PDA

View Full Version : Is Aftab most suitable for one-down position?

Tokyobreeze
August 13, 2006, 12:32 AM
I was wondering if you have thought about the current playing style of Aftab as an one-down batsman.Of course, I don't dare question his ability or skill.I am just thinking that either he really suits for the one-down position or not.

As an one-down batsman -

1. The player need to stay in the pitch a while for building the foundation.
2. Even if he has the ability of explosive stroke-making, often the player needs to come in the field within first 2-3 overs.
3. The Player needs to take responsibility and think more about the team then entertaining the crowd.
And..there are many more.

Now-a-days, we see that Aftab is comeing in the middle, starting to hit the ball around the field very soon, score a quick-fire 20+/30+ (with a 20-run over in it) and then getting out.This is happening consistently.As an one-down batsman he is always coming in the field at a very important stage of the game.And, even if the quick runs are helping to some extent, his quick departure is putting the team in a more difficult situation.

So, the ultimation question came to me is - Are we doing the right thing, playing Aftab as one-down batsman?

Please don't get me wrong, I think Aftab is going to be one of the best player we gonna produce.Just my thought is either playing him in other position will help him to flowrish his skills more effectively and will become helpful for the team too.

P.S. - I am sorry if I posted an unnecessary thread.I thought its an imp issue to discuss.Moderator please delete it if you think otherwise.

Spitfire_x86
August 13, 2006, 01:19 AM
When Bashar comes back in the team, we can send him to open with SN and let Bashar bat at #3.

Tokyobreeze
August 13, 2006, 01:27 AM
When Bashar comes back in the team, we can send him to open with SN and let Bashar bat at #3.

Bashar used to play as one-down earlier.I think he is more suitable to one-down position..Or how about playing someone like Farhad Reza?I think we need someone who can stay in the middle for sometime and stick to less-risky shots.

HawkEye000
August 13, 2006, 01:28 AM
Shahriar Nafees is a batsman who takes his time to get going but always scores at a decent rate not great though. But he can play the sheet anchor role for us and so can hold one end up. For me ideally his partner would be someone aggressive who could play his shots over the in-field. To me Aftab should be the one opening with him. Drafting him as an opener would just allow him to play more freely without the added pressure of a batsman down. Opening with Rajin and Javed would just slow things up at the top more. It's also not that Javed and Rajin makes up their slow batting by giving us some stability at the top. So if we have to lose 1 or 2 batsmen within the first 10 over, it better be Aftab making a quickfire 30 or 40 then a single digit score by Javed or Rajin wasting 30 odd deliveries.

Tokyobreeze
August 13, 2006, 01:38 AM
To me Aftab should be the one opening with him. Drafting him as an opener would just allow him to play more freely without the added pressure of a batsman down. Opening with Rajin and Javed would just slow things up at the top more. It's also not that Javed and Rajin makes up their slow batting by giving us some stability at the top. So if we have to lose 1 or 2 batsmen within the first 10 over, it better be Aftab making a quickfire 30 or 40 then a single digit score by Javed or Rajin wasting 30 odd deliveries.

Exactly...Aftab can be a good opening option too.There we might utilize his stroke-making in a better manner.Someone will also say the same thing abt Ash-Fool.We have seen some opinions regarding sending Ash as opener.I personally think Aftab will make an ideal opening partner for Sharhiar Nafees.But, we need someone who can give us more stability in one-down, isn't it?I still sometimes wonder why Bashar was brought late in the order.If that is for holding the innings in case of players like Aftab or Ash falls, then why don't bring Bashar in the middle from early and give him chance to stay in the middle?

ammark
August 13, 2006, 01:38 AM
I liked Aftab's innings' in the tests of the England tour last year. He wasnt as hot headed and played with some sort of backbone and spine. I would support seeing that Aftab 100% instead of this remarkably Ashraful-like trend he's taking on.

nannu
August 13, 2006, 04:34 AM
i say let aftab open. nafees is a real opener. but he misses a suitable partner.

nannu

Rabz
August 13, 2006, 10:16 AM
looks like aftab is gettin stuck between that 35-45 runs every match...
he needs to build up on a good start...he gets one every time..but somehow manages to mess it up...

Mr-Cricket
August 13, 2006, 10:21 AM
Is Aftab most suitable for one-down position?
No, no & no.

DotBall
August 13, 2006, 10:27 AM
I think Aftab's current role is to take advantage of power play. He is playing like a 7th down batsman constantly trying to hit everything. I am not sure if it is going to help develop him as a dependable batsman for the team or not.
He is in the making of Afridi category. Given his current role I think it makes more sense to keep him in the 1st four batsmen. This will create a lot more pressure for rest of our fragile batting line up as Aftab will fail to score big most of the time against good teams with all hitting style.
I will wait until C. Trophy to see what he does.

Tokyobreeze
August 13, 2006, 10:49 AM
I will wait until C. Trophy to see what he does.

Exactly...Champions Trophy will be a good place to see how he reacts.Though he tried to play with more concentration in the second ODI against Kenya, but it was not chanceless and evantually fall at a very crucial time trying to take unnecessary risks..I still think Aftab bettter be sent rather in opening or later in order.

TheWatcher
August 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I too agree with you guys who said Aftab should open and HB should take over #3 position when he comes back. For the next match, the management prolly should give Tushar Imran another try at #3.

sonarbangla
August 13, 2006, 12:10 PM
i think aftab should play 5 down or something

arafath79
August 13, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yes , Aftab is suitable for one down position.

al Furqaan
August 13, 2006, 05:42 PM
today, for the first time we saw aftab play a sensible innings...and actually succeed (sort of). he usually bashes 30-50 at a SR of around 150 and today he played at a third of that scoring rate and managed to score 38 very useful runs.

i would say that now our ODI team should look like this:

1- rajin/aftab
2 - SN
3 - aftab/reza
4 - ash
5 - saqib
6 - reza/bashar*
7 - pilot (* when no bashar)
8 - razzaq/rana
9 - rafique/rajib
10 - mashrafee/rajib
11 - rasel/rajib

Spitfire_x86
August 13, 2006, 06:16 PM
Reza is not a top order batsman. He may not do well against new ball, especially when we play big teams. On the other hand, why do you want to send Bashar at #6? He will be useless in that position.

Rubu
August 13, 2006, 07:46 PM
In odi, bashar is not good coming at #3. he only recently started to do good in odi, and thats when he was brought down to number 5. he is better suited there.

but the problem is, aftab is better suited for #3 AND #6. we really need another nerveless player like him at number 6, but don't want to move him from #3.

pagol-chagol
August 13, 2006, 07:52 PM
I always felt that Aftab was our best 6th man, because he has the nerve to take us to wins. He has shown this rare skill several times in our wins. Its harder to get a 6th man like that than a perfect 1 down.

Sovik
August 13, 2006, 08:28 PM
aftab should come at 6

Tigers_eye
August 14, 2006, 02:42 PM
at 6. who at 1 then? No clue. May be Tushar? I am not sure against big teams though.

Sovik
August 14, 2006, 05:03 PM
at 6, i meant 4th-down position. tushar should play at 1-down.

Tokyobreeze
August 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
at 6, i meant 4th-down position. tushar should play at 1-down.

Who are your 2nd and 3rd down?