PDA

View Full Version : DW backs us to qualify for the champions trophy

cricman
August 18, 2006, 09:57 AM
Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore is hoping his team can qualify for the ICC Champions Trophy in India in October.

We have a reasonable chance to do well and qualify in the Champions Trophy and that is our number-one objective now," Whatmore told reporters at Dhaka airport on their return from a tour of Africa on Friday.

Bangladesh beat Kenya 3-0 in a one-day international series last week after losing 3-2 to Zimbabwe.
Bangladesh will play Sri Lanka, West Indies and Zimbabwe in the qualifying phase of the Champions Trophy between October 7 and 15.

"We are in the playoff and we need to put our best foot forward," Whatmore said.
The top two teams will qualify for the main competition from October 15 to November 5.

"We have to beat Zimbabwe, preferably Sri Lanka and West Indies or one of these two and it seems not very unrealistic, though we have to work hard," Whatmore said.

http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=188095&des=article&scat=supercricket/international

Nothing out of the ordinary but I think it's godd for DW to set this target early and for BD to start practicing ASAP. The main reason we lost to Zimbabwe IMO is that we didn't prepare for the series as we should of. Zimbabwe got to play some SA provinces to prepare for us. BD played 1 match vs a Zim XI to get ready.

The three other teams have advantage over us in the fact that they have preperation matches before the event. Zimbabwe even got SA to agree on 2 ODI and 1 20/20. BCB needs to get something done.

I don't need International cricket but going to India early and playing vs some local clubs would go a long way in helping us qualify for the CT.

Tigers_eye
August 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
I don't need International cricket but going to India early and playing vs some local clubs would go a long way in helping us qualify for the CT.

Excellent point and I totally agree. Practice makes a man perfect. In other words, eliminates some of the mistakes we are doing. No alternative for practices.

akabir77
August 18, 2006, 10:16 AM
We need to go to INDIA like a month or two before and practice there with ranji trophy clubs... we need to show them its almost our home ground and we should take the advantage.. oh yes we should pay india in advance or else they will start crying foul...

SS
August 18, 2006, 10:23 AM
typical comment from a coach of a struggling team.
We will have really hard time with Zimb, and no competition with lanka and WI just because of our batsmen and their current forms.
If we want to do good we have to ,have to do good in batting and fielding.
Hope India will allow us play in their Ranjy trophy as they are always one step backward allowing us to improve and never wants to help us.

israr
August 18, 2006, 12:21 PM
We'll qualify

Warlock
August 19, 2006, 12:16 AM
Qualify or not- I want to see a convincing win against Zimbabwe, and no more pathetic batting by the so-called top-order. In other words- time is running out for people like Ashraful.....

Rabz
August 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
i believe we can make it.
crush zim and a win against WI is not out of the prospect.
so good luck.

shaoun
August 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
i think we have good chance to qualify for the champions trophy. but it wont be easy. we need to with atleast 2 out of 3 matches. if guys like ashraful and aftab can comeback in form i think we can qualify.

Tokyobreeze
August 19, 2006, 01:26 AM
I also really want to believe that we will qualify...But, the series loss against Zim and very unconvincing performance in Kenya have shown us the cruel reality.We have to work very very hard on our problem.The best way to rectify errors is application.We do need match practice.But, until now there is no sign that BCCB is thinking the same way we are thinking.Lets hope there will be some match practice and our over-confident top order will regain some sense.We gotta improve our catching too.That's the key to success.

Ahmed_B
August 19, 2006, 03:01 AM
To be fairly honest... I don't like this statement by Dav.

Yes, BD's current set-up is potential enough to qualify. But with the current Batting-form our team is having... It will be tough to make the matches with SL & WI even close. Agree with SS on that.

Bashar's comeback my stable the batting a bit. But all the others starting from the opening pair has to be more responsible. Dav should have mentioned that in his statement indicating the responsibilities of the Batting gang in the tough task... kind of like a warning message to them.

kalpurush
August 19, 2006, 03:16 AM
Well, it will be difficult but not impossible to qualify in the 2nd round. As cricman mentioned we need practice matches to play. If we start from now on, we will have a fair chance to shine in the CT. It's time for our cricket administrators to show some real work by arranging some practice patches in India from early September or so.

thebest
August 19, 2006, 05:58 AM
DW also backed us againest Zimbo. Remember that.
If our batsmen do not click, we would not qualify whether DW backed us or not.

fwullah
August 19, 2006, 06:06 AM
My ONLY concern at this point of time is that we have not performed as per our expectation in a multi-national One Day International tournament in the recent past.

The only two tournaments that we have performed, we performed either beyond our expectation (World Cup 1999) or just meeting our expectations (ICC 1997 trophy, or the last Asia Cup where we managed to beat only Hong Kong, and even that latter one - we were hoping for an upset of beating India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka); so that cuts it down to only two - our only two successes in Cricket ever.

In all the other multi-national One Day International tournaments, we have performed BADLY - those tournaments were so bad for us, that they were also beyond our expectations.

I don't know how Dav Whatmore can comment that we have the possibility to qualify; I'm sure he said this on the heat of the moment, not looking at our past performances and past records.

The major multi-national tournaments that we have participated in so far:

1. Two ICC Champions Trophy - in Kenya, in Sri Lanka
2. Two World Cups - in 1999 and in 2003
3. All Asia Cup tournaments, except the first Asia Cup

fwullah
August 19, 2006, 06:10 AM
I think that there is a big possibility that Zimbabwe could beat either of their first two ODIs vs. SL or WI and we'll be left stranded and frustrated after facing a huge loss to SL in our first game.

From the reality perspective, we could beat Zimbabwe and West Indies, but both of them will not overestimate us, so if we want to win, we have to win performing to our best.

cricket_dorshok
August 19, 2006, 07:16 AM
Well, it will be difficult but not impossible to qualify in the 2nd round.

it will be next to impossible. after such a pathetic display in africa, atleast I can't convince myself that we have any change to qualify. yes, we will beat ZIM and thats all.

As cricman mentioned we need practice matches to play. If we start from now on, we will have a fair chance to shine in the CT. It's time for our cricket administrators to show some real work by arranging some practice patches in India from early September or so.
all our top order batsmen has a habit of throwing their wicket. none of them rectifies their mistake over their whole career. how can someone belive, a few pratcice matches will change them. and our cricket adminstrator! they are much more money maker than taking care of our cricket. all of the adminstrators came to cricket board to make money not for the developement of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akabir77
August 19, 2006, 09:28 AM
I think we will lose all three games... so people don't keep your hopes up. We are still 80/90 with zimbo so they will come on top in every other match and black people are made out of some thing else so they have stronger body and mind then us. since we lack the technic we will lose again to them unless spinner play a big part with aftab, new comers and captain clicks which I dought cause our track in india is very poor.
And I don't how you guys can even dream about beating WI??? Lara as a captain actually enough for us. Think him as a 3x Tikolo. So no chance there sp when they beat india 4-1. Can we ever dream beating any strong country 4-1? we can't even beat zimbos for the series. so I don't know where dav and some of you can feel and think that we can beat them?
Our goal should be may be beat zimbo and make the games close in other two and then may be if ash click.. (but we shouldn't expect or dream about the last thing just close games should be our dreams)

Ahmed_B
August 19, 2006, 12:52 PM
Just reposting the BD match schedule here for convinience:

Fixtures
Preliminaries
October
7 Sri Lanka v Bangladesh Mohali
8 West Indies v Zimbabwe Ahmedabad
10 Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe Ahmedabad
11 West Indies v Bangladesh Jaipur
13 Bangladesh v Zimbabwe Jaipur
14 Sri Lanka v West Indies Mumbai

shovon13
August 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
I think that there is a big possibility that Zimbabwe could beat either of their first two ODIs vs. SL or WI and we'll be left stranded and frustrated after facing a huge loss to SL in our first game.

From the reality perspective, we could beat Zimbabwe and West Indies, but both of them will not overestimate us, so if we want to win, we have to win performing to our best.

i hate agreeing with you. but yes, thats definitely a likely scenario - where we get thumped in our first match against srilanka and loose our morale. srilanka, under the able guidance of mahela, is ripping teams apart in oneday arena.

then again, i take encouragement from the african safari. the results were sub par, but i've never seen a more stable bangladeshi team with such a long bench.

SMHasan
August 19, 2006, 08:56 PM
We must win against the Zombies and we can hope for a win against the West Indies or SriLanka. But to be realistic its unlikely we will win 2 matches in the pre CT. If we contnue to play like we did in the african tour then I dont knw whats gonn ahappen. So lets hope for the best.

bengaltiger
August 19, 2006, 10:08 PM
Akabir is right to the point. if WI beat mighty Ind 4-1, you can only imagine their current strength

thebest
August 20, 2006, 12:23 AM
though I agree with A Kabir, I think there is a glimmer of hope. We would play almost in home condition. While WI is not. With the exception of the big three (Lara, Gayle, Chanderpal), I think none of WI has experiance in playing in India. But it is still 70-30 to WI favor.

Miraz
August 20, 2006, 07:19 AM
Dav Whatmore Speaks about recent Africa tour and some allegations against him with Amardesh reporter

Report - 1 (http://amardesh.u46.futurecrafts.com/sub_section.php?NewsID=50693&NewsType=bistarito)

Report - 2 (http://amardesh.u46.futurecrafts.com/sub_section.php?NewsID=50694&NewsType=bistarito)

Rabz
August 20, 2006, 07:34 AM
Akabir is right to the point. if WI beat mighty Ind 4-1, you can only imagine their current strength

sorry mate..but that 4-1 win means nothing to me.
yes, good on them winning the series against India, but that doesnt mean that they cant or wont loose a single day's of game to us??

Aus almost lost the first test with us right after whitewashing SA 3-0 in thier own soil..

we r not playing any series against these teams. its all one-off games with 3 different sides. i can certainly fancy my luck with it.

and yes, Lara is there?? so??
didnt Australia had Gilly, Hayden, Ponting, Clarke, McGrath and the whole gang when we beat them??

the big names dont scare me. its all about that given day when u r in the middle.

plus i think its time to beat WI. they have to be next on the Tigers menu, wudnt they?:p
After Pakistan,Zimbabwe,India,Australia, Srilanka, we r left with WI SA Eng and NZ

and its WI whose facing us next...so i say..
they r going down :D :D :D

israr
August 20, 2006, 08:31 AM
sorry mate..but that 4-1 win means nothing to me.
yes, good on them winning the series against India, but that doesnt mean that they cant or wont loose a single day's of game to us??

Aus almost lost the first test with us right after whitewashing SA 3-0 in thier own soil..

we r not playing any series against these teams. its all one-off games with 3 different sides. i can certainly fancy my luck with it.

and yes, Lara is there?? so??
didnt Australia had Gilly, Hayden, Ponting, Clarke, McGrath and the whole gang when we beat them??

the big names dont scare me. its all about that given day when u r in the middle.

plus i think its time to beat WI. they have to be next on the Tigers menu, wudnt they?:p
After Pakistan,Zimbabwe,India,Australia, Srilanka, we r left with WI SA Eng and NZ

and its WI whose facing us next...so i say..
they r going down :D :D :D

Yo Sydney, you've made me feel optimistic :up: Well, I want BD to beat SL rather than WI, but since we already have SL on our list, I guess this is the right time to target Lara and co.:E

Ahmed_B
August 20, 2006, 11:20 AM
My ONLY concern at this point of time is that we have not performed as per our expectation in a multi-national One Day International tournament in the recent past.
Agreed.

BD team is quite weak in handling the psychological side of a multinational tournament. I guess they become too concerned about their team-image and perform below par for that reason.

akabir77
August 20, 2006, 11:47 AM
Sydny I hope you r right. Man the way they played in zimbo and the past track record in india and in big trounaments after getting the test status is saying some thing else
BTW Other then Aus and Pak match india, sl had week teams and against australia match that was their first match in england where as bd was playing over a month there so we were ready already for the condition and that's why I think if we want to do good we have to be in indian at least one month.. else no chance with lara or not...

ZunIAD
August 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
Hehehehe good one sydney. I liked how u made the comment about tiger's menu

Sovik
August 21, 2006, 05:54 AM
we have a fair chances against west indies. few of their players never been to sub continent. so we will have the advantage. but they have some very good left handed batsmen who won't have any problems playing our left arm spinners, its our batsmen who have to play very good to win that game for us