PDA

View Full Version : Golf

Tigers_eye
September 21, 2006, 04:51 PM
Since .03% of this forum members are strong followers of this sports, therefore, I will only create this thread as a generic thread for all golf news, results for years to come.

Next up: Ryder Cup!!One of the most prestigious golf tournament which is played every two years.

12 of America's finest led by Tom Lehman will face of with the best of 12 of Europe led by Ian Woosnam. Last two times the European handed the Americans a beating that most think can't be matched in years to come. This year the matches will be held at the K Club, Ireland. This tournament is very different than the normal golf tournaments.

1st there will be four ball. Two from each team will play against each other and each player will use their own balls. Thus it is named as four ball. There will be four matches. Then in the after noon there will be foursome. Where each team will alternate shots amoug their team (group of two). Each team will use one ball. There will four such matches.
2nd day same thing will happen. This would total of 16 matches.
3rd day there will be 12 single matches (match play format). That brings the total number of matches to 28. Each match worth a point. a Draw would get a half point for each team. The team goal is to get to 14.5 points. Americans are treditionally strong in singles matchplay. The Europe wants to bury their counterpart early.

Tomorrow the Ryder cup 2006 starts. Here are the followings for the fourball matchups.

Ryder Cup - Friday's fourballs (All times BST)
0800 Padraig Harrington/Colin Montgomerie (EUR) v Tiger Woods/Jim Furyk (USA)

0815 Paul Casey/Robert Karlsson (EUR) v Stewart Cink/JJ Henry (USA)

0830 Sergio Garcia/Jose Maria Olazabal (EUR) v David Toms/Brett Wetterich (USA)

0845 Darren Clarke/Lee Westwood (EUR) v Phil Mickelson/Chris DiMarco (USA)<!-- E BO -->

Go Tiger!!!

Fazal
September 21, 2006, 09:26 PM
...Ya ... she is hot! with or without biki....

Bancan
September 21, 2006, 10:22 PM
since its a golf thread. can anyone teach me the rules and all casue wikipedia confuses me

thebest
September 22, 2006, 05:31 AM
since its a golf thread. can anyone teach me the rules and all casue wikipedia confuses me
Me too
Tiger_Eye would u take the lead in teaching us. First set of question
what is par?birdie?eagle?bunker?

Tigers_eye
September 22, 2006, 08:12 AM
Golf Lesson 1:
Watch Tiger Woods wife "Elin Nordegren". This will motivate you to watch the game more closely in TV. Without motivation how would someone start liking a sport? Back me up Fazal. Do google search by her name. This will motivate you twice as much than just looking at her. Certainly more links you would follow.

Future lessons are also free. Let me know how it went, seriously. Kornikova, Sarapova is dhud-bhat. I live on feedbacks. Then I will start lesson 2 on Mickelson's.

Tigers_eye
September 22, 2006, 09:03 AM
Usually in a golf course there is a two nine holes streaches ot total of 18 holes, the first one is known as front nine and the second one is known as back nine. Each holes are built in differently (how long they are). The course designer sets a number on each hole (This number is known as Par). If one can put his ball in the cup with that many shots then he scores a zero. This is called par. If he can finish the hole with one less shot then he scores -1, which is called as birdie. If he can finish the hole with two less shots then he gets a score of -2, an eagle. Now if the golfer goes over one shot than the designated number he gets a +1 a boggie, +2 double boggie, +3 triple boggie, +4 Quadruple boggie; So on so forth.

Example: Say hole number 1 is set as Par 4. Which means if you take four shots to finish the hole you make a zero or a par. if you take 5 shots then you made +1 or a boggie.

Once everyone finishes the course their scores are tallied. Who ever has the lowest score wins. A tournament usually starts on Thursday, everyone plays one round. Same thing is repeated on Friday. Then a Cut is made. Cut is discarding bad performing players. A ten shot back player from the leader would make the cut or any player who is within the first 60 would make the cut. On Saturday and sunday the tournament continues with who only made the cut. These guys only get paid. Those who didn't make the cut get nothing. At the end of Sunday who ever has the lowest number wins the tournament.

Crash course completed. Now go and enjoy the game. I will talk about clubs (sticks) after a while.

Tigers_eye
September 22, 2006, 09:12 AM
Back to the Rider Cup!!
Tiger and Jim Furyk beat Monty and Harrington and got the US the start they wanted. Cink and Henry halved (Draw). That got US the 1.5 points and Europe .5. From then on it was all Europe. They won the next two. So right now the standing is 1.5 to 2.5 Europe. - Four ball.

4 more matches are going on which are foursome matches. A lot is depending on this. Go Tiger.

Tigers_eye
September 25, 2006, 11:42 AM
Ah!! What a poor show by the Americans. Phil, Di-marco, Toms all the big name was a big flop. 18.5 vs 9.5 score was identical of 2004.

Tiger can't do a thing in foursomes where one has to alternate shots. He won all his fourballs and singles match.

Europe played the team game perfectly. Garcia was simply too good in the team game winning all of them but lost the singles match.

Congratulations Europe!!

Tigers_eye
September 27, 2006, 01:48 PM
Yesterday, one of the greats, Lord Byron Nelson passed away at the age of 94. He holds a golf record that none can ever match. Even Tiger can't dream.

11 tournaments in a row, 18 in a calendar year (1945). That's just not the only numbers that seperates him from the other crowd. His 68.33 ave that year still can't be matched by anyone to date. His 113 consecutive cuts made was only broken by Tiger Woods after standing half a century to time test. he quit golf in his prime at the age of only 34 in 1946. He is the only one to have a PGA tournament named after a person "Byron Nelson Classic". Even Bobby Jones association with Masters don't carry Bobby's name. Nickalus, Parmar, Hogan noone can say the same. Lord Nelson was the man and everyone knew that.

Tigers_eye
September 29, 2006, 11:10 AM
After the dissapointing Ryder Cup Tiger Woods is back at the top of the leaderboard of WGC. All the top players are playing and after two days of play he is 5 shot clear than the second. Unbelievable if you think how stressful Ryder Cup was which ended just last week.

Other Ryder Cup heros Westwood, Ozalabal 10 back, Donald 11, Clarke, DiMarco 12, Monty 15, Garcia, Karlsson 16, Paul Casey, Toms 20 just in two days of play. I would presume if Phil played he would belong to this group also.

Winning by 10+ shots when the best of the best are playing is mind boggling. Not that he didn't do it before. Tiger's A game is that much scary.

Tigers_eye
October 2, 2006, 11:31 AM
And Tiger wants to improve from what he is doing. lol. Yeah, he won the WCG by 8 strokes over Adam Scott and Ian Poulter, finishing 23 under. This is his sixth consecutive PGA event wins. 8 victory already this year. The only man to do it three different years (1999, 2000 and 2006). Sam Snead, A Parmer, Byron Nelson and Hogan did twice.

Adam Scott summed up Tiger's greatness nicely saying: "I need to start playing in tournaments where he is not playing." The field (the best players in the world) recognizes they can't beat him. With golf being a mental game, breaking Nickalus's record of 18 majors seems to be just a matter of time.

Tigers_eye
January 18, 2007, 09:47 AM
January 2007.
New season holds new promises!! Hope we will see some special tournaments. Vijay already won the season opener. Tiger and Mickelson is yet to start this season. Adam Scott became runner-up on the latest tournament. Can wait. Go Tiger go.

Miraz
January 18, 2007, 10:52 AM
Usually in a golf course there is a two nine holes streaches ot total of 18 holes, the first one is known as front nine and the second one is known as back nine. Each holes are built in differently (how long they are). The course designer sets a number on each hole (This number is known as Par). If one can put his ball in the cup with that many shots then he scores a zero. This is called par. If he can finish the hole with one less shot then he scores -1, which is called as birdie. If he can finish the hole with two less shots then he gets a score of -2, an eagle. Now if the golfer goes over one shot than the designated number he gets a +1 a boggie, +2 double boggie, +3 triple boggie, +4 Quadruple boggie; So on so forth.

Example: Say hole number 1 is set as Par 4. Which means if you take four shots to finish the hole you make a zero or a par. if you take 5 shots then you made +1 or a boggie.

If I understand your lessons correctly, is following calculation correct??

Total 18 holes. Let's say, designer set 4 shots for each hole (par). So, a total of 72 shots to cover all 18 holes. Now, if a golfer takes 68 shots to cover all holes he will finish - 4 and if someonbe takes 80 shots to cover the holes he will finish +8. In that case first one will be the winner by a margin of 12.

Is that right?

Is there any other bonus for covering a particular hole well below par (no. of shots) ?

Tigers_eye
January 18, 2007, 11:03 AM
You are absolutely correct, and there is no bonus points.

Few years back PGA had started one tournament where the scoring is different. They award points for each birdie (-2), eagle (-5), par (0), bogie (+1), double (+2) and so on so forth. Players score is calculated each hole. The lowest score wins the tourney. This was to encourage players to play aggressively and attack the course and make it sellable to the TV viewers. But that is just one tournament all year long.

Those who are interested, I would suggest them to visit a "driving range" where you can rent ($5 US) a bucket of golf balls keep hacking at them to your hearts content. I presume if you say you are a first timer I bet they will give you a discount and free clubs to hit with. The trick is once you hit your first ball you will be hooked for life. Then they would make money.

Miraz
January 18, 2007, 01:45 PM
Now, one more question..

What if, two to three players end up with same cumulative score at the end. Is there any policy to decide the winner?

Tigers_eye
January 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
Now, one more question..

What if, two to three players end up with same cumulative score at the end. Is there any policy to decide the winner?
Different tournament has different policiies in deciding who would be the winner. These are some of the rules:

1. Only those players tied at the top play another 18 hole next day.
2. Play a three hole playoffs, 16, 17 and 18. Then if tied go back to 16 and play sudden death (whoever wins the hole wins it).
3. Play 18 again. If tied play 17, and 18 again as sudden death. (Most tournaments are set in this way)

There can only be one (one winner).

Tigers_eye
February 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
Tiger starts his 2007 season with a win which puts him in second highest consecutive streak of winning tournaments (7 PGA tournament in a row). He has surpassed his own mark of 6 in a row (twice). Still four behind the untouchable record of 11.

Tigers_eye
February 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
Classic melt down by Phil Mickelson. With a 3 stroke lead to start the day and then losing it in the playoffs shows how vulnarable this man is. He missed 3 puts inside the four feet. :) Howell beat him with an excellent round of 65 and a steady par runs in the playoffs. This ends is 12 second place finishes.

I am looking forward of Tiger joining back the PGA tour. The streak is at 7 and counting.

Tigers_eye
February 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
Match play champion is on. Tiger is having difficulty against Aussie Nick O'Hern. they are all square after 16. At one point Tiger was 4 down and then came bak and took the lead. Tiger lost to O'Hern last year in the same tourney.

Phil, Vijay, Fuyrk, Garcia, Goosen all out already. Sweet 16 going on and next round would be elite eight.

Tigers_eye
April 6, 2007, 11:07 AM
Masters is on. The most prestigious/important tournament in the world where you don't get any cup or anything when you win it. You get a ugly looking green Jacket. lol.

Today is the second day.

Brett Wetterich (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Brett+Wetterich/1004/scorecard/2007/15) is leading at -4. Justin Rose (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Justin+Rose/1038/scorecard/2007/15) at -3. There are six guys at -1 till this point. Tiger is at +3 right now.

Lets go Tiger. Time to make a move now.

cricman
April 6, 2007, 07:19 PM
Tiger 5 back with 36 holes to go, I still like his chances.

Tigers_eye
April 8, 2007, 09:15 AM
Tiger one back 18 holes to go. lol

It is hard to watch Australia - England while Tiger is roaring. Hopefully Aus will thrash Eng by that time (before lunch). BD needs England perish with in 150.

cricman
April 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
It's Goosen vs Tiger @ the Masters, IMO the he's the only player who's the ***** to take Tiger Down, but it's a South African vs a Tiger and we saw that played out yesterday :). Lets Go Tiger, wouldn't mind seeing Goose win though I like him 50X more than lefty.

Tigers_eye
May 8, 2007, 08:34 AM
Players Champion next week. Tigers looks ready to win with his "C" game. His body is taking the toll and his back is acting up. Welcome to the 30's.

Tigers_eye
June 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
After his second Laser eye surgery Tiger is slowly getting into rythm. "Tigers eye surgery" has a ring to it, lol.

KJ Choi won the memorial. Phil was a no show with a wrist injury.

US open is nearing.

Mahir
June 6, 2007, 01:05 AM
Lefty isnt showing up at Memphis before the US Open nears. He's to get an cortisone shot in his left wrist. He better be in full health to play the US Open.

On another note, President's Cup Golf tournament this year might not feature leading Canadians Mike Weir and Stephen Ames. That's not too good for those die-hard golf lovers here north of the border. :lol: Blame Gary Player, being the International captain, he's in no mood for sentimental picks to fill the International side in this tourny. He wants every player to play their way into the squads, and make a place by merit and not name/fame.

Tigers_eye
June 7, 2007, 10:28 AM
Player is the man who takes no prisoners. I like him. Even if he is against Jack, Trevino, Floyd. Ernie, Goosen and the new aussie waves would dominate the team. They should be able to tackle the Americans with ease.

I cheered for Weir so loud against Hefty in that masters win, may be they heard me from augusta. The better lefty won it first. :)

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
Alrighty, the US Open is going to start this thursday in Oakmount Pennsylvania. The most physically challenging courses. Last years champion Geoff Ogilvy will face the usual suspect to dethrown him. Tiger, Phil, Harrington, Scott, Vijay, Ernie, Gooson, Weir (the other lefty) and so many others. I have a feeling someone unknown would win this one too.

Good luck to Tiger. I hope his eye sight is back to sharp after the operation.

Tigers_eye
June 14, 2007, 10:00 AM
The grusome course is starring down the players with heat becoming a factor. Those who want to see live in action can tune in to the following channels.

Tournament Airtimes This Week <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000>http://images.thegolfchannel.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=2>U.S. Open (http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=11106&dv=8432579&select=9622)</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>http://images.thegolfchannel.com/images/spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://images.thegolfchannel.com/images/tours/USGA74x32.gif (http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=11106&dv=8432579&select=9622)</TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Thursday 6/14</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">10:00 AM - 3:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">ESPN</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Thursday 6/14</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">3:00 PM - 5:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">NBC</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Thursday 6/14</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">5:00 PM - 7:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">ESPN</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Friday 6/15</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">10:00 AM - 3:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">ESPN</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Friday 6/15</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">3:00 PM - 5:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">NBC</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Friday 6/15</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">5:00 PM - 7:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">ESPN</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Saturday 6/16</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">1:00 PM - 7:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">NBC</TD></TR><TR><TD class=medium colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=medium width="35%">Sunday 6/17</TD><TD class=medium width="55%">1:00 PM - 7:00 PM ET</TD><TD class=medium width="16%">NBC</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The leaderboard of top ten is posted below.
<TABLE class=sportsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><THEAD><TR><TH class="position first">Pos (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=pos_display)</TH><TH class="player ">Name (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=name)</TH><TH class="">1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=rnd_display_1)</TH><TH class="">2 (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=rnd_display_2)</TH><TH class="">3 (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=rnd_display_3)</TH><TH class="">4 (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=rnd_display_4)</TH><TH class="">Today (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=today_display)</TH><TH class="">Thru (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=completed_holes_display)</TH><TH class="total selected descending ">Total (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=total_display&order=asc)</TH><TH class=last>Strokes (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/leaderboard?sort=strokes_display)</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T1 </TD><TD class="player ">David Toms (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/David+Toms/163/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">29 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-2 </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-2 </TD><TD class=last>29 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T1 </TD><TD class="player ">Angel Cabrera (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Angel+Cabrera/494/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">26 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-2 </TD><TD class="">7 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-2 </TD><TD class=last>26 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T3 </TD><TD class="player ">Jose Maria Olazabal (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Jose+Maria+Olazabal/88/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">34 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-1 </TD><TD class="">9 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-1 </TD><TD class=last>34 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T3 </TD><TD class="player ">Jerry Kelly (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Jerry+Kelly/183/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">27 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-1 </TD><TD class="">7 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-1 </TD><TD class=last>27 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T3 </TD><TD class="player ">Retief Goosen (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Retief+Goosen/484/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">27 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-1 </TD><TD class="">7 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-1 </TD><TD class=last>27 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T3 </TD><TD class="player ">Peter Hanson (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Peter+Hanson/3976/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">19 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-1 </TD><TD class="">5 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-1 </TD><TD class=last>19 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T3 </TD><TD class="player ">Pat Perez (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Pat+Perez/3462/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">20 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">-1 </TD><TD class="">5 </TD><TD class="total selected ">-1 </TD><TD class=last>20 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Olin Browne (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Olin+Browne/190/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">35 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">9 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>35 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Nick Dougherty (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Nick+Dougherty/2969/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">35 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">9 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>35 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Ernie Els (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Ernie+Els/15/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">35 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">9 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>35 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Pablo Martin-Benavide (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Pablo+MartinBenavide/4851/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">35 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">9 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>35 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Michael Campbell (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Michael+Campbell/1050/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">31 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>31 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Padraig Harrington (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Padraig+Harrington/404/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">31 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>31 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Ryuji Imada (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Ryuji+Imada/2856/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">31 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>31 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Thomas Bjorn (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Thomas+Bjorn/367/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">31 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>31 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Tiger Woods (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Tiger+Woods/147/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">31 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>31 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Stuart Appleby (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Stuart+Appleby/142/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">31 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>31 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Ben Curtis (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Ben+Curtis/3843/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">27 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">7 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>27 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Zach Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Zach+Johnson/2739/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">24 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">6 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>24 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Rory Sabbatini (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Rory+Sabbatini/1745/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">24 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">6 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>24 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Niclas Fasth (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Niclas+Fasth/695/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">24 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">6 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>24 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Anders Hansen (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Anders+Hansen/1649/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">20 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">5 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>20 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Johan Edfors (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Johan+Edfors/5951/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">21 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">5 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>21 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Harrison Frazar (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Harrison+Frazar/693/scorecard/2007/24)* </TD><TD class="">16 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">4 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>16 </TD></TR><TR class=oddRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Ryan Palmer (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Ryan+Palmer/1000/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">8 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">2 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>8 </TD></TR><TR class=evenRow><TD class="position first">T8 </TD><TD class="player ">Jason Allen (http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/players/Jason+Allen/996/scorecard/2007/24) </TD><TD class="">4 </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">- </TD><TD class="">E </TD><TD class="">1 </TD><TD class="total selected ">E </TD><TD class=last>4 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tiger watch: he started with an early boggie and now recovered. finishing at even or better would be good.

cricman
June 14, 2007, 12:26 PM
+1 after day 1, he's in good position most of the players ahead of him will blow up during some point in next three days and I predict Lefty to have a score of +8.

Tigers_eye
June 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hefty on his way. +2 after 7.
Some other delighting scores:

Garcia: +9.
Monty: +6.
DiMarco: +6.
Zack Johnson: +6 (current master's champ)
Gooson: +6.
Justin Leanard: +5.

Scores that bother me:
Ben Curtis: +1 (British Open champ)
Geoff Ogilvy: +1 (defending US Open champ)
Rose, Furyk, Beam currently at -1.
Olazabal: Even.
Ernie: +3.

Tigers_eye
June 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
Bad sign. After +4 finish yesterday Phil is roaring today. He is -2 for the day and not even started the back nine yet. Ah! that's the key, back nine. Hoping for a tumbling finish.

Tiger starts at 1:36 EST. I don't think anyone would finish at Even today.

cricman
June 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
The winner is going to have a final Score of +10 believe me the scores are only going to get higher and Higher

Sohel
June 16, 2007, 06:41 AM
thanks mijan, i was afraid to open a golf thread myself.

GO TIGER (who else ?)

the bhatiary course totally ROCKS BTW.

Sohel
June 16, 2007, 03:38 PM
Tiger's making his move ... long birdie attempt on 11 ... slows a bit too early ... should be an easy par to stay at +3 ... Stricker makes phenomenal shot to tie for 11th at +7.

cricman
June 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
If Tiger Makes his putts he's scores 64, oh well He's still got this tommorow

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 04:29 PM
Aaron "what a name" Baddeley is starting to blow it big time. Tiger continues to miss those shorter birdie putts. Good comeback from Cabrera.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 04:55 PM
Cabrera's "almost eagle" at the 15th maybe all she wrote ... Tiger needs to sink those birdies now.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
Cabrera sinks it ... 3 shot lead ... -3 for the day.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 05:00 PM
Tough chip shot from Tiger at the 12th ... difficult putt ahead for a birdie ... Tiger plays it safe.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
Furyk on Tiger's tail ... looks like his 3rd birdie in a row to move ahead of Tiger for 2nd.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 05:10 PM
Tiger makes his move ... well set to sink his 2nd birdie of the day at the lucky 13th.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 05:14 PM
Tiger fails to make the awkward, outside right putt for a birdie at the 13th ... DAMN !

cricman
June 17, 2007, 06:40 PM
Aye, Second consecutive 2nd place finish for Tiger well theres always the british open

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 06:41 PM
Cabrera wins the US Open ... 77th champion in the 107-year history. What a game !

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
Aye, Second consecutive 2nd place finish for Tiger well theres always the british open

Yep, and 20 more years of golf from the greatest ever ... yummy.

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2007, 08:55 AM
Cabrera played magnificant. Didn't faze at the end with pressure from Furyk. Tiger mean while couldn't buy a birdie. last 32 holes he only managed one. You can't win like that. 0 - 29 when not leading or sharing on the final day pairing. 12 - 0 when sharing or having the lead.

Missed opportunity for Tiger. Come to think of it Jack finished 2nd in majors 19 times to go with his 18 titles. The great ones miss alot. :)

Beamer
June 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
I was at Oakmont for a few hours yesterday, courtesy of company "hand me down" tkt. Tiger's security detail is as large as the President of any country ! It was unbelievable. Had a glimpse of him from far. Furyk was getting amazing support because of his Western PA roots and simply for being an avid Steeler fan!

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2007, 01:03 PM
Lucky you! Did you manage to take any pictures?

I heard one can't get tickets for 2009 US Opens? And for Masters one can get in to waiting list and chances to watch live would ran in to 2025. Your company must have bought them few years back (unless sponsors).

Beamer
June 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Lucky you! Did you manage to take any pictures?

I heard one can't get tickets for 2009 US Opens? And for Masters one can get in to waiting list and chances to watch live would ran in to 2025. Your company must have bought them few years back (unless sponsors).

No cameras, or cell phones were allowed unless you were with the press !

We are not direct sponsors but have clients ( companies )who are. I left in late afternoon before it was all over.

Miraz
July 9, 2007, 08:49 AM
T_E bhai, While I was in Netherlands for the last 10 days for a research course/conference, I participated in the traditional dutch "Farmers Golf" competition.

http://images.scotsman.com/2006/08/29/2006-08-29T135810Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_2_OUKOE-UK-DUTCH-FARMERSGOLF.jpg

Here's a pic to understand the Farmers Golf (from web), It's played in the meadow with club similar to one showed on the picture and uses small handball ball as the ball.

I became champion in my first ever attempt with Golf (albeit a very different one). It was a 15 hole course with a total 750 meter distance to cover. I scored 2 birdies and 5 par and finished +6 to win the competition. A total 120 players played in the competition.

It was great fun and now I am seriously thinking about playing proper golf. :D

Tigers_eye
July 9, 2007, 09:19 AM
Now ain't that something!! Winner at first go, wow!! I think this is second time that happened in the world. The first time happened when the first tournament was played in the 1700's or 1600's. ;)

Thank you for sharing this unique experience. I like the back ground. Holland at its best.

Now this should motivate you enough to go to the driving range and hit some balls (real balls, real clubs - they provide it). That is the best way to go before going to any course. This is a sport once you get hooked there is no returning.

Tigers_eye
July 17, 2007, 02:28 PM
"The open" starts at Carnoustie this Thursday. I am tired of Tiger flirting around the final day. He needs to finish off the field within 3 days. Enough is enough. There aren't that many majors left after this one.

Faldo is trying to attract media and ending up critizing his own young players. Harrington's reply was perfect.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/6903095.stm

Sohel
July 18, 2007, 01:48 PM
I was at the Bhatiyari Golf Club last week ... thought of T_E and cricman while I was there.

Tigers_eye
July 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
1) Are you a member?
2) Do one need a General to accompany him/her?
3) Do guests get in free? If not, how much is the entry fee?
4) Can guests rent clubs there for a round? Or do they have to bring their own clubs?
5) How big is the course?
6) How many holes are there?
7) Does the course stay open all year long or just the summer months?

Sohel
July 19, 2007, 05:47 AM
1) Are you a member?
2) Do one need a General to accompany him/her?
3) Do guests get in free? If not, how much is the entry fee?
4) Can guests rent clubs there for a round? Or do they have to bring their own clubs?
5) How big is the course?
6) How many holes are there?
7) Does the course stay open all year long or just the summer months?

I'll get you in bro. Being an army brat has huge advantages. It's one of the best kept secrets of Asia. Many Japanese, Korean, Thai and Taiwanese golfers fly to Chittagong directly just to play here. Here's the link-

http://www.bhatiarygolf.com/

Tigers_eye
July 19, 2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Sohel Bhai.

"The Open" has begun.
Tiger 2 off the leader. finished 2 under. he is back at the practice field. He wants this one bad.
hefty hasn't started yet. Ernie is in for a little trouble. one over.

I guess the big threat would come from Campbell and an Arkansan JOHN DALY. both at 3 under. John has won british open and campbell fought off a charging tiger two years ago. Lots of golf left.

The condition was hard. Typical scottish summer. Chilly, windy and rainy lol. Paul McKinley is the current leader at -4.

Those who are little bit interested try to watch few rounds if possible. World's most prestigious tourney going on.

Tigers_eye
July 19, 2007, 12:07 PM
Garcia?? No way!! O well he will flop as usual. He is the leader right now. -5. few holes left.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/6904921.stm
Follow live text from "The Open".

Tigers_eye
July 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
tis suxs.
Garcia 6 under. grrrr!!!! Tomorrow he'll be four over (hoping).

Tigers_eye
July 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
Hefty and David toms both posted +6 today. I think they can't make the cut.

The wind is blowing today.

Garcia, duked it out with an even. many times he flirted with bogey but some how saved the hole. Tiger just stared the condition seems to get better. anything in the red today would be positive for Tiger. who knows he can go -3 and just move up the leaderboard. Lots of golf is still left.

Tigers_eye
July 20, 2007, 11:03 AM
Tiger struggling. Double boggie to begin with. got back one in the second. Then two more boggies on the front nine. currently +3 overall +1. Brutal. Pick it up Tiger. Were is that ranger wreck?

Sohel
July 20, 2007, 06:05 PM
Tiger struggling. Double boggie to begin with. got back one in the second. Then two more boggies on the front nine. currently +3 overall +1. Brutal. Pick it up Tiger. Were is that ranger wreck?

The 90-footer was a thing of beauty ... tough weekend ahead for Tiger.

Sohel
July 22, 2007, 03:58 PM
Garcia lost ... YES !!!

tonoy
July 22, 2007, 05:59 PM
ewww. golf. ewwwww

Tigers_eye
August 6, 2007, 02:04 PM
Tiger just won the bridgestone third year in a row. Now he won the same tournament 3 times in a row twice. The only golfer in the world ever to achieve this feet. Made 1.3 mill just four days of work. (3 hours a day). Hourly over 100k. :)

Rory Sabatini his playing partner was leading by one shot before the Sunday and was pairing with him. Earlier he had made some comments on Tiger which had made Tiger mad. Bad choice.

1st Rory said he wanted Tiger head to head on a final round. Then he said he liked the new Tiger and he was beatable. At the end of the tournament Tiger won by 8 shots. :)

Sohel
August 6, 2007, 04:00 PM
Tiger just won the bridgestone third year in a row. Now he won the same tournament 3 times in a row twice. The only golfer in the world ever to achieve this feet. Made 1.3 mill just four days of work. (3 hours a day). Hourly over 100k. :)

Rory Sabatini his playing partner was leading by one shot before the Sunday and was pairing with him. Earlier he had made some comments on Tiger which had made Tiger mad. Bad choice.

1st Rory said he wanted Tiger head to head on a final round. Then he said he liked the new Tiger and he was beatable. At the end of the tournament Tiger won by 8 shots. :)

Good show before the PGA Championships. Rory's interested in stirring things up, things that will bite him you know where as he continues to get his tush whipped by Tiger.

Puck
August 7, 2007, 05:42 AM
this thread brings back memories of skipping general studies when i was 15 and running away to swanshurst golf course through the girl's school bike shed! it wasn't a full size course and you only needed a wood and a putter but it provided a more interesting option than spending the afternoon in horticultural pursuits..

Tigers_eye
August 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
5 bogies and 4 birdies. Not good Tiger.

Hey! Daly on the leaderboard. Arkansas connection. Way to go.

Tigers_eye
August 10, 2007, 03:57 PM
Tiger slowly but steadily climbing up the leaderboard. The way he is going a 6 under is very much possible. That would put him as a sole leader.

Miraz
August 11, 2007, 10:27 AM
Tiger slowly but steadily climbing up the leaderboard. The way he is going a 6 under is very much possible. That would put him as a sole leader.

Wise man. :)

Tiger is now is the sole leader with 6 under.

Here's the leader board
Leading players:
-6 (36) T Woods
-4 (36) S Verplank
-3 (36) G Ogilvy
-3 (36) S Ames
-2 (36) W Austin

Tigers_eye
August 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wise man. :)

Tiger is now is the sole leader with 6 under.
Thanks. Years of watching golf would give most of the people to make a calculated guess on Tiger. He is that good and keeps his gameplan according to the situation.

I had also predicted to my wife -7 after three days and -8 after day four to win the title. The only thing wasn't right was Woody's and Els's score. I had Tiger winning by 4 instead of 2.

++++++

Anyways, Tiger showed great control and poise. Unbelievable conditioning (body). He was ripped like a line-backer and I am sure, no professional golfer can physically challenge Tiger. I wonder what his body fat is. Guessing would be below 5%. The tempreture was scortching hot. And in this sizzling hot and humid weather he was steady and calm like Tiger.

13 done. 5 more to go. See you at Augusta.

Sohel
August 19, 2007, 03:34 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnSQ6puqzV8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnSQ6puqzV8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJP8KYlKibQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJP8KYlKibQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Tigers_eye
February 21, 2008, 12:38 PM
Tiger does the unthinkable. 3 shots down five holes to go in a matchplay. He wins it in regulation. Meaning he wins last four of five holes and evens the other hole. Shear willpower and determination.

The biggest professional matchplay tournament (Accenture Match Play Championship) in the world, 1st round match up between Tiger and JB Holmes. Who is Holmes? He is a no body PGA tour player who just happened to eat Mickleson's lunch two weeks back. He was down by two with two holes to play and beat hefty in the first hole of the playoffs. :) So JB was in-form.

I am going to soon change my Avatar from the Avatar Aang to Tiger.

Tigers_eye
April 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
Go Tiger!! Get your fifth green jacket and I wish you complete your grand slam this year. Time has come.

Tigers_eye
April 10, 2008, 09:51 AM
And the competition has begun. Slocum is two under and leading. Tiger starts at 11:45am.

Gary Player is still amazingly fit. He is competing, wow!! Only player to have over 3 majors other than Tiger in this field. He won 3 Masters, 3 British, 1 US open, 2 PGA majors. He also won Australian open 7 times. This is at the same era when Arnie and Jack were racking up major victories. He got his share. This will be his 51st Master tournament that he is playing. A record. He is 72 year old.

Tigers_eye
April 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
Tiger facing an uphill battle. 6 shots off the lead already. finished 14.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 02:25 AM
Looking forward to tonight's drama. Tiger's just 3 strokes behind and well-poised to make his move in a difficult course where a single bad shot can make you drop 2 or 3.

GO TIGER !

cricman
April 13, 2008, 03:23 AM
Immelman played out of his mind, Eldrick 6 back but the conditions will be super tough I think if Tiger makes a few putts the rest of these will choke. Tiger in Red on Sundays those Roars will be loud.

Tiger shoots 66, the rest of these guys ahead of him are inexperienced I think they'll shoot around 75.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 02:32 PM
Tiger's 6 strokes behind Immelman ... :(

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
Now just 5 behind ... is this the beginning of his move ???

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
Immelman easily sinks one to maintain his -10 so far.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
Tiger's tee-ing off @ the 7th, middle of fairway.

He needs a bit of "help' from Immelman here.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 03:26 PM
Tiger needs to be nothing short of scary on the back 9 to pull this one off.

cricman
April 13, 2008, 03:29 PM
Tiger needs to be noithing short of scary on the back 9 to pull this one off.

It's over, he'd have to Birdie out the last 9 holes and Immelman is out of his mind. Plus tiger looks fatigued and sick. Black and Pink come on Tiger change your shirt and get your Red Tee on for the back 9.

Tiger got the U.S open

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 03:58 PM
It's over, he'd have to Birdie out the last 9 holes and Immelman is out of his mind. Plus tiger looks fatigued and sick. Black and Pink come on Tiger change your shirt and get your Red Tee on for the back 9.

Tiger got the U.S open

You're probably right ... :sigh:

Anyway, the cable outage just blue screened my Start Sports here in Dhaka ... :(

cricman
April 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
He just Bogeyed 10, Immelman is playing really tight, Snedekar is choking. Mickelson might post a number. Flesch looks like the favorite.

cricman
April 13, 2008, 04:20 PM
Super Putt for Birdie on 11 by Tiger, Immelman just saw it

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:21 PM
Tiger Birdies the 11th. Amazing putt that curved left !

Just 5 behind Immelman.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
Karlson eagles the 15th to move ahead @ -2.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:29 PM
H2O damage opens a door for Tiger as he finds the trees. Coming hard from the left.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:33 PM
Phil finishes @ -2.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well done Tiger to get out of that spot of bother !

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
What a shot from Tiger, almost holed that one !

Second place in plain sight ... :D

cricman
April 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
Big putt by Immelman for par

Tiger Has 7 feet for Birdie

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
Immelman makes the putt, admirable grit and touch.

cricman
April 13, 2008, 04:45 PM
Tiger choked :( on the gimmie Birdie

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:45 PM
Tiger fails to birdie @ 13 and put pressure Immelman, BUMMER ! ... :(

cricman
April 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
Immelman still has real tough chip

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:52 PM
What a putt for an eagle !

Snedeker makes amends for the bogey earlier.

cricman
April 13, 2008, 04:54 PM
What a putt for an eagle !

It was a birdie

Tiger 4 back

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
Immelman bogeys ... -9.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
It was a birdie

Tiger 4 back

The Snedeker putt ? Really ? It's 3:55 here in Dhaka and I'm losing focus. Been up since 4:40.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Tiger fails to birdie the 14th.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
Tiger misses the 9' par ... DAYM !

cricman
April 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
Tiger and Ash broke my heart today :(

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:04 PM
Tiger and Ash broke my heart today :(

I feel you bro.

But I'm used to Ash doing so by now. I don't expect him to be all he can be before his late 20s to early 30s. Anything in between is a bonus for me. Just a few runs from him and a bit of smart thinking with regards to Rajib and Farhad would've given us victory today.

Anyway, I'll NEVER give up on him.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Snedeker finds H2O ! What an error !

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:08 PM
What a shot from Immelman ! He has this one in the bag.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:10 PM
Now Flesch bogey the 14th, "one of the easiest holes" !

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:11 PM
Snedeker plays it well to create a par opportunity.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:13 PM
Snedeker fails to save his par.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:14 PM
Immelman birdies the 13th and takes a 5 shot lead with 5 holes to go.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:35 PM
Tight fight for 2nd place now unless Immelman does SEVERAL Sohel NRs which he won't !

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
Immelman nearly birdies the 15th, SMOOKIN ' !

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:44 PM
Snedeker birdies to stand alone at 2nd place.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:54 PM
Tiger finishes -5.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:56 PM
Immelman drops 2 @ the 16th.

3 shot lead with 2 holes to play.

Sohel
April 13, 2008, 05:57 PM
Snedeker drops one to push Tiger alone @ 2nd.

Tigers_eye
April 14, 2008, 08:34 AM
Jack had 18 majors. jack also had 19 2nd place finishes. Tiger is trying to catch him in both categories. lol.

Congrats Immelman, the 2008 Masters champion!!

cricman
April 15, 2008, 10:23 PM
Tiger was playing with one Knee, the cat is great. How you finish 2nd in the Masters with a Bum Knee? And If Immelmans ball falls in the water like it was supposed too and if tiger got 1 putt to go down he would have had #14.

Knee Surgey for Tiger, He'll try to make it for the U.S Open.

Sohel
April 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
Tiger was playing with one Knee, the cat is great. How you finish 2nd in the Masters with a Bum Knee? And If Immelmans ball falls in the water like it was supposed too and if tiger got 1 putt to go down he would have had #14.

Knee Surgey for Tiger, He'll try to make it for the U.S Open.

Spot on observation.

BTW, do you think he'll heal in time for the Open ?

Tigers_eye
April 18, 2008, 02:35 PM
Spot on observation.

BTW, do you think he'll heal in time for the Open ?
Nothing can be past him. He is listed doubtful for US open. I say comes and wins it. He already won a US title on that course. :)

Tigers_eye
June 16, 2008, 04:08 PM
And he does it. With showing his pain althrough five days (playoffs). His knees just held up enough. So now the standing is:

Total The Masters US Open British Open PGA Championship
----- ----------- ------- ------------ ----------------

Jack Nicklaus 18 6 4 3 5
Tiger Woods 14 4 3 3 4
Walter Hagen 11 0 2 4 5
Ben Hogan 9 2 4 1 2
Gary Player 9 3 1 3 2
Tom Watson 8 2 15 0
Harry Vardon 7 0 1 6 0
Bobby Jones 7 0 4 3 0
Gene Sarazen 7 1 2 1 3
Sam Snead 7 3 0 1 3
Arnold Palmer 7 4 1 2 0
Nick Faldo 6 3 0 3 0
Lee Trevino 6 0 2 2 2
James Braid 5 0 0 5 0
J.H. Taylor 5 0 0 5 0
Byron Nelson 5 2 1 0 2
Peter Thomson 5 0 0 5 0
Seve Ballesteros 5 2 0 3 0

cricman
June 16, 2008, 11:15 PM
A great quote from Tiger

"You keep playing," Woods said. "Whatever it is, you just keep going, keep going forward. All my buddies and I used to, when we were working out, used to always say 'Four.' How many more reps do you have? Four. Four-ever. And that's the idea. You just keep going, and there's no finish line, and you just keep pushing and pushing."

Arnab
June 17, 2008, 04:07 AM
A great quote from Tiger

I don't get all this hoopla about golf. On multiple levels. From a spectator's perspective, i.e., from "our" perspectives.

First, Golf is more boring than test cricket, if that is possible. And it's a gigantic waste of space. There are tens of millions of people in my country who are living in shantytowns. They could use a golf court or two, or maybe ten of them. Golf is for filthy rich bastards who have nothing else to do but kill a vast amount of space and a vast amount of time. Golf is a four-dimensional sin.

Second, Tiger Woods? Who is this guy? An athletic young black dude with the face of a Thai busboy? He is probably the only young guy in a sport that is predominantly played by cigar-smoking 50 year old obese white upper class folks with giant hanging man boobs on them. He looks so out of place that it's not even fair. Imagine a heavyweight boxer taking part in a brawl at an old home. Imagine Man U playing in the Dhaka football league. If this is not faka mathe goal mara, then I don't know what is. And where are the other black athletic dudes in golf? Oh right, they are actually in athletics, or in the NBA! Tiger sure picked the right sport to dominate.

Sorry if I broke your heart. I just had to get it off my chest. It's as if I am among blind people. Don't take it seriously.

BANFAN
June 17, 2008, 05:16 AM
I don't get all this hoopla about golf. On multiple levels. From a spectator's perspective, i.e., from "our" perspectives.

First, Golf is more boring than test cricket, if that is possible. And it's a gigantic waste of space. There are tens of millions of people in my country who are living in shantytowns. They could use a golf court or two, or maybe ten of them. Golf is for filthy rich bastards who have nothing else to do but kill a vast amount of space and a vast amount of time. Golf is a four-dimensional sin..

I disagree. A shot in golf takes some time, because they put in a lots of thoughts and perfection into the action to achieve the best result. A nick in cricket might get to boundary, but a nick in Golf will always take you OB or Hazards. It has to be perfect man. You have to have apetite for perfectionism to like Golf.

Second, Tiger Woods? Who is this guy? An athletic young black dude with the face of a Thai busboy? He is probably the only young guy in a sport that is predominantly played by cigar-smoking 50 year old obese white upper class folks with giant hanging man boobs on them. He looks so out of place that it's not even fair. Imagine a heavyweight boxer taking part in a brawl at an old home. Imagine Man U playing in the Dhaka football league. If this is not faka mathe goal mara, then I don't know what is. And where are the other black athletic dudes in golf? Oh right, they are actually in athletics, or in the NBA! Tiger sure picked the right sport to dominate.

Golf as I said is all about looking for perfection. That's why it generally develops over a period of time. Tiger was too young to attain perfection to compete with big boys. But if you have followed golf, almost all those Ranatuga/Goochy guys are playing since their young days. Still there are plenty of young boys play golf. But unlike most of other sports, in most of the tournaments you have to comethrough a preliminary round played all over. So we generally see the established players making it to the final rounds. Atheleticism is necessary but there are too many other things related with it to make a perfect shot. That's why experience gets an advantage in this game. So many young kids are crowding into golf these days is unbelieveable. One can only get better with age.

You will fall in love and get addicted if you learn to play. A golfer never stops playing golf until he dies. Golf is not only a sports, it's a sporting way of life man....

Hope I don't sound like giving lectures :)

Arnab
June 17, 2008, 08:36 AM
Sorry, but I think your argument stinks. Perfection? That's your argument? Which sport isn't a pursuit of perfection? Look, the same argument can be given for precision sports like snooker, billiard, carom, etc. The difference is they waste a lot less space and a lot less time.

And if Golf is the kind of game that takes time to perfect, then why aren't the veterans burying Tiger with their experience more often? Following that logic, we should see Els, Mickelson, etc. kill those drives and putts, and at least be in contention, in top 5 of every final round of a major. Why aren't they doing that?

My theory is that Golf is popular because it's backed by big corporations who put a lot of money in it. Money is always good. They also buy a lot of media time because of the money. I don't want to watch golf when I can watch a thousand times more exciting tennis match, or a 20/20 cricket match, or a football match, or just about any sport, because chances are it's much less boring and much less time consuming than watching golf. Seriously, as a viewer, what am I supposed to do when a golfer is thinking for 5 minutes about his next shot? And then strolling for another 5 minutes towards the ball. Sit in front of the TV like a moron?

And Tiger? Well he is American, that's the first thing. Americans always give enormous amount of media time on an American sporting hero. And if he is really good, like Tiger here, they go overboard. I remember how cycling was a big thing in the United States just a few years back, solely because of Lance Armstrong. I suspect now it has died down because an American is not dominating any more.

I intend to pick up Golf as well...probably when I am rich, fat, white and 50+, and when I can't run and think fast anymore.

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
And it's a gigantic waste of space. There are tens of millions of people in my country who are living in shantytowns. They could use a golf court or two, or maybe ten of them. Golf is for filthy rich bastards who have nothing else to do but kill a vast amount of space and a vast amount of time. Golf is a four-dimensional sin.
Arnab go join Mother Teresa's organization and use your God given Money, energy and brain wisely. What makes you different than a hypocrite?

Arnab
June 17, 2008, 09:48 AM
Arnab go join Mother Teresa's organization and use your God given Money, energy and brain wisely. What makes you different than a hypocrite?

How so? I criticize golf, so I am a hypocrite? You golf fans are strange.

How can one even defend golf other than the money factor? Golf is a game that literally, yes, literally constitutes "a walk in the park" most of the time. You play a shot, it hits the fairway/rough/bunkers/whatever/who cares, then you light up a cigar, sip a little coffee, chat and joke with your caddy, take a walk in the park and then think hard for 5 minutes, then take your next shot, the wind carries it over to the wrong place. Whoops! Oh well, no worries, you take another walk in the park, listen to the chirping of the birds, take as much time as you can, look a little thoughtful, and make the next shot. What tension! What stress! What an adrenaline rush! At the end of the day, you get big bucks thanks to generous corporate sponsors. And a worldwide recognition because of TV channels that are owned by the same corporations. A very, very nice "sport" indeed.

I have got to give it to Tiger though. He is a classy showman. He doesn't need the muscles. He doesn't need the woohoos, nor the fist pumps. It's frigging golf. He just beat a 45 year old Rocco Mediate (who?) for a major, that too with a bad knee. That's as tough as it gets in golf. But he makes it look like it's a mighty struggle. It's as if he got elbowed in the face on the football pitch, as if a tennis ball is coming at him at 127 miles an hour, it's as if he did a full length dive and picked up a catch on a cricket field. He looks so thoughtful before a putt, as if he is playing chess, thinking about the next 5 moves and playing 3 opponents at a time. Truly exhilarating stuff.

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 10:41 AM
How so? I criticize golf, so I am a hypocrite? You golf fans are strange...
No!! You criticized people for not doing the right thing. Which is, focusing on the poor and needy. All this when you yourself are not with the needy and poor. That is why you are no different than any rich.

Before asking anyone, be it a golf player, politician, Bill Gates, world leaders, we need to start doing the walk ourselves.

The rest of the stuff you said is not worth replying to. Obviously you have on understanding of the game of Golf. The best thing for you would be to go to a driving range or a course. Play a round. Come back and then criticise.

Arnab
June 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
No!! You criticized people for not doing the right thing.

Not really. I criticized the game of golf because to me it seems a big waste of a spectator's time and a big waste of space in general. It truly is.

Which is, focusing on the poor and needy. All this when you yourself are not with the needy and poor.

What makes you think I am not with the needy and poor? Because I criticized golf?

The rest of the stuff you said is not worth replying to. Obviously you have on understanding of the game of Golf.

It's not rocket science, really. You have to put a ball in a hole in as few shots as possible. And I am talking from the perspective of a spectator.

The best thing for you would be to go to a driving range or a course. Play a round. Come back and then criticise.

Like I said, when I am fat, rich, white, 50+, can't think fast and can't run, I will definitely think about it. :)

akabir77
June 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
BTW Golf is not a sports. Please...

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 12:06 PM
Not really. I criticized the game of golf because to me it seems a big waste of a spectator's time and a big waste of space in general. It truly is.
So is following cricket and typing in forums. All waste of money, space and time. The poor in your "desh'er bari" could use your able, strong two hands, wonderful intellect you possess, right about now. It's truely true.
What makes you think I am not with the needy and poor? Because I criticized golf?
So you are with Mother Teresa Organization (or similar type)? And still wasting your time here at BC? No conflict of interest?
It's not rocket science, really. You have to put a ball in a hole in as few shots as possible. And I am talking from the perspective of a spectator.
There are times when eyes deceive a person. This is one of them. There is more to it. Unless you try I can't change your perception.
Like I said, when I am fat, rich, white, 50+, can't think fast and can't run, I will definitely think about it. :)
Good luck on your pigment transformation. Presuming you are a dark skinned person.

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
BTW Golf is not a sports. Please...
Yes, yet some of the professionals can bench press you 20 reps, three times in a row.

cricman
June 17, 2008, 12:27 PM
Greatest Saturday I've ever seen, watching the highlights does it injustice. If you watched it live you'd be speechless. Tiger is golf if it wasn't for him I'd never watch it. Now that I've watched it for 8 years and understand it, makes you appreciate it even more.

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gu7swOWRcnw&hl=en&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gu7swOWRcnw&hl=en&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

Again Like I said Your Favorite Athlete < Tiger Woods

SS
June 17, 2008, 12:33 PM
The Great debaters....keep the forum alive...
I don't know how it happened though because I have to read each and every single quotes to find out the origination of this debate. But whoever iniatiated got a take lot of pride of making and justifying their arguments. I guess for Arnab, he might be right of how he perceives Golf a game. Golf is not for everybody. You won't be seeing a scientist having luxury playing Golf and take it as profession. So, per Arnab, Golf might be game only rich westerners can afford to play. So if we know that its for the rich, why bother following it or even criticizing it. How can you justify a sportsman making millions of dollars where intellectual society working rest of their lives without millions.
per TE bhai, the game is majestic and tiger woods made it a great interesting games. Nothing wrong with that. It is still a professional sport where players play different tournaments. The space is not an issue in big western countries, so why complain about this game which takes up spaces. If it is played in Dhaka, that's different. Also this majestic game requires majestic way of approaching the game with time to think like a majestic, walk like a rich, roam like a rich. Nothing wrong with that, who knows if TE or Arnab will be one of them one day probably they will forget about this discussion in BC cricket.

akabir77
June 17, 2008, 12:37 PM
SS bhai apner argument porlam but aita to rime korey na khubi khosto hoilo portey...

akabir77
June 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, yet some of the professionals can bench press you 20 reps, three times in a row.

Hey I am not a sportsman whats with all these personal attacks!!! lol

Buchi ami T_E bhai bujei deshey ershader er shatey khelten ai golf...

Jotoi bench press koruk aita kono sports na. just like Karam board/billiard is not one too. At least Karam board/billiard doesn't take up lot of space and is not expensive...

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
Understanding of the game and its history makes everyone appreciate the game. The difficulty can only be understood if one plays the game. Just because the game itself is very expensive to play doesn't mean only rich folks play this game. There are 1st Tee program through out US where getto kids gets a chance to learn the game. Along side they learn discipline, honesty, respect and rules of the game. They become a better person all together.

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
Jotoi bench press koruk aita kono sports na. just like Karam board/billiard is not one too. At least Karam board/billiard doesn't take up lot of space and is not expensive...
lol, ludu'r example milto bhalo. Personal attack tho kori nai. Just showing what type of athletes some of them are. Truely bench pressing 200+ is no issue for some. I am not saying you are 200+, lol.

Arnab
June 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
So is following cricket and typing in forums. All waste of money, space and time. The poor in your "desh'er bari" could use your able, strong two hands, wonderful intellect you possess, right about now. It's truely true.

Er, I am right here in Bangladesh.

So you are with Mother Teresa Organization (or similar type)? And still wasting your time here at BC? No conflict of interest?

Wasting my time? I am doing my fellow countrymen a service by volunteering my time here. For free! Mother Teresa would have been proud of me herself. :)

There are times when eyes deceive a person. This is one of them. There is more to it. Unless you try I can't change your perception.

So it's not about putting a ball in a hole? All I see is three fat white American commentators sitting behind a table droning in a monotonous voice about Tiger Woods every two minutes.

Good luck on your pigment transformation. Presuming you are a dark skinned person.

I know. Hope the joke was not lost on you. :)

Arnab
June 17, 2008, 01:37 PM

Really? The following is a picture of a typical golfer. John Daly. This chain-smoking fatass has actually won not one, but TWO major golf championships: the PGA championship in 1991 and the British Open in 1995.

http://blogs.trb.com/news/local/morningnews/blog/john-daly-golfer.jpg

Just look at him!

Majestic, isn't it?

Tigers_eye
June 17, 2008, 01:47 PM
Wasting my time? I am doing my fellow countrymen a service by volunteering my time here. For free! Mother Teresa would have been proud of me herself. :)...

Hope the joke was not lost on you. :)
The debate ends here. I am a fool indeed.

You can attack Tiger and golf but stay away from John Daly. He lives close by me (great that you have not mentioned the alcoholic he was, and the details of his relationship with his 1st wife, 2nd wife, now the 3rd wife). He can be the ultimate golfing hero for you.

Arnab
June 18, 2008, 12:43 AM
Paraphrasing someone else's view in another forum:

Golf tests two things:
* specialized golf skills
* concentration

Golf barely tests
* balance
* courage, as in taking riskier shots.

Golf doesn't test that most people think are essential attributes of a great athlete or great sportsman, e.g.,
* strength
* speed
* endurance
* agility
* reflexes
* the ability to adapt to an opponent

It's a borderline sport because of the minimal amount of physical ability involved to drive the ball to the hole. A typical day in golf includes making at most 18 shots that are physically the most demanding, i.e. the teeing off shot which is usually a drive. That's it! Only 18 shots.

When a flabby guy like Phil Mickelson can win almost three majors in a row smack in the middle of Tiger's career, it just shows that physical strength plays a minimal part in Golf. Which is why it's a borderline sport.

And consequently, Tiger Woods is not a real sportsman. He is just the best game player in a borderline sport.

BANFAN
June 18, 2008, 02:17 AM
Sorry, but I think your argument stinks. Perfection? That's your argument? Which sport isn't a pursuit of perfection? Look, the same argument can be given for precision sports like snooker, billiard, carom, etc. The difference is they waste a lot less space and a lot less time.

You are right. Difference between looking for perfection in a shot within a space of 2 Meters and a space of 200-500 Meters shouldn't be difficult to understand.

And if Golf is the kind of game that takes time to perfect, then why aren't the veterans burying Tiger with their experience more often? Following that logic, we should see Els, Mickelson, etc. kill those drives and putts, and at least be in contention, in top 5 of every final round of a major. Why aren't they doing that?

That's why he is tiger and that's what makes him unique, a star, isn't it?

My theory is that Golf is popular because it's backed by big corporations who put a lot of money in it. Money is always good. They also buy a lot of media time because of the money. I don't want to watch golf when I can watch a thousand times more exciting tennis match, or a 20/20 cricket match, or a football match, or just about any sport, because chances are it's much less boring and much less time consuming than watching golf. Seriously, as a viewer, what am I supposed to do when a golfer is thinking for 5 minutes about his next shot? And then strolling for another 5 minutes towards the ball. Sit in front of the TV like a moron?

If you knew the game, you would see probably his preshot routines, the lie of the ball, The wind speed and dir, The club he is using from that distance, The line he is taking etc could check back with what you would have done. Then see the swing he deployed for the shot and offcourse the result he achieved. etc. Or just can clap a good shot close to the pin as a noncricketer do clap watching cric for a 4/6 even without thinking of the technicalities of the shot. :)

And Tiger? Well he is American, that's the first thing. Americans always give enormous amount of media time on an American sporting hero. And if he is really good, like Tiger here, they go overboard. I remember how cycling was a big thing in the United States just a few years back, solely because of Lance Armstrong. I suspect now it has died down because an American is not dominating any more.

Golf is much more widely played than cycling and the expansion of Golf is much faster at the moment than many other sports. It is not b’coz of Tiger is American; May be sponsors and Money but also for passion. There are more European/SA golfers in the top chart than Americans.

I intend to pick up Golf as well...probably when I am rich, fat, white and 50+, and when I can't run and think fast anymore.

If you want to learn at some point of time, Better you do it now, or will definitely regret later. Age don't come back. Earlier is better to teach your body. :)
You are saying all those that every non golfer sometime says/thinks of golf before he /she becomes a golfer. :)

Sohel
June 18, 2008, 03:11 AM
Looks like someone has picked a fight quite successfully here ... ;)

Bitter boredom makes us do many things before we realize that it DOES get better. In my case, it took about 3 years, AFTER quitting the corporate world and doing some useful work in T&T bausti, and having a life outside the filth of Dhaka and its far filthier semi-feudal petit-bourgeiosie once I moved back for good about 6 years ago ... :)

Golf IS a game, not a sport IMO, with critical biomechanical elements like Pool, taking place in a large, park-like setting. It gets confused as a sport while something like Ballroom Dancing doesn't get the recognition it desrves as one. That said, Golf sure is fun to play. Since it's silly to separate the mind from the body as the relationship between the two is symbiotic, athleticism helps as aptly demonstrated by Tiger.

I've known Go, Chess and Pool players who play better because they workout. Yet to meet Ludo and Carom players with similar experience(s) though.

BTW, Tiger is more Asian than anything else with his mom being Thai and his paternal grandmother being Chinese American. Then again, in the US you're Black even with a single drop of African blood, not counting the fact that ALL of our ancestors hail from that continent. Another story.

Playing golf in Bangladesh IMHO is no more vulgar than playing tennis, driving a car (no matter how fancy), subscribing to an ISP or a cable TV operator, or going to a facy restaurant. I work with families where everyone from the age of 80 to 5 work their tails off, and make BDT 4,000 a month collectively. A typical such faimly is ususally of 8 or more people living in a shack smaller than some fancy toilets in neighboring Gulshan and Banani.

After paying a wide variety of "fees" to the Police and their selected deliquents for rent and protection against itself -- the real extortionists, child molesters, drug dealers and pimps of Dhaka -- they have about 1800 left for the month. For them, the sheer idea of spending close to 1000 takas or more for a single meal for two is nothing short of mind-blowing. Yet they do not burn our houses down or riot.

You gotta accept the good with the bad whenever you can. Golf, once you play it, is GOOD no matter where you take that walk with club in hand. The best readers and putters of the game in Bangladesh are some of the caddies BTW, just like the ball boys tend to be our best tennis players since even before Hiralal broke the class-barrier, and started kicking the borhoshaheb's fat @$$. It will happen in golf also Inshallah ... :)

cricman
June 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
Tiger out for the rest of the year :(

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
.......Golf IS a game, not a sport IMO, with critical biomechanical elements like Pool, taking place in a large, park-like setting............

:) Well, I wish you play a round of 18 holes and compare it with your physical efforts of a cricket match.

By the time you finish it you will finish walking 5 Km minimum, atleast 100 swings as a beginer or around 72 as pro, another 150 practice swings, courses involve a lots of climbs as well since almost no course is plain, all the mental pressure and forget about the pressure of tournaments.

It's not compareable with football/basketball/squash but definitely highly compareable with cricket in physical aspects.

Believe me it is in no way a larger version of pool/billiard. It makes me believe that, you havn't tried to play golf yet :) :) :)

BD has about 10 courses, you may try there as well. It's easy to enter in all the courses except Kurmitola. It has a little difficult entry process than others. Bhatiary is the best in BD and definitely one of the best in the world that any golfer would like to try.

It's a common idea about golf, just like beginners have idea about beer. :)

akabir77
June 19, 2008, 09:19 AM
:) Well, I wish you play a round of 18 holes and compare it with your physical efforts of a cricket match.

By the time you finish it you will finish walking 5 Km minimum, atleast 100 swings as a beginer or around 72 as pro, another 150 practice swings, courses involve a lots of climbs as well since almost no course is plain, all the mental pressure and forget about the pressure of tournaments.

It's not compareable with football/basketball/squash but definitely highly compareable with cricket in physical aspects.

Believe me it is in no way a larger version of pool/billiard. It makes me believe that, you havn't tried to play golf yet :) :) :)

BD has about 10 courses, you may try there as well. It's easy to enter in all the courses except Kurmitola. It has a little difficult entry process than others. Bhatiary is the best in BD and definitely one of the best in the world that any golfer would like to try.

It's a common idea about golf, just like beginners have idea about beer. :)

when did walking became a sports?lol

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 11:12 AM
when did walking became a sports?lol

First of all could you define sports?

Note: Walking is a part of olympics as well, as an athletics event. Just a lead if athleticism has anything to do with sports.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
lol, to BANFAN.
Sohel bhai I think played most of the golf courses BD has to offer. :)

AKabir bhai,
Cricket is a sport yet they have players like David Boon, Mike Gatting, Akram Khan, Inzi, Jesse Ryder and last but not the least Leverock (the Bermuda man who is causing famine in Africa).

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/72800/72865.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bermuda/content/image/285422.html) http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73200/73214.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bermuda/content/image/286235.html) http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73100/73153.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bermuda/content/image/286131.html) http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73100/73152.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bermuda/content/image/286130.html)

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/86100/86152.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/image/334898.html) http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/082000/014813.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/image/183486.html) http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/072001/027503.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/image/180375.html) http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/68600/68646.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/image/269397.html)

akabir77
June 19, 2008, 11:31 AM
if having fit body and muscle was the only criteria to be in a sports then salaman khan and aronld would have been the biggest sports star...

And yeah they can include these EVENTS in Olympic or what not but they can't be sports. BTW i think they r trying to include KARAMBOARD also in Olympic where as cricket is not.

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 11:37 AM
lol, to BANFAN.
Sohel bhai I think played most of the golf courses BD has to offer. :)

I am extremely sorry then. Apologies bro.
I was derailed by his comparison with pool,actually. :)

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2008, 11:47 AM
I am extremely sorry then. Apologies bro.
I was derailed by his comparison with pool,actually. :)
His brand of Sport is you break your jaw, two front teeth, you suck it up and still hit the ring and try to break the opponents jaw in the next opportunity. Physically golf becomes a mere game then compared to sports. Unless you have two hair line fracture on your knee and you suck it up (do not disclose, ignore Doctor's warning) and win a major. Now then it at par with Sports.

akabir77
June 19, 2008, 11:55 AM
His brand of Sport is you break your jaw, two front teeth, you suck it up and still hit the ring and try to break the opponents jaw in the next opportunity. Physically golf becomes a mere game then compared to sports. Unless you have two hair line fracture on your knee and you suck it up (do not disclose, ignore Doctor's warning) and win a major. Now then it at par with Sports.

That tells you how Disable the other players where... lol

BTW I think Tiger woods father one day thought which event is not played by blacks and can be earned lots of money... and you know the answer... I think he is scoring in a open field...

You will see when 10 15 black guys starts to play this EVENT to make easy money like him then there won't be any player winning with one leg/one hand/one eye...:floor:

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 11:58 AM

That description only matches Xtreme sports. I'll never be into it :) Well, he looks like to be a boxer. I left boxing in 1984 after only trying it for 4 years. Ameature of course. That's too risky. I saw fellows dying and having permanent brain damage.

I too was a sports fanatic, I gave up tennis at young age, as it wasn't feeling like enough of exertion playing with all middle aged/old seniors all over BD tennis courts. Instead would go to squash in the evening, that was after about 2/3 hours of basketball in the after noon. But yet, once I go through 18 holes, I feel quiet good exercise.

Thanks for the info on Sohel_NR. Good to know
:)

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 12:04 PM
:floor:
BTW I think Tiger woods father one day thought which event is not played by blacks

BTW, Tiger's father was a caddy and later a curator sort of post in a golf course.

I think..

Those one eye and one leg type players are no more there in the pro circuit ... :floor:

Bancan
June 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
That description only matches Xtreme sports. I'll never be into it :) Well, he looks like to be a boxer. I left boxing in 1984 after only trying it for 4 years. Ameature of course. That's too risky. I saw fellows dying and having permanent brain damage.

I too was a sports fanatic, I gave up tennis at young age, as it wasn't feeling like enough of exertion playing with all middle aged/old seniors all over BD tennis courts. Instead would go to squash in the evening, that was after about 2/3 hours of basketball in the after noon. But yet, once I go through 18 holes, I feel quiet good exercise.

Thanks for the info on Sohel_NR. Good to know

Ice Hockey

Sohel
June 19, 2008, 12:10 PM

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: ... Thanks bro, the best laugh here in BC after many weeks. Going back to Bagerhat soon, so I really needed that.

You need to take your family to see the Dallas Stars or any NHL team near you ASAP.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2008, 12:32 PM
You are welcome Bro. Have a safe journey. If possible ask forgiveness on behalf of us those who are doing next to nothing for them. Inshallah someday I'll get that burden off my chest (even partially).

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ice Hockey

Really. Have no first hand knowledge of it. Just watched on TV. looks good.

Sohel
June 19, 2008, 12:44 PM
Mijan-

Never underestimate the power of sincere prayer and goodwill ... :)

BANFAN-

Here's a bit of personal info on Tiger. I guess Lt. Colonel Earl Woods could also have been a caddy.

Background and family

Eldrick Tont Woods was born on December 30, 1975 in Cypress, California to Earl (1932-2006) and Kultida Woods. He is the only child of their marriage but has two half-brothers, Earl Jr. (born 1955) and Kevin (born 1957), and one half-sister, Royce (born 1958) from the 18-year marriage of Earl Woods and his first wife, Barbara Woods Gray. Earl, a retired United States Army lieutenant colonel and Vietnam War veteran, was of mixed African American (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent) and Native American (25 percent) ancestry. Kultida (nee Punsawad), originally from Thailand, is of mixed Thai (50 percent), Chinese (25 percent), and Dutch (25 percent) ancestry. This makes Woods himself one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Thai, one-quarter African American, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch. He refers to his ethnic make-up as “Cablinasian” (a portmanteau term he coined from Caucasian, Black, (American) Indian, and Asian).

Woods is a Buddhist. He has said that his faith was acquired from his mother and that it helps control both his stubbornness and impatience.

At birth, Woods was given "Eldrick" and "Tont" as first and middle names, respectively. His middle name, Tont, is a traditional Thai name. He got his nickname from a Vietnamese soldier friend of his father, Vuong Dang Phong, to whom his father had also given the "Tiger" nickname. Woods became generally known by that name and by the time he had achieved national prominence in junior and amateur golf, he was simply known as "Tiger" Woods. On his twenty-first birthday, Woods legally changed his name from Eldrick to Tiger.

Woods grew up in Orange County, California and graduated from Western High School in Anaheim in 1994 ...

READ MORE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods)

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: ... Thanks bro, the best laugh here in BC after many weeks. Going back to Bagerhat soon, so I really needed that.

You need to take your family to see the Dallas Stars or any NHL team near you ASAP.

Have you been to Bhatiary recently? Haven't been there for over 5 years. How is it now? Any change? How is the new course opposite to raddison? It was just shaping up when I last saw it.

have a nice trip to Bagerhat, all the best Sohel NR.

Sohel
June 19, 2008, 12:52 PM
Have you been to Bhatiary recently? Haven't been there for over 5 years. How is it now? Any change? How is the new course opposite to raddison? It was just shaping up when I last saw it.

have a nice trip to Bagerhat, all the best Sohel NR.

Bhatiyari is well-known as one of the best kept golfing sectrets in Asia now. People, mainly from Japan, South Korea, Thailand and lately Autralia fly directly in to Chittagong from Chinag Mai just for the golf. It's that good.

My late father, a former Commandant of BMA, helped Bhatiyari come into being even before the project was actually sanctioned. So the place is very close to my heart.

I haven't played the Raddison course yet, so have no first hand experience. The hotel itself ain't bad, though the food is absurdly overpriced as expected, and the futani as alga as ever ... :)

Thanks for wishing me a nice trip bro.

Rabz
June 19, 2008, 01:26 PM
This is one game i could never get myself into.
Something must be good about it, since there is so much fuss.

I dont even understand the terms used.
Eagle, birdie .....

The Golf Pundits here, can you guys please take up the boring work of teaching a golf-newbie ?
I guess if i understand a bit better, it would be more meaningful and may be more pleasurable to watch.

So far all i get is that they are trying to stick it in the hole! ( what can i do? its the male perspective! )
And the commies they speak so softly as if they dont want to wake anybody up, ppl who fall in sleep while watching the game.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
This is one game i could never get myself into.
Something must be good about it, since there is so much fuss.

I dont even understand the terms used.
Eagle, birdie .....

The Golf Pundits here, can you guys please take up the boring work of teaching a golf-newbie ?
I guess if i understand a bit better, it would be more meaningful and may be more pleasurable to watch.

So far all i get is that they are trying to stick it in the hole! ( what can i do? its the male perspective! )
And the commies they speak so softly as if they dont want to wake anybody up, ppl who fall in sleep while watching the game.
You are not committed enough. Go over the thread from the beginning. Most of the things that you wanted to know already has been explained. As for why the commies speak so lowly:

Golf is a game that needs utmost concentration. A noise, a slight wind can ruin a whole day work. Golf is a pure machanics. Starting from your head, shoulders, arms, hips, knees, ankle and toes all have to move in a synchronized way. It should as fluid like a flow of water. Only then the purest of shots can be made. Go to a driving range. Should not cost you much. Try to hit some balls. If you have problems getting in Ask Sohel bhai. He will be more than happy to take you there (if time permits).

BANFAN
June 19, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well I can try to give a viewers preliminary knowledge :) if you allow, Rabz :

1. A Hole is the distance between Tee to Green this distance can vary and every hole is numbered.
2. Tee is the place from where the first shot is taken, Grren is the place where the hole/pin is located. Every hole has a par fixed according to distance. Ball can only be touched by hand in the Tee area and on Green. There is penalty if the ball is touched else where.
3. Par is the number of shots allowed to reach the hole from the Tee. If you take 1 less that's birdie, if you take two less shots that's Eagle, If you take 1 more that's Boggie if you take two more shots Bouble Boggie then Tripple boggie etc
4. If you fall in water and want a drop on the land, you get a penalty of 1 shot, If you go OB you get a drop and penalty of two shots. OBs are marked in courses.
5. The less shot you take is better.
6. Every round of pro tournament is of 18 holes and every major championship consists of 4 rounds (72 holes). If two players tie at the end they go for play off holes.
7. Every player can carry a maximum number of 13 clubs. The sticks (As people say) are called the clubs, the person carrying the clubs is called a Caddy
8. Gen a player carries 1 wood (driver), 3,5, Fairway Woods, 2-8 Irons, Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge, Putter But these are not mandatory, a player can choose what clubs he will carry.
9. Every club has a different distance for the player, Chose a club depending on Lie means where the ball is placed.
10. Fairway - Is the straight green patch from Tee to Green. The most desired place for the player to land his ball. Obastacle - are made of sand, Water. Line of trees, Bushes etc bermuda - is the long grass on the outer edges. The green is the area around the Hole and the outer edge of green is Rough, every location needs a different club and also different swing and shot. Wind plays a vital factor in chosing the line of shot/club.

Handicap of a player is assigned by the course he has membership with or the Association he is a member. it has no value in the open championships, rathar than in the points. But points don't decide position. It is the strokes that determines position in the competition. Handicap is used in the ameture competitions.

I think it's ok for a preliminary knowledge to start viewing. There are some more rules though. If you have further questions, please do ask or T_E's suggestion is good to spend a few hours in a course will give you more. Hope that helps. Enjoy the game bro.

Rabz
June 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for that mate.
I'll definitely go through it very elaborately.
Then i'll come back if i have any more question.
Thanks again for your time and effort.

BANFAN
June 20, 2008, 03:05 AM
Welcome Rabz, truely my pleasure.

Beamer
June 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
Bhatiyari is well-known as one of the best kept golfing sectrets in Asia now. People, mainly from Japan, South Korea, Thailand and lately Autralia fly directly in to Chittagong from Chinag Mai just for the golf. It's that good.

My late father, a former Commandant of BMA, helped Bhatiyari come into being even before the project was actually sanctioned. So the place is very close to my heart.

I haven't played the Raddison course yet, so have no first hand experience. The hotel itself ain't bad, though the food is absurdly overpriced as expected, and the futani as alga as ever ... :)

Thanks for wishing me a nice trip bro.

Is that true? Not surprised really. The price of playing on a course in one of the Far Eastern countries are astronomical. Its probably cheaper to fly in to Chittagong, play a few rounds, stay in a hotel - then playing for a few hours in any course in Japan or Korea, who are ardent golfers. I know for a fact that people from those countries fly into Malaysia or Thailand just a play a few rounds to save money. Not surprised at all. We really need a few good courses with 5 star hotels in Cox's Bazar.

Tigers_eye
June 20, 2008, 10:15 AM
...We really need a few good courses with 5 star hotels in Cox's Bazar.
Ditto. with improvement of Cox's bazar airport (may be privatise it so that personal planes can be landed there).

Beamer
June 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
Ditto. with improvement of Cox's bazar airport (may be privatise it so that personal planes can be landed there).

Personal Jet namaiba? Arnab aisha tire puncture koira dibo..:lol:

Arnab
June 20, 2008, 11:28 AM

Who wastes this much time on a Golf course? Are you fat, ultra rich, old and utterly bored? I am getting the hives just thinking about it.

Arnab
June 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
Personal Jet namaiba? Arnab aisha tire puncture koira dibo..:lol:

Like I said, Golf is for filthy rich c#$ts. :)

Beamer
June 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
Like I said, Golf is for filthy rich c#$ts. :)

It is.

BANFAN
June 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
Who wastes this much time on a Golf course? Are you fat, ultra rich, old and utterly bored? I am getting the hives just thinking about it.

:) Not a sensible comment on, time, from a cric fan on a cric site, really. Where cric was born for playing sunrise to sunset for five days consecutively !! If you just add up the break times between a cric match you are through with 9 holes, half way. :) "Jare dekhte nari taar chalan Baka" ?? Not Really ?? :)

I am a handsome straight man, Arnab. :)

I somehow feel that you are going to learn it soon. :) Best wishes

BANFAN
June 21, 2008, 02:48 AM
Is that true? Not surprised really. The price of playing on a course in one of the Far Eastern countries are astronomical. Its probably cheaper to fly in to Chittagong, play a few rounds, stay in a hotel - then playing for a few hours in any course in Japan or Korea, who are ardent golfers. I know for a fact that people from those countries fly into Malaysia or Thailand just a play a few rounds to save money. Not surprised at all. We really need a few good courses with 5 star hotels in Cox's Bazar.

Exactly. And the popularity of golfing holidays are rising rapidly. Golf is such a game, the more courses you play, more you improve as a golfer. Since no two courses are same. Makes it more interesting to the golfers. Infact if you have a golf course you will find people making their way, any how.

We had a course in Cox's Bazar beside 'Shoibal', that was under porjoton corporation. They ruined it without maintenance. Last time I saw it in 2004 & unless someone tells you, it is hard to identify as a course. But We have a good number of courses in BD now.

If you want to take golf as a profession, it's costly. As it is in Tennis. But for weekend golfing or holiday golfing or after work golfing, it's not so costly. I mean any mid level executive in BD, Ind, pak working in a MNC can afford it.

UAE is developing a number of courses and all the elites including TW is busy designing courses in UAE. The cost is affordable. Now a days, golf is being played even under flood lights in many places. Demand is such.

Arnab
June 22, 2008, 11:25 PM
:) Not a sensible comment on, time, from a cric fan on a cric site, really. Where cric was born for playing sunrise to sunset for five days consecutively !! If you just add up the break times between a cric match you are through with 9 holes, half way.

Not really. Remember that I originally compared gold with test cricket and said that golf is even more boring than test cricket.

At least in test cricket, you get fast bowlers, bouncers and bloody noses. Where's the action in golf? It's so exciting. Chip the ball, walk leisurely, chip the ball, walk leisurely, roll the ball in the hole, walk....I am getting old by just thinking about it. :)

Beamer
June 23, 2008, 12:23 PM
Not really. Remember that I originally compared gold with test cricket and said that golf is even more boring than test cricket.

At least in test cricket, you get fast bowlers, bouncers and bloody noses. Where's the action in golf? It's so exciting. Chip the ball, walk leisurely, chip the ball, walk leisurely, roll the ball in the hole, walk....I am getting old by just thinking about it. :)

And on top of that, if a certain idol gets a boo boo on his knee and manages to win with that, he is glorified among the talking heads as the second coming of "Alexander the Great". No athlete will sit an entire years worth of time with that type of injury. Hockey and Football players play with injuries worse than that. Yet, he has the nerve to put down hockey as a sport. He couldn't carry Ryan Malones jockstraps.

Ishtylish cricketer
June 23, 2008, 09:19 PM
And on top of that, if a certain idol gets a boo boo on his knee and manages to win with that, he is glorified among the talking heads as the second coming of "Alexander the Great". No athlete will sit an entire years worth of time with that type of injury. Hockey and Football players play with injuries worse than that. Yet, he has the nerve to put down hockey as a sport. He couldn't carry Ryan Malones jockstraps.

Tiger Woods' comment about hockey assured that the canadian ritual of sterotyping americans as clueless and ignorant of hockey lives on. In a recent interview however, TW shed light on his earlier statement about hockey by explaining to the fans that he doesn't like watching hockey on tv and would much rather watch it live in an arena. Beams, TW may not like hockey but there's no doubt that he's tough as a nail. His physique is typical of a football player than a golfer. There's a general consensus among sports journalists that he could have easily excelled at sports like basketball and baseball if he decided to pursue either as a career. As much as the NHL would like to see NHL become more popular in the US, it is all but established that hockey will never attract a large audience because unfortunately, most americans share TW's original views about hockey. To my utter displeasure, I have to credit for winning the major because his achievement was phenomenal. He managed to win the US open, arguably golf's hardest major, playing 90 holes, on one functionning knee. My own reply to his hockey views can be summarized by a hockey show anchor's joke, "Golf is boring, except when he's playing". He'll grow to love the sport once he sees Stamkos in action. He can easily do that as he lives in Palm Beach Florida.

BANFAN
June 24, 2008, 04:52 AM

Golf is not a team game. So it won't be action packed like that. more over golf is more a game of skills rather than strength. Yet the T shots and the long distance Iron shots involve a lots of physio dynamic aspects along side skills.

What you are talking is the short game, chipping and putting, that is completely dependant on skill and reading the conditions. In test cricket also, there are many dull moments, it's not always packed with action.

Thing is, that if someone doesn't know the game, don't really enjoy it. However action packed it is. If you learn to play Golf, definitely you will find it more meaningful and enjoyable.

Tigers_eye
June 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
Golf is not a team game. ...
Arguing with someone who clearly takes pleasure just making silly comments makes you as bad as me. So learn from my mistake.
The debate ends here. I am a fool indeed.

Beamer
June 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
Tiger Woods' comment about hockey assured that the canadian ritual of sterotyping americans as clueless and ignorant of hockey lives on. In a recent interview however, TW shed light on his earlier statement about hockey by explaining to the fans that he doesn't like watching hockey on tv and would much rather watch it live in an arena. Beams, TW may not like hockey but there's no doubt that he's tough as a nail. His physique is typical of a football player than a golfer. There's a general consensus among sports journalists that he could have easily excelled at sports like basketball and baseball if he decided to pursue either as a career. As much as the NHL would like to see NHL become more popular in the US, it is all but established that hockey will never attract a large audience because unfortunately, most americans share TW's original views about hockey. To my utter displeasure, I have to credit for winning the major because his achievement was phenomenal. He managed to win the US open, arguably golf's hardest major, playing 90 holes, on one functionning knee. My own reply to his hockey views can be summarized by a hockey show anchor's joke, "Golf is boring, except when he's playing". He'll grow to love the sport once he sees Stamkos in action. He can easily do that as he lives in Palm Beach Florida.

IC

You can't paint all Americans with such broad brush. There are many areas, cities, states etc where hockey has a very stronghold. I live in one such city and it includes Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Mass etc. But, generally, specially in the sun belt areas, it is yet to gain any momentum. Its not their fault. They never grew up around hockey. How could it be? You need the element of nature to cooperate.

TW is a phenomenal golpher. Probably the best that has ever played. He certainly will be when he is all done with his career. However, TW the person, who rarely engages himself unless dollar bills are involved, should not be worshiped the way the media does it. He has consistently shied away from every social engagement that many think he should because of who he is. TW and his PR machine are only interested when money is involved. I respect his game. But, if there was ever a numero uno media slut, he is that, by a mile.

He only retracted his comment after the media backlush. Believe me, he meant what he said. If you don't like it, don't say anything at all, or just make a positive comment. He just showed his contempt for the sport and millions of fans who enjoy it. He is tough, if you compare him to the other golphers, and physically, he is way superior without a doubt, considering among the pot bellies and senior citizens that masqeurade as athletes.

Watching Stamkos? Good luck with that. What do you think of Barry Melrose as their new coach?

BANFAN
June 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
Arguing with someone who clearly takes pleasure just making silly comments makes you as bad as me. So learn from my mistake.

Originally Posted by Tigers_eye: The debate ends here. I am a fool indeed.

:) I thought he was serious !!!

Pass Arnab :notworthy:

Ishtylish cricketer
June 24, 2008, 01:46 PM
if you compare him to the other golphers, and physically, he is way superior without a doubt, considering among the pot bellies and senior citizens that masqeurade as athletes.

Haha. Beams, even the golfers workout nowadays. In fact if you look at the new crop of players they are all physically fit. Not too many John Dalys out there anymore.

What do you think of Barry Melrose as their new coach?

Barry Melrose is a good choice but I expected to see someone who had been recently fired. Melrose has not coached for many years so he'll be under lot of media scrutiny. I am sure he'll know how to deal with it since he's been part of the media for such a long time. TB management folks could have gone after someone like Pat Burns or Pat Quinn. Both enjoyed success no matter where they coached.

Tigers_eye
August 7, 2008, 10:19 AM
Robert Karlsson is the early leader at -4.

Furyk (-2) is second starting at back nine. Back nine seems to give trouble to most. Garcia is at -1. Choi is at +4. Westwood at +5, Mickelson, Love III all at +2.

Anthony Kim the rookie should make some noise.

cricman
August 10, 2008, 04:00 PM
Come on Sergio! 9 Holes from getting the monkey of your back

Tigers_eye
August 12, 2008, 01:41 PM
The ghost is still haunting Garcia. Best player yet to win a major. Paven, Duval, Mickelson all were labled with the title once. 4 holes to go a lead with one shot at a Major and no Tiger on the field. What more can he ask for?

Anywho, Congrats to Harrington. Now Tiger's best player of the year title is in jeoperdy. Harrington with two majors should get the title no matter what.

Arnab
August 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
The ghost is still haunting Garcia. Best player yet to win a major. Paven, Duval, Mickelson all were labled with the title once. 4 holes to go a lead with one shot at a Major and no Tiger on the field. What more can he ask for?

Anywho, Congrats to Harrington. Now Tiger's best player of the year title is in jeoperdy. Harrington with two majors should get the title no matter what.

A nearly 40 year old white Irish guy wins a golf major. Everything is back to normal in golf. Thank god.

In Tiger's absence Ratings dropped dramatically for the PGA, proving that it's Tiger that interests the American public, not golf. Americans love their own freaks. But when the freak isn't playing, they don't really care.

Arnab
August 12, 2008, 04:00 PM
Thing is, that if someone doesn't know the game, don't really enjoy it. However action packed it is. If you learn to play Golf, definitely you will find it more meaningful and enjoyable.

Sure, but the same thing can be said about sewing wool cardigans for little grandkids. The grandmas really like dong that kinda thing. Once they learn, I am sure they like it a lot. And remember, it requires quite a lot of skills and obviously, pinpoint concentration.

Tigers_eye
August 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
Sure, but the same thing can be said about sewing wool cardigans for little grandkids. The grandmas really like dong that kinda thing. Once they learn, I am sure they like it a lot. And remember, it requires quite a lot of skills and obviously, pinpoint concentration.
lol, my mom can do that without even looking at the cloth. with one krush. while doing anything and everything at the same time. That is your pinpoint concentration. So let me know when you are ready to take a lesson from her. I can arrange that by just one phone call. She would gladly teach you for free.

Tigers_eye
August 13, 2008, 10:18 AM
A nearly 40 year old white Irish guy wins a golf major. Everything is back to normal in golf. Thank god.

In Tiger's absence Ratings dropped dramatically for the PGA, proving that it's Tiger that interests the American public, not golf. Americans love their own freaks. But when the freak isn't playing, they don't really care.
30s are the best years for golfers. That is when they tend to know their own game, courses and how to play on those courses. Vijay is an exception. You need a successful iconic player to support that sport. Tell me how many football players you know in current BD national team? Does it even interest you?

Players, sportsmen like Ali, Viv, Jordan, Jahangir khan etc. are people who makes fans want to watch/follow the sports. Tiger is no exception.

Dear Arnab,
Americans are human you know. Same species like you, created by the same god who created you. Love them, forgive them for their mistakes (when you are on the top) and you will be loved and forgiven.

Arnab
August 13, 2008, 06:42 PM
30s are the best years for golfers. That is when they tend to know their own game, courses and how to play on those courses. Vijay is an exception. You need a successful iconic player to support that sport. Tell me how many football players you know in current BD national team? Does it even interest you?

Not sure I follow. Tiger is certainly an iconic player in his game. But golf is not a sport. It requires a lot of golf-specific skills though.

Players, sportsmen like Ali, Viv, Jordan, Jahangir khan etc. are people who makes fans want to watch/follow the sports. Tiger is no exception.Well, Tiger is a big exception in the sense he plays golf, which is not a sport. Ali had to endure the biggest punches, Pele had to endure the roughest of tackles, Jahangir to had to bend and lunge forwards, backwards, and sideways and fall hard on the hard squash floor thousands of times to make crucial split-second shots.

Tiger? He puts a white ball in a hole and pump fists as if he KOed somebody twice his size, or dunked from the 3-point line. I am sorry, but it's hilarious. Tiger plays an old white man's boring sport. Toothy smiles and showoff fist pumps are not going to alter that fact.

Dear Arnab,
Americans are human you know. Same species like you, created by the same god who created you. Love them, forgive them for their mistakes (when you are on the top) and you will be loved and forgiven.? I like Americans. They are flawed creatures living in their own deluded universe, just like all other nations in the world.

Arnab
August 13, 2008, 06:46 PM
lol, my mom can do that without even looking at the cloth. with one krush. while doing anything and everything at the same time. That is your pinpoint concentration. So let me know when you are ready to take a lesson from her. I can arrange that by just one phone call. She would gladly teach you for free.

Ok, how about the workers in the tangail tater shari kutir? If Tiger Woods can get millions of dollars for putting a little white ball in a hole, which is just about the world's most boring game to watch, then surely these poor souls deserve hundreds of thousands of dollars?

MohammedC
September 19, 2008, 08:23 PM
Anyone here follow Ryder Cup. US took a big lead today 5.5 to 2.5.

Rommel
September 19, 2008, 09:53 PM
Anyone here follow Ryder Cup. US took a big lead today 5.5 to 2.5.

Yeah I am following it. I think the US will win it finally this year, because no one is giving us any chance. This will inspire the Americans to actually take it seriously.

BANFAN
September 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
Wait, until it's over. US team is never serious with this event. Europe might turn it over again.

MohammedC
September 20, 2008, 11:01 AM
Wait, until it's over. US team is never serious with this event. Europe might turn it over again.

Are you sure. I don't follow golf that much but from what I hear from news they are quite serious about it.

BANFAN
September 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
Are you sure. I don't follow golf that much but from what I hear from news they are quite serious about it.

Record wise USA has a better record.

I am talking about the Tiger Era, probably it is more attributeable to tiger, than the US team as a whole. But Tiger's poor run in this cup affected the US performance as well.

Between 1959-83, US has won all 13 times at a stretch & since 1985 till 2006, US has won only 3 times while Europe has won 8 times. infact since 1995, US has own only once out of 6 times.

* Europe started competing from 1979, till then it was GB

BANFAN
September 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
One good thing for the US team is that, Tiger isn't playing this time. :)

BANFAN
September 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
USA is set to win the Ryder Cup after losing two times, unless they make something silly in the remaining holes. 12.5 to 9.5. US Leading in 3 more.

Segio garcia is the super flop in Eurpoe & Mickelson in US teams. Kim played superb & Rose for Europe. Mahan's put in 17th was the highlight of the day for me.

Tigers_eye
September 22, 2008, 10:50 AM
Before this year Garcia-Westwood was the Rock. Westwood has never lost at Ryder cup matches before. Harrington another one could do a lick whole week. The US rookies did great. Unknown to the previous beatdowns all 7 of them played great. I think captain Azinger should get all the glory for strategising everything. Starting with personality profile and pairing to when they play.

Never did I think US could win it but they did it in style. Hats of to the US team. Faldo was a total failure. Doesn't help when the media focuses on the captain too much and not the players or plays. Not that he played any match. Paulson was a fine captain's pick. 4 wins of 5 matches.

BANFAN
September 29, 2008, 02:03 PM
Faldo is being rescued by his team mates, by sharing the blame of loss as a team.

He had poor strategy. Like dropping Garcia on day two was wrong & Garcia lost his motivation probably, as it was highly unexpected to him & everyone.

All the credit goes to US team & Azinger for being on top of everything.

Tigers_eye
September 29, 2008, 03:13 PM
Vijay got 10 mill bonus. wow!!

Mickelson: pretender for sure.
Anthony Kim: Contender.
Garcia: can't get over the hump. Chocker!!
Villegas: The Man. Wow!! Who would have thunk?

Tigers_eye
April 7, 2009, 10:53 AM
Masters 2009.

Augusta, GA will be center of attention rest of the week. If Tiger is close to the leaderboard, all prime time events will take a hit on Sunday.

The teen invation has begun. Rory (19), Lee (18) and Ryo (17). Rory: Arguably a future Tigerisk career calling, Lee broke Tigers youngest ameture champion record, Ryo, skipping high school in Japan. Then there are the SA, Aus and Spanish contingent.

Hefty is drooling, singh wants teach all the younger ones a lesson. Harrington saying nothing all though he can do most gola baji. Bringing his game to Augusta which has won him the last two majors. :)

I wish this will be Woods 15th.

_Rafi_
July 31, 2010, 03:03 PM
Watch out our Siddikur Rahman.
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=148939

_Rafi_
August 1, 2010, 08:19 AM
Siddikur became the first Bangladeshi to win on Asian tour. He win Brunei Open on play off with Jbe Kruger
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/golf/top-stories/Siddikur-wins-Brunei-Open-after-play-off/articleshow/6244140.cms

_Rafi_
August 1, 2010, 08:20 AM
Congratulation Siddikur! You make us proud.

Tigers_eye
August 3, 2010, 12:24 AM
Winning at playoff hole shows he has no nerves. What an achievement. All we have to know is from a humble beginning...

Tiger woods has a lot to learn.

Nadim
August 3, 2010, 05:31 AM
Forget cricket:-p It's time for GOLF :D

A :bighug: to Siddiqur Rahman...:bravo:

revolver
August 3, 2010, 04:15 PM
yesss siddi you rock one day YOU will make our country PROUD

_Rafi_
October 5, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ryder cup was very competitive! 14.5-13.5 in favour of Europe.
Btw wats up with Mahan guy? Cried after loosing. Khuboi hassyokor!:-):-):-)
Its good to see Woods is getting his form back. He played brilliantly in last day after suffering humiliating loss.

Tigers_eye
October 13, 2010, 12:12 AM
Btw wats up with Mahan guy? Cried after loosing. Khuboi hassyokor!:-):-):-)
Irony!! If you had followed the last Ryder cup you would know why.

BANFAN
October 18, 2010, 05:27 AM
Siddikur became the first Bangladeshi to win on Asian tour. He win Brunei Open on play off with Jbe Kruger
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/golf/top-stories/Siddikur-wins-Brunei-Open-after-play-off/articleshow/6244140.cms

That's great To Know !!

_Rafi_
October 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
That's great To Know !!

more good news! Siddiqur qualified to play one of PGA tour
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=159538

Tigers_eye
December 20, 2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome Lennon.
Which courses have you played? Any handicap? Or you play wii?

BANFAN
October 1, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ryder cup 2012 was an amazing tournament...

Team US entered the final day with 4 points lead... 10-6 score line. Everyone thought it was irrecoverable lead... But then Team Europe won first 5 singles in a row ... Tiger at the end missed one of the easiest putts by any definition... Team Europe retains Ryder Cup with a clear one point lead... This tournament will be remembered for a long time, in the history of Ryder Cup.

Congrats Team Europe, was worth watching such a competitive tournament.

Tigers_eye
June 13, 2013, 12:26 AM
Merion. US Open. Rain. Can he get to 15?

Tigers_eye
June 16, 2013, 04:50 PM
15 was off the table in first round. Will Rose get his first major? back nine 8 more holes to go. He is even par. Two have +1. Then Lefty.