PDA

View Full Version : zimbabwe series grades

al Furqaan
August 6, 2006, 12:37 PM
Taking a look at the performance of our team here, are their grades before the Kenya series:

Javed Omar: 3 matches, 24 runs @ 8.00, grade: F
Nothing needs to be said here...JO should not be in our ODI XI

Shahriar Nafees: 5 matches, 248 runs @ 62.00, grade: A-
He would have an A, but his ton came a little to late, plus had an atrocious dismissal, and batted slowly when it really mattered, though you can't blame him much, and that is why he got better than a B+

Rajin Saleh: 3 matches, 102 runs @ 32.00, 6 wickets @ 8.50, grade: B+
Nothing spectacular, but sure beats JO...if only the selectors will remember that

Aftab Ahmed: 5 matches, 126 runs @ 25.20, grade: C+
Just one big game, and it wasn't that big...but did score at a rapid rate and for that he gets the +

Mohammad Ashraful: 4 matches, 81 runs @ 20.25, grade: C-
Another poor series, most frustrating was that he got starts twice and couldn't even make a 50 out of them...performed just enough to remain in the squad.

Saqib al Hasan: 1 match, 30 runs, 1 wicket @ 39.00, grade: B+
Could be, along with Forhad, the genuine all-rounder we have been looking for (aka Alok Kapali's worst nightmare)...seemed to be solid in his cameo debut

Forhad Reza: 3 matches, 95 runs @ 31.66, 2 wickets @ 46.50, grade: B
Looks to be a good find...probably won't be spectacular, but consistancy is what we need and he seems to fit the bill

Khaled Mashud: 4 matches, 93 runs @ 46.25, grade: C
Batted too slowly, but did save our faces in one innings...the average is inflated by batting so far down and so cautiously...i think he did ok as a captain, given that he was unprepared and couldn't do much more. Still with the rise of more talented batting youngsters, his place in the side should become questionable.

Habibul Bashar: 2 matches, 45 runs @ 22.50, grade: C
A decent performance with a terrible one...you get a C, C-...his absense really makes you appreciate his captaincy, flawed as it may be. Speaking of which, we need to search for a future captain and groom him ASAP

Mohammad Rafique: 5 matches, 4 wickets @ 46.50, 3.72 econ, 72 runs @ 18.00, grade: B-
Batting was decent, especially when considered with the top order...but thats nothing new...bowling was OK, still indespensible after all these years.

Abdur Razzak: 5 matches, 6 wickets @ 29.83, 3.73 econ, 31 runs, grade: B+
Played well except one match

Mashrafee Mortaza: 4 matches, 5 wickets @ 29.20, 4.17 econ, grade: C+
Just imagine if he had only conceded 16 runs in that fateful over...our perception of him would have been completely different though his average and econ would only be marginally affected. Still, played well, but asides from the 1st game, hasn't demolished anyone which is a tad bit frustrating.

Shahadat Hossain: 4 matches, 9 wickets @ 19.00, 5.23 econ, grade: B+
Took a hattrick, is still young and very green, and really ripped through the Zim side at times...phenomenal average which would have been even better had he not been hit for 44 wicketless runs in his final appearance of the series.

Syed Rasel: 1 match, 1 wicket @ 46.00, 4.60 econ, grade: B-
Played just one match, unfortunately

Zunaid
August 6, 2006, 12:51 PM
Excellent analysis - can you edit this a bit for publishing as a front page article?

HawkEye000
August 6, 2006, 12:57 PM
saqib al hasan: 1 match, 30 runs, 1 wicket @ 39.00, grade: B+
could be, along with forhad, the genuine allrounder we have been looking for

Saqib can be our first real genuine allrounder, but I dont think Farhad has what it takes to be a regular ODI bowler. He is way too wayward, may be he can give up some pace and concentrate more on his line and length. His batting was impressive and would be an ideal number 7, but batting at any position higher makes our batting look vulnerable.

al Furqaan
August 6, 2006, 12:59 PM
Alok Kapali: 2 matches, 33 runs @ 16.50, grade: D
We don't need him anymore at all...should join the JO club

Overall Team Grades:

Batting: D
Only 2 batsman got D grades or worse, proving that the sum is, in this case, actually lesser than the parts...batting looked lost, without purpose, and amateur 90% of the time. The only "positive" is that we still had the balls to win convincingly in the finale, which just boosts our extremely low marle a wee bit

Bowling: B-
Yes, there were huge flaws...but there were also some pretty big bonuses...overall it was pretty good. just a bit above an average performace. With just a few more runs on the board, this bowling would have been more than enough to take this series. Bowling may have lost us a game in the 3rd ODI, but overall, it is undoubtedly our batting which really let us down.

Fielding: C-
Haven't seen much of the games, but from what I know, our fielding was pretty poor, especially early on. Dropped catches, fumbles in the outfield, and poor throws at the stumps. Hopefully we can recover in a week's time.

Selection issues: F
Our selectors aren't the best in the world, but they aren't this bad either. As bad as it is to put JO in, its terrible that he came at the cost of Rajin, and its an outright war crime that they persisted with him for 3 matches before dropping him. And I am not a JO hater. Rotated the fast bowlers poorly. Rajib could have been played all 5 games, but its perfectly fine he was rested for the last match. But Mash should have been either rotated with Rasel sooner, or they could have tried 3 pacers just once. If JO and Alok aren't finished for good, the selectors will still score low with me, no matter how many genius moves they may make in the future.

al Furqaan
August 6, 2006, 01:02 PM
Excellent analysis - can you edit this a bit for publishing as a front page article?

i left out some about alok and the team overall...the two posts will need to be ligated.

pleae give me till the end of the day (anytime in the next 12 hours) to edit the post

prasad
August 6, 2006, 01:04 PM
very nicely written

ialbd
August 6, 2006, 01:27 PM
well analysed, agree with all of them except maybe forhad reza, Saqib Al Hasan got B+ and Reza got B? I think Reza's consistency shud earn him sth better than B. Anyways that was just my opinion.
________
NEW MEXICO DISPENSARIES (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

cricketboy
August 6, 2006, 02:04 PM
I will give Razzak atleast a A-.

Miraz
August 6, 2006, 04:01 PM
Agreed to most part except Pilot

He should get F

Failed to motivate team in crucial occasions, played selfishly to keep his position irrrespective of situation and took worst decision which costed us the series.

Aftab should get B-, he was brilliant on every occasion and set the tone in most occasions. Unfortuantely failed to capitalize.

rafique - The old horse is still the most consistent performer. Should get at least B

Fazal
August 6, 2006, 06:35 PM
I will give Razzak atleast a A-.

Me too. Looks like he progressed from "about to be dropped" to "very solid contributer with bat and ball"

Razzak A-
Ashraful D+
Pilot C-
Rafique C+

The other I agree more or less.

Sovik
August 6, 2006, 07:09 PM
good analysis. i agree with you

Rubu
August 6, 2006, 07:53 PM
excellent work AF.

can't disagree anywhere.

Duck
August 6, 2006, 11:59 PM
Overall team efforts: F-
The Paper Tigers did everything............but they did not have the spirit to win.........

Duck
August 7, 2006, 12:05 AM
There should be separate sections of Grading for Coach and Captain. Although it is in general included in the selection process.............

@al Furqaan: Overall rating of the analysis and the post: A+++

Rabz
August 7, 2006, 01:05 AM
great analysis AF. good work man.
and i also agree with Miraz, Pilot should get a F , a BIG F.
captaincy just doesnt suit him, not everyon can do it. was quite dissapointed with his overall achievement in the series.

I wouldnt give Ashraful C, it should be D-. he performance, though not unexpected, but still utterly dissapointing.

Tokyobreeze
August 7, 2006, 03:47 AM
Good Analysis...and surely the overall team performance was near F.Except the 4th game, always we lost more to ourselves then to Zim.

PoorFan
August 7, 2006, 03:56 AM
Nothing more to add.:up:

Though I prefer Reza B+ and Saqib B, since Saqib only played one match.

saqib al hasan: 1 match, 30 runs, 1 wicket @ 39.00, grade: B+
could be, along with forhad, the genuine allrounder we have been looking for (aka alok kapali's worst nightmare)...seemed to be solid in his cameo debut

forhad reza: 3 matches, 95 runs @ 31.66, 2 wickets @ 46.50, grade: B
looks to be a good find...probably won't be spectacular, but consistancy is what we need and he seems to fit the bill

mac
August 7, 2006, 11:28 AM
Good analysis. Over all team grade is C.:mad:

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
Nice analysis AF. My two cents would be all players should be judged as how they perform at their primary jobs and according to their position in the team. Top order batsmen should be judged harshly than the tail. Having an average of 20+ and being the backbone of the team does not form well. I am pointing out on Aftab, Ash and H Bashar. They all failed in their primary duties. Against an opponent who pack no punches they should have at least doubled their averages. I guess they also forgot about the basics on building a partnership in order to get a big total for the team. If a team can only rely 68% on their 1st, 2nd and 3rd down players of scoring a tiny 25+ partnership then we are in trouble to say the least. They kept self-destructing their innings with the outragious shot selections.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 188pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=249 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 41pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1974" width=54><COL style="WIDTH: 33pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1609" width=44><COL style="WIDTH: 35pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1682" width=46><COL style="WIDTH: 31pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1499" width=41><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12pt" height=16><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 41pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=54 height=16></TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 33pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=44></TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 35pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=46>AA</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 31pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=41>MA</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>HB</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12pt" height=16><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: colspan" colSpan=2 height=16>25+ partnership</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>4</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>3</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12pt" height=16><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: colspan" colSpan=2 height=16>50+ partnership</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>1</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12pt" height=16><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: colspan" colSpan=2 height=16>75+ partnership</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>0</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>1</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12pt" height=16><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: colspan" colSpan=2 height=16>Matches played</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>5</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>4</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

During the 11 times they took the field, the team had 5 50+ partnership, 1 75+ partnership. This is a really low number if you look at the other 3, 4 and 5th down batsmen in the world.

cricketboy
August 7, 2006, 02:24 PM
Me too. Looks like he progressed from "about to be dropped" to "very solid contributer with bat and ball"

Razzak A-
Ashraful D+
Pilot C-
Rafique C+

The other I agree more or less.

I agree with your grades except Pilot a D-. :rolleyes:

reyme
August 7, 2006, 03:00 PM
Can you believe this?

http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtmlnews1/category.php?CategoryID=9&Date=2006-08-06

I wrote a long post, but that got deleted. In summary:

Dav Whatmore: F

al Furqaan
August 7, 2006, 03:37 PM
During the 11 times they took the field, the team had 5 50+ partnership, 1 75+ partnership. This is a really low number if you look at the other 3, 4 and 5th down batsmen in the world.

maybe so...but those numbers still look pretty good. bottom line is that the batsman lost us this series, tho the bowlers lost the 3rd ODI<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

SS
August 7, 2006, 05:16 PM
Grading ..the whole team gets F for big mouthing and playing so irreponsibly and failing to take the full advantage of beating Zimb.
These losers are worst a team could have.

Duck
August 7, 2006, 08:02 PM
Grading ..the whole team gets F for big mouthing and playing so irreponsibly and failing to take the full advantage of beating Zimb.
These losers are worst a team could have.

......well said..............