PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh- 3rd best ODi team in 2006??

fan_frm_the_uk
December 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
ALL ODIs
Team ODIs Won Lost Tied NR Win %
Australia 29 20 8 0 1 71.42
New Zealand 12 8 4 0 0 66.66
Bangladesh 27 17 10 0 0 62.96
South Africa 24 15 9 0 0 62.50
West Indies 2 18 13 0 1 58.06
Sri Lanka 34 18 14 0 2 56.25
Ireland 3 1 1 0 1 50.00
Pakistan 22 10 10 0 2 50.00
India 30 13 15 0 2 46.42
Kenya 16 7 9 0 0 43.75
Netherlands 8 3 4 0 1 42.85
Bermuda 12 4 8 0 0 33.33
Zimbabwe 29 8 20 0 1 28.57
England 20 5 14 0 1 26.31
Scotland 4 1 3 0 0 25.00
Canada 10 2 8 0 0 20.00

layperson
December 15, 2006, 11:34 AM
Another example of how statistics can be misleading !!!

zakirc
December 15, 2006, 11:48 AM
England below Bermuda, Netherlands & Ireland ??

Talk about misleading statistics!!!

fan_frm_the_uk
December 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
England played 20 ODIs and won only 5. NO1 to be blamed but their performance. How come u guys talk about misleading stats??? Its not only BD, even South africa played against Zim, they took that opportunity. I am not saying Bangladesh has done very great in terms of real class, but havnt we done well than we expected, whoever the opponent was, such performance does deserve some credit, at least wen see Eng winning only 5 out of 20

capslock
December 15, 2006, 12:16 PM
It's disingenous for the top test teams to point out the fact that a lot of our matches came against Kenya and Zimbabwe when they aren't tripping over themselves to play us; we have to get the matches from somewhere. Also, these matches are necessary since there seems to be the belief our there in the test world that Kenya and Zimbabwe at least the equal of Bangladesh in ability.

cricket_dorshok
December 15, 2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah, its nice to see us as one of the top success team. the big mouth cricket world should know that we are no more with the same level of KEN or ZIM. May be we are not close to the top level but definitely far ahead of ZIM and KEN.

AsifTheManRahman
December 15, 2006, 03:43 PM
also, if we win the next odi against scotland, we will have completed three whitewashes in the current year. surely the rest of the world can't let us get away with more records like this? shouldn't they consider playing us more, then, so that we don't make them look mediocre?

Sovik
December 15, 2006, 04:43 PM
only because we played most of the matches against kenya and zimbabwe

Farhad
December 15, 2006, 11:14 PM
also, if we win the next odi against scotland, we will have completed three whitewashes in the current year. surely the rest of the world can't let us get away with more records like this? shouldn't they consider playing us more, then, so that we don't make them look mediocre?

Nicely thought out.....:bravo:

Rihaad The Man
December 16, 2006, 05:00 AM
It's very funny to see us at number 3 position :) .

Miraz
December 16, 2006, 06:58 AM
I think the most important part of the statistics is that we are winning matches.

We showed consistency in winning matches regardless of the strength of opposition which was lacking in early years.

We lost to Namibia, Scotland, Canada, Kenya, Nederlands, Denmark, UAE in early years. And these are not test playing nations. We were way behind Zimbabwe in both ODI and test.

Now at least we showed our superiority among these teams. That's one definite step forward.

In recent times we defeated Aussies, SL, India and now its the time to build up the momentum and win regularly against quality oppositions.

This is a definite indication of Bangladesh's progress.

Omio
December 16, 2006, 07:29 AM
statistics never say truth...

Sam
December 16, 2006, 07:49 AM
They did not say it earlier also......:-D

SMHasan
December 16, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think the most important part of the statistics is that we are winning matches.

We showed consistency in winning matches regardless of the strength of opposition which was lacking in early years.

Well said. Only thing I am impressed with this - we know how to win. the only thing we achieved playing against the minnows.

zakirc
December 16, 2006, 11:43 AM

We lost to Namibia, Scotland, Canada, Kenya, Nederlands, Denmark, UAE in early years. And these are not test playing nations. We were way behind Zimbabwe in both ODI and test.

Now at least we showed our superiority among these teams. That's one definite step forward.

In recent times we defeated Aussies, SL, India and now its the time to build up the momentum and win regularly against quality oppositions.

Well Said Miraz Bhai. I would like to add something more ...

One thing for sure, in the year 2006 Bangladesh Cricket Team has earned the respect of being far better than Zim & Ken. Just one year ago many of us were not confident about series victories against either of these two teams. Today we boldly demand whitewash from our team. Hopefully in 2007 we can get another one or two teams under our belt (Which ones would you predict?).

Its all about taking one step at a time. However, I only pray that we do not take a few steps backwards like we did after winning the ICC in 1997. I hope to see Bangladesh somewhere in the top 7 teams by the end of 2007.:flag:

fan_frm_the_uk
December 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
u r right. that means aussies sudnt b on top of the list

Kabir
December 16, 2006, 12:07 PM

Its all about taking one step at a time. However, I only pray that we do not take a few steps backwards like we did after winning the ICC in 1997. I hope to see Bangladesh somewhere in the top 7 teams by the end of 2007.:flag:

Just wanted to lay out the comments from the two of you, coz they follow each other quite nicely. I think what most BD fans want the team to do is leapfrog through the development stage...which is really doesn't make sense. We get to the tenth grade by passing the 9 other classes...and in each class, we compete with students of our own level, not higher or lower.

Yes, stats is misleading...and that's why, if you have to understand stats properly, use your brain. The point is not about BD being the 3rd top ODI team, but about BD showing its superiority at its own level, proving that it needs to jump to the next stage...so who's next?

fan_frm_the_uk
December 16, 2006, 12:47 PM
kabir,
thanx for ur comment, sometimes we get too exited when BD does well, on the other hand some ppl come up indicating weaker opposition. Its true Zim and Ken is not that strong, but just a few months back, we lost series to the Zim(if Mash was responsible for one match, who was for the other two). When Bret lee gets 5wkts against us no one mentions how weak we are comparing to Aussies. Every run they score or every wkt they get against us they add that on their career.

can i request all members not to be over exited with joy, and specially those who always hav issues not to give BD any credit. please, if we can criticize we sud give the team credit when due. as kabir said we r not gona be the 3rd best yet, but sudnt we target to head for another promotion?

Farhad
December 16, 2006, 12:49 PM
BD is definately not the 3rd best team in the world. But, these stats are pretty important. It shows that our success rate is right up there when playing with minnows, which I think should shut up those "2 tier system" supporters. All we should worry about now are playing with the top 8. Cuz no matter what, experience=improvement (even if its 0.0001 steps at a time.)

Farhad
December 16, 2006, 12:53 PM
can i request all members not to be over exited with joy, and specially those who always hav issues not to give BD any credit. please, if we can criticize we sud give the team credit when due. as kabir said we r not gona be the 3rd best yet, but sudnt we target to head for another promotion?

My thoughts exactly....

Omio
December 16, 2006, 12:57 PM
u r right. that means aussies sudnt b on top of the list
Its also doenst mean England r below Bermoda..
I dont even know they playing International cricket..

Rabz
December 16, 2006, 07:49 PM
Who cares about the rest...we ended up as the third best performing team in the year 2006...and that what is counts...

If Aus has played more against the likes of England or India (which is of thier close ranked teams), so did Bangladesh...Zim and kenya are the closest ranked team for us and now whitewashing them, we proved we are the top of the bottoms.

Now its time to move up and start anihillating the 8th..7th or 6th ranked teams out there...

Hey world, be aware, BD is coming....

Spitfire_x86
December 17, 2006, 07:02 AM
Now its time to move up and start anihillating the 8th..7th or 6th ranked teams out there...

Hey world, be aware, BD is coming....
Keep dreaming :)

shamster
December 17, 2006, 08:47 AM
We do need to play England !!! at hom preferably and whoop them :)

Kabir
December 17, 2006, 02:36 PM
When Bret lee gets 5wkts against us no one mentions how weak we are comparing to Aussies. Every run they score or every wkt they get against us they add that on their career.

Good point. Unfortuntely, most fans see the team and judge it alone...not seeing the bigger picture. It's good to see that a few of us share the same view.

AsifTheManRahman
December 17, 2006, 02:41 PM
i think if we have one more series with the minnows (negative infinity to zimbabwe), i'll puke.

oh wait, we ARE playing canada and bermuda next year. so i'll puke at least once in 2007.