PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to Darrel Hair Saga: $500,000 to quit umpiring

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 10:07 AM
Interesting addition. Hmm.. now it makes some sense.
Darrell Hair offered to resign as an umpire in exchange for a payment of $500,000, the International Cricket Council has revealed.

More from BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/5286690.stm)

Now I understand Ranatunga's comment that Hair does everything on a commercial purpose :)

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 10:41 AM
Interesting quote from the report, Malcom Speed is not assuring Hair and everything might not go Hair's way.

"Darrell Hair has been in a difficult position since Sunday and as a result of this disclosure that position has been made more difficult,"

"I have said to him that he is not sacked, he is not suspended, and he has not been charged.
"I also said to him that I didn't guarantee that each of those three positions would be maintained indefinitely."<!-- E BO -->

cricman
August 25, 2006, 10:43 AM
He should get his ___ FIRED and get paid nothing! Umpires get $500,000/4rs to raise an index finger? If so i want in on the profession.

Sovik
August 25, 2006, 10:52 AM
he should be fired and fined. why should he get compensation. its the pakistan team should get compensations

Hatebreed
August 25, 2006, 10:52 AM
This is BS - still doesn't solve the real issue - whether or not he has proof that Pakistan had cheated. ICC is a [edited], how can they offer such amount of money to this man after all this controversy?

AsifTheManRahman
August 25, 2006, 10:55 AM
thik bujhlam na. 500,000 dile chakri chere dibe? keu ektu bati felan to...chakrio charbe abar poyshao chaibe...beparta bodhgommo holo na

sadi
August 25, 2006, 10:55 AM
I guess they are not offering... hair is asking for the moeny... this is ridiculous... I mean I have never heard an umpire do that... asking $500,000 to retire?? Come on... I guess ICC was kinda sympathetic to him but after the letter maybe they will change their mind

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 10:56 AM
This is BS - still doesn't solve the real issue - whether or not he has proof that Pakistan had cheated. ICC is a [], how can they offer such amount of money to this man after all this controversy?
HB, ICC hasn't yet offered anything, this is the offer made by Hair to ICC.

cricman
August 25, 2006, 10:57 AM
This is BS - still doesn't solve the real issue - whether or not he has proof that Pakistan had cheated. ICC is a [], how can they offer such amount of money to this man after all this controversy?
It's the other way around, He told the ICC that if they give him 500,000 that he'd quit

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 10:58 AM
I guess they are not offering... hair is asking for the moeny... this is ridiculous... I mean I have never heard an umpire do that... asking $500,000 to retire?? Come on... I guess ICC was kinda sympathetic to him but after the letter maybe they will change their mind

Mos probably. Speed's comment represent something different from their previous stand.

AsifTheManRahman
August 25, 2006, 10:58 AM
I guess they are not offering... hair is asking for the moeny...

exactly. i guess people on this thread are not reading the article before posting, or misunderstanding the contents. icc didn't offer him anything - he is the one sending emails to the icc asking for money. that is why i'm so confused. lokta pagol howe gelo naki?

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 11:22 AM
Here is the full transcript of Darrel Hair's letter

Transcript of Darrell Hair's email
August 25, 2006
From Darrell Hair
Sent Tuesday 22nd August 2006
To Doug Cowie
Subject The way forward
Doug,
Just to firm up what we discussed earlier this evening. I appreciate the ICC may be put in a untenable position with regards to future appointments and having taken considerable time and advice, I make this one-off, non-negotiable offer.
I am prepared to retire/stand down/relinquish my position on the elite panel to take effect from 31st August 2006 on the following terms:
1 A one-off payment to compensate the loss of future earnings and retain a payment over the next four years which I believe would have been the best years I have to offer ICC and world umpiring. This payment is be the sum of [US dollars] 500,000 - details of which must be kept confidential by both parties. This sum to be paid directly into my account by 31st August 2006.
2 ICC may announce the retirement in any way they wish, but I would prefer a simple 'lifestyle choice' as this was the very reason I moved from Australia to settle in the UK three years ago.
3 No public comment to be made by me as to possible reasons for the decision.
4 This offer in no way precludes me taking legal action and/or instigating libel suits against various sections of the electronic and print media for comments made either previously or in the future.
5 This in no way precludes me taking civil action (and exercising my rights as a resident of the UK in any court of law and by any other avenue open to me) against any organisation or persons currently part of ICC and in particular, members of the Pakistan cricket team and the Pakistan Cricket Board.
I reiterate this is a once only offer and if I fail to obtain your agreement I shall continue to be available under the terms of my current contract till March 31 2008 to fulfil umpiring appointments as and when ICC sees fit in any country at any time in any series or matches involving any affiliated teams.
I would also insist that my ongoing contracted employment continue in its current form until such time as an ICC performance assessment deems me to be no longer able to perform the duties to the high class expected of an international umpire.
Would you please let me know at your earliest convenience of your acceptance or otherwise of this offer.
Sincerely,
Darrell Hair

cricket_pagol
August 25, 2006, 11:30 AM
The actual letter starts like this " Just to firm up what we discussed earlier this evening"... i think he had a similar discussion with ICC reps and asked for some kinda compensation if he retires. And, then the ICC people asked him to put it down in writing. Now, this gives icc new ammo to reduce his role. Since, ICC backed all of Hair's action until now, they could not take any action against him.

-my conspiracy theory!

sadi
August 25, 2006, 11:41 AM
It just doesn't sound right.

Tigers_eye
August 25, 2006, 11:48 AM
He is a lawyer no doubt. Now he is threatening the ICC. lol.

ja aro pa chat. ICC deserves threat like this. All remains for Pakistan to file a lawsuit against Hair and ICC for penalizing without evidence and "maanhani" case.

Carte Blanche
August 25, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hair just lost my Sympathy.

Miraz
August 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hair just lost my Sympathy.

And when he will lose your Avatar status?;)

cricman
August 25, 2006, 12:35 PM
And when he will lose your Avatar ststus?;)

I miss Cartman

Carte Blanche
August 25, 2006, 12:38 PM
Miraz and cricman: dawat roilo... come over and we'll watch Reservoir Dogs and may be some SP eppies. I also have an extensive collection of Cricket matches in which Hair officiated.

Hatebreed
August 25, 2006, 12:40 PM
This payment is be the sum of [US dollars] 500,000 - details of which must be kept confidential by both parties.

Not so confidential now is it? How much does he earn anyway?

Will ICC even they deal with the allegations raised against him?

Carte Blanche
August 25, 2006, 12:48 PM
He meant the terms of the payment.

reverse_swing
August 25, 2006, 01:20 PM
Reaction to Hair revelations
'It's hard to see how Darrell Hair can umpire again'
Cricinfo staff
August 25, 2006
<!--table width=170 align="right" border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0> <tr><td width=10> http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
</td> <td class="photo"> http://www.banglacricket.com/inline/content/current/image/163688.jpg?alt=
<table border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=2> <tr> <td class="photo"> Malcolm Speed: explosive developments <nobr>&copy; AFP</nobr>
</td></tr></table> </td></tr></table--> Reaction to the revelations that Darrell Hair offered to resign (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/257781.html) as an elite umpire has brought a swathe of reaction. Here is a selection
"I am dumbfounded. I cannot believe what has transpired but I guess he realises the consequences now."
A Pakistan camp insider
"It's hard to see how Darrell Hair can umpire at any future international match. They have made his position untenable now. To imagine he can umpire down the line in international matches is hard to see. It seems extraordinary when you consider that Inzamam-ul-Haq has been charged on two counts - one of ball-tampering, for which nobody can find any evidence, and secondly for bringing the game into disrepute on the back of the first charge. So poor old Inzy finds himself under two charges, but Darrell Hair, after these extraordinary letters, finds himself under no charge whatsoever "
Former England captain and Sky Sports commentator Mike Atherton
"Darrell Hair was probably advised to do what he has done. He was under a huge amount of pressure. It didn't help when he had the Pakistan team saying they wouldn't have Darrell Hair as an umpire again and Bangladesh following suit. It's not the sort of thing you need."
Former England captain Mike Gatting
"It will be very hard for Darrell Hair to umpire at not just international level but also first-class level."
Former England batsman Allan Lamb
"He does what he thinks is right regardless of the consequences. My immediate reaction was 'typical Darrell'."
ICC general manager cricket Dave Richardson
"I am absolutely shocked and stunned to hear what is happening and it all takes some believing. There have been controversies going back through the history of cricket and the closest would be 'Bodyline' in 1933 - but never anything like this. It is a very, very sad time for cricket and there is no doubt our great game has been badly hurt. But as in the past, I am sure it will eventually get over it. It was Darrell's decision to do what he did and it has undoubtedly created problems for him.
"The hierarchy must make the decision in due course but with that sort of money involved things are looking bad for him. It is looking like the charges are going to be dropped. It is looking in favour of Pakistan now and it is my regret that it ever came to this in the first place. "Everybody should have used a little bit of common sense, tried to finish the Test match then thrashed it out behind closed doors."
Dickie Bird, the former Test umpire
"This is between ICC and Darrell Hair. It doesn't concern us. Our biggest issue is that we want to play in front of British crowds and we decided that at 9.30 this morning. He [Hair] backed out of what he said to the ICC, the offer. He says one thing and then another. What he is thinking and how it will affect us I do not know."
Pakistan team manager, Zaheer Abbas
© Cricinfo

reverse_swing
August 25, 2006, 01:25 PM
original copy of his email exchanges (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/image/257813.html)

Hatebreed
August 25, 2006, 01:42 PM
It's becoming so clear, Hair wanted to go out with a bang + a large sum of money to enjoy the rest of his life. If that's not good enough reason for to ICC take the right action, the reputation of this "gentlemen's" game and ICC itself will be down the drains.

Ahmed_B
August 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Why don't we pay him in Zimbabwe Dollers? ;)

mhferdaus
August 25, 2006, 02:31 PM
mukhosh dhari khulse mukhosh ... ekhon ki natok hobe fush :D.

nasifkhan
August 25, 2006, 02:58 PM
Why don't we pay him in Zimbabwe Dollers? ;)

yeah ...it should be exactly......125,005,000.00 ZWN DOLLARS

Ahmed_B
August 25, 2006, 03:05 PM
yeah ...it should be exactly......125,005,000.00 ZWN DOLLARS

I actually meant 500,000 ZIM $=1,38,390 BDT :lol:
Not a very bad ammount :P

cricman
August 25, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'd liek to see Stevie Waugh call him the bravest man in the world, he's more like the dumbest person in the world

Bancan
August 25, 2006, 06:07 PM
ai beta manusher shob respect harailo. how on earth can u ask for half a million dollars. somewhere in that letter he said, in the upcoming years i could hav given a lot more great umpiring to cricket or sumthing like that. ya rite, i think he wanted screw bangladesh and india too.

SMHasan
August 25, 2006, 09:55 PM
As things stand up to now-
1>Hair asked for the money to the ICC. But why asking money to them? May be he has done something wrong and now to save ICC and himself he is asking for the money and go away form the game forever. Otherwise why he will ask for the money? It was going to be a secret deal and Hair wanted it that way although ICC chief executive revealed everything to the media.
2> It is reported that england coach Fletcher went to the match refree room during the lastest test match against Pakistan. So why that secret visit? Did he discuss anything to make a false charge against Pakistan?
3> Now Hair is asking for money, does not it prove that he tried to do something wrong and now to escape form the scenario he wants to leave?
4>His email was not official something for sure thats why ICC revealed it to public. but the language of the emails those were exchanged, says that in the begining ICC officials replied positively. But why? Was there something else going on in the background?

I don't get those to be honest. But all of the above incidents seem to be happening for just one reason and for just one plan.

SMHasan
August 25, 2006, 10:07 PM
Speed added: "He was seeking to find a solution that was in the interests of the game."

hmm...what interest? Why Mr Hair understands the interest of the game all on a suddn?
Now i understand what's going on. I am sure he was involved in some illegal actions in the field.All those ball tempering issue was staged.

Sovik
August 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
ICC got a way out

ialbd
August 25, 2006, 10:41 PM
hair wanted to keep this confidential and ICC dhol pitay shobai ke janailo. I am sure hair didnt anticipate that at all. But why is ICC defending Hair now after letting the cat out of the bag?
________
FORD DO BRASIL (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_do_Brasil)

cricman
August 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
hair wanted to keep this confidential and ICC dhol pitay shobai ke janailo. I am sure hair didnt anticipate that at all. But why is ICC defending Hair now after letting the cat out of the bag?

Cause the ICC doesn't want any legal action towards them by Mr. hair. From reading the letters PCB /Inzy should get ready to be sued and Mr.Speed better hire an attorney ASAP. Since Hair in all likelyhood never umpire again and not get paid after this fiasco he's going to take some legal action to squeeze some money from the ICC and the PCB.

What a character this Hair guy he wanted his money privately deposited just like in the movies and he wanted the ICC to lie about his resignantion etc.

bengaltiger
August 25, 2006, 11:48 PM
he has a contract until 2008! i mean that's legally binding isn't it? it would be really funny to watch him umpire a match after all this!!! rotfl

i don't think he has any other choice but to volunatarily resign now unless he wants ICC to assign him to a tour in pakistan (or any other asian coutnry for that matter) with thousands of angry paki fans watching!!! LOL this is just too funny.

Frost
August 25, 2006, 11:53 PM
Hair-er shob chul (hair) kete mathai ghol dhele golai juta jhuliye Colombo, Karachi, ar Dhaka rastai ghorano uchit:)

nasifkhan
August 26, 2006, 01:42 AM
I actually meant 500,000 ZIM $=1,38,390 BDT :lol:
Not a very bad ammount :P

ow.....eta agay bolben na? :)

nasifkhan
August 26, 2006, 01:52 AM
this hair ke bangali treatment deya dorkar.....betar BHURI phoooota kore deyar dorkar...beta fazil er fazil....

mzia
August 26, 2006, 03:14 AM
Ball found tempered, and immediately ball changed and 5 runs to opponent. Without showing any other evidence, asking, discussion and what not. And subsequent result match postponed.

Well look at the other part of the globe.
<O:p</O:p
It was playing the 4<SUP>th</SUP> day, 2<SUP>nd</SUP> session. England was playing 2<SUP>nd</SUP> innings and trail by 33 runs of 1<SUP>st</SUP> innings of Pakistan. Only 4 and a half session were left for the match.
Nobody would go for any bet for England’s win at this stage. And England won. Major upset in the history of cricket betting.
And now hair is asking for US $ 500,000!!
Who is fool?

Hatebreed
August 26, 2006, 12:31 PM
Pakistan is considering this a sort of 'ethical' or 'moral' victory because no one has proved with evidence that they had cheated.

If ICC is not gonna fire Hair, not even consider the slightest possibility of his ill involvement, why don't they just keep him in the bench? It's better to just not let him officiate any match until his contract runs out than pay him $500,000 upfront without taking any action.

Carte Blanche
August 26, 2006, 01:08 PM
Some very interesting articles including one by our beloved G Boycott:

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/surfer/archives/2006/08/emails_cast_hai.php

kalpurush
August 26, 2006, 09:37 PM
Carte Blanche: How about 1, 000, 000 $ Zim to retire as a M;) d?

thebest
August 27, 2006, 12:01 AM
In some of the sites I saw that Hair's demand is justified considering lost income.

Let consider Company X provide Mr A for some works for Company Y. But due to Mr A's fault Company Y lost some money. In normal course of action X would compensate Y. and through internal process X would repermind, even sack Mr A due to the financial and lose of good will of Company X. In no way, X would provide Mr A the money which he would earn during his contract period for his sacking as the lose incurred by Y was X's fault. Use the same principle in the ongoing saga assuming that ball temparing verdict goes in favor of Pakistan (on the published evidence which is likely,the root of problem).

Clients : ECB and PCB
Provider : ICC

PCB lost a test match because they think that ICC supplied worker made a grave error of judgement. ECB lost around 100000 $ because ICC supplied worker's ego. If it was a business ICC have to refund the money to ECB and also compensate PCB due to mistake of appointee. So ICC has his within its right to sack Mr Hair without any compensation.
CB I read the accusition by Mr Jerman. It is laughable to me first, on the second thought I think he should be sued. The reason.
1. If SA tempered the ball, he did not fine SA. So some injustice is done to the opposition as a match referry he should have been impartial. I think the opposition was a team of sub continet so he was biased.
2. Did he reported it in his match report? If yes, why he did not raise question when ICC did nothing, if he did not why he did not, because was it SA a white country.
3. Why he kept the ball?

battye
August 27, 2006, 04:49 AM
Carte Blanche: How about 1, 000, 000 $ Zim to retire as a M;) d?

Zimbabwe revalued their currency, $1,000,000 ZWD is now equal to about $4,000 USD ;)

Miraz
August 27, 2006, 07:48 AM
Whatever happens it is unlikely that Hair, 53, will stand in another international match. His relationships with Pakistan and Sri Lanka were already shot, and now he has shot himself in the foot.

Editorial from The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/news/editorial/umpires-integrity-tainted-by-hush-money-request/2006/08/26/1156012785910.html), Australia
</BOD>

Sovik
August 27, 2006, 08:15 AM
Speed admits Hair's career could be over

Malcolm Speed, the ICC chief executive, believes that Darrell Hair's Test career could be over after the controversy of the past week. Hair offered to quit top-level cricket in return for $500,000 after the ball-tampering furore which lead to Pakistan forfeiting their final Test against England. Throughout the week Speed has been quick to establish that the ICC were not ending Hair's career or cutting him adrift from the game. However, he has admitted he doesn't know whether Hair could shake off this latest controversy.

Full Story (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/257923.html)

Rabz
August 27, 2006, 10:05 AM
ok.. all fair and good..but let me come up with another crazy conspiracy theory.

1. Knowing his career would be over for sure, or even not, it would be restricted to few, ICC indeed came up with this grand plan.
2. then ICC asked hair to write such letter to them, with which they wud go public.
3.ICC will indeed deposit a certain "undisclosed" amount of money to his or his nominated a/c, (eg wife, kids in a foreign bank like Swiss bank) in a later date when everything cools down.

Cuz now the letter is out in the public:
1. ICC seems to got out of one of the biggest mess they could get themselves right into.
2. Now that ICC president went public with the letter, they are no longer viewed as the bad guy or the guilty party. Rather they seem to be the organisation with moral and ethics and did the right thing.
3.hair knew his career gonna be over, so why not take the money and the blame ( with some degree of shame) and phase away in regular life.
4. PCB happy, ECB happy, ICC happy and the Asian bloc happy.
5. It was surprising to see India not taking Pak's side on that issue. but may be they (along with the public voicing of other Asian countries) cooked up this brilliant idea where every party would be the winner, except hair, but he had no choice.
6. now the thing is getting well and over soon, we all would forget it soon and concentrate on cricket.

Its all my own consipiracy theory. but if u try to see it from this angle, it makes some sense i guess.

Miraz
August 27, 2006, 10:16 AM
ok.. all fair and good..but let me come up with another crazy conspiracy theory.

1. Knowing his career would be over for sure, or even not, it would be restricted to few, ICC indeed came up with this grand plan.
2. then ICC asked hair to write such letter to them, with which they wud go public.
3.ICC will indeed deposit a certain "undisclosed" amount of money to his or his nominated a/c, (eg wife, kids in a foreign bank like Swiss bank) in a later date when everything cools down.

Cuz now the letter is out in the public:
1. ICC seems to got out of one of the biggest mess they could get themselves right into.
2. Now that ICC president went public with the letter, they are no longer viewed as the bad guy or the guilty party. Rather they seem to be the organisation with moral and ethics and did the right thing.
3.hair knew his career gonna be over, so why not take the money and the blame ( with some degree of shame) and phase away in regular life.
4. PCB happy, ECB happy, ICC happy and the Asian bloc happy.
5. It was surprising to see India not taking Pak's side on that issue. but may be they (along with the public voicing of other Asian countries) cooked up this brilliant idea where every party would be the winner, except hair, but he had no choice.
6. now the thing is getting well and over soon, we all would forget it soon and concentrate on cricket.

Its all my own consipiracy theory. but if u try to see it from this angle, it makes some sense i guess.

Nope!! not making enough sense. The weakest link is ICC is not an independent corporate organization, its an organization of its member state. It has to approve any payment or deal in its board meeting. Now, in that case it will be no longer secret and that will be much worse scenario. Secondly why PCB and asian bloc will agree to pay large sum of money to Hair???

Rabz
August 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
Nope!! not making enough sense. The weakest link is ICC is not an independent corporate organization, its an organization of its member state. It has to approve any payment or deal in its board meeting. Now, in that case it will be no longer secret and that will be much worse scenario. Secondly why PCB and asian bloc will agree to pay large sum of money to Hair???

as i said before.. its kinda my own crazy conspiracy theory!!

and PCB and other Asian block aint paying money, it came out wrong then what i meant to say ! Its only ICC who is paying up the money to make him look really bad and scaping any blame on themselves. and i dont think org's like ICC is that transparent really. i was watching a doco on FIFA where they revealed that FIFA, even after being one of the most poweful organisation on earth, is not transparent at all and it is sort of whatever Blatter wishes to do. may be not the best example, but its also a governing body of a international sport.

im not saying anyone hv to believe me. im just saying its one of those crazy possibilites.

Hatebreed
August 27, 2006, 11:26 AM
:drool:

Mukh diye lala pore jamata bhijiye dilo.... matar onek "chulo" pore gelo.. tau to kichhu bujhlam na.

:lol:

bengaltiger
August 27, 2006, 03:03 PM
as i said before.. its kinda my own crazy conspiracy theory!!

and PCB and other Asian block aint paying money, it came out wrong then what i meant to say ! Its only ICC who is paying up the money to make him look really bad and scaping any blame on themselves. and i dont think org's like ICC is that transparent really. i was watching a doco on FIFA where they revealed that FIFA, even after being one of the most poweful organisation on earth, is not transparent at all and it is sort of whatever Blatter wishes to do. may be not the best example, but its also a governing body of a international sport.

im not saying anyone hv to believe me. im just saying its one of those crazy possibilites.

lol, are you twisting our mind?

how do you know that we are all not in a dream because of a trance put by an evil wizard? hehe

Sovik
August 27, 2006, 07:26 PM
Here is a cartoon of Darrell and Inzi
<object height="350" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-U0SDrqlNk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="350" width="425"></object>

Hatebreed
August 27, 2006, 07:36 PM
lol.. that's funny.

Sovik
August 27, 2006, 07:44 PM
ICC no see, PCB no see, ECB no see. how do you see

we will scratch your hair........

Rabz
August 28, 2006, 01:44 AM
he he he.. funny video..
i is run out again

Sovik
August 28, 2006, 05:38 AM
Hair hits back at the ICC

Darrell Hair, the Australian umpire at the centre of the ongoing ball-tampering controversy, has claimed that his offer to resign if offered US$500,000 was made at the behest of the ICC. In a statement issued through his lawyers last night, Hair stated that he was invited to put his offer in writing by Doug Cowie, the ICC's umpires manager.

Full Story>> (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/257988.html)

SMHasan
August 28, 2006, 09:11 PM
As everything looks very complex at this moment Geoffrey Boycott wrote a very good column on Hair incident. Here is the column:

Hair has lost credibility in sorry affair
By Geoffrey Boycott
(Filed: 26/08/2006)

What Darrell Hair has just done is make himself a laughing stock. It weakens his case considerably because it smacks of somebody just interested in the money. It's amazing to think that on Sunday night he was blocking a restart in the Test match on a point of principle, and then 36 hours later he was sending this letter asking for $500,000. I'm sorry, but to me, that's just a joke.

By calling Pakistan cheats at the very start of this affair, Hair had already proved what an officious, high-handed man he is. That was not a line decision, like giving someone out. Even if a batsman doesn't actually nick the ball, he still knows that in a couple of days they'll have another innings. But this sort of accusation leaves a stain that never goes away.

This idea that umpires are always right is a load of old cobblers. What I want to know is: Who umpires the umpires? The players suffer from their mistakes, but no one ever seems to get rid of the umpires themselves. It is clear to me that Hair was acting beyond the bounds of his office. Being an umpire is a people job: that's why Dickie Bird was good at it. Yes, he was a loony, and he made mistakes - everyone does. But he knew how to deal with people, so they respected him.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Hair now. He is going to struggle to umpire with any authority after this, especially on the subcontinent. The whole affair confirms my theory that the International Cricket Council have made a fundamental error in appointing a small number of full-time umpires, only a couple of whom have played the game at first-class level. How could you make me a high-court judge when I know nothing about the law? We're talking about people who have just played club cricket, and we're asking them to deal with the best players in the game, under huge pressure from TV, radio and newspaper scrutiny. If you haven't been there, you can't understand. It's not enough just to pass an exam proving you know the Laws of the game back to front. The Laws are black and white, but that's not how the world works, you have to have some give, some discretion and some commonsense.

The problem is that the best umpires don't want to be away from their families 12 months a year. They've done that throughout their playing careers. So the solution is for the ICC to start doubling the money per Test and allow the best ex-players to be part-time. Someone like Peter Willey will be happy to go away, as long as it's only for a couple of months. But these amateur cricketers, they think they know it all. They don't - that's why we're in a mess here with Hair.

I would like to see Inzamam's hearing held as soon as possible after the end of this one-day series. He needs a small slap on the wrist for his action in not coming out last Sunday, and that should be the end of it. The ball-tampering accusation should be found not proven, unless Hair has some evidence we haven't heard about. You can't just make a claim like that on the basis that a ball 50 overs old has got some scratches and scuffing on it.

We've got to kill this thing as soon as possible because it can only do cricket harm. Pakistan are indignant right now, and if they stay that way, who knows what damage it will do to the Champions Trophy and the World Cup. If it's not sorted, it will fester like a sore. All these ICC officials sitting in their tax haven in Dubai and saying the umpire's always right - that's not going to help anyone. They've got to forget about their big egos for a moment and let us move on.

mzia
August 29, 2006, 06:12 AM
Hair apologies for his $500,000 worth email and he will not be one of the umpires in an English county cricket match to be held on next Wednesday. Interesting no doubt.
http://http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/258072.html

Hatebreed
August 29, 2006, 11:28 AM
Holding critical of 'first-world hypocrisy'
Cricinfo staff
August 28, 2006

Michael Holding, the former West Indies fast bowler, lent his support to Inzamam-ul-Haq, saying that Darrell Hair was "insensitive" to have penalised Pakistan for ball-tampering.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/258009.html

Rabz
August 29, 2006, 11:39 AM
Hair apologies for his $500,000 worth email and he will not be one of the umpires in an English county cricket match to be held on next Wednesday. Interesting no doubt.
http://http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/258072.html (http://http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/258072.html)

Apology NOT accepted.

Looks like Hair would get Bald soon.

Tigers_eye
August 29, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hair's fault at Oval.

I had come across with a nice explanation on one another Cricket Forum. I will copy-paste some of it here. Those who think Hair did everything by the book think again. One can read the whole article by following the link.

What are those Pakistani’s complaining about? (by Mercenary)
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=27309

Denied appeals are an everyday part of cricket but then so is ball tampering we are told. Former England players like Fraser have admitted that it goes on all the time and the England team themselves have been accused that their sweet tooth on the field of play has more to do with the state of the cricket ball than a repetitive case of the munchies! Even players like Atherton, Waqar, Sachin, Akhtar, Dravid and others have had their collars felt for ball tampering in the recent past. What was so different about this accusation?

Well it’s quite simple. In the past umpires have pointed to a specific instance and named a specific individual. In short umpires have been full and frank with the fielding captain by telling him the exact reason, the specific instance and naming the perpetrator. This level of communication has helped to keep the situation in check because the fielding team know the details of what they have been accused of and why!

Aleem Dar said, any other umpire would have handled it better! To put it more simply; the problem wasn’t the awarding of the penalty, it was the lack of communication with the fielding captain about what was being done and why! Also by not singling out an individual or a specific instance of tampering, Hair had implicated the whole Pakistan team of a conspiracy to tamper the ball. This means he called each and every one of them cheaters!! Are you beginning to see why the Pakistan team would feel aggrieved this time and not the previous times?

Despite that insult the Pakistan team stayed on the field until play was called off for bad light. The extended tea break was the perfect opportunity for both umpires to visit the Pakistan team in the dressing room and set the record straight. But did they? No they didn’t!

The Pakistan team quite rightly felt this was neither professional nor acceptable and so they stayed in the dressing room as a form of protest. Are they allowed to do this? Of course they are!

But what happens once the Pakistan team choose to take this form of action? Well in that situation the laws place the burden of restarting the match squarely on the shoulders of both the on-field umpires. The law in question is quoted below…

21.3. Umpires awarding a match
(b) If an umpire considers that an action by any player or players might constitute a refusal by either side to play then the umpires together shall ascertain the cause of the action. If they then decide together that this action does constitute a refusal to play by one side, they shall so inform the captain of that side. If the captain persists in the action the umpires shall award the match in accordance with (a)(ii) above.

…according to the laws of cricket the burden now shifts to the umpires. They must get together and liaise with the captain of the side believed to be refusing to return to the field. They must speak to the captain until such a time as they become absolutely sure of the reason for the captain taking this action. This means they need to have a discussion with the captain because you can’t ascertain a cause any other way. Once they are sure of the reason for the action, both umpires are to decide whether this constitutes a refusal to play. If they are in agreement that this constitutes a refusal to play then they must inform the captain, if he persists then the match can be awarded to the opposition.

The problem at the Oval was that after returning from the pitch, Doctrove went to the England dressing room whilst Hair went to the Pakistani dressing room. Now Bell and Collingwood were both ready and waiting to take to the field so the problem was obviously in the Pakistani dressing room. So why did Doctrove go to the English dressing room when the laws required him to join Hair in the Pakistani dressing room? Hair’s job once he arrived at the Pakistani dressing room was to enter into a discussion with the Pakistani captain to ascertain the reason for the action they had taken. Instead (according to those who were there) the conversation went like this…

Hair: Are you coming out?
Inzi: Why did you change the ball?
Hair: I am not here to discuss that.

…now that isn’t a case of following the letter of the law. Hair’s job was not to demand that the team come out and play. His job according to the law he cherishes so much was to ascertain the reason for the action taken. Inzamam was in fact ready to have a discussion with the umpire about the reason for the action taken but it was Hair who was not interested in pinpointing the cause of the action! The lack of Doctrove’s presence also means that the law was not followed correctly because Hair the law requires the presence of and discussion between both of the umpires.

When Inzamam asked Hair for clarification on his decision, it was clear that Inzamam didn’t fully understand what he was being charged with. It then became the umpire’s responsibility to explain the details to Inzamam so that the umpire could then decide whether or not Inzamam’s reason for staying in the dressing room amounted to a refusal to play or to ask the umpire’s to clarify the rules. It’s neither unusual nor unheard of for participants to approach umpires/referees for clarification on the rules in sporting matters and it’s the umpire’s job to provide that clarity. Darrell Hair failed at his job when he refused to provide that clarity to Inzamam.

Even if both umpires had been present and the laws followed to the letter, what was the ECB chairman doing in the Pakistan dressing room? It’s a clear possibility that the Pakistan captain and manager were led to believe that the ECB chief’s presence was fully sanctioned and that they had enough time to restart the match. It’s probable that they felt the English dressing room was waiting for David Morgan’s signal before restarting the match. This would appear to be backed up by the fact that when the PCB and ECB chiefs were giving the thumbs up from the balcony, the Pakistani team returned to the field and were shocked and surprised to see that the match was over.

Hair based his decision to award the match on intuition, sixth sense and preconception. This is against the laws of cricket, fair play, decency and common sense. Therefore the forfeit against Pakistan must be removed and the match either restarted or corrected to mach abandoned due to umpire error.

Sovik
August 31, 2006, 11:05 AM
<!--content area--> <!--HEADER ends here--> <!--- END OLD SSI: /navigation/NATIONAL/AUS/NEWS/HEADER-NEWS.html ---> 'Darrell has not done anything wrong' - says Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson, the chairman of Australia's umpire selection panel, said that Darrell Hair could still umpire on the international panel in Australia if he is removed from the ICC's Elite Panel following the recent incidents at The Oval Test between England and Pakistan.

Full Story (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/258266.html)

SMHasan
September 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
So at last the ICC is going to do nothing against Mr Hair? This is ridiculous! Just can't believe that a person who asked for a huge amount of money to the sports governing body but no one is seeking the main reason of it. Although there are lots of talks that he asked the money, but why? Has he done something serious? Was the decision made by him and his fellow umphire wrong? Or what? I think Inzi is gonna be penalised for his actions but as Mr Hair is an Australian,he is gonna be released from the case. This is injustice.

There are people in the field to control the game when it goes on but are there any people to supervise those people who are controling the game? I don't think so. ICC is a Var other than nothing. Kill them all.

Miraz
January 13, 2007, 11:38 AM
Darrel Hair is back in action.

From BBC,

Umpire Darrell Hair has been appointed to officiate in next week's one-day series in Kenya - his first assignment since August's forfeited Oval Test.

Fellow World Cup qualifiers Scotland and Canada face the hosts in Mombasa.
World cricket heads decided in November not to appoint Hair for games involving Test nations, after his ball-tampering charge against Pakistan was not proven.
"The ICC said Hair would not officiate in any assignments featuring its full members," said a spokesman. <!-- E SF -->
"The tri-series in Mombasa does not feature any ICC full members." Australian Hair's contract as an elite umpire runs until March 2008, but he will not be offered a new one.

Hatebreed
January 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
Meh, let him deal with the small fishes. The big fishes will swim by grinning, and he will be able to do nothing.

Miraz
January 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
Darrel Hair's unwise exercise of power has backfired for rest of the umpires. Now, ICC has decided to curb umpire's power. They will be no longer able to award a match to any team regardless of situation. The authority now lies in the hands of the match referee.

from ICC

The two-day ICC Chief Executives' Committee (CEC) meeting concluded in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, today.
The members of CEC have recommended an amendment to the ICC Playing Condition that relates to Law 21.3 ("Umpires awarding a match").
They have recommended that the final decision in relation to the termination of a match should rest with the ICC Match Referee. This recommendation will be considered by the ICC Board in South Africa in March.
The meeting also considered a range of issues relating to anti-doping. The members of the committee agreed that the ICC should take an active role in monitoring the anti-doping programs of its members.
The delegates received an update on the ICC's commercial program, including the ICC Twenty20 World Championship to be held in South Africa in September 2007.
The CEC is made up of the Chief Executives or their equivalent from all ten ICC Full Members, as well as three Associate Members, the ICC Chief Executive and President and the Chairman of the ICC's Cricket Committee.

Kabir
January 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
Good move I would say. But lets hope that the match referees realize that they're the most superior in power in a sporting event...so that they don't misuse their power.

Miraz
February 7, 2007, 05:33 AM
WOW!! another twist in the saga. Hair is going to sue ICC and PCB and now he is playing the race card. He is accusing ICC and PCB for racial discrimination.

From Cricinfo,

Hair believes the PCB "unlawfully induced" the ICC to engage in discriminatory acts when it lobbied for his ban before a November meeting. Percy Sonn, ICC president, announced after the meeting: "It was clear from discussions that the ICC board had lost confidence in Mr Hair."

Full report (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/279257.html)

Alien
February 7, 2007, 09:21 AM
PCB responds to Hair sue threat

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) reacted strongly to reports that umpire Darrell Hair is planning on suing the board and the ICC for alleged racial discrimination.

The BBC Sport website revealed that Hair was planning legal action after he was banned from officiating Test matches following his role in the forfeited Oval Test between Pakistan and England in August last year.

Hair believes the PCB "unlawfully induced" the ICC to engage in discriminatory acts when it lobbied for his ban before a November meeting. Percy Sonn, ICC president, announced after the meeting: "It was clear from discussions that the ICC board had lost confidence in Mr Hair."

But the PCB maintains that the final decision was not taken by one member, but the cricket community as a whole and Pakistan cannot be singled out. "We haven't received anything, any notice yet anyway," Salim Altaf, PCB's director cricket operations told Cricinfo.

"But it was the ICC that said in November that we have lost confidence in Hair. It was an ICC decision based on their member body. I do not see how the question of legal action taken against Pakistan even arises out of this," he added.

Altaf said, however, that were the board to be issued any such notice, they would be prepared to battle it out in court. An ICC spokesman told Cricinfo: "We haven't received anything from Mr Hair, but even if we had we would not be able to comment as it might be prejudicial to proceedings."

However, Nasim Ashraf, chairman of the board, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that his lawyer had informed him of Hair's complaint and that he was "simply outraged" over the matter. "This is adding insult to injury. Race has nothing to do with this. Mr Hair was removed from the elite panel of umpires by the full ICC board, which has many countries, because of his poor judgement.

"This is the most preposterous thing I have heard. This is another manifestation of Mr Hair's mental status."

Ashraf further added: "It is crass for him to say a black West Indian was let off [whereas] he was a white man and therefore he was charged. Mr Hair was the senior umpire and he literally took over that Oval cricket match. I was present there.

"There was only one man that evening that did not want cricket to be played. [It was] a black spot on the history of cricket thanks to Mr Hair."

The Test was forfeited after Hair and Billy Doctrove awarded England a five-run penalty because they believed the ball had been tampered with during England's second innings on the fourth afternoon. Pakistan refused to come out to play after the tea break, in protest against the decision.

Eventually, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Pakistan's captain, was cleared of ball-tampering charges but given a four-match ban for bringing the game into disrepute, by Ranjan Madugalle. Hair offered his resignation in exchange for $500,000 soon after the Test, before he was eventually removed from the ICC's elite panel of umpires.

Tigers_eye
February 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
Fantastic!! This is how he truely ends any chance of coming back to international umpiring. Congrates!! His advisors are really and truely an intelligent speciment. Wait! He is a lawyer himself. He can't let go the fact he would not get his extortion money. Keep it up, Hair!!

Miraz
March 18, 2008, 10:18 AM
Another Dramatic twist...

http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
<!-- END OLD SSI: /navigation/NATIONAL/CI_ICC/HEADERstory.html --> Umpire returns after six-month rehabilitation
Darrell Hair reinstated by ICC
Cricinfo staff
March 18, 2008
Darrell Hair will return to umpiring in Tests and ODIs after the ICC decided that he had successfully completed a six-month rehabilitation period. Hair has not stood in a major match since the Oval Test between England and Pakistan in 2006 when he and Billy Doctrove penalised Pakistan for ball-tampering.
Hair withdrew his allegations of racial discrimination against the ICC - with whom he is contracted till March 2009 - seven days into a tribunal in London last October. It was then recommended that he enter a period of rehabilitation. While he was never removed from the ICC's Elite panel, he was in effect isolated as it was made clear he would not be appointed to any game involving a Full Member.
Since he was suspended from standing in major cricket, Hair, has officiated in a few ODIs involving Associate countries as well as umpiring in three ICC Intercontinental Cup matches.
More to follow...
© Cricinfo

Sovik
March 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
i am not surprised

Tigers_eye
March 18, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hey lets have Hair as our next tour umpire. I can garantee our opponents will not be happy!! For a change, we should get few calls in our way.

thebest
March 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hey lets have Hair as our next tour umpire. I can garantee our opponents will not be happy!! For a change, we should get few calls in our way.
He was much better than Asoka though racist (that is my view); but we would get better deal from him to prove the point that he is not racist.

zainab
March 18, 2008, 12:52 PM
guess the next umpire might be Steve Bucknor

auntu
March 18, 2008, 01:49 PM
guess the next umpire might be Steve Bucknor

ezzat thakte thakte SB should b retired

Ishtylish cricketer
March 18, 2008, 10:53 PM
Must watch. Very funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qL7Ce4geXQ

ICC no see PCB no see ECB no see how do you see hein ji?