PDA

View Full Version : Prothom Alo: Our Cricket culture

fwullah
September 17, 2006, 11:33 AM
Did anyone see the 'stadium' issue of Prothom Alo today?

Seems like all our reporters are biased in favor of our players. It could also indicate to a reason why we lost the series in Zimbabwe.

http://www.prothom-alo.org/fcat.news.details.php?nid=Njcw&fid=Ng==

It lets you wonder what actually did our players do that can really harm Bangladesh Cricket.

fwullah
September 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
On another note, on the outside, I could never realize what an important role Faruque Ahmed is playing in Bangladesh Cricket.

TheWatcher
September 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
Tareq Mahmood is getting on my nerves. Whether the players think a zoo tour is worth $40 is totally up to them, what kind of mean guy is he to ask how should players spend their hard earned money ?

BD team management need to be more strict to keep this kind of gossip reporters to a good distant from the players.

Sumon77
September 17, 2006, 12:33 PM
A stupid example by a stupid journalist. Its none if his business where the players should spend their money. did he enter the zoo himself with 40 USD?

Spitfire_x86
September 17, 2006, 05:35 PM
Another rubbish article from Tareq Mahmood. This article is just a page filler, nothing else.

His writings can be good for only tabloids like Manabjamin

Miraz
September 17, 2006, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately this Tareq Mahmood is nominated for best cricket journalist award. BCB nomination board is equally rubbish.

SMHasan
September 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
Well everything that Tareque Mahmood said is not bad at all. Perheps 40 dollar issue is a bit harsh but remember the post match culture raised by him is a very good one! Well done Faruque. We need to make a proper cricket culture.

It's also true that sometimes Mr Tareque makes things complex which is really a bad habit. He is too much nosey.

Sovik
September 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
tareq mahmood was talking about national park in zimbabwe. our players came back cause ticket was expensive and he critisized that. but did he visit national park?

kalpurush
September 17, 2006, 09:07 PM
Tareq Mahmood Zimbabwe National Park visit korbe kibhabe? Seto "fao" marar tale chilo! Jodi player ra ekta ticket kine day ...Prothom Alo-te "khobor" hower binimoye!!;) :lol:

kalpurush
September 17, 2006, 09:57 PM
I think he(Mr. Mahmood) is right about the "cricket culture" though! Our cricketers should show more discipline and maturity and follow the world standards of cricket culture. They sometime fail to show that!

Tokyobreeze
September 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
I think the talk about "Cricket Culture" is not a bad one.Our players surely need to get more matured.Not only in field, but also in their personal life and attitude.

Though I really hate this reporter - Tareq Mahmood.I don't like his writing style and the way he tries to convert তিল to তাল. Feel bad that prothom-alo is still sticking with this guy.Whenever I open a topic and see that it's reported by Tareq Mahmood, I sort of loose the interest of reading it.

thebest
September 18, 2006, 03:50 AM
Mr Mahmood is a rubbish reporter. Unfortunately, on this issue I am with him. That does not mean I am againest the attitude of players. It was management responsibilty to let the cricketers know about the cost. Though cricketers should also ask them how much it should cost. Come on people, when I am visiting some place, I take as much as information before visiting there. Direction to go and cost are the most important of these. I think most of you also do this.

Rabz
September 18, 2006, 08:04 AM
May be Mr. Mahmood needs to learn about the "journalism" culture while writing for a respected daily. Prothom Alo also needs to have a good look at their reporter before they start to loose their credibility. If it was a reporter from a trashy gos mags, it would have bn all right. but not from Prothom-alo.

sadi
September 18, 2006, 08:45 AM
Can anyone guess who that cricketer is in the article? My guess is Javed Omar!!!

Anyways, whether a cricketer wants to spend 40 bucks or not is his personal decision and Tareq has no right to criticize that. Most of our cricketers have to take care of the family back home and 40 dollars can mean a lot to them.

fwullah
September 18, 2006, 08:54 AM
40 US dollar = 100 * 40 = 4,000 Taka only (I think its more than 100 Taka a dollar now a days, isn't it?). I guess there are two ways to look at it. Our players earn perhaps over 40,000 Taka a year, depending on what grade of player he is, and the other way to look at it is - the thing that someone mentioned - we always look into our cost and our availability of money when we go visit a new country.

rudro
September 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
Does "Visiting ZIM national Park" has anything to do with the cricket culture? How would it have improved our cricket culture had our cricketers paid the visit to the park?

[বাংলা]উৎপল শুভ্র কোথায়? তারেক মাহমুদ প্রথম আলোর নাম ডুবাবে, বলে রাখলাম।[/বাংলা]

Tigers_eye
September 18, 2006, 09:31 AM
What a bull crap report!!! I totally disagree with T Mahmood. Wake up and stop stiring things up amoug the team members and management. Stop this negetivity at this crucial time. Instead of the zoo trip if it was a hospital trip of some sort where players were requested to give charity of $40 dollars I would have understand his outburst. But this is a personal choice for the players.

Thank you BCB for appointing an army official as a team manager. Hopefully the manager would keep the team out of harms way from such dirt digging reporters.

Rabz
September 18, 2006, 09:34 AM
40 US dollar = 100 * 40 = 4,000 Taka only (I think its more than 100 Taka a dollar now a days, isn't it?). I guess there are two ways to look at it. Our players earn perhaps over 40,000 Taka a year, depending on what grade of player he is, and the other way to look at it is - the thing that someone mentioned - we always look into our cost and our availability of money when we go visit a new country.

As of yesterday's dollar rate:
1 USD = 67 Taka
therefore, USD 40= Taka 2680, mere a pocket change for our national team players, who earns around 15 thousand taka per test and 10,000 per odi ( if im not mistaken).

Plus they earn between 40,000- 60,000 taka per month (depending on the grade) while they are under BCB contract.

Taking account for daily allowances on tour, lets say the whole Safari tour was of around 16 days, they earned around another USD 50 X 16 = USD 1000 = Taka 67,000

Lets say our Tigers play 20 ODI per year and 8 test matches per year

20 X 10,000 = Taka 200,000
8 X 15,000 = Taka 120,000
12 X 50,000 = Taka 600,000 ( median of TK 50,000 for every player on BCB contract)
30 X USD 50 = Taka 100,500 ( i.e., spending 30 days a year on tour overseas)
------------------------------------------------------
Grand Total = Taka 1,020,500 approx

Plus personal commercial contracts.

Whats the big deal of spending 40 bucks on zoo then?

May be our Tareq Mahmood was jealous as he was in tight budget. may be none of the Tigers wanted to chip in for his admission and rightly so.

A good R&R is also part of the preparation.
I see no harm why our players cant spend the day off enjoying the sight-seeing in a foreign land!! And if they are spending money out of thier own pocket, with supervised visit by the officials,

Who's father's what?
Kar baper ki?

Sovik
September 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
reporters of prothom alo. we have tareq mahmood. and now jagannath bisswas who has been copying articles from cricinfo

Disappearing acts
Steve Pittard
September 5, 2006

Cricinfo link>> (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/258594.html)

Prothom-alo link>> (http://www.prothom-alo.org/archive/news_details_fcat.php?dt=2006-09-17&issue_id=21&cat_id=&nid=Njcx&fid=Ng==)

sadi
September 18, 2006, 10:01 AM
I don't understand why they don't mention their sources. Whts wrong with them? Jibone college e jay nai? Naki jokon gese tokon nokol kora allowed chilo.

rudro
September 18, 2006, 10:13 AM
Jagannath Bishwas could be sued for "Plagiarism". I can't believe - such things are happenings in Matiur Rahman's newspaper!

Rabz
September 18, 2006, 10:49 AM
I don't understand why they don't mention their sources. Whts wrong with them? Jibone college e jay nai? Naki jokon gese tokon nokol kora allowed chilo.

Plagarism is not such a big deal in our university/college as they are in western countries. Students dont face to loose all the marks if they fail to reference thier work properly.

and nokol? nokol kora to bangalee'r jonmogoto odhikar!

Fazal
September 18, 2006, 11:53 AM
Very funny indeed. So if people already knows what a garbage writer T Mahmood is, why do they still read his article with so much interest and give so much importance what he writes?

The problem is, even garbage writer like T Mahmood sometimes hits the right button; thats makes him harder to sollow.:lol:

Spitfire_x86
September 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
Very funny indeed. So if people already knows what a garbage writer T Mahmood is, why do they still read his article with so much interest and give so much importance what he writes?
Because he writes for a respectable daily newspaper, not for a tabloid or no-name weekly magazine. In that case, very few people would've read his article, and if one of the readers cared to open a thread to discuss the article, then everyoen would refer the article as "X newspaper's article" instead of Tarek Mahoomd's article.

Fazal
September 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
Because he writes for a respectable daily newspaper, not for a tabloid or no-name weekly magazine. In that case, very few people would've read his article, and if one of the readers cared to open a thread to discuss the article, then everyoen would refer the article as "X newspaper's article" instead of Tarek Mahoomd's article.

I thought some people are already branding your respectable daily newspaper as a faltu newpaper in different threads for a while. No?

People are too much stuck up with his $40 Zoo fee comment, but failed to see, he has some valid point in this article about lack of enforcing dressing code for players. I think that is a very good point to raise when there is no game going on to report. Now that $40 Zoo entrance fee fiasco, I agree, its not a good example to give for lack of cricket culture.

If the team managmement arranged this zoo tour, the team should notify the players in advanced that they need to pay and the cost of the entrance ticket. I think the team management should pay the ticket anyway as this should be part of the team building activities during away-tours.

akabir77
September 18, 2006, 02:56 PM
fazal bhai
its not only his, normally people read all the articles with interest on cricket and sp the ones who went with the team, so that one can get all the details that they can get on the tour.

Spitfire_x86
September 18, 2006, 04:22 PM
I thought some people are already branding your respectable daily newspaper as a faltu newpaper for a while in different threads for a while. No?
I should've added " in terms of sports section" in a bracket. That's why most of us read Prothom Alo.

mar1630
September 18, 2006, 05:45 PM
Did anyone of us thought of what Mr.T.Mahmud wrote or meant to bring to our attention? Or we are too busy giving him a dholai instead of rectifying the issue in hand. This 14 member national cricketer should be trained like close-up 1 contestants so that they know how to talk ,act, behave while representing the country and the game of cricket to the whole world. I have read some posts mentioning that its their personal life, if thats so than dont ask the bus driver to take them to the National Park and say that they dont have enough money for the
entrance fee and be a laughing stock to Zim Bus Driver.

Fazal
September 18, 2006, 05:46 PM
I should've added " in terms of sports section" in a bracket. That's why most of us read Prothom Alo.

Well if tareq mahmood and jagannath bisswas are considered junk (here), how many more sport writers Prothom Alo currently have who covers cricket? If the reporters are junk, shouldn't their Sports section be considered junk also?:lol:

btw which ex-national player (who was ex-ed in the final cut-off) is he talking about? Is he our darling Gullu or our stud Alok who, along with his friend, was denied to practice? Hmmmm those are good stuff, only that we will never know if its Gullu or Alok.

nobody
September 18, 2006, 08:39 PM
Jagannath Bishwas could be sued for "Plagiarism". I can't believe - such things are happenings in Matiur Rahman's newspaper!

Plagarism is not new in Matiur Rahman's newspaper. From the very beginning prothom alo is translating cricinfo and readers digest articles. so it is not a new phenomenon. It is not prothom alo, vorer kagoj used to do it. I do not know whether they do it now as I do not read it. Even if they acknowledge, my question is did they pay for copyright. Because they are actually putting it word by word, not in referrance.
Why they plagarised? Because now a days very few bright student go for print media. Most of the bright, go for TV media. So newspaper has a very small pool of bright young journalist to choose. So this "Garbage" TM is getting nomination for best journalist. May be next yr would be JB's turn.

rudro
September 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
[বাংলা]নઘাশনাল পাকગ োদখেত িগেয় িਠઙেকটীয় সংੌৄিতর সেਔ যায় না, এমন অারও একটা কাਟ ঘিটেয়েছন কেয়কজন িਠઙেকটার৷ ভিবষઘেত তারা অার এ ধরেনর িকছઓ করেবন না, োস অাশা োথেকই অাপাতত ঘটনাটা বাਈব੯দী থাক৷ তেব এটઓকઓ জানઓন, ওই ঘটনা অার একটઓ গড়ােল বাংলােদেশর িਠઙেকেটর জনઘ োসটা বড় একটা কলਓ হেয়ই থাকত৷[/বাংলা]
Sorry, if you cannot understand. Tarek Mahmood referred to another serious incident which he didn't want to describe. I have seen reporters in small cities in Bangladesh blackmailing businessmen using same strategy. Its more or less like this "If you do not do this or that I will write a story on you...". My take on this is, if he was really caring about our cricket, then no matter what that incident was, he should have disclosed it in his report. That was the only way to stop a repeatation of the same event. Now I wonder why he is hiding it! Can anyone guess? I can't imagine a reporter blackmailing national cricketers.

DotBall
September 18, 2006, 10:50 PM
The article had covered more issues than the $40 ticket price for a zoo that seems to have gotten more attention than others. Most of the issues that he covered attributes to the descipline building in our cricket culture. For example if the rules and regulations are set in such a way that no one other than the players and selected individuals are allowed in then it's damn well should stay that way. Not even one exception.

DotBall
September 18, 2006, 10:59 PM
I have seen reporters in small cities in Bangladesh blackmailing businessmen using same strategy. Its more or less like this "If you do not do this or that I will write a story on you...". My take on this is, if he was really caring about our cricket, then no matter what that incident was, he should have disclosed it in his report. That was the only way to stop a repeatation of the same event. Now I wonder why he is hiding it! Can anyone guess? I can't imagine a reporter blackmailing national cricketers.

If the un-named cricketer had really did bring his relatives to indoor (this was not permitted by the rules and regulations) for practice he violated the very rules and regulations that we need to keep in place. The person who is in fault first is the cricketer and then the reporter for not disclosing the name.

sunny747
September 19, 2006, 02:40 AM
If the un-named cricketer had really did bring his relatives to indoor (this was not permitted by the rules and regulations) for practice he violated the very rules and regulations that we need to keep in place. The person who is in fault first is the cricketer and then the reporter for not disclosing the name.

My guess is javed omar.......he is probably the one. Long long time ago, i saw him buttering Gordon greenig in the dhanmondi sport club. Probably he was out from the icc tropy team.

PoorFan
September 19, 2006, 04:55 AM
Did anyone of us thought of what Mr.T.Mahmud wrote or meant to bring to our attention? Or we are too busy giving him a dholai instead of rectifying the issue in hand. This 14 member national cricketer should be trained like close-up 1 contestants so that they know how to talk ,act, behave while representing the country and the game of cricket to the whole world. I have read some posts mentioning that its their personal life, if thats so than dont ask the bus driver to take them to the National Park and say that they dont have enough money for the
entrance fee and be a laughing stock to Zim Bus Driver.
Well said, I agree with you.

rudro
September 19, 2006, 08:10 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px outset; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 1px outset; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px outset; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px outset">Originally Posted by rudro
I have seen reporters in small cities in Bangladesh blackmailing businessmen using same strategy. Its more or less like this "If you do not do this or that I will write a story on you...". My take on this is, if he was really caring about our cricket, then no matter what that incident was, he should have disclosed it in his report. That was the only way to stop a repeatation of the same event. Now I wonder why he is hiding it! Can anyone guess? I can't imagine a reporter blackmailing national cricketers.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>If the un-named cricketer had really did bring his relatives to indoor (this was not permitted by the rules and regulations) for practice he violated the very rules and regulations that we need to keep in place. The person who is in fault first is the cricketer and then the reporter for not disclosing the name.
I wasn't refering to the practice at indoor stadium but to the undisclosed incident he was refering to in his writeup.

sar2005
September 20, 2006, 04:19 AM
Unfortunately this Tareq Mahmood is nominated for best cricket journalist award. BCB nomination board is equally rubbish.

Haahaa, after all, he managed to bring a discipline in the team by asking a question to Faruq. A big reward for a 'big' contribution to bd cricket ;)

Sauron
September 20, 2006, 11:18 AM
I thought some people are already branding your respectable daily newspaper as a faltu newpaper in different threads for a while. No?

People are too much stuck up with his $40 Zoo fee comment, but failed to see, he has some valid point in this article about lack of enforcing dressing code for players. I think that is a very good point to raise when there is no game going on to report. Now that $40 Zoo entrance fee fiasco, I agree, its not a good example to give for lack of cricket culture.

If the team managmement arranged this zoo tour, the team should notify the players in advanced that they need to pay and the cost of the entrance ticket. I think the team management should pay the ticket anyway as this should be part of the team building activities during away-tours.

Fazal, you just wrote everything that I was going to write. So, thanks for saving me the trouble :) And I obviously totally absolutley undoubtably agree with you

rudro
September 20, 2006, 02:41 PM
Well, our favorite TM failed to win the award that he was nominated for...Azad Majumder of new age won it!

bhobishshot
September 21, 2006, 02:01 PM

$ 1 = 66 Taka.

bhobishshot
September 21, 2006, 02:08 PM
The appearence of the players and behavior of the ex-national at the statium is worthy new to report; but, I don't find the zoo incident a cricket worthy news.