PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is not an excuse

Tigers_eye
September 5, 2006, 10:57 AM
In life or in sports (cricket), one can not hide under the cloak of ignorance. With all the drama went on (still going on) in the Eng-Pak series, I must raise the question to our players, do they know the games law by heart? At least the ones that matters?

On 3rd ODI Eng-Pak, sky cameras picked up Shoaib on scratching on the ball. It may have been that he was just cleaning the ball. But that is a no-no. If you see something on the ball, one must let the umpires know and let them decide what to do with the ball and how to clean it. Does our players know these detailed rules? I don't want our team to be labelled as a cheat at any times.

Can someone ask Dav about this since he is the coach?

Nasif
September 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
My question is why do you have scratch and clean? You can just clean by polishing the ball on your trousers. Thats the safe way to clean.

Rabz
September 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
My question is why do you have scratch and clean? You can just clean by polishing the ball on your trousers. Thats the safe way to clean.

The safe way to clean is to put in Washing machine, add half spoon of washing detergent, turn the machine to "light" load and wait few minutes.

i bet the ball would come out real clean.
as good as what they call it?? oh yeah... virgin cherry.(damn, that doesnt sound good at all)

kalpurush
September 5, 2006, 11:29 AM
[quote=Tigers_eye]In life or in sports (cricket), one can not hide under the cloak of ignorance. With all the drama went on (still going on) in the Eng-Pak series, I must raise the question to our players, do they know the games law by heart? At least the ones that matters?

On 3rd ODI Eng-Pak, sky cameras picked up Shoaib on scratching on the ball. It may have been that he was just cleaning the ball. But that is a no-no. If you see something on the ball, one must let the umpires know and let them decide what to do with the ball and how to clean it. Does our players know these detailed rules? I don't want our team to be labelled as a cheat at any times.

We wouldn't be...for sure as we are not Paki. Our player have high moral and never took the shortcut path to win a game. After all cricket is an gentlemen's game to our players.:lol:

SMHasan
September 5, 2006, 03:17 PM
The safe way to clean is to put in Washing machine, add half spoon of washing detergent, turn the machine to "light" load and wait few minutes.

i bet the ball would come out real clean.
as good as what they call it?? oh yeah... virgin cherry.(damn, that doesnt sound good at all)

:) :) :) :) :)

nightwatchman
September 5, 2006, 04:00 PM
what is light load detergent and finally what is a washing machine?
amader kaajer boua?

Hatebreed
September 5, 2006, 04:48 PM
It looked like a flick of his thumb but he's gotta be a fool to tamper the ball under present climate. Now the question is whether it was the seam or a squashed bug. Make up your own minds and wait for the verdict.

Fazal
September 5, 2006, 04:56 PM
Now the question is whether it was the seam or a squashed bug. Make up your own minds and wait for the verdict.

I think its a matter of time Shoaib will be a squashed bug. The Cameras are now on every thing. They just spotted Razzak wearing a cap under his helmet, he will be hit will five ODI game ban, Shoaib will be hit by 6 ODI games. And now they are reviewing from last game how Inzy can take 3 runs couple of times, he must have been using some illigal padding in his shoes.

baisab
September 5, 2006, 07:57 PM
I think the main question you need to ask why were they zooming into the players as they were in todays match? i did see the clips that Tigers_eye is reffering to and they really peed me off when i saw them. it made something normal look malicious.

if like you say the ball needs to be evaluated everytime by the umpire rather than the players the game would be called 2DI. i think the people in sky are doing this deliberately to give air into this already heated issue and assist ICC and ECB to find dirt against Pakistan.

Hatebreed
September 5, 2006, 08:16 PM
I think its a matter of time Shoaib will be a squashed bug. The Cameras are now on every thing. They just spotted Razzak wearing a cap under his helmet, he will be hit will five ODI game ban, Shoaib will be hit by 6 ODI games. And now they are reviewing from last game how Inzy can take 3 runs couple of times, he must have been using some illigal padding in his shoes.

oh no Inzy just scratched his butt! les cheateur! :lol:

baisab
September 5, 2006, 08:20 PM
Akhtar under the TV spotlight
Cricinfo staff
September 5, 2006

Shoaib Akhtar was in the spotlight as Sky Sports drew attention to him working on the ball during the ODI at The Rose Bowl.

The pictures, which were replayed several times in close-up, appeared to show Akhtar flicking his thumb at the ball as he walked back to his mark. It is quite possible that Shoaib was removing mud or dirt from the ball, but if so that is still illegal as only the umpire can do so. The incident did not appear to be seen by either official.

Former England captain Michael Atherton, who was commentating for Sky at the time, invited the viewers to: "make your own minds up" after watching the footage. Nasser Hussain said: "At best he's been very, very silly. To do that in the present climate is stupid."

It now remains to be seen whether the match referee takes any further action after seeing the replays. The irony is that once again that person is Mike Procter, who was in the same role at The Oval and whose seeming lack of decisive action then is sure to be under the spotlight when the ICC eventually holds its Code of Conduct hearing.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/258740.html

SMHasan
September 5, 2006, 08:23 PM
Just watched the highlites on five. The camera was zooming on Shoaib Akhtar scratching the ball although it looked unintentional.

Hatebreed
September 5, 2006, 08:24 PM
I think the main question you need to ask why were they zooming into the players as they were in todays match? i did see the clips that Tigers_eye is reffering to and they really peed me off when i saw them. it made something normal look malicious.

if like you say the ball needs to be evaluated everytime by the umpire rather than the players the game would be called 2DI. i think the people in sky are doing this deliberately to give air into this already heated issue and assist ICC and ECB to find dirt against Pakistan.

It also seemed that way and the commentator kept saying let's watch that again.. It not even that Shoaib was covering the ball, he did whatever he did by holding the ball visibly high while walking back to his bowling end, a time when cameras and spectators can be naturally focused on him. After all he's the world's fastest bowler, and so far most successful and exciting bowler in this tournament. So if I had intention to tamper the ball under present circumstances I would have to be a ret****d child who got dropped on the head at birth.

rudro
September 5, 2006, 09:45 PM
Just watched the highlites on five. The camera was zooming on Shoaib Akhtar scratching the ball although it looked unintentional.
Comrade, once Shahid Afridi damaged the pitch during England's tour to pakistan quite 'unintentionally' and got one test ban.

sadi
September 6, 2006, 08:00 AM
lol. Shoaib did get four wickets the other day to destroy England. He had to pay that price someway or another. British media is really something.

MarufH
September 6, 2006, 08:56 AM

:up::up: well said

LateCut
September 6, 2006, 01:10 PM
It is quite possible that Shoaib was removing mud or dirt from the ball, but if so that is still illegal as only the umpire can do so. The incident did not appear to be seen by either official. Former England captain Michael Atherton, who was commentating for Sky at the time, invited the viewers to: "make your own minds up" after watching the footage. Pat Murphy, on Radio 5 Live, accused Sky of "power without responsibility". However, Nasser Hussain, analysing the incident after the innings, was more critical: "At best he's been very, very silly. To do that in the present climate is stupid."

BTW, why this thread is here? I am not complaining but just wondering!

Fazal
September 6, 2006, 01:15 PM
Pat Murphy, on Radio 5 Live, accused Sky of "power without responsibility"....

and now LateCut of banglacricket is accusing Tigers_eye of "posting thread without any relevancy"

Hatebreed
September 6, 2006, 01:21 PM
Akhtar cleared of wrongdoing
Cricinfo staff
September 5, 2006

Shoaib Akhtar and the rest of the Pakistan team were cleared of any wrongdoing after a controversial incident during the third one-day international against England at the Rose Bowl.

Pictures from Sky Sports appeared to show Akhtar flicking his thumb at the ball as he walked back to his mark, but Mike Procter, the match referee, issued a statement saying that no action would be taken: "After viewing television footage the match umpires have decided no action should be taken against any Pakistan players."

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/258740.html

A good and timely decision before the matter was further sensationalised by the media :up:

Mahir
September 6, 2006, 03:22 PM
Getting back to the initial question raised by Mr. Eye (which, I think, is very relevant within a not-so relevant topic!)

I do believe our players know the rulebook quite well.. if not the smallest of details. They are playing in a country's national team, and its not local club cricket. They've been playing at the highest national level and international level for enough time to know the rules and laws, atleast the ones that would matter on any given play.
Well, thats just my feeling on our players..

SMHasan
September 6, 2006, 08:49 PM
Pat Murphy, on Radio 5 Live, accused Sky of "power without responsibility"....

and now LateCut of banglacricket is accusing Tigers_eye of "posting thread without any relevancy"

Fazal bhai, this thread is not that irrelevant at all cause Tigers_eye bhai wanted to raise a serious question 'do our cricketers understand the game very well?'. It is a very good and important question indeed.

The reason why we can't perform according to our expectation, is our inability to understand the game properly. It is not about understanding all the definitions or understanding what is innings, wicket etc but it is about learning how to take a decision in the correct time, learning how to approach the game.

Flip Master Mick
September 9, 2006, 05:10 AM
we still haven't got our basics right and we are talking about intricate issues like ball tampering... give me a ****ing break, will ya? first learn how to reverse swing for crying out loud. god bless the pakis.