PDA

View Full Version : DS: Shahriar surprise !!!

TheWatcher
August 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
In a surprise move the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Monday named Shahriar Nafees as vice-captain of the national team for the ICC Champions Trophy to be held in India in October-November.

The board's decision to award the young left-handed opener the demanding job at its executive committee meeting yesterday, was a bolt from the blue for long-serving wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud, who had successfully led the team in the recently concluded Africa trip during the absence of injured skipper Habibul Bashar.

BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam however told reporters that they have considered Shahriar in an effort to groom a future Bangladesh captain.

"It was unanimously agreed in the meeting that Shahriar will act as the deputy of Bashar for the tourney. It would be nothing new for him since he had led Bangladesh Under-19s and Bangladesh A team previously," said Mahbub while defending the board's decision.

"Most importantly Nafees attended a captaincy training programme under the supervision of Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and honestly speaking he has the ability to go all the way," he added.

When asked whether the board was taking unnecessary risk by naming Shahriar as vice-captain ahead of a proven Mashud with Bashar yet to get back to full fitness, the bearded BCB general secretary said that they were adamant to gamble with the young southpaw.

"I agree that we might have made a mistake in the previous occasion but we are very much confident this time about Shahriar. Besides, we have confirmation that Bashar will be fit for the ICC Champions Trophy," he said.

Mahbub was batting against a volley of questions after the Rajin Saleh fallout in the last ICC Champions Trophy in England in 2004.

"Bashar will start the training with the team tomorrow and he can bat within two weeks, so we can't think right at the moment that Bashar will miss the tourney," he added.

Bangladesh start their training for the second biggest tournament after World Cup today in the absence of coach Dav Whatmore who will return from Sri Lanka on August 31.

sadi
August 28, 2006, 01:17 PM
"I agree that we might have made a mistake in the previous occasion but we are very much confident this time about Shahriar. Besides, we have confirmation that Bashar will be fit for the ICC Champions Trophy," he said.

"Bashar will start the training with the team tomorrow and he can bat within two weeks, so we can't think right at the moment that Bashar will miss the tourney," he added.

Thats a good news. Shahriar Nafees will be a great captain. Atleast better than Pilot or Rajin thats for sure.

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2006, 01:25 PM
Good move indeed.

P.S. Fazal bhai, I can't find my ears.

ialbd
August 28, 2006, 01:26 PM
Good to hear. I hope his batting is not affected by the pressure of captaincy. Wishing S. Nafees all the best.......
________
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

AsifTheManRahman
August 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
woohoo! bashar will play! yay!

but the thing is, how can they be so sure when the docs down under said he needed surgery?

Fazal
August 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
Good move indeed.
P.S. Fazal bhai, I can't find my ears.

I know I know :lol: .... next time you will not see your ears (I mean your idol) anymore... sooner than you think:) .

There was a news a while ago that Pilot and some BCB selectors doesn't talk eye to eye any more. They want Pilot out. That's why they selected Mushfiq in the first place. But first bashar and then DAV spoiled the whole plan. Thats why they are khappa on Dav also. Now they are going for PLAN-B to eliminate Pilot. Looks like that inside-scoop have some merit after all.... these reporters are no dummies.

So lets see how Pilot tackle assisanation plan this time.:D

TheWatcher
August 28, 2006, 02:37 PM
how can they be so sure when the docs down under said he needed surgery?
I think Mahbub Anam was in pure bs mode yesterday. Not only he denied the fact that there is a good chance Bashar won't play in the champion's trophy, he also said that he was not aware that he is in charge to investigate the selectors !

Ahmed_B
August 28, 2006, 02:45 PM
When asked whether the board was taking unnecessary risk by naming Shahriar as vice-captain ahead of a proven Mashud with Bashar yet to get back to full fitness, the bearded BCB general secretary said that they were adamant to gamble with the young southpaw...
What an adjective!:lol:

SS
August 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
Not sure how the move will affect the team, but I know that Pilot is really unhappy and mad. He might not even take catches. As he is very emotional. It's hard to deal with emotional people.

sadi
August 28, 2006, 03:16 PM
I don't think he will be that stupid cuz he better realize his position in the team in not secured anymore.

Rubu
August 28, 2006, 03:18 PM
so if bashar do not play CT, nafees will be the man leading the team? cool!

nsd3
August 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
Good way to remove Pilot from captaincy and perhaps from the team in the next step!

shovon13
August 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
this was inevitable. definitely a good proactive move by the selectors.

Fazal
August 28, 2006, 03:32 PM
Do you think http://meenar71.tripod.com/journal/image/shahriar_nafees.jpg can lead the team effectively as long as these (two) are there in the team?

http://www.espnstar.com/photo/1107014448273mohammadrafique290105.jpg and http://www.bracnet.net/Adimo/Site/default/Images/web/articles/pilot_article1.gif

Forget about other info that we already know about them, just look at the picture.

I don't have any problem with SN as a future potential Captain.
However I see recipe for disaster (in short term) with senior players like them to lead to in the team. Its too much to ask from SN too soon.

And that initial failure will be hard to shake off as it will be used against SN in long term as why he shouldn't be a captain in future.

sadi
August 28, 2006, 03:38 PM
I must say I didn't expect the selectors to make a such a bold move. I am impressed nevertheless. Rafique and Pilot should be professional enough to go play for their country without worrying too much about who is doing the captaincy.

AsifTheManRahman
August 28, 2006, 03:41 PM
yeah, i agree. i'm not sure if nafees is ready to take on the responsibilities associated with captaining the team. besides, this is a tournament where we must win a few games to qualify for the ICCCT, and i'm not sure whether appointing someone with so little experience is a good idea. unfortunately, we don't have many alternatives either. perhaps we could've tried rajin again?

shovon13
August 28, 2006, 03:42 PM
fazal bhai, you have two solid points. the senior players (namely rafiq and pilot) may be butt hurt about this. hopefully they'll understand that this is beneficial for the team. they are professionals, and they should act as such.

nafees is selected as an understudy to bashar, so he eventually gets used to captaining the national team. this is the learning process. the media needs to take it easy on the board on this one, because nafees surely seems like the best man to lead our team in the future (maybe in the coming world cup even). he has a good amount of experience in captaining the A team and the u-19 team. furthermore, he has been in a training program for this purpose as well. he is one of the mainstays in our team (the only solid opener we have), and is one of the more matured ones.

AsifTheManRahman
August 28, 2006, 03:44 PM
nafees is selected as an understudy to bashar, so he eventually gets used to captaining the national team. this is the learning process.

good move if and only if bashar is playing. however, we're not sure mahbub wasn't on drugs during the press conference.

shovon13
August 28, 2006, 03:48 PM
good move if and only if bashar is playing. however, we're not sure mahbub wasn't on drugs during the press conference.

lol. thats true. if bashar is still injured during the champion's trophy, it might be a good idea to retain pilot as the captain - while nafees remains the vice captain of the team.

Beamer
August 28, 2006, 03:52 PM
Finally a pro-active move with future in mind. They should have done this for the African tour. I must applaud them however for recognizing the need to identify the future captain for Bangladesh and it must start now. Richard McIness told us that he was captaincy material and I will go with his words. Also, he has represented us in various stages of age level competition. So, he is no novice. He will learn in his capacity as the vice-captain until Bashar retires from intl cricket in three-four years. Thats plenty of time to learn and maybe Bashar would get advices from him as well ( if he does indeed have the acumen ). He will be ready to take over when Bashar decides to hang it up. Its a good move. Positive and bold. In all probabiltiy, Bashar and Pilot will both retire at the same time and if we are not pro-active now, there will be a huge void to fill in the leadrship role if we do not take these steps now. This should be a permanent solution and I think thats what the management has in mind. He should also captain the side in the case Bashar misses a game here and there due to injury. Seniority -juniority boogeyman that is so prevalent in our culture must not transpire in the playing field. They must understand it like true professionals. Companies target their leadrship materials early, groom them, and move them when time is right ,bypassing senior workers quite often. Professionals cricketers must also think like that. If Graeme Smith can be a captain even with Pollock, kallis, Boucher in the side, why can't we? They are in the same profession. Kudos to the management for thinking positively. It is the right decision at theright time. In three-four years, the generation of Bashar, Pilot, Rafiq will be replaced and the new captain should be ready by then because of this move. Congrats!

shovon13
August 28, 2006, 04:01 PM
Seniority -juniority boogeyman that is so prevalent in our culture must not transpire in the playing field. They must understand it like true professionals.

exactly. i understand its an honor to be able to lead your country, but its no less (perhaps more) honor helping your country win some matches.

Beamer
August 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
Some readers argue that Rafiq and Pilot mabe hurt because if this move. Maybe. But, they need to realize that time is not in their side. They have served us well for years. I am more afraid of the Ashrafuls, Aftabs, Rajins, Mashrafees in the side, who are senior to Nafees, who still is only a relative new comer ( year in the intl cricket ) and its their support that will be more valuable in the long run. I hope they are all professionals and support whoever is the captain chosen regardless of age.

cricket_pagol
August 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
Finally, BCB has done something courageous!!!!!! I am extremely happy with this move, Hope to see some aggressive captaincy from Shariar Nafees. I am pretty confident that his captaincy will be far better than that of Pilot.

Fazal
August 28, 2006, 04:20 PM
Yes in a ideal world its all great move. So we are saying....

- Rafique and Pilot will be professional enough to go play for their country without worrying too much about who is doing the captaincy

- Senior players (namely rafiq and pilot) should not be butt hurt about this

- Media will to take it easy on the board on this one

- It will be a gradual process ... eventually will get used to captaining the national team

- hopefully they'll (senior players) understand that this is beneficial for the team

- they are professionals, and they should act as such

- good move if and only if bashar is playing. We can trust on mahbub, that Bashar is playing.

- Richard McIness told us that he (nafees) was captaincy material. By that he most likely meant that he is ready to lead now.

- He will learn in his capacity as the vice-captain until Bashar retires. Assumption here: bashar is going to lead the team most of the games in near future, which assumes he will be fit before the tournament. The other assumption is bashar is a good mentor to teach Nafees.

- He will be ready to take over when Bashar decides to hang it up. The assumption here is: basher will retire when his time is up; will not extend his stay and eventually be forced to retire like ChaCha.

- He should also captain the side in the case Bashar misses a game here and there due to injury. The assumption here is that he will not be forced to lead too many or too little games during that time.

- Seniority -juniority boogeyman that is so prevalent in our culture -- somehow will not transpire in the playing field.

- They (senior players) will understand it like true professionals.

- bangladeshi cricketers will suddenly start accepting it like other professionals in the western world (unlike Bangladesh).

- If Graeme Smith can be a captain even with Pollock, kallis, Boucher in the side, why can't we?

Yes these are all perfect statemens for ideal worlds. But we don't live in the ideal world and none of this statement will come true so easily... changes require efforts, struggle, small failures and patience.

Now do I want to see all of the above statements/prediction true? Yes !!!!

But am I going to bet my money on that? of-course not?

Will you?

And there lies difference between what we want to see happen versus what we predict things will happen. And as usual the difference is huge to the point thinking about these kind of idealistic situation is too far from reality.

Sorry for iterrupting the day-dream.:)

TheWatcher
August 28, 2006, 04:25 PM
Good news is that, so far, Janakantha is the only paper that is whinning why Pilot is not kept as the vice captain.

Miraz
August 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
Oh!! that's a great news!!

Iam sure, I will see Pilot's last ODI soon :D

I salute him for his contribution and waiting for his farewell.

Tigers_eye
August 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
... I am more afraid of the Ashrafuls, Aftabs, Rajins, Mashrafees in the side, who are senior to Nafees, who still is only a relative new comer ( year in the intl cricket ) and its their support that will be more valuable in the long run.
I was worring about this also. But come to think of it, if performace is any measuring stick, then SN is way above than any other BD player that includes Bashar also. If the coach backs him up, if the manager backs him up, I see no problem. Clear communication should be the key between all stakeholders.

With the pathetic performance they showed in the Zim series, we need a dramatic change. May be this is it.

kalpurush
August 28, 2006, 05:07 PM
According to daily "Prothom-Alo" Bashar doesn't need a surgery in his injured hand right now and it's improving. It might take two more weeks to find out if there is a need for surgery. Also Bashar has started lomited practice with the other BD team members.
Selecting Nafees as vice captain so far looks good! He is the best option we had I believe. Good luck and all the best S. Nafees.

Fazal
August 28, 2006, 05:11 PM
It might take two more weeks to find out if there is a need for surgery.
:lol: so we need two more weeks to know if he needs a surgery or not? And people are saying its a good news? So two less weeks for the new captain to prepare? if thats the good news....then I don't know what are the examples of bad news?

BangladeshFan
August 28, 2006, 05:30 PM
captaincy is not about seniority, otherwise all teams would have their most senior player as captain. a player who can inspire others and knows about other players strong points should be the captain.( from that point of view bashar is not a good captain as he can hardly inspire the team)

pagol-chagol
August 28, 2006, 05:50 PM
Congrats board. Right or wrong only time will tell, but its a reasonable and bold plan with some vision. Pilot and Rafiq will be fine. They know they need to perform to stay on the team.

real123
August 28, 2006, 07:55 PM
It is a good move but I think he is selected as a "vice-captain" so BCB can appoint a captain (Pilot) if Bashar does not play.

Also too many changes are not good just before the world-cup. I think that is what BCB is doing, repeating the same mistake they made in the last world-cup. After the champions trophy we might see a complete new BD team consisting of all the novice players and most likely they are doomed to failure.

SMHasan
August 28, 2006, 08:06 PM
It is a good move but I think he is selected as a "vice-captain" so BCB can appoint a captain (Pilot) if Bashar does not play.

Also too many changes are not good just before the world-cup. I think that is what BCB is doing, repeating the same mistake they made in the last world-cup. After the champions trophy we might see a complete new BD team consisting of all the novice players and most likely they are doomed to failure.

Don't despair my fellow! The future is bright!

Sam
August 28, 2006, 08:47 PM
Hopefully this will bring life in the field with cooperation from everyone (including KM)

cricketboy
August 28, 2006, 09:23 PM
Shahriar Nafees probably is the best man to be the vice-captain right now and after 1-2 years he will be ready to captain. But the main thing is HE HAS TO CONTINUE PERFORMING. :lol:

RBTiger
August 28, 2006, 09:27 PM
I am not really sure that we should be too enthusiastic right now. It's a bold move alright, and in the right direction, too. But will he have the support of the selectors in future in case there are problems with the senior players. Let's hope for the moment that he does, but even then, can we afford to axe the likes of rafique or pilot if it comes down to that. All I am trying to say is, are we ready as a team to accept these initiatives.

Well, nay-sayers can say a lot of things. I guess only time will tell. Go selectors (even though I don't think too highly of them, I think this was a good move)!

Navarene
August 28, 2006, 09:52 PM
Thank heaven neither the media nor any of the BC posters did raise his/her eyebrow or sniff a mama-bhagna shojon preeti story out of Nafees' inclusion as vice captain. A very welcome news for our cricket. Kudos to Faruq gong and BCB.

Hatebreed
August 28, 2006, 10:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned most people already like Shahriar and it's pretty obvious he has immense potential to become a fine captain in future. At least poeple will agree things couldn't be better with Pilot. So thanks for BCB for making the right decision, and of course good luck to Shahriar.

nobody
August 29, 2006, 12:04 AM
Good luck to SN. A bold move by BCB. But I am worried about the team. You never know what a disappointed pilot with his cronies in the newspaper can do to the team moral. Rafiq may be hot temper but it would be hard me to belive he would instigate anything againest SN but pilot I am not sure.

Rabz
August 29, 2006, 12:12 AM
good move by the board. and i would say its no surprise to all of us too. after all we would hv bn utterly dissapointed if Pilot was made the captain again. SN deserves the chance and so he should get.
good luck to him.

bapzmania
August 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
Now pilot will surely replace.....i hope Ash is not crying after hearing the that news.....best of luck to SN

sunny747
August 29, 2006, 04:46 AM
atleast shahriar can speak good english....we wont' have that situation like Inzamam who has to come back to dressing room to know what was going on with the umpire as he is utterly bad in english.

sar2005
August 29, 2006, 07:13 AM
That is one agressive move by the management and we must need something like that when things are not happening too good. So far this guy is a consistant performer and as said by many other, he has proven ability to lead a side. Simply seniority can't make someone a captain in the side and that was also nicely mentioned by some of our friends when describing S.Africa's case.

I strongly believe all the BD players within team will support SN for his manner and performance. Moreover every individual needs to prove himself to sustain his position in the side. Therefore cooperation int erms of performances will be definitely there. Only question is the decipline. Let's see how fast he can learn from his captain (Bashar) how to maintain decipline within the team - on and off the field.

Good luck to SN.

Tokyobreeze
August 29, 2006, 08:29 AM
Future will tell either SN will become successful as captain or not...At this point, I am happy to see that at least selectors have selected a vice-captain for the team.I think, thought it's early for SN, he is the best we have at this moment.And, I hope from now onwards a vice-captain will be announced in every series so that we don't become orphan if the captain is somehow injured in the middle of the series.

akabir77
August 29, 2006, 10:00 AM
One concern:

If awami league comes to power is he goign to end up like durjoy? I was very fond of him and thought he would become our feature captain but we all know what happen... he became a dictator as he thought he will get back up from awami league even when they r not in power...
now since SN is BHAISTA of Farrok if awami comes in power (allah na koruk) then I bet he will have the same fate.
and we will lose a good opener just like we lost a good lower oreder batsman and a off spinner (btw for which our captain is crying every day).

AsifTheManRahman
August 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
you guys are amazing! lol...

first off, there's no guarantee he will be the captain. according to mahbub anam, bashar will be playing in the qualifiers; if that is true, then there is no question of nafees captaining. even if bashar doesn't play, the selectors can always appoint someone else (KM, probably) as the captain, and retain shahriar nafees as the vice captain. i am saying this keeping in mind that the selectors were highly enthusiastic about nafees' appointment, but then again, it is also true that they did so because they believe bashar is going to play. also, even if nafees is appointed, there is no guarantee that he will turn out to be a good captain.

finally, ekhane awami league/bnp/politics/election ashlo kottheke? looks like our imagination knows no bounds :p

Miraz
August 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
akabir's words are simple truth. In BD every sport is dominated by politics and Cricket is not out of that. If government changes, we will see many chnages in the BCB and national team.

I doubt whether SN will face the fate of Durjoy. It's Saber Hossain who is to blame for Durjoy's downfall. He used Durjoy in his constituency for election campaign and Durjoy was in forefront. SN does not have such clear political color. May be he will be stripped off Vice Captaincy but will definitely feature in the national squad.

Lastly SN is a better performer than Durjoy.

SMHasan
August 29, 2006, 10:32 AM
One concern:

If awami league comes to power is he goign to end up like durjoy? I was very fond of him and thought he would become our feature captain but we all know what happen... he became a dictator as he thought he will get back up from awami league even when they r not in power...
now since SN is BHAISTA of Farrok if awami comes in power (allah na koruk) then I bet he will have the same fate.
and we will lose a good opener just like we lost a good lower oreder batsman and a off spinner (btw for which our captain is crying every day).

We the bangladeshis always find politics in everything. this is really a bad habit. It seems that you don't like Awami leage, it does not matter but please don't bring politics everywhere and keep the discussion within itself.

BTW, how Naimur Rahman became a dictator? I am interested to know. Would you kindly tell me pls?

I don't think our cricket is in such a position where politics can bring a huge change in the team although 'some bits and pieces' are expected according to our political tradion :) and this thing will not change unless we get a very good generation. I believe we will get that generation very soon. The future is bright!

Miraz
August 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
One interesting comparison..

SN played 25 ODI's and 6 tests before awarding Vice Captaincy.

Graeme Smith played 22 ODI's and 8 tests before awarding Captaincy of South Africa team.

I wish SN can take some examples from Smith and can lead us (in absence of Bashar) with examples when required.

Rabz
August 29, 2006, 11:35 AM
you guys are amazing! lol...

finally, ekhane awami league/bnp/politics/election ashlo kottheke? looks like our imagination knows no bounds :p

sorry to dissapoint u mate..but politics does play a BIG BIG role in our sports.
if AL comes in power,there will be a complete overhaul of the current administrators in BD cricket, including the selectors. and unfortunately, few players would also get a chop.

the reason Durjoy, Mehrab Snr, Biddut got axed cuz of the politics.
akabir77 has raised a valid point here.
sad but true.

akabir77
August 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
We the bangladeshis always find politics in everything. this is really a bad habit. It seems that you don't like Awami leage, it does not matter but please don't bring politics everywhere and keep the discussion within itself.

Well by now from other response you can see I have raised a valid concern and which is with in the topic. captancy of SN. And it doesn't matter who I like or not they r all the same and history repeats it self at least clearlyin BD. And even if u and I don't like it politics is in every where or else some body like COCO who never even got a chance to play for para DOHS team (he was not even in first 15 for the Para DOHS team not the 1st division one) can run BCCB from ...

BTW, how Naimur Rahman became a dictator? I am interested to know. Would you kindly tell me pls?

I read players comment How he use to seat by him self no-body could talk to him with out permission and he was making players work for him and his party whether they liked it or not and there was huge distance between him while captain and the other players. Unfortunately I don't have the link or remember where I read it but I am sure who ever use to follow bd cricket at that time can point you to those time articles...

I don't think our cricket is in such a position where politics can bring a huge change in the team although 'some bits and pieces' are expected according to our political tradion :) and this thing will not change unless we get a very good generation. I believe we will get that generation very soon. The future is bright!

You r dreaming my friend it doen't matter how significant it is our politians never lets it go untill there r no money involved and as we know cricket is a big money machine for bd and so all the politics is involved with it.
You r right that 'some bits and pieces' changes will happen and that was my concern whether they will see it as an BNP montivated thing and remove him like BNP did with durjoy or they can above that if they come to power..

AsifTheManRahman
August 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
sorry to dissapoint u mate..but politics does play a BIG BIG role in our sports.
if AL comes in power,there will be a complete overhaul of the current administrators in BD cricket, including the selectors. and unfortunately, few players would also get a chop.

the reason Durjoy, Mehrab Snr, Biddut got axed cuz of the politics.
akabir77 has raised a valid point here.
sad but true.
admins? yes. but i can't agree with you on that the same will happen to the players as well. mehrab snr and bidyut didn't lose their place due to politics: let's face it, at one point in their career, they simply sucked. now if you want to blame the infrastructure/lack of planning for that, it's a different story and i will agree with you. as for durjoy, i dont quite remember what happened, so i wont comment on that.

besides, by now we know that be it AL or BNP that's in power, our cricket admins are not too bad. so i'm not worried about a change in board either - surely there's nothing with having Saber as the president?

TheWatcher
August 29, 2006, 01:34 PM
Everything is looking good for Abir so far.

"I was not upset because I believe that the time has come to groom someone for the future, otherwise it would be a big problem for our team. But we should keep faith with someone for a while before taking any decision,"

- Khaled Mashud

Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/08/30/d60830040129.htm)

AsifTheManRahman
August 29, 2006, 01:48 PM
But we should keep faith with someone for a while before taking any decision

i hope he's referring to abeer's vice-captaincy.

Tigers_eye
August 29, 2006, 02:16 PM
hartal'er jonno practice bhondho? What a country. Grrrr!!

pagol-chagol
August 29, 2006, 02:28 PM
Everything is looking good for Abir so far. No. Pilot just said what he was suppose to say but then the truth spilled out at the end. A guy who can't control his tongue can't be a good captain.

TheWatcher
August 29, 2006, 02:38 PM
You can interpret what Pilot said in many ways. One interpretion could be- don't rush Mehrab Jr or Mushfiq in Abir's position after a year. Other interpretion could be- leave my position in the team alone and I won't mess with Abir. Only God knows what exactly Pilot meant by the last line.

Anyway, so far he is taking the situation as a professional sportsman should.

Duck
August 29, 2006, 04:58 PM
Why is BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam is talking about selection of Vice-captain? Where are our notorious crapy selectors? Is this job responsibility of every BCB member? kind of confused..........

TheWatcher
August 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
Why is BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam is talking about selection of Vice-captain? Where are our notorious crapy selectors? Is this job responsibility of every BCB member? kind of confused..........
The BCCB main body kept the power of selecting the captain and the vc in their own hands, the selectors are never given this authority. Not only in Bangladesh, this is the general case among most of the other cricket boards of the world too.

I hope your confusion is cleared now.

SMHasan
August 29, 2006, 09:49 PM
admins? yes. but i can't agree with you on that the same will happen to the players as well. mehrab snr and bidyut didn't lose their place due to politics: let's face it, at one point in their career, they simply sucked. now if you want to blame the infrastructure/lack of planning for that, it's a different story and i will agree with you. as for durjoy, i dont quite remember what happened, so i wont comment on that.

besides, by now we know that be it AL or BNP that's in power, our cricket admins are not too bad. so i'm not worried about a change in board either - surely there's nothing with having Saber as the president?

I agree with ATMR that Mehrab Sr and Shahrier Hossein did not loose their place for politics at all. People might say different thing but not necessarily we have to believe everything. Shahrier and Mehrab didn't perform that well to keep their place in the team. As for Shahrier- once he said he was busy with his family business and then he submitted his resignation letter. I can remember in 2004 he played his last match in Zimbabwe tour. Plus he has been out of cricket after the 1999 WC, still he came back but could not continue. So you can't say that politics killed him. Mehrab's storey is also pretty much same.

As for Naimur, I cant remember everything but he was axed in the middle of a series when Bd did very bad against the Zombies.

LateCut
August 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
Read the TigerCricket interview

(http://www.tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=189)

then you will appreciate why he was chosen. He has a good head. He knows his place too. Furthermore, he conceeded that being chosen as VC doesn't automatically place him in the playing eleven.

sadi
August 31, 2006, 01:29 PM
A different type of article about Shahriar Nafees. Check it out:

An evening with an elegant batsman

As I got into my car, en route to a meeting with one of the greatest talents ever produced by the Bangladeshi cricket team, there were a number of thoughts running in my mind. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous, after all I was going to meet a person who managed to score a century against the likes of Shane Warne and Brett Lee. Flashes of his great batting and his sayings were constantly occurring in my mind. I was so excited that at one point I actually forgot his address and almost entered a wrong building! So after what seemed like ages, I finally got into the correct building and reached the correct floor. With a lot of courage I finally managed to ring the doorbell (I actually pressed it twice by mistake). The door opened and there he was, Shahriar Nafees standing there, very calm and collective. We shook hands and he introduced himself to me, which was obviously not required. I mean, almost the whole country knows who Shahriar Nafees is. After a consistent number of performances in the under 19 and the Bangladesh A team, Shahriar Nafees finally got the chance play for the national side. His debut match was pitted against England. When asked if he was nervous, he replied that chasing a total of 394 on your first one day international can be very nervy. Though he got out on 10 in that match he came back brilliantly with a mature 75 against the Australians in the last match of the Nat west series, thereby showing the selectors that he wasn't a wrong catch.

“Life is quite different now that I am a full fledged cricketer” he says. He goes out a lot lesser and is quite busy training at the field. During his off times he usually is busy studying for his exams in Dhaka University, which are scheduled a bit later specially for him. He still manages to keep up with his studies along with his cricketing career. In a short time, Shariar Nafees who loves to play the cover drive and also loves to field at the slips has already built quite a few land marks in his career. To him however, his most favorite and most memorable innings was against Australia in the recent test series that took place in Bangladesh. He scored 138 runs against a bowling attack that contained bowlers of the highest category. “That was the best moment for me, it was something different” he says. Playing at the highest level of international cricket naturally tends to put any cricketer under pressure and Shahriar Nafees was no different. He says that there is definitely a lot of pressure defending your country, especially because the people of Bangladesh are quite emotional. But pressure is a psychological thing and one can only be free from it by not thinking about it and playing one's own natural game. Well till now he has been quite successful and every successful person has an idol and an inspiration. So was the case with Shahriar Nafees, he says that when he was a kid he loved watching Sachin Tendulkar play, as he grew up Justin Langer, the left-handed Australian opener became his main idol. He further said that it was mainly because of his parents support that he has been able to play for the national side and without their support none of this would have been possible. When asked if there was any bowler in international cricket that he would rather not face, he replied boldly by saying that there are many good bowlers in cricket, but everyone is playable and there is no one that he would rather not face.

By this time I thought of switching the topic away from cricket and decided to ask him a few questions about his other activities. Food is the way to a man's heart and the same goes for Shahriar as he prefers home made food instead of fast food and also neglects going to restaurants. He enjoys hanging out with his friends in his university or has fun in an all night stay over party at his home with all his friends. He loves listening to music, especially to the underground bands of Dhaka; Artcell being one of his favorite bands. He doesn't have much of a hobby, other than listening to music and playing cricket. The one thing that he always does after coming back from a tour is to spend some time and roam around with his girlfriend. Some sportsmen tend to have a specific hairstyle for quite a while, that is not the case with Shahriar as he likes to vary his hair style quite regularly. Neither does he like to be too fancy with his dress up as he prefers to dress as casually as possible.

Still only twenty years of age, Shahriar Nafees has a long way to go in his career. His main aim is to be a consistent player for Bangladesh as long as he plays and he also hopes that he can better his personal performance and can do something special for his team. At the end of the day he gave away a scintillating message for all the rising star readers by saying that “this is an age (teenage) when one should try to do more of the positive things rather than just wasting there times on other unnecessary activities. They should also know how to distinguish between the good and the bad. Most importantly whatever they do, they must get educated in order to be successful in their future lives."

So that was it, a wonderful evening spent with the very talented Shahriar Nafees. I am sure he is not much of a stranger to me or to most of u, now that we know many things about him. Coming up next for him and the Bangladeshi team is the ICC championship trophy and the long awaited World Cup. I on behalf of “the Rising Stars” wish Shahriar Nafees and the whole Bangladeshi cricket team, the very best of luck for their future games.

By Naimul Karim

Source: Rising Stars (http://www.thedailystar.net/rising/2006/08/05/special.htm)

Sovik
August 31, 2006, 06:47 PM
if thats the good news....then I don't know what are the examples of bad news?

if he plays with his injured hand and sit out during WC2007

BagherBacha
August 31, 2006, 07:31 PM
Durjoy lost his place from national team due to his form. he could have lost his place earlier if he wasn't captain. me and my otehr friends were talking abt him like whenever he will loose the captaincy he will loose the place as well and that's what happened. He always score quick 20 and got out and forgot how to bowl. politics wasn't involved there at all.

bidduyt was simply unfit and mehrab started enjoing with fenci. so they got what they deserved. i don't think politics won't play any role selecting the team, it might do little bit on selectors.
Go bd

AsifTheManRahman
September 1, 2006, 09:33 AM
A different type of article about Shahriar Nafees. Check it out:

nice...seems like one of the cooler guys in the side :up:

Some sportsmen tend to have a specific hairstyle for quite a while, that is not the case with Shahriar as he likes to vary his hair style quite regularly.

:up: hairstyles are made to be broken.

by the way, he's not all that elegant. in all fairness, he has a flawed technique, just like the rest of our batsmen (ash excluded, perhaps).

cricket_dorshok
September 1, 2006, 11:19 AM

I read players comment How he use to seat by him self no-body could talk to him with out permission and he was making players work for him and his party whether they liked it or not and there was huge distance between him while captain and the other players. Unfortunately I don't have the link or remember where I read it but I am sure who ever use to follow bd cricket at that time can point you to those time articles...

I also read the same type story in some newspaper about Durjoy's dictatorship.

shujan
September 1, 2006, 04:51 PM
Isn't Shahriar Nafees related to our chief selector Farouq? I hate to point it out. I do not see any sane reason for Shahriar to be our vice captain. Captain need experience. He need to learn how to be a better batsman first. Silmilar experiment with Rajin has produce niether a better batsman nor a better vice captain. Uncle Farouq will destroy Shariars prospect by putting him in a tough position.

Mridul
September 1, 2006, 05:23 PM
Isn't Shahriar Nafees related to our chief selector Farouq? I hate to point it out. I do not see any sane reason for Shahriar to be our vice captain. Captain need experience. He need to learn how to be a better batsman first. Silmilar experiment with Rajin has produce niether a better batsman nor a better vice captain. Uncle Farouq will destroy Shariars prospect by putting him in a tough position.

Shahriar Nafees is Faruq's cousin. (Mamato Bhai). My cousin's friend knows about their family. Faruq also selected Rajin as captain in last champions trophy and Rajin used to play under Faruq's captaincy in City Club.

I was recently chatting with one of my cousins in BD who played with Sakibul Hassan and Mehrab jnr in U-17 level last year. He told me that without connection its hard to get call in national level. He even told me that Mehrab jnr has connection with BCB.

shujan
September 1, 2006, 06:29 PM
Shahriar Nafees is Faruq's cousin. (Mamato Bhai). My cousin's friend knows about their family. Faruq also selected Rajin as captain in last champions trophy and Rajin used to play under Faruq's captaincy in City Club.

I was recently chatting with one of my cousins in BD who played with Sakibul Hassan and Mehrab jnr in U-17 level last year. He told me that without connection its hard to get call in national level. He even told me that Mehrab jnr has connection with BCB.

Shariar is a good player. No doubt about it. He is in the team by his Merit. Mehrab is also qualified for national team. CEO from Zimbabwe I think did a good job making our selection process merit based. Having said that I never understood the rational for Rajin being VC. In professional world bosses will matter. IT happens in every proffession. This selection process should be under scrutiny at all time. Shariar should not be pressured with such responsibility in his 20. It will destroy his batting avg as he still has room for improvement as a batsman.

Bashar had some success as captain because he understand the game. He learned it by playing years after years. Farouq is an idiot. If he wants Shahriar to be a better player then he should relax his responsibility not over expose him by making him VC. Farouq should remember he cannot be chief selector for ever. I think Farouq is a good selector. He can be smarter though.

On a different note, My boss started me giving lighter project in the begining of my job. He gave me enough time to understand our software and what it does. It was quite a while before he introduced me to tougher project on designing software. Initially I thought this guy did not want me in his team . I was totally wrong. He did not want me to set for failure. He gave ample time to build skill naturally. Shariar also needed natural progression.

We do not have good domestic cricket system. Our supply of good national team cricketer will come from under 19. Truth is there is not that many promising player in the supply chain. Our selector should be carefull not to destroy whatever we have.

thebest
September 1, 2006, 10:05 PM
Why we found neopotism in everything. yes Faruq is a cousin of SN. But VC is made by board not by selectors. By the way, age and experince is nothing to do with captaincy. Evrybody agrees Grame Smith is a better captain than Pollock. Mansur Ali patudi who was appointed captain as a 21 yr old kid is considered as the best indian captain before Ganguli. Taibu was a better captain than HB. Even Utseya prove he is better thn Pilot. Smith, Patudi, Taibu, Utseya are all the same age group as SN.
Yes Rajin was a mistake. But it was not board's fault that he can not play with pressure. If board can foresee whetehr one can play with pressure or not ECB or BCCI never made Botham or Tendu as captain. Those two are much better experienced than BCB.
Now what are the alternative.
Rafiq : There is a difference between hard task master and hot tempered. While Imran, Naser Hossain fall in the first group , Rafiq is in the second group. He is very good player, have a good cricket brain. But you need to take out the best from your team mate. With his temper it is doubtful.
Pilot : Read 2003 WC debacle report. Captain shld lead by example. Going to night club before an important match is indeed a good example.
Ash : He did wonder for Sonargaon as captain. But can he lead by example? His place in the team is not secure anymore. Also what I heard, he was one of the cheif instigator of unrest in U 19 WC in New Zealand.
Aftab : He might be an option. But he captained only school team.
Mash : Same as Aftab. But bowlers have to think so many things during fielding, it would higher probabilty of failure than SN. That is the reason there is so few succesful bowling captain. Imran might be the only successful case. Even great Sobers is a failure as a captain.
SN beside captaining the A side has completed courses on captaincy. McInnes alos identified him as a future captain. McInnes is not a fan of him. Remember he dropped him from U19 world cup. Yes captains are born but it is always helpful if you have some training.
Regarding Mehrab jnr - he was the most successful player of U19 world cup. He rarely fail since than in any assignment whether for Dhaka or Bangladesh representative team. If he has connection in BCB why he was not drafted before sakib or Farhad.
This is the grooming process. Why making the water muddy by making some baseless accussion.

BagherBacha
September 2, 2006, 10:57 PM
future bd captain ..SN
Vice Captain .. MR..
write it down