PDA

View Full Version : Dave Whatmore may become the Aussie coach!!

fhstar
August 19, 2006, 09:33 PM
I am not surprised a bit ... shows how highly the world regards our coach ... the question is, what BD Cricket bosses are going to do? Are they going to provide more incentives to Whatmore so that he stays back after WC '07 or risk letting him go and take the rein of the Aussies? I guess it also depends what Whatmore wants himself. Is he content with what he has achieved with the BD team or does he feel he has more to contribute to the team's future ... of course, one can argue, why should Whatmore give up the opportunity and w/ that the pride/honor associated with coaching either current or past "world champions". I recall Whatmore was also linked to the post of the Indian cricket team's coach before the BCCI opted for Chappell :)

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/256911.html

bengaltiger
August 19, 2006, 09:40 PM
interesting...

Rabz
August 20, 2006, 12:37 AM
Australia or not, i dont think we can keep Dave after the World Cup.

Zunaid
August 20, 2006, 01:01 AM
Let him go. Whle good, he has taken us as far as we can possibly go. We do not need an avancular coach. What we need is a taskmaster. Bring on McInnes!

Hatebreed
August 20, 2006, 01:05 AM
Hmm, the question is, who's gonna replace him if he decides to leave?

Orpheus
August 20, 2006, 01:10 AM
agree with Zun. We should bring in McInnes.

Rabz
August 20, 2006, 01:30 AM
who knows.. may be we can swap Dave with John Buchanan;)

nasifkhan
August 20, 2006, 02:13 AM
Let him go. Whle good, he has taken us as far as we can possibly go. We do not need an avancular coach. What we need is a taskmaster. Bring on McInnes!

hmm....McInnes would be the best choice.....but will BCB bring him?...

Ahmed_B
August 20, 2006, 02:34 AM
Thing-1: The final Test of Dav's performance will be WC2007. Only after that we can judge his real grades as our coach.
Thing-2: His performance regarding Bangladesh has been noticable ... but not remarkable. So the Aus Cric Board will keep him as an option.. but not a very strong option.
Thing-3: IMO.. hurrying to change our coach after the WC wont do much good. The prob is in our domestic-cricket-system.. not much in our National Team Coach.
Thing-4: With the current format of our game... any high/mid profile coach will gain , at best, the level of success as Dav. Anything further will be quite a miracle.

Warlock
August 20, 2006, 02:37 AM
Just waht I wanted to say. Somehow I never understood what "exactly" was his style of coaching:(. True BD is a stronger team than it used to be before Dav, but isn't it pretty normal? Means we have been playing test cricket for 5/6 years now- shouldn't we show at least this much progress?
Dav also failed to make any improvements about the volatile nature of our batsmen. Look at Ashraful, the so-called most talented batsman of the team, he sleeps for ten matches then wakes up and play a bit in the eleventh one. Is this the kind of batsman or the kind of team we want for the future? Do we really believe with this kind of sporadic performance we can beat teams like Srilanka/ WI in the Champion's trophy?

In the present team I see at least one batsman- Shahriar Nafees, who at least tries to stay at the wicket and score runs by working hard. (I won't discuss his "talents" here, I think already we have too many "talented players" in BD team, no more of them). My point is- players like S. Nafees basically came from the U19 team, so is Shahadat/ Rassel and Razzak, are they not? And looking back and thinking who coached those players, the name comes up- Richard McInnes. Nobody can question his committment about his job, he even took his time to write in this forum to explain a few things to us the fans. In stark contrast- there is Dav Whatmore, the avancular coach- who seems quite distracted and even disinterested about the team once in a while, surely you have noticed it or read it in the paper. Dav is a true professional, he doesn't get too involved and does his job what he deems proper. But now- in this crucial stage of BD cricket, we need a man who will push us harder and give his heart a little bit for the team. And why I am calling this a "crucial stage" is- we are now ahead of teams like Kenya and probably a wee bit ahead of Zimbabwe, new players are emerging and if we can handle these youngsters properly (like McInnes did) we can in time take over WI or NZ and go ahead of them. So thank you Dav, but we need a new coach who can take us to those places.

Tokyobreeze
August 20, 2006, 02:58 AM
We gotta think more about our Domestic Cricket System and the commitment of players more than the coach.The coach definitely plays an important role in deciding the game-plan but it is the players who have the duty to materialize that...So, either Dave stays or someone else comes, the main factor that can change our condition will still be improvement on those areas.

Miraz
August 20, 2006, 05:40 AM
Dav Whatmore is the man behind our recent success and we need to keep him as long as possible.

Let's have a look..

Before Dav we played 67 ODI's and won only 3 of them (4.4% matches). 2 of which was in world cup 1999 and another one was against Kenya.
With Dav Whatmore as our coach we played 66 Matches and have won 17 of them (25.75% matches). Isn't it a remarkable progress?? With days to come I believe the percentage will even increase.

We need him for at least 2 more years.

oporajeyo_bangla
August 20, 2006, 05:54 AM
I think we should keep Dav. In the cricinfo article, it's mentioned that he is NOT the front-runner. What makes you think McInnes will come and coach Bangladesh for sure if we get rid of Dav after the WC?

thebest
August 20, 2006, 07:04 AM

Can not agree more. Bring back McInnes. These kids need some tough guy, not a gentle person like DW.

Miraz
August 20, 2006, 07:11 AM
Can not agree more. Bring back McInnes. These kids need some tough guy, not a gentle person like DW.

McInnes is more an IT person than a coach, his current job is to coordinate the team's video analysis and computer software operations for Australia team. He can be a valuable addition as a member of Coaching staffs. I don't think he should be the coach of a test playing nation.

And he is very young (only 32 years), it will be difficult for him to handle senior players.

israr
August 20, 2006, 07:30 AM
Dave Whatmore should stay with us until we're the WC Champs in 2011!!

TheWatcher
August 20, 2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks Warlock for pointing out an obvious fact- Bangladesh cricket's progress in the last two years has lot more to do with Richard McInnes and his HP unit than to do with DW.

Anyway, I think Whatmore's chance being the next Australian team coach is nothing but media speculation. I can't think of any reason why a highly professional team like Australia should need a motivational speaker to guide it.

gatekeeper
August 20, 2006, 09:49 AM

Right on. Due respect to whatmore but I think someone like McInnes would be better for BD.

marif
August 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
i think we should keep up Dave Whatemore.coz we got our success under his supervision.isn't it? at least till 2007 WC.what do u think?

Mr-Cricket
August 20, 2006, 11:48 AM
India didn't sign him.

I highly doubt Australia will either.

ialbd
August 20, 2006, 12:14 PM
he is gonna be our coach for the upcoming worldcup.Dont know if he'll stay with us after that. If BD does sth miraculous (like defeating India) he'll get an extension with a good raise but he might just add that to his resume and try for Aussie or somewhere else. And if (Allah forbids) BD repeats the last WC, he'll be shown the door right away. So for any of the cases, Dav might leave BD after the WC. BCB shud start lookin for his replacement.
________
Starcraft Ii Replays (http://screplays.com/replays)

layperson
August 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
As Miraz bhai rightly pointed out he has made a remarkable change in our win percentage. I think we should keep him as long as he wants to stay or if he never wants maximum till the 2011 world cup. I feel he has a lot to give to the team but then again working day in and day out with the same group may become monotonous and make him less productive in terms of results. So I would have to say keep him for 2 more years max and then give him a heroic farewell. He deserves it more than any other coach of Bangladesh.

cricket_pagol
August 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
I agree that mcinnes will be a good coach for us, but if Dav leaves some other random guy might be the next coach. We don't know if he will be good for the team... I don't trust BCCB officials too much!!!

I think we need whatmore for the time being.

jabbar
August 20, 2006, 08:25 PM
good point. BCCB better not stuff it up. If they do let Dav go, they need to get someone who is just as experienced. I think McInness should try out a few other teams first before returning to BD. He is too young, and the senior players might not take to a young coach telling them what to do (especially considering the Bangaldeshi
custom of elders having more rights etc.).

In any case, an Aussie coach would be ideal. Aussies tend to be hard workers and have a simple, straight-forward attitude that seems to be going well with BD players (ie. McInness and Dav).

bapzmania
August 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
it doesn't metta whoz our coach we need a battin coach badly........pls bring Javed miandad...it will be easy for all the players to communicate with him.....i hope he can solve our this battin disease

Alien
August 21, 2006, 01:58 AM
Whatmore is better off coaching Australia than our hopeless team.

He is wasting his time with BD team. Apart from a few wins here and there. We have produced nothing spectacular which Sri Lanka did when they had Whatmore as coach.

sadi
August 21, 2006, 08:51 AM
Eventhough we won more games under Dav, we have to remember something... Atleast 12 of these wins came against Kenya and Zimbabwe... so number can be misleading sometimes... I am not saying Dav is not a good coach but after a while its better to change a coach as coach can only offer a certain thing... obviously its not working for Ash or Aftab... they need someone like McInnes... why? They are like a high school student and need a teacher with a danda... not a professor like Dav (I read it something in BC which totally make sense)

Tigers_eye
August 21, 2006, 08:57 AM
It all depends what Mr. Whatmore wants. Its like LOVE. You must let it go. If it returns then it is yours to keep. What ever he wants should be the #1 criteria. Obviously he will be paid handsomely if Aussies do get him. Will be closer to his family. Media speculation can sometimes come true.

Waugh!! Steve that is. After the WC. :)

Miraz
August 21, 2006, 08:59 AM
Eventhough we won more games under Dav, we have to remember something... Atleast 12 of these wins came against Kenya and Zimbabwe... so number can be misleading sometimes... I am not saying Dav is not a good coach but after a while its better to change a coach as coach can only offer a certain thing... obviously its not working for Ash or Aftab... they need someone like McInnes... why? They are like a high school student and need a teacher with a danda... not a professor like Dav (I read it something in BC which totally make sense)

Sadi bhai, before Dav we were losing to Kenya and Zimbabwe regularly and 2 of the 3 wins of pre Dav era were against Kenya and Scotland :)

TheWatcher
August 21, 2006, 09:59 AM
Sadi bhai, before Dav we were losing to Kenya and Zimbabwe regularly and 2 of the 3 wins of pre Dav era were against Kenya and Scotland :)
Miraz bhai, again misleading info- there is a huge difference between that Kenya and this Kenya, or that Zimbabwe and this Zimbabwe. About Scotland, if we happen to play them again on their own backyard in early English summer, we are still not sure what is our chance of winning against them.