PDA

View Full Version : 721 runs partnership in 40 overs - World record

Tigers_eye
November 16, 2006, 03:20 PM
Yup! This is a world record. Mohammed Shaibaaz Tumbi and Manoj Kumar of St. Peters school broke the long lasting 664 run partnership record of Tendu and Kumbli.

I was astonished at the rate they did that.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/268484.html
Cricinfo:
Two junior cricketers from Hyderabad created history when they added a world-record 721 runs in 40 overs to eclipse the 664-run stand between Sachin Tendulkar and Vinod Kambli set in 1987-88 (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/135328.html). The St Peter's School openers B Manoj Kumar and Mohammed Shaibaaz Tumbi, both 13, hit an unbeaten 320 and 324 respectively in the Hyderabad Cricket Association Inter-School Under-13 tournament on Wednesday.
Manoj's innings consumed only 120 deliveries and included 46 fours, while Shaibaaz needed just 116 balls and hit 57 fours to batter the St Phillip's High School attack. Neither batsman was informed of the record during their mammoth partnership, which was put together in a single day, unlike the three days shared by Tendulkar and Kambli.

"When we were on the 600-run mark, our coach informed us that there were 38 runs left for the world record and instructed us to play well and not get out. We were under pressure and that's why we played slowly," added Manoj.

Speaking on the one chance that Manoj gave when on 285, Shaibaaz said: "We deserved that slice of luck. It was our day".
St Phillip's day didn't get much better as the opening bowler Akram picked up 7 for 11 to bowl them out for 21 in seven overs. I am not sure what was the winning margin but had to be over 700 runs. :)

Hatebreed
November 16, 2006, 03:41 PM
That's awesome, congrats to these young cricketers. Perhaps someday they will enter and become as good in the international arena.

Rabz
November 18, 2006, 12:48 AM
Is it just a incident or a coincidence?
or history repeating itself??

The great Tendulkar did the same thing when he was a kid....
the rest is history... now he is a demi-god of cricket ...
nearing his retirement sometimes in couple of years....

and now we got one more young school cricketer breaking his record...
who knows, if history repeats itself, we may hv another Tendulkar in making!!!

Protic
November 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Thats.. great
Something similar happened in Bangladesh too..not 721 runs but 500 runs or so.. Two u-14 kids scoring 500 runs partnership.

Tehsin
November 23, 2006, 10:57 AM
It's great that they have scored so many runs in some who-knows-what-class cricket. Don't see the big deal. Unless one or both the kids continue this in future, this was all just a much hoopla about nothing, like that tiny kid in india driving his dads truck or the tiny kid in India who kept on running/walking and running/walking until the doctors forced the family and the politicians to make the boy stop (it was effecting his growth/health). They sure are full of some weird and unusual antics in our part of the world

Shehwar
November 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
I dont see any point of this getting so much attention.....I remember smashing 261 in an over 600 runs partnership when i was around13/14 in one of those my school vs ur school between ppl we know from those school matches.....I bet our standard was equally good if not better....As I write this Im sure some kids out there in one of our little villages is having a 750 runs partnership.........

Tintin
November 23, 2006, 12:53 PM
I dont see any point of this getting so much attention.....I remember smashing 261 in an over 600 runs partnership when i was around13/14 in one of those my school vs ur school between ppl we know from those school matches.....I bet our standard was equally good if not better....As I write this Im sure some kids out there in one of our little villages is having a 750 runs partnership.........

This match was something like that, but the standard of the Kambli-Tendulkar match was far, far higher. Apart from the two, their team also had two future Ranji players (one of whom - Amol Mazumdar - is the current captain of Mumbai) and was against an attack that included a future Test cricketer (Sairaj Bahutule, who was hit about for 27-0-182-0)