PDA

View Full Version : Bd Vs Big Guns

roaring tigerz
January 6, 2007, 02:17 PM
The past year has been one of unprecedented success for our ODI cricket team. But these results have quite predictably been followed by debates over their significance. I believe quite justifiably so. Afterall what do the victories against Scotland, Kenya and even Zimbabwe mean to our overall progress as a team? More importantly, can we now be regularly competitive against better international teams? A good indicator would be, to look at how the team actually performed in their most recent encounters with the bigger teams. I looked up some statistics of individual performances to see how they fared. Going back to BD tour of Srilanka in August '05, we played 11 ODIs against the top teams: Srilanka 7, Australia 3 and West Indies 1. These numbers represent only the performances in these games.

Batsmen: Averages

Nafees: 18.7
Aftab: 21.8
Bashar: 29.1
Ashraful: 16.4

Considering these abject figures, you shouldn't be surprised to find that the team averaged only 180.4 per game crossing 200 only 4 times in 11 visits.

Bowlers: Economy Rate, Avg. Wickets

Mashrafe: 5.3, 1.1
Razzak: 4.6, 1.2
Rafiq : 4.3, 1.1

So the bowlers seem to have been doing much better against stronger opposition. But then again, the wickets column clearly indicates that our attack does a better job at restricting rather than threatening opposition batsmen.

Shafin
January 6, 2007, 03:25 PM
Nafees: 18.7
Aftab: 21.8
Bashar: 29.1
Ashraful: 16.4

Once again Basher shows why he is still our leading batter.

mshakir56
January 7, 2007, 12:33 AM
This is why we need to play more against big guns in order to improve ! playing against the minows aint doing us any good at all !

zia
January 7, 2007, 12:34 AM
You got it bro.

kalpurush
January 7, 2007, 01:39 PM
You got it bro.

Below one? Great!:-D

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~iany/consultancy/three_wishes.jpg

TheWatcher
January 7, 2007, 03:53 PM
I was just watching some videoes from ICCT. I am afraid, once the opposition pacers (capable ones, off course) get to know SN well, life will get lot tougher for him unless he improves technical aspects of his batting (mainly his footwork, also may be on his front foot shots).

Tokyobreeze
January 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
This is why we need to play more against big guns in order to improve ! playing against the minows aint doing us any good at all !

Sure!But, unfortunately ICC decides FTP..Kalpurush has got something which can bring it on your way though.

pial
January 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
Miraj Bhai (& BanglaCricket), aapnara aachen bolei prithibita eto sundor !

kalpurush
January 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
Miraj Bhai (& BanglaCricket), aapnara aachen bolei prithibita eto sundor !

pial bhai: Good to see you again! Bhaggish...dom shes hoey giechilo!!....ta na holey to dub merey thakten!!!;) :-D

kalpurush
January 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
Sure!But, unfortunately ICC decides FTP..Kalpurush has got something which can bring it on your way though.

Boss...I thought you got it! Being in Japan...:-D

Tigers_eye
January 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
I would agree if you guys can truely attest that

05 Shariar Nafees is as good as 07 Shariar nafees
05 Kopal is as good as Sakib
05 JO is as good as Merab Jr.
05 paposh is as good as Shahadat
05 Hablu mama is as good as current Hablu mama
05 Mashud is as good as Mushfiq (batting)?

In all six instances the answer is "no" which means BD team has improved just didn't have the opportunity to prove themselves. 200 would be a piece of cake against any opponent unless Ash bogs down to 40 ball 11, or uncle bashar gets the young guns runout.

sadi
January 8, 2007, 12:23 PM
As much as stats show how our batsmen perform against the big guns, it might be misleading sometimes. More than anything, I feel like its the mental aspect we really need to improve on. Its the middle overs finding ones and twos or the late over accelerations that shows the differnece between us and the other teams. I've seen it so many times when we had a good start but lost our ways in the middle overs as we find ourselves in an unknown territory and don't know how to react to it.

layperson
January 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
200 would be a piece of cake against any opponent unless Ash bogs down to 40 ball 11, or uncle bashar gets the young guns runout.

Very optimistic and bold statement as far as I am concerned. I am yet to believe that our batters have proved themselves against the big boys to be able to easily score 200 against them. Yes there has been improvement in the sense that we can now efficiently dispose of teams weaker than us whereas earlier we were terrible at that too !!! Once I see the batter perform consistently against the big teams, I will believe they have taken a big leap.