PDA

View Full Version : Is Brian Lara the best choice of W Indies?

Mohammadasif
August 23, 2006, 07:06 AM
As West Indies is hoping to win the cricket world cup in 2007 after 28 years, the appointment of Brian Charles Lara as the captain of the West Indian team has come under great scrutiny.
But I strongly feel that the appointment of Brian Lara as the captain of the team is the best option for the host team. It is also extremely important that Brian Charles Lara leads from the front. If the West Indies has to win the world cup then it is essential that Lara contributes with the bat as well as motivate the players to play as a unit for their nation. If they play as a team and work on their weaknesses then they stand a very good chance to gift their country the Cricket World Cup. What is your view? Is Lara the best choice of West Indies? If not, then who is the best? You can read an analytical article who has tried to analyze the capabilities of some of the players on the team here >> (http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=123357&catID=5&category=Sports&rtFlg=rtFlg)

Tigers_eye
August 23, 2006, 08:11 AM
What are the alternatives?
Sarwan? Nope.
Chandurpaul? He declined.
Anyone else? You must be joking.
The only logical and correct choice after winning against Ind 4-1.

Now for winning the cup. They have may be a little better chance than England. That puts them behind Aus, SA, SL, NZ, Pak, Ind. 7th at best. I can't foresee them as a WC champ. At least not in this World cup with these players.
Wait and see if they can qualify for the Champions Trophy.

cricman
August 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
When Lara is Captain is batting dips, But when he's captain the West Indies Win! and thats the most important thing. Remember the WI won the Champions Trophy in 2004 when Lara was Captain.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/OD_TOURNEYS/ICCCT/SCORECARDS/KNOCKOUTS/ENG_WI_ICCCT_ODI-FINAL_25SEP2004.html

israr
August 23, 2006, 11:58 AM
People who are underestimating WI too much, they'll be in for a major shock during the WC

Carte Blanche
August 23, 2006, 12:19 PM
I don't think it'll matter much anyway. As much as I'd like to see Lara leave with a heroic last world cup, WI simply won't have enough fire in the belly to cause a major upset despite having home ground advantages and all. So... the people who are quietly overestimating WI, they'll be in for a major shock during the WC ;)

Bancan
August 23, 2006, 12:56 PM
i think windies will be like france in the upcomin world cup

Tigers_eye
August 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
i think windies will be like france in the upcomin world cup
I wish they can be like italy and win it all, but that would be a wishful thinking. If Bd somehow shows them the door in the champions trophy, you know what type of drama will go on over there.

Bancan
August 23, 2006, 01:13 PM
but i m still hoping that they will perform. i think i m gonna be sad when lara retires.

Edit: changed cry to sad. it doesnt sound right:D

Sovik
August 23, 2006, 02:14 PM
but i m still hoping that they will perform. i think i m gonna cry when lara retires.

i won't cry but will be very sad

AsifTheManRahman
August 23, 2006, 02:56 PM
but i m still hoping that they will perform. i think i m gonna cry when lara retires.

just randomly curious: aren't you the guy that admitted in crying into his pillows after france lost the world cup finals?

Bancan
August 23, 2006, 03:57 PM
just randomly curious: aren't you the guy that admitted in crying into his pillows after france lost the world cup finals?
i dunt remember sayin i cried in my pillows and i didnt cry cause france lost. but i did cry.i was hoping to forget abt my family troubles but all together it got worse.

hey i m sensitive so .....

israr
August 23, 2006, 04:15 PM
I guess everyone forgot their series win against India, and their miraculous victory in Champions Trophy 2004, where they prooved that they can bounce back anytime even after struggling through a difficult phase.

Andy-Flower
August 28, 2006, 01:57 AM
Lara is the best choice at the moment no doubt and of course he has to contribute with the bat aswell. West Indies are taking this tourney seriously and recently they held a 20/20 tournament which was very exciting..i watched almost all the matches and i think they are a good side. I wouldnt put them in number 7 like Tigers_eye said because their recent perfomance against India proved they are quite a good side especially given the fact that they were having soem internal problems. They do have home advantage and the players are not all that bad. I would put them at number 4 after Aus, S.A and SriL