PDA

View Full Version : Somebody explain to me about Mashrafee!

Ahmed_B
August 2, 2006, 11:05 AM
What just happened today?

I missed the whole of BD bowling time... but was checking the scores in my cellphone SMS. And now that I check the scores... I see Mashrafee bowling with an economy of 5.00 and he got no wicket and with 17 overs required in the last over.. our best strike bowler could not stop it !!

What happened to his bowling today? Can somebody who watched the game explain please? :duh: :confused:

sadi
August 2, 2006, 11:09 AM
4 full toss.. two of those went for sixes

prasad
August 2, 2006, 11:18 AM
the man cudnt handle the pressure.body language.. looked nervous.mashud ran upto him and started giving him some advices..for an experienced bowler didnt look like winning the match for bd in the final over.didnt see the match in full..so cant say abt the bowling changesand the decision to bowl mashrafe for the last over.

Beamer
August 2, 2006, 11:38 AM
Mashrafee is not a good death over bowler. He has been trying to nail the yorkers but more often they end up being full tosses and batsmen wait for them. It happebed in the Aus and the Sl series. He should instead vary his bowling and do what he does in his opening spells which is to keep the ball slighly outside offstump. He tries to york every ball. If you are not good at something then stop repeating it. Instead try to do what you are good at. He still is our best bowler, just a very average death over bowler up till now. It happens to many many good bowlers. Good spells get doomed by few last overs, specially if you have a set batsman ( Taylor today ) ready to strike. He is mentally tough and will recover. Things like this happen all the time though to get hit for a six off the final ball may linger longer than usual. We hope not.

HawkEye000
August 2, 2006, 11:40 AM
Mashrafe just made a major change in his action (from a mix of side-on and front-on to complete side-on). He is just getting used to to his new action and lacks a bit of the precision needed to bowl in the block hole. That was one of the main reason Stuart Karpinnen allowed him to play in the test matches but not the ODIs. Give him some time, he will get used to his new action and would surely start to bowl well in the death overs. Our only concern should be that he does not revert back to his old action which could be fatal for him in the long run.

Tigers_eye
August 2, 2006, 12:13 PM
He is the best and most experienced one we got. with 17 needed it was an easy decision for pilot to give the the final over. Now for the last over the wide cost us the game. the next ball went for six. 7 runs in one ball. Noway they could have won without the wide ball. Even a slower low delivery should have been fine in the last ball instead of the full toss.

LateCut
August 2, 2006, 12:20 PM
This is amazing. It is taught in the schoolyard that you do not bowl a fullish or full toss when batsmen is forced to hit sixes. You bowl shorter length and slower delivery. It is very difficult to score a six against this kind of balls unless it is wide enough to go for a hook or pull. I think whatever Mashud told Mash was not this simple wisdom that every 1-day bowler must have.

Wisdom # 1: Do not let the batsman drive or hook/pull meaning no full or widish ball.

Wisdom # 2: Cut down on the pace so that batsman cannot use the momentum of the ball to get more distance

Imtiaz
August 2, 2006, 12:21 PM
This is not the first time. I can't remember which one, but in one of the Sri Lanka matches he had bowling figures of 6 overs and 9 runs and in the last 4 overs , he conceded something like 62 runs. Maybe, someone can correct me here.

On the other hand, he is a very good opening bowler. Does he have a well disguised slower ball ?

HawkEye000
August 2, 2006, 12:30 PM
The thing is it takes time to get used to a new action. The margin of error in the slog overs is very small. It is lot easier in the initial overs where you can just pitch short of a good length outside of the off stump. But bowling in the block hole requires a whole lot control and precision. Have faith in the lad, he would be as as good as he is in the initial overs in about a years time.

Fazal
August 2, 2006, 01:00 PM
What just happened today?

Why? Whatever supposed to happen happened today.... a honorable defeat!!!! Thats how the team was selected, thats what they got.

Spitfire_x86
August 2, 2006, 01:09 PM
That was one of the main reason Stuart Karpinnen allowed him to play in the test matches but not the ODIs.
Actually you're telling opposite of the real event. Stuart Karpinnen allowed him to play in the ODIs but not the tests against Srilanka.

HawkEye000
August 2, 2006, 02:25 PM
Actually you're telling opposite of the real event. Stuart Karpinnen allowed him to play in the ODIs but not the tests against Srilanka.
Yep I got the facts wrong there, but it does show the significance of his action change that he had to be excluded from that form of the game so that he doesn't revert back to his old action.

Spitfire_x86
August 2, 2006, 02:32 PM
He didn't play because the team management didn't think he was fit enought for playing 5 day test match. The bowling action was not the reason.

SS
August 2, 2006, 02:35 PM
He was nervous but he is guilty!
I am nervous too and if I make mistake, I am guilty and get my punishment. Do I learn from mistake. May be but i make mistake again. Whole life i did it and now I am suffering. I deserve these suffering because it's reality.
Masrafee hopefully can fight back but what he did, it will be always haunting him and us, the way its haunting he dropped the catch of Ponting.

al Furqaan
August 2, 2006, 02:36 PM
another reason may be that because he's been injured so much he's never been able to find any rhythm...i think experience is the key the bowling, and triply so in the slog overs.

i hope he fixes himself...looking forward to the final 2 games.

Omio
August 2, 2006, 02:37 PM
Masrafe is very bad in slog over, y pilot bring him attack on thats time,,
he shud give it to Rafique...
this is Pilot fault..

HawkEye000
August 2, 2006, 02:40 PM
He didn't play because the team management didn't think he was fit enought for playing 5 day test match. The bowling action was not the reason.

That is not what Stuart Karpinnen said during a TV interview during the test matches aganst lanka. He clearly mentioned that they were going slow so that he doesn't revert back to his old action which could be fatal and not being totally fit was not the reason.

akabir77
August 2, 2006, 03:08 PM
Why didn't he bowl a slower one!!!! why why why

cricket_pagol
August 2, 2006, 03:16 PM
Mashrafee is our star player... he has been performing very well for Bangladesh whenever he played. I am not willingly to make him a villian just because he played badly in a game or two. Come on people, even great players like Mcgrath and Walsh have bad days.

Albanycrew
August 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
Mashrafee is our star player.....my [..edited..]. Star players step up when other players do badly. He bowled 4 full toss balls and a wide. He even got lucky with the runout.... that was a full toss too...but Taylot didn't get a good hold of it. Name one star/great player who kept bowling full toss after full toss and made the batsman's work extremely easy.....fast full toss...all you need is to get a bat to it. It's true some great players gave up a lot of runs in the last over in their career.... but I highly doubt that they ever bowled 4 full tosses which are the easiest ball to hit. Anyone with anykind of brain would notice that his yorkers were all turning into full tosses..... bowl a short length or a slower or anything but that when you are getting slammed for those. What about the wide.... where did that come from. So for god sake stop trying to sugar coat mashrafees performance and stop blaming Pilot. Mashrafee is supposed to be our best and most experienced fast bowler..... so that was no brainer for pilot to give him the last over. Rafique bowled like crap too....so he couldnt really use Rafique. It's sad that our standard is so low.... seems like most of us think Ash, Mash as gods of cricket. Welcome to the reality my friend.. like other posters mentioned..Mash was slammed before too...but he was still the only one Pilot could go for the last over. He gave up 17 runs because he bowled horribly...not because Taylor hit some amazing shots but credit to Taylor for taking advantage of some awful balls. Zimbabwe truly overpowered us and they are the better team as of now. It doesn't matter how well you do upto 40 overs....if you can't finish the game on top.

Xavier
August 2, 2006, 06:04 PM
Were all of his last four balls a full(ish) toss? And if he was attempting yorkers while was he keeping on doing that as he saw it wasn't working?

akabir77
August 2, 2006, 06:09 PM
what was nasu or dv doing? i mean on the 5th ball the batsman was out. so the computer analysist with dw should have send the 12th man with instruction where to ball to this batsman.. I mean that's why we r paying for the analyist right? they had time to discuss and bowl the last bowl

CricFanBD
August 2, 2006, 06:22 PM
Somebody explain to me about Mashrafee!

Yeah I can. Mashrafi did his best to get another Hattrick on the same match. He get this inspiration from Rajb.

akabir77
August 2, 2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah I can. Mashrafi did his best to get another Hattrick on the same match. He get this inspiration from Rajb.

Rajib didn't bowl 4 fulltoss in the hattrick. just one other two was short of length and kinda wide one

CricFanBD
August 2, 2006, 06:46 PM
Rajib didn't bowl 4 fulltoss in the hattrick. just one other two was short of length and kinda wide one

Yeah I know. I am so angry about Mashrafi...

Sovik
August 2, 2006, 06:47 PM
i think mashrafee isn't 100% fit. we need to find another bowler who could bowl in the death overs. mashrafee is still a asset to this team. its just a bad day for him and us

SMHasan
August 2, 2006, 08:05 PM
No explanation of this kind bowling man. I am shocked, stunned, totally sad.I dont know what to say.

LateCut
August 2, 2006, 08:41 PM
Were all of his last four balls a full(ish) toss? And if he was attempting yorkers while was he keeping on doing that as he saw it wasn't working?

Yep! But don't blame Mash only. Rafique missed a catch at the boundary that become 4 runs also. There were several wides in the last few overs by different bowlers. In short a hapless team was beated by a pathetic team run by even more pathetic oranization. Bring on the two tier system. We deserve it.

nsd3
August 2, 2006, 08:44 PM
Mashrafi is a star i BD team. OR I'd say he is the "Bon Gaye Shial Raja". We have run out of options at present. He did it before and he's has done it again. Talking about changing bowling style - giving him more time to suit...all these may sound crap but we don't have any other option - just accept that. Lets hope he rectifies and makes it happen for Bangladesh fast.

On the other hand, it really wouldn't be too bad to kick on his butt and say ja chaira dilam.

shaoun
August 2, 2006, 09:35 PM
masrafee just had a bad day today. it happens to every players. its not only masrafee i think the entire team choked today. after rajibs hatrick, bangladesh should have finish them off but they couldnt. gotta give credit to brandon taylor though. he played a match winning innins.

kalpurush
August 2, 2006, 11:43 PM
Even I could bowl better than Mashrafi! He just played like "para" cricket.

roaring tigerz
August 3, 2006, 12:52 AM
this 'first date nervous wreck' breakdown of the bangladesh team is quite inexplicable. first of all the zimbos were always waay behind the 8 ball, even till the last ball. all the pressure was on them to do the extraordinary, not the other way round. secondly, our team supposedly has eons more experience than their young boys do.
i have a feeling that the fear of losing when expected to win has gripped everyone. they lose, we clap, thats the usual storyline. playing and winning seems like an uncharted territory for our team. i still hear 'whitewash' ringing in my ears...

Zaheed Mahmood
August 3, 2006, 01:22 AM
Doesn't matter how much BD team is blamed for loosing unnecessary wickets to irresponsible stroke and run-outs and missing the runs in the slog overs after 40 thereby wasting a probable 270 score to end up with a marginal 236, it still remains the fact that we were on the verge of winning until the last over where Mashrafee was thrown the ball to defend 17 runs!! This was supposed to be a win situation and there is no doubt that Mash simply blew it up!! This certainly will hunt us for a long time; nevertheless, we don't have any choice but go through the pain of accepting the reality and move on!! The pain will certainly heal a lot if BD can win the series by winning the last 2 matches!!
Zaheed

BangladeshFan
August 3, 2006, 01:25 PM
bowling in the slog overs is a different thing than bowling with the new ball. variation is everything, so that the batsman cannot guess whats coming next. i dont think bd has bowlers who can bowl good slower deliveries, yorkers etc but they have to develop some now and also considering the coming world cup.

in team meetings, i think they should decide beforehand who is going to share the slog overs. zim can chase anything around 250 because they got good middle and late order, so bowling well in slog overs is the key for bd at the moment.

MarufH
August 3, 2006, 01:27 PM
dude u dont have to open up a thread to put salt on every Bangladeshis wound.