PDA

View Full Version : Shahriar - A Shining Star

Hatebreed
September 17, 2006, 06:34 PM
SHAHRIAR A SHINING STAR
By David Clough, PA Sport

It is no surprise to see 20-year-old Bangladesh opener Shahriar Nafees is beginning to attract recognition at the highest level.

The new Bangladesh vice-captain is conspicuous among his countrymen who, to a man apart from him, are often their own worst enemy when it comes to batting.

Shahriar may not have the same level of natural ability which helped Mohammad Ashraful become the youngest centurion in cricket history.

Where he scores, however, way better than Ashraful and a host of other naive strokemakers is in an astute shot selection patently lacking in his team-mates.

The left-handed Shahriar does not feel the need to go after every ball.

He has the confidence of a proper batsman, setting out not to grab the runs he can before inevitable dismissal but to build an innings without taking undue risk or missing his scoring opportunities.

The results - a maiden Test century against Australia, no less, among other innings which promise an international career of substance - have earned him a nomination for the International Cricket Council's emerging player of the year award.

When the winner is announced Shahriar will probably play second fiddle to one or two others from more established cricket countries.

Yet among his Bangladeshi peers, he is outstanding.

Shahriar's reaction to his nomination provides a clue too to the temperament which should ensure he makes the most of his talent.

"It was not because of that knock against Australia but rather the whole season where I showed adequate consistency," he suggests modestly.

Shahriar's cricket ambitions appear to be bound up not merely with personal advancement but Bangladeshi progress.

"It is very encouraging," he added.

"But I don't see anything from an individual's perspective."

That may sound more than humble. But Shahriar is wise to seek to promote Bangladesh rather than merely himself - after all he can only develop within the limitations of a team who have occasionally revealed significant talent yet most often are outclassed in international cricket.

None of that is likely to change in next month's Champions Trophy.

But in Shahriar, Bangladesh have for the first time unearthed a batsman with the self-belief and technique to glue together the gung-ho approach of his team-mates.

Other Tigers may end up hogging the highlights - with their very good shots and their very bad ones - but Bangladesh will not prove a match for the Test powers on the back of an Ashraful or Aftab Ahmed cameo alone.

To be properly competitive, they need some solidity from Shahriar - and a couple more like him would do no harm either.

http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=cricket/06/09/17/CRICKET_Champions_Bangladesh_Sha.html

Nice to see our young 'star' getting some highly recognition ahead of CT, although his determination to prioritise the team's interests shows great courage and selfnessness of a vice-captain. Hopefully he'll maintain his form and temperment to become a great cricketer and captain. :)

Rubu
September 17, 2006, 07:40 PM
yes, he is the brightest prospect of batting as of right now.

baisab
September 17, 2006, 09:05 PM
Good Article, nice to see people from outside talking good of him, he desrves it

kalpurush
September 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
I wonder wheather he could handle the fame properly or end up like Ashraful! I guess he is more mature than the others though. I hope he will continue to work hard to earn world's respect and make us all proud. All the best...Nafees.

Tokyobreeze
September 18, 2006, 07:25 AM
The consistency and mature atttitude Shahriar has shown until now is great.Though he has lot more to achieve and prove.And, I believe he can make it.It's nice to see that he is attracting attention.Wish him good luck and expect to see the same consistency continuing.

Rabz
September 18, 2006, 07:49 AM
Nice article and a deserved appreciated for Nafees.
Hope he can carry this form and consistency in the future.

sadi
September 18, 2006, 08:50 AM
He will be allright. A good family background and good education surely help.

PoorFan
September 19, 2006, 05:13 AM
Nice read, but dont 'make up' a star out of him yet.

Tokyobreeze
September 19, 2006, 07:44 AM
dont 'make up' a star out of him yet.
Yeah...of course.So many Stars have born and most of them later proved to be black-hole of frustration.

Anyways, it seems SN will stay and glow.At least we hope so.We need consistent performer badly now in this stage of our development, more than so-called non-performing genius stars(Ash, Aftab...ahh nice SN's name doesn't start with A:-).

DotBall
September 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
Nice article on SN, and it also illustrates on the direction most of our batsmen needs to take. My hope is the next generation of young batsmen will be more matured once we are done with the "Ash-bash".

I hope that SN will keep his head on the shoulder and not get influenced by the negative attitude in our cricket culture.