PDA

View Full Version : Should Mash stand in the slips?

akabir77
December 7, 2006, 11:17 AM
I was watching the TV news and saw that mash was standing in the slips. I am not 100% sure that was the case but i think he also tried to take a catch and dropped it.
Anyway my concern is over the years listening to the expert commentators i believe that fast bowlers shouldn't stand in the slips. Two reasons. First they could get hurt easily and fast blowers are rare breed and top of that mash is very injury pron.
2nd fast bowlers doesn't move fast so they are rarely good slip fielders. But on mash's case this might be wrong as he is a very good fielder. But should bd management put him in jeopardy by giving him the slip position?
what are your thoughts?:onethephone:

Kabir
December 7, 2006, 12:07 PM
Kabir bhai, phone rakhen, tarpor boltesi.

Rakhsen? Okay, so I agree with you that there might be risks with putting him there. But he might have been put there for other reasons too...so until we know those reasons, it's very hard to say if it was the right choice to put him there.

akabir77
December 7, 2006, 12:17 PM
lol

RazabQ
December 7, 2006, 01:07 PM
guys who stood at slip because he had a sore shoulder and it was decided not to risk it by having him take deep throws

Rihaad The Man
December 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
Such a stupid thread mate , noone ever seen any fast bowler standing on the slips :)........

We need him for a long throw from the outfield .............& Nafees would be standing on the slips for sure as usual............

akabir77
December 7, 2006, 01:21 PM
Such a stupid thread mate , noone ever seen any fast bowler standing on the slips :)........

We need him for a long throw from the outfield .............& Nafees would be standing on the slips for sure as usual............
what do u mean by your comment being such a stupid thread?
for you information he was standing in the slip it wasn't made up or something.

akabir77
December 7, 2006, 01:21 PM
guys who stood at slip because he had a sore shoulder and it was decided not to risk it by having him take deep throws
oh That makes sense. Hopefully they won't make him stand all the time.

Rihaad The Man
December 7, 2006, 01:43 PM
oh That makes sense. Hopefully they won't make him stand all the time.

He's a bit injured and he's standing for a while .

It's nice to see you got it :) ... obviously it makes sense........

Protic
December 7, 2006, 01:57 PM
It wasnt permanent ofcourse.. Bangladesh has better slip catcher than Mash..
Bashar is one.. well in the fielding..slip is the only position i like Bashar's work..inspite of missing many at the begining..He's good now..in the slips..well ONLY in the slips.

akabir77
December 7, 2006, 02:11 PM
He's a bit injured and he's standing for a while .

It's nice to see you got it :) ... obviously it makes sense........
yeah but not from your response. looks like you want to avoid that...What would we do if we didn't had such smart guys in this forum:hairpull:

RazabQ
December 7, 2006, 02:50 PM
FYI - fast bowler's standing in slip is nothing new. Flintoff does it, as did Botham.

Beamer
December 7, 2006, 04:00 PM
FYI - fast bowler's standing in slip is nothing new. Flintoff does it, as did Botham.

True. Joel Garner was one of the best close in gully fielder ever. Nothing could escape his reach. Like you said, Mash was probaly in there because of his shoulder injury. Makes sense.

Rihaad The Man
December 7, 2006, 04:25 PM

you are right but not many . Few captains of the team does it , like Ponting , Flemming , Flintoff :)........

RazabQ
December 7, 2006, 04:31 PM
Flintoff stood at slips even before becoming captain. Same with Botham or Kapil Dev. Garner was never a skipper. I think it's just a function of catching ability. Also, if your side is really lacking in strong-armed fielders, than you could make a case for the fast bowler not being the slips - but I'd take wicket taking catches over run saving throws.

Captains prefer to be in slip or cover or midwicket regions - so that they can chat with keeper, watch the batters up close etc.

James90
December 8, 2006, 09:27 PM
To be honest there's no real reason why fast bowlers shouldn't be in slips. Broken fingers is the biggest risk I suppose but that would just as much effect on a batsmen and even more for a spin bowler (Warne). Gives them a good rest, it's pretty much standard protocol that if a guy's injured you put him at slip and if it's really bad bring in a third man to sweep.

Fast bowlers are generally a lot taller and as a result aren't as agile and able to get up and down.