PDA

View Full Version : A Scottish Perspective!

Ahmed_B
December 15, 2006, 01:36 PM
Pretty interesting view with enough flairs of .. u know what! :)
CricketEurope website actually described it as "Jon Coate's report on how the Scotland team has attracted high media interest in cricket-mad Bangladesh."

"Scots bask in limelight", 14th December,2006
.....There are an estimated 147 million people in Bangladesh, just as many as there are in Russia, ranking it high among the most crowded places on Earth. The slums in the capital Dhaka alone house 3.4 million, and recent reports have revealed appalling and escalating poverty. One of the tourists' first sights en route from airport to hotel was a horde of children mounting a rubbish tip in search of food.

It's more than enough to put sport in perspective, and the Scots -- whose trip was part-financed by Cairn Energy, which has extensive interests in Bangladesh -- have been conscious of the need to see life outside the 30,000-seat concrete bowls on their seven-day visit. Wright, Fraser Watts and Omer Hussain on Tuesday visited an eye hospital in Dhaka where Specsavers International has introduced radical new techniques to combat one of the country's worst health deficiencies.

Other than that, Wright has been largely consumed by the three Ts: training, travelling and talking. The latter has been a tiresome duty for he and Gavin Hamilton, as a rapacious cricket media seeks to fill daily bulletins with updates on the only show in town. Paul Hoffmann has reported waking each morning to the sight of Hamilton's face on national television.

Crowds of 15,000 in Chittagong and 30,000 in Mirpur on Sunday have been anticipated. Scotland's home attendances tend to slide along a scale 10 times smaller, and consisting of a far less excitable breed.

After consecutive three-hour training sessions in Dhaka and Chittagong, where the party flew yesterday in a twin-engine Fokker, the players will this morning get their first taste of outdoor cricket in three months, in a practice match against the Bangladesh Cricket Academy.....

....After inspecting the pitch at Chittagong's Divisional Stadium, touring delegate Roddy Smith reported: "It basically looks like hard-baked mud with a sort of shine on it. So the expectation is that it will be pretty slow and low." Case closed, then: the fast bowlers' day will come, perhaps in January in Kenya.

Bangladesh's daunting home record intensifies Scotland's challenge. However, after Zimbabwe were put out of their misery last Saturday at the end of a 5-0 pasting, there is a distinct whiff of complacency about the visit of yet more lowly-ranked international minnows.

The Scots, of course, are not unaccustomed to creeping up behind fancied opponents and causing them a scare. Sixty-odd times in the past four years the Scottish Saltires have gone up against English counties, confronting the same type of odds. Responding to the aloofness of Bangladesh 's chief selector, who described the Scottish adventure as "not a difficult tour", Smith sounded delighted.

"That's fine, if he thinks we are going to give them an easy game," said Cricket Scotland's chief executive. "The proof will be in the pudding."

After Zimbabwe, it is very much a case of "next, please" as fans of the Tigers anticipate another application of superiority over erstwhile peers. But the research has been done. Drinnen, Wright and Watson gained further insight into the imminent challenge when wandering around Dubai airport in the small hours of Sunday night, when they bumped into Zimbabwe coach Kevin Curran.

Curran, having just fled the scene of the slaughter, was well placed to identify the many strengths and fewer weaknesses of opponents who have an acute grasp of what is needed to win games on their home patch. A stern challenge for Scotland this weekend is to rid their minds of Bangladesh, its miseries and its joys, and create a Victory Day of their own.
CricketEurope (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000034/003498.shtml)

mhferdaus
December 15, 2006, 01:57 PM
What they are still using Fokker planes? Are not they like 100 years old.(it is designed by a dutchman ( flying dutchman :D ) ? )

Farhad
December 15, 2006, 03:15 PM
"The proof will be in the pudding"

LOL....After watching the first match, I dont think the Scots would want to eat that pudding. I guess the proof really was in the "pudding" (whatever that means)

AsifTheManRahman
December 15, 2006, 03:39 PM
haha...hillarious...their reporters are just as crap as ours..

Fazal
December 15, 2006, 03:44 PM
After the game, here is their short report in the same website: Scots bow in submission (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/SCOTLAND/home.shtml).

Good headline.:-D

http://www.parenfaire.com/happenings/2006/Fling2006/scottishdance/Celticdancers23%20copy.jpg

TheWatcher
December 15, 2006, 03:46 PM
Scots actually have a good excuse to give now- they are deeply touched and disturbed by the poverty in Bangladesh, and that their emotions affected their performences.

akabir77
December 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
how come there is no interview of the captain and coach anymore on any news paper. I wanted to hear what they think off now?

AsifTheManRahman
December 15, 2006, 03:57 PM
yeah me too. i wanted to see what excuse they come up with. maybe they've just shut their mouths and the doors to their hotel rooms and are not talking to the media anymore.

akabir77
December 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
I heard hamilton is on the phone with jeff boycott's mom

uss01
December 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
By the way, the article says the poverty is escalating, but according to Dr. Younus, he said poverty was being reduced in BD at the rate of about 2% per year (at a press conference last month in the US). Hmmm, maybe it's being reduced elsewhere but in Dhaka, it's being increasing :(

Scots actually have a good excuse to give now- they are deeply touched and disturbed by the poverty in Bangladesh, and that their emotions affected their performences.

al Furqaan
December 15, 2006, 05:50 PM
the scots can think of this as an honerable defeat...

btw, i never thought the scotties were being overly arrogant. were they naively optimistic about taking us down? yes, but they weren't fulsome about it either...

ialbd
December 15, 2006, 06:13 PM

haha... i think thats the excuse they have in mind...

they felt like superstars and we are just happy to make them feel that (because thats the BD hospitality) and poverty dekhe math ghuraile kisu korar nai, khelay bamboo khailei thik hoye jabe...

baisab
December 15, 2006, 06:39 PM

Hahaha, well i was saving this one for England for the near future, but it works fine here too.

CTazim
December 15, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hahaha, well i was saving this one for England for the near future, but it works fine here too.

Actually Paul Hoeffma's Proctologist called. He was able to locate Paul's head, especially after the Bangladesh game. :)

zia
December 16, 2006, 12:51 AM
What they are still using Fokker planes? Are not they like 100 years old.(it is designed by a dutchman ( flying dutchman :D ) ? )

Well, just for your info check this out. See how many renowned airlines have Fokker in their fleet. Tell the Scotts even British Airways flys Fokker till today!

http://www.fokker-aircraft.info/f100pics.htm

:flag:

kalpurush
December 16, 2006, 12:54 AM
Well....mehomander ador-jotno-te jeno kuno khut na thakey...seidikeo amader kheyal rakhrey hobe...emnitei ekjoner matha fatano hoye giyeche!!:(

zia
December 16, 2006, 01:01 AM
By the way, the article says the poverty is escalating, but according to Dr. Younus, he said poverty was being reduced in BD at the rate of about 2% per year (at a press conference last month in the US). Hmmm, maybe it's being reduced elsewhere but in Dhaka, it's being increasing :(

Dr. Younus is right. Dr. Yonus's activities are in the village not in Dhaka. Even the World Bank data proves that. In all the articles about cricket tour they are speaking of our poverty (sleeping without mattress on street etc.). It hurt their ego to be spanked by us... so this is their mean way of getting even with us. But fools don't understand that they are humaliating themselve this way!!

zia
December 16, 2006, 01:13 AM
yeah me too. i wanted to see what excuse they come up with. maybe they've just shut their mouths and the doors to their hotel rooms and are not talking to the media anymore.

The Scotsman wrote,
"Nonetheless, captain Craig Wright insisted from Chittagong last night that no aspect of the opening gambit had altered his opinion Scotland could humble Bangladesh on their own patch. He said alien conditions and rustiness had only been minor factors in a largely self-inflicted demise."

Ekhon shudhu skirt khule lungi porano baki!

Alien
December 16, 2006, 01:22 AM

What makes you think a whole team will fit in a two seater fokker?

mhferdaus
December 16, 2006, 01:29 AM
What makes you think a whole team will fit in a two seater fokker?

I know that just kidding, but it would be fun to see if they brought their team with a squadron of dozens of Fokker Figters :D, but I guess the english would then use their anti-air battery on the scots thinking ghosts of Manfred and Werner Voss flying them and the scots would not even make it to BD :D.

ps : Scotland too has a lot of social problem and poverty though not as much, so they are not like totally unfamiliar with this.

EDIT : I am thinking this is their positive attitude not arrogance that they think they can beat BD, but who knows arrogance might still be present

layperson
December 16, 2006, 01:30 AM
Some old fashioned people from the UK seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to the subcontinental people !!! I wish the gadhar bachchca Hablu choose to bat first and the batters demolish the scotts. A humiliating margin of defeat after batting first is the order of the day. How arrogant can you be to say that you can still beat BD after getting your *** whipped first by BCCBXI and then by the national team. Morever BD is a test playing country and they are associate members so there is obviously a gulf of difference in quality. Hopeless pricks just trying to feel big by talking big but they will only end up embarassing themselves more.

layperson
December 16, 2006, 01:36 AM
One more thing that pisses me off is when foreigners always think that Bangaldesh equals poverty. More irritating are the bengalis who give a negative impression of their country by showing the foreigners the poor sides of the country !!!!! The rare times I had Canadians thinking like this I just shut them up by saying that Bangaldesh is not all about poverty and show them pictures of the luxuries that some people in BD can afford and those people are rich anywhere on earth. Although they are not a true representation of BD but it shuts them up in awe because the rich in BD are very showy and the palatial houses and fleet of cars always manage to leave them amazed.

capslock
December 16, 2006, 02:33 AM
One more thing that pisses me off is when foreigners always think that Bangaldesh equals poverty. More irritating are the bengalis who give a negative impression of their country by showing the foreigners the poor sides of the country !!!!! The rare times I had Canadians thinking like this I just shut them up by saying that Bangaldesh is not all about poverty and show them pictures of the luxuries that some people in BD can afford and those people are rich anywhere on earth. Although they are not a true representation of BD but it shuts them up in awe because the rich in BD are very showy and the palatial houses and fleet of cars always manage to leave them amazed.

Shahriyar, you seem to have the wrong attitude, the correct way to counter negative impressions is to point out things that we have achieved despite adversity, perhaps the fact that 3 Bengalis have won the Nobel Prize, compared to 1 from Canada. Also the fact that Bangladeshi organizations such as BRAC are providing development support to countries such as Afghanistan and Uganda, and we have many other achievements that are notable because of the adverse circumstances that we have achieved them. Showing foreigners the cars and houses of rich people from Bangladesh who have most likely accumulated their wealth through dubious means is not the right way to change their mindset.

billah
December 16, 2006, 03:28 AM
After the game, here is their short report in the same website: Scots bow in submission (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/SCOTLAND/home.shtml).

Good headline.:-D

http://www.parenfaire.com/happenings/2006/Fling2006/scottishdance/Celticdancers23%20copy.jpg

I digress, sorry, from the geopolitical economic discussion here.....

Ahem... Fazal, so, their girls wear skirts too??

As fond as the scottish men are of plaid, I think we should gift them some of our best lungis. At least, they have something to brag to the girls about back home...
i.e. "my skirt (or kilt, whatever) is better than yours" :)

BanglaCool
December 16, 2006, 05:53 AM
If you call it optimism then you are wrong. If you call it self-belief you are partially right. If you call it arrogance, you are damn right.
The Scotsman wrote,
"Nonetheless, captain Craig Wright insisted from Chittagong last night that no aspect of the opening gambit had altered his opinion Scotland could humble Bangladesh on their own patch. He said alien conditions and rustiness had only been minor factors in a largely self-inflicted demise."

Ekhon shudhu skirt khule lungi porano baki!

Rihaad The Man
December 16, 2006, 06:12 AM
No more interviews caz they know , they are gonna get baked by us , ofcourse we are the test nation . It's not easy to play with a test nation & get a victory for the associates :) .

In next match , we will just boil them in the hot water & they would be overcooked . So ,it won't tasty afterwards :) .

Miraz
December 16, 2006, 06:37 AM
I don't see anything wrong in Scottish attitude. They might be overenthusiastic in expressing their vision as this is their first ever overseas tour to any test playing country.

I can easily recall those early days when we went to different countries and talked about 'honorable defeats' (in mid 90's and early 2000). I think their attitude is somehow better than ours of that time.

Optimism bound to give you some positives from a tour.

Sam
December 16, 2006, 08:04 AM
I don't see anything wrong in Scottish attitude. They might be overenthusiastic in expressing their vision as this is their first ever overseas tour to any test playing country.

I can easily recall those early days when we went to different countries and talked about 'honorable defeats' (in mid 90's and early 2000). I think their attitude is somehow better than ours of that time.

They are just following the way England do in Australia and vice versa - just playing a mind game.

roi
December 16, 2006, 09:29 AM
Ryan Watson is in his hotel bed suffering possibly the worst headache in the country. He took a heavy hit today, probably the worst I have ever seen, as Scotland went down by six wickets.
He tried to hook Mashrafe Mortaza, Bangladesh's opening bowler, but the delivery skidded on to him. The ball pierced his helmet grill, and after a sickening thud, he collapsed in a heap.
He was taken to hospital for X-rays, which revealed a fracture just above the right eye. The medics wanted him to stay overnight, but Ryan wasn't keen and returned to join the team after the game.
Ryan will have another X-ray soon and we hope he'll be fit for our fixture against the UAE on January 11.
His injury dominated events on the field after a disappointing performance in our first overseas one-day international. The pitches are hard and devoid of any grass and the Bangladesh attack know where to bowl.
Our batsmen looked at ease and Fraser Watts, Dougie Brown, Gavin Hamilton and Colin Smith made encouraging starts, but were dismissed trying to play positive shots.
We fly to Dhaka for an afternoon training session before the televised and sold-out final game tomorrow.
source:http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/76826.html

roi
December 16, 2006, 09:38 AM
Bangladesh exploit Scots' batting collapse

JONATHAN COATES
SCOTLAND were, predictably, second-best in yesterday's one-day international against Bangladesh and their six-wicket margin of defeat took on a flattering appearance in the final reckoning.
Tackling their first overseas assignment among the elite, the Scots had their familiar weaknesses exposed by professional opponents who have now recorded 13 successive home victories over lower-ranked opponents. It will take a huge effort in tomorrow's second and final match at Mirpur for the Scots to alter the status quo.

Nonetheless, captain Craig Wright insisted from Chittagong last night that no aspect of the opening gambit had altered his opinion Scotland could humble Bangladesh on their own patch. He said alien conditions and rustiness had only been minor factors in a largely self-inflicted demise.
Having won the toss, Wright opted to bat but familiar catastrophes beset the top-order and it was left to the bottom five to haul the visitors into three figures. Colin Smith top-scored with 30 before a fine salvo from No10 Ross Lyons kept embarrassment at bay.
Scotland were all out for a feeble 153 in the 46th over, and while it could have been much worse - when Wright was run out for nought, they were 74 for seven - it was never going to be enough to obstruct batsmen of decent international stock.
Dougie Brown struck early with the new ball but Bangladesh No.3 Aftab Ahmed took the game away with a rampant 66, and a wicket on debut for Glenn Rogers, plus two for spin partner Lyons, were mere consolations as the hosts won with 20 overs to spare. "Clearly we didn't get anywhere near enough runs on one of the flattest wickets we will ever play on," said Wright. "It was particularly disappointing that some of the batters looked in really good touch and most got themselves out.
"Gavin Hamilton was hitting the ball as well as I have seen him for a long time. He had just smashed an impressive boundary but he went for another one and it went up in the air.
"We have a habit of getting into decent positions and then losing two or three wickets all at once. We did well in the end to get to 150, but we need more of the top batsmen to take more responsibility. I feel that if we play somewhere near our best we can certainly beat them."
Navdeep Poonia, a destructive presence in Thursday's warm-up match, succumbed first, the Warwickshire tyro suffering a second-ball duck. Worse was to come as Ryan Watson edged a ball into his face and destroyed his stumps to depart hit-wicket and hospital-bound. Hamilton struck five boundaries to reach 29 in a partnership worth 45 with Fraser Watts, but each succumbed to an outfield catch, and the Tigers immediately claimed another scalp: the usually reliable Neil McCallum, lbw for a duck.
In this spin-bowling paradise, Scotland were 58 for five before a ball had been tweaked. Dougie Brown duly became the first victim of the slow arts and when Wright, seeking a single, was sent back by Smith, humiliation loomed.
However, Glenn Rogers and Smith set up camp for a face-saving stand of 39, and Lyons made 28 off 34 balls before giving left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak his second wicket.
The home batsmen eyed up a measly target of 154 but began watchfully - at least until Brown had Mehrab Hossain jnr caught behind and Ahmed joined Shahriar Nafees at the crease.
Paul Hoffmann had gone for just five runs in four overs but Ahmed, 21, took the shine off the ball, racing to 31 by the 12th over and forcing the Scots to change tack. Lyons could probably hear the sound of a burst bubble when his first over came at the cost of 20 runs. Ahmed roared on to 66 off just 50 balls before the young spinner had him caught in the deep.
Analysis for Scotland must centre on why, after four ODIs in six months, their highest score remains the 203 made against the strongest opponents, Pakistan.

source:http://sport.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1868792006

akabir77
December 16, 2006, 10:53 AM

That's because they r white and they think they r better then all brown even if they don't know what they r getting into...They need to show respect to a test playing country. We need to beat the hell out of them so that next time they think twice what they r talking about...

akabir77
December 16, 2006, 10:55 AM

Nonetheless, captain Craig Wright insisted from Chittagong last night that no aspect of the opening gambit had altered his opinion Scotland could humble Bangladesh on their own patch. He said alien conditions and rustiness had only been minor factors in a largely self-inflicted demise.

r u kidding me?:saint:

akabir77
December 16, 2006, 10:57 AM
I wish bd plays on the pitch that they played against ZImbo's

Tokyobreeze
December 16, 2006, 12:00 PM

Worse was to come as Ryan Watson edged a ball into his face and destroyed his stumps to depart hit-wicket and hospital-bound.

Its written in a way that bowler didn't have any credit for doing that.Just batsman somehow thought to edge the ball, which evantually (!aren't the edged balls supposed to go to wicket keeper or fielders!How come it's coming back to batsman!!) came back and hit him.

The whole article has a tone like - Scotts can beat BD on any day, just they didn't want to do that on 1st ODI.

Damn..These fat-mouths will never learn.We gotta kill them in Mirpur tomorrow.They have already one batsman sent to hospital.I hope this time Mash and Shahadat hit those fat-mouths directly in mouth other than helmets and their whole 32-teeth fall down on wicket (and we have bunch of hit-wicket outs):mad:!

Farhad
December 16, 2006, 12:35 PM

JONATHAN COATES
"We have a habit of getting into decent positions and then losing two or three wickets all at once. We did well in the end to get to 150, but we need more of the top batsmen to take more responsibility. I feel that if we play somewhere near our best we can certainly beat them."

Seems like they have the same problem we did, and maybe still do- top order failure. I just checked the scorecards of their previous matches...And, hes right in a way, their top order lets them down frequently. Its also nice to see another team try to explain every single wicket and why they got out:-D . I remember the old days where, after the BD matches, I would say stuff like "Ash got out for a duck because he was trying to hit sixes too often". Theyve got to realize something, If they do those sort of things now, it means that the batsmen dont know what their doing . If you try to explain every wicket like that, you could even make the worst team in the world sound good. And, its interesting how they dont bring up the practice match, i guess it would be much harder to come off looking good after that gets out.:-D

zakirc
December 16, 2006, 01:14 PM
I have no problem with the Scottish comments except for the probable racial side of it. What concerns me more is the opening paragraph ...

" .. One of the tourists' first sights en route from airport to hotel was a horde of children mounting a rubbish tip in search of food. .. "

This makes me wonder, which hotel did the reporter stay in. I travel regularly from Airport to Shonargaon / Sheraton area and since the beautification of Dhaka for the last SARC Summit, there is no Rubbish visible from the VIP Road. The reporter must have stayed in a cheap hotel to see such a scene.

Also, Having lived in Bangladesh for the last 24 years, I do not recall seeing anything like children seeking food from rubbish anywhere. One big reason for this may be the fact that there is no food in our rubbish, we simply are not rich enough to throw away our food. Any leftovers are taken by the Servants, but we do not throw away food. If kids are scavenging the rubbish-pile that is in search for sell-able items such as polythene, plastic etc. items that are recycled.

I sincerely hope reporters are more factual in their writings because the opening paragraph of the story gives a very wrong impression about Dhaka as well as Bangladesh as a whole.

TheWatcher
December 16, 2006, 01:21 PM
I don't think Jonathan Coates is even in Bangladesh, he is just makig up stories from whatever Wright and Hoffmann telling him.

Bancan
December 16, 2006, 01:34 PM
Shahriyar, you seem to have the wrong attitude, the correct way to counter negative impressions is to point out things that we have achieved despite adversity, perhaps the fact that 3 Bengalis have won the Nobel Prize, compared to 1 from Canada.

there are a lot of canadians who won nobel prize. not 1. for example Dr. Gerhard Herzberg and Dr. Michael Smith and Fredrick Banting

fan_frm_the_uk
December 16, 2006, 01:57 PM
Nice to hear the Scotts captain saying it was the flattest pitch they have ever played, more nice to see, on that pitch their best batsman was blooded and colasped onto the stumps, Mr captain if your batsmen cant even survive on the flattest pitch, wat will they do on faster tracks.. does a poor country like bangladesh have enaf facilities to accomodate 11 players hit by bouncers...... will mr captain then realize- it was the fastest track they will ever play??

Zunaid
December 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
How about the BD perspective? See the front page match summary. Too harsh?

thasan
December 16, 2006, 04:54 PM
khik khik khik...:-D

thasan
December 16, 2006, 05:04 PM
I have no problem with the Scottish comments except for the probable racial side of it. What concerns me more is the opening paragraph ...

" .. One of the tourists' first sights en route from airport to hotel was a horde of children mounting a rubbish tip in search of food. .. "

This makes me wonder, which hotel did the reporter stay in. I travel regularly from Airport to Shonargaon / Sheraton area and since the beautification of Dhaka for the last SARC Summit, there is no Rubbish visible from the VIP Road. The reporter must have stayed in a cheap hotel to see such a scene.

with all due respect...i think he was in one of those "abashik" hotels!
yes, the writing style has a touch of arrogance mixed with curiosity. its up to the readers to decide what these lines actually mean...

layperson
December 16, 2006, 05:13 PM
Shahriyar, you seem to have the wrong attitude, the correct way to counter negative impressions is to point out things that we have achieved despite adversity, perhaps the fact that 3 Bengalis have won the Nobel Prize, compared to 1 from Canada. Also the fact that Bangladeshi organizations such as BRAC are providing development support to countries such as Afghanistan and Uganda, and we have many other achievements that are notable because of the adverse circumstances that we have achieved them. Showing foreigners the cars and houses of rich people from Bangladesh who have most likely accumulated their wealth through dubious means is not the right way to change their mindset.

See the problem is some think Bangladesh is extemely poverty stricken and it has nothing to do with our achievements which is why I show them the other side of life in Bangladesh to get rid off their wrong idea. But I have only come across two or three people who thought like this during my entire 3 and half years in canada. If they were thinking that bangalis are a good for nothing bunch then I would have talked about our achievements but it is only the poverty issue that they brought up, which is why that sort of a reply from me.

This is another thing which is sad in Bangalis, whenever they think someone is rich they think his wealth is the result of dubious dealings !!! This is not right. Now there is a steady growth of the middle class in Dhaka. There are some people who are rich by dubious means but most are not. I dont think it is good to generalize.

uss01
December 16, 2006, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure how if someone from another country keeps saying oh BD is a poor we should say stuff about Dr. Younus and Nobel Prize. Because, let's face it, Bd is one of the poorest countries in the world and for whatever reason has a reputation of it. I think it took hold after our economy collapsed after independence and there was a massive famine in the 1970's. If you think about it, BD is a poor country. A poor country where it's people are heavily exploited. At home they are exploited by their own people (i.e. labor class, garments class, servants, etc). Not to mention the human traficking that is common. So, if someone critizes or says bd is poor, there's no point in countering that by saying the accomplishment of others in the country, because that doesn't change the fact that BD is a poor country. It comes off as you are being sensitive about BD's reputation. Ofcourse I am not supporting those people who generalize about BD's poeverty like the Canadians you are talking about. That is very stupid of them and they should be more open minded. Every developed country in the world has gone through stages of poverty and human exploitation and it takes time to get out of it.

AsifTheManRahman
December 16, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure how if someone from another country keeps saying oh BD is a poor we should say stuff about Dr. Younus and Nobel Prize. Because, let's face it, Bd is one of the poorest countries in the world and for whatever reason has a reputation of it. I think it took hold after our economy collapsed after independence and there was a massive famine in the 1970's. If you think about it, BD is a poor country. A poor country where it's people are heavily exploited. At home they are exploited by their own people (i.e. labor class, garments class, servants, etc). Not to mention the human traficking that is common. So, if someone critizes or says bd is poor, there's no point in countering that by saying the accomplishment of others in the country, because that doesn't change the fact that BD is a poor country. It comes off as you are being sensitive about BD's reputation. Ofcourse I am not supporting those people who generalize about BD's poeverty like the Canadians you are talking about. That is very stupid of them and they should be more open minded. Every developed country in the world has gone through stages of poverty and human exploitation and it takes time to get out of it.

well put. very rational.

akabir77
December 16, 2006, 06:43 PM
How about the BD perspective? See the front page match summary. Too harsh?
Please zunaid bhai put the bloody picture in the main page...

Rabz
December 16, 2006, 07:33 PM
i reckon the the media, attention and the walking in the unknown territory of fame and glitz is taking a big toll on the Scots.

They are just more than happy to be in BD and able to play some ODI.
Rest, as said, is mentality of white supremacy and possibly following the act of Aus-Eng of playing the mind game.
But u have to realise those sorta games only work when the teams are of equal level. Not when BD plays Scots.
Hec, Omorjoti Cricket Shongo of suburbian Dhaka can beat them...

Farhad
December 16, 2006, 07:48 PM
The Scots have always been optimistic, a trait I dont think is too bad a one to have. If youd look at the Similar threads section, I think its pretty interesting to note- We have had this exact same discussion before . (Look at Rafiq's thread : Scottish Captain a bit too optimistic). Even more interestingly, in the last discussion, the Scots faired much better last time . Compare : " It is hypocrisy as well as double standards.If we expect respect from those stronger to us, we should give respect to those below us." by coolheels in 2004, to "I hope this time Mash and Shahadat hit those fat-mouths directly in mouth other than helmets and their whole 32-teeth fall down on wicket" in 2006.:-D :p

akabir77
December 16, 2006, 08:08 PM
The Scots have always been optimistic, a trait I dont think is too bad a one to have. If youd look at the Similar threads section, I think its pretty interesting to note- We have had this exact same discussion before . (Look at Rafiq's thread : Scottish Captain a bit too optimistic). Even more interestingly, in the last discussion, the Scots faired much better last time . Compare : " It is hypocrisy as well as double standards.If we expect respect from those stronger to us, we should give respect to those below us." by coolheels in 2004, to "I hope this time Mash and Shahadat hit those fat-mouths directly in mouth other than helmets and their whole 32-teeth fall down on wicket" in 2006.:-D :p

We expected the respect after we got the test status. And no where you will see that our captain went to another country and said that we can beat the host no problem. And mind you its not the first time. Some time ago their player Hamilton said they can beat BD. so we should not forget this and send them some short balls to remind them that we r a test team not some associate team they r talking about

Farhad
December 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
We expected the respect after we got the test status. And no where you will see that our captain went to another country and said that we can beat the host no problem. And mind you its not the first time. Some time ago their player Hamilton said they can beat BD. so we should not forget this and send them some short balls to remind them that we r a test team not some associate team they r talking about

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant...:confused: I simply wanted to point out that in the last conversation we had in 2004, the BC Forum Fans were more understanding about the scots optimism. Im not saying what we are doing now is any worse, i definately agree with you in that respect....

Ejaj
December 16, 2006, 11:55 PM
No Comments.. too impatient of us.:)

zakirc
December 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
How about this guys .... "Bangladesh are the weakest of the Full Member countries, but the ease with which they brushed aside the Scots only underlined that the gulf between the top sides and the Associates remains a wide as ever." ... Cricinfo Bulletin (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bdeshvscot/content/current/story/273090.html)

Ahmed_B
December 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
As it seems.... both Cricket Europe (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/index.shtml) and Cricket Scotland (http://www.cricketscotland.com/) websites stopped updating anything about the tour for some unknown reasons! :)

Farhad
December 17, 2006, 12:18 PM
How about this guys .... "Bangladesh are the weakest of the Full Member countries, but the ease with which they brushed aside the Scots only underlined that the gulf between the top sides and the Associates remains a wide as ever." ... Cricinfo Bulletin (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bdeshvscot/content/current/story/273090.html)

Yeah, all the big cricket news sources seemed to ignore the match completely...They asked their worst writers to look into it im sure....Both the bulletins (in BBC and cricinfo) were below par. None of the sentences flowed together, i dunno, both of the stories just seemed awkward. And then ofcourse theres TigerCricket, and we all know about the english in that:-D
This was the first Cricinfo article i read in quite a while that actually put Bangladesh down.

Flipper
December 17, 2006, 07:30 PM
“Hamilton</ST1:p's life has provided a series of dramatic vignettes”

The above mention is how the interview published in cricinfo last year ended. The interviewer nailed it, perhaps unknowingly, and now going back to the article makes much more sense. Here is another quote:

"I thought, at the time we met them in 1999, that we were a better side and, considering the experience which the Saltires have gained from competing in the NCL, I would put money on us to beat the current Bangladesh line-up any day of the week."

Read more: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/scotland/content/story/210132.html

BanglaCool
December 18, 2006, 05:06 AM
As it seems.... both Cricket Europe (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/CRICKETEUROPE/index.shtml) and Cricket Scotland (http://www.cricketscotland.com/) websites stopped updating anything about the tour for some unknown reasons! :)
Yeah, I have been visiting their websites more than 5 times a day to get their latest updates and views on the past series. But have they stopped being optimistic?
:)

Rabz
December 18, 2006, 06:27 AM
They stopped it cuz they got nothing else to write about..
all the excuses has been used up....

reverse_swing
December 18, 2006, 06:33 AM
They stopped it cuz they got nothing else to write about..
all the excuses has been used up....

Positive spin, but disappointing batting
Paul Hoffmann
18 December 2006 <script language="Javascript">writeDate('12-18-2006')</script> <hr> Well, the promised crowd of 30,000 didn’t turn up for our second ODI against
Bangladesh yesterday. Maybe it was because the game was televised live, and you could
tell the match was going to be over quickly that they didn’t bother to come along. But the
7,000 who did were as noisy as a football crowd of 60,000.

But at one stage in yesterday’s first innings, between the 30th and 45th overs, we thought
we would restrict Bangladesh to under 250, after Majid Haq and Glenn Rogers bowled
beautiful spells of spin, conceding just 50 runs in those 15 overs.

Then - just as Adam Gilchrist did to England - three sixes by Mortaza in Majid’s last over
made a mockery of his figures and took the final total effectively out of our reach.

Earlier, both Dougie Brown and I struggled to control the swing of the new ball in
dampish conditions, and John Blain was unlucky to have a catch dropped in the slips, so I
didn’t think our bowlers did too badly in this second ODI in Bangladesh.

But it was disappointing to get another bad start with the bat, and we were always playing
catch-up. When you lose two wickets in the first over of your reply, it’s always going to
be difficult to come back. After 15 overs, our aim was simply to bat as long as possible, as
it was going to be impossible to win the game from there.

But there were plenty of positives to take from our matches in Bangladesh. Glenn Rogers
batted and bowled well in all games. Majid Haq bowled beautifully, too. Fraser Watts had
a good start in both games, and Neil McCallum performed well yesterday. The rest of us
probably learned what to expect in these low and skiddy conditions, which will be very
similar in the Caribbean.

Bangladesh are a lot further on in their cricket than when we last played them two years
ago. They have two opening bowlers who regularly bang it in at 85mph, which we haven’t
faced since the first half of last season. And their left-arm spinners dart the ball into your
legs, forcing legside shots we haven’t been able to practise since last season.

It was always going to be difficult to come out of a call centre and take on Bangladesh,
who’ve just completed a very good series against Zimbabwe. Their coach Dave Whatmore
works them very hard, and I think they’ll cause a few surprises in the West Indies.

Not that Peter Drinnen doesn’t work us hard. But full-time training and better facilities
back home would make a lot of difference to our preparations.

We’ll be able to gauge how we’ve progressed when we play Bangladesh in one of the
World Cup warm-up games in Barbados. After all the cricket we’ve got coming up in the
next three months, I’d like to think we will be more competitive.

Cricket Scotland >> (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000035/003513.shtml)

TheWatcher
December 18, 2006, 08:20 AM
A more mature piece from Hoffmann, I must say.

Looking forward to the world cup warm up match against Scotland.

Rabz
December 18, 2006, 08:37 AM
Positive spin, but disappointing batting
Paul Hoffmann

18 December 2006<SCRIPT language=Javascript>writeDate('12-18-2006')</SCRIPT> <HR> Their coach Dave Whatmoreworks them very hard, and I think they’ll cause a few surprises in the West Indies.

I guess we are on our way to make a name for ouselves as the Dark Horse.
or rather i should say Brown Horses..

If that happens, that might be surprise to the rest of the world..but not for us fans... its been long time coming...

reverse_swing
December 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
Jon Coates The Scotsman
<script language="Javascript">writeDate('12-18-2006')</script>18 December 2006 <hr> File under "learning experience". A midwinter tour of Bangladesh loomed as a dangerous engagement and Scotland's worst fears were realised yesterday when they were pummelled by 146 runs in the second one-day international.

The Scots have been treated like kings but local hospitality didn't extend to mercy on the field, the national stadium in Mirpur proving no more forgiving than the coastal arena in Chittagong where they lost by six wickets on Friday.

The bowlers enjoyed periods of dominance but the batsmen fared poorly on another docile wicket and will bear the brunt of blame for the country's heaviest runs defeat in ten ODIs. Ryan Watson has a broken face but all 15 players will have flown home last night attending to wounded pride.

The result was settled in the last five overs of Bangladesh's innings and the first five of the reply. The hosts had been kept in check until Mashrafe Mortaza cut loose with five sixes to propel them to 278 for six; the same player then took the ball and, within four balls, removed both of Scotland's county professionals with nought on the board.

Gavin Hamilton, chief blade in the absence of Watson, perished in the fifth over and again it was left to the lower order to stave off the ignominy of a two-figure score. The squad are home for the festive period before an Intercontinental Cup game in Sharjah and then three solid weeks of one-day cricket in Kenya, when all the grand plans for the World Cup will have to be fine-tuned.

This inaugural subcontinent jaunt, from a competitive point of view, could not have been less favourably timed. "We've taken on a side at the top of their game and we came out cold: that's not an excuse, just a fact," said coach Peter Drinnen. Not that they could have had it any other way: as Hamilton pointed out last week, Scotland are in no position to pick and choose their exposure to Test sides.

Thrashings such as yesterday's have been shaken off before and Drinnen, who has yet to oversee a solid batting performance in five ODIs, must somehow instil a climate of responsibility at the top of the order.

"The batting was poor. We lost two early wickets and they just kept coming, and we really have to do better," he said. "There are plenty of reasons but we are not here to make excuses – this tour has been incredibly beneficial.

"Some people said we were coming out for two wins but as coach I looked at it realistically and said I would be happy with two good performances. Unfortunately we didn't get that, and the players are more disappointed because they didn't perform anywhere near what they are capable of. We should have done better, irrespective of the amount of cricket under our belt.

"We don't want to be repeating the mistakes we made here in the New Year in Kenya, and we will work on those areas and make the necessary adjustments."

Witnesses report that Fraser Watts and Hamilton looked in good touch in both games. Yet nobody bearing the saltire made it past 30. After the loss of Navdeep Poonia, Dougie Brown and Hamilton, Watts progressed to 29 off 36 balls before he was bowled through the gate by the leader of the Tigers' left-arm spin platoon, Abdur Razzak. Colin Smith went the same way and when Craig Wright was trapped leg-before – like Poonia, suffering a pair for the series – the Scots were in another shambles at 72 for six.

Neil McCallum held a stubborn vigil to muster 23 off 73 balls and Glenn Rogers and John Blain forged a ninth-wicket stand of 42 that helped the tourists reach 132, a total that will sit uneasily beside Friday's 153 in the history books.

Scotland were at least competitive in the field. Wright removed both Bangladeshi openers and returned good figures of two for 46, while ODI debutant Majid Haq was another bowler to prosper. The 23-year-old had danger man Aftab Ahmed stumped and soon claimed a second scalp.

Backed up by Rogers and Brown, the off-spinner took the wind out of Bangladesh's sails for a 15-over spell. Cruelly, however, three balls of his final over sailed over the ropes as the clean hitting of Mortaza, whose fifty came off an astonishing 26 balls, turned a respectable score into an imposing one.

"Majid bowled well today and his figures don't reflect the importance of his spell. He can bowl at this level," said Drinnen. "We held it together in the field until the 45th over, but the last five went for 64 runs, which is always going to give you a hill to climb.

"My immediate reaction is that we were poor today, but we will take a lot away from this tour. It's been an incredible experience and I hope to be able to bring a side back one day, preferably at the end of our season."

Cricket Scotland >> (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000035/003515.shtml)

akabir77
December 18, 2006, 09:40 AM
And I don't see a Thank you and a sorry anywhere...

Thank Bangladesh for hosting us
Sorry that we thought we could even compete with you..

[]scotts.

akabir77
December 18, 2006, 09:42 AM
WHat the hell they mean by this:
"Then - just as Adam Gilchrist did to England - three sixes by Mortaza in Majid’s last over
made a mockery of his figures and took the final total effectively out of our reach.
"
As if they could chase 250? Hello? you got bowled out for 130+... DO we have to teach how to do math too?130 is much lesser than 250

AND "Bangladesh are a lot further on in their cricket than when we last played them two years
ago. They have two opening bowlers who regularly bang it in at 85mph, which we haven’t
faced since the first half of last season. And their left-arm spinners dart the ball into your
legs, forcing legside shots we haven’t been able to practise since last season."

As if, if they had the practice they could have won the matches. please...

billah
December 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
There is something here for ALL of us Bangladeshis to learn:

The Scots are not calling for Hamilton's head. They are not asking to axe their openers. Their reports show a strong, healthy support for their team. They are belittling our victories, but, not at the expense of losing sight of the facts. They are not calling all their players a bunch of losers. They have not called for dramatic changes in the lineup, nor have they called for the executions of their selectors.

This, my friends, will give their team the psychological edge they need to go out there and meet the opponents with a strong mindframe. We are, among the most self-critical nation, thanks to our politicians and special-interest NGOs. We do need to show stronger, unequivocal support for our team. We need to do more of it specially when they lose badly.

roi
December 18, 2006, 02:47 PM

The Scots are not calling for Hamilton's head. They are not asking to axe their openers. Their reports show a strong, healthy support for their team. They are belittling our victories, but, not at the expense of losing sight of the facts. They are not calling all their players a bunch of losers. They have not called for dramatic changes in the lineup, nor have they called for the executions of their selectors.

I second every part of above.....when will we grow up?:hairpull: Smart observationL-)

akabir77
December 18, 2006, 02:59 PM

This, my friends, will give their team the psychological edge they need to go out there and meet the opponents with a strong mindframe. We are, among the most self-critical nation, thanks to our politicians and special-interest NGOs. We do need to show stronger, unequivocal support for our team. We need to do more of it specially when they lose badly.

Yeah we were like that before getting test status. all the problem started when JODU MODU AND KODU started giving their opinon... and btw they don't have SC like we do to give their opinion too.:saint:

zakirc
December 18, 2006, 09:39 PM

I think the rapid development of our cricket and our calls for axing our players originate from the same source .... our passion and love for our cricket. I remember reading somewhere after the first ODI, the Scottish team is used to an audience one tenth of the 30,000 present in that match. That is the level of passion and support they get at home .... no wonder their reaction has no passion in it.

A few years ago, Scotland played similar level cricket as ourselves. During these past years, their players had much better exposure to English County cricket (Which means they played with or against top players in the world) yet today we beat them with such ease. You may argue about better facilities, better coaching etc. but if the fans were not there, none of this would happen. We are the ones responsible for having the players under pressure to perform and eventually we are getting better and better performances.

So please allow the "scotch" to be "cool", "supportive", "civilized" and let us be the crazy fans who will shower a player with praise one day and throw him out the very next day. :flag::-D:flag::-D:flag:

shujan
December 18, 2006, 11:04 PM
Poverty is hard to ignore when you walk around Dhaka. Povert is a powerfull image. I hate the poverty do not hate the person who points it out. Poverty is more humaliating then a game loss. We can not tell people hey man close your eyes and do not talk about it...

mhferdaus
December 19, 2006, 06:05 AM
I guess we are on our way to make a name for ouselves as the Dark Horse.
or rather i should say Brown Horses..

If that happens, that might be surprise to the rest of the world..but not for us fans... its been long time coming...

mixed breed horse to be exact ha ha :D,

hey I have a plan to defeat their white supremism ... those of us who are a little darker should hide in the shadow and perhaps import some more white people from india and pakistan and put our white ones up front and make a challenge to gauge the average whiteness of our respective races and we would be supreme ... supremely white that is huh :D,

BanglaCool
December 19, 2006, 10:40 PM
Excellent observation! Coincides with mine.

BanglaCool
December 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
Poverty is hard to ignore when you walk around Dhaka. Povert is a powerfull image. I hate the poverty do not hate the person who points it out. Poverty is more humaliating then a game loss. We can not tell people hey man close your eyes and do not talk about it...
Poverty is a shame for those who are not in it, and not doing enough to eradicate it.

capslock
December 20, 2006, 12:29 AM

That is because they have several other international sports that they are competitive in, and because cricket is relatively unpoplular.

RazabQ
December 20, 2006, 02:25 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tms/2006/12/post_3.shtml

Amongst other things, he elaborates on why our spin tactic might work in Windies (which is something I believe to be true as well) and he also reveals the inner Aussie with his refusal to support England :)

zakirc
December 20, 2006, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by zakirc

I think there is some confusion about my earlier post. The objective of my post was not to defend Bangladesh's poverty but to point out the fact that despite our poverty, we have improved our capital in a way that one gets a pretty pleasant first impression. :flag: :flag:

Journalists are supposed to write based on facts while novelists and fiction writers can add as much "moner madhuri" as they want in their writing. Through my posting I challenged the factual basis of a journalist. :mad::mad:

zakirc
December 20, 2006, 03:30 AM

Amongst other things, he elaborates on why our spin tactic might work in Windies (which is something I believe to be true as well) and he also reveals the inner Aussie with his refusal to support England :)

Nice one .. .thanks Razab Bhai. I think this one deserves to be in a separate thread or a more appropriate one.

Ahmed_B
December 20, 2006, 07:54 AM

Interesting Article.
The comment that I enjoyed is when they mentioned BD spin gang as 'backup bowling squad' calling the pacers as main ones. We have been hearing so much about our spinners these days that some times I do start to worry about whether the pacers are failing so much to impress the visitors or not. It's good to see that they are actually not. :)

TheWatcher
December 26, 2006, 07:53 PM
Watson's misery continues-
Ryan Watson will miss Scotland's Intercontinental Cup match against UAE in Sharjah next month and is doubtful for the triangular series with Kenya and Canada in Mombasa.

The all-rounder was struck in the face while batting in Bangladesh last week and underwent an operation in Dundee yesterday to repair a fractured cheekbone and eye socket.

"I'm told it's a four-to-six-week healing process after the operation, so at best I am looking at being back for the tri-series in Kenya," said Watson from Ninewells Hospital.

- CricketEurope (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000035/003547.shtml)
Looks like Scots learned their lessons well, no more crap talk about Bangladesh.