PDA

View Full Version : Is Our Excitement regarding Zimbabwe Series Justifiable?

HereWeGo
July 26, 2006, 02:06 AM
Well Frankly speaking this is the first time that we are going to Zimbabwe being complete favorites. And almost certainly we will achieve our mission being the first Bangladeshi team to win a series abroad. But honestly speaking, do you think that this series win will make a difference to how the world will percieve Bangladesh Cricket? I surely dont think so. Even if we beat the Zimbabwe team convincingly 5 -0, i still don think that the cricket world would percieve us as a team that could have beaten the Zimbabwe team with players like Heath Streak, Stuart Carlisle, Grant Flower, Craig Wishart, Andy Blignaut, Raymond Price, Gary Brent, Sean Irvine, Travis Friend, Barney Rogers, Trevor Gripper, Richard Simms, Neil Ferreria, Charles Coventry, Gavin Ewing , Taibu.

On the positive note some of our players will improve their averages, our team record will also improve and our players will get some exposure after a long slumber. But is the excitement of beating a mediocre Zimbabwe team worth celebrating and are we trying to live in a fools paradise?

Rabz
July 26, 2006, 02:21 AM
i think it is mate.. remember, regardless of zims current size and shape, its still is an international series.. thumping our nails here would show the clear gap between us and the other upcoming nations ( zim included based on thier current situation).

history talks in terms of facts and files. we win this series, regardless of the team, it would be recorded in history as our first overseas victory. that would also clearly indicate our progress into the top cricketing nation. offcourse its not the same as winning against the big boys.. but once we learn to win against the weaker ones on a regular basis, we grow the habit of winning and there is a lot to take from it.
our players become more confident in their abilities.

eg, after a clean sweep against kenya.. look how our players played against Australia. they knew they had something to offer and they delivered it beautifully in first two days of the first test.

it also gets the moral high for the players.
its all about confidence and self believing.

and as this is the first series after such a long break, i guess all the excitment and hype(among us) is justifiable.

Ejaj
July 26, 2006, 05:03 AM
I am sorry.. if this is a relavent post?. I mean, its completely a personal matter whether someone has any reason to get excite about it or not. I just dont see why it is such a thread material.!!
No offence intended.

PoorFan
July 26, 2006, 05:34 AM
HereWeGo again ... I saw same thread when we were playing Kenya and Zim before.

Rabz
July 26, 2006, 05:52 AM
HereWeGo again ... I saw same thread when we were playing Kenya and Zim before.

history repeats itself..
and we r just mere mortals:D

TheWatcher
July 26, 2006, 06:00 AM
As Ejaj said, cricket is a sport, and there is not need to justify why should you enjoy seeing your team win.

And as Sydney said, it is not like we are playing Namibia or UAE here. Zimbabwe is a team that is at least capable of crushing Bermuda and Canada (a team that has badly beaten us just three years back). So, if BD team shows the discipline to beat Zim on their own backyard five-nill, I don't see why we should not appreciate that. I probably won't get carried away with that result, but will still consider that as a pretty good indication of our progress.

israr
July 26, 2006, 07:16 AM
hey Zimbabwe is still an international team, thery're almost upto our level, they're better than Kenya and we're not playing against a team like Bermuda, hence, we should be excited about the coming series.

Rubu
July 26, 2006, 07:28 AM
either all excitement regarding our team is justified or none is. depends on how you look at it.

Sovik
July 26, 2006, 07:32 AM
Well Frankly speaking this is the first time that we are going to Zimbabwe being complete favorites. And almost certainly we will achieve our mission being the first Bangladeshi team to win a series abroad. But honestly speaking, do you think that this series win will make a difference to how the world will percieve Bangladesh Cricket? I surely dont think so. Even if we beat the Zimbabwe team convincingly 5 -0, i still don think that the cricket world would percieve us as a team that could have beaten the Zimbabwe team with players like Heath Streak, Stuart Carlisle, Grant Flower, Craig Wishart, Andy Blignaut, Raymond Price, Gary Brent, Sean Irvine, Travis Friend, Barney Rogers, Trevor Gripper, Richard Simms, Neil Ferreria, Charles Coventry, Gavin Ewing , Taibu.

On the positive note some of our players will improve their averages, our team record will also improve and our players will get some exposure after a long slumber. But is the excitement of beating a mediocre Zimbabwe team worth celebrating and are we trying to live in a fools paradise?

why can't we be excited. I saw west indian's did when they beat zimbabwe in their home ground. Lara was very excited, so why can't we. I saw indian's celebrating when sachin & others hammered centuries against them. so why can't we when our boys will score one or two.Bangladesh is playing very well for few months and we can't expect good results against aussie, england or south africa other than one or two upset wins. so this is our chance to be as optimistic, excited as we can. and its not that only we are excited. Zimbabwean are too. they are also looking for opportunities to shine. they have talents, this is also their chance to show the world that even with the mediocre team they can produce satisfactory, posotive results.

and for me, i am always excited to see bangladesh playing. And the world will appreciate our win other than few fools,

israr
July 26, 2006, 08:07 AM
Keep it up, sovik, you just reflected my notions.

Sovik
July 26, 2006, 08:10 AM
thanks mate. its our time to shine. god knows when we will start another series as favourite after this african tour. may be against west indies but not very soon.

Tigers_eye
July 26, 2006, 08:47 AM
We are all excitied and that's how it should be. After beating Australia on a foreign soil the world still don't respect us because we are not consistant enough. This notion will continue if we keep losing in the test without a fight. No one questions our improvement on ODIs. We need more improvement. As for Zim's third string being an opponent, the world would not give us recognition and due credit for a white wash for sure. We don't care. We beat the 1st string few years back on their soil and almost won the series. This will be in the statistics column as the wins of big name teams against us.

HereWeGo
July 26, 2006, 11:08 AM
I guess that there is an overwhelming support AGAINST my notion. Honestly I myself is always excited wenever bangladesh is playing ne cricket. I even follow the players performance for their clubs. However I guess my points has been misunderstood a little. Whenever i heard the foreign media report out first test victory they always mention that we won against an understrength Zimbabwe side. I havent seen a single report where that fact was not mentioned. Now that we are on the verge of our first series win abroad i guess that the same fact will again be reiterated on the world media. Honestly i myself like to cherish our win againt the Aussies in the ODI more than our first test win. I am almost entirely sure and u can even ask Andy of Banglacricket if he believes that we are a better team. I am sure he will also agree with that notion. Ranking can be decieving ( MS Dhioni was the number 1 batsmen a few days back). This series will only make the ranking a little more justifiable and that is it. The respect for our team by the media wont get ne better I can assure u that. My only point was that over celebrating our first series win abroad and making it sound like an big achievement is not the way to go about things. We should be more practical. This team is still not good enough to have beaten the best Zimbabwe side possible.
And I am sorry, i wasnt aware that such a thread existed before. If someone finds it useless than please avoid it completely. People can have their own ideas and forum is a way of expresing them. We share a common pride about our country and game and insulting one another is not the way to buit unity. I am still a student of the game and i regret if i wasted ur time by making a useless thread and forcing u to read it!!!!

sadi
July 26, 2006, 11:16 AM
I guess its better to win and let people mention it was against an understrength team than lose and they mention it was against an understrength team. You can only play with the opposition given and if zimbabwe send their second or even third strength team, its their problem. It will still count as odis and thats what matters. If Australia can boost up their average against us, we can do the same thing as Zimbabwe. I am happy atleast we have someone to feast on. HOPEFULLY.

Tigers_eye
July 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2003-04/BDESH_IN_ZIM/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ZIM_ODI3_10MAR2004.html
Check out the following Zimbabwe lineup.
Streak, Flower, Rogers, Carlisle, Price, Taibu all the big names are there. Still they lost to Bangladesh. The match was held at harare sporting club.

So your statement of "This team is still not good enough to have beaten the best Zimbabwe side possible" is not correct.

About your "useless thread" comments, all I can say is, people here misunderstood you. Thanks for clearing it up.

Media wouldn't give our white wash deserved credit, thats for sure. But we don't care.

Sovik
July 26, 2006, 11:24 AM
This team is still not good enough to have beaten the best Zimbabwe side possible.

i thik we have a much better team and this team could beat the best zimbabwe side anytime

mshakir56
July 26, 2006, 11:29 AM
Well, what I think is that, it won't be that easy beating zimbabwe 5 times in a raw. why? because did you follow the practice match with zim A team. Bangladesh won the match, with only 4 overs and 1 ball remaining. and they couldn't restrict the A team to about 150. If Srilanka can restrict the BD National team within 150, then why can't Bangladeshes National team cant restrict Zimbabwes A team within 150? and win the match with at least 10 overs in hand.

Fazal
July 26, 2006, 12:30 PM
why can't we be excited.

yes why can't we? E ta ki karo Private shompotti naki. Amar Icha Hoiley Ami excited hobo.... Icha Na Hoiley Hobo na... Kar ki bolar ache heh ?

Now I am getting really excited.

akabir77
July 26, 2006, 01:02 PM
Well, what I think is that, it won't be that easy beating zimbabwe 5 times in a raw. why? because did you follow the practice match with zim A team. Bangladesh won the match, with only 4 overs and 1 ball remaining. and they couldn't restrict the A team to about 150. If Srilanka can restrict the BD National team within 150, then why can't Bangladeshes National team cant restrict Zimbabwes A team within 150? and win the match with at least 10 overs in hand.

Why r we so worried?? after just a single practice match? remember England was almost lost to BD dev team (After that match Nafis hit the brits spnniers as ordinary) so the 1/2 practice match r there to get in to the condition..I am happy with aftabs batting cause he is our main man. if he clicks captain can support him, golla Nafis can hit some time and at the end if ash can score quick 24 in 9 balls we will win all matches cause we have better firepower then them....

kalpurush
July 26, 2006, 01:07 PM

Decade back WI was the cricket superpower blessed with all the great batsmen and bowlers. Currently...what is their standard? We have to judge a team in present time what they are capable of. We are playing against the current Zimbabwe team and winning the series would surely put us on top of them in the ICC ranking. We will not be in the bottom of the list anymore then. Do you need any other cause to celebrate?!!

HereWeGo
July 27, 2006, 01:05 AM
Well Fazal, u have the right to be excited and so does everyone else. Infact even i love seeing my team play against any opposition in world cricket. My onlu point was that even if we win the series 5 - 0 the world media shall not praise our effort the same way as they would even if we win a single match against any other test playing nation. I have mentioned this fact on my second posting, i still do not understand the fuss. And lastly please be excited cuz that shows ur full support for the team. Go Bangladesh.

Rabz
July 27, 2006, 01:27 AM
@ herewego mate..
take it easy... we all r just expressing our veiws here.. if u feel no reason to be excited it all good.. and vice versa.. we all support BD, irrespective of the game or opponent. and that includes u me and everyone else here on BC, outside BC, anywhere in the world.. just keep it up though.. we need some fire before the game begins.. whats the point of a series if we don hv few silly arguments, debate, JO or no JO, few Ash bashing and on on on...

i say.. let the game begin..let us win

CricFanBD
July 27, 2006, 01:38 AM
why can't we be excited. I saw west indian's did when they beat zimbabwe in their home ground. Lara was very excited, so why can't we. I saw indian's celebrating when sachin & others hammered centuries against them. so why can't we when our boys will score one or two.Bangladesh is playing very well for few months and we can't expect good results against aussie, england or south africa other than one or two upset wins. so this is our chance to be as optimistic, excited as we can. and its not that only we are excited. Zimbabwean are too. they are also looking for opportunities to shine. they have talents, this is also their chance to show the world that even with the mediocre team they can produce satisfactory, posotive results.

and for me, i am always excited to see bangladesh playing. And the world will appreciate our win other than few fools,

Same from me. We are always excited when BD simply plays---against Kenya also, this is our characteristics. :flag:

Ejaj
July 27, 2006, 02:56 AM
Well Fazal, u have the right to be excited and so does everyone else. Infact even i love seeing my team play against any opposition in world cricket. My onlu point was that even if we win the series 5 - 0 the world media shall not praise our effort the same way as they would even if we win a single match against any other test playing nation. I have mentioned this fact on my second posting, i still do not understand the fuss. And lastly please be excited cuz that shows ur full support for the team. Go Bangladesh.

I would like to mention two things here. AS I understand, this is freedom of expression to express whatever you feel and you post it in the forum. I really hope you dont misunderstand me here. But, I believe you r the one who question the judgement of ppl who are getting excited about the series. Dont you think its a bit contradictory to what you have mentioned in your second post? Supporters will get carried away whatever game it is. Thats how fans react. ANd its universal.You simply can not question why ppl are excited.

Second of all, about recognition from the cricketing world and media, I really think its useless to even think about it. BD is going smooth and they will improve slowly. WE all have learn to ignore this biased criticism from media. It does not make any sense not to support/excite abt our team whenever they are playing against any opposition. Just becoz media will never give us some credit can not be a reason not to support our team. And frankly, you can never stop them criticising us. not just us, team like Srilanka is also one of their target all the time. Whenever they hit low, the media is all over them. On the other hand, Like England, they will give a front page article if they find some rookie boy who can actually spin. or will give them "Sir" title if they win one ashes. So.. this biased media will always be there and we just have to learn to live with that.

PoorFan
July 27, 2006, 03:34 AM
Second of all, about recognition from the cricketing world and media, I really think its useless to even think about it. .... It does not make any sense not to support/excite abt our team whenever they are playing against any opposition. Just becoz media will never give us some credit can not be a reason not to support our team.
That says all.:up:

SS
July 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
Who knew that media will be this much important and will have this much impact on emerging cricket nation like us. We came to lime light and then also our development process was keenly scrutinized, appreciated and later criticized by ICC and critics. That's the best part they can do as they are critics (including myself). But my criticism is not only biased and based on the performance of few cricketers who are not working hard and mostly BCB, organizers and politicians. But still my support as a supporter will always remain with our team.

Shakalaka
July 27, 2006, 11:08 AM
i just need some cricket!!Bring it On!

kalpurush
July 27, 2006, 02:19 PM
just have to wait 24 hours or so...

Hatebreed
July 27, 2006, 07:27 PM
Looking back at our losing streaks any true fan should be excited by the prospect of victory, especially on foreign soil! So of course it is justifiable.

ialbd
July 28, 2006, 03:07 AM
its always justifiable to me, whenever BD is playing (and will be playing) I'll try to watch/follow and support my team.

However I get what you are saying. Right now I am residing in BD and with the first ODI due tomorrow (saturday) I dont see anything special going around except for maybe some reports in the news. I have to say the advertising for the series is really poor out here as if not too many ppl are interested. The most disappointing incident for me was when I went to to buy Bangladesh Cricket Jersey in elephant road and a salesman told me 'ei season e koi paiben....'. Apparently Zimbabwe</ST1:p tour is not a good enough season for them to sell those jerseys where as the Brazil-Argentina shirts still dangle on their display weeks after the WC.

<O:p
it will always vary from person to person but for an ardent BD fan like me, the excitement will always be there.....<O:p</O:p
________
Penny Stock Pick (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

Thunder
July 28, 2006, 03:59 AM
I think we should be proud of ourselves minding about our current position in world cricket now. Just go back 6 years and we were dying to win a match against Kenya. Now its not a big deal that we are beating them in every match and also beating world champs occasionaly.

It doesn't matter now wheather Bangladesh is doing well or not as we are already a member of the asian giants and nothing can take that away from us now.

Just hope that Bad politics or poor management doesn't affect our cricket like it did for Zimbabwe or Kenya or even Srilanka. :up: :flag:

sar2005
July 28, 2006, 04:46 AM
Why not?
Where I completely see your point that world is not going to give us enough credit, so what, I am fully excited as long as BD is playing.

When I was in class 4, I stood 9th in annual exam (from a position of 60th or so). I jumped in the air with joy but immediately heard the angry shout of my father that the son of Mr. Delwar (His the then colleague) became 2nd and you are excited just after becoming 9th??

That's our culture and we don't appreciate which motivates most of the people. While we will definitely be happy to beat any stronger opponent, what's wrong with weaker ZIM as long as the opponent is an ODI team. Moreover, what will happen if you loose against them? I don't want to be pessimistic but don't you have any chance to loose against them?

Look, so far BD vs. ZIM played 18 games head to head. How many of them you remembered who played and who did not. Only thing you can see from the record is 14 out of those 18 were won by ZIM. Likewise, if we win all the matches here, I guaranty, you will not remember this fact in five year time from now. Only thing you will see then, BD vs. ZIM played 50 matches, BD won 30 and ZIM 20.

akabir77
July 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
When I was in class 4, I stood 9th in annual exam (from a position of 60th or so). I jumped in the air with joy but immediately heard the angry shout of my father that the son of Mr. Delwar (His the then colleague) became 2nd and you are excited just after becoming 9th??

.....BD vs. ZIM played 50 matches, BD won 30 and ZIM 20.

:floor: :floor: :fire: :fire:

rudro
July 28, 2006, 08:15 AM
I guess that there is an overwhelming support AGAINST my notion. Honestly I myself is always excited wenever bangladesh is playing ne cricket. I even follow the players performance for their clubs. However I guess my points has been misunderstood a little. Whenever i heard the foreign media report out first test victory they always mention that we won against an understrength Zimbabwe side. I havent seen a single report where that fact was not mentioned. Now that we are on the verge of our first series win abroad i guess that the same fact will again be reiterated on the world media. Honestly i myself like to cherish our win againt the Aussies in the ODI more than our first test win. I am almost entirely sure and u can even ask Andy of Banglacricket if he believes that we are a better team. I am sure he will also agree with that notion. Ranking can be decieving ( MS Dhioni was the number 1 batsmen a few days back). This series will only make the ranking a little more justifiable and that is it. The respect for our team by the media wont get ne better I can assure u that. My only point was that over celebrating our first series win abroad and making it sound like an big achievement is not the way to go about things. We should be more practical. This team is still not good enough to have beaten the best Zimbabwe side possible.
And I am sorry, i wasnt aware that such a thread existed before. If someone finds it useless than please avoid it completely. People can have their own ideas and forum is a way of expresing them. We share a common pride about our country and game and insulting one another is not the way to buit unity. I am still a student of the game and i regret if i wasted ur time by making a useless thread and forcing u to read it!!!!

I understand all of what you said my friend, but I am still excited and will be that way as long as MY DEAR COUNTRY is playing against any other country! Yes, I mean any other, be it Bermuda or Australia.

betaar
July 28, 2006, 08:37 AM
Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Andy-Flower
July 28, 2006, 08:57 AM
ahmed Ahmed Ahmed!!!!

Sorry
July 28, 2006, 09:56 AM
Is Our Excitement regarding Zimbabwe Series Justifiable?
Excitement is like falling in love with a beautiful woman and doesn't need to be justified.

IanW
July 28, 2006, 07:21 PM
We are all excitied and that's how it should be. After beating Australia on a foreign soil the world still don't respect us because we are not consistant enough. This notion will continue if we keep losing in the test without a fight.

I dont know what test series you watched, but I certainly wouldnt describe Australia in Bangladesh as "losing in the test without a fight".

Australia had to play at it's absolute best to fight their way out of that ambush.

Ian Whitchurch

sar2005
July 29, 2006, 09:44 AM
Zimbabwe need 45 runs in 44 balls with 5 wickets in hand.
Where is the writer and supporters of this thread??????????????????????

CTazim
July 29, 2006, 09:52 AM
No. Not especially after the 1st ODI :) :) :)

sonarbangla
July 29, 2006, 10:47 AM
man why did they took sahadat instead of russel in an ODI match?! and where is rajin saleh?! :( i think habibul thought he will win the game without even trying to play it..

Aritro
July 29, 2006, 11:44 AM
There wasn't a lot wrong with Shahadat's performance.

The question is why was Rasel not included when Razzak was.

Rabz
July 29, 2006, 12:28 PM
Excitement is like falling in love with a beautiful woman and doesn't need to be justified.

he he..very well said my friend..
and after loosing the first match..i think its even more justifiable ...
and we hv a contest in our hand....
i think we can do it

Ahmed_B
August 2, 2006, 11:00 AM
I thought I should dig this thread up again after the 3rd ODI being finished!

Lets discuss this thread again.. shall we? ;)

ialbd
August 2, 2006, 03:22 PM
I thought I should dig this thread up again after the 3rd ODI being finished!

Lets discuss this thread again.. shall we? ;)

hehe,
thats a very strong 'khocha' Ahmed_B
________
Kawasaki klx650c (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KLX650C)

akabir77
August 2, 2006, 03:27 PM
We will win the series 5-0 in december INshallah

SMHasan
August 2, 2006, 08:12 PM
We will win the series 5-0 in december INshallah

heheheh.....then start saying that the excitement is not justifiable :mad:

fhstar
August 2, 2006, 09:13 PM

Mash-allah ... Marhaba !! well said ... chaliye jao ...:confused: :E :mad: :E :confused: ... Amra jodi favorite na hoi tahole r ke hobe????? :( ... I wonder if we EVER will be able to talk like the quoted words and actually perform on the field?