PDA

View Full Version : Milestones, records and landmarks

Zunaid
December 20, 2006, 09:31 PM
Folks...

Can we use this thread to record the many milestones, records and landmarks our cricketers reached/achieved this calendar year.

I will start the ball rolling with one:

Mashrafe - highest ODI wicket taker for 2006 (49)Please continue.

Kabir
December 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
And I'll go with the easiest ones:

- Shahriar Nafees 1000 ODI runs in calendar year
- SN 1000 ODI runs in career
- SN's 2 consequetive maiden tons
- BD's first player to score more than one century
- Rafiq's 100 ODI wickets
- Mashrafee's first 50

Farhad
December 20, 2006, 09:49 PM

- Mashrafee's first 50

Oh man......You took all the fun away from the rest of us!:-D

Errr...How about most consecutive wins for BD.

No matter though, its been a great year for us....this thread can go on and on (Ppl who are gonna bring up the point of the opposition, dont waste your breath, not all of us have amnesia)

Zunaid
December 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
How many :)

Zunaid
December 20, 2006, 10:00 PM
Ash, Rajin and Rafique also reached career 1000 ODI runs this year.

Farhad
December 20, 2006, 10:06 PM
O right....forgot to add that.....8 consecutive wins....And not to make this a useless post, let me add another.....Highest success rate for BD (64.29%)

Mahir
December 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
- First series whitewash against a Test playing country.
- Most Consecutive ODIs played : 65 (K. Mashud, Multan '03 to Bogura '06)
- Most Consecutive ODIs as Captain : 29 (H. Bashar, Chittagong '04 to Harare '06)
- First Tiger to maintain an ODI avg of 40 in atleast 20 innings played (S. Nafees)

Bancan
December 20, 2006, 10:31 PM
i have a question

is this the first time a team played against a opponent 17 times in 1 year.

AsifTheManRahman
December 21, 2006, 12:22 AM
no, because we didn't play them 17 times.

capslock
December 21, 2006, 12:27 AM

- Mashrafee's first 50

I don't think you can have consecutive 'maiden' tons, unless you're a born again virgin...

gatekeeper
December 21, 2006, 12:46 AM
Franklly, I'm a little sick of all this mindless adulation. Gotta keep things in perspective. Who did we play to achieve these records? The only record I am intersted right now is how many wins we get from here on against quality opposition. Individual records will follow.

Tintin
December 21, 2006, 01:59 AM
SN 123* in 161 balls in the Champions Trohpy - longest ODI innings for Bangladesh (world record for a 50 over match - 168 balls)

He made 123*(161), 105* (138) and 67 (68) - that is 367 balls between consecutive dismissals. No idea what the record is.

roi
December 21, 2006, 04:19 AM
Highest ODI total for Bangladesh -301 againest Kenya.

Hatebreed
December 21, 2006, 04:56 AM
Razzak became the only 4th Bangladeshi bowler to take 5 wickets in an ODI

Miraz
December 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
First Away Series win in BD cricket history (Kenya 3-0),
First wihitewash in away series (Kenya 3-0)
Highest ever rating position for Bangladeshi bowler (Razzaq - 12, rafiq - 15) in ODI
Highest ever first day total against aussies in tests in subcontinent (First test against Aussies - 355/5)
First ever first innings lead against aussies

Kabir
December 21, 2006, 09:32 AM
Closest to winning a Test against Aussies (yea, that's proving us as losers)

If not confined to cricketers only:
- Home of cricket - Mirpur stadium

cricket_dorshok
December 21, 2006, 11:35 AM
6 runs from 33 balls by Khaled Mashud. (Abahan vs Brothres, Kai Altech Premier Division Twenty20 League).
I don't know any record but think that it would be the most "ghonno" batting in any twenty20 match. I know this thread is not for the worst performer!!! :p

Miraz
December 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
6 runs from 33 balls by Khaled Mashud. (Abahan vs Brothres, Kai Altech Premier Division Twenty20 League).
I don't know any record but think that it would be the most "ghonno" batting in any twenty20 match. I know this thread is not for the worst performer!!! :p

C'mon man!! it was a tense finish but still he managed to win the match :D

Bancan
December 21, 2006, 03:58 PM
ok, then my bad. but wats the record. did any team play a opponent 20 times in 1 year?

TheWatcher
December 21, 2006, 04:47 PM
- Razzak achieved 50+ career ODI wickets
- Bashar captained in 50+ career ODIs
- Five of our stadiums (Fatullah, Bogra, Khulna, Chittagong Divisional, and Mirpur) got international status

TheWatcher
December 21, 2006, 04:53 PM
Ash, Rajin and Rafique also reached career 1000 ODI runs this year.
Ash reached his 1k career runs last year, Aftab is the other one who reached his 1k this year.

Mahir
December 22, 2006, 02:21 AM
SN 123* in 161 balls in the Champions Trohpy - longest ODI innings for Bangladesh (world record for a 50 over match - 168 balls)

Thats probably the best piece of stat thats not been talked about this year (for BD).

He made 123*(161), 105* (138) and 67 (68) - that is 367 balls between consecutive dismissals. No idea what the record is.

why not throw the query in for Steven Lynch of Cricinfo for his AskStevens column ? Let's see if it gets answered publicly.

Ahmed_B
December 22, 2006, 02:06 PM
BTW.... BD's ODI ranking went up in 2006 for the first time after Test status. Went 2 steps up from 11th to 9th.

Looks like loads of milestones for BD in 2006. Even though all these dontt mean that BD cricket has gone miles high in 2006... but it sure means that BD has settled some long-overdue maths with it's closest contestants (Zim, Ken) :)

billah
December 22, 2006, 02:34 PM
For those of you that think softly of our success against Kenya and Zimbabwe (and I said this several times before), here's a piece of valuable information:

For many years, Zimbabwe and Kenya stayed ahead of other associate countries using their success against us. For example, take Kenya. During the years they were ahead of us in the point table, was mainly due to wins they had against Bangladesh. Same goes for Zimbabwe.

Also, as for the present Zimbabwe team, now that the time for family franchise is over, and the backstabbing traitors are gone, this IS the real National team of Zimbabwe. Their cricket has a rebirth of sort. And, I can tell you, as a newly born cricketing nation, they are pretty impressive. They are only getting better. Remember, this new team is merely a few years old, packed with very young players. They are talented, regardless.

Kenya, has been a strong ODI side, in my opinion. They are capable of, on a given day, pulling off a victory against the champions. They were the SEMI FINALISTS of the last world cup.

Farhad
December 22, 2006, 03:34 PM
Kenya, has been a strong ODI side, in my opinion. They are capable of, on a given day, pulling off a victory against the champions. They were the SEMI FINALISTS of the last world cup.

True, but in no way can we take that seriously. It was 4 years ago.....Their matches with the top 8 after that (however few there were) were pretty dissapointing. Based on just that, we cant have an opinion on the Kenya side for now.

Tigers_eye
December 29, 2006, 10:37 AM
Mehrab Jr.

probably the first player in the history of the game, batting left handed, bowling left handed throwing/fielding right handed?? I saw it live so there is no arguement of source. One can check the videos also to verify.

Someone needs to ask him why?

rah
December 29, 2006, 11:07 AM
me!

rahul amin miah

youngest member of bangla cricket at the age of twelve!..........atleast i think i am

Mahir
January 2, 2007, 03:13 AM
Mehrab Jr.

probably the first player in the history of the game, batting left handed, bowling left handed throwing/fielding right handed?? I saw it live so there is no arguement of source. One can check the videos also to verify.

I personally know someone who plays cricket with me in the city league here, and he bats+bowls+field/throws left-handed, but occasionally sends down perfect throws right back on the stump with his right hand as well as his left hand. So I am suspecting that the case with Mehrab jnr may be a similar one, where you've spotted certain instances of him fielding/throwing with his right hand. Also, if I may add, another of my friend is a right-handed person in everything, including batting/bowling/fielding in cricket, but can make good throws with his left hand.

mhferdaus
January 2, 2007, 03:33 AM
Saqib ended the year with 40 plus average ( though not many matches )

al Furqaan
January 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
For those of you that think softly of our success against Kenya and Zimbabwe (and I said this several times before), here's a piece of valuable information:

For many years, Zimbabwe and Kenya stayed ahead of other associate countries using their success against us. For example, take Kenya. During the years they were ahead of us in the point table, was mainly due to wins they had against Bangladesh. Same goes for Zimbabwe.

Also, as for the present Zimbabwe team, now that the time for family franchise is over, and the backstabbing traitors are gone, this IS the real National team of Zimbabwe. Their cricket has a rebirth of sort. And, I can tell you, as a newly born cricketing nation, they are pretty impressive. They are only getting better. Remember, this new team is merely a few years old, packed with very young players. They are talented, regardless.

never thought about it that way...and i have to say i agree 99%, well said billah bhai.

the previous zimbabwe team was artificial, of course so is the south african team, the UAE team, HK, and others.

whites made up 90% of the "1st string" zimbabwe team, yet they only make up a measley 2% of the national population!!!, that would be akin to having a bangladesh team composed almost entirely of chakmas or biharis. how representative is that of bangladesh? not very.

and this zimbabwe team are quite good for being newbies. one only hopes that cricket takes root amongst the native black pop there, then zimbabwe can reach the heights they did before.

as for kenya, i disagree, they are about as good as we were in 2003, maybe a bit stronger. i doubt if kenya can beat any of the stronger teams except zimbabwe, and i even expect zimbabwe to beat them in a series, albeit marginally.

kenya was a good team in 2003 no doubt. its unbelievable that an associate could make the semis, but the kenyan authorities ruined the game, and they never had popular support that bangladesh has. one can only hope that fans get into it in both african nations, as that will strengthen cricket overall.

BangladeshFan
January 2, 2007, 02:07 PM
that one win against australia is more valuable than 50 wins against zimbo or kenya.
all this centuries of SN counts for nothing, for me ashraful is still more valuable because he could provide us that amazing feeling that Bd can beat the best.

so for this year, Bd players didnt achieve much apart from that win against srilanka. The way aftab spanked srilankan bowlers and at the end of the match mahela completely lost his temper, that was the real achievement.

Tigers_eye
January 2, 2007, 02:59 PM
I personally know someone who plays cricket with me in the city league here, and he bats+bowls+field/throws left-handed, but occasionally sends down perfect throws right back on the stump with his right hand as well as his left hand. So I am suspecting that the case with Mehrab jnr may be a similar one, where you've spotted certain instances of him fielding/throwing with his right hand. Also, if I may add, another of my friend is a right-handed person in everything, including batting/bowling/fielding in cricket, but can make good throws with his left hand.
Agreed, but he throws with his right 100% of the time. :) Not for one or two instances. That is just odd.

Farhad
January 2, 2007, 03:21 PM
Mehrab Jr.

Actually, he's not. Not even close. It is kinda rare, but there've been a handful of players who can do that. BD itself has another ambidextrous player, an exciting prospect for the future, Junaid.

Tigers_eye
January 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
Actually, he's not. Not even close. It is kinda rare, but there've been a handful of players who can do that. BD itself has another ambidextrous player, an exciting prospect for the future, Junaid.
Being able to do that and doing it 100% of the time in international matches is two different thing.

I am sorry that I did not explain myself a little better. What I meant was that in the past three decade of what I saw in the international cricket I have never seen this type of player. In my eyes, he is the first one. If Junaid is like that well, done and good. Still Mehrab Jr. becomes the first. Unless you have a list of players who bat and bowled in one handed but fielded only with the other hand in international matches 100% of the time. I would be glad to know their names.

Logic defies this phenomenon. Why would one do that? Batting and bowling left handed justifies his strong arm is his left arm. Yet throwing with his right arm just puzzles me. This is not pinch hitting in Baseball that you get unfair advantage by switching stances.

Farhad
January 2, 2007, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=Tigers_eye;361187]
I am sorry that I did not explain myself a little better. [QUOTE]

Dont worry about that, you explained yourself perfectly, it was I who misunderstood. There have been players who throw in one way a 100% of the time but bat in a different way, like Inzamam. But, of course, his bowling arm is also the same as his throwing arm, so i guess Mehrabs one could be a record. But we cant say for certain as they didnt keep throwing-arm records until more recently.

Tigers_eye
January 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
Only country to have 3 bowlers in the top ten wicket takers in a calender your 2006 in ODIs.

1. Mash 49
3. Razzak 45
10. Rafique 34

Australia has (2. Bracken 46 and 4. Lee 44), West Indies has (5. Taylor 39 and 6. Bradshaw 36), SL has (7. Vass and Murali 36 each), India has (Pathan 35).