PDA

View Full Version : Cricketers poised to leave before end of '07

karimjay.
December 24, 2006, 12:34 AM
I havent browsed on this forum that recently so moderators feel free to delete this thread if another thread is identical. I've been keeping up with the Warne and McGrath loss. It seems to me we will lose a number of very talented cricketers next year than any other year of recent times and I thought it would be a good idea of listing important cricketers that are probably going to retire (or get sacked) before the end of 2007 from ANY form of cricket. After a couple of hours of research I was very shocked to realize the loss we will face next year and feel I should share the list with you.
<o =""></o>
<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1 ="">Australia</st1></st1:country-region>
Justin Langer
<o =""></o>
Matthew Hayden
<o =""></o>
Adam Gilchrist
<o =""></o>
<st1 =""><st1:country-region w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:country-region></st1>
Javed Omar
<o =""></o>
Khaled Mashud
<o =""></o>
Habibul Bashar

Mohammad Rafique
<o =""></o>
<st1 =""><st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region></st1>
Marcus Trescothick
<o =""></o>
Michael Vaughan
<o =""></o>
<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1 ="">India</st1></st1:country-region>
Sourav Ganguly
<o =""></o>
Sachin Tendulkar
<o =""></o>
VVS Laxman<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Virender Sehwag

Pakistan<o =""></o>
Inzamam-ul-Haq<o =""></o>

Sri Lanka<o =""></o>
Marvan Attapattu<o =""></o>
<o =""></o>
Sanath Jayasuriya
<o =""></o>
<st1 ="">West Indies</st1>
Brian Lara
<o =""></o>
As you can see, next year should be one of the biggest losses of great talents of the game in recent times. When I mentioned the point important players I meant important from my perspective. I am a true <st1:country-region w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:country-region> supporter living in <st1 =""><st1:city w:st="on">Sydney</st1:city>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region></st1>. That is why I have included players such as Javed Omar. I don’t know how you readers will find my topic and I’m sure I’ll experience disagreement from some of you, but this is a forum and I’m looking forward to reading your view on this topic.

prasad
December 24, 2006, 03:07 AM
sehwag,sachin,tresco,vaughan.....before 2007..dont think so.and smilar doubts over bashar and atapattu.

karimjay.
December 24, 2006, 06:52 AM
I know where your coming from with your views but I feel that unless Sachin and Vaughan don't get back to their best anytime soon their places will be taken by better in form players, so they may find it wiser to retire after one more golden inning and be remembered as great rather than playing out there days till they're considered ordinary.

I wasnt sure about Sehwag, but his out of form slump has gone on for a fair while now and if he doesnt get back into form soon retirement MAY be a smart option.

Trescothick. I really revel this guy. I wasnt sure about him either.

Habibul Bashar will move on soon I feel. BCB is doing well nuturing Shahriar Nafees and he's suddenly one of our less talented batsman now. With all the new determined faces in the Bangladesh team I'm expecting Bashar to be rested for awhile and then for a long, long time.

Attapattu. I just feel he no longer has anything to offer to world cricket. I think abit of a grudge is influencing my opinion because I never liked him, even when he was performing. I'd be someone who'd be happy to see a Sri Lankan line up without Marvans name permanently

Rabz
December 24, 2006, 10:44 AM
I think our generation is very very fortunate to be priviledged enough watch guys like Sachin, Lara, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Wasim Akram, Walsh , Ambrose and few many other guys who have retired in the past few years...

Its a good time to realise they have given sooooooooo much to this game we all love so much and the we should thank them, each one of them, for thier contributions.

We are also going to watch the making of future superstars...like Micheal Clarke, Shahriar Nafees, Alistair Cook (hope im right), ..... sorry cant think of any other young and upcoming players from other countries... as i dont get to follow them much being here in sydney....

Yameen
December 24, 2006, 12:37 PM
i like this thread, gives us a chance to analyse whos gonna be missing from world cricket that have contributed immensly to the game for last decade or so..
i have doubts to wether tresco will continue with his own omission from the ashes squad and he also took himself out of the india tour earlier for personal reasons and i think it will be difficult for him to get back into the squad especially with england forming a good opening pair in cooky n strauss..i dont see vaughan retiring however as hes got a lot to catch up on as he has been absent for over a year now so will be eager to get back n havin a go for a another couple of years, as he has been called up for the onedayers coming up and also in line for captaincy..
ur right, we may be seeing the back of langer n hayden in 2007 but cant see gilly goin, as hes in great shape n form n who knows, will be around for the next ashes?
about the indian batsmen u mentioned, it will be unlikely for any of them to retire especially sehwag, although one more slump in form for ganguly will probably end his career, n i jus dont see laxman n tendu goin yet in the test match form of the game, but maybe in the one day form as the upcoming WC shud be the last one for them , n they wud need to start lookin for new and permanent batters ready for the WC in 2011..jayasuriya n lara definetly goin, dont knw about inzy or atapattu..
sadly we may see the end for rafiquein 2007, but i reckon bash, JO n mashud gonna be hangin round for another 2 yrs max as bangladesh do well with experienced players in the lineup n shud stay to help out the yungsters more so they r fully ready to win the world cup 2011..

Sovik
December 24, 2006, 06:20 PM
lara will retire only from odi and he will continue his test career for a year or so. but sachin will not retire after 2007.

al Furqaan
December 25, 2006, 07:53 PM
sachin stays, as does bashar, rafiq and pilot, lara will leaves teh ODI scene...and i'm hoping Murali and Vaas and Jayasuriya leave soon also...SL will be weak!

Bancan
December 25, 2006, 07:56 PM
i m hoping none of the great players ever leave. but u cant help it.

TheWatcher
January 5, 2007, 10:14 AM
Players that I think have strong chances to retire from one day cricket shortly after the coming world cup-

Australia
Glenn McGrath (already announced his intention)
Matthew Hayden

Bangladesh
Mohammad Rafique

England
Harmison already retired from ODI, I don't think anyone else from this team wants to.

India
It will be good time for Ganguly (if he gets the chance to play in an ODI again) and Tendulkar to retire, not sure if they will.

New Zealand
Nathan Astle

Pakistan
Inzamam-ul-Haq

Sri Lanka
Sanath Jayasuriya

West Indies
Brian Lara (already announced his intention)

Tigers_eye
January 5, 2007, 10:43 AM
I say Pollock, Kallis also walks after the WI series (home) 2007.

TheWatcher
January 5, 2007, 05:55 PM
I say Pollock, Kallis also walks after the WI series (home) 2007.
I don't think Kallis is quiting so soon. Pollock is actually considering to retire from Test cricket to prolong his ODI career.

karimjay.
January 5, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm quite sure Trescothicks played his last game. He's got a disease that can only be cured in time: Depression. It's not healthy for him to be playing under national pressure. I think Pollock and Kallis arent going to retire before 2008. I want Mashud gone and I hope Mushfiqur replaces him permanently. I'm sure Bashar will retire within two years.

TheWatcher
January 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
Astle retires even before world cup !!! (http://usa.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/277665.html)

Farhad
January 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
Wanted to end it on a high note i guess.......After his performance in his last match......But i hate it when ppl announce their retirement after their last match........Terrible way to end it IMO

karimjay.
January 26, 2007, 03:00 AM
Oh my god. That's a hard hit for NZ. Lets just hope Fleming isnt experiencing the same thoughts as Astle. He's certainly playing no better.

TheWatcher
March 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
Inzamam just announced his retiremen-

Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/286039.html)

Xavier
March 18, 2007, 07:29 PM
There is a whole generation of cricket greatest that is getting close to retirement just after the wc or some time later. Some already left in the last two years (Cairns, Astle, Warne, Langer...). It won't be easy to find replacements for such talented cricketers... looking at the youth coming on it looks clear that Bangladesh is by far the team with the brightest talents rising!

TheWatcher
March 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
Rumor in the air is that Anil Kumble will announce his retirement from ODI format in a day or two.

TheWatcher
April 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
Ian Bradshaw (WI) also announced his retirement.

TheWatcher
April 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
Russel Arnold (SL) announced that he will retire from international cricket after the WC final.