View Full Version : Something is upsetting me and it is not the defeat

DJ Sahastra
August 5, 2006, 01:19 PM
It is the scoreline.

I just got a peek at the scoreline.

BD - 206/9 in 50 overs

Zim - 212/3 in 41.4 overs

This does upset me.

In the heart-breaking defeat of the 3rd ODI, there really wasn't anything to blame on the BD team or players - it was just an unfortunate turn of events. Mashrafe went for 17 odd runs but it was a correct decision to make him bowl the last over. He is and has been the frontline BD bowler and is the best BD bowler on scene no matter what way you look at it. Also, he was trying the right thing - of bowling yorkers. It's just that all the plans went unstuck and his attempted yorkers ended up as looose deliveries that went for runs.

It was just a sad ending to a very good match. Good contest for neutral observers who still felt Zimbabwe got away with that match thanks to an individual's brilliance.

This scorecard tells a different story though. It reeks of comprehensive win - of utter dominance of one team over the other. It reeks of meek and abject surrender and hurt as BD fans are, i see no reason to not throw a few punches at the BD team.

I recommend they be lined up, made to pull their pants down and be canned - like 10 slashes per player on their rear. After that, everytime they want to sit, they'll be forced to stand up. And that's the reminder that is needed to be given to them - to stand up and be counted and not merely make the numbers.

I thought of recommending the firing squad - but that would be an easy 'let go' for them. Besides, we need them to play the last match!

Miraz
August 5, 2006, 01:29 PM
I recommend they be lined up, made to pull their pants down and be canned - like 10 slashes per player on their rear. After that, everytime they want to sit, they'll be forced to stand up. And that's the reminder that is needed to be given to them - to stand up and be counted and not merely make the numbers.

Very well said.

May Dayal baba have mercy on you :)

cricket_pagol
August 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
Well said DJ, the way we lost the 4th ODI was very hard to accept.

layperson
August 5, 2006, 01:58 PM
Dj I agree with most of the things you said except the things you said about the 3rd ODI. We lost the 3rd ODI not because of taylors brilliance( taking nothing away from him) but for our mistakes. First we batted poorly as always. Then when we bowled our spinners namely rafique was terrible. Giving mashrafe the last over was a mistake because he is not the right man to bowl at the death and has been conceding runs in the death for a long time now. He is doing this consistently. Yes he is the premier fast bowler of Bangladesh but he is just not good enough at the death. We needed to have razzq or maybe even farhad reza bowl at the death. Also giving four lolly pop full tosses in one over is simply unacceptable at this level. Even in street cricket nowadays you dont see bowlers bowling four full tosses in one over. Understaood that he was trying for yorkers but when he saw that it was not working then why he continued with the same tactics is beyond me. It was almost as if he wanted zimbabwe to win. In fact taylor missed out on one juicy full toss in that over which he hit straitght to mid wicket otherwise agianst any other team the match would have been over before the final ball was bowled. HOwever I completely agree with your other observations.

DJ Sahastra
August 5, 2006, 03:11 PM
"Giving mashrafe the last over was a mistake because he is not the right man to bowl at the death and has been conceding runs in the death for a long time now. "

I think that's being a little harsh on the captain. If he had bypassed Mashrafe and had given the last over to Razzaq or Reza, in the event of loss, we would all be cursing him for not giving the last over to Mashrafe.

All of us would've argued for days as to why it was a bad decison to not give Mashrafe the last over.

"He is doing this consistently. Yes he is the premier fast bowler of Bangladesh but he is just not good enough at the death."

I think justa couple of matches back (1st match?? ), he bowled the 48th over conceding only 2 runs and taking two wickets. That would've definitely played in the captain's mind.

"Also giving four lolly pop full tosses in one over is simply unacceptable at this level. Even in street cricket nowadays you dont see bowlers bowling four full tosses in one over. Understaood that he was trying for yorkers but when he saw that it was not working then why he continued with the same tactics is beyond me."

He definitely had a bad day, or a day that ended badly. Agree with you except he isn't that bad a bowler.

Duck
August 5, 2006, 03:14 PM
from the beginning of the series the Team management set the wrong tone ........calling BD as the favorites and the tour would be a piece of cake....and dreaming about 5-0 series...also day dreaming going up in the ranking from 10 to 9........rather than match by match win that Bashar used to say as the plan all his life......that foolhardy brought the complacency in the freakin..players and in the very first game they lost making a immense pressure that crunched the mattle of the team....eventually we could not recover ....showing our backboneless humiliation.....as a fan I was also complacent.......not to mention. AND IT IS THE BLUNDER. WE CAN NEVER EVER BE THE FAVORITE.:mad: be the underdog or underpig (whatever you call) and win match by match. that's all.

DJ Sahastra
August 5, 2006, 03:22 PM
Dak Pion (i like that name),

Even if you had been too modest to not call yourself favourites, the way BD and Zimbabwe had been playing prior to this series, you would still be the overwhelming favourites.

Even the most cynical and pessimist observer wouldn't have given more than one game to Zimbabwe and nothing lower than a 4-1 result in favor of BD.

So there was no day-dreaming. It was very much an achievable result and very much an objective prediction.

It is a case of Zimbabwe team beating all expectations and BD team failing to live up to its own. The fans cannot be faulted for keeping their hopes high (i would acll it a very reasonable hope). And fans cannot be accused of complacency either.

You guys are quite modest and gracious. I don't see how you can blame yourself for a very reasonable expectations from the team.

LateCut
August 5, 2006, 07:58 PM
Also, he was trying the right thing - of bowling yorkers. It's just that all the plans went unstuck and his attempted yorkers ended up as looose deliveries that went for runs.
!

It was in no way the right thing. Trying bowl yorker when you are dead tired? Besides you have 17runs to give and you figure that as long as you do not give up long balls (sixers) the game is yours. You can conceed four boundaries and still win. So the safest strategy would be bowl just short of the length and on the stump. Also, you do not have bowl your heart out. Occasional slower balls should throw the timing (and cut down on the momentum) of the logging bastman. Alas, there was nobody on the field to tell Mash that.

Fazal
August 5, 2006, 10:03 PM
Something is very upsetting to me also and it's not just those defeats.... but he timing of the re-arrival of our doyal babar's shagred.... it cannot be just a coincident... I have a funny feeling...there must be somthing going on behind the scene.

DJ Sahastra
August 5, 2006, 10:46 PM
Something is very upsetting to me also and it's not just those defeats.... but he timing of the re-arrival of our doyal babar's shagred.... it cannot be just a coincident... I have a funny feeling...there must be somthing going on behind the scene.

Fazal Mian,

Very interesting find indeed.

As the sole shagird of Dayal Baba and Pagla Baba, i was sent to congratulate the BD fans and teams following the win in the second ODI. But i am forced to think that maybe there was a subtle hint or a message there.

The conspiracy theory widens!

In past, Pagla baba's blessings were sought uniequivocally and fans were grateful for wins. This time around, maybe that didnt happen. Maybe the Babas felt ignored.

Both the Babas are quite cool in their demeanour. But wait - i just had a nasty accident despite my service to them. So yes, maybe there is something behind the scene that escaped us all!

Mav
August 6, 2006, 02:30 AM
Players must be fined for poor performances.

DJ Sahastra
August 6, 2006, 10:46 AM
Finally!

A good performance and a comprehensive win.

That should go a long way in erasing some bitter memories and do a lot of good to the team psyche.

BD team has shown some resilience in it's character. A little late but good comeback win nonetheless. Excellent batting by Nafees and a fine way to end the series.

fwullah
August 6, 2006, 11:09 AM
"think that's being a little harsh on the captain. If he had bypassed Mashrafe and had given the last over to Razzaq or Reza, in the event of loss, we would all be cursing him for not giving the last over to Mashrafe."

DJ, I think you missed the point there - may be it was not said clearly. In one sentence, Mashrafee does not have the nerves or the experience to get over the nerves in the last overs of an ODI. To be honest, its not his fault really. He did lose a long time getting into injuries and recovering, losing some valuable time of learning how to bowl at the death. If you'd observe it properly, Tapash Baisya, Khaled Mahmud could bowl at the death properly, when they were in form. Do you want to know why? It is the result of spending some valuable time out in the middle - in actual pressure games at the domestic level.

Spitfire_x86
August 6, 2006, 11:28 AM
"think that's being a little harsh on the captain. If he had bypassed Mashrafe and had given the last over to Razzaq or Reza, in the event of loss, we would all be cursing him for not giving the last over to Mashrafe."

DJ, I think you missed the point there - may be it was not said clearly. In one sentence, Mashrafee does not have the nerves or the experience to get over the nerves in the last overs of an ODI.
No, DJ didn't miss the point. In that situation any captain would give Mashrafee the last over. Among frontline bowlers, only he had 1 over remaining. No captain would give Reza or Aftab the last over.

None of our bowlers have been really good in the final overs of an ODI. Mashrafee had rarely done significantly worse than others in the final slog overs.

sar2005
August 6, 2006, 12:02 PM
The way guys played today, actually replies many of our concern. But still the problem with BD is not playing good enough under pressure. Honestly, apart from that 4th match, we should have won all the remaining 4. 2 wins out of Zim's 3, were just bad luck for us.

LateCut
August 7, 2006, 12:33 PM
In one sentence, Mashrafee does not have the nerves or the experience to get over the nerves in the last overs of an ODI. To be honest, its not his fault really. He did lose a long time getting into injuries and recovering, losing some valuable time of learning how to bowl at the death.

For once I agree with Fwullah! Mash bowled poorly at the death. He did that before and, consequently, there is a pattern here. But giving the ball to him was the right decision. But the instructions given to him was either lacking or plain wrong for the situation. Other possibility is that Mash simply ignored the captain's advice and wanted to get a wicket or two. I will be very dissapointed if the latter is true. Cricket, like many other, is a team sports and bowlers need to think and adjust according to the situation. Was it Mash or Mashud we will never know.

khalifa
August 7, 2006, 12:49 PM
For once I agree with Fwullah! Mash bowled poorly at the death. He did that before and, consequently, there is a pattern here. But giving the ball to him was the right decision. But the instructions given to him was either lacking or plain wrong for the situation. Other possibility is that Mash simply ignored the captain's advice and wanted to get a wicket or two. I will be very dissapointed if the latter is true. Cricket, like many other, is a team sports and bowlers need to think and adjust according to the situation. Was it Mash or Mashud we will never know.

This Protho-Alo piece might elaborate some more on this issue of Mash's choking up at the death. According to this report, he had a vision of a childhood accident before this very last over, and he was just shaking inside :o He definitely needs to see a good sports psychologist, he apparently gave up before he even started the runup
http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-08-04

LateCut
August 7, 2006, 06:03 PM
This Protho-Alo piece might elaborate some more on this issue of Mash's choking up at the death. According to this report, he had a vision of a childhood accident before this very last over, and he was just shaking inside :o He definitely needs to see a good sports psychologist, he apparently gave up before he even started the runup
http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-08-04

You must be joking! Are you? Or the link is a work of a prankstar.

SMHasan
August 7, 2006, 06:28 PM

If the prothom-alo's report is true (and i think it might be true) then its a big problem for Bangladesh and for Mashrafee as well. According to the report he was not confident enough to bowl the last over and he was thinking that it wasn't his day. He wasn't feeling like bowling the final over. And if u look at Mash's expression during the final over then you might have to think differently.

Hatebreed
August 7, 2006, 08:10 PM
You always guys talk about gross punishments.. like pulling the pants down of our players and can them, someone else suggested the other day to spank them... no wonder Masri was scared shitless at the vision of his childhood!

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
August 7, 2006, 09:25 PM
You always guys talk about gross punishments.. like pulling the pants down of our players and can them, someone else suggested the other day to spank them... no wonder Masri was scared shitless at the vision of his childhood!

haahhahahahhahhahahaha:lol: :lol:

Fazal
August 8, 2006, 12:53 PM
You always guys talk about gross punishments.. like pulling the pants down of our players and can them....

Ya... I also noticed that. Is it really to punish the players or taking the opportunity of fullfill someone's twisted fantasy under the shadow of punishing the players. Rafique's behind ....eekkkkk :eek: I don't want to think anymore.

Andy-Flower
August 9, 2006, 09:44 AM
i also thought that game more than humiliated the so called ''favorites''...but you came back strongly the next game so :)

MarufH
August 9, 2006, 09:48 AM
I think it was all about getting into the habit of winning.. and players didn't have the confidence.. i doubt even pilot had that feelings... He is a looser captain.. I'm just hiding my face wondering about what kind of humiliation we are about to face in upcoming series against kenya...