PDA

View Full Version : So... who still wants to beat the defending Champs?

Ahmed_B
September 18, 2006, 09:55 AM
Yes... Champion's trophy talks again. The Defending Champion West Indies(2004 Champ Trophy) seems to be pretty much back on track and coming to full form. With their success against India and now showing promising form as a team in the Tri-Nation tourney... it appears that they are quite focussed in the whole.

Few days back it appeared that WI would struggle in subconinental conditions so BD would have higher chance against them in the Champ Trophy rather than against SL. But they are playing in Malayasia right now... and no signs of stumbling yet in their performance. On the other hand... SL just had a great series against England.

It seems both SL & WI are sharpening razor-themselves... surely making BD dreams for any upset quite unlikely. And.. how is our mental preperation going on for that?

Miraz
September 18, 2006, 09:58 AM
With rasel out and mashrafee in doubt, I am really worried about BD performence in the qualifying round of ICCT.

Tigers_eye
September 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
The game is still on. I'll take my chances :)
Let this be our coming out party. I only worry Chandurpaul. WI may lose to Zim also. :)

Good win against Aus, west Indies.

sadi
September 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
WI is playing well but their middle order is as fragile as Bangladesh middle order. Today also even though they won the game, they lost some quick wickets once Lara got out.

rudro
September 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
Well, I have a montro to kill WI. Let them score 100/2 (in 20 overs), 200/4 (40 overs). Their tail will score only 15 more runs before being bowled out leaving 6 more overs to play.

Malayashian pitch's cannot be considered as subcontinental pitch.

Rubu
September 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
we are not even confident about beating zimbos, who is dreaming (or drooling?) about WI anyway?

Sovik
September 18, 2006, 10:19 AM
i don't see any chances for bd to qualify in champions trophy

TheWatcher
September 18, 2006, 11:21 AM
Well, we can still hope for one of those "Eid" matches. If that does not happen, I will be quite happy with a win against Zimbabwe.

al Furqaan
September 18, 2006, 11:24 AM
still 3 weeks to go...anything can happen, remember we scared the bejezus outta the aussies after they creames SA 3-0

al Furqaan
September 18, 2006, 11:24 AM
the only performance that matters is WI performance on the field when they play us...and of course our own performance

kalpurush
September 18, 2006, 12:03 PM
The game is "Cricket!" and it's ODI!! Anything could happen in a given day!!!? How come I let out BD chances?! Our trump card is our spinners. If we have 250 runs in our bag, they can do the rest ...:D

cricketboy
September 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
The game is "Cricket!" and it's ODI!! Anything could happen in a given day!!!? How come I let out BD chances?! Our trump card is our spinners. If we have 250 runs in our bag, they can do the rest ...:D

You are right but how will we score 250? Shahrair Nafees and Bashar flop hoile amra sesh.

Tigers_eye
September 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
You are right but how will we score 250? Shahrair Nafees and Bashar flop hoile amra sesh.
Our strategy for this tournament would be get the opponents all out by 130. They we can safely say we would win two games out of three. ( I am waiting for someone to ask me how did I come up with a 130 total)

250 hahahaha!!

Sovik
September 18, 2006, 06:31 PM
Our trump card is our spinners. If we have 250 runs in our bag, they can do the rest ...:D

our spinners will be effective against only zimbabwe. but if we could lara, chanderpaul, sarwan and gayle early we will be in business

Tokyobreeze
September 18, 2006, 08:28 PM
Well..I think we have got good chances against WI.Only few players of them are playing good knocks almost everyday.Don't let at least 3 within Gayle, Chandarpaul, Lara, Sarwan, Bravo to score more than 10 and we will certainly be in the game.Other than these few the others are getting wrapped within 20-30 odd runs.We rather have a stronger and long batting line up.If few of our players come up to perform according to their potential, we will have a very good chance to win.

nobody
September 18, 2006, 08:30 PM
Dont underestimate our spinners. Gayle, Sarwan, C'paul all are better player of pace. With the exception of Lara, none are good player of spin. Once we get these four, we could nail them. But problem is are we good enought o score 250+?

Sovik
September 18, 2006, 09:34 PM
Dont underestimate our spinners. Gayle, Sarwan, C'paul all are better player of pace. With the exception of Lara, none are good player of spin. Once we get these four, we could nail them. But problem is are we good enought o score 250+?

are you kidding me. chanderpaul and sarwan are very good against spin specially they will not be threatened by our left handed finger spinners. but if we can get those four we will rip through their innings

al Furqaan
September 18, 2006, 09:42 PM
our spinners will be effective against only zimbabwe. but if we could lara, chanderpaul, sarwan and gayle early we will be in business

nonsense.

rafique bowled 10 overs against Aussies and gave away 14 runs...as long as they tie things down (the spinners that is)...mash, rajib, rasel (if fit) will pick up the wickets even if they are a bit expensive.

al Furqaan
September 18, 2006, 09:42 PM
thats not to say our spinners are guaranteed success...but if they can mess with the Aussies, who are the Windies?

Hatebreed
September 18, 2006, 11:11 PM
We'll do well inshallah!

CricFanBD
September 18, 2006, 11:17 PM
we are not even confident about beating zimbos, who is dreaming (or drooling?) about WI anyway?

Cruel Truth.

SS
September 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
What a joke...Champions trophy will be another 'vacation' trip for our players, managers and BCB officials.
We will loose really badly against SL and WI, because our bowlers are in jeopardy and rest of the bowlers are crap. If Forhad opens, both SL and WI will take 50 runs from his first 4 overs. And Rafique, Raz are too much predictable, they don't have varieties besides arm ball which is already known to them. And guess what who will finish the game smoothly for opponents, its our beloved batsmen. It's sad that there were no improvements in temperment and building solid innings in any of our batsmen besides the new comers. What a joke..these players are worst than jokers.

cricket_pagol
September 19, 2006, 12:10 AM
I only wish that our players had more match practice going into the champions trophy. WI is getting better very quickly, but still lack consistency. On a given day, we definitely have a chance against them.

shovon13
September 19, 2006, 01:37 AM
Our strategy for this tournament would be get the opponents all out by 130. They we can safely say we would win two games out of three. ( I am waiting for someone to ask me how did I come up with a 130 total)

250 hahahaha!!
ay if you dont have anything constructive to say then pechal parben na. i'm not picking on you either, its a message to all who picks on the 'over optimist' fans. you are doing the exact same sin by being over pessimistic.

seriously...what kind of a respond is a "250 hahahaha". i've seen too many of these around lately. i would understand if we were talking about our chances of scoring 350. if you dont want us to dream for our team, then you dont get to feel sorry for our team either. this board is a representative of our fan base to the outside world. so once again...dont post aula pechal.

i honestly dont know why we complain so much. our team has been on the up for quite a while now. this is a routine process that every young team has to go through. this is the period of growth, of nurturance, when they will stumble and learn (literally in masri's case, i feel like kicking his ***). i mean come on guys, you should know that. cant we cut back on the pessimism just a little bit. no kidding we dont have much of a chance of qualifying to the next round. why? simply because the windies and the lankans are vastly more experienced and established sides. so its kind of monotonous to hear you guys talk about how we dont stand a chance. the beautiful thing is, we do have a chance, however little it may be.

PoorFan
September 19, 2006, 05:02 AM
'On a given day' that's all one can count at best, count on Zimbo first and then 'talk' rest.

And Shovon13, I think you got wrong on Tigers_eye, at least he is not a pessimist.

Rabz
September 19, 2006, 06:01 AM
The game is "Cricket!" and it's ODI!! Anything could happen in a given day!!!?

Exactly mate! exactly!!
who the hell on earth would have thought that we could beat Australia in England??
I bet even the biggest optimist on this planet didnt think of that.

I'd rather be an optimist and have the courage to dream, cuz one day we will turn this dream into reality!
Offcourse we will be broken hearted, but we all been there done that!!
SO, i will keep on dreamng that we can qualify to the next round. after all, it wont cost me anything.

Even though WI looks like in a good form, depends how u look, u can see a big flaw in their batting order.

They certainly have all those "world class" players in the team who are capable of beating anyone, and they just did, beat Australia yesterday. But at the same time, they have also shown us that how fragile thier batsmen are. Seems like they have are also suffering from the same diarrohea crisis like our batsmen. First match against Aus, they lost a game they should have won and n the second one, they nearly crumbled again.

IF we can manage to get Lara, Gayle out for cheap, i wont rule our chances to win the game. They have a pretty ordinary bowling line up and our batsmen ( haire khoda) SHOULD be able to post some runs on the board.

WI is fast becoming very unpredictable team. I can certainly fancy my luck against them.

I would rather watch the game with a HOPE to win the match, rather than expecting a certain lose. Then there is no point supporting my team.

Tokyobreeze
September 19, 2006, 07:36 AM
Seems like many of us trying to get prepared for the worst than hoping for the best.We certainly had our share of frustrations and also surprises.Lets hope for the best.Surprises can come, or better to call it a possibility.We are progrssing...and on a good day with some favour from luck we can make it.We have won matches against SL already.Though we couldn't do that yet against WI, but sooner or later we surely will.Lets hope that will happen in CT.

kalpurush
September 19, 2006, 09:50 AM
ay if you dont have anything constructive to say then pechal parben na. i'm not picking on you either, its a message to all who picks on the 'over optimist' fans. you are doing the exact same sin by being over pessimistic.

seriously...what kind of a respond is a "250 hahahaha". i've seen too many of these around lately. i would understand if we were talking about our chances of scoring 350. if you dont want us to dream for our team, then you dont get to feel sorry for our team either. this board is a representative of our fan base to the outside world. so once again...dont post aula pechal.

i honestly dont know why we complain so much. our team has been on the up for quite a while now. this is a routine process that every young team has to go through. this is the period of growth, of nurturance, when they will stumble and learn (literally in masri's case, i feel like kicking his ***). i mean come on guys, you should know that. cant we cut back on the pessimism just a little bit. no kidding we dont have much of a chance of qualifying to the next round. why? simply because the windies and the lankans are vastly more experienced and established sides. so its kind of monotonous to hear you guys talk about how we dont stand a chance. the beautiful thing is, we do have a chance, however little it may be.

:up:
nicely said!:lol:

kalpurush
September 19, 2006, 09:52 AM
Exactly mate! exactly!!
who the hell on earth would have thought that we could beat Australia in England??
I bet even the biggest optimist on this planet didnt think of that.

I'd rather be an optimist and have the courage to dream, cuz one day we will turn this dream into reality!
Offcourse we will be broken hearted, but we all been there done that!!
SO, i will keep on dreamng that we can qualify to the next round. after all, it wont cost me anything.

Even though WI looks like in a good form, depends how u look, u can see a big flaw in their batting order.

They certainly have all those "world class" players in the team who are capable of beating anyone, and they just did, beat Australia yesterday. But at the same time, they have also shown us that how fragile thier batsmen are. Seems like they have are also suffering from the same diarrohea crisis like our batsmen. First match against Aus, they lost a game they should have won and n the second one, they nearly crumbled again.

IF we can manage to get Lara, Gayle out for cheap, i wont rule our chances to win the game. They have a pretty ordinary bowling line up and our batsmen ( haire khoda) SHOULD be able to post some runs on the board.

WI is fast becoming very unpredictable team. I can certainly fancy my luck against them.

I would rather watch the game with a HOPE to win the match, rather than expecting a certain lose. Then there is no point supporting my team.

:up: :up:
It's a pleasure to read your posts.

kalpurush
September 19, 2006, 10:01 AM

250 hahahaha!!

Yes, could you please let us know how you came up with a total of 130?! I guess you have some interesting explanation/logic behind it!!;)

Sovik
September 19, 2006, 10:41 AM
nonsense.

rafique bowled 10 overs against Aussies and gave away 14 runs...as long as they tie things down (the spinners that is)...mash, rajib, rasel (if fit) will pick up the wickets even if they are a bit expensive.

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-gb">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>New Page 1</title>
</head>

<body>

<p>rafiq's states<font face="MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER"></p>
<pre>(6 ball overs) Mat O R W BB1 BB2 Ave Econ SR 4w 5w</pre>
<pre><b>Career</b> 100 843.2 3787 95 5/47 4/33 39.86 4.49 53.2 2 1

<b>Sri lanka</b> 13 100.5 480 15 3/61 2/10 32.00 4.76 40.3 0 0

<b>West Indies 8 69.4 308 2 1/45 1/45 154.00 4.42 209.0 0</b> 0</pre>
<pre><b>Zimbabwe</b> 17 165 713 18 4/33 2/24 39.61 4.32 55.0 1 0</pre>
<pre>&nbsp;</pre>
<pre></pre>
</font>

</body>

</html>

Tigers_eye
September 19, 2006, 10:57 AM
Yes, could you please let us know how you came up with a total of 130?! I guess you have some interesting explanation/logic behind it!!;)
Champions Trophy Bd totals: (Chronologically)
-----
Averaging 132 :)

We will beat other teams if we can hold them under 130. :)

FaridpurChicago
September 19, 2006, 10:58 AM
One of us talking about 130, someone else talking like 'it will be a leisure trip for our cricketers, BCB officials'. So, I would like to add - "it's then better not to participate in CT". How do you like this idea?
We blame the players for not having courage and never-say-die approach. They need hard work to get to that level. We the supporters neither need practice nor anything else to get to that level. If our fans have this type of mentality then why we blame our players!! They (players) are doing lot better than us (fans). Fans are losing the games three weeks earlier than the tournament. Bashar remains hopeful at least until the first half of the match.
Another point I would like to mention here before you guys blame the team more. Apart from experience, match practice is another big issue that's causing problem. Probably it's true for any young and rising side. Ponting mentioned that they are not expecting a lot from McGrath as he is out of international level for almost a year. It's almost the same for us. Zim/Ken are no close to international level. Don't blame the players for every unsuccess.
Keep your hope, believe in your team, you'll see the success inshallah. It might not come today, but it is definitely there tomorrow.

Tigers_eye
September 19, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hoping for an eid day. That all I can say. We can do the unthinkable. Beat a test (WI or SL) team even when they are scorching hot.

Fazal
September 19, 2006, 11:58 AM
Bhaizan .... shara jibon to khali hope korte korte gelo... ar pari na ekdom hapayee uthechi... ar koto din... khamakha ... logic bihin hope kora jai?

Have ypu seen how SL and WI is playing recently? Hazar holeyooo Hope magna hote parey... kintu hope-er to laz-shorom ar izzat ache ....

nasifkhan
September 19, 2006, 12:21 PM
The game is still on. I'll take my chances :)
Let this be our coming out party. I only worry Chandurpaul. WI may lose to Zim also. :)

Good win against Aus, west Indies.

bhai ato shoja.....gasay kathol......Gofey tel.... huh?.....:):)

FaridpurChicago
September 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
Yes, I have seen how SL and WI are playing now a days. I don't want to say we should win, I don't want to say we are stronger; what all I wanted to say is, it's not impossible to win against them. We could beat SL not long ago. You may say the team was without Murali, but I would say our team was with JO that time and without Farhad and Sakib. About WI, you have seen how volnurable is their batting line. Other than their top three, our batting line has more depth.
You don't need to get 'MATAL' or drink wine to hope a win.

Fazal
September 19, 2006, 02:42 PM
You don't need to get 'MATAL' or drink wine to hope a win.

Then what do you need? couple of beers? Or Panta Bhat...or is it Khejuere Rosh?

israr
September 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
Whatever the human mind can conceive, the human hand can achieve it. This should be enough to provide some food for thought!

Thunder
September 19, 2006, 06:07 PM
Well everyone is saying that if we get their frontline batsman cheaply, there is a good chance to win.. thats not true. Even a bowler can make a century against us like Bradshaw, smith, baugh.. they are all capable of batting against us if their top order fails..

And if we have to beat them we must have a full strengh team only to create any chances. Otherwise its same old story again and there is a good chance that we may lose even to zimbabwe.. :eek:

SMHasan
September 19, 2006, 08:43 PM

Amer Rosh.

Hatebreed
September 19, 2006, 09:25 PM

french kiss with a beautiful girl ;)

al Furqaan
September 20, 2006, 12:07 AM
<META http-equiv=Content-Language content=en-gb>
<META content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0" name=GENERATOR>
<META content=FrontPage.Editor.Document name=ProgId>

rafiq's states

(6 ball overs) Mat O R W BB1 BB2 Ave Econ SR 4w 5w</PRE>

Career 100 843.2 3787 95 5/47 4/33 39.86 4.49 53.2 2 1

Sri lanka 13 100.5 480 15 3/61 2/10 32.00 4.76 40.3 0 0

West Indies 8 69.4 308 2 1/45 1/45 154.00 4.42 209.0 0 0
</PRE>

Zimbabwe 17 165 713 18 4/33 2/24 39.61 4.32 55.0 1 0</PRE>

</PRE>

</PRE>

impressive research work, sovik bhai.

the average against WI is appalling for someone of rafique's calibre...but at least that econ rate is under 4.5...i'd take a spell of 10-1-45-0 any day if we have 250+ to defend

kalpurush
September 20, 2006, 01:21 AM
Well everyone is saying that if we get their frontline batsman cheaply, there is a good chance to win.. thats not true. Even a bowler can make a century against us like Bradshaw, smith, baugh.. they are all capable of batting against us if their top order fails..

And if we have to beat them we must have a full strengh team only to create any chances. Otherwise its same old story again and there is a good chance that we may lose even to zimbabwe.. :eek:

Please don't forget our Pilot and Rafique both have centuries in their pocket! And I agree with you that Bradshaw, Smith, Baugh...they are all capable of batting against us if their top order fails only if you are the bowler!;) :D

jabbar
September 20, 2006, 02:59 AM
Let this be our coming out party.
I can just imagine it, Mashrafe comes out the bat wearing a tutu and wielding a wand instead of pads and a bat.

sar2005
September 20, 2006, 03:58 AM
So, we have seen only WI top order's batting so far in the DLF cup. Today's match was the 2nd part of WI show in the tournament...........India allout for 162.

So... who still wants to beat the defending Champs? (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=335734#post335734)

We still want and will want forever :lol:

Ahmed_B
September 20, 2006, 04:41 AM
Bhaizan .... shara jibon to khali hope korte korte gelo... ar pari na ekdom hapayee uthechi... ar koto din... khamakha ... logic bihin hope kora jai?

Have ypu seen how SL and WI is playing recently? Hazar holeyooo Hope magna hote parey... kintu hope-er to laz-shorom ar izzat ache ....
Ki r korben bhai? Bangladeshi ra holo emotional dreaming Jati. The word 'dream' is more popular among us rather than 'Plans/Targets/Goals/Strategies'. And who doesn't know that the opposite side of the 'Dream-Coin' is painted with 'Frustration'?

Anyway... to be honest, BD has a very slim chance for upsets in this tournament. But again... it is slim but it is there. The current form of WI or SL should really get the BD gang very serious and should be enough to take off their 'picnic-mood' generated from their so called 'dream'. I don't remember where.. but I wrote in one of my long-posts after the BD-AUS series that BD players have started to take it for granted that they will win some matches against good teams no matter how they play. It's time they start to realize that those sudden wins are called 'flukes' unless you learn the process to make it consistant.

Sovik
September 20, 2006, 06:55 AM
after seeing last 3 matches of windies, i believe we have a fair chance if we can get gayle, chanderpaul, sarwan and lara early. cause rest of them will have problem facing mohammed rafiq and abdur razzak.

sar2005
September 20, 2006, 07:18 AM
So, we have seen only WI top order's batting so far in the DLF cup. Today's match was the 2nd part of WI show in the tournament...........India allout for 162.

.......And they lost the game!!! Encouraging, huh? :D

Braveheart
September 20, 2006, 07:36 AM
If Zimbabwe loses the next match against S Africa, they will also have 33 points; Same as Bangladesh. It will take us a long time to go past West Indies though. But if we keep at it we will have a good position in the points table in about five years.

FaridpurChicago
September 20, 2006, 01:33 PM
WI were all out for below 150. It shows their batting depth when top order not performing. They praised the Indian bowlers. I don't think the pacers were at India's peak when Zaheer K, Pathan, Nehra, Balaji were at their best. West Indies couldn't handle the spin of Harbhajan. We just need our Rafique and Rajjak to click. Most important thing is our batters need to post 250. Then inshallah ..

The strategy will be not to waste our spinners bowling to Lara. Mash should be kept for Lara the way they did for Tikolo. Don't misunderstand from this, I'm not comparing Tikolo with Lara, they are the best batters in both the teams and Lara is specially good against spin.

prasad
September 22, 2006, 01:04 PM
i remember saying exactly this nearly 6-8 months back..bd will find beating sl easy than wi.with 2 90mph+ bowlers bd batsmen will find it tuff.

Sovik
September 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
few weeks left but i still believe we will beat zimbabwe and we are capable of beating west indies and sri lanka but for that we will have to try real hard and the main thing not to throw the wickets

israr
September 23, 2006, 07:41 AM
We're gonna beat SL and Zim, just keep watchin'.

SS
September 23, 2006, 08:54 AM
Mr. israr, i guess your expectations too high, I am watching but I think may be in five years but not at current stage, we can do that. Overall, we didn't practice at all.

bapzmania
September 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
why ppl r so rude.........

kalpurush
September 23, 2006, 12:33 PM

I am with you my friend. Great news as Sujon joined as our national team manager for CT. He is a great motivator and team man. Anything now is possible. I just started counting the days now!;)

Mohiul
September 24, 2006, 08:52 AM
Guys, inshaallah we gonna beat WI & Zim to be in the next phase of CT

Tokyobreeze
September 24, 2006, 09:26 AM
WI is indeed depending completely on few batsmen.Today also they got cleaned up in the final of DLF cup for just 113 in 34.2 overs.That was because most of their few key players failed.If we can pocket Gayle,Sarwan,Chandarpaul and Lara cheaply, we can surely win.I am very much hopeful.

rudro
September 25, 2006, 08:35 AM
[বাংলা][/বাংলা]WI is indeed depending completely on few batsmen.Today also they got cleaned up in the final of DLF cup for just 113 in 34.2 overs.That was because most of their few key players failed.If we can pocket Gayle,Sarwan,Chandarpaul and Lara cheaply, we can surely win.I am very much hopeful.
[বাংলা]ভালই বলেছেন! আমারও ওই এক কথা! [/বাংলা]

Thunder
September 25, 2006, 08:56 AM

Just wait and see that we're gonna crushed by Sangkakara, gayle's bat as now our bowling department is weak.. i can't imagine how helpless they will be... :E

sar2005
September 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
This would be mainly dpendent on our batsmen and how quickly we can take top 4 wickets. But most importantly, we need to win the toss and bat first.

FaridpurChicago
September 25, 2006, 10:19 AM
My view is there is 80% chance of our winning against Zim and we will win. There's 50% chance of our winning against WI since there batting is as miserable as ours. They depend on the Eid day of Gayle, Lara, Chanderpaul; and so do we on Eid days of Ash, Aftab, SN. They got better practice than ours; we got longer batting line up than theirs.
Anyway, we did not lose to Aussies in recent games (in Eng and BD) so badly as WI lost in DLF cup final. I want to say like Israr 'keep on watchin... we will make it'.
We could beat Aussies, Ind, Pak, SL. It's the turn of WI this time. KONO CHARA CHARI NAI.

Sovik
October 2, 2006, 09:58 AM
West Indies can defend the trophy - Lara (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/content/current/story/260972.html)

prasad
October 2, 2006, 10:24 AM
There's 50% chance of our winning against WI

man..that is a bit too much.50%.that makes both bd and wi equals.at present no way.nothing more than 15-20% right now.

Tigers_eye
October 2, 2006, 11:41 AM
man..that is a bit too much.50%.that makes both bd and wi equals.at present no way.nothing more than 15-20% right now.
I would take a 2% chance with a big smile, if one of the percent happens to be in CT 2006.

kalpurush
October 2, 2006, 12:53 PM
man..that is a bit too much for wi.50%.that makes both bd and wi equals.at present no way.bd is in ct with full balls!wi's chance is nothing more than 15-20% right now.

Very true! I am with you my friend.:-D