PDA

View Full Version : Shane and Glenn to follow path laid out by Damien?

AsifTheManRahman
December 20, 2006, 05:01 AM
Looks like it's going to be the end of an era for Australian cricket, leg spin, fast bowling and cricket in general, if all this is true.

<a href="http://usa.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/current/story/273446.html">Warne and McGrath set to bow out?</a>

<a href="http://usa.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/current/story/273451.html">Australia in shock</a>

Rabz
December 20, 2006, 05:15 AM
Sad news... but inevitable i guess..
age does catch up with everyone...

SMH Report on Warne (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/12/20/1166290604407.html)

I guess its a very fitting way to end one of the most celebrated, controversial, colourful but also greatest cricketing career of all time.

My Salute to the Legend.

Now i have to go and find a ticket for the fifth day of the Sydney test... damn...

Spitfire_x86
December 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
Hayden and Langer should retire, too.

Alien
December 20, 2006, 07:19 AM
The title of the thread is misleading. They aren't following the path laid out by Martyn. They are planning retirement by announcing it to the world which Damien Martyn didn't do. He quit out of no where announced.

And I don't think it will impact Australia too much. Aussies have been preparing well for this change and grooming Stuart Clark to take on spot of McGrath.

cricman
December 20, 2006, 08:25 AM
Now i have to go and find a ticket for the fifth day of the Sydney test... damn...

The test won't go 5 days, Macgill is pretty old too I mean their bowling attack is going to be quite different now w/o Mcgrath and Warne. BTW: Mcgrath is going to play in the WC?

Kabir
December 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
I always hated Warn, coz he's one of the most manner-challenged cricketer in the history of cricket. Although his stats are superb, I'm glad that he's leaving...Aussie management should have a manner-test like the drug-tests before they get more of such guys in.

Alien
December 20, 2006, 04:21 PM
I always hated Warn, coz he's one of the most manner-challenged cricketer in the history of cricket. Although his stats are superb, I'm glad that he's leaving...Aussie management should have a manner-test like the drug-tests before they get more of such guys in.

Given his talent and contribution to Australia's dominance in cricket, I am sure Aussie management wont be too bothered how much "manner-challenged" he is.

Sovik
December 20, 2006, 06:47 PM
cricket is loosing their stars. macgrath and warne will be a huge loss.

Kabir
December 20, 2006, 09:02 PM
Given his talent and contribution to Australia's dominance in cricket, I am sure Aussie management wont be too bothered how much "manner-challenged" he is.

But my point is, they should be. Cricket, in terms of a player's professionalism, is like basketball. They shouldn't have manner-challenged players in the team. If they do, then they should face the consequences.

Beamer
December 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
End is also nearing for two other legends in Lara and Tendulkar.

Alien
December 20, 2006, 10:19 PM
But my point is, they should be. Cricket, in terms of a player's professionalism, is like basketball. They shouldn't have manner-challenged players in the team. If they do, then they should face the consequences.

Basketball? Cricketers are more civilised them Basketball players.

And I don't see where Shane Warne is manner-challenged. If you are referring to those scandals, then every individual is somewhat "perverted" at some time or another. Its just him being a celebrity bad and running after wrong women who keeps dubbing him to the media and causing bad publicity for him.

He is arrogant I agree but he earned it given his talent. As for his comments about BD team, well, everyone has said bad stuff about BD team including ourselves.

Other than these reasons, I don't see how he is manner challenged.

DotBall
December 20, 2006, 11:41 PM

I was more shocked to read your comments than reading the news of Warne's retirement. What he did for cricket is more than 699 wickets that he claimed. What he did off the field is his business. I might add that off the field he did nothing compare to many celebrities in the world. It was always exciting to watch him play (both bowling and batting).

Best wishes for him. He earned the title of "Best Cricketer of the Century".

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Alien
Basketball? Cricketers are more civilised them Basketball players.

And I don't see where Shane Warne is manner-challenged. If you are referring to those scandals, then every individual is somewhat "perverted" at some time or another. Its just him being a celebrity bad and running after wrong women who keeps dubbing him to the media and causing bad publicity for him.

He is arrogant I agree but he earned it given his talent. As for his comments about BD team, well, everyone has said bad stuff about BD team including ourselves.

Other than these reasons, I don't see how he is manner challenged.

No, I'm not refering to any of his off-field scandals. I'm refering to his attitude towards umpires, other players during matches, and so on. Yes it's his arogance I'm refering to. And being the best spinner in the world by no means earns him the right to be arogant...so I disagree. I don't expect you to agree with me on that, coz this is highly subjective.

I was refering to basketball coz of the fines that the players imposed with. If you follow NBA, I'm sure you know this weekend's story? Yes, cricketers are supposed to be more civilized...that's why they should face more penalties when they don't follow ICC codes for conduct.

I was more shocked to read your comments than reading the news of Warne's retirement. What he did for cricket is more than 699 wickets that he claimed. What he did off the field is his business. I might add that off the field he did nothing compare to many celebrities in the world. It was always exciting to watch him play (both bowling and batting).

Best wishes for him. He earned the title of "Best Cricketer of the Century".

Don't be shocked...as I mentioned, it's subjective. I'm quite biased against Australian players. Won't tell you why...so lets just leave it to this.

And as I've mentioned to Alien...it's not his usual off-field stuff that I'm refering to here.

A lot of people don't like it when I say I don't like Warne...since mostly they're a big fan of his. If you're a fan of his, I can understand why you won't like my comments. I'm not a great fan of his...but wish him all the best (off-field...and in-house).

Pundit
December 21, 2006, 12:26 AM
So what? We'll be losing our Bashar pretty soon!! :)

We are a little lucky, are we not? When teams have retiring players, ours will be peaking on 3-4 years.

Just imagine what Ashraful would have done to them Aussies w/o W & M.

AsifTheManRahman
December 21, 2006, 12:31 AM
afair, warne wasn't playing in that game anyways :)

AsifTheManRahman
December 21, 2006, 12:41 AM
and it's official now - both of them have announced their retirement. or at least shane warne has, and mcgrath's getting closer. source - cricinfo.

this is an even sadder day for cricket than the one when martyn retired. tissue anyone?

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 12:48 AM
tissue anyone?

Sure...I need that when I laugh too loud!

Alien
December 21, 2006, 02:30 AM
I was refering to basketball coz of the fines that the players imposed with. If you follow NBA, I'm sure you know this weekend's story? Yes, cricketers are supposed to be more civilized...that's why they should face more penalties when they don't follow ICC codes for conduct..

He coped a 6 month ban during last world cup for failing drug test and 8000 dollar fine during his bookmaker incident. As far as I know, he has been dealt with every time he broke the rules.

Other than that he hasn't broken any rules or code of conduct that he wasn't punished for.

Alien
December 21, 2006, 02:32 AM
So what? We'll be losing our Bashar pretty soon!! :)

That will indeed be a great loss for BD. Coz now we'll be losing by a bigger margins.

jabbar
December 21, 2006, 03:59 AM

Manner test. That's the most ridiculous things I've heard for today.... L-)

Ak
December 21, 2006, 06:40 AM
Even more shocking new Harmison has retired from ODIs!!!

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/273561.html

Now whose gonna bowl those six-hitting deliveries now???? DAMN!:mad:

Alien
December 21, 2006, 07:50 AM
Now whose gonna bowl those six-hitting deliveries now???? DAMN!:mad:

Monty Panesar.

istiak
December 21, 2006, 09:04 AM

I am sorry to ask you what you mean by "manner-challenged"? Cricket has just lost its most prominent figure. I am hugly saddened by his announcment. Sorry mate i can't agree with your view here.

istiak
December 21, 2006, 09:10 AM
Just imagine what Ashraful would have done to them Aussies w/o W & M.

Ash never played against Warne in ODIs

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
He coped a 6 month ban during last world cup for failing drug test and 8000 dollar fine during his bookmaker incident. As far as I know, he has been dealt with every time he broke the rules.

Other than that he hasn't broken any rules or code of conduct that he wasn't punished for.

Buddy...there have been numerous cases where he hasn't been punished for things (just like many other players). And not being charged for something doesn't mean such things never happened.

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 09:19 AM
I am sorry to ask you what you mean by "manner-challenged"? Cricket has just lost its most prominent figure. I am hugly saddened by his announcment. Sorry mate i can't agree with your view here.

Don't be sorry...and don't have to agree either bro. It's just different opinions. I'm sad for those who are saddened...but not sad for the so called greatest loss of cricket. Sorry bro...but there're other great players I'll be saddened for, who I think should be termed as some of the greatest players. There's no "the greatest" here.

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 09:21 AM
Manner test. That's the most ridiculous things I've heard for today.... L-)

You gotta go out more often! L-)

sislam2
December 21, 2006, 12:58 PM
No matter how much i dislike both of there attitude.
But they both are beyond anything we say or write. We may talk about australian batsman, but at the end these are the players who made the difference in autralian team. Warne in 1999 WC semifinal, truly an outsanding spinner and parhaps the greatest leg spinner of cricket ever or may be will be in future. And mcgrath, May have not achieved what he wanted but yet he is no small than warne. Now to see Australia without these two in test world.

sislam2
December 21, 2006, 01:05 PM
where is the idea of manner coming in from? What happened off the field should stay off the field. The only reason we know about his personal issues because media wanted something snag on and since he is a big shot, they got it. Talk about cricket, i don't remember any horrible incident on the field from him, he always talked with ball when played. Mcgrath yes he does have temperment issue, but which dominating fast bowler doesn't?

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 01:18 PM
sislam2: I guess you're asking me these questions. So I'll try to answer.

Read above...I'm not referring to off-field stuff. And read above again, I'm not saying they're the only ones. And I think I never said they don't play well...in fact, Warne is by far the best spinner...but not the greatest figure in cricket history. Not with his attitude.

Enough said. No more bodnam about Warne...otherwise BC's shobai amare jibon char kar kore debe.

Zobair
December 21, 2006, 02:57 PM
A sad day for cricket...one of cricket's great characters and one of its finest practitioners was Warne! I will miss his fizzing leg-breaks...his trademark amble to the crease...the ball nestled in his palm almost as if there is an invisible glue between the two...and that beautiful release...

ialbd
December 21, 2006, 03:59 PM
jaoar bela.... always sad...

Bancan
December 21, 2006, 04:07 PM
o man , i m not the biggest fan of warne but he was a great bowler. we will miss him.
and McGrath was a my fav aussie bowler. i will miss his bowling very much.
i wish them success in their future life

Alien
December 23, 2006, 04:12 AM
McGrath isn't quitting till the WC 2007.

BangladeshFan
December 23, 2006, 06:58 PM
mcgrath was very good. but warne was simply great. must be one of the greatest.

regarding manner, its all relative. when u r so successful, its hard to be polite. true he was embroiled in controversy but then again with so much public attention it is hard to avoid it.

SMHasan
December 23, 2006, 10:00 PM
Don't be sorry...and don't have to agree either bro. It's just different opinions. I'm sad for those who are saddened...but not sad for the so called greatest loss of cricket. Sorry bro...but there're other great players I'll be saddened for, who I think should be termed as some of the greatest players. There's no "the greatest" here.

It's true that Shane Warne is certainly not the most polite person in the world but to be honest I love to watch him bowling. Leg spin is an art and he proved it. What a lazy bowling action and what a career!

I don't like him for his attitude and manner and there is no reason to do so. But as a brilliant bowler I will miss him. I feel sad, after all I bowl leg spin :(

Kabir
December 23, 2006, 11:38 PM
I feel sad, after all I bowl leg spin :(

Except that your one doesn't turn at all. L-)
:floor:

israr
December 25, 2006, 12:44 PM
We don't need cricketers who were simply ingenious in their talents or posses such statistics that deserves accolades. We need cricketers who, along with such talents, are good ambassadors of the game, of their country, are good role models for the zealous youngsters of the game. And I find these missing in McGrath and Warne.
Hopefully, my passion for cricket will reach its pinnacle after the retirement of both these notorious, barbaric, and fastidious players, who had just spoiled the name of this great game 'cricket'.
Wish both McGrath and Warne receives the most 'befitting' end to their careers in accordance to the way they've played their game.

Bancan
December 25, 2006, 01:37 PM
wow some ppl are really .........if u dont like the player thats fine , but dont take away their achievements . shane warne and glenn mcgrath is two of the greatest players to play this game.

we dont need players like this!!!!!!!!!! i cant imagine wat cricket would be like without warne and mcgrath who together took 1400 wickets.

Kabir
December 25, 2006, 02:29 PM
we dont need players like this!!!!!!!!!! i cant imagine wat cricket would be like without warne and mcgrath who together took 1400 wickets.

Cricket would have other great players than Warne and McGrath who would sweep up those 1400 wickets, and keep cricket the game for players with great manners at the same time.

Israr: where have you been all these days bro. I missed you...specially in this thread. Please read up and see what criticisms I faced coz I spoke against Warne and McGrath.

Bancan
December 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
o really. warne and mcgrath isnt stopping anyone from picking up wickets. so y isnt there many other players who r picking up those wickets before those two can.

Kabir
December 25, 2006, 11:19 PM
Because they picked up the wickets before others. Other players would have come in their spot if they weren't playing...so you know, you're talking about "what if they weren't there" sort of thing. And my assumption is, if they weren't there, someone else would have been.

israr
December 26, 2006, 06:39 AM
Kabir bhai, let others speak of their paradigms. It depends upon their cerebrum if they're to be convinced and thats not in our control. Its all about coming to a commom notion and understanding, but people here are failing to grasp the point that no one is taking away Warne's achievements, although about cricket lossing a 'great figure', I totally disagree.

israr
December 26, 2006, 06:58 AM
Except that your one doesn't turn at all. L-)
:floor:

Thanks for the laugh mate!

Simdog83
December 26, 2006, 08:51 AM
We don't need cricketers who were simply ingenious in their talents or posses such statistics that deserves accolades. We need cricketers who, along with such talents, are good ambassadors of the game, of their country, are good role models for the zealous youngsters of the game. And I find these missing in McGrath and Warne.
Hopefully, my passion for cricket will reach its pinnacle after the retirement of both these notorious, barbaric, and fastidious players, who had just spoiled the name of this great game 'cricket'.
Wish both McGrath and Warne receives the most 'befitting' end to their careers in accordance to the way they've played their game.

Oh dear. That's definitely one of the most pathetic comments I have ever read and I have read some crap in my time. Your ignorance astounds. I don't like the way either of these two have carried on at times but please. You're comments are so ridiculous the more I think about it the more I feel sorry for you and wonder how you could ever enjoy watching this great game.

By the way Warne 5 for 30 odd today in front of nearly 90,000 at the MCG on Boxing day. Looks like your 'befitting end' is spoilt ay? What a shame.

AsifTheManRahman
December 26, 2006, 09:05 AM
btw, with warne and mcgrath out of the equation, world cup er por australia ke dawat diye bangladeshe ene bedhorok mair dawa dorkar :p

israr
December 26, 2006, 02:04 PM
btw, with warne and mcgrath out of the equation, world cup er por australia ke dawat diye bangladeshe ene bedhorok mair dawa dorkar :p

Aaro kotogulo taader buira playerder retire hote den.