PDA

View Full Version : Latest news from Zimbabwe

sadi
July 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
I thought we need a thread for all the latest update from Zimbabwe. So, here is the latest I found on tigercricket:

<TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table1 style="WIDTH: 482px; HEIGHT: 196px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=482 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Adventure Africa: Tigers set for practice game
TigerCricket.com report from Harare
25-July-2006

<TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table3 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=#000080 cellPadding=0 width=120 align=right borderColorLight=#006699 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Under brilliant sunshine, clear blue skies and with a cool soothing breeze blowing the Bangladesh cricket team completed their first practice session at the Harare Sports Club today (Tuesday) morning.

Having arrived in Zimbabwe the day before, the cricketers just had a walkabout on Monday afternoon and the priority set by the coaching staff has been to get comfortable with the conditions as early as possible.

Today's practice that had nets and fielding, lasted about three hours with all the players except wicket-keeper Khaled Mashud participating. Mashud has a minor chest infection and but team's physio Paul Close believes he will be ready for the first ODI which is on July 29.

Tomorrow the Tigers play a practice match against Zmbabwe A which Mashud will miss but coach Dav Whatmore has the option to take a look at the other 15 available as both sides have agreed to allow using more than 11 players. The Zimbabwe A side also trained at the Harare Sports Club and coach Andy Pycroft will field a youthful team against the visitors which has quick bowler Chris Mpofu and some other who have faced Bangladeshi selections, namely the A side a couple of weeks ago, before.

The game starts at 9:30am local time (1:30pm Bangladesh Standard Time).

</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=487 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=normtext vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rabz
July 25, 2006, 08:57 AM
thnx for the newsmate..but i dont think we need any more zimbabwe threads other than match ones...there's bn already too many threads relating zimbabwe and the tour... u might ask the mods to merge it any of them....

Tigers_eye
July 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
I am sure there will be more controversial news with Mashud in this long trip. Rafiq may flair up (past history). Broadcasting news can be put in here, if any. Anyways, all these extra topics can go in this thread rather than creating individual threads.

Thanks for the news Sadi. Looks like we will have a good series.

sadi
July 25, 2006, 09:43 AM
Well rather than making a thread for every individual news report from zimbabwe, its better to have a thread with all the news... Mod, if you feel like its an unnecessary thread, please merge or delete... thank you

SS
July 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
Pilot is cetainly loosing his temper and as he is one of the players who is had previous incidences. Though I don't blame him as he contributed lot of our cricket team and being sensitive and emotional could ba natural instinct as this point of his successful career. I don't blame it because even myself I face similar type of situations at work when coporate politics kick in and throw me out from their group.

Omio
July 25, 2006, 10:27 AM
are na, sadi vai, eta important thread,,
tnx for news aswell

sadi
July 25, 2006, 10:30 AM
Pilot is cetainly loosing his temper and as he is one of the players who is had previous incidences. Though I don't blame him as he contributed lot of our cricket team and being sensitive and emotional could ba natural instinct as this point of his successful career. I don't blame it because even myself I face similar type of situations at work when coporate politics kick in and throw me out from their group.

yeah I guess players do feel insecure sometimes... specially wicketkeepers because there is only one spot and you can lose it before you know it...

fwullah
July 25, 2006, 11:16 AM
So, who else will play in the Zimbabwe A side besides MPofu? He was quite ineffective in Bangladesh earlier when our national team played against him, but he could be a handful on those Zimbabwan pitches.

bapzmania
July 25, 2006, 12:00 PM
Musfiq gonna play as wicketkeepr in the practise match..they sed pilot is lil bit ill........

Fazal
July 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
Musfiq gonna play as wicketkeepr in the practise match..they sed pilot is lil bit ill........

Isn't it too early to say in present tense? Shouldn't it be , "they sed pilot will be lil bit ill.." or something like that?

Sorry
July 25, 2006, 12:42 PM
Isn't it too early to say in present tense? Shouldn't it be , "they sed pilot will be lil bit ill.." or something like that?
In the other thread chinaman stated that we are non- native English speakers and as a result we are more prone to mistakes. I think you should forgive him on that ground if underage ground is considered to be too frail.

TheWatcher
July 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
In the other thread chinaman stated that we are non- native English speakers and as a result we are more prone to mistakes. I think you should forgive him on that ground if underage ground is considered to be too frail.
Sorry, I enjoy reading your post, but can't you please use bigger fonts ?

Fazal
July 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
I think you should forgive him on that ground if underage ground is considered to be too frail.

As you say sir.

sadi
July 25, 2006, 01:23 PM
Mashud to miss tour opener
Sports Reporter

Khaled Mashud will miss the tour opener practice match when the visiting Bangladesh take on Zimbabwe A in a limited-overs match at the Harare Sports Club ground today.

The veteran wicketkeeper-batsman has a minor chest infection, which has opened up an opportunity for back-up Mushfiqur Rahim to stand behind the stumps in the only build-up game before the five-match one-day series.

Habibul Bashar's men had nets and fielding sessions yesterday at the venue, which lasted about three hours with all the players except Mashud present.
"Under brilliant sunshine, clear blue skies and with a cool soothing breeze blowing the Bangladesh cricket team completed their first practice session at the Harare Sports Club today (Tuesday) morning," reported the Bangladesh Cricket Board's (BCB) official website.

It must be mentioned that the selection of the second stumper for only eight one-dayers in the African safari was a talking point at home and the selectors had defended it as saying that the comparatively easy tours allowed them to enjoy the luxury.

But the fact is that the long-serving former Bangladesh skipper Mashud, still unparallel as a keeper, has come under scrutiny following his poor form with the bat, both in domestic and international circuits.

Referring team physio Paul Close, the BCB website however added that he will be available for the first ODI to be held on July 29 at the same venue.

Mashud might miss the warm-up game but coach Dav Whatmore has the option to have a look at the other 15 players available as both sides have agreed to allow using more than 11 players.
Bangladesh team had landed Zimbabwean capital Harare on Monday morning after a long 31-hour journey and the cricketers just had a walkabout in the afternoon as the priority set by the coaching staff has been to get comfortable with the conditions as early as possible.

Meanwhile, the Zimbabwe A side also trained at the Harare Sports Club yesterday and coach Andy Pycroft will field a youthful team including quick bowler Chris Mpofu and some others who have faced Bangladeshi selections, namely the A side, a couple of weeks earlier.
Squad
Habibul Bashar (captain), Mohammad Ashraful, Shahriar Nafees, Rajin Saleh, Javed Omar, Aftab Ahmed, Mushfiqur Rahim, Alok Kapali, Khaled Mashud, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafee Bin Mortuza, Abdur Razzak, Syed Rasel, Shahadat Hossain, Forhad Reza and Sakib Al Hasan.

Source: The Daily Star

Sorry
July 25, 2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I enjoy reading your post, but can't you please use bigger fonts ?
Sorry mate, I will use bigger fonts from now. I was just overconscious about my close reading ability and was exercising small fonts reading ability from certain distance, as you may be aware that when you get older you start to become presbyopic, a condtion that requires reading specs.

TheWatcher
July 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
Amardesh (http://amardesh.u46.futurecrafts.com/sub_section.php?NewsID=43615&NewsType=bistarito) said deal has been done with the Zimbabwean coach that both teams can play more than eleven players (in rotation) in the practice match.

Hmmm, that means JO has a fair chance to bat tommorrow. I guess Spity will shoot thru his roof if JO scores anything big :lol:

sadi
July 25, 2006, 10:27 PM
yeah probably all the batsmen will get a chance to bat and all the bowlers will bowl also... really looking forward to it... lets see how sakib and forhad, the two newcomer do... i guess whoever do well might get a chance in number 6 position... unless they want to go with kapali again

Andy-Flower
July 26, 2006, 01:01 AM
We have a couple of players with some ODIs experience in Keith Dabengwa, Antony Ireland, Duffin if hes not too tired, Gregory Strydom

sadi
July 26, 2006, 01:15 PM
Tigers off to a winning start
Sports Reporter

Tearaway Mashrafee Bin Mortuza made a brilliant start in his maiden tour to Zimbabwe as Bangladesh won the lone limited-over practice game by five wickets against Zimbabwe Board XI at the Alexandra Sports Club ground in Harare yesterday.

The 22-year-old right-arm paceman, who is the only player in the 16-member squad not to have visited the southern African nation before, claimed five wickets for 29 runs to restrict the home team to 198-8 in the allotted 50 overs.
Bangladesh then rode on a blazing 60 by dashing Aftab Ahmed, who had left his mark with a sparkling ton in the final practice match at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur, to overhaul the total with 199 for five in 45.4 overs.

Opener Javed Omar scored the team's second highest with 45 while skipper Habibul Bashar chipped in with 38.

Tigers' skipper Bashar earlier won the toss and elected to field on a seamer-friendly track but the home team at one stage were in a good position with 107 for 2 before Mashrafee, dubbed as Narail Express, ripped apart their innings.

Paceman Shahadat Hossain, wily left-arm spinner Mohammad Rafique and part-time gentle medium pacer Aftab shared the remaining wickets equally for the visitors.

Zimbabwe Board XI innings was built around two half-centuries by Tinashe Hove (50) and Gregory Strydom (57).

"Mashrafee bowled brilliantly in the match. He not only exploited the condition but also bowled consistently on the right spot. It was nice to see him bowling his heart out on this beautiful ground," team manager Shafiqul Haque Hira told The Daily Star Sport over telephone from Harare.

"He certainly enjoyed his bowling and looked to have carried his form he had shown during the practice matches at home," he added.

The former national skipper also informed that wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud has recovered from his chest infection and is set to play the first one-dayer on Saturday.

"Mashud is now fully fit. He had a minor chest infection and was running high temperatures after a long journey but he is now okay. The conditions of the other players are also good and they are enjoying the pleasantly cool weather," Hira informed.
After two days break, Bangladesh will play their first one-day international of the five-match series on July 29 at the Harare Sports Club ground.

SCORES IN BRIEF
ZIM BOARD XI: 198 for 8 in 50 overs (Tinashe Hove 50, Gregory Strydom 57, Chauluka 27; Mashrafee 5-29, Aftab, Rafique and Shahadat 1wkt each).
Bangladesh: 199 for 5 in 45.4 overs (Aftab 60, Shahriar Nafees 12, Javed 45, Bashar 38, Mushfiqur 15 not out).

Source: The Daily Star

Rabz
July 27, 2006, 01:13 AM
Andy mate..looks like ur prediction is coming true..
Aftab the Zimbabwe killer !!
go Aftab

HereWeGo
July 27, 2006, 02:09 AM
Does neone know abt the jersey the team will be wearing. If it is better than the one they wore against kenya at Dhaka? cuz surely it cant be worst. Probably a bad topic for discussion but was just curious.

Sovik
July 27, 2006, 06:43 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/64700/64754.jpg

Rabz
July 27, 2006, 07:05 AM
is that the convention of inter-state national clowns ??

two really important colours r missing..pink and orange

Sovik
July 27, 2006, 07:14 AM
Mohammad Rafiq is picking his nose. red & green are the colors of our flag but whats up with yellow

akabir77
July 27, 2006, 08:12 AM
Yellow is for tigers/australia....

sadi
July 27, 2006, 08:19 AM
disgusting color choice

SS
July 27, 2006, 08:44 AM
disgusting color choice
yea the color combination could have been better. They tried to put red and green combo based on national flag, i believe.
Can we appeal to ICC for changing this color or little bit modifying the design? What you guys think?

al Furqaan
July 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
hey andy,

whats the latest on zimbabwe's squad? will they be sending their strongest possible side? i heard that rainsford and ireland may be playing.

thanks for any info

AsifTheManRahman
July 27, 2006, 10:57 AM
the green is kinda khet. should've been darker. and we shouldn't be wearing yellow just as the italian soccer team shouldn't be wearing blue.

sadi
July 27, 2006, 10:57 AM
we will get to see how good this rainsford kid is... hearing a lot about him lately

sadi
July 27, 2006, 12:04 PM
<TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table1 style="WIDTH: 482px; HEIGHT: 196px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=482 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Adventure Africa: Tigers train hard
TigerCricket.com Report from Harare
27-July-2006</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=487 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=normtext vAlign=top><TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table3 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=#000080 cellPadding=0 width=120 align=right borderColorLight=#006699 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.tigercricket.com/Image/bcb_logo.jpg
With a bit of local knowledge in the bag, courtesy of their practice match against the Zimbabwe Board XI on Wednesday, the Bangladesh team settled for another intense yet joy filled training session at the Harare Sports Club today (Thursday) morning.
The cricketers divided into two groups, namely batsmen versus bowlers, had two stumps at two ends to aim at in the manner of playing handball with a rocket-shaped inflated dart. This was the main part of warm-up and the batsmen had the last laugh courtesy of a Mohammad Ashraful bulls-eye hit. Then it was time for the nets and fielding.
Pace ace Mashrafee Mortaza, who got 5/29 in the practice game, took rest from Thursday's training while his partner Shahadat had a short spell in the nets. Wicket-keeper Khaled Mashud, who is recovering well from a minor chest infection, joined practice for the first time on the tour and mainly concentrated on batting.
The tour contingent had their lunch at the Sport's Club's Keg & Maiden lounge where the t-bone steak turned out to be the most popular item among the visitors. In the afternoon the team is scheduled to return to the Harare Sports Club for Zimbabwe Cricket's cocktail reception.
Bangladesh are likely to name their squad for Saturday's first ODI tomorrow (Friday).

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

al Furqaan
July 27, 2006, 03:09 PM
so ash is is champion handball player as well...how inadequate does he make the rest of his teammates feel, i wonder?

TheWatcher
July 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
BD Khela report (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=21234&iCategoryID=1&iColumnistID=) said BD announced the following team for the first ODI-

SN
JO
Aftab
Ashraful
Bashar
Kapali
Mashud
Rafique
Mashrafe
Razzak
Shahadat

Miraz
July 28, 2006, 12:35 PM
Why Kapali is so Kopali to get chance ahead of Rajin/Forhad ???

mac
July 28, 2006, 12:45 PM
kapali!:-/ Where is Rajin?

sadi
July 28, 2006, 01:09 PM
kapali!:-/ Where is Rajin?

Kapali plays at number 6... he competes with sakib and forhad for this spot... I guess Rajin lost out to Javed omar for the opening spot but we will see him sometime in the series thats for sure....

AsifTheManRahman
July 28, 2006, 01:12 PM
A piece by Steven Price. He doesn't mention our whitewash of Kenya.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/zimvbdesh/content/story/254860.html

Fazal
July 28, 2006, 01:17 PM
BD Khela report (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=21234&iCategoryID=1&iColumnistID=) said BD announced the following team for the first ODI-

I hope BD Khela report is wrong. Too bad too bad .... what a boring team against the weakest of the weak.

sadi
July 28, 2006, 01:21 PM
the daily star reports the same thing and I think that will be the lineup... for the first game, its good to be conservative but I will be disappointed not to see some youngster later on

SS
July 28, 2006, 01:27 PM
Kapali score hundred in practice match that opened up the slot( what a "kopal")
Ash, as usual, our latent batsmen will show what BD team is capable of
JO, my man, will be front holding the anchor first
and our "kaptan" is there to guide us...
Shahadat has to know how to use the "ball". giving bounce and breaking helmet won't do anything to these Zimb, they are stubborn and can stay in the crease for hours.
hoping kapali & Razzak can check the runs with Rafique in middle overs.

kalpurush
July 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
Team management is playing a safe game in the first ODI. They might want to see the condition of the field as well the Zimbabwe squad and select the team accordingly for the rest of the ODI's?

israr
July 28, 2006, 02:08 PM
lets begin the carnivaaallllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!

mac
July 28, 2006, 02:33 PM
Team management is playing a safe game in the first ODI.
Is this really safe to waste 50+ balls by including JO?

Thunder
July 28, 2006, 09:20 PM
i dont know why Rajin is not in the team. He should be playing in opening spot with nafis...:mad:

al Furqaan
July 28, 2006, 09:49 PM
i dont know why Rajin is not in the team. He should be playing in opening spot with nafis...:mad:

i agree...we need to wean ourselves of javed...javed's style is such that probably he is the ony person who could score a match-losing century.

by the same toke...which ever of the 2, razzak and rajib, fails after 2 matches...rasel should come in for the remainder of the matches.

Dhakablues
July 28, 2006, 11:35 PM
Javed always scored in Zimbabwe,, strangely enough, he is the consistent perfomer against Zimbabwe. I think, after the 3rd game, if Bangladesh has won the series they will start to infuse the young blood. Unless, someone is scoring ducks or Zimbabwe scoring 87/10,, you wont see the new faces,,,

TheWatcher
July 28, 2006, 11:56 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=title width="100%">Zimbabwe aim to rubbish Bangladesh taunts

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=body vAlign=top width="100%"><!--body text-->HARARE: Kevin Curran has picked up the gauntlet thrown down by Dav Whatmore ahead of the first one-day international between Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in Harare today.

Bangladesh coach Whatmore declared his team favourites for the five-match series, although he conceded that the foreign conditions might change the odds.

"That's great, let them feel that they are favourites, we always like a challenge," Zimbabwe coach Curran told yesterday.

"If we were playing against Australia we would be struggling to think about a (positive) result, but in this game we know we can match them in all departments.

"It's all about half-chances, and what happens on the day."
The full article (http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=151004&Sn=SPOR&IssueID=29131)

PoorFan
July 29, 2006, 02:14 AM
"It's all about half-chances, and what happens on the day."
Lets show them ... is it 'half chances' or not. Besides, what else he have to say as a coach ... just before the game?

israr
July 29, 2006, 02:46 PM
Whatmore........... What more is left for us in this series?