PDA

View Full Version : Selectors Earn more than the players!?!?!?!?

HereWeGo
August 9, 2006, 12:21 AM
I am referencing this based on a report published on the 9th of August 2006( today) on Daily inqilab in the sports section.
Here are few key points from the report
i) 5 years back an A grade Cricketer got a monthly payment of 66 thousand tk from the board and now that decreased to less than 50 thousand Tk. On the other hand the chief selector's monthly income increased from 25 thousand tk in 2003 to 70thoudsand Tk now.

ii) They are earning extra sum of money from every foreign tour that the selector's accompany with the national or age group teams

iii) For every domestic cricket match that the selector attends, they are paid more than 3000 tk. If the match is held outside Dhaka than they are paid 5000tk.

iii) first class cricketers get tk 400 for staying on a hotel and Tk 300 for other expenses. Howver a selector gets Tk 2500 for hotel expenses and 1500 for other expense. Atahar ali takes this sum from the board even if ESPN is paying for his hotel and expenses.

iv) Foreign tour means extra money for selectors. They travel in Buisness class. Stay at 5 star Hotel and in addition the board also pays them 50 dollars per day!!.

v) Annual income of selectors is estimated to be around 15 lakh taka.

vi) Even after all this they have been suspected of taking comission and the BCCB is yet to investigate on the matter , Something does seem FISHY.

Pls read the article for details. I am not a big fan of the newspaper but it is a nice piece.
:confused:

Rabz
August 9, 2006, 12:28 AM
hmm... looks like its time for a career change..
going back to bd and applying for the selector job soon..
guys dont be surprised if u see my name ....

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
August 9, 2006, 03:15 AM
hmm... looks like its time for a career change..
going back to bd and applying for the selector job soon..
guys dont be surprised if u see my name ....

u have already said my words....huh...back to bd i will get u as competetor!!!coz i will submit cv too..

no worries bro.!!:)

roi
August 9, 2006, 03:33 AM
Why dont you guys try to submit your CV here...?
www.bcb.co.bd (http://www.bcb.co.bd) or mail to recurit@bcb.co.bd

Enjoy!

Rabz
August 9, 2006, 04:52 AM
Tendulkar_McGrath..mate we both can still apply..there r 3 spots to grab..
i can take Faruq's and u can take Atahar's or the other guy..
btw..do u hv any endorsement connections?? if not contact me..
may be we can cook up something nice to offer our players..
guess we can contact Nike, Puma or Kookabura...

ek dhile dui pakhi arki

MarufH
August 9, 2006, 10:05 AM
I know it was so hard to believe.. these guys should eat ghoorar ghash as they give us a team that has no ability to compete... over that htey have their own business? and thats why they dont have time... man...

sadi
August 9, 2006, 10:18 AM
The player who plays national league really get ridiculous amount of money and its not fair... I heard from someone who played national league very recently how it became a joke... its really sad... noone wants to play since money is not there... it became like a picnic tour... you go out there and have fun... nothing serious... even better if you don't play... can you imagine? This year in a Dhaka game chacha was asking if anyone is willing to sit down and seven players raised their hand all at the same time... its just an example

Fazal
August 9, 2006, 11:01 AM
Over all I very much disappointed.

I don't care much how much the selectors/executives gets or whether they travel in business class and stays in 5 star or not. Its kind of non-issue as long as we have enough fund for the development of cricket at home.

But it becomes a very much an issue when we hear that the money is NOT used where it supposed to be used first. As Sadi and few others mentioned, the amount that is paid to players is so ridiculously low, the domestic games are becoming a joke.

Based on the news report, the player’s salary decreased but the selector's salary increased, executives go for over-seas pleasure troops with no clear cut assignment or agenda... these are all symptoms of bad management by the top executives.

betaar
August 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
I know it was so hard to believe.. these guys should eat ghoorar ghash as they give us a team that has no ability to compete

Garbage in.....garbage out !!:D

Miraz
August 9, 2006, 02:28 PM
In first point this is a very wrong statement & the thread is telling you something which may be misleading
Players earn much more than the selectors. let's have a look at the players earnings..

1. Contract with board (which is just mentioned by the thread starter)
2. Match fee (which is a major source of income)
3. Individual tournament payement
4. Different endorsements

Now, if you add the whole (you may wish to exclude the 4th one), its lot more than the selectors.

Now, let's come to point of paying selectors a good amount. BCB is now a professional organisation and slectors are doing job there. Every test team requires professional selectors and that's what we have. They are all distiguished player in their time. You can't ask them to work for a poor payment and their job is extremely important to protray Bangladesh Cricket in a right way.

Now a days, BCB is earning a lot as a test country. You should argue that BCB should utilize more its funds for development of cricket (building infrastructures) and thats fine.
Paying selectors a handsome amount is defnitely a good step forward.

layperson
August 9, 2006, 02:28 PM
This is not exactly true. The national team players who are contracted earn a lot more. They get the monthly salary based on their level, ie as someone mentioned A grade gets Tk50000. Each player gets US$1000 for a test match and probably same for an ODI. Depending on the number of test matches and ODI's they play in a year their income can vary and the rate at which dollar is appreciating their income gets a boost just like that. This is not taking into consideration the money they get from advertising, endorsements etc. In addition they are also contracted with local clubs and corporate houses to play the league and get money from there as well. The national team players earn a hefty amount and much much more than the selectors.

Now going to the Leagues, the players in the premier league earn a very decent amount. An average premier league player can earn as much as 8 lakhs per season with the amount going up to even 20 lakhs for some select cricketers and some unfortunate ones might be earning as low as 4 lakhs. But that is a decent amount for them. The players in the first division and lower dont earn as much most probably because of lack of sponsors at that level which is natural and this is the trend in most countries that as you go down the ladder players willl be earning less.

Fazal
August 9, 2006, 02:40 PM
The test/ODI players may be getting decent money, but I think no money is comming in the first class divisional matches ( one days and 4 days games).

There used to be some money flowing in Premier league. But they are kind of squeezed and I think its not held regualerly. They created those one days and 4 days divisional league. No money is flowing in that league. That league is supposed to be considered 1st class matches. The money the players gets is laughabale. Ideally it would be nice if we could get fund from outside sponsors. But thats not happening. So whats the solution? I think the short term soultion is to spend some more money by BCB in this league to make it useful tournament. And as I mentioned before, there comes the issue, why they are not spending some more money there instead?

sadi
August 9, 2006, 03:03 PM
Agree with Fazal. We are not complaining about how much national team player earns but the amount of money a player gets playing national league. If your first class cricket pays you only 400tk per day, no wonder the standard will be low.

layperson
August 9, 2006, 03:03 PM
The BCB has a corporate league that they said they will hold every year or every alternate year I think. This is the league where the corporate houses field their teams and they pay a good amount to the players. This acts a good source of income for first class players in BD. They incorporated this corporate league ( i forgot the name) in place of the regional competition they used to hold in the form of one day matches and four day matches.

sadi
August 9, 2006, 03:06 PM
Doesn't matter if they have ten more tournament going on, if they don't have money in our national league, our cricket won't improve. Players will concentrate more on those corporate league instead of national league. They will grow up playing 20/20 instead of 4 day games. This is how the world works. Wherever the money is, this is where player will go and concentrate. Why would someone give their 100 percent for a national league game when they know they should save themselves for upcoming corporate league which will pay them the money they need for the whole year.

layperson
August 9, 2006, 03:21 PM
Doesn't matter if they have ten more tournament going on, if they don't have money in our national league, our cricket won't improve. Players will concentrate more on those corporate league instead of national league. They will grow up playing 20/20 instead of 4 day games. This is how the world works. Wherever the money is, this is where player will go and concentrate. Why would someone give their 100 percent for a national league game when they know they should save themselves for upcoming corporate league which will pay them the money they need for the whole year.

Makes sense.Here i suggest we try and follow pakistan's domestic structure. Since the money is in the corporate league BCB should make those competitions not only 50 overs affairs but involve 4 day matches as well. This way the players will have incentives to earn and play well in the same league. If National league does not have money for the players then it would be because of lack of sponsors so we should utilize the situation we have at hand instead of trying to forcefully revive the national league. If I am not mistaken last year we only had the corporate leagues for the whole year and did not have any other leagues in the domestic calendar.

sadi
August 9, 2006, 03:25 PM
Makes sense.Here i suggest we try and follow pakistan's domestic structure. Since the money is in the corporate league BCB should make those competitions not only 50 overs affairs but involve 4 day matches as well. This way the players will have incentives to earn and play well in the same league. If National league does not have money for the players then it would be because of lack of sponsors so we should utilize the situation we have at hand instead of trying to forcefully revive the national league. If I am not mistaken last year we only had the corporate leagues for the whole year and did not have any other leagues in the domestic calendar.

That will be a good idea but I am not sure if corporate house would be willing to do that... after all, they want the name and fame and its all in one day cricket... Again, I think what they should do is have every division look for their own sponsors and name the division by the sponsor... They can arrange to show the games on tv also. That will generate a lot of sponsors no doubt. There are so many channels in Bangladesh that sometimes I lose count. I wish one of them would come forward and take the initiative to do so.

HawkEye000
August 9, 2006, 06:16 PM
Selectors should be well paid but the priority should be the players. The first class cricketers should be paid more than the selectors and this happens in almost all the test countries. The players (international & domestic) should get a certain percentage (around 20-25 %) of all the revenue earned by BCCB. And when the players or a body that repsesents them are aware of all the financial activities of BCCB that would also make the BCCB a more transparent organization.

The other thing is that the first class players should be paid well enough so that they can make a living out of playing the NCL and that would make them take the NCL in a serious manner and not like a picnic tour. The first class season should also span the entire cricket season that is it should be played over 6 months (Oct to Mar). It's a hopeless sitation now where the only source of income for the players (other than national team members) is from those clubs of the Premier League. That's the only raeson why our cricketers still look forward to the premier league then just focussing on the first class cricket played at the NCL.

The county players earn more than 30,000 pounds a season and the Ranji players earn about 35,000 rupees a match, but it's a tragedy that our NCL earn ridiculously low amounts. Even if they had earned 20% of that they could have earned a living from playing in NCL. It' a shame that BCCB even dont have any pension plan for our cricketers unlike many of the other boards. May be it is time that our cricketers for their own body which would look after their financial well-being.

HawkEye000
August 9, 2006, 06:29 PM
Doesn't matter if they have ten more tournament going on, if they don't have money in our national league, our cricket won't improve. Players will concentrate more on those corporate league instead of national league. They will grow up playing 20/20 instead of 4 day games.

The BCCB should fund domestic cricket just like what BCCI, CA and the other boards do. It seems like they spend a meagre amount on the running of domestic cricket. A board that can afford sending several board members on foreign tours for sight-seeing should be able to do that. A certain portion of the money that international cricket brings in should go to help support domestic cricket. They can also look at other measures like bringing in sponsors and making domestic cricket more attractive to the general public but it (domestic cricket) can never be self reliant so BCCB has to always pump in money but the amount should be more than what they are doing now.

sadi
August 9, 2006, 07:03 PM
Selectors should be well paid but the priority should be the players. The first class cricketers should be paid more than the selectors and this happens in almost all the test countries. The players (international & domestic) should get a certain percentage (around 20-25 %) of all the revenue earned by BCCB. And when the players or a body that repsesents them are aware of all the financial activities of BCCB that would also make the BCCB a more transparent organization.

The other thing is that the first class players should be paid well enough so that they can make a living out of playing the NCL and that would make them take the NCL in a serious manner and not like a picnic tour. The first class season should also span the entire cricket season that is it should be played over 6 months (Oct to Mar). It's a hopeless sitation now where the only source of income for the players (other than national team members) is from those clubs of the Premier League. That's the only raeson why our cricketers still look forward to the premier league then just focussing on the first class cricket played at the NCL.

The county players earn more than 30,000 pounds a season and the Ranji players earn about 35,000 rupees a match, but it's a tragedy that our NCL earn ridiculously low amounts. Even if they had earned 20% of that they could have earned a living from playing in NCL. It' a shame that BCCB even dont have any pension plan for our cricketers unlike many of the other boards. May be it is time that our cricketers for their own body which would look after their financial well-being.

:up: well said...

cricketboy
August 10, 2006, 01:25 AM
Cricketers should get bonuses if they perform well. For example Shahriar Nafees for his century and Razzak for his match winning spell of bowling.

HereWeGo
August 10, 2006, 01:56 AM
If only our first class cricketers cud earn more, than i firmly believe that we wud have been blessed with a lot more fine talents.