PDA

View Full Version : Which team(s) to beat in 2007

zakirc
December 16, 2006, 01:28 PM
There has been a lot of talk about Bangladesh's progress in the cricketing world in the year 2006. If the performance graph keeps its direction, we can expect to rise up the ratings putting another 1-3 countries behind by the end of 2007. Which countries do you think we will defeat (World ranking wise) in the year 2007? :flag: :flag: :flag:

I kept multiple voting options open, just one request guys, please cast your votes realistically so that we can get a good picture about Banglacricket member's true expectations.

Poll ends December 31 2006.

Forgive my spelling of Sri Lanka ... i cant seem to find a way of editing the poll choices :(.

fan_frm_the_uk
December 16, 2006, 01:38 PM
there should be an option as "none of the above", although my heart says - more realistic chance wud be india, the other team we gona play is srilanka- more difficult. forget about the others, as first we need to progress to the 2nd stage of the competion in order to face them

zakirc
December 16, 2006, 01:40 PM
For your convenience, current ratings are as follows:

<table class="ratingsTable"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><th>Team</th> <th>Matches</th> <th>Points</th> <th>Rating</th> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>Australia</td> <td>33</td> <td>4335</td> <td>131</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>South Africa</td> <td>32</td> <td>4047</td> <td>126</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>New Zealand</td> <td>22</td> <td>2477</td> <td>113</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>Pakistan</td> <td>29</td> <td>3218</td> <td>111</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>Sri Lanka</td> <td>37</td> <td>4011</td> <td>108</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>India</td> <td>41</td> <td>4355</td> <td>106</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>West Indies</td> <td>34</td> <td>3567</td> <td>105</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>England</td> <td>26</td> <td>2573</td> <td>99</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>Bangladesh</td> <td>31</td> <td>1262</td> <td>41</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>Zimbabwe</td> <td>30</td> <td>691</td> <td>23</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td>Kenya</td> <td>9</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
Bangladesh ODI fixture for 2007 as follows:

<table class="editorialTable" border="2" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>2006/07</td><td>Mar-Apr</td><td colspan="3">AWAY: World Cup (Aus, Eng, Ind, Sth Africa, New Z'lnd, Pak, Sri Lanka, W Indies, Zim, B'desh, Kenya, Ireland, Bermuda, Canada, Scotland, Netherlands) in West Indies (http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC2007/)</td></tr> <tr><td>2007</td><td>May</td><td>HOME v India</td><td>*tbc</td><td>*tbc</td></tr> <tr><td>2007</td><td>Jun</td><td colspan="3">AWAY: Afro Asia Cup (B'desh. Ind, Sth Africa, Pak, Sri Lanka, Zim, Kenya) in </td></tr> <tr><td>2007</td><td>Jun-Jul</td><td>AWAY v Sri Lanka</td><td>tbc*</td><td>tbc*</td></tr></tbody></table>

The above fixture only shows the series set by now. There will be more series and the number of matches will be decided later. Please note one thing, wins against superior ranked teams give the weaker teams big jumps in rating points.

I am sure many of you can add more relevant information. Please do that so that we can set our expectations realistically.

Omio
December 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
may b all of them or may b none of them..

kalpurush
December 16, 2006, 02:27 PM
Beating New Zeland and South Africa would be difficuld for us. Any other team could be killed by the Tiger any time,,any where!:-D

Baundule
December 16, 2006, 03:56 PM
I opted for all of them, though I have no idea how that can be possible in 2007; may be we are not going to even play against all of them ;)

AsifTheManRahman
December 16, 2006, 04:00 PM
where's bermuda?

al Furqaan
December 16, 2006, 04:48 PM
wait a second this afro asia cup is not a 'real tournament'

its an asia XI vs africa XI...bangladeshi players might play, but bangladesh teh country won't. no country will...

al Furqaan
December 16, 2006, 04:52 PM
where's bermuda?

500 miles E of North Carolina

Rihaad The Man
December 16, 2006, 06:54 PM
When we can beat NZ , SA & England then we would be a great team in the world indeed .

uss01
December 16, 2006, 06:58 PM
Wow it's going to be scorching hot in May in BD. Not good for the player's health or the crowd's health. Is it scheduled because the Indian team were too busy in the winter season (November-Feb)?

Rabz
December 16, 2006, 07:57 PM
I hope we can beat SA, NZ, WI and England next year... these are the teams we are yet to beat and the following year should have our dreams realised.

Hopefully this time around next year, we can say that we have beaten every single test teams.

AND then again, there will no satisfactory or winning feelings than beating the crap out of India, most preferably in WC.

I can boldly predict that we will have an atleast 25% winning margin next year (ex Zim or kenya),

thebest
December 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
Realistically we have better chance beating England. Unfortunately we would not meet them. People are talking of beating India. They might take a beating in WI and SA. But remember their batsmen are flat track bully. Dhoni and co would murder our bowlers. We do not have a Gayle or Lara in our team.

bengaltiger
December 16, 2006, 09:41 PM
all of them are wayy better than b'desh, there's a huge diff. in ranking from no. 8 to no. 9. after a decade of off-form, all of a sudden both sri lanka and WI has started playing really good. and england has been tough in the last 5 years. india, pak, SA has always been really good...

but you never know, with time, some team may fall off & b'desh might significantly improve [and get some real games :( ] to climb up the ladder.

Rihaad The Man
December 16, 2006, 09:43 PM
I hope we can beat SA, NZ, WI and England next year... these are the teams we are yet to beat and the following year should have our dreams realised.

Hopefully this time around next year, we can say that we have beaten every single test teams.

AND then again, there will no satisfactory or winning feelings than beating the crap out of India, most preferably in WC.

I can boldly predict that we will have an atleast 25% winning margin next year (ex Zim or kenya),

If we have to beat every other teams then we have to reach in World Cup semi final next year :) .

Now , Can we make it or what ?

uss01
December 16, 2006, 09:49 PM
Yeah man I'm afraid Dhoni and Shewag will butcher Mash, Shahadat and others in the world cup. Hope our bowlers are prepared. Actually Mash has the ability to come back and get the batsman out after getting smacked for a few fours. He did that against Gilchrest back in an April ODI. Hope he can do it in the world cup if it comes to that.

Realistically we have better chance beating England. Unfortunately we would not meet them. People are talking of beating India. They might take a beating in WI and SA. But remember their batsmen are flat track bully. Dhoni and co would murder our bowlers. We do not have a Gayle or Lara in our team.

zakirc
December 17, 2006, 10:34 AM
So far Most People (87.50%) think we can beat India with WI and England following ... Why not Pakistan?

BanglaCool
December 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
500 miles E of North Carolina
LoL. I thought NC is the center of storm, rather than center of the Earth.

Sovik
December 17, 2006, 11:33 AM
all of them.

Protic
December 17, 2006, 10:22 PM
India and West Indies.
But if they play England at home..trust me..we will surely defeat them once!..but not likely to happen though :( no home series..vs england.

PoorFan
December 17, 2006, 11:56 PM
Any of Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan!

England & West indies should be on the list though, but we don't have match against them any time soon, that's bad.

Rabz
December 18, 2006, 04:46 AM
If we have to beat every other teams then we have to reach in World Cup semi final next year :) .

Now , Can we make it or what ?

I was merely talking about the whole year, not necessarily in the WC, even though i wont mind making it to the semis. :-D :p