PDA

View Full Version : Unitech Cup: Could BD been the replacement?

Rabz
August 17, 2006, 12:55 PM
im sure you all know about South Africa's pull out from the triangular Unitech Cup in Sri Lanka due to security reasons. Fair enough, im not going into that debate.

But that gives me the idea, could Bangladeshi administrators and management had done anything for a late inclusion fo Banglaedesh into the tri nations as a SA replacement?

Now, i dont know if they had tried or not, but i think it would hv given us the perfect opportunity to play some good quality cricket ahead of the Champions Trophy qualifier. Most importantly, it would have given us for some much needed cricket, both players and fan alike.

Since the drama unfolded, i have not seen one single report, either from Bangladeshi newspaper or anyother cricket websites (eg cricinfo) that our admins were trying to or any indication of such. Whether the host would have wanted us or not remains to be speculated, but as the bottom ranked team hungry for some good oppositions, we should not have left any stones unturned on our side.

If that's the case, i think we just missed a great opportunity that was merely presented to us! Again, im dissapointed on the incompetent administrators of BCB for failing to recognise an opportunity and act accordingly.

What do u guys think ?

kalpurush
August 17, 2006, 12:59 PM
:up:
Sydney, if our cricket administrators could think quick like you that would be a 9th Wonder of the World! Yes, we missed a great opportunity here for sure!!:(

sadi
August 17, 2006, 01:00 PM
It would've been a great idea but I don't expect our board to be that smart. Obviously, they haven't thought about it or even if they did, didn't even bother to try it thinking they will get rejected. I am sure, Srilanka would've consider it seriously since it means more games instead of a three game series they are playing right now.

Rabz
August 17, 2006, 01:13 PM
and in all fairness to the fans, the SL cricket board could hv given its ppl the choice of either refunding the tickets to those who were previously looking for SA games, or watch BD fighting it out with SL/Ind. they would still stand to earn more and hv the "tri-nation" than a bileteral series with lesser games.

cuz to be fairness, we r not still a crowd puller when compared to Sout Africa.

rudro
August 17, 2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, it could have been and we would have loved to see it happen. But these coulds and woulds will always be coulds and woulds as long as a spineless adminstrator named Lobby remains on the top. By the way, how on the earth he gets to keep his name "Lobby" when he doesn't know what it means?

Fazal
August 17, 2006, 01:52 PM
. By the way, how on the earth he gets to keep his name "Lobby" when he doesn't know what it means?

I think he knows it very well. Thats how he got the job in the 1st place and continue to keep his job.

israr
August 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
what's the use of talking on such a fruitless discussion

Sovik
August 17, 2006, 06:15 PM
south africa shouldn't have pulled out. i don't think there was any danger for the players. but they didn't want to take any risks.

Hatebreed
August 17, 2006, 07:10 PM
Does anyone think SA pulled out also because there were scared of being thrashed apart?

(even though I would support SA in this series)

Rabz
August 18, 2006, 12:51 AM
what's the use of talking on such a fruitless discussion

sorry i cant agree with you. its not a fruitless discussion.
smaller things like this makes a huge difference in the progress of the game.

Whenever there is an opportunity, u hv to grab them with both hands. we talk about the inconsistency, immaturity of our players and our BCB admins r no better.

i believe our series lost to Zimbabwe has a lot do to with the long 3 months off from the cricket by the players. Had they played any competitve games within that time, they would hv been better prepared for the series, and we MIGHT hv come home with the series win. just look at the Kenya matches, even though we didnt perform that good along with the fact it was Kenya, still we managed to whitewash them and finish the tour few wins under our belt.

Now, we dont hv any cricket for the next 2 months. the same cycle of rustiness and lack of practise will come upon the players, only this time they will play quality opponents like SL and WI for the qualifiers. Margin of error would be minimal and its those little mistakes could make a difference between win or loose.

Playing against SL and Ind could hv the perfect opportunity. i know u r saying its fruitless becuase nothing is going to happen, and i agree with ya on that part. but my objection is why it couldnt happen?

once again, the BCB gets a F-- for their performance.

shaheen
August 18, 2006, 02:33 AM
I was wondering whether any objection from ICC to include BD national team there. In fact now-a-days every body is talking abt the burning of players (by playing more and more matches). I guess ICC will rather keep it as two nations game rather then tri-nation series. This is just my thought. But I titally agrre that if BD national team join there then we will gain a lot.

Tokyobreeze
August 18, 2006, 03:45 AM
I think he knows it very well. Thats how he got the job in the 1st place and continue to keep his job.

Hmm...Lobby knows lobbying I suppose...But, probably he cares to lobby only for his place not for the BD cricket.

Tokyobreeze
August 18, 2006, 03:49 AM
smaller things like this makes a huge difference in the progress of the game.

Whenever there is an opportunity, u hv to grab them with both hands. we talk about the inconsistency, immaturity of our players and our BCB admins r no better.

i believe our series lost to Zimbabwe has a lot do to with the long 3 months off from the cricket by the players. Had they played any competitve games within that time, they would hv been better prepared for the series, and we MIGHT hv come home with the series win. just look at the Kenya matches, even though we didnt perform that good along with the fact it was Kenya, still we managed to whitewash them and finish the tour few wins under our belt.

Now, we dont hv any cricket for the next 2 months. the same cycle of rustiness and lack of practise will come upon the players, only this time they will play quality opponents like SL and WI for the qualifiers. Margin of error would be minimal and its those little mistakes could make a difference between win or loose.

Playing against SL and Ind could hv the perfect opportunity. i know u r saying its fruitless becuase nothing is going to happen, and i agree with ya on that part. but my objection is why it couldnt happen?

Can't agree more:up:

Ahmed_B
August 18, 2006, 04:43 AM
smaller things like this makes a huge difference in the progress of the game...

Interesting Emogic!(=Emotional Logic)

Well.. since you insist on having discussions for discussion's sake (Even though it will not have any impact on reality).... lets extend the objectiveness of the topic and bring some of 'bitter reality doze' in it.

It not very hard to trace back the root of these tri-nation serieses from the ICC meeting proceedings on the end of last year and early this year. It was pretty obvious from the Indian Cricket Board's point of view that to them... playing weaker minnow countries like BD or ZIM is a matter of huge financial loss for the board. Accordingly... they launched a huge campaigne for restricting these two nations to be allowed only to play on their home soil. That campaigne did not get enough momentum though... just prior to the finalization of the current FTP of ICC (active from May'2006)the BCCI held meetings with the Aussi & the England cricket board to enhance the number of 'mutually benificial' 2/3 nation serieses among themselves. However.. this later campaigne worked. And the current FTP clearly mentions that teams like IND,PAK,AUS,ENG.. and some other stronger teams will play multinational matches/tournaments on more often basis which will give their criket more popularity as well as more money.

And also to add to this bitter information, just since you want to discuss the issue, Bangladesh has been deprived of ANY test match against ANY country for the first 1 year of the new FTP. Also.... there is not any Test+ODI Series between Bangladesh & India for quite a long time in this new FTP.

So Sydney... I hope you get the total picture now.. and understand how much 'unwanted' Bangladesh is to some of these countries. And you really think that it's BCB's fault that they did not try to stick in this tournament? I'm just so very glad that BCB did no try for it because the only reply they would get is "Well.. this is a tournament for big guys... so buzz off!"

Even the vicious bomb attacks in colombo could not disturb india's interest to play this tournament. So I hope you understand by now that the issue is way over the line of thoughts you are looking at it from. And here we are... like typical bangladeshi's, fighting over the issue among ourselves.. and just as usual.. pointing at the BD authority putting every blame on them.

That's perhaps our favorite passtime these days!

reverse_swing
August 18, 2006, 05:02 AM
Well said Ahmed_B bhai.

Rabz
August 18, 2006, 05:23 AM
i understand ur point Ahmed_B.

yes we r not wanted in the big boys league, and thats why its upto us to go and try find some opportunity. im not saying why we not playin the tri series in the first place. im simply saying why we didnt try to make a late entry when SA pulled out?

So, as per ur comments, u r suggesting us to simply wrap our tails and sit quitely for something to happen?? rather than trying to make things happen for ourselves?? how do u expect them to give us that opportunity if we dont even try. Even Allah said in Holy Quran, " I help those who try to help themselves".

Especially a time, when we r deprived of any cricket for next 2 months, followed by couple of games of CT qualifier and then playing against Zim again, we need to look out for this situations and push for our cause. If we had a busy schedule, i cudnt care less what's happening over there. SL or Ind dont care if we not gettin any games, but we do. so its for our own benefit that we seek, push and secure that spot.

as a beginner of the big league, we hv to endure this kind of treatment from the stronger nations. fine with me. our days would come. but till we get to see our day, we hv to adopt ourselves to the current situation and seek for moments to thrive.

and talking about India staying back?? well, India had no other option but to stay back. why?? India is supposed to host the Champions Trophy later this year and just last month or so they had a bomb blast in Mumbai. Now, they cant pull out of SL due to security reasons when the same thing is happening in thier country. they hv no other choice but to stand beside SL or else few other nations might do the same when its their turn to host the CT. also they have to show their solidarity to the neighbouring country in times of their need.

if this tournament was in Australia, Eng or WI, i wudnt care. but its right next to our door, in SL. only a couple of hours of flight from Dhaka.

I dont think im putting my emotions into it or taking an unnecessary swing at our BCB admins.

Thank You.

sunny747
August 18, 2006, 07:11 AM
I thought about it b4.........i guess it would have been a great idea..............BCB is not that professional to send team to Sl in such a short period of time....but atleast they could have talked about it..and i'm sure Sl would have given us a grand welcome........

sadi
August 18, 2006, 07:58 AM
Good point Sydney. We can't just sit and wait for ICC to give us some games. Our BCB officials do get paid for something and they should work out something. I mean there is no harm in trying.

rudro
August 18, 2006, 08:44 AM
Good point Sydney. We can't just sit and wait for ICC to give us some games. Our BCB officials do get paid for something and they should work out something. I mean there is no harm in trying.
YES! THEY TAKE OUR MONEY AND IN RETURN PAYS BACK "GHORAR DIM". By the way, is there any plan from BCB to keep our players active during the break?

HawkEye000
August 18, 2006, 05:44 PM
Following their withdrawal from the tri-series involving Sri Lanka and India, South Africa have agreed to host Zimbabwe for two one-day internationals and a Twenty20 match in mid-September.

The website Supercricket.com reported that Mickey Arthur, the South African coach, is set to request additional matches to compensate for the cancellation of the tri-series.

The matches will be the only preparation for both sides ahead of October's Champions Trophy in India. The Twenty20 match, against the Eagles, will be played on September 13 at Kimberly, followed by the one-day internationals at Bloemfontein and East London.

Zimbabwe in South Africa
Wednesday, Sept 13 - Twenty20 Tour Match - Eagles v Zimbabweans
Friday, Sept 15 - 1st ODI, Goodyear Park, Bloemfontein
Sunday, Sept 17 - 2nd ODI, Buffalo Park, East London

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/256751.html

HawkEye000
August 18, 2006, 05:47 PM
I wonder what would have happened if BCCB approached the South African board right after the last match in Kenya. May be a three match ODI series would have been possible. We palyed our last match on the 15th and they decided to come back back on the 16th. So it would have been very tight.

SMHasan
August 18, 2006, 09:17 PM
Sydney is right. You gotta try to make things happen rather than waiting for something to happen. BCB could have tried to arrange a special deal. But they are too busy with the election!

Sam
August 18, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hi guys, if some of you are thinking seriously that we should participate (rather, BCB should come forward with request to arrange to include BD in the tournament), then why don't you write to BCB directly. Their address is :
<TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table2 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=250 border=0><TBODY><TR></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD class=lightbg align=middle width="100%" background=Image/bluebar.jpg>Management Office</TD></TR><TR><TD width="80%">Navana Tower (5th Floor) </TD></TR><TR><TD width="80%">45 Gulshan Avenue</TD></TR><TR><TD width="80%">Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tel. +(880) 2 9888956, 9890530</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fax. +(880) 2 9888442</TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 18px">E-mail: info@bcb-cricket.com (info@bcb-cricket.com)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

But I agree with Ahmed_B Bhai. If it was a separate tournament involving SL and BD, SL would have agreed, but when it is involving IND, SL will be not in a position to add BD on their own discretion.

Rabz
August 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
see?? now even Zimbabwe gets to prepare themselves before the Champions Trophy and who they playing against?? South Africa.

and what our players going to do? probably nothing !! except some net practise!!

The Zims r gonna come to the qualifiers with much better preparation than us.

and Sam, mate there is no point writing to BCB. i dont think they would bother to reply fan mails.
and what is the big deal bout India being the third party in the tournament? its hosted by SL and they r facing the financial loss due to SA pull out. im sure if some thing could hv bn worked out, India wont be that stubborn to say NO, u cant play BD!! it wont get thier money's worth, but its still better than an empty stadium with no games. SL could hv salvaged some of the losses and pride by having a third team, and most importantly, show them (SA) that they could still host a "tri-nation" regardless the sudden demise of one country.

that way SL cricket board could also make an statement to them "white" countries.

bangla'r pola
August 19, 2006, 11:21 AM
That's perhaps our favorite passtime these days!

And another of our favourate passtimes in finding mistakes in anything concerning our people...most people around the world like blaming everything on the authorities, a normal human habit nothing to do with being bangladeshi

look you have to admit the board could have done better. I mean the champions trophy is going to be held in the sub continent and surely a lot of teams would love to practise in our conditions before the tournament. This oportunity should have been utilised by marketing and allowing the other teams to come get used to the conditions.

Rabz
August 20, 2006, 03:03 AM
welcome to Bangla Cricket, Bangla'r pola.

Rabz
August 24, 2006, 12:16 PM
Recently i came up with this thread and questioned the working and thinking abilities of our BCB administrations for failing to put thier hand up for the Unitech Cup after SA's unfortunate pull out.

I was even criticised by some forum members here for coming up with fruitless topic and using my "emotional logic" behind it.

The water is under the bridge well and over as the series was cancelled due to rain. But its the attempt that would have counted the most.

Now, look at what South Africa has done. They already came out in press and expressed their interest to play the One-Day series in England in case Pakistan decided to pull out. Though it is unlikely that the Pakistanis would do that and the show would go on, but its the quick thinking of the South African coach and the board that has to be appreciated.

They realise the lack of games before the Champions Trophy and was quick to identify an opportunity and act on it. Should they not be able to play, still they know they had a go at it.

Our BCB officials should also take a good look at themselves and learn a lesson from that.

Read the following Cricinfo Report:

We'd like to fill the gap- SA coach (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/257669.html)

sadi
August 24, 2006, 12:23 PM
Well said Sydney bhai. I was thinking the same thing.

sadi
August 25, 2006, 08:11 AM
So right now, England is looking for teams to host an odi series but couldn't find any team yet. Maybe Bangladesh could have gone there but since our smart board has already took the side of Pakistan, I don't think thats going to happen.

Source: Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/257756.html)

South Africa turn down England approach
Cricinfo staff
August 25, 2006
Cricket South Africa has announced that it will not be able to send a side to play in England should Pakistan not be able to honour their commitments.

"We were approached by the ECB earlier this week, requesting the Proteas to replace Pakistan should they withdraw from the ODI tournament against England," Gerald Majola, the board's chief executive told reporters. "We have turned down the request on the basis that we are committed to playing against Zimbabwe in the three-match ODI tournament starting next month."
England have also been reported to have approached New Zealand and West Indies asking whether they could fill the gap should the need arise.
But West Indies are due to play their opening match in Malaysia on September 15 - the same day South Africa open their series against Zimbabwe - and are also likely to find themselves struggling to help out.