PDA

View Full Version : Next Test Status Country

battye
August 16, 2006, 06:56 AM
There are no real outstanding performances among the non-Test playing countries.

For so long Kenya looked very good in the first class arena, and were beating the Full members in the ODI arena (WC2003), but recently they seem to have gone downhill quite a bit. I believe they lost in their Intercontinental match to Canada, but won the 2 ODI's.. then they lost all 3 to Bangladesh, without passing 200 (?). Unfortunately, as if this wasn't bad enough, they are an aging team, and their stars, such as Steve Tikolo (who in my opinion, is a Test quality batsman) have only a few years left.

Canada have potential, they have won their Intercontinental matches against Kenya, and just recently against Bermuda, but they are useless in the ODI's. Most of their players are from overseas as well (Davidson from Aus, Barnett from NZ to name a few) which suggests there might not be much in terms of local talent in the future, but not knowing anything about their domestic structure, I don't know.

Bermuda have no chance methinks, they haven't done anything at all, bar a win over Canada a few months ago in an ODI.

There are of course Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands (first two play in the English County Competition don't they?) but I haven't heard or read much about them performing anything other than ordinarily in the ODI's. Also, Netherlands conceded the highest ODI score not that long ago, which suggests they have a way to go.

Some of the other countries which I hear some good things about are Nepal (don't know why, but they stick out for some reason?), Afghanistan (beating MCC XI) and Namibia (who made the WC2003). Possibly one day, these countries may feature, but I don't think they will for quite a while yet.

abdulw11
August 16, 2006, 07:10 AM
I think after some of the negative responses towards Bangladesh's Test status, the ICC will think long and hard before giving test status to another nation. Also a country would have to perform extraordinarily (sp?), on a regular basis, to even come close to being considered for test status.

ialbd
August 16, 2006, 08:13 AM
onek deri ache b4 any of these countries get Test status, and a lot can change in this long time (like cricket gaining immense popularity or deciding not to play cricket anymore) so its hard to say. But by the virtue of south asian immigrants moving to Canada, there is a chance that it will be canada (but in another 10 years or sth)
________
Honda 2rc146 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_2RC146)

Tigers_eye
August 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
Bermuda: Have no future when the great WI is declining faster than a shooting star. That region is infested by Baseball.

Canada: They have a realistic shot. But the cold winters makes it only a summer time game.

Scotland: The fans don't support.

Holland: At that day when SL flexed their Muscles even Australia would have hard time to control Jaya and co. They are the second strongest team among the associates. However, Cricket will have to fight real hard with Football, Hockey etc. sports. I don't think they can win that battle.

Nepal: They have a good group and system for the junior levels. However their seniors are still ametures. Unless other countries like BD, Ind help them there is no test cricket in the future.

Afgans: They have bigger fish to fry. Wait till the US moves out. All the pipelines that will go through Afganistan will be sabotaged. Another chaos will demolish everything they have and the cycle will continue.

I see Malaysia as one of the next in line with the proper support. That is at least 10 years from now.

The only realistic chance the country has is Ireland. They have the local grown talent. They play with the English county and there is a fanbase. England has to push hard with all sort of support in order for anything to happen.

battye
August 16, 2006, 09:35 AM
Holland: At that day when SL flexed their Muscles even Australia would have hard time to control Jaya and co. They are the second strongest team among the associates. However, Cricket will have to fight real hard with Football, Hockey etc. sports. I don't think they can win that battle.

I have a Dutch friend who says cricket is becoming quite popular over there.. gaining quite a fan-base.

BagherBacha
August 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
ireland

sadi
August 16, 2006, 10:19 AM
After Bangladesh experience, I don't think anyone in next 10-15 years. Kenya had a chance but looks like they will be worse than Nepal in 5 years.

istiak
August 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
I have a Dutch friend who says cricket is becoming quite popular over there.. gaining quite a fan-base.

Not really!! I am from Netherlands and playying some local cricket......... not really many locals are interested.

China is the next country !!!

roi
August 16, 2006, 10:31 AM
My guess is maleysia is going to be next into the party.

By the way, how about hongkong?

roi
August 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
China is the next country !!!
China?!:eek: Never heard if it in the corner....any clue?:confused:

Mahmood
August 16, 2006, 01:45 PM
It wont be a Asian team for sure, (politics). It does not seem that it will an African team either. Few european and north american teams are there, but none worth considering now.

Looks like it will be a ten team show for at least a decade.

Fazal
August 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
I think its Afganistan.

HawkEye000
August 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
It should be Ireland, they are producing world class players in Morgan and Ed Joyce. Scotland isn't that far behind too. They are also getting to play in the English domestic cricket and the popularity is also on the rise. Netherland is now the weakest of the 3 European nations, so their chances of getting test staus in the near futurre is quite bleak. The Asian countries like Nepal, Afghanistan and Malaysia are also catching up. Countries like Canada, UAE, USA would find it tough to get test status as the game in only played by the immigrants.

Ahmed_B
August 16, 2006, 02:26 PM
Just a curiosity...

Are there any plans from ICC to award Test Status to any of the associates in near future? Havn't heard anything like that yet... and ICC's current position regarding ZIM & BD (regretting that they gave Test Status to these counrtires) only suggests that the ICC will think 20 times before awarding Test Status to any other country in near future.

Enlighten me pls?

Faisal
August 16, 2006, 03:04 PM
Canada canada Canada & Canada for sure.....

ammark
August 16, 2006, 03:41 PM
Its still too early. One big reason that BD got test status and not Kenya is the market for cricket here and the available infrastructure. There is huge popularity in Bangladesh compared to in Kenya Holland or Canada. Bangladesh also had a lot of pre-existing venues that just needed upgrading to higher standard for local cricket. The BCB also manages cricket games throughout all our districts. The only thing thats lacking and hindering our Test development now is emphasis on a four-day first class structure that should be played equal number of times as all the Limited overs games that the 1st division/premeier division teams play.

israr
August 16, 2006, 03:41 PM
I can tell u guys onething, there won't be any new test playing nation atleast for a decade. I am confident that Bangladesh will be a very competitive side with some consistent world class players by the 2011 WC, and Zimbabweans will also soon catch up, maybe by 2015. With these two teams settled as a strong test teams amongst the other elite nations, then can the ICC contemplate over this matter.

Bancan
August 16, 2006, 03:46 PM
it may be canada. there are so many indians and pakistanis , and other south asains here who are interested in cricket. there are also ppl from west indies here too. so if they all start playin cricket i bet they will be a strong team in the near future.

bengaltiger
August 16, 2006, 07:51 PM
which associate teams are better than kenya? because despite kenya's amazing past, they weren't that impressive the last few series.

Hatebreed
August 17, 2006, 02:53 AM
I seriously doubt there will be another test status country anytime soon. ICC will wait until Bangladesh reaches a competitive level, like WI or SL and that could take at least 10 years.

So it's not possible to say which country will gain test status next. Having more people interested in cricket or playing it doesn't mean they are going to be a better team. Instead we should be asking which will be the next full ODI status country, or which next non-cricketing country will become a associate member, etc.

battye
August 17, 2006, 03:19 AM
To the person that said ICC will be regretting giving Bangladesh and Zimbabwe Test status, I disagree.

Zimbabwe were strong competition between 1992 (when given Test status) up to about 2000. At one stage Andy Flower was the top ranked batsman in the world. It is only recently that things have been going downhill, but their recent series win over Bangladesh suggests that maybe they are on the rise again :)

Bangladesh has so much potential in both forms of the game, everyone knows that they will be a force to be reckoned with in the next decade. They almost beat Australia in a Test match, when almost every other country can't even get close. Add that to the fact that they have had fairly sound ODI performances (win over Australia for example) and you have a good team in the making :)

Rabz
August 17, 2006, 04:11 AM
Kenya was in the pipeline, untill thier recent demise.

i think it would hv to be ireland, but ECB needs to play a big role into it.
Also keeping politics in mind, Europe would probably get the next one.

Nepal also have a good future i think. with BD, Ind, Pak and SL alongside them, i cant see how cricket will not flourish in their country, given thier administrators start to take things seriously. they have a good cricket culture over there and had few success in the u-19 and junior level cricket. i'd personally would luv to see another team from the subcontinent coming up. but we neighbours also needs to lend our hand in thier progress.

but as said before, it aint happening for atleast 10 more years or so.

Ahmed_B
August 17, 2006, 06:22 AM
To the person that said ICC will be regretting giving Bangladesh and Zimbabwe Test status, I disagree.
That person would be me. But you probably got my post wrong. What I wrote there indicates that ICC 'regrets' giving Test status to BD.. and not 'wil regret'. I was referring to the number of comments from ICC related persons (even Dalmiah said few days back that it was given early)and ICC's defensive reply to them ... it is almost obvious that ICC is not very much comfortable in facing critics of BD's Test status. Now whether ICC is wrong or right to give us test status.. thats another issue. But just because of being criticized by lot of people and not being comfortable to defend it... ICC will be far less interested to award Test status to more countries soon.

I hope I make my point clear now.

Miraz
August 17, 2006, 06:25 AM
ICC already have 10 test playing nations and a very tightly packed FTP. Last two countries who received test status are still struggling to cope with test standard. I don't think ICC is gonna award test status to any country in near future.

mzia
August 17, 2006, 07:02 AM
Increasing test playing country will not be good for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Already 2-tier system is being promoting by BIG BIG test playing countries. Then avoiding test tour-lag it will get more wind and commercial point of view it would not be feasible though.

Sovik
August 17, 2006, 08:52 AM
kenya

battye
August 18, 2006, 05:58 AM
That person would be me.

Sorry, I wasn't able to find the quote again when I was replying :p

tas
August 18, 2006, 08:28 PM
The only reason that Bangladesh was given Test status is because the Asian countries wanted Bangladesh in so they could have increased power - they could vote as a bloc at most meetings (example - 2011WC)

Everyone knows that we weren't test standard in 2000. We are only starting to get there now. I give us 12-15 years before we become really compeitive. Only then can the ICC think about an 11th or 12th test nation. I agree - I also think that it will be Ireland - players like Eoin Morgan and Ed Joyce are and will be good to play for England. If the game becomes a bit more popular they have a shot, but not for a while yet

Bearman
August 20, 2006, 04:42 PM
Ireland is the only possibility on this list. As some of you guys have said this list looks in the wrong direction. Cricket is FAR more popular in Afghanistan, Nepal and the UAE than any of these countries. Nepal and Afghan have fast improving teams and good juniors. If an exceptional generation come along (like Kenya a few years ago) then ODI status could come quite quickly, and then, unlike in Kenya, the fan support will be there to propel the country to test status.

AsifTheManRahman
August 21, 2006, 11:51 AM
It will be a long time before anyone else gets the status. While the European associates are good, they don't have the infrastructure/popularity/reserve players. And countries that have the popularity (such as Afghanistan and Nepal) are not good enough yet. In order for a country to get test status, they will have to have more grounds and an infrastructure/domestic league that has to be superior to what Bangladesh had five years ago, thanks to our dismal performances in the test arena over the years.

Ahmed_B
August 22, 2006, 05:44 AM
thanks to our dismal performances in the test arena over the years.
The Criticism in the media is so harsh sometimes in this capitallist new world... that it often gets us to believe whatever it wants to. Almost every Test team struggled in it's beginning years.. yet it has to be Bangladesh who's performance is 'unacceptably dismal'.

Test Cricket is the toughest form of the game... and you can never become good at it untill you have played it for a significant length of time....not atleast in the current format of the game when you are not allowed to play test matches when you are an ODI status country. It's like a new shoe which will keep being tight-fit untill you have been wearing it for 1 or two weeks.... and that also everyday.

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2006, 01:17 PM
I agree with Ahmed_B totally. had it not been a 3 day affair NZ lost column would have been overflowing more than the ganges. It took them 20+ years to taste the first test victory (the Match was extended for 5 days by that time). That was when WI already secured the series. I am not sure how many years before they won a series. In those days people use to break individual records on NZ. 300+ scores and such. They were the punching bag.

israr
August 22, 2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with Ahmed_B totally. had it not been a 3 day affair NZ lost column would have been overflowing more than the ganges. It took them 20+ years to taste the first test victory (the Match was extended for 5 days by that time). That was when WI already secured the series. I am not sure how many years before they won a series. In those days people use to break individual records on NZ. 300+ scores and such. They were the punching bag.

Plus the quality of cricket had improved a lot more than during the 60s, 70s and 80s, and we're awarded test status at a time when even the Zimbabweans were at their prime, so ofcouse, Bangladesh needed some time to adapt themselves amongst the big leagues.

Baundule
August 24, 2006, 10:45 AM
Nepal. Their young side is very talented. If they get the chances, they are the fastest improving side.

Rabz
August 24, 2006, 11:10 AM
too bad Nepal just lost today. this win and qualifyin to the World league would hv surely taken them a long way.
better luck next time i guess.

nasifkhan
August 26, 2006, 01:55 AM
where is Nepal in the Poll list...? I want Nepal to be the next test team.....I like the attitude of this Nepal Players ....

Andy-Flower
August 28, 2006, 02:20 AM
Non of these guys deserve to be playing test cricket at the moment..there is a huge gap between B/D-Zim and these guys and yet our teams are still considered too weak for Test cricket. I agree with Abdulw11 that the ICC will be forced to think long and hard before granting any country test status.

TheWatcher
September 1, 2006, 10:46 AM
Andy is right to say none of the associate countries is anywhere near to be considered for Test status in near future. But, if we consider the national talent pool as the indication of the future progress of a country, Kenya is still leading among the countries mentioned in the poll. At this point Ireland, Scotland, and Holland probably have stronger teams than Kenya does, but it is because those European countries can pick players from Eng, Aus, NZ, and SA based on the players' ancestry.

Few people mentioned Nepal's name here. In the fashions Nepal lost to UAE and Afghanistan in ACC trophy, the country seems to have a long way to go before being considered for anything.

Andy-Flower
September 5, 2006, 02:17 AM
Well said^^^;)