PDA

View Full Version : African safari report card:

Tigers_eye
August 15, 2006, 01:31 PM
The series loss at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=Zimbabwe</st1:country-region> (2-3) really hurts. We the majority fans, the coaches, the players, the administration and the media all thought we would beat Zimbabwe for sure even with our one hand tied in the back and both eyes blind folded. Contemplating a 5-0 whitewash was on the air and how would we celebrate was down to planning phase. We thought we have moved away from the Minnow labels and more closer to the ranks of WI, <st1:country-region w:st=" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pZimbabwe</ST1:p</st1:country-region> (2-3) really hurts. We the majority fans, the coaches, the players, the administration and the media all thought we would beat Zimbabwe for sure even with our one hand tied in the back and both eyes blind folded. Contemplating a 5-0 whitewash was on the air. We thought we have moved away from the Minnow labels and more closer to the ranks of WI, Pakistan</ST1:p. But the cruel reality is we have still ways to go. We didn't comeout empty handed though. This tour was somewhat successful. We did get a series win against our one time foe Kenya. We lead the head to head series now. One player who took a lot of heat for losing the Zimbabwe</ST1:p series came back with vengeance. Won three back to back Man of Match to redeem himself. Mashrafe Mortaza. Finishing the series on a high is all well and dandy but this away tour had put a spot light were we are lacking. This glares so big that team management must address the issues immediately. World Cup is knocking at the door, we must rectify the problems as soon as possible.

Inconsistant top order was the real problem. We used 3 opening combinations within the 8 games. Lacking the ability to build a partnership would go hand in hand with this one. Everyone is to be blamed here. The players and the management.

Inclusion of Javed Omar was a mistake. There was no justification for him to be in the team at the first place. He didn’t do anything extraordinary in the last three series to be recalled. Yes, he was recalled because as far as I know Rajin out performed him from the Kenyan series which was played at home. The captain’s selection is questionable here. Favoritism should not be at this stage. Performance should be the criteria.
Seven out of eight games our first wicket fell at an average of 17 total with in 5 overs. A stand of 99 between SN and Rajin in the fifth game of the Zimbabwe</ST1:p series bumped up the average to 27.63 runs. Rajin do not have the answer also. His inability to work the ball and rotate the strick is a major reason for his 50+ strike rate. There are plenty of games before the WC to find a permanent partner for Shariar Nafees.

The second wicket partnership was worse. Averaging only 19.38 in 8 games. That is no partnership to tell you the truth. Aftab is the culprit here. 7 out of 8 times he was involved in the 1<SUP>st</SUP> down partnership. His inability to build a partnership was the main cause. I would blame the strategy makers also. When we don’t have a good opening partnership why put a guy and ask him to hit out? I fully understand of taking advantage of the fielding restriction but losing wickets too early puts tremendous pressure on the batting lineup. If we can not negotiate with the medium pace of Zimbabwe and Kenya what would we do against the like of Shoaib, Lee, Bond? I for one don’t want to see Vass picking up another hattrick in the first 3 balls of the match in the next world cup. Solution to this first down and/or many other downs problem is to make them practice more. There is no alternative to practice. Management must create tournaments even with local sides of other nations to make sure these boys rectify their mistakes before the World Cup. If that is not feasible then let the national team play against the development squad 10 to 15 times or something.

Now the next down. Ash the Man.</ST1:p I mean Ashraful’s position in the team is a concern at this stage of his caeer. 70+ matches and still can't figureout what is consistency. I would like to see him open the innings more since Rajin or Javed Omar is not an option and we have no genuine opening batsman. One fifty and 3 single digit scores out of 8 outings is not what a team demands from a second down batsman. It should have been the opposite for any decent second down batsman.
Next down Alok. The less said the better it is.

Bashar played two games and was underperforming also.

I like what I see in the new comers Sakibul Hasan and Farhad Reza. Although I must admit I was little skeptical about there inclusion so early. Since <ST1:pKenya</ST1:p is not the standard that we will be facing from 2007 I for one hope and pray that they are not thrust into the fire too soon. Then again, the alternatives are not promising. Sakib did a favulous job in the four game he played. At times he seemed to be in a little hurry but that will change with experience. Reza, he is a performer. Hope he continues to build on what he has done on this series. These two have the highest averages for this series. Reza 46.3, and Sakib right behind with 44 (not counting Abdur Razzaq’s infinity average). On the contrary, Aftab averaged 22.9, Rajin 24.8 and Ash 28.17. I see competition for positions which were for granted all this time. Future should be bright no matter what.

Khaled Mashud captained 6 games, Won 4 and lost 2. Individual performance wise his average was 35.33 right behind Shariar Nafees’s 36.38. As a seventh down batsman (in five matches) with top order collapsing almost every game he did a decent job. He matched equal number of 25+ partnership (six of them) with Ash (6 matches) and Aftab (8 matches) with less matches played. Only Shariar Nafees had more with 10 out of 8 matches. His glove work was great as usual. However, rotating stike and not running out his partners is something he needs to work on. Communication is the key. His strike rate was very low, but losing his wicket with unnecessary risk would have meant the end of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=Kenya</st1:country-region> and <ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=Zimbabwe</st1:country-region></ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:State w:st=<ST1http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=Zimbabwe</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st=" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh</ST1:p</st1:country-region> innings.

Rafique did great with the ball. I can’t recall any bowler finishing his quota under 20 runs. 1st ODI against the Kenyans he had 10 overs 2 maidens 19 runs 1 wicket. Batting and fielding was as always unpredictable and below par. Three zeroes in the last three match didn’t do any justice. We should not be depending on him get the score go 250+ anyways. That’s the fragile top orders job. A good foundation always allows players like Rafique to play freely. A 48 run partnership in the second match was instrumental in setting up a decent total. Congratulations for the 100 cap for rafique. It proves his durability also.

Mashrafe's <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pZimbabwe</ST1:p</st1:country-region> series was a disaster. His performance with the bat and bowl was haunting him. However, he bounced back nicely. Three back to back Man of Match award was well deserved. Congratulations!! His batting in the second ODI against <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pKenya</ST1:p</st1:country-region> should be a lesson to our top order. Controlling the unnecessary shots and playing with a cool he shepard Razzaq and brought us the win. Experience for once helped <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pBangladesh</ST1:p</st1:country-region> win a match.

This brings in Abdur Razzaq. He was a man with a mission. This was his coming out party from the shadows of Rafique. He was the only batsman that none of the opponents could claim his wicket. This should be a record where a Bangladeshi player played 4 games and remained not out for the entire tour. Yes, he is #10 in the depth chart yet he faced 55 balls in four matches and score 45. Hello Rajin, Aftab, Ash are you guys reading this? He bowled a total of 63 overs gave a 220 runs and got 9 wickets. Economy rate of 3.49 and averaging a wicket for ever 24.4 runs. Alok are you reading this?

Finally Shahadat. Boy, a hattrick no matter who the opponent is should be something to cherish for a long time. It becomes more important when it is the first one for the country. My disappointment was his inability to gather himself after Rafique dropped a sitter. As a bowler you must learn to leave the negative and concentrate on the positives. His aggression is at times a little too much. But I am not complaining. He will learn in time.

Rasel showed his glimpse of potential with a 4 wicket havoc. 6 wickets in last two matches giving away 40 runs in 18.1 overs, I would take that every time. All these boys have to do is stay healthy.

Grades: Management: C. Bumped up the grade from D by sending Alok, JO back and sending a message to everyone on the team.

JOmar: F.

SNafees: the One and only opener we have. A-

RSaleh: C

AAhmed: D

MAahraful: C-

HBashar: C. we did lose the first game under his captaincy which put us into the back foot from the very beginning.

AKapali: F. scoring 33 runs and giving away 66 runs 8.4 overs with zero wickets negates any style, blah blah he has.

SHasan: A- as a new comer and his performance was over my expectation.

FReza: A same as above.

KMasud: WK A, Batting D (runouts), Captaincy C over all C

MRafique: Bowling B+, Batting D soft corner upgrade overall C+

MMortaza: A- The 17 run last over, grrr.

ARazzaq: A Bowling and batting.

SHossain: B hattrick upgrade.

SRasel: A

Zunaid
August 15, 2006, 01:40 PM
yo, check your pm cats_eye

Tigers_eye
August 15, 2006, 02:07 PM
checked. 2:04pm to be exact. I know it is different than yours. check your email. tsk tsk. For some reason it is sending bad messages to mine. :)

Dhurr
August 15, 2006, 03:26 PM
Well written. Good analysis. Er pore Dhaka gele apnar store theke beraye ashbo. :p

sadi
August 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
I would give Shahriar Nafees a B+, he should be more consistent. Failed to do anything spectecular in Kenya.

Aftab deserves a C I believe. He did gave us some quick start and looked way better than everyone else while he was there. Only fault I see with him is his tendency to play too many shots. In the second odi, he did try to play it slow and scored a valuable 38.

Overall, great work Cats_eye...

al Furqaan
August 15, 2006, 04:38 PM
agree with all except i would give aftab and ash teh same grade: c-

SN a B+
rasel A-, rajib B+
saqib and reza both A- (saqib's bowling brings him up, reza's bowling brings him down)
mash B+ (would love to give him A-)

al Furqaan
August 15, 2006, 04:39 PM

looks like our prayers have been answered...

thanks cats eye...i thought i was gonna have to write it, but i wanted someone else too.

Miraz
August 15, 2006, 04:44 PM
Good work, cats_eye, agreed with most part, except S Nafees and Pilot.

Like, Sadi bhai, I would give S Nafees a B+ and sorry, I can't give Piot anything better than D. I am a bit generous and will give Ash and Aftab C+ and C respectively.

Your analysis is a definite candidate for another front page article.

Fazal
August 15, 2006, 07:12 PM
Hey whats gpoing on? Who is tigers_eye. HE has already 3,585 posts. And how come I can't recognize him? And Why Dr. is calling him cats_eye?

What happened to our friend cats_eye? Is he (the cat) eaten by the tiger?

Anyway whoever you are... great analysis to read. I didn't whatched the games so really cannot agree or argue with you, but great thread to read.

sadi
August 15, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hey whats gpoing on? Who is tigers_eye. HE has already 3,585 posts. And how come I can't recognize him? And Why Dr. is calling him cats_eye?

after the win against kenya, the cat has turned into a tiger...

Dhurr
August 15, 2006, 10:57 PM

Anyway whoever you are... great analysis to read. I didn't whatched the games so really cannot agree or argue with you, but great thread to read.

cats eye ke amra elephant road er dokan ta niye hashi thatta kori bole uni nick change korsen; now he's known as tigers eye.

Mr-Cricket
August 15, 2006, 11:36 PM
So it takes 13 months for a Cats_eye > Tigers_eye?

Interesting.

May I ask what your planning for September 2007?

What about Smilodons_eye? ;)

Spitfire_x86
August 16, 2006, 04:33 AM

Discuss it in this thread (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=17256)

Tigers_eye
August 16, 2006, 08:05 AM
after the win against kenya, the cat has turned into a tiger...
Great minds think alike. We have distanced ourselves from the associate members forever. We are no longer the cats under the tigers outfit. We are tigers now. Watchout kangaroo's you are in our hunting list.

Dhurr bhaia,
[বাংলা]তোমার কথায় অকাট্ঠ্য যুক্তি আছে। কিন্তু আমার চামরা অনেক মোটা। :)[/বাংলা]

Mr. Cricket,
May be Owls_eye. We will become a night hunter and win all night games under the floodlights.

Tigers_eye
August 16, 2006, 09:44 AM
Thank you everyone for your feedback on the performance of the players.

Some stats that I didn't include.
SNafees: scored a total of 291 runs in 8 games. While he stayed at the crease Bangladesh scored a total of 654 (Partnership runs).
RSaleh: 124 runs in 5 matches --- 370 partnership runs.
KMashud: 106 runs in 5 matches, 2 notouts --- 367 partnership runs.
MAshraful: 169 runs in 6 matches, 1 notout --- 361 partnership runs.
AAhmed: 183 runs in 8 matches --- 320 partnership runs.
FReza: 185 runs in 4 matches, 2 notouts --- 308 partnership runs.
SHasan: 88 runs in 4 matches, 2 notouts --- 229 partnership runs.
MMortaza: 89 runs in 5 matches, 1 notout --- 131 partnership runs.
ARazzaq: 45 runs in 4 matches, 4 notouts --- 127 partnership runs.
MRafique: 72 runs in 5 matches --- 115 partneship runs.
HBashar: 45 runs in 2 matches --- 76 partnership runs.
Akapali: 33 runs in 2 matches --- 59 partnership runs.
JOmar: 24 runs in 3 matches --- 45 partnership runs.

The shear number of runs scored and partnership runs alone puts S Nafees top to all batters. But his occational leg glance to the long leg, fine leg, leg slip has compelled me to give him a lower grade than Reza. But still a 90+ performance I would say.

Which innings would you rate better? Mash's match winning innings of 41 notout or Ash's match winning innings of 67 notout. Even though both were matchwinning innings obviously, the lower order batsman would get the nod because that is not his primary job.

thebest
August 16, 2006, 10:03 AM
Cat_eye oops Tiger_eye,
you are too liberal. Though agree with bowlers grading. But not with batsman. And my man of the tour is Rajjak . He just transform himself from fringe to an automatic choice. Should get an A+ for his fantastic bowling and considerable batting. Not evry series, one of our batsman remain unconqurerd.
After the absymal batting performance, I would not give any top order B+, let alone A-.
SN is the best of worst. So he would get B. Take out the century in the irrelavent 5th match. That century not only inflated his average but also grading by you
Rajin C he should have been D for batting, can not hit, can not rotate. His fielding also deterioted. But bowling moved up. So C is ok. but I was curious why Pilot did not use him as bowler in the 2 ODI in Kenya
Aftab and Ash C- There is no better examples than these two how to waste you talent. Aftab doing same and same mistake again and again. Ash no comment. At least in the last one, bowler earned it, but as a top order batsman we should defend that kind of ball. Why Pilot did not try out them in any of the matches.

Tigers_eye
August 16, 2006, 10:27 AM
TheBest,
lol, (in real life I am not that generous) if I had really graded the way I grade my online students, most of them wouldn't pass. Hense we would not have an eleven for the next series. You fail and you are out of the program. So basically I agree with almost all of you that we have one of the most inconsistant top order in world cricket and can't cross 250 against Zimbabwe.