PDA

View Full Version : A case for Tamim Iqbal

shujan
December 25, 2006, 02:46 PM
Tamim Iqbal is a prolific batsman. His numbers in first class and domestic cricket is very impressive. He should get a chance to prove himself before WC. He is an opener, but given his ability he can play other position as well. He is a very promising young batsman. Stat source is cricinfo.com.

Full name Tamim Iqbal Khan
Born March 20, 1989, Chittagong
Current age 17 years 280 days
Major teams <nobr>Bangladesh Under-19s,</nobr> <nobr>Chittagong Division</nobr>
Batting style Left-hand bat

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="profiles-stats-heading" height="16"> Batting and fielding averages</td></tr> </tbody> </table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr align="right" bgcolor="#cccccc" height="17"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">class</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> mat</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> inns</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> no</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> runs</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> hs</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> ave</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> bf</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> sr</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 100</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 50</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> ct</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> st</td></tr> <tr align="right" valign="top"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">First-class</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 12</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 20</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 1</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 824</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 118</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 43.36</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 1021</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 80.70</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 2</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 5</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 4</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td></tr> <tr align="right" valign="top"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">List A</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 7</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 7</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 123</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 43</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 17.57</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 167</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 73.65</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 3</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Profile Tamim Iqbal is Bangladesh's most assured batsman, having scored 474 runs in his 12 matches for the U19 team. His most notable innings came against England at the end of last year when he smashed 112 from just 71 balls to help Bangladesh cruise to victory. He has a healthy average of over 43 and a most impressive strike rate scoring 109.72 runs for every 100 balls faced.
Iqbal is one of the younger members of the squad, having still not reached his 17th birthday, however he already looks like he has a bright future in international cricket ahead of him and could be one of the stars of the U19 World Cup in Sri Lanka in February.
Chris Oliver January 2006

Kabir
December 25, 2006, 03:00 PM
Great work Shujan bhai. But there're a few things we need to understand here. First, there isn't enough time before WC for the team to test any new talent. And second, lets take it easy on him brother :). He's only 16+, has a lot of time ahead of him. Rushing him into the squad will make another Ashraful out of him. Let him play U-19 until he's 19, and then if need be...he should be considered. Making him work his way up will remind him of the value of playing good cricket. And third, having him in the U-19 for a while will also make the U-19 stronger, motivate other players to play better, and make the challenge stronger for other players to make a case for themselves. So lets wait and give them the chance to prove themselves and their maturity :)

Farhad
December 25, 2006, 03:06 PM
Definitely an exciting prospect, seems to be in great form as of late. Even though his List A matches have been rather dissapointing, his most recent one was in the 2005-2006 season. The reason im rooting for him is because he is one of the few quick scorers we have, which shows confidence, something our team definitely lacks against greater teams (That family's sure got talent!). Although, the only place he should fill right now should be in the A team against England A. We cant afford to experiment in the WC, even if he does well in the A series.

Omio
December 25, 2006, 03:54 PM
I think we need to give him more time to make him more perfect ...

Mav
December 25, 2006, 04:05 PM
not enough exposure yet in the first class and A level.
Plus his A level average is not that impressive yet. Let him play 100+ matches more in both level and if he can maintain a good average, then BCB should give him chance on national level.

Kabir
December 25, 2006, 04:11 PM
Yup...his average in both these levels is something I completely ignored. That's also a point to note.

Arnab
December 25, 2006, 04:32 PM
not enough exposure yet in the first class and A level.
Plus his A level average is not that impressive yet. Let him play 100+ matches more in both level and if he can maintain a good average, then BCB should give him chance on national level.

100+ matches? That's crazy.

Mav
December 25, 2006, 04:59 PM
100+ matches? That's crazy.

Not at all crazy. You want someone who is ready, not someone who is hitting 200 strike rate. I have seen many hitters in many corners of dhaka but consistency is what we need for our national side. Someone like Rahul dravid, someone capable of playing many shots like Tendulkar, Gilchrits..

Plus, he is still a kid, if he plays 50 matches a year, on both level, within 2 years he will grow a bit mature too .

Farhad
December 25, 2006, 05:07 PM
100+ matches??I dont think there are many players in the national team right now who played that many before getting in.....I think the selectors are gonna give him a chance sooner than you think, but I, for now, have no thoughts on the matter. I do however think he should be given a chance if we have more than 3 batsmen that are injured/out of form, a scenario that is highly unlikely in short time.

kalpurush
December 25, 2006, 05:13 PM
He might be selected for BD - A against England - A in coming February 2007 which would provide him and us as well where he belongs now!?

shujan
December 25, 2006, 05:23 PM
Did Tamim go to Australia for training in Cricket Australia Centre of Excellence ? If I can remember correctly, Mehrab Hossain Jr went to Australia.

Is anybody going to train in Cricket Australia Centre of Excellence ? Mcinnes started the process which helped our cricketers a lot. I hope the process continue.

Tamim is one of the good thing waiting for Bangladesh cricket. I think Bangladesh should take him as a team member in case of injury replacement.

Spitfire_x86
December 25, 2006, 05:49 PM
Yup...his average in both these levels is something I completely ignored. That's also a point to note.
Who cares about List A average? If he can maintain his 40-50 average in FC, then his List A average shouldn't matter at all. How many BD cricketers averaged 40-50 in FC cricket? IMO, if he's really that good then his List A average is bound to improve.

shujan
December 25, 2006, 06:01 PM
Definitely an exciting prospect, seems to be in great form as of late. Even though his List A matches have been rather dissapointing, his most recent one was in the 2005-2006 season. The reason im rooting for him is because he is one of the few quick scorers we have, which shows confidence, something our team definitely lacks against greater teams (That family's sure got talent!). Although, the only place he should fill right now should be in the A team against England A. We cant afford to experiment in the WC, even if he does well in the A series.

He is in excellent form right now. If Bangladesh can ride his good form 3 more months that would be great. His bat is screaming to include him in the squad. It is hard to ignore. He is scoring lots of run in A team and 20/20 as well.

BangladeshFan
December 26, 2006, 08:28 AM
if someone is good enough then age should not be a barrier. there are 16 year old test centurians played for india or pakistan and this guy is already 18. selectors can test him out by letting him bat against bowlers like mash, shahadat, rafiq and see how he handles them. if he is that good and quick scorer, would be a valuable asset in the opening slot.

akabir77
December 26, 2006, 10:16 AM
He is not ready period come back after one/two years.

Fans here act like if we don't use someone with good form then he will lose that form in two three months and we will miss his service. where as if we are patient with him noting like rokon or ash will happen ever. not every one is tandulker you know. his batting against A list teams r not that good. If he was tandu caliber then his List A scores should have been higher. So that tells me that we should wait for him to grow up a little bit. and if he is good in 2 3 years he will be better.

Tokyobreeze
December 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
I would say - Not so early with Tamim.If he is a quick scorer, he might get his call for 20-20 World Cup in coming year.And, even if he performs better there lets give him time to become consitent performer for A-team.Yeah we would love to have a quick scorer in team, but we are not lacking big strikers.Rather we need a consistent player who plays to the situation, hits when necessary and rotate strike when necessary.To reach that level, I would give Tamim more time.

cricman
December 26, 2006, 02:03 PM
if someone is good enough then age should not be a barrier. there are 16 year old test centurians played for india or pakistan and this guy is already 18.

There is 16 year old Test Centurian that plays for Bangladesh, you know?

Farhad
December 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah we would love to have a quick scorer in team, but we are not lacking big strikers.Rather we need a consistent player who plays to the situation, hits when necessary and rotate strike when necessary.To reach that level, I would give Tamim more time.

I would disagree, we are lacking quality batsmen with a strike rate of over 100. I agree with everyone who says he needs more time, but 2 years is out of the question. If he continues to score as high as he does (105 against the same team many of our national players struggled against), his age should not be a factor at all. But ofcourse, only if he does.

shujan
December 26, 2006, 02:45 PM
Tamim is in good form right now. He is getting runs in bunch in every form of cricket he is playing. If he can maintain his average in WC, that is 40/45 quick runs per game. Bangladesh need quick runs against India and Srilanka.I fail to see how inclusion in WC harms Tamim in his career. If he can get 40+ run in WC that is good for his confidence, if not it is still be a positive experince to play in a WC for him.He is not that much younger then Rahim and Reza. He is 18 during WC.

Comparing Tamim with Ash is not a valid comparison. Ash comes into national team from domestic league. He does not have the high performance training like Tamim, Shahreer and Rahim to start with. This is the most fundamental difference. Kids comming from u19 program has much more skill and cricket temperament then players comming from domestic leage as u19 players are coached by Australian coaches to begin with. Dev Whatmore hints as such. Tamim should not have that much difficulty to face the big boys. His performance is telling that he is ready.

Cheers!

Farhad
December 26, 2006, 03:07 PM
Im almost certain he's going to be chosen for the England A series for the BD A team, he definitely should be.......I still dont think he should be a candidate for the WC, a debut in matches as high-profile as those is simply asking too much. But i do think he should be considered in a match in 2007, that is if he continues his good form....

shujan
December 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
Im almost certain he's going to be chosen for the England A series for the BD A team, he definitely should be.......I still dont think he should be a candidate for the WC, a debut in matches as high-profile as those is simply asking too much. But i do think he should be considered in a match in 2007, that is if he continues his good form....

I think so too.. Present Banladesh team is good as well. It is a good thing that we have the luxery to be patient with Tamim.

In WC we need a third pacer. If crease is seamer friendly we need a third pacer. right now we have Mash, Shahadat as pacer and Rafiq, Razzaq , Saqib as slow orthodox. So according to bowling need Tamim does not fit in. Tamim's days are coming soon I hope.

rafiq
December 26, 2006, 03:34 PM
btw Tamim must be at least 21 going by his older brother Nafees' age. Officially he may be whatever it says....

pagol-chagol
December 26, 2006, 03:54 PM
Why not just skip Tamim and all his younger brothers, except the youngest one, and just pick the little one as our opener. :hairpull:

TheWatcher
December 26, 2006, 06:20 PM
I will probably join the Tamim bandwagon if he can do well on Mirpur. So far, he has proven himself only a flat-track bully.

Rihaad The Man
December 26, 2006, 09:30 PM
Nafis Iqbal was same in the beginning :) but in a sudden , everything collapsed .

He's the younger brother of him :) ........

Kabir
December 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
btw Tamim must be at least 21 going by his older brother Nafees' age. Officially he may be whatever it says....

I don't think many people care enough for that. Be it 17 or 21, we should still wait until he's ready, and the team is mature enough to bring new people in.

BagherBacha
December 26, 2006, 10:17 PM
I will probably join the Tamim bandwagon if he can do well on Mirpur. So far, he has proven himself only a flat-track bully.

right on the money. i mentioned that on some other thread.

Farhad
December 26, 2006, 10:47 PM
We should wait and see if Habib continues his bad form, in which case he should retire. Tamim should be vying for that spot, and if he can prove himself for another 4-6 months, why not?

thebest
December 26, 2006, 11:50 PM
Tamim is a choker just like Tusher. If you need proof look at U19 WC. In all matches he flopped but scored century in pratice match. Our present opening pair is fine. No need for Tamim (May be in 20-20)

shujan
December 26, 2006, 11:58 PM
Tamim is a choker just like Tusher. If you need proof look at U19 WC. In all matches he flopped but scored century in pratice match. Our present opening pair is fine. No need for Tamim (May be in 20-20)

He was the newest and the youngest member in u19 team. That may have caused him some jitter. That did not qualify him as choker. In American sports it is called rookie mistake. He will give the bowlers jitter now.
Cheers!

jeesh
December 27, 2006, 12:52 AM
He needs time. I believe his brother was brought on a bit too early. He needs to play a few seasons in the domestic leagues and needs to be tested playing for the A team and so on.

Farhad
December 27, 2006, 02:12 AM
Thats what seems to be the greatest reason people find for not adding him to the team, his brother was brought on to the team too early, but that doesnt say anything at all about Tamim specifically, I think he should be tested against England A in the BD A team...

gravitY
December 27, 2006, 02:47 AM
Please check Wasim Jaffer's first class run, yet he played only 2 ODI's. This should give some clue as to how matured a player should be before being picked up for national squad. Tamim is a real prospect, but I find absolutely no reason to see him in WC.

Wasim Jaffer
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc height=17><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> mat</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> inns</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> no</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> runs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> hs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ave</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> bf</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> sr</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 100</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 4s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> ct</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> st</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>Tests</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 15</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 28</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 896</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 212</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 32.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1976</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 45.34</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 6</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 124</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 15</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 10</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 10</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 5.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 23</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 43.47</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>First-class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 129</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 214</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 23</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 9694</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 314*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 50.75</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 27</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 45</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 149</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>List A</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 46</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 46</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1427</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 116*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 33.18</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 13</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> </TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 18</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mav
December 27, 2006, 03:22 AM
Please check Wasim Jaffer's first class run, yet he played only 2 ODI's. This should give some clue as to how matured a player should be before being picked up for national squad. Tamim is a real prospect, but I find absolutely no reason to see him in WC.

Wasim Jaffer
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr align="right" bgcolor="#cccccc" height="17"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">class</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> mat</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> inns</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> no</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> runs</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> hs</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> ave</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> bf</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> sr</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 100</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 50</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 4s</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 6s</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> ct</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> st</td></tr><tr align="right" valign="top"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Tests</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 15</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 28</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 896</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 212</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 32.00</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 1976</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 45.34</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 2</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 6</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 124</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 1</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 15</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td></tr><tr align="right" valign="top"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">ODIs</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 2</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 2</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 10</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 10</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 5.00</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 23</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 43.47</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 2</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td></tr><tr align="right" valign="top"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">First-class</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 129</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 214</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 23</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 9694</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 314*</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 50.75</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 27</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 45</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 149</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td></tr><tr align="right" valign="top"><td class="profiles-stats-data" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">List A</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 46</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 46</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 3</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 1427</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 116*</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 33.18</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 1</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 13</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> </td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 18</td><td class="profiles-stats-data" nowrap="nowrap"> 0</td></tr></tbody></table>

Thanks.
But we r hujuge Bangali.
We dont understand that. Tamim Tamim - amra achi tomar shathe.

people, get some ideas from the better teams of the world and learn something.

Spitfire_x86
December 27, 2006, 04:39 AM
Please check Wasim Jaffer's first class run, yet he played only 2 ODI's. This should give some clue as to how matured a player should be before being picked up for national squad.
Read this article (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/cricinfomagazine/content/story/264607.html)

Wasim Jaffer was never considered a good ODI batsman, that's why he played just two ODIs so far. He made his test debut against South Africa in 2000, when he was 22 years old.

Rabz
December 28, 2006, 07:02 AM
As said earlier, he is a good prospect..but no need to rush him in...
the kid is only around 20 years of age..
still plenty of time for him...

let him play regular matches in A team, prove himself, show consistent performance in the FC games as well,,, im sure he will make his way in the national team...
but till then.... just have a bit of patience....

Omio
December 28, 2006, 07:22 AM
But its apparent to me that he would be better than M.JR,

kalpurush
December 28, 2006, 09:06 PM
Well, he would be playing twenty20 against Mahamedan tonight. Lets see how he is?!

AsifTheManRahman
December 29, 2006, 01:36 AM
i hope this hasn't been posted before:

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/69800/69820.jpg
Old DOHS' opening batsman Tamim Iqbal plays one on the on-side during his 41-ball 67 against Partex SC in the KAI-Altech Premier Division 20/20 Cricket League 2006-07, Dhanmondi, December 20, 2006

-Cricinfo

mhferdaus
December 29, 2006, 03:05 AM
patience ... he should be slided in in about 1 to 2 years, we need a little bit of stability in our team right now, and somehow wish that Farhad would be called back, perhaps if Mashud retires from ODI team and Bashar in about 2 years then we can have Mushfique and Farhad in the middle, they did seem good single takers and shot makers at the same time, crucial for middle overs.

Just Imagine ... Full potential Shahriar Nafees, then Full potential Mehrab/ Tamim, then Full potential Aftab, then Full potential Saqib ( with avg like 45 ), then Full potential Farhad then Duely matured Mushfique ... you get the idea, a real horrible sight for the opponents ( and scary for the bolwers :D ) in the near future INSHA-ALLAH, I just hope they do not become as inconsistent as the Pakistan team, and consistently does good, like the Aussie team ( without cheating :D ).

TheWatcher
December 29, 2006, 06:24 AM
Technically, Tamim did not look any better than Razzak as a batsman. He hits it hard, but lacks control over his shots, that too against some very poor bowling.

pagol-chagol
December 29, 2006, 12:03 PM
Technically, Tamim did not look any better than Razzak as a batsman. He hits it hard, but lacks control over his shots, that too against some very poor bowling.

Yes. Tamim has a long way to go. Superior reflex and power can only take you so far. Having said that he is much better than Razzak. After watching him last night, I have lowered my high hopes about him, a lot.

Spitfire_x86
December 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
I didn't watch Tamim's batting. If he's Rokon jnr then we shouldn't give him chance at all (not even in 20-20 international)

cricketboy
December 29, 2006, 03:47 PM
We should send him to play minor county cricket in England next year and see how does he do.

sensible
December 29, 2006, 04:22 PM
A lot of our current players came into the national team too early. But now we have a sort of set team and we can afford to give the new players more time in the pipeline to prepare them for the big league. Think about players in Australia or England....those guys have to wait for so long before coming to the national side. It's good that we now have a number of players with high potential waiting and competing for a call in the national team. I think we should take enough time before we include them. Also, it is important that the pipeline of players do not dry-out. BCB should spend more time and money in making sure of that. If we can do that, the future of Bangladesh cricket is bright.

thebest
December 29, 2006, 09:06 PM
Numbers do not tell the whole story. Yesterday was a perfect example. Nadif scored much less than Tamim. But I was more impressed with Nadif than Tamim (I watch the match). Tamim is simply brute power. Nothing else. Completly agreed with P-C that he has long way to go even for getting consideration.

Farhad
January 13, 2007, 05:52 PM
Thought I would bring this back after Tamims recent knock against Partex. Has anybody changed their minds? I personally havent changed mine, but if he keeps playing even close to how he's playing right now, why not? Im talking about after the WC of course. It doesnt matter if he isnt too elegant in his strokeplay, he keeps getting the results, even if it IS against poor opposition. The fact is, he is performing (result-wise) much better than even the national players (and yes, i know partex isnt too great a team) and if he can keep doing that for the months to come, hell yeah!

Shafin
January 13, 2007, 11:32 PM
Thought I would bring this back after Tamims recent knock against Partex. Has anybody changed their minds? I personally havent changed mine, but if he keeps playing even close to how he's playing right now, why not? Im talking about after the WC of course. It doesnt matter if he isnt too elegant in his strokeplay, he keeps getting the results, even if it IS against poor opposition. The fact is, he is performing (result-wise) much better than even the national players (and yes, i know partex isnt too great a team) and if he can keep doing that for the months to come, hell yeah!
The problem is,performing at National LEvel and international level are two different things,otherwise,we'd have Faisal Hossain and HAsibul Hossain Shanto in our team.

However,Tamim will get his chance.Let's see if he can utilize that

mshakir56
January 14, 2007, 01:40 AM
Guys, As far as I am concerned, Tamim Iqbal is a far better batsman than Mehrab Hossain Jr. If Mehrab is ready to play in the world cup then so is Tamim.

shujan
January 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
<table id="Score2_DisplayTable" bgcolor="White" border="0" bordercolor="#0000e0" height="19" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><th class="scorehead" align="left">Batsman</th><th class="scorehead" align="left">Status</th><th class="scorehead" align="center">Runs</th><th class="scorehead" align="center">Balls</th><th class="scorehead" align="center">4's</th><th class="scorehead" align="center">6's</th><th class="scorehead" align="center">S.Rate</th> </tr><tr> <td class="scoreline">Tamim Iqbal Khan</td><td class="scoreline">c Rashed Hanif b Rezaul Haque Nayeem</td><td class="scoreline" align="center">188</td><td class="scoreline" align="center">160</td><td class="scoreline" align="center">12</td><td class="scoreline" align="center">12</td><td class="scoreline" align="center">117.50</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Just having strength to hit 12 6's and 12 4's in an ODI inning should bring you in the National team. Tamim should get some time with the bat in Zimbabwe to see whether he can do the same or close in internationl cricket. He needs all the opportunity to establish himself in the international cricket.

Here is a probable line up

1) Shahreer
2) Mehrab
3) Aftab
4) Tamim

Spitfire_x86
January 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
One question: Which ground was used for this match? I hope it's not Dhanmondi.

Miraz
January 14, 2007, 10:43 AM
One question: Which ground was used for this match? I hope it's not Dhanmondi.

It was Fatullah.

Kabir
January 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Nera bel tolay ekbar jay...but nera Bangladeshi hoile bar bar jaye. Yes he scored 188, but no, he's not ready for international cricket yet. What we're yet to learn is about patience...he's only 17/18 now...and he's got an ample amount of time to play. Can we be a little patient and hold up these player additions before WC unless it's really really cruicial for the team's success right now? And from what it looks right now, we don't really need new players at the moment. Instead of calling him for ODI team for Zimbabwe, he should be called for A-team against England at best.

shujan
January 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
Nera bel tolay ekbar jay...but nera Bangladeshi hoile bar bar jaye. Yes he scored 188, but no, he's not ready for international cricket yet. What we're yet to learn is about patience...he's only 17/18 now...and he's got an ample amount of time to play. Can we be a little patient and hold up these player additions before WC unless it's really really cruicial for the team's success right now? And from what it looks right now, we don't really need new players at the moment. Instead of calling him for ODI team for Zimbabwe, he should be called for A-team against England at best.

We should not dismiss him just because he is 17. How many players in our national team has the physical fitness to score 12 6's and 12 4's at fatullah in 50 overs. He is physically fitter then recent u19 players who are playing in our national team. Why not give him a chance in Zimbabwe and lets see what happens???

We always need better player. Whitewashing depleted Zimbabwe team may not be enough in WC against India and Srilanka.

Kabir
January 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
We should not dismiss him just because he is 17. How many players in our national team has the physical fitness to score 12 6's and 12 4's at fatullah in 50 overs. He is physically fitter then recent u19 players who are playing in our national team. Why not give him a chance in Zimbabwe and lets see what happens???

We always need better player. Whitewashing depleted Zimbabwe team may not be enough in WC against India and Srilanka.

But chances are that if we do so, we'll create a second Ashraful. We do need better players, but we're not in a situation to experiment with them...the byproduct of which could be an Ashraful-type waste.

Farhad
January 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
My thoughts exactly Kabir, but I do think he should be slowly tested in higher levels, and if he can keep doing what he is now, he should be given a chance this year. I dont think he should be given a chance now, and definitely not in the WC. I also saw the parallel between Tamim and Ashraful, but then if you think about it, Ashraful didnt have this consistency before being included in the squad in his debut series against SL.

capslock
January 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
I remember his older brother was drafted into the National Team as soon as he scored a century against England in a practice game, where is he now?

Can we please please stop this subcontinental practice of throwing a young player to the wolves of international cricket as soon as they show a glimmer of promise? It doesn't do the player any favours, and it doesn't do the team any favours, all it does is keep our domestic league from becoming more competitive.

Hatebreed
January 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
Tamim deserves his place in the squad leaving for Zimbabwe. I hope they will use him. Not all batsman are cut out for technique or style. Sometimes sheer power and great reflex is good enough for ODI cricket. If he fails to succeed on more than one ocassion, he should be dropped before further experimentation. Even if he succeeds it shouldn't guarantee his place in the WC squad. He should play as much FC cricket as possible, BCB send him to India, England, wherever there is opportunity to play competitive cricket.

Farhad
January 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
The main argument anyone has about not drafting him into the team is his brother. Nafis did not show the consistency young Tamim is showing, neither did any of the other players that failed once brought up to the national side. Tamim is NOT Nafis and should be treated as a separate individual.

bdbazar_com
January 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
I think BD needs someone on opening slot who can score run quickly or we have no chance in WI

akabir77
January 14, 2007, 03:09 PM
stop giving tickets to players who scores some 100's in NCL. let them play in A team first. let them score there. we just got 2 players in opening after long time. WHat happens if he fails? what will happen to the guy (mehrab) who got the job for 2/3 games and then got dropped even before he didn't do bad (yah he played slow but that was team plan, if we drop some one after playing acording to the game plan then next time people will try to secure their place despite of the situation in the middle...)

sadi
January 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
We just don't learn, do we? Where did you guys see consistency? In order for someone to have some consistency, he needs to play a few games. Its only the second game of the season and some people are already lebeling him as a consistent performer. Let him play against some good teams and score some runs and then we can think about drafting him into the squad.

Omio
January 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
I think Tamim will b great asset for our team,
He has got everything right just need proper maintaince,

Mohiul
January 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
I think BCB should consider the fact relating to Shewag in India. B. Shewag can hit balls with tremendous power but technically isn't a good batsman. That's why initially he had success but in the long run he's a loser. At this point I would like to request BCB that pls don't make a premature decision about him, nurture his batting techniques to make him a sound batsman. There is no doubt that he is a big hitter but only big hitting shouldn't be the only criteria to be in an odi team.

AsifTheManRahman
January 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
one good reason why tamim shouldn't be in the national team anytime soon: from what i've heard about him, he's too flashy. against a half decent bowling attack, he is more likely to fall earlier than later, because although 12 4's and 12 6's sound sweet and none of our national players seem to have done it recently (or ever), when exposed to quality bowling, it is the ones who know to pick the bad balls and don't just go for anything that will survive.

Farhad
January 14, 2007, 08:50 PM
one good reason why tamim shouldn't be in the national team anytime soon: from what i've heard about him, he's too flashy. against a half decent bowling attack, he is more likely to fall earlier than later, because although 12 4's and 12 6's sound sweet and none of our national players seem to have done it recently (or ever), when exposed to quality bowling, it is the ones who know to pick the bad balls and don't just go for anything that will survive.

Thats why its better to test him in the A-team. If he keeps playing in the domestic tournaments like some people are proposing, we may never know.

AsifTheManRahman
January 14, 2007, 09:56 PM
well yeah, we should definitely test him out as much as we can, but not in the national team as many people are suggesting.

Imteaz
January 15, 2007, 12:15 AM
Tamim Should Get Chance in Comming Zimbabwe Series According to His Performance in Domestic Cricket. If He Perform Something Extra Ordinary, Only Than He Should be Selected in WC Team. But only for His Domestic Performance He should Not be Selected in WC Team. WC is a Different Arena. Only Experienced Cricketer Should Get Chance.

In 2003 Our Selectors did a Great Mistake by Avoiding Experienced Cricketers. We all Know the Result of 2003. So Domestic Performance should not be the Criteria to be Selected in WC Team.

BanglaCool
January 15, 2007, 06:26 AM
If Ashraful is brought into the team after observing his performance for two consecutive Domestic matches, then people can argue that domestic matches *are* used to judge the quality and form of a player.

akabir77
January 15, 2007, 10:45 AM
If Ashraful is brought into the team after observing his performance for two consecutive Domestic matches, then people can argue that domestic matches *are* used to judge the quality and form of a player.

Its true for some one who has already played the highest level and done well.

al Furqaan
January 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
it might be OK to test tamim out against zimbabwe, bermuda, and canada...but regardless of his performance he shouldn't be considered for the world cup.

this ruins players...our players need to know that they have to work hard to make it to the national side...a single one off double century is not enough.

unfortunately we couldn't do that before because we really couldn't afford it one way or the other. thats why we have the ashraful problems that we have...

hopefully now it will change.

sunniath
January 15, 2007, 07:19 PM
he reminds me of akram in his early years and harunur rashid liton.he should be in the" A" side for the next year or so.i would like to see his performance in more lively pitches.personally, i think we need a stable batsman at the top order.aftab is doing well in his role as a hard hitter.too many reckless batsmen will create pressure for the rest of the batsmen.nafees should have a partner who will give him assurance and allow him to play his natural game.a hard hitter will put extra responsibility on nafess and that may hamper his natural game.

FagunerAgun
January 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
Young, talented emerging new players are like ‘the golden eggs in a goose’. If you are greedy and cut the belly of the goose to get them early, you will not find all the golden eggs, may be one or two. So be patient and let these young talented players grow, flourish and excel. No need to throw any young players in WC when some other better choices are available. If you don’t cut the belly, the goose will lay all the golden eggs gradually in the future.:confused:

We should be happy with our cricket future :-* as a lot of young talented cricketers are emerging, and they keep coming. This should not put us under stress.:doh:

Fazal
January 16, 2007, 11:49 AM
Young, talented emerging new players are like ‘the golden eggs in a goose’. If you are greedy and cut the belly of the goose to get them early, you will not find all the golden eggs, may be one or two.

True.... but on the other hand if you are just too patient and don't take necessary action and just wait and wait.... that can be also bad for the golden egg (which will be rotten) or bad for the health of pregnent Mother Goose.

Sovik
January 9, 2008, 12:05 PM
he hasn't done any worse than other players and all the matches he played are against quality opponents