PDA

View Full Version : CB to seal new TV deal

AsifTheManRahman
August 29, 2006, 11:06 AM
BCB acts after lack of progress
Pressure on Bangladesh to sign new TV deal
Cricinfo staff
August 29, 2006
Whereas TV deals are the lifeblood of most countries' boards, it has emerged that the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has not got one in place, even though it only has a little more than two months until it hosts a one-day series in November.
The previous five-year deal with ESPN-STARSport expired last April, and a committee was appointed by the BCB to conclude what were expected to be little more than the formalities of a new contract.
But a report in the Dhaka-based Daily Star claims that the committee has done little and the BCB has been forced to form a new body to get things moving.
"There was a long discussion about the TV deal," explained Mahbubul Anam, the BCB's general secretary, at a media conference. "The previous committee actually was not formalised that's why we formed a new one and we are hopeful that it will work hard to settle the issue as soon as possible, as we have only two months time."
"We can assure everybody that the new deal will be a transparent one because we will award the right in open tender. The committee will first appoint a law consultancy firm to negotiate the deal and it will also be appointed in open tender. We don't want to disclose anything about the deal at the moment."
The man taking the blame for the failure of the old committee to make progress is Reazuddin Al Mamun, the board's media chief. His name was a notable absentee from the new committee, but Mahbubul was unable to answer questions put to him about the reason for that.
"Now everybody is looking forward to see whether the present board under the leadership of Asghar will be able to sign a transparent deal or make a shabby one like the previous one," concluded the report in the Daily Star.
© Cricinfo

Looks like the old committee got lazy, and now they are having to make up for the loss.

Rabz
August 29, 2006, 11:12 AM
all they do is to go to office, warm the seat up, hv a nice cuppa, make few phone calls, read newspaper and then go home.
bunch of lame buggers and loosers.

Hatebreed
August 29, 2006, 11:15 AM
BCB is so lazy & over-confident.

kalpurush
August 29, 2006, 12:24 PM
"We can assure everybody that the new deal will be a transparent one" Mahbubul Anam, the BCB's general secretary

This is an old style to talk to the media by any BCB officials. Even where our "Prodhan Montri" can't assure anything, how could Mr. Anam!?

akabir77
August 29, 2006, 12:43 PM
They r doing this deliberately so that at the last moment they can say oh we couldn't find anyone so we r going with such and such without tender and etc...
this is an old BD trick

SMHasan
August 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
Why not they try for ESPN-STAR again? Just can't believe that previous deal expired in last April but BCB done nothing to do another contract. Bunch of Rubbish. KILL THEM ALL

Tokyobreeze
August 29, 2006, 10:25 PM
বোর্ডের সবাই ঘরের খেয়ে বনের মোষ তাড়িয়ে বেড়ায় । কাজের বেলায় কিছুই করে না । প্রচারসত্ত্ব নিয়েও যদি তালগোল পাকিয়ে ফেলে, এদের দিয়ে তো কিছুই হবে না ।

PoorFan
August 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
The man taking the blame for the failure of the old committee to make progress is Reazuddin Al Mamun, the board's media chief. His name was a notable absentee from the new committee, but Mahbubul was unable to answer questions put to him about the reason for that.
Last year(?) as far I can remember this Al Mamun guy was so vocal against Lobby blaming him trying to sell the TV right to somewhere before previous deal expire, considering not much interest of BCB. Now looks like he was the 'old committee' member but couldn't do anything till now!

Carte Blanche
August 30, 2006, 06:53 PM
Is there a chance that Murdoch's Star is no longer interested in covering BD Cricket? I was under the impression that ESPN-Star would be carrying our cricket much like BBC had for so many decades. They have the regional audience and an edge over any other broadcaster given their territorial history. Who do you think could be Star's biggest competitor? TEN Sports? Or Nimbus?

SMHasan
August 30, 2006, 08:19 PM
Is there a chance that Murdoch's Star is no longer interested in covering BD Cricket? I was under the impression that ESPN-Star would be carrying our cricket much like BBC had for so many decades. They have the regional audience and an edge over any other broadcaster given their territorial history. Who do you think could be Star's biggest competitor? TEN Sports? Or Nimbus?

That I was talking about, STAR could continue and I think they have been approached by the BCB. But there is a concern that they might not be interested to do the production anymore as we are not crowed puller like India.

On the other hand we will be playing India next year and they will be involved in few Tri nation series in our soil in next few years so ESPN-STAR should be interested to come again. Besides they have lost rights to broadcast matches from various parts of the world i.e. West Indies, India, Pakistan, SriLanka and in the neutral venues also. So in this situation Bangladesh is the only remaining potential area in the subcontinent. Considering this they should come again.

Ahmed_B
August 31, 2006, 06:31 AM
In a TV interview, Mahbub Anam was saying that when the previous deal with Star was made... BD's cricket was in a weaker position and because BD is playing better now... the BCB expects to get a much higher deal (in terms of money) this time. So it probably depends on whether Star will offer BCB a higher deal or they have to look for another offer from other Channels.

Rabz
August 31, 2006, 07:30 AM
i dont want to be labelled as an India hater here..but there are lots of politics to be played here.

as Nimbus paid a hefty $612 Million dollars for the right to broadcast Indian cricket, they will make it up with reletively smaller deals with neighbouring countries. i mean relatively in reference to what those boards actually worths.

With India big-bossing over us on pretty much every single aspect of our daily life, plz be assured to know that there will be a govt pressure from India via BD puppets to sign a deal with Nimbus, as they r an Indian based organisation. That is why BCB officials could not "decide" or "act on time" with the new deals. Also given the fact that BD election is early next year with a highly reasonable possibility of changing administrative faces, it will not be safe for any broadcaster to sign a new deal given our past records of new admins coming in dispute with old terms and parties.

With taking smaller countries (compared to India) like SL, BD, Malaysia, and Mid East on a smaller price, Nimbus would try to create a synergy that will in turn increase their revenue. In case they fail to do so, they can always show this "smaller" deals as a loss making business operation to claim on tax deduction and still retain larger profit.
Either way, they win.

But then again, this is all my theory of India playing Big Brother.

Mahir
August 31, 2006, 10:33 PM
I am afraid that Channel I might just strike a deal with BCB.

6alltheway
September 1, 2006, 04:53 PM
how can u go without a contract for that long?? simple amazing.

i cant understand how they didnt sit to negotiate with ESPN-STAR 6 months or 1 year before thier current deal was about to end.

shujan
September 1, 2006, 05:07 PM
We need to go back to importing a CEO for our cricket board. All hell is breaking loose in the managment. Corrupt Bangali sux in managment.

Miraz
September 1, 2006, 05:50 PM
Well, members are too much worried. BCB already has pretty good offer from Nimbus and Ten sports. They are now playing their cards with ESPN Star. IMO, Nimbus will have the final say.

Hatebreed
September 1, 2006, 06:10 PM
Well, members are too much worried. BCB already has pretty good offer from Nimbus and Ten sports. They are now playing their cards with ESPN Star. IMO, Nimbus will have the final say.

Any source?

Miraz
September 1, 2006, 06:58 PM
Any source?

Will be public within a fortnight :)

Hatebreed
September 1, 2006, 07:16 PM

Cool. Thanks for the heads up :up:

SMHasan
September 1, 2006, 09:00 PM

But what is your source?

mij
September 2, 2006, 04:44 AM
What ever happens they got a deal or not, the point is this issue should have been dealt long before expires with ESPN and STARSport last April.