PDA

View Full Version : Who should be our Opener along with SN?

Tigers_eye
August 29, 2006, 02:02 PM
In the last away tour (8 matches) we had the most pathetic outings by our openers. 6 times we failed to cross 22 before losing a wicket. Only one time SN/RS had a partnership of 99 that crossed 40. We must solve this puzzle before the WC if we want to show a decent performance (an upset + Bermuda win).

We have an important tournament coming up and I just want to see what you guys think about our opening pair. We know (God willing) SN will be one. The problem lies who will be the other?

1. Aftab: I doubt he will get any votes. However, we are running out of options. So I included him in this. May be taking advantage of the first 20 restricted overs.

2. Ash: I would like to try him few more times.

3. Rajin: If he is in the team, but we know he is not the answer.

4. Mehrab Jr: I don't think the selectors gave him the chance for nothing. And guess what, he is not as aggressive, explosive as Aftab, Sakib, Sadat - which is a good thing.

5. Sakib: This brings Sakib Al Hasan. But feel if they let him open then Aftab needs to go back to bat at six.

6. Sadat: I know he is not in the team. But the management is keeping a close eye at this kid (sending him to six a side). His stat is better than Mehrab Jr. and he is openning. His strike rate is 70+. In his last 13 innings (Zim A and Pak Academy) he is averaging 50+. In 4 ODI ave is a healthy 61.75 with a SR of 86%, and no notouts to puff up that stats.

7. Others: Rafique, Mashrafe pinch hitting. Since we can't get a stable opener from what we have why not let the dogs out early.

TheWatcher
August 29, 2006, 02:19 PM
Given that matches against SL and WI will be high scoring ones, I think we should take chances with Ash (it is about time he plays his Eid innings, right ?). If he clicks, we win a match. For the last match against Zimbabwe, we should play it safe and bring Rajin back (since he has a relatively better track record against Zim).

So my line up would be-

SN
Ash/Rajin
Aftab
Bashar (or TI, incase Bashar is injured)
Shakib
Reza

Miraz
August 29, 2006, 02:24 PM
I will go with Ashraful. He should be given few more chances as opener. If he fails, we should think about a new face like Sadat or Mehrab.

Rajin is not fit for ODI opening slot. Aftab and Sakib should be in the top/middle order.

cricman
August 29, 2006, 02:34 PM
I liked Ash w/ SN vs Kenya 38 runs in 6 overs! It was a really showed the potental of putting them together so it would go like this.

Ash
SN
Bashar
Sakib
Aftab
Rajin
Mehrab jr
Rafique
Razzaq
Mash
Rasel/Rajib

Spitfire_x86
August 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
If Bashar plays, then we should try Ashraful for few more matches.

Otherwise Mehrab jnr. should be considered as an option.

Sovik
August 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
rajin is slow like javed. mehrab should be given some chances as an opener

AsifTheManRahman
August 29, 2006, 03:17 PM
i still want rajin to open. ash has done relatively better in the middle order, and should stay there. however, with the likes of sakib, farhad and mehrab knocking on the door, the days may be numbered for these two.

Rubu
August 29, 2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
The only possible answer to who should open with SN is of course JO. he is the only possible one

I faked the above quote to make many of the members in this board faint :lol:

kalpurush
August 29, 2006, 04:50 PM
In coming practice matches before Champions Trophy, we could try Mehrab Jr. as an opener. If his performence is excellent or close to, we should go for him. Otherwise, Ashraful is our better option.

BangladeshFan
August 29, 2006, 04:51 PM
i would go with Ash. On his day he can hit the good bowlers and thats exactly wat Bd needs with SN playing as anchor. Besides he is not getting much runs in the middle order anyway. With bashar at 4 and Sakib at 5 Bd´s middle order has a calming influence. If Bashar is not fit I ll go with rajin or tushar. But Rajin is not a good choice as an opener as he doesnt have the capability to go after good opening bowlers. Mehrab is untested yet.

Spitfire_x86
August 29, 2006, 05:01 PM
I faked the above quote to make many of the members in this board faint :lol:
"Rubu wants Alok to open with SN" is more believable :lol:

israr
August 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
Ash will create more pressure in the middle order. I think he can be successful in playing those big shots while he opens the innings. So I vote for him.

thebest
August 29, 2006, 09:08 PM
After the way, Mushy handles the English pacer at Lords and with is weakness againest quality spin, if he plays I want him to open. Otherwise I would take chance with Ash/Aftab. Virtually aftab is now opening in evry match. So why not play him there and open a place at middle order. Though rajin is more level headed, SN-Rajin opening combo would be too slow. Same goes to Mehrab. He is not explosive rather one who works the ball more suited for number 5/6.

SMHasan
August 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
Lets give Ash more chance in the opening slot. He plays a lot airy shot so there is a chance of suceeding in the opening slot rather than in the middle over. Plus he is a stroke player so lets take some pressure off from him and see how he goes. If we let him play his natural destructive game then we might see a different story.

PoorFan
August 29, 2006, 10:00 PM
To me there is none we can leave the opener job in the team. If we put Ash for open he may click 'once' in a 'ten' time, playing ten balls or scoring ten runs, given that his 'low confidence' or 'bad patch' or 'whatever reason'. Which means possibility of losing early wickets is 'high' in every match we play. Should we try him in qualifying round of CT? or in CT? or even against coming Zimbo series? I say NO!

Same could be said with Aftab too. Rather we should try Mehrab in Zimbo series and see his performance, keeping in mind that we must have to settle our opener problem before WC. I always ready to accept the 'pain' of slow batting for the sake of top order 'consistency'.

Navarene
August 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
Seems like I am the only one to vote for Aftas as an opener with Nafees :)

Why then? Only because he is a hard hitter and can take full advantage of the 20 overs field restriction. Ahs is best fit for the middle order, and the selectors have picked Mehrab Jr (who can bowl as well) to strengthen middle order batting. Rajin is no better than JO in the opening slot. Sakib is a new block in ODI arena and pushing him to face the new ball might be an unjust for a new comer like him. All these give only Aftab to open with Nafees. And imagine whats gonna happen if he clicks? BANG!

Tokyobreeze
August 29, 2006, 10:36 PM
I would prefer Ash as the opening partner and Mehrab Jr. as one down.As far we know until now, Mehrab Jr. is said to be a pretty good batsman who don't take unnecessary risks.We need someone like that to make the innings steady.Considering Ash will open, I don't think we need another blaster like Aftab at one-down.Falling of both in quick succession is creating a lot of pressure on our middle-order these days.I would rather play Aftab at No 6.He seems to play with responsibility at the later order when we need run-a-ball and had prominent contriibution at that position in most of our wins against big names.So, my team looks like -

SN
Ash
Mehrab Jr.
Bashar
Farhad
Aftab
Pilot
Rafiq
Razzaque
Mashrafi
Shahadat/Rasel

cricket_pagol
August 29, 2006, 10:53 PM
I would prefer to see in the opening slot and Mehrab down the order. Remember, how he held the U19 middle order together along with M. Rahim. Rajin's days are numbered if Mehrab performs.

Ash takes too much risk, we won't see a good innings from him unless it is his lucky day. He is more like Sehwag... only sehwag is more consistent! I am hoping that the field restrictions will give him more opportunity to freely hit.

kalpurush
August 29, 2006, 11:10 PM
To me there is none we can leave the opener job in the team. If we put Ash for open he may click 'once' in a 'ten' time, playing ten balls or scoring ten runs, given that his 'low confidence' or 'bad patch' or 'whatever reason'. Which means possibility of losing early wickets is 'high' in every match we play. Should we try him in qualifying round of CT? or in CT? or even against coming Zimbo series? I say NO!

Same could be said with Aftab too. Rather we should try Mehrab in Zimbo series and see his performance, keeping in mind that we must have to settle our opener problem before WC. I always ready to accept the 'pain' of slow batting for the sake of top order 'consistency'.

Then whom should we try as an opener with SN for Champions Trophy?!:confused:

Hatebreed
August 29, 2006, 11:30 PM
I voted for Aftab. Ash's opening record is far from acceptable, Aftab is an aggressive batsman and somehow quite successful at that approach. It doesn't need a brain surgeon to decide if his position in the opener spot will be beneficial in terms of getting quick runs, which is what we'll need at some point.

PoorFan
August 29, 2006, 11:41 PM
Then whom should we try as an opener with SN for Champions Trophy?!:confused:
I think Rajin is the best option we have at this moment for qualifying round of CT. <!--StartFragment -->If we get qualified for CT which is very doubtful, that may also mean we will have to play CT with Rajin too. But for WC we should get ready Mehrab to join in.

bapzmania
August 30, 2006, 12:13 AM
Mushfiq was the best among all under-19 players and that’s why he also became the captain of the team and also selected too early and now its really hard time for him to watching that his fellow members of under 19 team making sure their places in national and he is still unsecured for his place in the team...so for opening position Mushfiq or Ashraful should be the first choice

mshakir56
August 30, 2006, 12:45 AM
I would really like to see Ashraful open with nafees. You never know what it might work out.

Mr-Cricket
August 30, 2006, 12:51 AM
Rajin for now. Mehrab eventually.

Rabz
August 30, 2006, 01:05 AM
I liked Ash w/ SN vs Kenya 38 runs in 6 overs! It was a really showed the potental of putting them together so it would go like this.

Ash
SN
Bashar
Sakib
Aftab
Rajin
Mehrab jr
Rafique
Razzaq
Mash
Rasel/Rajib

who is the keeper in this team mate?

id prefer Ash another chance in the opening slot. He needs to find his form! in the game or get booted out. and the last option for him is to try out this position.
also with right/left combination with SN, they SHOULD (in papers) make a good opening pair. he can also play his regular carefree shots and may be get away with it. and after scoring a quick fire 20-30, should know better to slow down and build an innings.

nasifkhan
August 30, 2006, 01:11 AM
where is JO? I want JO to open with SN................

mhferdaus
August 30, 2006, 01:24 AM
I voted for Mehrab Jr.,cuz he could help taking singles while SN goes for odd boundaries, bu Mushfiq could be handy to I do not know. And we migh still need the service of JO, he seems to have a better track record against Aussies and Lankans ( he scored 23 and 42 respectively against them in our win against those two teams ).

baisab
August 30, 2006, 07:28 AM
Rajin for now. Mehrab eventually.

i agree

Tigers_eye
August 30, 2006, 08:36 AM
where is JO? I want JO to open with SN................
Chose others then.

We kind of now know who wants/prefers whom. Folks, let me put a little twist.

Who would bashar, the coach and the manager would choose? Would they take our suggestion?

sadi
August 30, 2006, 09:13 AM
Ash should open with SN. Let him go crazy and play some stupid shots. Kinda like our version of Afridi. He is a bolod and will never learn how to play sensibly. So let him be stupid and see if it works. Mehrab will be the best fit for number 4 where he can rotate the strike and keep the scoreboard moving in the middle overs. Aftab is not that good against spinners so best option for him to come at number 3 and do his thing. He is one of the best batsman we have, atleast technically and hopefully he is not as stupid as Ash is. Bashar should come at number 5 and play the middle overs with Mehrab while Sakib and Forhad can hit the ball out of the ground coming at number 6 and 7.

One thing to add. If we play Mehrab and Sakib together, then either Razzak or Rafiq has to sit. There is no way we should play four left armers in the same game. So I guess Mehrab's inclusion is not a good news for Razzak.

Mr-Cricket
August 30, 2006, 10:44 AM
Ash should open with SN. Let him go crazy and play some stupid shots. Kinda like our version of Afridi. He is a bolod and will never learn how to play sensibly. So let him be stupid and see if it works.

One thing to add. If we play Mehrab and Sakib together, then either Razzak or Rafiq has to sit. There is no way we should play four left armers in the same game. So I guess Mehrab's inclusion is not a good news for Razzak.

If thats the case, then drop Ashraful. Razzak is maturing into a quality bowler, and Rafique is still indispensible.

Mehrab will be the best fit for number 4 where he can rotate the strike and keep the scoreboard moving in the middle overs.
We are desperatly in need of another consistent opener, as well as a genuine number 3 batsman (perhaps the most important position). Bashar will retire in a few years, and we will need a consisent performer in the middle order. Although I havn't seen Mehrab bat, I hope that he will eventually be good enough to fill our vacant number 3 position at this time. In the mean time though, I hope to see him eased up from number 6, into the opening slot to give players like Tamim Iqbal (whom I believe may be our answer) a few years to mature/develop.

Aftab is not that good against spinners so best option for him to come at number 3 and do his thing. He is one of the best batsman we have, atleast technically and hopefully he is not as stupid as Ash is.

Bashar should come at number 5 and play the middle overs with Mehrab while Sakib and Forhad can hit the ball out of the ground coming at number 6 and 7.
A number 3 batsman must be capable of batting through an Innings & turning over the strike at regular intervals. At the moment, Bashar is the only batsman capable of this. I can't see Mehrab getting a game at this stage. However when he is eventually given the opportunity, I want him to be eased into the squad at number 6. Here is my preference:

Rajin
Nafees
Bashar
Aftab
Sakib
Farhad
Rahim
Rafique
Mortaza
Razzak
Rasel/Shahadat

In all likeliness, however, Bashar will pull out of the upcoming tournament through Injury. In this case, I would approve of Aftab retaining his current number 3 position, Sakib at 4, and one of Ashraful or Tushar Imran (preferably Tushar) batting at 5. I don't want to see Sakib, Farhad, Mehrab & Rahim in the same squad. Well not at this stage anyway. Lack of choices, however, will mean Rajin retains his position & one of Ashraful, Tushar or Kapali is given another opportunity. :down:

rudro
August 30, 2006, 10:51 AM
I would have liked it to be a multiple answer poll. I vote for Nazmus Sadat but I am sure Mehrab also qualifies.

For those of you who want Ash as an opener - in what qualification does ASH get a chance in the first 11? Three back to back 50s (including 1 century) in one series make him a lifetime member of Bangladesh team? With his current form he does not deserve to be in our team. He is now where he belongs (Para cricket). PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF THE TEAM, LEAVE HIM OUT FOR ONE WHOLE SERIES.

Tigers_eye
August 30, 2006, 10:58 AM
...PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF THE TEAM, LEAVE HIM OUT FOR ONE WHOLE SERIES.
Shamney rojar mash. Be in forgiving mode lol. What if we receive an eid gift. That would make us qualify for the CT. hehehe!! I know bring my humble pie now, please.

mhferdaus
August 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
Shamney rojar mash. Be in forgiving mode lol. What if we receive an eid gift. That would make us qualify for the CT. hehehe!! I know bring my humble pie now, please.

remembering the old ad : jodi laigga jaay :D.

sadi
August 30, 2006, 11:23 AM
We are desperatly in need of another consistent opener, as well as a genuine number 3 batsman (perhaps the most important position). Bashar will retire in a few years, and we will need a consisent performer in the middle order. Although I havn't seen Mehrab bat, I hope that he will eventually be good enough to fill our vacant number 3 position at this time. In the mean time though, I hope to see him eased up from number 6, into the opening slot to give players like Tamim Iqbal (whom I believe may be our answer) a few years to mature/develop.

I am not sure Mehrab is the right fit for number 3... Number 3 is usually occupied by the best batsman in the team which is either Bashar or Aftab at this moment. Number 3 usually have the ability to tear apart any bowling attack and Mehrab is not that kind of a batsman. He is more of a accumulator who will play through the middle overs. Eventhough he plays opening often, I always see him as a middle order batsman. Openers should be flushy as well just like you mentioned about Tamim. Till he is ready, Ash can do the job. Rajin is too slow for opening. We should give Ash couple of chances in the top of the order. This is where he fits the best. If it doesn't work out, then we can think about the alternatives.

cricket_dorshok
August 30, 2006, 11:25 AM
khati kotha!!!!! laigga gele 1 eid e CT.

Rabz
August 31, 2006, 07:34 AM
khati kotha!!!!! laigga gele 1 eid e CT.

khali Eid bhai?? Eid er upor lal shukro bar.

Mahir
August 31, 2006, 10:17 PM
If Javed does infact get the axe, the management will most likely send Rajin up with Nafees. On a second thought, even though this Champions Trophy may not be the best place to introduce Mehrab jnr as Nafees' opening partner for the future, but why not ?
I voted for him and I am definitely keen to see how he handles himself out in the middle at the highest level of cricket.

Tigers_eye
September 1, 2006, 09:10 AM
Opening with so little experience when the ball swings and facing some of the best swing bowlers (Vass) would put too much pressure on Mehrab. If he comes in the middle order and let Ash or Rajin open could be a good introduction for his international career.

thebest
September 1, 2006, 10:57 AM
Opening with so little experience when the ball swings and facing some of the best swing bowlers (Vass) would put too much pressure on Mehrab. If he comes in the middle order and let Ash or Rajin open could be a good introduction for his international career.
You are right. It might be a permanent scar like Hannan. but on the other hand, if he won the battle (with Vass's current form and if we bat second, it might be), then we could have get our opening pair for the foreseeable future.
But I still believe Rahim could be a good choice, better choice than Golla. He already baptism of fire againest the best artist of swing Hoggard, and faced Harmi, Flintu and jones quite admirably in England. The cricinfo quote on that innings

Mushfiqur, the fairytale debutant, played resourcefully late and remained obvious to the crumbling going on around him, until Hoggard extracted him with the ball of the innings. His example is the one that his team-mates must follow - giving their best until they succumb to superior opposition.
If selected (which I doubt) he should open; I dont want him to face Murali before he get settled.

Mr-Cricket
September 1, 2006, 10:59 AM
None of our youngsters should be opening the batting (or bowling for that matter) at this stage. End of story.

TheWatcher
September 1, 2006, 11:59 AM
None of our youngsters should be opening the batting (or bowling for that matter) at this stage. End of story.
Wondering what you meant by this. If we are to follow your advice, we have to call back Athahar to partner JO, and bench Rasel, Rajib, and Mashrafe to make way for Shanta-Monju.

Mr-Cricket
September 1, 2006, 12:25 PM
Wondering what you meant by this. If we are to follow your advice, we have to call back Athahar to partner JO, and bench Rasel, Rajib, and Mashrafe to make way for Shanta-Monju.
The players coming through from the U19's squad.

E.g. Sakib, Farhad, Mushifiqur, Mehrab & co

I didn't think it was that hard to understand?

DotBall
September 1, 2006, 12:53 PM
I will go with Mehrab Jr. SN can take the attack to the bowlers, but we can not start loosing wicket within the first 10 overs.
No Ash please, not even in the squad.

TheWatcher
September 1, 2006, 03:19 PM
The players coming through from the U19's squad.

E.g. Sakib, Farhad, Mushifiqur, Mehrab & co

I didn't think it was that hard to understand?
Oh, you meant rookies who just came in the team. When you say youngsters that means everyone in the team except 3/4 players.

Well, I think Shakib and Farhad should be left alone in the middle order where they are doing fine, but I won't mind seeing Mehrab Jr (even though I did not vote for him either) in place of Rajin (a very limited cricketer and should be considered a stop gap option only) for a match or two.

Mr-Cricket
September 1, 2006, 10:53 PM
Oh, you meant rookies who just came in the team. When you say youngsters that means everyone in the team except 3/4 players.

Well, I think Shakib and Farhad should be left alone in the middle order where they are doing fine, but I won't mind seeing Mehrab Jr (even though I did not vote for him either) in place of Rajin (a very limited cricketer and should be considered a stop gap option only) for a match or two.
Yep, sorry about the misunderstanding. I agree with what you've just said. The thing is, we could give Mehrab a chance to open in a few matches to see if he is any more capable than JO, Rajin (which he no doubt will be) but its just that I can't see the selectors doing so. Rajin, I very much like as a Test Match player, but in the shorter game, he isn't so much slow as he does not have the ability to work the ball around for 1's and 2's. Hits some lovely strokes straight to fielders on too many occasions, thus building up frustration which ultimately leads to his dismissal.

Warlock
September 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
Well, just putting it in as a wildcard- what about sending Farhad Reza to open?

fuzzy
September 3, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ash
SN
Bashar
Sakib
Aftab
Mehrab jr
khaled mashud
Rafique
Razzaq
Mash
Rasel/Rajib

rajib would like 2 see rajib than russel.
if its fast bowling track we can take out razzaque, but all other times razib should be instead off rasel.

Spitfire_x86
September 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
Well, just putting it in as a wildcard- what about sending Farhad Reza to open?
shh...don't give them ideas. Our team mangement is already keen enough to destroy his career (e.g. making him opening the bowling)

PoorFan
September 5, 2006, 01:32 AM
So far... Ash 33%, Rajin 20%, Mehrab 27% ... which actually means ...

At this moment BD team as well as we dont have currect / perfect answer.

mhferdaus
September 5, 2006, 10:28 PM
it is all about the mindset of the players and the pitches they are going to play on, and it is upto management to be the perfect johuri ...

kalpurush
September 5, 2006, 11:13 PM
I am not sure Mehrab is the right fit for number 3... Number 3 is usually occupied by the best batsman in the team which is either Bashar or Aftab at this moment. Number 3 usually have the ability to tear apart any bowling attack and Mehrab is not that kind of a batsman. He is more of a accumulator who will play through the middle overs. Eventhough he plays opening often, I always see him as a middle order batsman. Openers should be flushy as well just like you mentioned about Tamim. Till he is ready, Ash can do the job. Rajin is too slow for opening. We should give Ash couple of chances in the top of the order. This is where he fits the best. If it doesn't work out, then we can think about the alternatives.

:up:
Mehrab might be good in # 5 for ODI and opener in Test. If Ashraful doesn't click as an opener in ODI, then we could try Mehrab.