PDA

View Full Version : Bengalis in England

karimjay.
January 3, 2007, 07:22 AM
Recently I've been trying to find Bengalis nearing the international arena in England. I'm annoyed that so many Pakistanis' have got into the team and a few Indians as well but no Bengalis' as far as I know. I was told Nasser Hussain is Bengali but I'm not sure about that. Does anyone know? Also are there any Bengalis' in any county sides or England U-19 or something like that. I just find it an exciting prospect of watching a Bengali playing in another country. Players such as Adil Rashid...I've heard he's a brilliant prospect for England and his name gives it away that his background is of the subcontinent, but no word on his actual natio. Can anyone clear these things up for me?

pilot fan
January 3, 2007, 07:43 AM
nasser was born in mubai

zahid
January 3, 2007, 07:56 AM
Your thread doesn't feel right over here.

And you might wnat to check your post. I couldn't make heads or tails of what u r trying to say.

gatekeeper
January 3, 2007, 08:32 AM
nasser was born in mubai

Are you sure? I thaught he was born in Madras.

gatekeeper
January 3, 2007, 08:34 AM
Some years back on a business trip to London I met this man from Sylhet and he explained that in his neighborhood there are a lot of Sylhetis but very few Bengalis!! I'm wondering if you in this sort of predicament.

Kabir
January 3, 2007, 08:48 AM
Is there a policy that tells that the England team should have a diversified team, in terms of where their players are from? If there is, there would have to be over 100 countries that they have to satisfy in this world. So please, these kinds of threads are just misleading at the least...I thought Bangladesh team is touring England, and was starting to get excited. But...

al Furqaan
January 3, 2007, 12:49 PM
Recently I've been trying to find Bengalis nearing the international arena in England. I'm annoyed that so many Pakistanis' have got into the team and a few Indians as well but no Bengalis' as far as I know. I was told Nasser Hussain is Bengali but I'm not sure about that. Does anyone know? Also are there any Bengalis' in any county sides or England U-19 or something like that. I just find it an exciting prospect of watching a Bengali playing in another country. Players such as Adil Rashid...I've heard he's a brilliant prospect for England and his name gives it away that his background is of the subcontinent, but no word on his actual natio. Can anyone clear these things up for me?

jahid ahmed will play for essex, he took 4-32 in a OD game against a full strenght sri lanka team last summer. he bowls medium pace.

uss01
January 3, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah what's your problem man. You seem to love using the word "bengali" over and over again. If you want to find about bengalis playing in england, try the Bengali forums. This one is about Bangladesh cricket. This might not be an appropriate forum for what you're trying to find out. And also, remember not all of us are pure bengalis in Bangladesh.

Your thread doesn't feel right over here.

And you might wnat to check your post. I couldn't make heads or tails of what u r trying to say.

Tigers_eye
January 3, 2007, 04:59 PM
Ding dong!! Post of the day!!
Some years back on a business trip to London I met this man from Sylhet and he explained that in his neighborhood there are a lot of Sylhetis but very few Bengalis!! I'm wondering if you in this sort of predicament.

layperson
January 3, 2007, 05:25 PM
Ding dong!! Post of the day!!

:-D

Farhad
January 3, 2007, 06:42 PM
Give the guy a break, it kinda is related to BD cricket (in a very distant way). There is Jahid Ahmed who could play for Essex after a pretty decent show against SL. But i think thats it. As for Nasser Hussein, he is almost definitely not from BD.

karimjay.
January 3, 2007, 08:44 PM
Give the guy a break, it kinda is related to BD cricket (in a very distant way). There is Jahid Ahmed who could play for Essex after a pretty decent show against SL. But i think thats it. As for Nasser Hussein, he is almost definitely not from BD.

Thankyou! Yeah I've heard of a Jahid Ahmed but I was meaning to find out where he came from. You guys need to chill out. I just asked a question, if you don't have an answer don't bother saying anything. I don't care how irrelevant my topic is to your life and I'm sorry that I wasted your precious time when you read my first post.

Bancan
January 3, 2007, 08:46 PM
wow . wats wrong with people. y r u guys so hot headed. calm down.

AsifTheManRahman
January 3, 2007, 08:50 PM
I was told Nasser Hussain is Bengali but I'm not sure about that.

so was shakespeare. his real name was sheikh pir, until the british changed history. :p

btw, the term is bangladeshi, not bengali or bangali. dada plays county too. :)

kaisermatin
January 3, 2007, 09:05 PM
In tune with Shakespear we might say:

To be a Bangali or not to be a Bengali that may be the answer for our cricket talent search in the UK. But what better incentives will they get in BD?

karimjay.
January 3, 2007, 09:06 PM
so was shakespeare. his real name was sheikh pir, until the british changed history. :p

Haha thats what I thought. But then again, his name is Hussain which is a very popular Bangladeshi last name, and isnt as popular among Pakistanis or Indians.

Sorry about the term Bengali that I've used, I forgot which term was correct.

Hatebreed
January 4, 2007, 12:17 AM
As far as name is concerned, anyone can tell "Adil Rashid" is of Pak origin.

Technically speaking, British-born Bangalis aren't Bangladeshis by nationality, but simply of Bangladeshi origin. We are still Bangali because it's our culture and we speak the language. If Jkrulz meant to distinguish Bangalis, he would have mentioned Sylhetis in England. Of course we know we're not talking about people from West Bengal, or else we'd have names like Ghosh, Mukhepadday, Chattergy and whatnot.

Thunder
January 4, 2007, 02:11 AM
We need a Wasim akram or Waqar Younis before Sajid Mahmood plays for England ! I think you've got my point! :-D

Shehwar
January 4, 2007, 03:28 AM

U rock man ! Couldnt agree more.

shujan
January 4, 2007, 11:59 PM
I am a Bangladeshi bengali, like Irish American, Italian American and Chinese American. Before the 1947 border we all are known as Bengali. Bengali is our culture, language and social identification. Bangladesh is our political identification which involve subset of Bengali, sylheti (As their language is different then Bengalis) and Chakma minorities.

karimjay.
January 5, 2007, 12:29 AM
I am a Bangladeshi bengali, like Irish American, Italian American and Chinese American. Before the 1947 border we all are known as Bengali. Bengali is our culture, language and social identification. Bangladesh is our political identification which involve subset of Bengali, sylheti (As their language is different then Bengalis) and Chakma minorities.
Wow.

RedEx
January 5, 2007, 05:32 AM
Dear JK Rulez my sincere apologies on behalf of these fools. One of them actually said that he couldnt figure out what you said my question to him is why? I had no problem understanding where you were coming from. Bro listen whole bunch of them aint got nuttin better to do just log in and look for reasons to pick on someone or to complain. Half of these fools dont even know what they write let alone grasp what you write. Since logging in is free they just roll up in here with the dictionary wide open and start dropping vocabularies. A fellow Bangladeshi cricket fan comes in to the forum with a reasonable question and gets snapped at. Only one fifth of the members actually put an effort to understand his question and did their best to answer. How is this not related to Cricket? One of our own forum memeber wants to know something that he is unaware of plzz help em out and if you cant dont drop no smart *** comments in the thread. It doesnt even have to be about cricket all the time we should help each other out regardless since we are here as bangladeshis and we all love cricket. Once again JK Rulez plzz accept my apologies on behalf of smart asses. I never thought about that but now that you brought it up it does sound interesting and I would love to find out if we have any Bangladeshi prospects in county cricket.

gatekeeper
January 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
Jkrulz and RedEx are the same person-I am willing to bet good money on it.

RedEx
January 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
If you bet the whole half dollar that u saved up from gate keeping then you on. I bet the president of the fools department and Gatekeeper is the same person and I bet my '06 Yamaha R1 on it...

gatekeeper
January 5, 2007, 03:42 PM
If you bet the whole half dollar that u saved up from gate keeping then you on. I bet the president of the fools department and Gatekeeper is the same person and I bet my '06 Yamaha R1 on it...

Oh no FedEx, 06 Yamaha R1 won't interst me......gotta come with something better. But thanks for the offer.

karimjay.
January 5, 2007, 10:06 PM
Oh no FedEx, 06 Yamaha R1 won't interst me......gotta come with something better. But thanks for the offer.

You're an idiot. I'll leave it at that.

gatekeeper
January 6, 2007, 12:53 AM
You're an idiot. I'll leave it at that.

Oh wow.....brilliant, this is all you could come up with?

karimjay.
January 6, 2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah I'm sorry. Normal people like me are extremely stupid and have horrible comebacks. But you, you caught me out right away. I have no life at all and I make more accounts on forums so it can look like I have back up..

So what about the bet? How much money is good money?

RedEx
January 6, 2007, 05:19 AM
Yamaha R1 is all I got for you I know you would rather have a Rikshaw so you can go back to your old job but they dont sell em in the East Coast. But perhaps me and JK rulz can cheap in and have one delivered from BD to your hometown so you can show off your only skill and leave everyone else alone. One bright thing happened out of all this, JK rulz just gave you a promotion to become an idiot from a fool. Since you know about FedEX I am sure you are also aware of their excellent service. How would you like to be wrapped in bubbles and get sent back to your nativeland amazon? I will pay for shipping thats the least I can do to put a smile in your familys face. I am sure they are going crazy looking for you all over the jungle trees.
We can go back and forth about this all day but funny thing is gatekeeper if you had a logical thread that made sense to me I be the first one on your thread to show you support. Jk rulz if this fool is dumb enough to bet then find out how much. If you see a cow dont wait too long to milk it...

Carte Blanche
January 6, 2007, 05:27 AM
Alright gentlemen, time-out!

Let's cool off our engines and stay on topic. Lay off the personal attacks too, please.

Bancan
January 6, 2007, 09:11 PM
hehe, u ppl shld go to Mtv's Yo momma

karimjay.
January 6, 2007, 09:29 PM
Reading all this is so funny. I can't wait till gatekeeper replies again. Yo momma..I think Jerry Springer would be more fun:)

...So anyone know anyone other than Jahid Ahmed?

zia
January 7, 2007, 12:51 AM
Thankyou! Yeah I've heard of a Jahid Ahmed but I was meaning to find out where he came from. You guys need to chill out. I just asked a question, if you don't have an answer don't bother saying anything. I don't care how irrelevant my topic is to your life and I'm sorry that I wasted your precious time when you read my first post.

Dont feel sorry. You have every right to ask about Bengali no matter where they live. I am glad that you care about us. That's all that matter. Keep it up, bro.:flag:

gatekeeper
January 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
Yamaha R1 is all I got for you I know you would rather have a Rikshaw so you can go back to your old job but they dont sell em in the East Coast. But perhaps me and JK rulz can cheap in and have one delivered from BD to your hometown so you can show off your only skill and leave everyone else alone. One bright thing happened out of all this, JK rulz just gave you a promotion to become an idiot from a fool. Since you know about FedEX I am sure you are also aware of their excellent service. How would you like to be wrapped in bubbles and get sent back to your nativeland amazon? I will pay for shipping thats the least I can do to put a smile in your familys face. I am sure they are going crazy looking for you all over the jungle trees.
We can go back and forth about this all day but funny thing is gatekeeper if you had a logical thread that made sense to me I be the first one on your thread to show you support. Jk rulz if this fool is dumb enough to bet then find out how much. If you see a cow dont wait too long to milk it...

My congratulation on your development of the plausible thumb and living the Cro-Magnun dream. Do share with us your secrets, we so desperately want to climb down from the tree and join the human race. Mnay thanks in advance.

TheWatcher
January 17, 2007, 10:34 PM
How is that you Londoni's have not noticed Maruf Chowdhury (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/134/134618/134618.html) yet ? He played quite a few matches for Middlesex 2nd XI last year. I remember we talked about him during BD team's England tour, some guys were pissed off that he does not want to come back to play for Bangladesh.

TheWatcher
January 18, 2007, 11:07 AM
More info on Maruf from Middlesex website (http://www.middlesexccc.com/academy-profiles1.htm)-

Maruf Chowdhury
D of B - 07/10/89
RA seam

Maruf’s excellent control of line and length has enabled him to return excellent bowling figures within and above his own age group. Maruf is keen this winter to find a little extra movement to his deliveries and develop his all-round fielding and lower-order batting. Maruf works extremely hard in training and is physically strong and mature for one so young.

Fazal
January 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
How is that you Londoni's have not noticed Maruf Chowdhury (http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/134/134618/134618.html) yet ?

May be they forget to light up their lonthon.