PDA

View Full Version : New Age: Time for WC homework

TheWatcher
January 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
Time for WC homework
Azad Majumder

The national selectors have started seriously thinking about Bangladesh’s World Cup squad as the deadline to submit the provisional 30-member list approaches.

The International Cricket Council stipulates the participating nations to submit their preliminary roster by January 13, but chief selector Faruque Ahmed said he would love to do it much earlier.

‘We have already been instructed by the cricket operations committee of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, about the World Cup squad and we are working on it,’ Faruque told New Age on Wednesday.

‘We have had informal discussions about it. So, hopefully we will sit together again within a day or two to finalise the squad. Even those players who have the remotest chance to play in the World Cup, will make it into the 30-member squad,’ said Faruque, who heads a four-member committee.

‘We won’t just throw in some names into the hat beside our regular squad, instead to make the provisional squad special we will try to make it one that reflects our future plans,’ he said.

Faruque however refused to make any comment about the final squad, according to an ICC directive which must be declared by February 13. ‘It’s too early to comment about the final squad. Before doing it we have to make a squad for the Zimbabwe tour,’ he said.

Bangladesh will tour to Zimbabwe in the first week of February to play four one-day matches as part their preparation for the World Cup in the Caribbean.

Sources close to the selectors said, the Zimbabwe tour will reflect what could be final World Cup squad of Bangladesh. This time the ICC allowed the teams to take 15 players in the World Cup squad instead of 14 following an appeal made by Australia and New Zealand.

It posed selectors a dilemma on whether to take an additional wicketkeeper or an extra seamer. Mushfiqur Rahim will be the sole contender should the selectors decide to take an additional stumper in addition to long-standing Khaled Mashud. But there will be real competition for an extra seamer.

Mohammad Sharif, who only returned from a lengthy injury lay-off, will likely to vie with Tapash Baishya, Nazmul Hossain for the slot beside Mashrafee bin Murtaza, Shahadat Hossain and Syed Rasel.

Meanwhile, the absence of coach Dav Whatmore, physio Paul Close and trainer Paul Chapman, all of whom are enjoying a Christmas vacation, has been criticised.

‘This is the high time of our domestic season and all national players involved in it. As World Cup is not far off they should have all been here now by cutting short their holidays,’ said a former cricketer asking not to be named.

‘Sakib Al Hasan is nursing a hand injury while Aftab also has an ankle problem. Both are very important players and everyone involved with the national squad should take proper care of them. It’s unfortunate that our foreign staff has shown such indifference,’ commented the ex-player.

TheWatcher
January 3, 2007, 03:37 PM
Names that are, I think, certain to make the provisional squad-

Top order batsmen: SN, Mehrab, Rajin, JO

Middle Order: Aftab, Bashar, Ashraful, Sakib, Farhad, Tushar, Alok

Keepers: Mashud, Rahim

Pacers: Mashrafe, Shahadat, Rasel, Tapash, Sharif, Nazmul

Spinners: Rafique, Razzak, Rana, Enamul

That leaves seven wild card entries. First two names that come to my mind are- Junaid and Imtiaz. Other names will probably be- Nadif, Tamim, Marshal, Sadat, and Shahzada.

I don't think Nafees Iqbal will make this squad after such a long absence from competitive cricket.

SS
January 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
We have tons of homework to do.

Bowlers - need to know that they will be bowling top class Ind and SL batting line up. Recently, both teams' top orders are showing great forms. Mash,Rajib, Raj,Rafique need to know that these batsmen will go after them. So, instead of breaking apart after get hit for boundaries, they need to focus and concentrate. Batting first or last, for both occasions our bowlers need to bowl 'intelligently'.
So far they had very good year, but still Mash,Rajib become erratic in few occasions, and also sometimes Rafique. They need to work on those weak areas. If our backup bowlers get chance (Tapash,Sharif), they better justify their inclusions and know their opponents.

Batsmen - They need to do more homework than anybody else. Our top order+middle order still remain mystery why they 'throw' away wickets when they are set. Khan,Sreesnath,Patel, Malinga,Vaas are in great forms so they have tons of homework to do. We don't want to hear that excuse from Bashar "To err is human", give us another chance. Can we arrange a practice game, where they can just find the 'gaps' and take 'singles' in middle overs and penalized if they start heaving or pulling for no reason?

Fielding -
Drop a catch, you drop a match....catches win the matches
No matter, how you say it. few of our players really need to work on fielding and be attentive/energetic in fields.

layperson
January 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
Yes there are lots of homework to be done by our players. My main concern is our batting and fielding. Bowling-wise I think we are ready to take on the other teams in the world cup. I feel the third seamer should be someone else other than rasel. This guy is the same speed as Khaled Mahmud !!! I would prefer bringing back Md. Sharif or Tapash baishya as the third seamer. Our batting line up needs to be rock solid if we are to make an impact. I am more interested in the final 15 member squad than the 30 man squad for the WC. I think we should stick to the squad that played in the recently concluded Zim series at home and should take either Nadif or any other opening batsman along with Mehrab Jnr and SN.

HereWeGo
January 3, 2007, 06:06 PM
I never thought rasel to be outstanding in any sort of way. Yes he can swing the new ball but with his pace teams like srilanka and india would love to face him. So I will pick Shahzada as the third pacer in the team , Rasel tho would still be in the 30 man squad. Shafaq is another name that comes to my mind as far as 30 man squad is concerned. As far as final squad goes i would like to see a healthy competition for the opening spot between mehrab junaid and imtiaz (must be decided based on the performance with England A and zimbabwe). And pilot must also compete with Mushfiq. both must recieve equal oppurtunity and no preferences must be placed on pilot. If that happens i think Mushfiq will make the squad as the main keeper.

cricman
January 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
I never thought rasel to be outstanding in any sort of way. Yes he can swing the new ball but with his pace teams like srilanka and india would love to face him. So I will pick Shahzada as the third pacer in the team , Rasel tho would still be in the 30 man squad. Shafaq is another name that comes to my mind as far as 30 man squad is concerned.As far as final squad goes i would like to see a healthy competition for the opening spot between mehrab junaid and imtiaz (must be decided based on the performance with England A and zimbabwe). And pilot must also compete with Mushfiq. both must recieve equal oppurtunity and no preferences must be placed on pilot. If that happens i think Mushfiq will make the squad as the main keeper.

It's only going to be based on the Zimbabwae tour since Feb 13th is the deadline, Rasel has beaten SL before i think he deserves to be in the final squad it really depends on team prefrence if Faruk and DW want to go with 3 pacers or 3 spinners using Aftab.

I say use Rasel vs Sri Lanka he has good track record 10 of his 26 ODI have come against them.

<a href="http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=45573;class=odiplayer;fil ter=basic;team=0;opposition=SL;notopposition=0;sea son=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry= 0;groundid=0;startdefault=2005-08-31;start=2005-08-31;enddefault=2006-12-09;end=2006-12-09;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;follow on=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;runslow=;runshigh=;batposition=0;dismissal=0;vi ewtype=bow_list;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh= ;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wi cketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshi gh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow =;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewty pe">Syed Rasel vs Sri Lanka</a></pre>

Miraz
January 3, 2007, 07:07 PM
Syed Rasel is pretty underrated amongst the BC forum members possibly due to lack of star type X factor in him. :)

As cricman mentioned, rasel has already proved his worth against SL and he also proved him whenever he got the opportunity.

In fact, he took more wickets playing less match than Shahadat and with better average. :)

zahid
January 3, 2007, 07:58 PM
Syed Rasel is pretty underrated amongst the BC forum members possibly due to lack top start type X factor in him. :)

As cricman mentioned, rasel has already proved his worth against SL and he also proved him whenever he got the opportunity.

In fact, he took more wickets playing less match than Shahadat and with better average. :)

Rassel has a horrible economy rate - that's what I noticed in all the matches I have seen him play. Reminds me of Shanto's bowling just before he was kicked off the team.

cricman
January 3, 2007, 08:09 PM
Rassel has a horrible economy rate - that's what I noticed in all the matches I have seen him play. Reminds me of Shanto's bowling just before he was kicked off the team.

Speechless! 1 belting from Gilchrist doesn't make your economy rate bad and at the end he did get him, plus Rasel is a much better death bowler than Mashrafe and Rajib.

TheWatcher
January 3, 2007, 10:17 PM
Rassel has a horrible economy rate - that's what I noticed in all the matches I have seen him play.
Apparently, you have not seen that many matches. In 2006, Rasel maintained a lower economy rate (4.09) comparing to that of Mashrafe (4.22) or Shahadat (4.62) (I hope I don't have to remind anyone how horrible Tapash, Nazmul, and Chacha were in their last matches).

Source (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/BY_CALENDAR/2000S/2006/ODI_BOWL_BEST_ECON_2006.html)

Farhad
January 3, 2007, 10:20 PM
I disagree, Rasel does not have too high an economy rate considering he's a BD player (3.9 and 4.2). I do think his speed is too slow for the big 8. Some ppl are ofcourse gonna bring up the fact that Mcgrath is slow as well, but there's always a cutoff point where your bowling is just too slow, but hey! He did alright against SL i guess.

kalpurush
January 4, 2007, 12:10 AM
You wana move to the 2nd round? If yes, then we need Rasel to hunt down SL, period!:-D

AsifTheManRahman
January 4, 2007, 12:21 AM
add to all of that lots of gatorade and ice-treatment (for the quickies) :)

Mohiul
January 4, 2007, 02:25 AM
I wanna remind, everybody who are after Rasel, go back to Srilanka tour and you will find your answer. Please don't underestimate him

roaring tigerz
January 4, 2007, 03:34 AM
The time for all experiments have come and gone. Only those already tried and tested can be considered for the World Cup. I would vote to keep faith with everyone who has been part of the team in the last couple of series wins. If I had to choose now, the final 15 who would get on the plane to Windies would be:

BATSMEN:
Shahriar Nafees
Mehrab Hossain Jr
Aftab Ahmed
Habibul Bashar
Sakib Al Hasan
Mohammed Ashraful
Tushar Imran
Farhad Reza

WICKET-KEEPER
Khaled Mashud

BOWLERS:
Mashrafee Mortaza
Syed Rasel
Shahadat Hossain
Tapash Baisya
Abdur Razzak
Mohammed Rafiq

Zunaid
January 4, 2007, 09:49 AM
Do also check out this BC article from last year:

World Cup 2007 : A new approach (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/article.php?item=429) - Mohammed A Alam (22nd October, 2006)

Tigers_eye
January 4, 2007, 10:02 AM
Agreed with Roaring_Tigerz but have a different lineup. 2 pacer best 11, with Forhad or 3 pace best 11 without forhad. Need mushfiq no matter what. Basically he single handedly made it look easy in the 5th ODI against Zim (dec 06).

BATSMEN:
Shahriar Nafees
Mehrab Hossain Jr
Aftab Ahmed
Habibul Bashar
Sakib Al Hasan
Mohammed Ashraful
Farhad Reza
Nadif C

WICKET-KEEPER
Mushfiq
Khaled Mashud

BOWLERS:
Mashrafee Mortaza
Syed Rasel
Shahadat Hossain
Abdur Razzak
Mohammed Rafiq

nmhimal
January 4, 2007, 11:15 AM
i want to see Mohammad Sharif in the final squad, he is doing well in both batting and bowling in domestic cricket.

sunniath
January 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
your wish may come true.according to bangladesherkhela,selectors are thinking of picking sharif over rasel in the world cup squad.sharif has been in good form lately with both bat and ball.i think it will be well deserved for him.

Bancan
January 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
rasel,sharif no one. i like tapash

kalpurush
January 5, 2007, 02:40 AM
your wish may come true.according to bangladesherkhela,selectors are thinking of picking sharif over rasel in the world cup squad.sharif has been in good form lately with both bat and ball.i think it will be well deserved for him.

I doubt it would happen though! Taposh is way better than Sharif as an allrounder. Palla Taposh-er dikey bhari beshi.:-D

Tokyobreeze
January 5, 2007, 09:59 AM
So..most of talks are centered on Bowlers...I think Tapash did very good in the league with bat and didn't do that bad with ball either..Sharif also did quite good..Their main role is bowling and they should be judged in that parameter..Will be a tough call.If selectors really wanna try 3 pacers in team and seriously consider Rasel/Tapash/Sharif as the 3rd option, why don't they try them in Zim tour?Alternatively they can play matches.

I just hope JO doesn't come back.Though it seems that he might as he has good score playing for A Team.

mshakir56
January 5, 2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think Mehrab is ready yet for the world cup. We need a back up opening batsman. Mehrab seemed like a player who lacks batting technique, but has good concentration level, which is why he can stay on the wicket for a long time. He should be given more chance in the upcoming zimbabwe tour and should be judged by his performance their. We don't have much time guys !

Tigers_eye
January 5, 2007, 01:06 PM
The tour of Zim

K Mashud's backup Mushfiq did play (Wkeeping) ok but batted excellently with the limited chance he got. So whom will the selectors choose?

Ash rey baad dewa jai na? O shotti kono kamer na.

Next Hablu uncle'rey fielding, agrressive field setting ebong running between the wickets one-on-one training dewa uchit before he can board on the plane.

Mash: make sure the captain asks him before every match that did he see any vision as of late?

nasmus sadat'rey opening slot'a ekbar chance diley kamon hoi?

Fazal
January 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
The tour of Zim

K Mashud's backup Mushfiq did play (Wkeeping) ok but batted excellently with the limited chance he got. So whom will the selectors choose?

Hmmm... interesting. I thought the other way around to make a case for Mushfiq. I thought Mushfiq did play (Wkeeping) excellently ok but batted ok with the limited chance he got.

Tigers_eye
January 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
My observation was from the stadium and yours came from the TV screen :)

TheWatcher
January 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
DS: Spotlight on Mashud (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/01/06/d70106040128.htm)

Undoubtedly, Mashud is still unparalleled behind the stumps but the long-serving cricketer's batting has become a headache for the team management, especially after the just concluded Twenty20 Premier League, where he was rather off-colour.

The selectors have never cleared their positions about Mashud and there is hardly anybody to replace him. Chief selector Faruque says he is impressed by Mushfiqur Rahim -- the selectors' blue-eyed boy -- but the young wicketkeeper, by no means an exciting batsman, has so far not proved his worth with the gloves.

Faruque, however, was not interested to comment on this issue as he said that it was 'too early' to say anything.

"There is hardly any chance to see major changes in the team. But I think it is too early to say about any particular player. We will meet on Tuesday to discuss the squad for Zimbabwe," said Faruque.

"We should make a team for Zimbabwe tour which will likely be the World Cup team because reality is that the players will get only a week after returning from the trip," he said adding that they would announce the 15-member squad by the third week of this month.

"I won't say Mushfiq did a tremendous job in his few appearances but I must say he showed signs that he has the ability to keep his place in the national side," observed Faruque.

So it is easily understandable that the coming Premier League matches would be a big challenge for Mashud, well-known for hard-work and dedication.

Although Faruque denied to comment on the Mashud issue, it was learnt that the board has been in favour of the Rajshahi stumper for his vast experience. The board high-ups are also not ready to take risk on the World Cup and the have sent the message home in a bid to avoid controversy.

The other major issue besides Mashud to be discussed during the selection meeting is whether they would pick a genuine seamer in place of all-rounder Forhad Reza.

Forhad, another Rajshahi man, glowed in his brief career but it seems that the right-arm paceman and a useful late-order batsman can only be effective on a favourable pitch.

"No doubt Forhad has done well so far and once again I can say it is too early to comment on any particular player. But it is true that we are thinking about including a genuine third seamer considering the conditions in the Caribbean," informed Faruque.

It seems that up and coming medium pacer Dollar Mahmud has a bright chance to get a national call.

The last line just threw me off. Dolar, with only one or two A-team match experience, is being considered for WC squad !!! Is he that good ???

Fazal
January 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
My observation was from the stadium and yours came from the TV screen :)

Ya you are right....
Ususally when I plan to watch a game seriously (whether its Football, basketball or Cricket) I prefer watching on TV alone. If I am looking for having some good time, only then I prefer watching on TV in groups or in the stadium.:-D

Too much distraction on Stadium.

Tigers_eye
January 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
sour grapes!! Ain't it?

The entire Zim batting time most of the gallery supported Zim so that they could put up something like 220-230. Me included. Wanted to see Bd bat for 45+ overs. crossing 193 became almost futile.

with seven overs left 33 runs needed 3 wickets in hand, hublu shaheb started to block balls. This is after being the chief architect of running out sakib and forhad. Why on earth Mash was sent early have no idea. Ash baba'r namai uchit chilo na.

Then came Mushfiq, steered the team to safety with ease. His strokes were as majestic as it gets. And everyone here knows how much I like K Mashud.

sadi
January 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
DS: Spotlight on Mashud (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/01/06/d70106040128.htm)

The last line just threw me off. Dolar, with only one or two A-team match experience, is being considered for WC squad !!! Is he that good ???

Yeah that idea is quite scary. I don't think selectors will be that stupid to draft a guy like him that early. He didn't look any better or quicker than Nazmul and I don't see any reason why he should come to the team.

BangladeshFan
January 5, 2007, 04:43 PM
what has Bd got to lose? they will lose against India and Sl and win against Bermuda thats almost in the script. So why not be courageous and take a chance? taking mushfiq in place of pilot is not even a chance, thats a necessity.the chance the selectors can take i think will be in the form of a power hitter in place of mehrab. if it was the 99 WC with English pitches offering lot of movement, there would be some logic in using a slow scorer like mehrab and protect the middle order. thats what teams like pakistan, australia did that time. but the west indian pitches are mostly dry and dont offer that much movement. do u see a opener with 50% SR in any top team now? powerplay expands 40% of the total innings and unless Bd can take advantage of it, its chances of causing an upset is next to nil

roaring tigerz
January 6, 2007, 02:59 PM
what has Bd got to lose? they will lose against India and Sl and win against Bermuda thats almost in the script. So why not be courageous and take a chance? taking mushfiq in place of pilot is not even a chance, thats a necessity.the chance the selectors can take i think will be in the form of a power hitter in place of mehrab. if it was the 99 WC with English pitches offering lot of movement, there would be some logic in using a slow scorer like mehrab and protect the middle order. thats what teams like pakistan, australia did that time. but the west indian pitches are mostly dry and dont offer that much movement. do u see a opener with 50% SR in any top team now? powerplay expands 40% of the total innings and unless Bd can take advantage of it, its chances of causing an upset is next to nil

Exactly!

Rabz
January 7, 2007, 05:39 AM
what has Bd got to lose? they will lose against India and Sl and win against Bermuda thats almost in the script.

Like the idea, sounds great on paper....
but....oh...knock knock

remember World Cup 03??

brings back some painful memory...doesnt it???

Offcourse we should aim high, preferably going to second round or even quarters ( kenya did last time, so why cant we ?)..but at the same time...
remember...

Naira bel tolai ekbari jae...
or atleast, jaite chae

so, dont write off Bermuda match esp when its in thier home soil....(or next to it)

nsd3
January 7, 2007, 05:54 AM
Farhad reza should be considered for the future not for the WC 07. Why extra pacer - take spinner - Nadif could be useful (with the bat as well). 3 pacers we've got in the present team are enough. If spin is our strength we should make best use of it rather than concentrating on our less lethal pace department. Besides, WI pitches are playing like those of BD pitches lately (not much bouncy as before).