PDA

View Full Version : New Age: BKSP man leads race for Tigers’ manager

TheWatcher
September 12, 2006, 02:56 PM
Staff Correspondent

Flight Lieutenant Harunur Rashid (retd), the assistant director general of BKSP, is leading the race to become the new permanent manager of the Bangladesh cricket team, said a highly-placed source of the Bangladesh Cricket Board on Monday.

The BCB has short-listed three candidates for the post, all whom are reportedly retired military officers, but has yet to make the final appointment. The appointment could be finalised today.

The BCB had interviewed at least eight candidates including two former national captains before making the short-list.

Former director general of BKSP, Lt Colonel MA Latif (retd) was the last manager of the Tigers in a permanent capacity before chief selector Faruque Ahmed and former national captain Shafiqul Haque held the post temporarily.

Link (http://www.newagebd.com/2006/sep/13/spt.html)

Fazal
September 12, 2006, 03:13 PM
What's wrong with continue giving an ex-national player like Shafiqul Haque more chance in the Manager position. Why it always have to be retired military officers? Whats wrong with our country?

sadi
September 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
I read it somewhere players didn't like Hira's interfearence with the team decisions and everything. Hira and Dav weren't on good terms and Hira had to leave.

Tigers_eye
September 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
.... Whats wrong with our country?
Nothing. If he held the post of Assistant Director General for BKSP he should be a qualified person. Our ex-captains/ex-vice captains don't know much about managing. They had very little tours themselves to be called as experienced ones.

Fazal
September 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
I read it somewhere players didn't like Hira's interfearence with the team decisions and everything. Hira and Dav weren't on good terms and Hira had to leave.

Well if not Heera, I am pretty sure they could have found someone from the pool of ex-national players who could fill that post. Based on the report they suggested, there were 3 candidates and all of them are ex-army officers. And to me thats smells like something is rotten in the process.

TheWatcher
September 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think the main reason Hira can't stay as the manager is that he opened his mouth to the media, against DW, too often. That was a very bad show of professionalism.

BCB picking a military person as the next manager may be the indication that they are still quite not satisfied with the players' off field discipline. Remember, the team is going to Trinidad next March.

Miraz
September 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think it's a good move. We need someone with experinece and ability who can discipline our boys.

I hope he maintains a low profile in the media and works for the team.

Fazal
September 12, 2006, 03:40 PM
Nothing. If he held the post of Assistant Director General for BKSP he should be a qualified person. Our ex-captains/ex-vice captains don't know much about managing. They had very little tours themselves to be called as experienced ones.

Sure Assistant Director General for BKSP he should be a qualified person. However as I mentioned before, all three candidates are ex-amry officers thats troubling.

I don't buy into this rubbish that our ex-national players don't know much about managing. How do we know that Our ex-captains/ex-vice captains don't know much about managing? Based on some news or what? So suddenly our new-reportes became the evaluator of leadership then? How much do we know whats going on inside BCB that we are so sure that Our ex-captains/ex-vice captains don't know much and only ex-army officers knows much.

And about too little experience, you never get any unless you are given opportunity. So this kind of logic doesn't add any value to me.

Tigers_eye
September 12, 2006, 03:57 PM
...I don't buy into this rubbish that our ex-national players don't know much about managing. How do we know that Our ex-captains/ex-vice captains don't know much about managing? Based on some news or what? So suddenly our new-reportes became the evaluator of leadership then? How much do we know whats going on inside BCB that we are so sure that Our ex-captains/ex-vice captains don't know much and only ex-army officers knows much.

And about too little experience, you never get any unless you are given opportunity. So this kind of logic doesn't add any value to me.

I don't know much just speculating. The leak of info to the media by Hira. Most of the ex-cricketers can't keep their mouth shut. Even the current ones. And the reporters would be a little apprehensive in approaching an ex army officer. Let alone barrage him with tricky questions to speculate what is going on with the team and publish reports. May be that was behind the thinking process and the discipline part that thewatcher just mentioned.

Speculative media reports stirs up everything even in BC. Then the board has to do damage control like lunch with everyone.

Fazal
September 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Well I will argue that it’s the coach and the captains who has much to do with disciplining the team than the manager. Actually it became more as a headache free job where you can go to foreign countries for pleasure trips with other people’s money. Just look at the other teams in Bangladesh including soccer. It became dream job for people who have links and they fight with each other to get that job. The problem with heera may be he took his job too seriously and opened his mouth too often and said to the media what he honestly thought.

My guess.... dealing with cricketers... military leadership will be less effective with our national players (unlike our age-grouped teams). Experience as ex-national players is more important than military experience, in my opinion.

How many other test countries are tapping ex-army officers as their national team manager? My guess is very few. Why is that? Every thing has some reason right?

TheWatcher
September 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Another thing is that our selectors are unofficially part of the team management. According to Prothom-Alo, DW calls them to discuss team matters even when they are not physically present with the team. In this situation, having another ex-player in the management (who will most probably have his own agenda) may create conflicts. This is a big reason I think BCB is picking more of an administrative person who will have little interest to meddle with the team selection.

Stumped
September 12, 2006, 06:48 PM
Hmmm, having an ex player may not be the best idea. These guys are a team and become friends some extreamly close and some maybe just good friends. If one of them were to become manager how could they inforce rules on friends... it would be harder. In lanka they had an ex military/army person as manager Ajith i think his name was(can't really rememeber) and he did not do so bad. These guys when on tour, well let me just say it is probably not the best idea. Who knows though they may just do it and ill stand corrected...

SMHasan
September 12, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hmmm, having an ex player may not be the best idea. These guys are a team and become friends some extreamly close and some maybe just good friends. If one of them were to become manager how could they inforce rules on friends... it would be harder. In lanka they had an ex military/army person as manager Ajith i think his name was(can't really rememeber) and he did not do so bad. These guys when on tour, well let me just say it is probably not the best idea. Who knows though they may just do it and ill stand corrected...

Good point stumped. But at the same time a person needs to have a good understanding of the game and the pscychology.

Stumped
September 12, 2006, 09:02 PM
Good point stumped. But at the same time a person needs to have a good understanding of the game and the pscychology.

yeah i get what ur saying... but as fans you guys know alot right... ok so maybe there is alot on the inside and how things really go sometimes u dont... anyways the point im gettin to is alot of peop im sure will have a good understanding of the game and well the pscychology part well i dunno really how much a manager has to do with all that... he just has to make sure things run smoothly and everything is set up etc etc.. i guess its something to look into...

SMHasan
September 12, 2006, 09:07 PM
yeah i get what ur saying... but as fans you guys know alot right... ok so maybe there is alot on the inside and how things really go sometimes u dont... anyways the point im gettin to is alot of peop im sure will have a good understanding of the game and well the pscychology part well i dunno really how much a manager has to do with all that... he just has to make sure things run smoothly and everything is set up etc etc.. i guess its something to look into...

Pscychology plays a big part in cricket stumped. For example if any player goes through tough time then its both the manager and the coach's responsibility to motivate him, to push him. It's their duty to help the player to overcome his problems as the player may be morally down. This is where the management need to understand the pscychology. After all cricket is more of a mental rather than a physical game.

PoorFan
September 12, 2006, 09:52 PM
BCB doing their job well. Management experience should be the key to select a team manager, it's simple as that.

Stumped
September 12, 2006, 09:53 PM
Pscychology plays a big part in cricket stumped. For example if any player goes through tough time then its both the manager and the coach's responsibility to motivate him, to push him. It's their duty to help the player to overcome his problems as the player may be morally down. This is where the management need to understand the pscychology. After all cricket is more of a mental rather than a physical game.

yes it is a mental game... but when it comes to the manager the players don't really go to them to talk... they have each other, meaning the players... the manager is more of a person of authority... the room u sneak past at night when u broke curfew or quiet walking past incase he comes out and tell everyone to settle down...

Rabz
September 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
i think having an ex-military personnel as a team manager is not a bad idea. Those militaries have a very strong disciplines and knows how to implement authority over the sub-ordinates.

Manager should be someone who knows how to manage and a quick learner can always adopt himself/herself in the given situation, no matter which industry they work in. Also a lot of this ex-army people have hv this administrative skills as they worked in their respective fields. I have personally seen a few of them and was honestly impressed. Most of the time, the managers would have to undertake the jobs that would involve non-cricketing issue, so i dont see the big problem as why someone outside the industry cant take the position.

Also agree with Stumped, having a ex player can be a problem for the team, esp in our part of the world, cuz u have the chance of nepotism. If you dont know anyone, u cant really do one of them any "especial" favour.

For technical aspect, u always have coach and fellow players.

As long as this guy DOES NOT speak urdu in paki and does a recent job in maintaining the cohesiveness of the team, which includes having a good working relationship with everybody in the team (incl coach, physio, techy guy), i will not be complaining.

Let us wait and see what happens.

Tokyobreeze
September 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
For manager the one and only task will be to manage properly.If he can arrange things properly, keep proper correspondence and ensure that the team don't have any problem regarding the lodging, practice and food, I will be very happy with the manager.Recent days, we have seen that loads of problems related to team's Hotel and stuff coming in the newspaper.That's the reason for replacing Hira, I guess.

I don't think the reason for appointing a manager from Army will be to impose strict discipline on team, rather it should be that probably the managing skill of an Army person with experience of management will be far better than an ex-national team captain.

At the end of the day, we all want our team to perform.And, some of the ingredients for the Players' to perform well are good nights sleep,good food and smooth training sessions.A good Manager can take proper care of those things.

akabir77
September 13, 2006, 08:22 AM
For manager the one and only task will be to manage properly.If he can arrange things properly, keep proper correspondence and ensure that the team don't have any problem regarding the lodging, practice and food, I will be very happy with the manager.Recent days, we have seen that loads of problems related to team's Hotel and stuff coming in the newspaper.That's the reason for replacing Hira, I guess.

I don't think the reason for appointing a manager from Army will not be to impose strict discipline on team, rather it should be that probably the managing skill of an Army person with experience of management will be far better than an ex-national team captain.

At the end of the day, we all want our team to perform.And, some of the ingredients for the Players' to perform well are good nights sleep,good food and smooth training sessions.A good Manager can take proper care of those things.

to add to that people will think twice before doing anything cause we all r scared off army....
And also army people can scream so they can get things done..:D if only they knew what to do.. I mean I hard they lose their brian cause they salute so much with the bang on one leg...:-/

Fazal
September 13, 2006, 11:40 AM
Hmmm, having an ex player may not be the best idea. These guys are a team and become friends some extreamly close and some maybe just good friends.
Not necessarily true, it all depends. If the ex-player you choose is from his own generation or he played with the current team members, it may be true.... but if you choose an ex-player from older generation or who didn't played with the current players then its not an issue. For example for ChaCha (Khaled Masud) it may be still an issue, but for Hira or Rakibul or someone in his generation, its not an issue.

Those militaries have a very strong disciplines and knows how to implement authority over the sub-ordinates.
Manager should be someone who knows how to manage and a quick learner can always adopt himself/herself in the given situation, no matter which industry they work in.
You are assuming that military people have a very strong discipline. There are some truth into it, but its still debatable whether its always true. because some one can also give example Mr. Latif or our ex Home Minister Altaf (??) as people who are exactly opposite to that.
And about military and "quick learner" or "fast thinker"? Well even its kind of gross generalization, the myth is those two are mutually exclusive. Even in USA, working with some ex-military people, my experience is not so promising. My experience with them in IT field is they are strict disciplinarian as long as rule of engagement is clear and well defined, it doesn't work well when it's not that clear and require to use your brain-cells to resolve the issue.

BCB doing their job well. Management experience should be the key to select a team manager, it's simple as that.
I don’t know how you can say that with so much confidence. Isn't it little bit pre-mature? For example Harunur Rashid (retd), is the assistant director general of BKSP, which is a good sign; but at this moment we don't know anything more than that. We don't know how successful administrator he was. We cannot assume BKSP was successful beacuse of him or for other executives in BKSP. Its like, for example, if BCB announces ex-manager Latif as CEO of BCB, we proclaim its a good move because Latif was the ex-manager of Bangladesh cricket team and BCB's overall performance was decent. I guess you see my point of coming to conclusion too early without knowing the whole situation.

Rabz
September 13, 2006, 11:50 AM
Fazal mate, understand your reasons to be skeptic over the manager issue. u do hv valid points but i guess we have to wait and see how he turns out to be.
after all, given his past track records, we can ASSUME that he would do a decent job. if not, he is always replacable. also manager is not the MOST BIGGEST issue on the team, its an important one, but on a different note.

and i guess most of us wanted to welcome him as we (and you also im sure) are tired of criticizing BCB officials for every move they make. so let welcome this one and see what happens next.

IF he starts to speak Urdu, i'll be the first one to put my gum boot on and kick his back side of the team.

kalpurush
September 13, 2006, 02:33 PM
Remember, the team is going to Trinidad next March.

Whoo La! La!!?!:cool:

TheWatcher
September 14, 2006, 10:49 AM
The BCCB is pleased to announce the appointment of Flight Lieutenant (Retd.) Mohammad Harunoor Rashid Bhuiyan as Team Operations Manager.

Mr. Bhuiyan has 18 years of experience in senior management level service for the Bangladesh Air Force and the Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protisthan (BKSP).

He has been the Assistant Director of BKSP since 1998 and has acted as manager of the BKSP cricket team and other sports teams at national and international competitions.

Mr. Bhuiyan is an accomplished swimmer and has also played handball, cricket and football.

He holds an MBA degree and has a post graduate degree in physical education and a post graduate diploma in sports psychology.

- TC Media Release

* He has a diploma in sports psychology ! Sounds promising :lol:

Fazal
September 14, 2006, 10:54 AM
Mr. Bhuiyan is an accomplished swimmer and has also played handball, cricket and football.

He holds an MBA degree and has a post graduate degree in physical education and a post graduate diploma in sports psychology.

- TC Media Release

Thats a good news. Now I feel more confortable that he is an ex-sportsman as well as he have MBA degree & post graduate degree in PE. Hopefully he will not be an out-of-touch another ex-military man.

Rabz
September 14, 2006, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a very competant and knowledgeable guy, lets see what he does.

rudro
September 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
My take on any army personnel was that they know nothing other than command and discipline (no offence intended). To them, you are a slave first and then a person in any rank. That part worries me a lot. But the part that
"He holds an MBA degree and has a post graduate degree in physical education and a post graduate diploma in sports psychology."
is really encouraging, especially sports psych part.

Tigers_eye
September 15, 2006, 08:51 AM
There is a huge difference between Flight Lieutenant (Air Force) and captain (Army) (same ranks).

akabir77
September 15, 2006, 10:15 AM
as usual prothom-alo put on a negative report on his appointment funny thing is they were full of praise on latif. but i remember correctly they were on to him at his appointment too.
I really like the last line where they says he got this and that education and tini ekshatey football, shatar cricket ey parodorshi NAKI. Why did they put that naki there? don't they have resources to find out where he was or not and report that. instead they just tried to play with peoples head.. stupid and guess who is the writer? Mr. tareq from zimbabwe....
My thing is let him perform and then say he is not doing so and so... And why is always the xplayers r angry and talk with them without any name? they r x players so bcb can't do anything to them if they really...

Miraz
September 15, 2006, 03:40 PM
Prothom - Alo is continuing negative report about newly appointed Manager.Todays report contains some serious allegations against him.

Detail report (http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MzA2NA==&mid=OA==)

Fazal
September 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
Prothom - Alo is continuing negative report about newly appointed Manager.Todays report contains some serious allegations against him.

Detail report (http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news.details.php?nid=MzA2NA==&mid=OA==)

Wow !!! These are really serious allegation. If true, its really a bad news for anyone associated with BCB. If false, Prothom Alo should be sued by BCB and newly appointed manager.

In any case this allegation needs to be taken seriously and resolved one way or another.

akabir77
September 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
why the hell we have to do these shojon pretty on these very imp post? its not like they will earn extra money by doing so??? I agree with fazal either they prove prothom-alo wrong and sue them or chg this idiot.
AT last a good reporting by prothom-alo. but instead of these here-say can't they do a little bit more investigation may be put a copy of the certificate in the paper or something. I hope they pursue this and see the end of it. else if they stop reporting on this we have to understand either they took kick backs from bcb and new manager or they were making up stories

TheWatcher
September 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
DS: Appointment of manager stirs up trouble (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/09/17/d60917040430.htm)

The selection of flight lieutenant (retd) Mohammed Harunoor Rashid Bhuiyan as the national team's operations manager last Thursday has created quite a stir and put the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) in a limbo.

The ex-serviceman is yet to receive his official letter of appointment, but allegations have already been raised against him in newspapers which have forced the BCB to check his background.

BCB president Ali Asghar declined to comment on the issue but the chief executive officer (CEO) of the board Mahmudur Rahman said that they would look into the issue before confirming him the job.

"We selected him (Harunoor Rashid) but we are yet to give him the appointment letter. We have taken note of the allegations raised in the media and that's why we will definitely try to find out the truth," said Rahman.

He also expressed his utter surprise like many others about the fact that Harunoor had already got the BCB's corporate cellphone connection although the board had only confirmed him verbally. "I don't know how he got it without my knowledge," said a surprised Rahman.

However, it was learnt that a BCB high-up had provided him with the cellphone.

Two leading Bangla dailies yesterday reported that Harunoor, an assistant director of the BKSP, was court-martialled on charges of tampering a certificate during his stint with the Bangladesh Air Force.

And in 1996, he had to go into forced retirement for another wrongdoing.

There was also controversy about his exploitation as the chef de mission of the Bangladesh contingent to the 2004 Paralympics in Greece while the national cricketers also had a bad experience with him in BKSP during the national team camp.

The BCB however stated in a press release that his first tour would be the ICC Champions Trophy in India next month, which will secure his job depending on success.

Miraz
September 16, 2006, 04:14 PM
Similar reports are published in other dailies. Media seems to be very unhappy about the removal of Hira and appointment of Harun.

TheWatcher
September 16, 2006, 06:45 PM
From news reports, it seems Mahbub Anam got too much power in his hand while the new CEO, Mahmudur Rahman, has very little say in how things are going in the board. Sounds like BCB, as a professional organization, is walking backward.

SMHasan
September 16, 2006, 09:12 PM
If the allegations are not wrong then both the BCB and Mr Rashid is in trouble. As most of the newspapers are reporting pretty much in the same negative way we can assume that there is something wrong with this man. Some of us here have already said that this is a negative writing by Prothom-Alo, but we all know the proverb '[বাংলা]যাকে দেখতে নারি তার চলন বাঁকা ।[/বাংলা]'

TheWatcher
September 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
DS: BCB hell-bent on Harun (http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/09/20/d60920040227.htm)
Sports Reporter

After the 2003 World Cup debacle, a two-member inquiry committee of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) had a strong recommendation about the appointment of a manager for the national team.

"We strongly feel that the selection of managers should not be an issue of patronage, but that of capability," suggested the probe body of Commodore (retd.) Mujibur Rahman and Syed Shamim Ahsan.

But following the recent controversy over the appointment of Flight Lieutenant (retd) Mohammed Harunoor Rashid Bhuiyan as the team operations manager for next month's ICC Champions Trophy in India, it seems that the Ali Asghar-led board paid no heed to this advice and moreover, shelved it.

Last Thursday, the BCB in a press release confirmed Harun's appointment where they also stated some of his good qualities but soon after the announcement, newspapers raised allegations against the ex-armed forces man.

At one stage, BCB's chief executive officer (CEO) Mahmudur Rahman quoted in the media that 'board will try to find out the truth' but the general secretary Mahbubul Anam, who returned from Pakistan on Monday, dismissed any investigation regarding the issue yesterday.

"When we issued the press release confirming his (Harunoor Rashid Bhuiyan) appointment, it was our final decision," said the bearded organiser who was even reluctant to talk about the allegations raised against the newly-appointed manager.

But the question repeatedly asked is how a man, whose background is doubtful and allegedly indisciplined, can hold a very sensitive post, especially in a very big cricket event, where maintaining discipline is the most important issue.

Just think about the scale of the allegations as some newspapers reported that Harunoor Rashid, an assistant director of the BKSP, had to face the ignominy of court marshal after tampering with a certificate during his stint with the Bangladesh Air Force and in 1996 was forced into retirement for another wrongdoing.

There was also controversy about his exploitation as Chief-de-Mission of the Bangladesh contingent in the 2004 Paralympics in Greece while the national cricketers also had a run-in with him in BKSP during the national team's camp.

When such serious allegations have been raised, it would be wise for BCB to clear everything before finalising his appointment, but unfortunately, they were not ready to hear anything for mysterious reasons.

So, one can't blame if anyone smells a rat behind the appointment. There was a whispering that the appointment was out of the cricket board's reaches, coming from much higher levels.

The board has actually made post of the manager a 'musical chair' as they have never set any criteria about this important position for the national team.

For the last three series, former Bangladesh skipper Shafiqul Haque Hira served as the manager and before him, another ex-armed forces man -- MA Latif -- held the hot post. Interestingly, the board never explained their removal.

The ICC Champions Trophy is the second biggest tournament after the World Cup, so it is wise to give the job to a man who will not only be capable to perform the managerial activities successfully but also be able to uphold the image of Bangladesh cricket. The board has all the resources -- whether technical and non-technical -- in terms of appointing a manager. If they think that it is the job for a non-technical person, they can select one of the board high-ups and members who regularly travel with the Tigers, which rose to as many as four during the Tiger's last tour to Africa.

Alternatively, if they think that the job-holder must have a cricketing background, then the selectors, who by rotation toured with the team and did the job successfully, can be depended upon this time when there are reservations against the board's appointed manager.

But it seems that BCB is desperate to send the controversial man in this very prestigious meet but the question remains: Why?

Fazal
September 19, 2006, 02:34 PM
Whether we like it or not, serious allegation have been raised against the newly appointed Manager in local news-papers that needs to be addressed one way or another. Now the ball is in BCB's and in some extent Mr. Rashid Bhuiyan's court.

The worst possible case is BCB just ignore the allegation as if nothing happened but not go after the new-paper for false allegation. This will hadicapped the newly appointed manager from the begining.

I hope BCB have the guts to a) either acknowlege their mistake and select a Manager with clean record, or b) stand by their selection and show evidence that he was not court-martialed for false certificate and sue the news-paper for wrongly accusing.

But as ususal, they will do nothing I guess.:(

Tigers_eye
September 19, 2006, 04:39 PM
Court marshals are open records. One can easily find out. if he was, then no way he could hold any government position for his life after that.

However I see politicking here. 1996 Awami league came into power. This guy must be a BNP supporter. If someone can do a timeline one may see the rise and fall co-inherent with the power changes. That would be my guess.

Fazal
September 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
Court marshals are open records. One can easily find out. if he was, then no way he could hold any government position for his life after that.

BKSP is not a government job nor is Manager of the national team. May be Court marshals are open records, but for me, I cannot verify it nor can I deny that. I hope someone will make a parmanent closure of this. It would be nice if those newspaper could back up their claim with some evidence. Haoever as I said, the ball is mainly in BCB's court. Either except the claim or refute the claim with some kind of evidence and the will power to sue the new-media.

However I see politicking here. 1996 Awami league came into power. This guy must be a BNP supporter. If someone can do a timeline one may see the rise and fall co-inherent with the power changes. That would be my guess.

Well even politics is involved, I don't think that will play well with BCB or Mr. Bhuiyan. Becuase both of them kind-of claimed there was no Court-martial. That would be lying to the press. If politics was involved, then should admit that and give reason in the first place (like he was targeted for his political affiliation) . The more we do hide stuff, the more things get murky and we loose credibility.

My point is both (the accusing news-paper and the BCB/Bhuiyan) cannot be right at the same time. Someone is not saying the truth. Unlike you, I am just with-holding my judgement before I know much about this issue one way or another.

Miraz
September 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
Indian high commission refused VISA for newly appointed (?) manager Fl. Lt. Harun-ur -Rashid.

Another controversary.

Detail from Jai Jai Din (http://www.jaijaidin.com/view_news.php?News-ID=13430&issue=88&nav_id=4)