PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes 2006-07

Sam
November 5, 2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/67600/67618.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/image/263821.html)http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/66100/66146.icon.jpg (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/image/259387.html)

At last one of the most exciting cricket series in the world is set to start, when Andrew Flintoff's England side arrived in Australia early on Sunday morning. This signals the start of the most anticipated Ashes series in history.
Let's enjoy the series with anticipations and predictions, with supports and attacks (within the Board's rules), with passion and joy, with celebrations and frustrations, but everything in a decent way.

Here is the schedule of the series:

1st Test at Brisbane 23-27 November 2006
2nd Test at Adelaide 1-5 December 2006
3rd Test at Perth 14-18 December 2006
4th Test at Melbourne 26-30 December 2006
5th Test at Sydney 2-6 January 2007Here is the short history of the Ashes:

Australia's first victory on English soil over the full strength of England, on August 29, 1882, inspired a young London journalist, Reginald Shirley Brooks, to write this mock "obituary''. It appeared in the Sporting Times.
Before England's defeat at The Oval, by seven runs, arrangements had already been made for the Hon. Ivo Bligh, afterwards Lord Darnley, to lead a team to Australia. Three weeks later they set out, now with the popular objective of recovering the Ashes. In the event, Australia won the first Test by nine wickets, but with England winning the next two it became generally accepted that they brought back the Ashes.

The text on the urn is as follows:- When Ivo goes back with the urn, the urn;
Studds, Steel, Read and Tylecote return, return;
The welkin will ring loud,
The great crowd will feel proud,
Seeing Barlow and Bates with the urn, the urn;
And the rest coming home with the urn.

It was long believed that the real Ashes - a small urn thought to contain the ashes of a bail used in the third match - were presented to Bligh by a group of Melbourne women. In 1998, Lord Darnley's 82-year-old daughter-in-law said they were the remains of her mother-in-law's veil, not a bail. Other evidence suggests a ball. The certain origin of the Ashes, therefore, is the subject of some dispute. After Lord Darnley's death in 1927, the urn was given to MCC by Lord Darnley's Australianborn widow, Florence. It can be seen in the cricket museum at Lord's, together with a red and gold velvet bag, made specially for it, and the scorecard of the 1882 match.

israr
November 5, 2006, 03:59 PM
Go England go, show that Australians are not invinvible at all. However, a small request to Australians: please don't spare Monty Panesar at all!

Alien
November 5, 2006, 06:40 PM
israr...
As humans, Australian team is likely to loose the cup once a decade or less.
As superhuman, Australian team will hammer them in the long run, any given day, any given time.

I cant wait when Lee's pace will set fire on Monty's turban.

israr
November 6, 2006, 07:00 AM
I cant wait when Lee's pace will set fire on Monty's turban.

Exactly!!

Bancan
November 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
is this AH's first post on cricket related topic:D. any way. i think the aussies are gonna kill england. england is dead

Alien
November 7, 2006, 07:39 AM
I have posted b4...not many times though:)

Hatebreed
November 7, 2006, 09:55 AM
C'mon England!

Tigers_eye
November 7, 2006, 10:58 AM
Most exciting test series??? I guess this is for those who only saw the last Ashes series. For rest of us, the standard ashes series will be restored. Onesided boring one. England getting what it deserves. This time McGrath out of the line wouldn't matter at all even if that happens.

israr
November 7, 2006, 01:58 PM
Saw the last Ashes series ball-by-ball (glad to've seen the Edgbaston Test!), and I assume this time it will be more fiecer than the last time. Hope my statements are vindicated.

Bearman
November 7, 2006, 05:34 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Saw the last Ashes series ball-by-ball (glad to've seen the Edgbaston Test!),
I was there! Not on the last day unfortunately but saw Australia get bowled out on day 2, and then Warne's 'ball of the century' when Eng came out to bat.

What have you guys got against Monty any way?

Tigers_eye
November 7, 2006, 05:52 PM
...What have you guys got against Monty any way?
Welcome Bearman.
I have a big problem against Monty. He is over-rated. Didn't win any majors and his window of opportunity is closing down fast as Tiger is getting hungrier for Majors by the seconds. The Media hypes him up too much. :)

As for Panseer, I personally have no problem. I think he is better than Giles. But he is no top 10 bowler for sure who would take England to promise land like Warne, McGrath or Lee. He will be exposed. We don't like the players who media potrays as best. I know, it is not his fault.

Hatebreed
November 7, 2006, 06:52 PM
Most exciting test series??? I guess this is for those who only saw the last Ashes series. For rest of us, the standard ashes series will be restored. Onesided boring one. England getting what it deserves. This time McGrath out of the line wouldn't matter at all even if that happens.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/2571/orlydd6.gif

thebest
November 8, 2006, 09:49 AM
This is Ponting's quote "Everyone back in Australia is saying we're going to start favourites, and if that's the case then it probably does take a bit of the pressure off and puts it on to them."
Can someone explain me how? Isn't it a tag on favourite put more pressure?
Can some one remind this loud mouth that "They were favourite in 2005 also"?

Bearman
November 8, 2006, 02:18 PM
This is Ponting's quote "Everyone back in Australia is saying we're going to start favourites, and if that's the case then it probably does take a bit of the pressure off and puts it on to them."
Can someone explain me how? Isn't it a tag on favourite put more pressure?
Can some one remind this loud mouth that "They were favourite in 2005 also"?
Its an example of the mind games Australians think they have to play every time they open their mouths.
It ends up leaving their poor heads quite confused. I read an article by an Aussie journalist that said "most Australians expect a white wash" and then later said "Australians realise this is the one of the beat Test teams to visit for a long time".

Alien
November 10, 2006, 07:11 AM
I heard Tait is going to be unleashed on England. That would be fun to watch, Lee and Tait smashing English bat to bits.

If the guy can keep his line and lenght right, wickets will come rolling like hot cakes.

Xavier
November 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
More troubles for England as Trescothick is leaving the team affected again by his "stress-related illness"!
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/current/story/267867.html

his absence sums to those of Simon Jones and Vaughan... this series could be a very tough one for England against an australian team much stronger than the one in the last Ashes series!

Tigers_eye
November 14, 2006, 05:27 PM
I would like to have a crack at Tresco since he is not coming back and bite me with a double century in near future.

"Too much of spying with binaculars does take out the interest and focus for a batsmen. Trying to focus on off the field issues puts too much stress for sure. No wonder Tresco hopped on the plane. He wouldn't be able to do that in a foreign environment." Cats_eye transformed into Tigers_eye.
Beware everyone.

amadergaan
November 21, 2006, 11:37 PM
does anyone know of any sites which is streaming the ashes? (except for cricfreak)

Andy-Flower
November 22, 2006, 02:48 AM
i agree with Tiger_eye Monty is a good bowler but he's overated...and i bet you if he gets a place in the English team...Australia will attack him early in the series to unsettle him once and for all. Australia is too strong and most of their players have a lot to prove...Langer will want to put Phil Jacques out of the picture for good and justfy his inclusion, i mean he's an Old guy and i'm sure he will want to end his carrier with a bang..

McGrath will want to kill his recent critics...Mitchell Johnson will be breathing right at his throat.

Aussie is just too talented mayne! dropping the likes of Symonds and Michaek Clarke says it all...Brad Hodge has been scoring BIG SCORES!! and taking wickets in the Australian League but he's not even in the top 16 of the likely players..

Hope England loose by at least an innings and 245 runs in the first game;)

Rabz
November 22, 2006, 06:15 AM
C'mon Aussie C'mon
C'mon
C'mon Ausie C'mon..

nail the Poms down hard...

as if we didnt had enough Poms here in Sydney, now have to deal with extra 40,000 odd more... every club pubs and the city streets are filled with them..(not that i mind the pommy chicks...)

my prediction ?
3-1 to Aussies...

Xavier
November 22, 2006, 12:00 PM
My prediction is 2-1 for Australia, they look much stronger at the moment but english batting side is not that bad and I expexct them to put a brave fight.

This series could be the "last dance" for many of aussies greats: Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath are all 35+ and will probably retire before next Ashes series in 2009. New generation is the one of Jaques, Watson, Johnson... but will Australia still be so strong?

btw Clarke will play 1st Test as Watson is going to miss it by injury.

Tigers_eye
November 22, 2006, 12:09 PM
5 game series. 3-0 Aus. May be 2-0. I don't see this (Wounded) England team winning at Australia. Specially when this series may be the last series for Warne, McGrath, Langer, Hayden.

sadi
November 22, 2006, 03:00 PM
Whitewash!!!

Xavier
November 22, 2006, 06:43 PM
20 minutes to go!

Australia have won the toss and will bat, Michael Clarke in for allrounder Watson, Stuart Clark is the 3rd pacer. Giles will be english spinner, Panesar is out!

(half past midnight here... I guess I'm going to sleep!)

Miraz
November 22, 2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know whether morning shows the day is true for cricket or not.

if true, England have a real bad start. 9 run from the first over of Harmison. :)

Miraz
November 22, 2006, 07:52 PM
Easy cruise for Aussies..

47/0 after 10 overs.

sunniath
November 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
does anyone know any cheap links for watching the series?

Sovik
November 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
freddie got the first wicket but australia on a roll

cricman
November 22, 2006, 10:05 PM
It's Flintoff vs Australia

Sovik
November 22, 2006, 11:00 PM
i won't be surprised if ponting hits 5 centuries in this series

Andy-Flower
November 23, 2006, 05:27 AM
Whitewash Aussie on top on the first day.....they look poised for a BIG ONE!

Tintin
November 23, 2006, 05:52 AM
i won't be surprised if ponting hits 5 centuries in this series

If he hits only five, that will probably be because Australia won all the Tests by an innings :)

James90
November 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
England will win in Sydney if we don't play MacGill. The only other chance they have is in Adelaide. Australia will win it 3-1 for mine, although I said that before the last Ashes.

CricFanBD
November 23, 2006, 07:08 PM
Definitely 5-0 in favor of Aussies. 3 will be the innings defeat for England. It is live telecast on TV...but don't feel any interest to watch. England is too weak to play with Australia. Both teams are so boring! One will make runs runs and other will watch all the day...

Rabz
November 23, 2006, 07:15 PM
Day 1 of Test 1 and Aussies on top.
Great going boys...
its too early to call, but the boys are right on money to reclaim the Ashes.
too bad i dont have ticket for sydney test...
wud try to get for the 5th day...
Hopefully.

Banglatiger84
November 24, 2006, 02:05 AM
I always maintained that England won last time coz McGrath was injured (they won only 2 tests out of 5, and in both those McGrath was out). And now that he is back, Australia will reclaim the Ashes.

Alien
November 24, 2006, 02:08 AM
Australia is nailing England big time.

Pity Lee is injured.

Bancan
November 24, 2006, 11:26 AM
go australia

cricman
November 25, 2006, 12:19 AM
This is looking really ugly, can't believe Australia decided to bat again england may lose by a margin of 700+ runs if Austalia decideds to bat for 60 overs

OZGOD
November 25, 2006, 02:55 AM
G'day everyone. I can think of five reasons why the follow on wasn't enforced:

1. the Laxman Syndrome which dictates that OZ will never ever enforce a follow on again
2. Our old geriatric Dad's Army bowlers need a break and put some Mentholatum on their creaky joints
3. OZ want to inflict some more wounds on England's bowling
4. OZ want to see if the pitch is really as "unplayable" as the English media were suggesting it was, with the cracks etc which was apparently why England were bundled out for 157
5. they don't want CA to have to refund all the Day 4 tickets

Alien
November 25, 2006, 03:31 AM
Anyone seen McGrath's mockery of England?? Truly hilerious.

Link (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2006-07/story/0,,1956838,00.html)

AsifTheManRahman
November 25, 2006, 03:43 AM
eita kono ashes hoilo naki? englander playerderke to pura nengta kore rastay chere dise...eshob ajaira teamer test cricket khelai uchit na!

israr
November 25, 2006, 04:50 AM
Geoffrey Boycott, I surmise my great grandather can topple your dimunitive English team!

israr
November 25, 2006, 04:55 AM
G'day everyone. I can think of five reasons why the follow on wasn't enforced:

1. the Laxman Syndrome which dictates that OZ will never ever enforce a follow on again
2. Our old geriatric Dad's Army bowlers need a break and put some Mentholatum on their creaky joints
3. OZ want to inflict some more wounds on England's bowling
4. OZ want to see if the pitch is really as "unplayable" as the English media were suggesting it was, with the cracks etc which was apparently why England were bundled out for 157
5. they don't want CA to have to refund all the Day 4 tickets

Plus Ponting wants to close in on with Lara. Selfish captain to say the least.........

Rabz
November 25, 2006, 05:23 AM
i think not taking the follow on was a good decision. personally, i wont have taken it either.

Instead, pile on a huge second innings lead, as they are doing right now and then let england face the music on the fourth innings pitch with McGrath Warne singing in full volume. its gonna be almost unbearable for the Poms to handle it, if first innings is any indication of thier expected performance.

We could see one of the biggest winning margin here which is certainly gonna put a huge dent on England's attempt to retain the Ashes.

Rabz
November 25, 2006, 05:25 AM
Plus Ponting wants to close in on with Lara. Selfish captain to say the least.........

Care to explain how is it an act of selfishness by Ponting?
I think he did the perfect thing by not taking the follow on.

Xavier
November 25, 2006, 05:44 AM
You should never try to humiliate your opponents... time will come when they'll pay you back! Now I hope Ponting won't score a century!/:)

Alien
November 25, 2006, 06:15 AM
You should never try to humiliate your opponents... time will come when they'll pay you back! Now I hope Ponting won't score a century!/:)

Dude, England did humiliate Australia last Ashes. This is Australia's payback.

Xavier
November 25, 2006, 06:35 AM
Dude, England did humiliate Australia last Ashes. This is Australia's payback.

I don't think so. England did not humiliate Australia, they just won the series as McGrath missed both tests that England could win. Not enforcing follow-on when you have a +400 lead because you want your opponents to lose by 600 or 700 runs and your captain just wants to score another century is humiliating them, exposing them to their helplessness... they are playing the cat with the dying mouse.
I don't have any preference between Australia and England, but now I hope the brits to show a proud resistance and draw the match! (5% chance of this happening anyway!:) )

billah
November 25, 2006, 09:05 PM
Here's a comprehensive plan for saving grace for the pommies:

1. "Annex" Venkatsai Vengirappu Laxman from the "colonial subjects", ask him to replicate the 285.

2. Beg Punters for a 3rd innings..

3. Invoke their ancient rain God from the pagan past.

4. Try sending the South African (KP) in. 10 times !

5. "Annex" the ashes in her majesty's name, regardless of the belting.

6. Pray? For a Christmas miracle?

7. Ask the streakers from the barmy army to get into non-stop action. Call the chubby ones. I mean, the real, ugly, jelly roll chubbs..

8. Call Boycott's mother..

9. Ask Tony (Blair) to ask Dubya(Bush) to nuke them suckuaas...You know he will...

10. Or, just cry and beg for mercy, I mean really, realy cry. Tears-and-snot,
Blair-Witch-project style uncontrollable sobbing...

That otta work. There's still hope.

Alien
November 25, 2006, 11:44 PM
I don't think so. England did not humiliate Australia, they just won the series as McGrath missed both tests that England could win. Not enforcing follow-on when you have a +400 lead because you want your opponents to lose by 600 or 700 runs and your captain just wants to score another century is humiliating them, exposing them to their helplessness... they are playing the cat with the dying mouse.
I don't have any preference between Australia and England, but now I hope the brits to show a proud resistance and draw the match! (5% chance of this happening anyway!:) )

England didnt win by big margin last time because they dont have what it takes to win against Australia by that margin. English media mocked the Aussie players unlike anything before.

That was clear humiliation.

billah
November 25, 2006, 11:45 PM
Wow !
Watch KP go !

Just 500 more runs ! England wins this one.:-D

Alien
November 26, 2006, 01:11 AM
Wow !
Watch KP go !

Warney and Mcgrath is getting smashed all over....

Sad...

Alien
November 26, 2006, 01:27 AM

England got just 2 more batsmen and then its all bowlers.

It would be a massive record if 4 bowlers and 2 batsmen survive all day tomorrow and make 500 runs.

cricman
November 26, 2006, 01:35 AM
England need 390 runs to make history w/ KP and Flintoff. Tommorow may be one of those OMG days : )

cricman
November 26, 2006, 01:58 AM
England need 390 runs to make history w/ KP and Flintoff. Tommorow may be one of those OMG days : )

I take all of that back

Warne to Flintoff, OUT, suicide. Absolute kamikaze from Flintoff. Warne banged it in short, Flintoff tried to pull it, and miscued it to Langer at long-off who didn't need to move a muscle, apart from those lifting his hands up to his face. Warne claps his hands; Flintoff trudges off. Dreadful stroke and that's opened up the tail

Rabz
November 26, 2006, 07:13 AM
Oh, Cricman, it took you only 23 minutes to retract your own statement :)

If morning is anything to show the day, i reckon thats how this Ashes gonna look like.

Kinda worried with Punta's back injury.
Hope he recovers well and quick.

Xavier
November 26, 2006, 06:33 PM
Good fightback by England, anyway Warne and mates should not have problem in taking last five wickets unless... what's the weather there in Brisbane? :-D

Miraz
November 26, 2006, 07:09 PM
Pietersen gone in the 4th ball of the fifth day.

Englands last hope is gone.

Rabz
November 27, 2006, 06:51 AM
Its called complete annihilation by the Oz.
Great goin boys....

Alien
November 27, 2006, 06:54 AM
Its called complete annihilation by the Oz.
Great goin boys....

Using last Ashes as reminder I wouldnt get too excited as its early to predict.

Last time Australia won the first test convincingly, but how did it end?

God forbid, if Warney has another sex scandal or McGrath twists his precious legs again, history will repeat it self.

Tintin
November 28, 2006, 07:20 AM
Highlights of the Test and other domestic matches :

http://www.cricketaustralia.tv/page/Home/0,,12377,00.html

Alien
November 28, 2006, 07:55 AM
This Australian team is the one of those old memorable one. 2 or 3 years later, it wont be the same as many will retire. I'll miss McGrath, Warney, Gilchrist for all three are best spinner, wicket-keeper, and fast bowler the world has produced.

Rabz
December 2, 2006, 01:02 AM
Test 2 Day 2

Great comeback by the Poms. Double century to Collingwood was great to watch.
So is K.P's batting.

Even though i want Aussies to win the series, still hoping for another great Ashes like last time and certainly the way England has batted so far in this test, it shows they wont give up without fighting.

Now let's see when they would declare and how Aussies respond.

Alien
December 2, 2006, 04:34 AM
Thats why, pride comes before a fall.

I just hope England doesnt humiliate Australia by not enforcing follow-on should Australia make a retarded score this innings.

Bearman
December 2, 2006, 09:50 AM
200 for Collingwood! England players don't often convert centuries to double centuries so this is very pleasing.
Good positive declaration. Great to pick up Langers wicket before close of play. The question is, can England's bowlers find any life/swing in this pitch that Aus missed?

Hatebreed
December 2, 2006, 02:32 PM
England should try to bowl out the Aussies by the end of today but first they need to get Ponting.

aosaif
December 2, 2006, 11:33 PM
any way to get live online coverage of the Ashes?......for free?

AsifTheManRahman
December 3, 2006, 01:25 AM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr valign="top"><td>
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> SK Warne (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/player/8166.html)</td> <td align="right">53http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">9</td> <td align="right">167</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td align="right">3.15</td> <td align="right">(1w)</td></tr></tbody> </table>
well, looks like someone else can play Fat Boy as well as our Shahriar Nafees :)

btw Xavier, Ponting ended up scoring a century :p

Bancan
December 3, 2006, 01:33 AM
ponting may not be the most liked player but he is one of the greatest. the dude just keeps on scoring centuries. i bet he will at least have 45-50 centuries by the end of his career.

layperson
December 3, 2006, 01:36 AM
Can someone explain why panesar is not playing anf giles is given preference over him ? If he is fit then I think that is a bit racial decision given the fact that panesar was performing for england while giles just recovered from injury. Strange decision I find this one !!!

layperson
December 3, 2006, 01:38 AM
ponting may not be the most liked player but he is one of the greatest. the dude just keeps on scoring centuries. i bet he will at least have 45-50 centuries by the end of his career.

Right now he has the second best test average after Don bradman. with this century of his I think he just overtook greame pollock. He is one of the best batsman to play cricket but he is also one of the worst sportsman and ambassador for the game. As a person I find him a bit snobbish and racist.

shanil
December 4, 2006, 11:17 AM
Clarck saved the day for aussies, jaak baacha galo

cricman
December 4, 2006, 10:35 PM
England are 97/6!

AsifTheManRahman
December 4, 2006, 10:39 PM
oh man...this is getting interesting! england are 97/6, and are leading by 135 runs with 4 wickets in hand and 58 overs to go. they have collingwood who's at 8 off 66 balls and giles out there. would be awesome if the aussies can pull off a win from here - least expected!

cricman
December 4, 2006, 10:40 PM
now 97/7 warne is doing his thing

thebest
December 5, 2006, 12:17 AM
Aus need 167 in 34 overs

AsifTheManRahman
December 5, 2006, 12:25 AM
oh man...this is unbelievable! any team would've managed a draw from the position that the pommies were in! even us!

Navarene
December 5, 2006, 12:40 AM
I put my money on aussie! At 4.67 RR the target seems like a cake walk in the park. Its hard to believe England counld bat soo irresponsibly!

cricman
December 5, 2006, 12:47 AM
Langer out! That just means 2 things 1)<more likely> pointing gets to rip apart england or 2)<u never say never>We might be in for a thriller.

BTW: great Test for Hoggard

ialbd
December 5, 2006, 02:28 AM
what a game.... 5th day drama is always entertainment

mhferdaus
December 5, 2006, 02:34 AM
ekul bhange okul gore .... ei to nodir khela :D.

shanil
December 5, 2006, 03:17 AM
take that england hhahahahahahahahaha

thebest
December 5, 2006, 03:45 AM
Ausssie again prove why they r no 1

Alien
December 5, 2006, 03:54 AM
I feel happy coz Bangladesh doesnt have to feel guilty after putting Australia behind in first innings and loosing the game, last time they were here.

But the Gillespie double century will haunt us(not the players coz they got no shame) for many years to come.

cricman
December 6, 2006, 12:22 AM
heres a great quote
"It took England 16 years to regain the Ashes - these men gave them back yesterday in two hours of schoolboy panic."

very hypocrtical isn't it? I mean these are the same players sans jones and Vaughn that won the Ashes in the first place.

Alien
December 6, 2006, 02:02 AM
One really has to understand Australia's mentality this Ashes. The last Ashes was a massive blow to Australia's ego and people literally counted days to this series when they can exact pay-back.

When Australia's ego is challenged, nothing can stand in its way. We know that from previous experience when BD had the upper hand initially and then what happened? Nightwatchman like Gillespie comes in and rattles up whole bowling line up with 201.

Australia's biggest weapon is not McGrath or Warne or Ponting. Its their ego. But you gotta mess with it first to get annihilated.

Imteaz
December 12, 2006, 02:13 AM
I don't Think England can Win This Series. Australia is Just in Fire. More Over They are in 2-0 Lead. So it is almost Impossible for England to Come Back, Untill and Unless A Miracle Occur.

afrina
December 12, 2006, 02:16 PM
Australia will win The Ashes 2006-07.

Alien
December 13, 2006, 08:15 AM
Australia will win The Ashes 2006-07.

Tell us something new.

abdulw11
December 14, 2006, 07:49 AM
Monty Panesar became the first English spinner to take a five-wicket haul in Perth as England grabbed the initiative in the third Ashes Test.

He made a dream start to his Ashes career, taking 5-92 off 24 overs as Australia were bowled out for 244.

But Australia hit back before the close, taking two wickets as England ended the day on 51-2.

On a pitch traditionally favouring fast bowlers Panesar shone, although Steve Harmison chipped in with 4-48.

Video Highlights (UK viewers only) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/video_and_audio/help_guide/4304501.stm)

AsifTheManRahman
December 14, 2006, 02:53 PM
so panesar shows us what kind of a jackbutt that fletcher guy is...what kind of an idiot plays a mediocre spinner like giles against australia in australia?

abdulw11
December 14, 2006, 05:13 PM
There was a lot of talk in the media, especially in England, about Monty not getting selected for the first two days, and I mean A LOT. I'm so glad the guy done well because a lot of people were expecting good, if not great things from him. And if he had failed, that could've potentially been the end of Panesar.

Anywho, Giles must be feeling as useful as a bellybutton right about now...

Alien
December 15, 2006, 07:17 AM
Well, when you are a new comer, its something you have to get used to - getting dropped even after performing your peak. Giles, regardless how crap Giles is, he will always get the benefit of doubt because he has been there longer.

Same happens everywhere. Last Ashes, it took them till 3rd or 4th match to realise that Gillespie's days are already gone before he was kicked out of the squad. Till then, Australia had to endure the endless hammering from English bats.

Selectors are usually conservative, i.e they don't make change unless its absolutely necessary. With new comers its all the more stringent.

Alien
December 15, 2006, 07:19 AM
Its a pity Langer got out the first ball. I was dumbfounded when Haggard took that wicket.

Banglatiger84
December 16, 2006, 02:21 PM
England are on the verge of losing the 3rd test in spite of Monty taking 8 wickets. Wonder how it would have turned out had Giles played ?

IanW
December 16, 2006, 05:10 PM
This series reminds me a lot of the Australian tour of Bangladesh ... England bat magnificently in the first innings of the Brisbane test, and are psychologically broken when Australia fight back from a lost position to win. The following games are then a rout.

It's already a cliche, but you need something very special to beat Australia.

Alien
December 16, 2006, 10:10 PM
Ponting is an idiot for declaring so early with 2 days to spare.

Alien
December 16, 2006, 11:04 PM
The pitch looks very uneven with grassy patches at both ends. Clark got some high bouncers from those areas and Warne is making good use of it. But England is approaching 100 runs with 1 wicket. Thats not much of a good news with Collingwood and Pietersen sitting in dressing room padded up.

BangladeshFan
December 17, 2006, 07:19 AM
if england reaches the target it will be world record for sure and i will become a supporter of england :) there is still a long way to go and i predict them to fold in about 300.

but what an innings from glichrist!! i guess he really targeted panesar, denting the confidence of england's best bowler. he is the best wk batsman i have seen, may very well be the best ever.

cricman
December 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
Flintoff played a captains knock, warne just cleaned him up along with the Ashes!

Alien
December 17, 2006, 11:44 PM
1 more wicket and Ashes comes home to where it belongs!

Alien
December 18, 2006, 12:58 AM
Warne's wrapped up the game. Ashes trophy is finally coming home.

Here is the scorecard (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausveng/engine/current/match/249224.html) and Bulletin (http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/current/story/273176.html).

But I seriously don't know why Hussey got the MOM. Should have gone to either Michael Clarke or Warne.

IanW
December 18, 2006, 03:00 AM
Ponting is an idiot for declaring so early with 2 days to spare.

The way the game turned out, I think it's pretty clear he declared at exactly the right time.

If they'd batted for another session, then England get home (remember, it was exhaustion that got Cook. If he's there on the 5th morning, England draw).

Alien
December 18, 2006, 04:48 AM
The way the game turned out, I think it's pretty clear he declared at exactly the right time.

If they'd batted for another session, then England get home (remember, it was exhaustion that got Cook. If he's there on the 5th morning, England draw).

I wrote it at the time when Cook and Bell were smashing Clarke and Warne around the stadium. Obviously that quote of mine is out of context now.

Sovik
December 18, 2006, 07:33 PM
it will be 5-0. england's bowling attack looks ordinary. harmison lost his form. and too much pressure on flintoff.

Alien
December 27, 2006, 04:53 AM
I feel sorry for England. Their bowling plan got leaked to the press. But they still did a good job pinning Australia to a low 372. Source of the news (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/12/27/ucquot27.xml)

sunny747
December 28, 2006, 12:00 AM
english bowling plan....does bd evaluates like this also?
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/70000/70052.jpg

Alien
December 28, 2006, 04:50 AM
Is that the real one that got leaked? I looked in the net for it but couldn't find anything like it.

Rabz
December 28, 2006, 06:29 AM
I wonder why the Poms even bother to show up...
they could have just fedex-ed the urn to Australia and save themselves from the humiliation and also spent christmas and the holiday season with their loved ones.. where they would be loved, safe and protected...

Alien
December 28, 2006, 07:17 AM
I wonder why the Poms even bother to show up...
they could have just fedex-ed the urn to Australia and save themselves from the humiliation and also spent christmas and the holiday season with their loved ones.. where they would be loved, safe and protected...

Why? Don't you want to see a pure pom-bashing in MCG in front of 71 000 crowd?

Rabz
December 29, 2006, 08:19 PM
Why? Don't you want to see a pure pom-bashing in MCG in front of 71 000 crowd?

Yeah mate..its always good to see pure Pom bashing...
but id rather have an exciting cricket match, with Aussies coming on top...
no point starring at tele the whole day only to watch some grass growing (which is more exciting than the English team)...

if i had to watch some boring game...
i can always try to watch kenya-bermuda match...
not Australia-England

cricman
January 3, 2007, 07:54 PM
Final Test for Warne check what he does on his first 2 balls he faces

<table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="603"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td align="right" width="30">73.3</td> <td width="100%">Panesar to Warne, SIX, brilliant! What an eye from Warne who strides forward and with a pre-meditated aerial drive over mid-wicket just lifts the ball all the way. Strike-rate 500... </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td align="right" width="30">73.2</td> <td width="100%">Panesar to Warne, FOUR, Warne gets down on one knee and proposes to sweep that round fine, and in fact the ball does get engaged, with a bottom edge. Off the mark first ball, with a four </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td colspan="2">Warne walks out to a rousing reception at the SCG - still in search of that elusive Test century...</td></tr></tbody></table>

cricman
January 3, 2007, 10:15 PM
Australia: 393/9 (95.3 Ovs) Warne 71*, he needs 29 more runs I hope McGrath can hold up.

Bancan
January 3, 2007, 11:49 PM
he missed it:(

karimjay.
January 4, 2007, 12:18 AM
England currently 2/60 trailing by 42. Great batting by Aussie tail after lunch. Pietersen looking decent.

I like Monty. In my opinion he's as good as McGill who I respect as a bowler very much(despite his pig-headed comments during the upset between BD and Australia, Bangladeshi fans who watched from Australia will agree wholeheartedly). I don't think he's exactly world class but a definite talent all the same. He's over-rated but he didnt ask for the charisma and popularity that he has.

Tigers_eye
January 4, 2007, 11:50 AM
Kotha matitey porlo na. Normal order has been restored in the ashes series. Now after the world cup there will be new English Coach, Captain, players. Ranking will fall like a falling rock. :) I love it. Here we come England.

Tribute to Warne, Langer, and McGrath. Here comes Clark, Hussey, Hodge, Tait, Watson and Johnson. New wave mixing with the old ones Ponting, Gilchrist, Lee. Australia will still dominate without missing a beat.

orzoon
January 4, 2007, 03:06 PM
I Always believed Pommies win agst the Aussies in the last ASHES TRPHY was an aberration.This ASHES proved it.This English team is just a joke . 5-0. LOL.England deserves it and Hey England CRICKEY sucKS BIGG !!!!!

AsifTheManRahman
January 4, 2007, 08:04 PM
haay re england, toderke to ekkere nengta kore plane e uthay dilo!

billah
January 4, 2007, 08:06 PM
Same old story, all the way through to the end. Blink, another wicket gone. Take a coffee break, England dives into a collapse. This was to be a series of batting collapses for England.

Flintoff blew the only match where there was hope for a draw. Miserable.

AsifTheManRahman
January 4, 2007, 08:13 PM
i can see a couple of people getting sacked in the aftermath, namely fletcher and flintoff (from captaincy). how are pietersen's leadership skills?

AsifTheManRahman
January 4, 2007, 08:29 PM
Langer shakes hands with everyone, Strauss patting him on the back a few times, and the Australian team run onto the pitch to soak up the party atmosphere and get the celebrations starting after a crushing, emphatic victory. A swarm of photographers crowd round a teary Langer and he smiles, now Gilchrist hugs him, now Lee. Lots of emotions out there, now it's Symonds giving him a hug. McGrath's turn, the two retirees share an embrace. Hussey this time. Warne and Langer now. Well done everyone.

A stony-faced Flintoff (well, stony by his standards) takes his players off the pitch. Australia of course stay on - this is their moment.

Langer now takes his bat and raises it to the jubilant crowd, while Hayden puts an arm round his shoulders.

McGrath claps his hands above his head to acknowledge the crowd. Warne doffs his cap and waves a stump around. Ponting now takes his turn to tousle Langer's hair.

-cricinfo commentary

karimjay.
January 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
i can see a couple of people getting sacked in the aftermath, namely fletcher and flintoff (from captaincy). how are pietersen's leadership skills?

No way is he going to be captain. Apparently he's the least popular player in the England team. He's going to get the Sehwag and Inzy-Graeme Smith treatment.

Xavier
January 8, 2007, 03:15 PM
The English are hugely disappointed by the whole series after winning in 2005, but I think it's not such an upset: take Trescothick, Vaughan and Simon Jones away from that team, give Hussey and McGrath (who couldn't play the two tests that England won) to Australia and change location from England to down under and that's how 2-1 turns into 0-5!
Maybe England could win back the Ashes in 2009, when Australia will have a completely changed team and they will still rely on Pietersen, Flintoff, Hoggard...

Imteaz
January 9, 2007, 01:32 AM
I Think England team was not Bad. This Team was Stronger than any Other English Side Who Played Ashes Before. Unfortunately Australia was The Best Test Side in The Test Cricket History.

When You Loose, You always have to Tolerate Criticism. When Australia Lost the Ashes in 2005 Lots of People Said That Australia has Finished and Australian Kingdom is going to be End. But It wasn't Happen. Don't Forget This England Team End the Series 1-1 with India in Indian Soil. We all Know Whatever Happen, India is Always One of The Strongest Test Squad in Their Home Soil.

Loosing to Australia 0-5 doesn't mean, England Team is Poor. Australia is Too Strong. It is almost Impossible now a day to beat Australia in Test. Australia Whitewash Srilanka by 3-0 in Srilanka, South Africa by 3-0 in South Africa. It is not Strange that they can Whitewash any Test Squad in Their Home Soil in Present Time. They are Too Strong.

So, What Should England Do Now? They are Supposed to Win the ODI Tournament by Beating Australia and Newzealand. It will be hard also but it will also be easier than Test Series. Because Australian ODI Squad is the Strongest but not like the Test Squad. They are Beatable. West Indies beat them twice in recent time.

England ODI Squad is also very Poor. But if all English Cricketer will be 100% Fit and Management can Plan Well, it is not Impossible for Them to win the ODI Tournament. Michael Vaugn has Come Back as Captain. Hope He can Lead the Team well and Their Players can Perform Well. They have Ability but They have to Prove it on to the Ground.

Good Luck England. Have a Nice Time.

Alien
January 10, 2007, 05:21 AM
I Think England team was not Bad. This Team was Stronger than any Other English Side Who Played Ashes Before. Unfortunately Australia was The Best Test Side in The Test Cricket History.

Did you watch any of the game? This team suck hard. Last Ashes, England was in superior format, even though Aussie did have their setbacks to make things easy for them. Hardly anyone is in form. Harmison, who should always be on the top of his game, being the lead strike bowler, bowled like a 5 year old holding the wooden ball for the first time in his life.

When You Loose, You always have to Tolerate Criticism. When Australia Lost the Ashes in 2005 Lots of People Said That Australia has Finished and Australian Kingdom is going to be End. But It wasn't Happen. Don't Forget This England Team End the Series 1-1 with India in Indian Soil. We all Know Whatever Happen, India is Always One of The Strongest Test Squad in Their Home Soil.

No one said Australian Kingdom will come down and they were finished. They all knew, Australia will be fired up because of this loss and they proved it in the ROW match.

So, What Should England Do Now?

Boshe anguul chushuk.

karimjay.
January 11, 2007, 01:13 AM
Lol, Warfaze talks like my dad:P.

On a more serious note, I disagree with Warfaze pretty much completely. England are in dismal form. Their team organisation is depressing at best, bad enough for the bowling plan to be exposed to the public.(Although it could've happen to anyone, if the holder of the plan was paying 100% attention this mistake would have been prevented). Their all round talent is not world class and captaincy..well I wont go there.

06-07 Ashes Tour was crap.

Imteaz
January 13, 2007, 09:58 PM
Well, If England Won the Series by any Chance, What would be the Comments? Anyone Thought that Australia lost The Series of 2005, after Autralia beat England on the very 1st Test?

Perception Deffers..............:)

Alien
January 14, 2007, 03:20 AM
Well, If England Won the Series by any Chance, What would be the Comments?

That depends on how they won the series.

Anyone Thought that Australia lost The Series of 2005, after Autralia beat England on the very 1st Test?

And so? Australia did suck in the end which is what matters more.

Perception Deffers..............:)

Yours does for sure. :)

Alien
January 14, 2007, 03:22 AM
Lol, Warfaze talks like my dad:P.

lol...I thought he talks like my nephew who will be born in about 6 month time.

Imteaz
January 14, 2007, 05:20 AM
lol...I thought he talks like my nephew who will be born in about 6 month time.

Should I Call You "Uncle" from Now?:)

Alien
January 14, 2007, 07:04 AM
Should I Call You "Uncle" from Now?:)

Well, given you have a mental age of -6 months, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Imteaz
January 14, 2007, 09:50 PM
Well, given you have a mental age of -6 months, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

So, My New Uncle:p ................How are You? :smug:

IanW
January 18, 2007, 09:22 PM
Warfaze wrote

"I Think England team was not Bad. This Team was Stronger than any Other English Side Who Played Ashes Before."

I'm sorry. I stopped paying attention there. Warfaze clearly knows nothing about cricket.

Ian Whitchurch

Imteaz
January 20, 2007, 10:07 PM
Warfaze wrote

"I Think England team was not Bad. This Team was Stronger than any Other English Side Who Played Ashes Before."

I'm sorry. I stopped paying attention there. Warfaze clearly knows nothing about cricket.

Ian Whitchurch

True, Cricket is a Huge Field of Concentration. I don't Know Anything. I am Trying to Learn. That's Why I am Here. Hope I can Learn Something.:)