PDA

View Full Version : Taibu seeks a change in nationality to play Tests

TheWatcher
September 15, 2006, 07:01 PM
TATENDA TAIBU, the self-exiled former Zimbabwe captain, plans to return to the international game as a South Africa player. He will play there for four years in order to qualify for the national team by 2010. Taibu, 23, is likely to join either Nashua Cape Cobras or Fitendia Warriors.

“I will never return to the Zimbabwe side and I want to play Test cricket. South Africa is the best option,” he said.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0 VALIGN="TOP"><TBODY><TR><TD id=mpuHeader name="mpuHeader"></TD></TR><TR align=right><TD align=right><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>NI_MPU('middle');</SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>He has chosen to continue his career in South Africa rather than England, where qualification would take him longer and where he played club cricket this summer, helping Pyrford to win promotion from the second division of the Surrey Championship.

Original Report (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,426-2360801,00.html)

Hatebreed
September 15, 2006, 07:04 PM
Good luck to him, it's sad that the poor state of Zimbabwean cricket has deprived him of playing for his own country.

battye
September 15, 2006, 11:13 PM
That's terrible, I really thought he would return to Zimbabwe when things cooled down in a few years :(

He needs to do what is best for him and his family though.

Rabz
September 18, 2006, 05:55 AM
A Man's gotta do what A Man's gotta do.
Good luck Taibu.
Sad story for Zimbabwe.

Andy-Flower
September 18, 2006, 07:00 AM
I talked to the Taibu last week and he dismissed any chances of a Zim come back...who cares - who needs him. I mean he was a fantastic player but he has messed up his whole life, i doubt it if he can make South Africa 'A' side unless if they take him for his wicket keeping to make him another Ian Hilly. Of all the people who have turned their backs on Zim Taibu is the worst case....i dont hate him though he is a good kid;) but stupid

akabir77
September 18, 2006, 09:44 AM
he should have applied for bd nationality since pilot getting old...

Xavier
September 18, 2006, 09:59 AM
I think this is quite a shocking news for Zimbabwe... I guess what's the reason why for him to be so sure not to come back... he was the captain and the best player... that's really strange!

Tigers_eye
September 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
When your family is threathened how can you make peace with those people? There is no garentee that will not happen again. I am sure Taibu is a zimbabwean in heart who will always love his country. It is the cricket administration that he does not like. I second Akabir bhai. Why could BD not accomodate him lol.

Xavier
September 18, 2006, 10:26 AM
When your family is threathened how can you make peace with those people? There is no garentee that will not happen again. I am sure Taibu is a zimbabwean in heart who will always love his country. It is the cricket administration that he does not like.

You are right but I think it would be disappointing for Zimbabwean fans to see him playing for South Africa... maybe he should let time goes by and then come back in a one or two years time. But in the end he's the only one who knows what's the right thing to do.

Andy-Flower
September 19, 2006, 01:05 AM
The big uestion is ..will he make it into the S.A squad?

Baundule
September 19, 2006, 03:55 AM
Happy to see Taibu heading towards a new country. There is no reason that you will sacrifice everything to satisfy the dumb administrators. You might see it as a lack of patriotism; but i would in stead call it patriotism.

BangladeshFan
September 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
The big uestion is ..will he make it into the S.A squad?

i dont think he can.

by the way are u the real andy flower?

Andy-Flower
September 21, 2006, 01:49 AM
Nah i aint the real Andy..just a fan of his. Only time will tell whether Taibu did the correct thing, i watched yesterday's Game Zim loosing by over 170runs. Bosman, Peterson and Duminy are all new to the ODI arena but you can see their class even though it was against a weak attack but they tore Zim apart....these guys cant make it into the test team let alone Taibu...its not that i hate him or anything but i feel that he has been ill-advised

He played 22 games for Pryford{third divisin England side} averaging 58, highest score 101. If these stats are good enough for the S.A Test side then my Grand mother can play for S.A ;) i mean im for real you will see time will tell

Baundule
September 21, 2006, 04:44 AM
Andy, how is the average of your Grandma?
I think, she will compete with Boycott's to be the Grandma of Cricket! ;)

ajithlalm
September 24, 2006, 11:49 PM
I think Taibu should go for some lesser country if he ever want to play International Cricket. I don't think he will ever be able to get into South Africa. There are lots of players with greater talent playing domestic cricket. I think the best option for him is to go and play with Kenya, Scotland, Canada, Holland, Ireland, or Bermuda and help them get test status or play international ODIs in any of these team. This would be the correct decision for him than spending time on test playing countries.

Baundule
September 25, 2006, 05:16 AM
I think Taibu should go for some lesser country if he ever want to play International Cricket. I don't think he will ever be able to get into South Africa. There are lots of players with greater talent playing domestic cricket. I think the best option for him is to go and play with Kenya, Scotland, Canada, Holland, Ireland, or Bermuda and help them get test status or play international ODIs in any of these team. This would be the correct decision for him than spending time on test playing countries.

Money is everything that matters. Playing test is a secondary issue, I think. If he can continue with the good progress, I think, he can make it to the SA team. After Boucher retires, SA will be looking for a good wicket-keeper. In my opinion, the present Taibu has enough quality to fill that gap. Time will say, if he can make it after 4 years.

All the best wishes for this talented kid!

Miraz
September 30, 2006, 05:49 PM
Taibu's hope to play for South Africa is shattered by the Cricket South Africa. Taibu is now considering a comeback to Zimbabwe national side. According to report he is contacting with Kevin Curran and may even feature against Bangladesh in November.

Details from Jai Jai Din (http://www.jaijaidin.com/view_news.php?News-ID=14400&issue=96&nav_id=4)

Stumped
October 3, 2006, 09:03 PM
I talked to the Taibu last week and he dismissed any chances of a Zim come back...who cares - who needs him. I mean he was a fantastic player but he has messed up his whole life, i doubt it if he can make South Africa 'A' side unless if they take him for his wicket keeping to make him another Ian Hilly. Of all the people who have turned their backs on Zim Taibu is the worst case....i dont hate him though he is a good kid;) but stupid

Ohhh did u seriously talk to him? and talk to him often? If so tell him i say hello pls... hope he remembers me! Thanks...

Andy-Flower
October 7, 2006, 02:40 AM
will do that^^ ha ha:lol:..infact i talk to most guys Masakadza, Taylor, Chibhabha, Rainsford and any cricket fan can talk to them...but Masakadza is my personal friend, i played college cricket with his elder brother Gerald. I told Taylor about Mortaza's challenge and he said he will be looking forward to it...;)

Stumped
October 8, 2006, 05:56 PM
:) thats something i miss heaps.. being involved with the team... well lanka. They became my family somewhat, especially when i did not know anyone the first time i moved to lanka. The peop ive met and memories i have are the things i cherrish! Make sure u hold onto them too!

RazabQ
October 10, 2006, 03:21 PM
:) thats something i miss heaps.. being involved with the team... well lanka. They became my family somewhat, especially when i did not know anyone the first time i moved to lanka. The peop ive met and memories i have are the things i cherrish! Make sure u hold onto them too!Stumped, I'm sure the BD team would adopt you as their li'l sis if you hung out with em :)

Andy, tell your boys to keep their spirits up. They'll turn things around.

Stumped
October 10, 2006, 06:43 PM
Stumped, I'm sure the BD team would adopt you as their li'l sis if you hung out with em :)

Andy, tell your boys to keep their spirits up. They'll turn things around.

lol... i only know a couple of them and cos i got sick wheni was there i only saw one of them but sayin that im sure most would stick up for me... wish i could have been more involved but i dont live there and also i think it would be frowned upon if i went to the training session in banga! But i got a few friendships from them so im happy!

TheWatcher
October 10, 2006, 09:22 PM
Taibu changes sides (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20561586-23212,00.html)

<CITE class=byline>From correspondents in London</CITE> <CITE class=author></CITE>
October 11, 2006

DISENCHANTED former Zimbabwe captain Tatenda Taibu is reportedly considering signing a contract to play for Namibia in a South African provincial tournament.

The 23-year-old veteran of 24 Tests and 84 limited-overs internationals has already played for Namibia against Limpopo on Sunday and he told the BBC that he would be probably signing a contract soon to play in the tournament which runs till next March

"I'm going through the contract at the moment and should sign it in the next couple of days," Taibu said.

"I wanted to be away from the politics in Zimbabwean cricket, and at the same time remain active in competitive cricket, so Namibia is good for me at the moment."

Taibu, who last November became the latest of his compatriots to walk away from the national side as he got fed up with the politics and financial mismanagement, can play for Namibia because the competition is not at full international level.

Taibu played club cricket in Bangladesh and England before moving to South Africa, where he considered trying to qualify for the Proteas. That would take four years, while he would need five to become eligible for Namibia.

However Taibu has not totally ruled out returning to Zimbabwe.

"It's a possibility, but if nothing happens soon I won't be going back to play for Zimbabwe," he said. "I really can't say what my long-term future is right now, but I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks from now."

ashes
October 12, 2006, 06:13 PM
good for him,and for namibia too