PDA

View Full Version : Casual Respect

IanW
December 18, 2006, 04:24 PM
OK, there's an article in the SMH about Australia winning back the Ashes.

It has this little chunk in it.

"At the end of a difficult Bangladesh tour in April, Buchanan resolved to take the players out of their comfort zones for a boot camp in the Queensland bush"

A handful of years ago, the adjective 'difficult' would never be used to describe the Tigers at home.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/how-australia-plotted-the-assault/2006/12/18/1166290478237.html

Ian Whitchurch

Beamer
December 18, 2006, 04:41 PM
ha ha..wasn't too difficult after the jetlagged first test however ! We could never recover from that improbable defeat ( as England after Adelaide ) and morally it was so crushing that even Gillespie managed a double ton. One dayers were terribly one sided as well. Overall, though, we had better performance than the first time when we faced the Aussies in a series. I expect us to do better next time we visit down under.

Gilchirst actually mentioned that his match saving century in the first test was one his best knock ever under such diffilcult circumstances, which rarely gets mentioned, as it invloved Bangladesh. I take more stock from that..

IanW
December 18, 2006, 04:49 PM
Beamer,

The first test needed two great innings from two great cricketers - and Ponting and Gilchrist are right to assess those innings as some of the best in their career.

The second test made it to day 5, and by the standards of Australian massacres, thats not too bad.

Ian Whitchurch

Beamer
December 18, 2006, 04:53 PM
Only because almost four-five sessions were wiped out beacuse of rain, coupled with Gillespie's extremely slow knock, made it to the fifth day. I take no consolation from it. Maybe, four years ago, I would have.

Rihaad The Man
December 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
Australia is waiting for Whitewash now since they lost the series about 15 months back in England .

SMHasan
December 18, 2006, 06:11 PM
Heheh...I thought smh=smhasan :)hahahaha man I was surprised!

Omio
December 18, 2006, 06:46 PM
hahaahah
its more better-
www.abulhasem.com

kalpurush
December 18, 2006, 06:55 PM
Only because almost four-five sessions were wiped out beacuse of rain, coupled with Gillespie's extremely slow knock, made it to the fifth day. I take no consolation from it. Maybe, four years ago, I would have.

Thanks kindly for your "very positive" attitude towards our national team! :-P

kalpurush
December 18, 2006, 06:56 PM

Hasan bhai: I thought it too!:-D

kalpurush
December 18, 2006, 07:03 PM
Beamer,

The first test needed two great innings from two great cricketers - and Ponting and Gilchrist are right to assess those innings as some of the best in their career.

The second test made it to day 5, and by the standards of Australian massacres, thats not too bad.

Ian Whitchurch

Many thanks for your comments, Sir. At least we know there is someone out there from a different race who has the courage to make a positive statement about Bangladesh cricket! :-D

kaisermatin
December 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
Think England in place of Bangladesh! I am not rationalizing BD defeat to Australia. But we have a long way to go in terms of strategy and technics.

IanW
December 18, 2006, 08:42 PM
Many thanks for your comments, Sir. At least we know there is someone out there from a different race who has the courage to make a positive statement about Bangladesh cricket! :-D

I've been here for a while. Check the date stamp on this ...

http://www.banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=191

Ian Whitchurch

Ejaj
December 18, 2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks Ian .. U r a true TIgerFan as usual. :)

Zunaid
December 18, 2006, 10:29 PM

Ian Whitchurch

Or this :)

From the Articles section:

Ian Whitchurch
Ian Whitchurch lives in Sydney, Australia, and spends too much time on BanglaCricket, alternatively hosing down and geeing up over-emotional Tigers fans. In real life, he runs a small independent oil company.

Views From Afar (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/article.php?item=201) (6th June, 2004)
Views From Afar (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/article.php?item=191) (30th May, 2004)
Review: BD-A vs. Gloucestershire, Day 1 (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/article.php?item=330) (21st July, 2005)
One step at a time (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/article.php?item=329) (1st July, 2005)

Beamer
December 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks kindly for your "very positive" attitude towards our national team! :-P

I have only stated the fact about that particular game. We could not recover from the brutally agonizing first test. Rain did interrupt heavily and that is the only reason why that match went as far as it did. If you are happy with that, good on you, and no further insights are needed. Be content with yourself but please don't go around making unreasonable comments about others, or their "attitude", that you have clearly no clue off. It is pointless to support with blinders on.

Arnab
December 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
Respect Schmespect... I will take a win against Australia (preferably Test) over their casual respect any day of the week. :)

Beamer
December 18, 2006, 11:56 PM
Respect Schmespect... I will take a win against Australia (preferably Test) over their casual respect any day of the week. :)

Indeed.

kalpurush
December 18, 2006, 11:57 PM

Ian Whitchurch

Yes! I know that very well!! And, pleasure is all mine having you at BC as a cricket pundit/writer with a high morale.:-D

kalpurush
December 19, 2006, 12:14 AM
I have only stated the fact about that particular game. We could not recover from the brutally agonizing first test. Rain did interrupt heavily and that is the only reason why that match went as far as it did. If you are happy with that, good on you, and no further insights are needed. Be content with yourself but please don't go around making unreasonable comments about others, or their "attitude", that you have clearly no clue off. It is pointless to support with blinders on.

Beamer bhai: I am sorry if I hurt you! And it wasn't my intension at all.
Though, I feel we should give due credit to our players if they deserve any.
And, in the 1st Test against Australia they played according to the par, I believe.:-D

Rabz
December 19, 2006, 03:14 AM
I would have be honest, using "difficult Bangladesh Tour" is probably more than a casual respect.
The way we fought agains the mightly Aussies and that surprise win ( and oh so that win that got away at Fatullah), i bet next time the Ozies play against us, they will treat us with respect and that is a big acheivement of its own feat.

Given the record of this great Aussie team in past 10 years, i believe we did what many other well established teams would have dreamt of doing...

Few years down the line, every Bangladesh Tour would be a "difficult" tour for the other test nations...

Waiting for those days...

roaring tigerz
December 19, 2006, 04:16 AM
Respect has to be earned, its never a free gift. Like it or not, a lot of teams still see us as the second class citizens of the elitist cricketing fraternity. And the only way to establish our credentials is by performing well on the field and doing it consistently. We fought hard against Australia, were on the brink of bringing one of the most dominant teams in sports to its knees.This is precisely why the Australian team will take any future tours against BD with more consideration. All we have to concentrate on is our own performance. The rest as they say, will be history.

Beamer
December 19, 2006, 01:13 PM
Beamer bhai: I am sorry if I hurt you! And it wasn't my intension at all.
Though, I feel we should give due credit to our players if they deserve any.
And, in the 1st Test against Australia they played according to the par, I believe.:-D

No need to be sorry! I am not hurt, nor are my feelings ! Don't worry about it at all, please.

I give due credit when they deserve it. At the same time, it is not helpful to ignore problems that are there.

In the first test, you can say that we played on par, only in our first innings. Second innings was a disaster and a familiar collapse prevented us to post a formidable total that even the Aussies would have found diffilcult to chase down. Still, we almost did it, but had we scored at least 200 runs in the second innings, you would have seen a different result. All we needed was 50-60 more runs in our second innings. Thats where we lost.

Anyway...take care.

kalpurush
December 19, 2006, 01:19 PM
I would have be honest, using "difficult Bangladesh Tour" is probably more than a casual respect.
The way we fought agains the mightly Aussies and that surprise win ( and oh so that win that got away at Fatullah), i bet next time the Ozies play against us, they will treat us with respect and that is a big acheivement of its own feat.

Given the record of this great Aussie team in past 10 years, i believe we did what many other well established teams would have dreamt of doing...

Few years down the line, every Bangladesh Tour would be a "difficult" tour for the other test nations...

Waiting for those days...

:up: :up: :up:

Ditto! That's the statement comes from an great soul!!:-D

kalpurush
December 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
No need to be sorry! I am not hurt, nor are my feelings ! Don't worry about it at all, please.

I give due credit when they deserve it. At the same time, it is not helpful to ignore problems that are there.

In the first test, you can say that we played on par, only in our first innings. Second innings was a disaster and a familiar collapse prevented us to post a formidable total that even the Aussies would have found diffilcult to chase down. Still, we almost did it, but had we scored at least 200 runs in the second innings, you would have seen a different result. All we needed was 50-60 more runs in our second innings. Thats where we lost.

Anyway...take care.

I agree with you 100% about the above statement. It could be a different story if we could scored 50-60 more runs as you said. We sure would be ruing for long time what we could have achieved for not being complacent!:(

Fazal
December 19, 2006, 04:09 PM
Casual Respect is like causal [you know what]. Its temporary and transitional pleasure. We need Permanent Respect.

shujan
December 19, 2006, 05:07 PM
The article mention this person Richard McInness. Ring a bell? Wherever he goes good thing happens.

IanW
December 19, 2006, 07:28 PM
Fazal,

I think there's a cultural thing working here. "Casual respect" was a compliment - it means *without thinking about it*, Bangladesh are accredited respect by Australia for their deeds in Cairns, England and Bangladesh.

If you have to study players position by position and then go 'hey, thats potentially a side that could give us a tough tour', then that isnt casual respect.

It used to be 'they're a crap side' - I'm especially thinking about the press before the 2003 Bangladesh tour of Australia. Now, the unthinking response is 'yeah, they arent bad'.

Kabir
December 19, 2006, 08:17 PM
It used to be 'they're a crap side' - I'm especially thinking about the press before the 2003 Bangladesh tour of Australia. Now, the unthinking response is 'yeah, they arent bad'.

Agree with you Ian. That's almost like the article written by Utpol (although couldn't read it coz it's written in Bangla). He shared the transition in his feelings about the team, and wrote how it changed over time. Before 2003, he used to be bored of waiting for the result, coz he knew we'ld lose. But it has now changed...more so with the 8-match winning streak.