PDA

View Full Version : Disable "Related Topic"

Orpheus
November 26, 2006, 09:27 PM
It oftens lead ppl to bring up silly old threads. Just a suggestion. But I can see it's use though.

Zunaid
November 27, 2006, 12:12 AM
VBulletin implemented based on very simple bag of words matching - and by the looks of it, title words only. Sometimes it is useful and many times we have newbies (and some oldbies) dredging up deeply buried posts of the past. With hilarious results sometimes - just for the comic relief we might just keep it :)

More seriously, do people use the feature?

Orpheus
November 27, 2006, 02:16 AM
I sometimes also get a kick out of it but hardly click on it. BUt I DO click on few time to time. Infact I might have brought one or two up myself.

Orpheus
November 27, 2006, 02:22 AM
OR we can use a hack to automatically have the "OLD THRED" tag implemented for posts that are let's say 6months and older.

Nasif
November 27, 2006, 02:40 AM
I personally love it. Nostalgia factor is pure joy. Sometime it brings up very relevant and other times not so relevant threads. Initially when we upgraded to vB, this option was disabled as it required re-indexing all of the forum threads. I enabled it few weeks later (after re-indexing) and loved it since then.

Digging up old thread didn't reach that bad level that we have to think of removing it ;)