PDA

View Full Version : Old can be gold too

AsifTheManRahman
August 22, 2006, 11:25 AM
A lot has been said on the forums about how we should inject fresh blood into the side in order to avoid failures like the ones we've had in the African tour. However, talent need not be in its early twenties/late teens; and here's why: ekhane chaap maren (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/256399.html)

When I first read the title, it attracted my attention because the age groups in Australia are crap, and I was of the impression that they were looking to train the young ones up in order to be able to fill in the shoes of the likes of mcgrath/gillespie when these guys retire. however, as i read through the article, i discovered that that was far from what they were thinking; in fact, most of the players that they're grooming are in their late twenties. this goes to show that the Cricket Australia values a level head, blood that has cooled down and experience.

Since we run the risk of destroying careers by introducing U-19's into the squad (being a young side already), why not groom some of the buiras as well? I'm not sure if the HP's open for oldies, but last time i checked, most of them were in their early twenties. The way Bangladesh cricket is being handled right now, it looks like the door to the national team is closed - if not locked - for you once you cross 25 and haven't made your debut yet.

However, training up the old lads will do nothing but good to our cricket; and here's why:

1. we will have a larger reserve of players likely to make it to the national team, and therefore greater competition. let's face it - the likes of mushfiq and mehrab are yet to pose any serious threat to the national-teamers solely due to age. however, if someone of taposh's calibre is properly trained, he might turn out to be a source of huge competition among the players to hold on to their places in the team.

2. let's say players like shanto and mehrab snr never end up being good enough to make a comeback (which they never will be - a comfortable conclusion). in that case, they will help our cricket by contributing in making the domestic league stronger.

points to ponder, at least imo, and i would really like to see us following the australians in this matter.

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2006, 12:01 PM
Great point on the 25+ have no window of opportunity. They need to be trained and trained hard if for nothing else just to make our domestic league more competitive. Thus these new boys would have a standard to test their skills. Every two year we will have a crop of under 19 coming up. Not all are going to play in the national team. But they need to at least have a chance to have a shot at their spot.

If old wasn't gold at times, then we wouldn't need "history" as a subject.

Ahmed_B
August 22, 2006, 12:28 PM
ssshhhhhh!
ATMR... apnar ghar e koita matha? :)
'New fresh blood' craze is running high in BC forum at the moment... ei somoy ei rokom thread open korlen?

On serious note... it is quite impractical as well as unusual that we BD fans tend to take our junior players to be the best choice for National side representation. Currently the average age of our team is around 22-23.. which is itself an exception. And the way we demand our National team to be replaced by the U-19 squad... it would turn out to be a team of average age-20. Few days back I also wrote some of my thoughts in a thread (Bermuda Triangle) about our high expectations from the younger players and my opinion on why we should keep our expectations low about the ultimate return from the newcomers.

However... it is also true that our mid & late-20's players are failing us very much. That surely is a sign of BD's failure to groom players after they cross 20. It is probably an insane speculation that our gang of early-20 players will develop by themselves and conquer the world against all the well-trained big guys of other nations. Trying to find solutions (Both by fans and selectors) in injection of fresh blood alone is like trying to find temporary solutions to a cancer. Like... because your blood cells are dying, lets replace them with new blood.. rather than going for the painstaking task of curing the cancer itself.

This is surely a bad sign for our cricket.

akabir77
August 22, 2006, 12:29 PM
Agree. The question is whether our BCB agrees or not. can anyone tell them???

Ahmed_B
August 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
However, training up the old lads will do nothing but good to our cricket; and here's why:

1. we will have a larger reserve of players likely to make it to the national team, and therefore greater competition. let's face it - the likes of mushfiq and mehrab are yet to pose any serious threat to the national-teamers solely due to age. however, if someone of taposh's calibre is properly trained, he might turn out to be a source of huge competition among the players to hold on to their places in the team.

2. let's say players like shanto and mehrab snr never end up being good enough to make a comeback (which they never will be - a comfortable conclusion). in that case, they will help our cricket by contributing in making the domestic league stronger.

points to ponder, at least imo, and i would really like to see us following the australians in this matter.
Adding to it:

3. Someday our Aftab-Ash-S.Nafees-Farhad-Sakib-Mushfiq and every other newcomer will be around 25 too.. and when they face troubles regarding their form/output... will we look for trashing them and injecting 'fresh blood' again? Will they face the same fate as Alok/Taposh/Hannan/Shahriar who also had potentials but had no opportunity to improve themselves and return with higher skills? We surely need some high quality training structure for the post-U-19 or HP squad Levels.

sadi
August 22, 2006, 01:16 PM
Lets look at it this way:

1. For last few years, our selectors has given chances to everyone who has somewhat potential.
2. When they gave these players a chance in the national team, these players weren't ready and obviously failed.
3. It created a bad impression about them to the selectors and fans.
4. Now even if they perform, we are not willing to give them a second chance again.
5. Since, our currents players are not doing well, we are going back to give some more young players a chance hoping they perform.
6. Thus, the cycle starts again.

If we had some good 25+ players now who still hasn't made it to the national team, our fans and selectors would go ahead and give them a chance. But since most of them are already tested when they weren't ready, I guess they are unfortunately to lose out.

We need to be patient and give these young players time to get ready for the big stage. We are actually doing more harm to the new players by giving them a chance and then throwing them out. Thats how players like Hannan, Rana, Nazmul missed out and we should do something to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Tigers_eye
August 22, 2006, 01:21 PM
Rana's exclusion baffles me. I guess he has no string to pull. Nazmul well he has competition and very young. Hope he will make the competition more interesting.

sadi
August 22, 2006, 01:26 PM
Well its not about Rana or Nazmul, they are just some of the examples but I guess we have to question the process. Are we giving them too much exposure too early? What should we do when our team is not doing well? I mean what option do we have other than giving some new under-19 national cap?

TheWatcher
August 22, 2006, 02:02 PM
in fact, most of the players that they're grooming are in their late twenties. this goes to show that the Cricket Australia values a level head, blood that has cooled down and experience.
Wondering how you came to this conclusion ATMR ! 10 of the 15 players picked for the elite academy team are below 24 years of age. They have picked 19 years old Aaron Finch (who has not yet played an FC match) as well as 29 years old Brett Dorey (who is a national team discard)- age or experience does not seem to be a selection criterion here at all.

Here is the full list of players in the CBCE elite team-

Cullen Bailey
George Bailey
Doug Bollinger
Beau Casson
Adam Crosthwaite
Daniel Doran
Brett Dorey
Ben Edmondson
Callum Ferguson
Aaron Finch
Ben Hilfenhaus
Shaun Marsh
Tim Paine
Peter Siddle
Adam Voges

-Cricket Australia (http://www.cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=cbcediary2006)

Mind you this group is not created only for some residential training, Cricket Australia has established international tournaments and tours to give them maximum exposure before they even considered for national team selection. Incase of our own HP/academy team, BCCB hardly finds them a tour here and there. I don't see why we should waste those few opportunities on some bhuiras who are either faulty in their techniques or in attitudes.

Also, mind you that players in our current academy team are picked not only based on their performences in age group competition, but also because of their performences in the domestic circuit where they exceled far better than so many of those bhuiras.

betaar
August 22, 2006, 02:21 PM
I think the major problem we have in BD is that there are no real talented 25+ age group available. Meaning the old generation of cricket players that existed in BD all had fake age. They were all too old when you look at their real age and our board was aware of it. So they did not want to waste any money on them.
Now that the influx of new generation (with real age) of talented players came in we have a huge gap in cricketing generation. Now all we have are players from "too young to apply their technique or skills in real life" generation or "too old to learn and change their old bad technique" generation. What a mess!!!

AsifTheManRahman
August 23, 2006, 12:29 PM
Wondering how you came to this conclusion ATMR !
yes, i realized that drawing a conclusion based on that article was probably not a good idea, and tried to search for the entire list of players, but couldn't find any. however, the fact remains that a third of those players are over 24, and they can still dream of making it to the top.

i also agree that the young players have done relatively better and are chosen on merit, however, i think it'll be great if the discarded buiras are trained along with them too. we don't necessarily have to "waste" spaces by sending the useless ones on the very few tours that the board can get; all i am saying is that maybe we can have more extensive training programs where players of all ages will be able to improve their skills. that way, we won't have to worry about ash/aftab/sakib turning into hannan/al-shahriar/etc when they cross 25 and have a small lapse in form. the very reason that our biuras are no good is that they are not looked after/don't get enough opportunities when they get kicked out of the national team.

besides, i don't see any harm in attempting to improve the quality of our domestic players. i am not advocating the replacement of young talents with useless buras, but rather proposing a way to improve our overall reserve, so that even our national players can face some tough competition at home during off seasons.

Fazal
August 23, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yes Old is gold....bring all the oldies as many as you can even this guy...
http://static.flickr.com/67/220186648_11d713cefc.jpg

He looks too old? Don't worry... a birth Certificate can be produced that shows he just reached his 25th Birthday this Summer.

PoorFan
August 24, 2006, 01:21 AM
Asif, I think you got a valid point. We need some coaching program in between HP and National team. In fact we do have A team, perhaps we can keep them more active in more coaching programs and matches. If we have 'batting & bowling' coach for national team then these coach might train them ( A team ) in off series time. There could be so many other way only if our board address the problem correctly and intend to work on it.

Btw, where you have been these days? lots of 'new cheese' showed up recently and you weren't there to take care!

AsifTheManRahman
August 24, 2006, 11:00 AM
hehe...badly hurt (:p) by the zimbabwe loss, and then been a bit busy, but am less swamped now.