PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence:Another Shahriar-Mehrab opening partnership

marif
December 6, 2006, 02:55 PM
at last Bangladesh got the reliable opening partnership like Bidyut-Opi( thier original name: Shahriar Hossain-Mehrab Hossain) I think its a coincedencial fact that the same name of our current opening batsmen: Shahriar Nafees and Mehrab Hossain.

TheWatcher
December 6, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah, the coincedence is funny. But I hope this Shahriar-Mehrab pair won't face the pre-mature death like the last one did.

marif
December 6, 2006, 03:01 PM
Shahriar Hossain Bidyut and Mehrab Hossain Opi scored 172 runs in opening partnership against Zimbabwe at Dhaka in 1999.

marif
December 6, 2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.udayan.com/bdcricket/wc99bd13.jpg Bangladeshi openers Shahriar Hossain and Mehrab Hossain upsetting Waqar Younus

marif
December 6, 2006, 03:13 PM
Shahriar Hossain:

1. Scored 95 against Kenya during 1999 Meril International, at the time it was the best individual score for any Bangladeshi (Atahar Ali Khan's 82 vs Pakistan during 1997 Asia Cup)

2. made the highest opening partnership record 172 runs for Bangladesh along with Mehrab Hossain in ODI cricket (during Meril International cup 1999 against Zimbabwe)

3. Scored 2nd highest after Akram Khan in the match of our famous victory over Pakistan in world cup 1999.

Mehrab Hossain:

1. The maiden century-maker for any Bangladeshi in ODI cricket.
2. The first batsman from Bangladesh to score an ODI fifty in a world cup (against West Indies during 1999 world cup)

3. Holds the highest opening partnership record for Bangladesh (along with Shahriar Hossain (in fact, for any wicket) in ODI cricket (during Meril International cup 1999 against Zimbabwe) where he scored 101 runs

4. Partnered in a 50-run opening stand against Pakistan in that famous victory over Pakistan, where he struggled, but stayed at the wicket with Shahriar Hossain

marif
December 6, 2006, 03:21 PM
Scorecard :Bangladesh v Zimbabwe(Meril International Cricket Tournament, 1998/99, 6th Match),Bangabandhu National Stadium, Dhaka (day/night),25 March 1999 (50-over match) :
http://eap.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1998-99/OD_TOURNEYS/MICT/SCORECARDS/BDESH_ZIM_MICT_ODI6_25MAR1999.html

FaridpurChicago
December 6, 2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah, the coincedence is funny. But I hope this Shahriar-Mehrab pair won't face the pre-mature death like the last one did.

Ditto + Death of nafis (pre-mature) is a death of all BD hopes for 3 years.

marif
December 6, 2006, 03:28 PM
Shahriar-Mehrab: New Generation
<TABLE class=tablestyle id=Table1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=490 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>http://www.tigercricket.com/pgallery/SN13122006.jpg
Man of the moment Shahriar Nafees Ahmed flicks during his 67 at Bogras Shahid Chandu Stadium today (Sunday). © TigerCricket.com

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 16px" align=left>http://www.tigercricket.com/pgallery/SN_3122006.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Shahriar Nafees Ahmed drives during his half-century today.© TigerCricket.com </TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>http://www.tigercricket.com/pgallery/Mehr3122006.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 17px" align=left>Mehrab Hossain (Jr.) cuts during the course of his first ODI fifty at the Shahid Chandu Stadium today (Sunday). © TigerCricket.com </TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 17px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 17px" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 18px" align=left> http://www.tigercricket.com/pgallery/Mefrab3122006.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 17px" align=left>Mehrab Hossain (Jr.) gets a pat on his head from skipper Habibul Bashar (L) after reaching his fifty today (Sunday). © TigerCricket.com </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Omio
December 6, 2006, 03:32 PM
I still feel sry for both of them (biddut and Opi).If they were more serious they wud hab been still play in BD team, specially Opi, he was 1 of the good batsman on thats time.He can play all kind of short .. but its very unfortunate he is no more in cricket world..

Fazal
December 6, 2006, 03:37 PM
I still feel sry for both of them (biddut and Opi).If they were more serious they wud hab been still play in BD team, specially Opi, he was 1 of the good batsman on thats time.He can play all kind of short .. but its very unfortunate he is no more in cricket world..

Don't worry we still have Opi in our team... just that he changed his name, body and batting position. This one. unlike old Opi, has stong "Khuti" and "Fan Base". This time the new Opi will stay beyond your comfort level.

TheWatcher
December 6, 2006, 03:43 PM
Don't worry we still have Opi in our team... just that he changed his name, body and batting position. This one. unlike old Opi, has stong "Khuti" and "Fan Base". This time the new Opi will stay beyond your comfort level.
Oh no, Fazal is turnig this one too into anothe Ash thread :hairpull:

Omio
December 6, 2006, 03:47 PM
Fazal vai, who is that Opi?
ami tou khuje pai na..

Fazal
December 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
Fazal vai, who is that Opi?
ami tou khuje pai na..

Haire kopal Mondo...
Chokh Thaketey Ondhoy.

Oh no, Fazal is turnig this one too into anothe Ash thread :hairpull:

Who me? Couldn't be.... (never mentioned Ash's name in message). Then who? :-D

Omio
December 6, 2006, 04:08 PM
Haire kopal Mondo...
Chokh Thaketey Ondhoy.

sudhu ami ami ondho naki cokh thaki te , eta pora bangali jati...

Kabir
December 6, 2006, 04:14 PM
yea I was thinking where did Opi vanish? I stopped following BD cricket from 2000/2005 and lost a big huge chunk of successes (including win against australia/india/sl). Very upsetting :(

sunniath
December 6, 2006, 04:33 PM
i like this pair.both of them are leftys,but have completely different styles.reminds me of aussie opening duo.although, hayden and langer are the two top players in the world and it is still still too early to predict jr.'s future,the way they compliment each other gives me hope for a long lasting pair.

worldofad
December 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
i have this feeling about batsmen that left-handed batsmen always play good cricket. I tried to think of some bad left-handed batsmen but couldn't find many. Guys what do you think? Try it out.

I think it's a good sign for BD cricket that we have so many left-handed batsmen in the team now. The two openers are there and also Sakib is a lefty and so is Rafique. Even some bowlers dont feel comfortable bowling against left-handed batsmen. As a result, the lefties take advantage of that and perform good in the field.

I think Nafees and Mehrab is a good opening pair for BD. Sakib to come later is a plus point.

billah
December 6, 2006, 06:04 PM
Man ! I'm beginning to like this coincidence bit....

SMHasan
December 6, 2006, 08:27 PM
The thing is Mehrab Hossein and Shahriar Hossein made that partnership against a good Zimbabwian team, may be on that day Zimbabwe didnt have the strongest team but I was really impressed by their batting. Although that match was a formality for bd as we were already out of the series still we were entertained a little bit. It is unfortunate that both Mehrab and Shahriar didnt survive too long but they were not less responsible for their disappearence from the intl arena.

One of my favourite commentator Geoffry Boycott once said "If you love this game then you can't really quit. As you love this game you should continue to play keeping in mind that you won't be able to play cricket all through your life. If someone tells me to live another 10 yrs and play cricket or die after 20 yrs living like now- I would choose to play cricket rather than living like this.I love this game so much".

So I don't think both Mehrab and Shahriar had the correct mindset and love for the game to continue although I know that there were some other elements. Pretty sad.

billah
December 6, 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for sharing that Hasan...

baisab
December 6, 2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.udayan.com/bdcricket/wc99bd13.jpg Bangladeshi openers Shahriar Hossain and Mehrab Hossain upsetting Waqar Younus

Man this pic brings back some good memories, was a cold day, but was worth the trip. :)

sadi
December 6, 2006, 08:47 PM
Some people just take their talents for granted. Mehrab was one of them. He could drink all night long and come in the morning and bat beautifully in the net. He was that talented. But everything has a limit and he just couldn't do it after sometime. He was undoubtedly one of the most talented I've seen. But just like SMHasn said, he didn't have the right mindset.

SMHasan
December 6, 2006, 08:55 PM
Another significant thing is that in that record breaking match we ripped through a very good batting lineup! Just go through them all top 7 batsmen were top class comparing to this current Zombies! We did bowl well.

I think Hasibul dropped a vital catch in the end of that match and we really paid the price. We should have won that match.

Protic
December 6, 2006, 11:15 PM
From all this ..I would say .. OUR 1999 WC KIT WAS AWESOME!! comparing to the current one :(
lol.. jokes apart... I think the thing which is making Mehrab JR and SN successful is that one of them goes for shots ..and other stays..It has always been the secret of good partnerships..so why not for them?
But i think Mehrab Hossain JR should try to hit some aswell..Its not gonna be SN all the time.
BTW if we dont have the Yellow spots in our current kits..it will look great.
If someones connected to BCB :( please inform this!

marif
December 7, 2006, 01:28 AM
Shahriar Nafees
Bangladesh
Player profile (http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/56153.html#Profile)
Full name Shahriar Nafees Ahmed
Born January 25, 1986, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Current age 20 years 316 days
Major teams <NOBR>Bangladesh,</NOBR> <NOBR>Bangladesh Under-19s,</NOBR> <NOBR>Bangladesh Under-23s</NOBR>
Batting style Left-hand bat

Statsguru Test player (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=filter;playerid=47721;class=testplayer), ODI player (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=filter;playerid=47721;class=odiplayer)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=profiles-stats-heading colSpan=2 height=16> Batting and fielding averages</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc height=17><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> mat</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> inns</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> no</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> runs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> hs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ave</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> bf</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> sr</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 100</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ct</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> st</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>Tests</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 12</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 402</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 138</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 33.50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 723</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 55.60</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 55</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 31</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 31</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1160</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 123*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 41.42</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1674</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 69.29</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 146</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>Twenty20 Int.</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 25</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 25</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 25.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 17</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 147.05</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>First-class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 22</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 43</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1465</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 138</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 34.88</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2362</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 62.02</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 13</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 14</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>List A</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 37</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 37</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1344</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 147</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 39.52</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1883</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 71.37</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 7</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>Twenty20</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 25</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 25</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 25.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 17</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 147.05</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

marif
December 7, 2006, 10:05 AM
Mehrab Hossain jnr
Bangladesh
Player profile (http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/56031.html#Profile)
Full name Mehrab Hossain jnr
Born July 8, 1987, Dhaka
Current age 19 years 152 days
Major teams <NOBR>Bangladesh,</NOBR> <NOBR>Bangladesh A,</NOBR> <NOBR>Dhaka Division</NOBR>
Playing role Batsman
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Left-arm slow

Statsguru ODI player (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=filter;playerid=48388;class=odiplayer)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=profiles-stats-heading colSpan=2 height=16> Batting and fielding averages</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc height=17><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> mat</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> inns</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> no</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> runs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> hs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ave</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> bf</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> sr</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 100</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ct</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> st</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 105</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 54</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 35.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 239</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 43.93</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 10</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>First-class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 22</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 39</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1234</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 196</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 35.25</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 13</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>List A</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 22</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 20</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 662</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 65*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 38.94</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1130</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 58.58</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 8</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BangladeshFan
December 7, 2006, 05:11 PM
And that opening of 172 runs were scored against the full zim attack consisting i think heath streak, brandes etc. not the 3rd string zim currently playing. both zim and kenya at that time were better than their current teams . somehow i feel both biddut and opi were more talented than mehrab hossain jr. In 99 WC, biddut played wonderfully against pak and opi against WI in those lively england pitches. i just cant see them coming from current mehrab hossain . we need a quicker scoring opener. Even australia doesnt use langer to open in ODIs and go for gilchrist. A no.3 or 4 or 5 can play as anchor not an opener ( see the team combination of 96 SL, 99 or 2003 Aus).

AsifTheManRahman
December 7, 2006, 05:34 PM
give him time. i noticed how he adjusted to the pace of the game in the third odi - keeping up with nafees when he was scoring fast and slowing down after his dismissal. it was a short-lived innings, so it doesn't prove much, but he did show glimpses of confidence and ability to adjust to the needs of the team. let's see how he fares in the next four games this year.

SS
December 7, 2006, 05:47 PM
is he also a product of McInness or post era?