PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration

Tigers_eye
January 17, 2007, 12:31 PM
The man turned 65. He was the champion of champions. Perhaps the best in all sports. His witty answers and one liners can inspire anyone. I hope if our national cricketers could read the following quotes. This is how a Champ feels inside. This is shear mental strength over powering opponents even before the match starts. Believing in that we can win. I guess Whatmore's job could have been much easier if he could paste these in the locker-room.

1. "I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round."

2. "It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

3. "I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick."

4. "I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and got into bed before the room was dark."

5. "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - This is something that all our players must understand.

6. "I'm the best. I just haven't played yet." - Speaking of Golf. Self confidence and take no prisoners.

7. "Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill." - Practice, practice and more practice to be ready to perform when the lime light is on.

8. "I am America. I am the part you won't recognise. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me." - If anyone trash talks (sledges) the players must do the talking with their bat and ball. Let performance speak volumes and shut up critics.

9. "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." - This is one of my favorite quotes of Ali. One must adapt with time. Conservatives beware.

10. a) "I always bring out the best in men I fight, but Joe Frazier, I'll tell the world right now, brings out the best in me. I'm gonna tell ya, that's one helluva man, and God bless him."

b) "I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said. Called him names I shouldn't have called him. I apologise for that. I'm sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight." - After the Joe Fraiser fight Thrilla in Manila. Humbleness what makes a man great.

c) Fraiser in response: "The Butterfly and me have been through some ups and downs and there have been lots of emotions, many of them bad. But I have forgiven him. I had to. You cannot hold out for ever. There were bruises in my heart because of the words he used. I spent years dreaming about him and wanting to hurt him. But you have got to throw that stick out of the window. Do not forget that we needed each other, to produce some of the greatest fights of all time."

11. "Hey Floyd - I seen you! Someday I'm gonna whup you! Don't you forget, I am the greatest!" - To then-world heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson during the 1960 Olympic Games. he was 17 then.

12. "If you even dreamed you hit me, you better wake up and apologize." - he wouldn't let his opponents even dream of beating him, lol.

13. When he was asked what would have happened if he had been a janitor rather than a boxer and he said.......
"I'd have been the best janitor in the world!"

14. "To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are." - Always Positive. Winning mentality.

15. "God gave me this illness to remind me I'm not number one; he is." - Humility learnt.

There are hundreds of Ali quotes that showed his cockiness, but most of the time he backed it up with deeds. He was that much self-confident. I am not asking our players to be a cocky-players but to learn from the greatest of them all that humility is what we all should stride for. One must prepare on the practice field and put forth his best effort in the game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/6267397.stm

gunda
January 17, 2007, 12:38 PM
great post:-D

Miraz
January 17, 2007, 01:04 PM
The words really show the mental makings of a champion/great.

Thanks for sharing.

I liked the following one most..

"To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are." - Always Positive. Winning mentality.

kalpurush
January 17, 2007, 01:45 PM
We needed it most before the WC. Great job by Tiger's_eye bhai. Cheers:-D

Rabz
January 17, 2007, 07:36 PM
Well, you dont become the greatest Sportsman of the modern era for no good reason.

He is Muhammad Ali.
That says it all.
Period.

BD-Shardul
January 18, 2007, 02:35 AM
Tigers_eye,

I culdn't agree more with ur prescription.

BD Tigers
January 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
My favorite one is "if u dreamed about beating me, wake up and aplogise" - only Ali can say it....what a man!!!

gatekeeper
January 19, 2007, 12:34 AM
My earliest memory of Ali;

I was a young boy of maybe 8 or 9 when he came to BD in the 70s. My father took us to the Intercontinental Hotel (now Sheraton) to see a friend who was staying there and Ali was to attend some function there. My father timed it so we could see him when he got inside the hotel. The hotel mamangement started looking for a child who would present Ali with a bouquet of flower. They picked my kid brother and I was sooooooo jealous. Anyway, people lined up when he got in and my brother gave him the flowers. Ali picked him up and gave kisses on both cheeks. I was standing next to him and as if he read my mind, picked me up as well. Only regret, don't have any pictures of it. A lot has happened since then but I still consider that one of my memorable moments.

Years later I saw him again in Roosevelt Field mall in Long Island, NY. He was doing some kind of promo with Fossil Watch concerning Parkinson's. This time I took my father. Ali was in early stages of Parkinson's but sharp as ever. When my father said 'Assalam-U-Alikum' he replied and gave my father kisses on both cheeks, Muslim style. Thankfully I do have pictures of this, Ali with my father and Ali with me.

Carte Blanche
January 19, 2007, 04:36 AM
If you don't succeed at first attempt, redefine success :D

shaad
January 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
If you have a chance, rent and watch the documentary When We Were Kings. While at its core, it's a movie about the Ali-Foreman fight in Zaire, it touches on many other issues -- the way Ali was a symbol for Black pride, even the Black is Beautiful concept, at a time when racism was endemic in the US, the mutual love between him and the Africans of Zaire, and much much more.

But one of the things it highlights is the soul of a champion. The title had been stripped from him for refusing to go fight in Vietnam, and he had been sentenced to prison. What would have been considered his best years, his prime years as a boxer, were behind him -- years during which he was not allowed to box. And the current champion was George Foreman, not the charming fellow as we see him now who sells grills on late night TV, but a monstrous giant of a man, who had easily knocked out both Joe Frazier and Ken Norton in the second rounds; and Frazier and Norton were boxers against whom Ali had trouble winning.

Everyone, even Howard Cosell, Ali's long-time supporter, thought Ali had no chance of winning. Ali's own corner was worried that not only would he lose, but in a way that made him a cripple. Foreman's corner was concerned that he would kill Ali.

And then there was the bout itself. Ali came in with a new strategy, throwing right lead punches at the beginning. While Foreman was initially surprised by them, they did not seem to have much effect, and he started throwing his own. There is a moment here in the film, when you can see Ali feeling Foreman's massive punches, feeling their strength, Ali who had always been able to dance away in the past from another boxer's punches, and you can see him visibly steeling himself up, telling himself "okay, this is the way it has to be," and changing his fighting strategy.

He shifted to what has since become famous as his "rope-a-dope" technique -- lying back on the ropes, letting Foreman hit him but using the ropes to dissipate some of their power, while hitting him with fast counterpunches to the head and neck and enraging him with taunts like "they told me you could punch, George" and "that's it, I thought you punch as hard as Ari Louis." Foreman threw hundreds of punches, but he was visibly getting tired, and Ali's counterpunches were causing considerable damage to his face.

By the end of the eighth round, Foreman was clearly flagging. And Ali started coming forward and throwing combinations. Asking "Is that all you got?" Ali caught Foreman with a left hook that brought his head into position for a hard right to the face. Foreman staggered, then twirled across half the ring before landing on his back, and could not get up until the round was over.

The sheer spirit and confidence, knowing that he would have to take the punishment and being able and willing to take it, along with being a master strategist, changing tactics on the fly when they did not work, is what made Ali such a champion.

gatekeeper
January 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
Not just 'when we were kings', this fight has been the subject of numerous films and documenteries. Because Ali did the impossible. On one, escept Ali, believed he could win. Not even his trainer Angelo Dundee.

Tigers_eye
January 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
What an experience Gatekeeper. I remember farely well when he visited BD. Unfortunately all I could muster was from the footage of the TV and newspaper shots. I remember the fight against a young boy where he faked and fell and lost the match.

I intentionally left out some of the quotes of Ali on race, religion and war. Didn't see if those quotes could help/inspire our boys. For those who are eager to learn more here are some: once someone starts to read those they would not be able to stop without finishing:

"Floats like a butterfly, sting like a bee,
his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see."
Before the 1974 fight against George Foreman

Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.

I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life. After losing to Ken Norton, 31 March 1973

"I know I got it made while the masses of black people are catchin' hell, but as long as they ain't free, I ain't free."

"Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs?"

"I got nothing against no Viet Cong. No Vietnamese ever called me a 'n*gger'."

"Nobody has to tell me that this is a serious business. I'm not fighting one man. I'm fighting a lot of men, showing a lot of 'em, here is one man they couldn't defeat, couldn't conquer. My mission is to bring freedom to 30m black people." Before his fight against Jerry Quarry in 1970.

"What's really hurting me - the name Islam is involved, and Muslim is involved and causing trouble and starting hate and violence. Islam is not a killer religion, Islam means peace. I couldn't just sit home and watch people label Muslims as the reason for this problem." 21 September 2001, in the aftermath of the World Trade Center attacks

"Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wildlife."
"Joe Frazier is so ugly that when he cries, the tears turn around and go down the back of his head."
"It will be a killer, and a chiller, and a thriller, when I get the gorilla in Manila." And then after winning the fight he did give Frazier his credit and apologised for calling him names. reference in my first post.

"Why, Chump, I bet you scare yourself to death just starin' in the mirror. You ugly bear! You ain't never fought nobody but tramps and has beens. You call yourself a world champion? You're too old and slow to be champion!" To Sonny Liston before their fight on 25 February 1964

"I shook up the world! I shook up the world!" After beating Liston

"That all you got George?"
"not a good time to get tired george" To Foreman late in the Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire on 30 October 1974

"It's not bragging if you can back it up."

"There are two things in life that are hard to hit and see and thats the spooky ghost and Muhammed Ali!"

To a journalist:
"Hold out your hand and i'll hit it with my jab ten times..." (A mere second later)
"You want to see it again?"

"joe's gonna come out smokin,
and i aint gonna be jokin,
i'll be peckin and a pokin,
pouring water on his motor,
now this might shock and amaze ya,
but i will destroy joe frazier."

When taunted by Oscar Bonavena about the name 'Clay' in a pre-fight press conference in 1970, a visibly agitated Ali retorted "Ladies and gentleman please get down to your theatres, I ain't never wanted to whup a man so bad!"

"I know where i'm going and i know the truth, and i don't have to be what you want be to be. I'm free to be who i want."

In the build up to the first Liston fight: "I've just seen Liston and..."
Ali: "Ain't he ugly?"

"Fifteen referees. I want fifteen referees to be at this fight because there ain't no one man who can keep up with the pace I'm gonna set except me. There's not a man alive who can whup me. I'm too fast. I'm too smart. I'm too pretty. I should be a postage stamp. That's the only way I'll ever get licked."

"Clay comes out to meet Liston and Liston starts to retreat
If he goes back any further…He'll be in a ringside seat
Clay swings with a left and Clay swings with a right
Look at young Cassius as he carries the fight
Liston keeps backing, but there's not enough room
It's a matter of time till Clay lowers the boom
Now Clay swings with a right, what a beautiful swing
and the punch knocks the Bear clear out of the ring
Liston's still rising! The ref wears a frown
For he can't start counting…till Sonny comes down!!
Now Liston disappears from view, the crowd is getting frantic
But our radar stations pick him up, he's over the Atlantic!
Who would have thought when they came to the fight
That they'd witness the launch…of a human satellite?
Yes, the crowd did not dream, when they laid down their money
That they would see a total eclipse of the Sun-y!"

"The man with no imagination has no wings."

"The world was shocked when Nixon resigned
Wait 'till I whup George Foreman's behind"

Howard Cosell: "Now Muhammed you are just being petulant"
Ali: "I don't know what petulant means, but if that's good, I'm it."

To the Irish boxer Kevin McBride.."You are the latest and I am the greatest!"

On Michael Parkinson's show perhaps...
Ali: "Did you see that punch?"
Parkie: "What punch?
Ali: "Fast, wsan't it!"

"Y'ALL WANNA LOOSE YOU'RE MONEY Y'ALL BET IT ON SONNY. HE KNOW IM GREAT, HE WILL FALL IN EIGHT!"

"EAT THOSE WORDS! EAT THOSE WORDS! I'M A BAADD MANN" - after beating liston.

Frazier to Ali, during interview: "During the fight, you kept on telling me you were God!"
Ali: "I never said that!"
Frazier: "You did! You did!"
Ali: "Okay, I lied."

In nature's dictionary
Look up poetry
Defined simply
as Muhammed Ali

BangladeshFan
January 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
i liked this one>>> "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." PREPARATION IS EVERYTHING

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 05:36 PM
Absolutely top notch...I have so much respect for the man...Thanks a lot Tigers Eye.

al Furqaan
January 21, 2007, 04:19 PM
"if muhammad ali says a mosquito can pull a plow, don't ask 'how?', hitch it up"