PDA

View Full Version : Pick your Emerging BD-Player of the Year'06

Ahmed_B
December 8, 2006, 12:27 AM
We are almost at the end of our World Cup preparation matches in this year. These matches will finish with the 2 ODIs against the Scots. Over the year 2006… we have seen the introduction of a number of young and new debutants in the team who have been playing in the Away series to Zimbabwe/Kenya, the Champ trophy matches and now in the home series vs ZIM & Scot.

Performance of these newly introduced players will be judged from these matches and will be decided whether they will be included in the World Cup Squad or not. Including them in these Series vs. Zim/Ken/Scots did not need very critical analysis… because BD can take some risks in these matches.

But when it comes to WC team… bit more extra-thinking is necessary.

So lets pick our Emerging young player of the year from the ones who were introduced newly. Interestingly everyone of them, Saqib, Farhad, Mehrab & Mushfiq are allrounders and so there are atleast 2 ways to judge them(batting/bowling/wk) in terms of performance. IMO.... Saqib Al Hasan has been the most successful and impressive also.

karimjay.
December 8, 2006, 12:29 AM
Saqib by quite a margin in my opinion.

Nasif
December 8, 2006, 12:54 AM
Where is Shahadat?

Ahmed_B
December 8, 2006, 01:34 AM
Nasif bhai... I count Shahadat to be 'Already Emerged' player of the year. :)

He has fairly established his position in the team and probably can be compared to Rassel only in terms of performance. Shahadat is already a good part of our Test team and will surely be playing lots of ODIs for BD as well.

This poll includes the players who are candidates for the WC team waiting in line. IMO... the best 2 (3 is quite tough) of these 4 will be in our WC team...whereas Shahadat might very well be already in the team since we will be playing in the Carribean.

Protic
December 8, 2006, 01:38 AM
Sakibul Hasan..
Farhad Reza secondly..he deserved some more chances.

Ahmed_B
December 9, 2006, 02:55 AM
Oh! Mushfiq got no vote yet!
I thought he had a huge fanbase in here. :)

However... there is a good chance that Mushfiq might get a match or two in WC if Pilot retains his poor form with the bat.

mhferdaus
December 9, 2006, 03:17 AM
I voted for mehrab cuz he is the newest though sakib's performance is the best :D, but I liked Farhad's strokeplay the most, his average would be better if not for envious khaled mashud ha ha :D, uncle pilot was one of my favs but now what has come to him ...

Ahmed_B
December 9, 2006, 05:19 AM
Very well played Mushfiq under pressure! :up:

shujan
December 9, 2006, 05:53 AM
Very well played Mushfiq under pressure! :up:

Only Mushfiq can hold it in place like that. He has done it in under 19 world cup. He is showing that he can do it with big boys as well. This boy has a cool head. Finishing touch is a 4 to win. Finish it in style. This boy got game.

thebest
December 9, 2006, 06:06 AM
Oh! Mushfiq got no vote yet!
I thought he had a huge fanbase in here. :)

However... there is a good chance that Mushfiq might get a match or two in WC if Pilot retains his poor form with the bat.
I am one of his fan. He played well under pressure today, His glove work is also good. Actually I like his chillachilli behind the wicket. But I am refraining from voting till I saw nxt 2 matches. Hoping that he would play againest the scot. for the moment my vote goes to Sakib though Mehrab is close. I like their attitude - calm at the crease.
Regarding Farhad, I know he has lot of fanbase, but he did not impress me. He is a better batsman than Taposh but much worse bowler. His bowling is same standard even worse than Aftab. I wonder why management stop bowling Aftab. If I remember correctly Aftab has a fifer againest the kiwis.

mhferdaus
December 10, 2006, 10:11 AM
Only Mushfiq can hold it in place like that. He has done it in under 19 world cup. He is showing that he can do it with big boys as well. This boy has a cool head. Finishing touch is a 4 to win. Finish it in style. This boy got game.

This goes to show again, winner takes all and performance is everything, just a few days back people were saying how bad a batsman he is and how worse he is than pilot ... well all I wanted was Pilot to either rejuvinate or retire either by Mushfiq or other W/K, really missing the old Pilot ...

Hatebreed
December 10, 2006, 10:26 AM
Sakib is our emerging player of the year, simply due to the fact he had more chances to prove his worth, which he did reasonably well. Mehrab is new and I will wait longer to make a judgement about him.

Mushfiq to the contrary has proved his potential as a great wicket-keeper. He's very energetic and youthful, but it's still too early to to judge him as a batsman. I'm confident he will do much better than Pilot.

Omio
December 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
Sakib....

Sovik
December 10, 2006, 08:00 PM
sakib. mushfiq and mehrab are good but they didn't enough chance to prove their worth. and after series against scotland, we may not have any matches before world cup to see them playing

billah
December 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
Wish there were "All of the above" and "None of the above" options.

Kabir
December 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
Wish there were "All of the above" and "None of the above" options.

Haha. I guess...that would've made me happy too.

But if we have to choose 1, then it's Sakib by all means. He has showed his talent with bat, ball, and in fielding. Mushfiq will probably be there later...but now it's all about Sakib.

sadi
December 10, 2006, 10:06 PM
For now its Sakib no doubt but Mehrab and Mushfiq are coming up... Forhad Reza's batting is quite impressive but the only way he can get a chance in the side is as an allrounder which doesn't look too good for him yet.

Mahir
December 11, 2006, 12:56 AM
Sakib was the only reasonnable choice. He has played his role quite effectively.

Farhad Reza hasnt had too many situations to prove a thing or two, while Mehrab's debut, which albeit impressed me atleast, came very late in the year. And Rahim only had one innings to bat, but his glovework has definite improved.

Sumon77
December 11, 2006, 04:03 AM
for the time being definitely Sakib. most probably he already proved his worth in the team

Fazal
December 11, 2006, 03:46 PM
They are all Emerging Younger Member of BD team in 2006. To me, the key word is "impressed" here. The player who really impressed and surprised me most was Farhad Reza as he just came from no where.

However I understand that, to survive, he needs to improve his bowling. We all know that, right now, his bowling is below par. But I think his batting skill is under appriciated by the fans here. Overall he has a very good chance to become a good batting ODI alrounder in future.

The rest of the names are well known as young talent and our expectation from them are high and expected.. So no surprise there.

pagol-chagol
December 11, 2006, 04:05 PM
Mehrab Jr. seems to have filled up a long time vacant position, the 2nd opener. I think he is a much better bowler and I like to think that he is our 2nd genuine all rounder. Sakib filled up our first genuine all rounder position. Mushfiq fille up our batting, chemistry creating wicketkeeper position. All 3 were very very important. I hope all of them are long term solutions. Farhad has yet to make the same kind of splash despite being among the leaders in the league in both runs & wickets for the last few years. He is no bowler, I am sure about that. He has to make the team as a genuine batsman. Only time will tell if he has the brain. All in all, emergence of a promising group that can take us to the next level. Don't forget, Shahriar and Shahadat have blossomed as well.

Murad
December 11, 2006, 09:29 PM
its gonnna be sakibul hasan..

Tokyobreeze
December 11, 2006, 09:45 PM
Surely Sakib considering performance and contribution for the team.

But, same time, other players like Mehrab Jr or Rahim didn't get much opportunity really.If all of the options had same number of matches, it would be easier to compare.

I would conclude that, they all are emerging players of our team and all of them have bright prospect ahead.But, for now, if I have to select one, it is - Sakib.

shovon13
December 11, 2006, 10:37 PM
sakib is winning this poll because he played the most matches among the 4 mentioned, and was helped by the lack of quality opponents. i dont mean to take anything away from sakib, but i believe mehrab jr. is the one who's here to stay in this team. farhad reza may also turn out to be a better player than sakib, given enough chances to grow.

mushfiqur rahim is our future wicket keeper. he impressed in the very few chances he got to play.

at the end of the day, all 4 of these young guys are yet to be tested against tougher teams. but we have reasons to hope.