PDA

View Full Version : Interview of Bashar on Prothom Alo Stadium

fwullah
July 23, 2006, 09:48 AM
I am not sure if anyone has posted anything on this before, Prothom Alo has taken an interview of Habibul Bashar on their stadium issue today (Sunday) and there's also a little piece on Ashraful.

Its all in bengali.

fwullah
July 23, 2006, 10:11 AM
Link: http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/feature.php?CategoryID=15&Date=2006-07-23

shujan
July 23, 2006, 12:28 PM
Mojar interview. :)

sunny747
July 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
[বাংলা]khub bhalo laglo[/বাংলা]

BangladeshFan
July 23, 2006, 05:42 PM
interesting to read bashar and ash feelings. not surprisingly bashar is the selfish guy. he only increased his practice seeing pilot, an honest admission but it also shows his laid back character. ash is the true champion, if only bd has a batting coach who could change ash to a more performing one....

al Furqaan
July 23, 2006, 06:54 PM
can some please translate teh main pts, please.

Mohiul
July 23, 2006, 07:25 PM
খুব ভালো লাগলো

SMHasan
July 23, 2006, 10:30 PM
I am not sure if anyone has posted anything on this before, Prothom Alo has taken an interview of Habibul Bashar on their stadium issue today (Sunday) and there's also a little piece on Ashraful.

Its all in bengali.

Fullah, its time to say bangla rather than bengali!! Its time to create something new, its time to keep the original, its time to give the british words back to them! As india is doing now.

Rabz
July 24, 2006, 03:03 AM
nice interview...

Tigers_eye
July 24, 2006, 02:57 PM
For those who can't read bangla fonts:
<O:p
Summary of the interview: (it is not a word for word or sentence by sentence translation)<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Q. Is there any added feelings after winning the best player award from the other day?<O:p</O:p
Habibul Bashar: This award ranks very high to me as I said before. Those who were in the jury board they all were great players. All have their own identity. I heard their names when I was boy. The best player award coming from them is a great feeling.<O:p</O:p
Q. This award focused on the captaincy rather than the individual performance. Did you enjoy the captaincy?<O:p</O:p
HB: To tell you the truth, I myself was a little skeptical about the captaincy. There were lots of talk at the time. That was natural because I didn't captain a team like that before. I took it as a challenge. Everyone now believes we can win when we take the field. This is a different kind of feeling. In two years of captaincy this is what I have cherished the most. Obviously I am not the sole reason for this. With everyone's help we changed the team.<O:p</O:p

Q. When you were growing up did you think you could take cricket as a career? Had you ever thought about becoming the captain of the national team and hoisting the best player trophy?<O:p</O:p
HB: No, didn't think. In 1989, when I started to play <ST1:pSchool</ST1:p cricket, the games were part of entertainment and fun. Two three years later when I started to play <ST1:pDhaka</ST1:p league I got reimbursed (money). I had idols like Bulbul bhai, Nannu bhai, Faruque bhai, Atahar bhai, Lipu bhai. Never thought I could get to their level because I weren't as good as them then. Now when I think I won the 2005 best player award, it seems funny. The truth is, when I started, it never crossed my mind that I would come so far, would get so much of admiration.<O:p</O:p

Q. What was the turning point from not so good player to now? Was there anything that totally transformed you?<O:p</O:p
HB: Not one there were several incidents. Not that dramatic though. Getting a call for the national team in '95, '97 and ICC trophy team and the get cut each time. Then playing good in <ST1:pDhaka</ST1:p league and not making in the first 25 for the 99 world cup team. That was may be my first turning point. Just got married at that time. Lots of responsibilities on my shoulder. Thought of quitting cricket at one point. I got very serious after that.<O:p</O:p
Pilot's one incident also changed me tremendously. We were in a BKSP camp. Every week we got 2 days rest. Usually players left the compound on those off days. Saw Pilot was staying back. Asked him, "thekey jachhish <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=Bangladesh</ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:PlaceName w:st=Nirman</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">kano</st1:City></ST1:p? Why are you staying?" He said he would train those two days. That when it struck me. The camp was closed and he would train? Never had I thought one could practice out the team environment or one would need to put extra effort in spare time. I stayed back with Pilot. Trained with him the whole two days. From then onwards whenever I had a chance to train I didn't miss the opportunity.<O:p</O:p

Q. In test, when bat you try to dominate the bowlers. Is this notion preconceived?<O:p</O:p
HB: I love to hit shots all the time (this one bothers me - Cats_eye). In test cricket there is an advantage you can find lots of gaps. If you can play the shots correctly you will get runs. ODI the fielding is more scattered and the bowlers bowl defensively. I have experienced in test, if you try to play too defensive, the bowlers get on top of you. That's why, my mindset is, I will hit the balls those beg to be hit. I have started my career with that vision. If one can hit the lose balls properly, the pressure transfers to the bowlers.<O:p</O:p

Q. I am skipping media glorification....and the next one.<O:p</O:p

Q. Which innings is your favorite innings in a test?<O:p</O:p
HB: I have few of them. One of them would be the century at <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pSaint Lucia</ST1:p</st1:country-region>. I think that was my best innings. The entire innings I was under my control. I could hit whichever shots I wanted to play. (2001) Our first trip at <ST1:p<st1:country-region w:st="on">Zimbabwe</st1:country-region></ST1:p, in the second tests second innings I made 76. That was one of my favorite innings as well, although I could not finish well. If I could have bat a little more on the fifth day I could have scored a century.<O:p</O:p

Q. 2000 to 2006. How far BD Cricket has improved? Some still say it was not right to award <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh </ST1:p</st1:country-region>the test status.<O:p</O:p
HB: I want to say this firmly, I do not agree with them. Test Cricket is very different. You can't compare this with anything. You may play at any level but can't match the standard of test cricket. I speaking from my own experience, one has to play test cricket to get to that standard. If we didn't get the test status in 2000, then we would have struggled six more years and perhaps then we may have reached our current stage. If you look at the past two years, we have started to push around other teams. There was a time when the Sri Lankan players use to retire against us. In the last series, they really had to work hard to earn a victory. I am certain in two years we will beat them. One must understand test cricket is not that easy. If you want to compete at this level then you must play at this level. We got this because we played for six years at this level. Many have questioned <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh</ST1:p</st1:country-region>'s test status. We have proved many of them wrong. We will prove the rest of them wrong as well.<O:p</O:p

Q. Are you satisfied of being the best player of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh</ST1:p</st1:country-region>? Do a self evaluation of your career.<O:p</O:p
HB: We are out of Cricket and the other day I picked up a magazine. Looking at my career stats I became disheartened. In test, 3 centuries, and 23 half centuries. Was thinking, if I could convert seven of those 23 in to centuries then I would have 10 centuries which would put me in a list with some great batsmen. Was feeling sad. Who doesn't want to be with the greats? That would have happened if could only turn those 50's into 100's.<O:p</O:p

Q. At the beginning 50's were a big deal. Now you know you have the capability of turning these fifties into hundreds. Or you are having a mental breakdown?<O:p</O:p
HB: May be, there is a mental barrier. I use to feel tension in the start of the innings. Now I feel that after I reach fifty. but now I am not getting out right after crossing 50. Getting 70-80 runs. If we could play some test in this time I may have solved the problem because I was in getting runs.<O:p</O:p

Q. After the debut, you said you would try to have a test average of 40. Is it still a target?<O:p</O:p
HB: Yes!! That is still my target. Now my test average is 34-35. I would like to take this to 40's. I have 3 hundreds. I want to have 5/6 more hundreds.<O:p</O:p

Q. Can you explain the change in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh </ST1:p</st1:country-region>team?<O:p</O:p
HB: There has been a lot of change. Now if someone is out of the 11, he all day long helps other to prepare/practice. This is a great change. This didn't happen before. Previously, when someone got cut or missed out the 11, he would be pretty upset (Hehehe!! reminds me off chacha. - Cats_eye). Now the player who got cut would let anyone know his inner feelings (I think Bashar is talking about Rajin). This is a great thing. Our team spirit is very high. We all stay together, have fun together. On the field and off the field. To me the biggest thing is one helping other mentality.<O:p</O:p
Among changes on the fields, we have number of performers now. I am not the only one to score a 50. Others are scoring runs too. Ashraful is scoring; Aftab is playing well, Sometimes, Shariar Nafis, Rajin scoring runs. Sometimes Javed (Where are you spitty?). Back in the days. we would have seen the hand few same players are scoring runs. Now many are playing well. In bowling it is no longer only Rafiq. The pacers are doing well. Rasel-Rajib (Shahadat) are doing well. And there is Mashrafe. Number of performers have grown in our team. Number of contributors are higher. Best of the increase is belief. Believing we can win.<O:p</O:p

Q. Do you have any captain as an Idol?<O:p</O:p
HB: My favorite captain is Saurav Ganguly. In his time, may be many would say Steve Waugh as the greatest captain, but I would say Ganguly had a harder task. Steve Waugh's team had all great players. Everyone professional and well aware of the duties. Australian team is more so like the army. If they make me as their captain all would fall in line behind me. Whereas, Saurav had to fight against many things. As far as I heard, many of the players didn't want him. Fighting against everything Saurav had changed the Indian team. His contribution to the current Indian attitude is immense. I can see some similarities with Saurav. In my beginning of my captaincy, the questions were asked if I could do it or not. I myself wasn't that sure either. However, I got full support from my teammates. I can't say how much of that Saurav received. On the field, it seemed Saurav was tougher as well ( I think comparing to Steve). He was different.<O:p</O:p

Q. That Saurav's ending reminds the uncertainty of a professional athlete. Today you have so much popularity, all can end very quickly. Do you have this fear?<O:p</O:p
HB: If you climb the top of the mountain, you would still have a fear of falling. It is as hard as to climb from the bottom to the top as easy to fall down. I didn't like Saurav's ending. As much as he has given to the Indian team he deserved better. Yes, if you are sports professional you have this in back of your mind. If you can't perform, no one will take you along. I do not believe in this. In the past what you have done, you should not ask return for that. As I never think as, now I am performing well so when time comes I can't perform I would still be with the team. A performer must perform the stay in the team.<O:p</O:p

Q. Who is your closest friend in the team?<O:p</O:p
HB: Our team is mostly made of young players. I, Javed, Pilot, Rafiq are contemporaries. We have a very good relationship. But, I have been playing with Javed for a long time, since 1989. We always have small fights. Many times, have said, I don't want to see your face after we retire. Many years together. Javed is the closest. My relationship with the juniors are like a friend. When I came to national team there was a distance between the juniors and the seniors. We don't have that now.<O:p</O:p

Q. What do you do in leisure time?<O:p</O:p
HB: I love to read books. Watch TV. <O:p</O:p

Q. Who is your favorite writer?<O:p</O:p
HB: I like Shirshendu Mukhopadhai's work. <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Humayun Ahmed</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Mo.</st1:State></ST1:p Jafr Iqbal is also my favorite.<O:p</O:p

Q. How would your best dream go?<O:p</O:p
HB: All my dreams are sports related. Outside sports, my life is dull. For example: Playing at Lords, got a century before lunch. Naa, to too much. Century before tea. But the most a Dream of is last day in test, <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh </ST1:p</st1:country-region>needing 300 to win. I score a century and steer the team to victory. This is my real dream.

sadi
July 24, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks cats_eye bhai

Fazal
July 24, 2006, 05:10 PM
Money Hoi Cats_eye bhai-er boss Chuti-te.

al Furqaan
July 25, 2006, 12:26 AM
very well done, cats eye bhai...jazak allah

thebest
July 25, 2006, 06:53 AM
Q. Who is your closest friend in the team?<O:p</O:p
HB: Our team is mostly made of young players. I, Javed, Pilot, Rafiq are contemporaries. We have a very good relationship. But, I have been playing with Javed for a long time, since 1989. We always have small fights. Many times, have said, I don't want to see your face after we retire. Many years together. Javed is the closest. My relationship with the juniors are like a friend. When I came to national team there was a distance between the juniors and the seniors. We don't have that now.
This is the only reason for JO occupying a place. Please treat your friend not at the expense of Bangladesh team. You are my favourite tiger. Don't push me to start a thread againest your neopotism. Drop him from the team. At least you could make him the fielding coach.<O:p</O:p

Rabz
July 25, 2006, 07:16 AM
[/color]
This is the only reason for JO occupying a place. Please treat your friend not at the expense of Bangladesh team. You are my favourite tiger. Don't push me to start a thread againest your neopotism. Drop him from the team. At least you could make him the fielding coach.<O:p</O:p

just because he said JO is his closest friend in the team doesnt mean he is giving him a free ticket. that was simply an answer to a question. dont take it fm that context and blow it out of proportion. it had to be either JO, pilot or rafiq..wudnt it ?? cuz they r the senior ones...

Bashar bn captain for 3 yrs.. JO is playin for almost 8-9 years now..

im no JO lover, but dont like this kind of generalisation.
for JO, for a long time its bn a case of
Damned if he does
Damned if he does not

thebest
July 25, 2006, 08:55 AM
dear sydney,
there is no other logic for JO to be in One day team except due to his friendship with the captain. don't forget he also played with all the selectors. I am not asking selection of Rafiq, Pilot in the team. I am not a fan of either of them particulerly Pilot. But Pilot and Rafiq still irreplaceable in Bangladesh team but JO making Bangladesh a 10 men team. I could not find any logic of JO's selection which some of us was actually looking. HB's comment is the most authentic reason for his selection, which I deduct. Neopotism is not new in subcontinent's cricket. How many of you know Rizwan-uz-zaman. He is Imran Khan's brother in law and played for Pakistan for a whole series againest India. Similar example exist in India , Srilanka (the most famous one is dada and atapattu). Dada shined but his past performance in domestic compt. was not worthy for India cap. Similarly, after the horrible start by Atapattu, if he did not have powerful brother in law in the form of Ranatunga, he could not get to shine for Sri Lanka. These are examples of success stories though their seed lies in neopotism. There must be other exaqmples.

Tigers_eye
July 25, 2006, 09:05 AM
Trust me we don't have a captain who could go to the selectors (his seniors) and say I need so and so in my team. The coach, the selectors have a say who should be included in the team. Not our norom-dhorom captain who only gets appointed by a series or a year extension. Comparing strong charecters like Imran, Ranatunga and dada to our HB is well you can come up with the adjectives. Those figures demanded attention.

Rabz
July 25, 2006, 09:07 AM
dear thebest,
the examples are in abundance.. let me give u one also, young Mushfiq is in the team so frequently because he hails fm Bogra, the town of our PM.

JO is in the team for his performance.. though his style of batting has been agonisingly testing our patience for a long time, but the question is, who is so consistent and a super performer in the team ??

i really dont want to start the whole JO thing all over again. im sure, u like me as well, been there done that.. just tired of that age old argument..

lets focus on the series and let us stop fighting over a line of comment made by our captain on a certain interview.

cheers !!

thebest
July 25, 2006, 09:15 AM
dear thebest,
the examples are in abundance.. let me give u one also, young Mushfiq is in the team so frequently because he hails fm Bogra, the town of our PM.

JO is in the team for his performance.. though his style of batting has been agonisingly testing our patience for a long time, but the question is, who is so consistent and a super performer in the team ??

i really dont want to start the whole JO thing all over again. im sure, u like me as well, been there done that.. just tired of that age old argument..

lets focus on the series and let us stop fighting over a line of comment made by our captain on a certain interview.

cheers !!

You may be right on Mushy. I agree with all those your comments except the one in bold. I would just ask when and againest whom? Please remeber I maintain an extensive database on JO.:)

Rabz
July 25, 2006, 09:41 AM
dear thebest,
then why dont u go thru your extensive database on JO, find out his total runs, average, strike rate, consistency etc etc and compare them with rest of the team...
wud that be way too low or way to insignificant... lets say if faired against the so-called superstars of our team??

i told u before, and im telling u again, im not a JO lover, i sometimes question his inclusion as well. but i cant just judge my decision based on one time when Bashar said JO is his closest freind WITHIN the team members, mind u...not his best freind. that would be unfair to JO. thats all.

Sovik
July 25, 2006, 10:56 AM
I don't hate javed but i just don't like him but i don't think he is in the team because of Sumon.

fwullah
July 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
Bashar's position in the team is not always certain - not in ODIs anyway, so we can't say that Bashar has some sort of power in choosing which players will be in the team or not.

There is the possibility of Bashar becoming that powerful if we go into the Semifinals of the next world cup or something.