PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Preparation Thread, Group - B : Bangladesh, India, Srilanka and Bermuda

Miraz
January 18, 2007, 12:33 PM
This thread will contain all the information about preparation of Bangladesh and its opponents leading to world cup clashes.

Bangladesh is placed in Group B alongwith India, Srilanka and Bermuda in World Cup Cricket 2007. Here's the fixture for the world cup ties..

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Thu 15 </TD><TD>4th Match, Group B - Bermuda v Sri Lanka
Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Sat 17 </TD><TD>8th Match, Group B - Bangladesh v India

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Mon 19 </TD><TD>12th Match, Group B - Bermuda v India

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Wed 21 </TD><TD>16th Match, Group B - Bangladesh v Sri Lanka

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Fri 23 </TD><TD>20th Match, Group B - India v Sri Lanka

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Sun 25 </TD><TD>24th Match, Group B - Bangladesh v Bermuda

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
And here's the official warm up matches for group B teams

March 2007
<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Mon 5 </TD><TD>Bermuda v England
Arnos Vale Ground, Kingstown, St Vincent

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Mon 5 </TD><TD>Scotland v Sri Lanka
Three Ws Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Tue 6 </TD><TD>Bangladesh v New Zealand

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Tue 6 </TD><TD>India v Netherlands
Trelawny Stadium, Jamaica

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Thu 8 </TD><TD>Bangladesh v Scotland

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Thu 8 </TD><TD>Bermuda v Zimbabwe
Arnos Vale Ground, Kingstown, St Vincent

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Fri 9 </TD><TD>New Zealand v Sri Lanka

<TABLE class=scheduleTable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Fri 9 </TD><TD>India v West Indies
Trelawny Stadium, Jamaica

Apart from these matches let's take a look at how the preparations are going on...

Bangladesh is playing Zimbabwe for a 4 match ODI series in February. They will also play in a tri series involving Bermuda and Canada. Currently the players are playing the doemstic cricket.

India have just finished South Africa tour involving 3 tests and 5 ODI's. They will be playing a 4 match ODI series with West Indies which will start from Januray 21. Before World Cup they will also play with Srilanka for another 4 match ODI series.

Srilanka have finished their New Zealand tour on Januray 9. They are having some break in international cricket until 8 February when they will start the 4 match ODI series with India. Currently players are going through camp for India tour.

Bermuda is currently visiting Caribbean Islands as part of their preparations and playing matches against different local Island teams. After this trip they will have a busy schedule with ICC World Cricket League Division One matches. They will play a total of 5 matches against Kenya, Ireland, Canada, Scotland and Netherlands before meeting Bangladesh and Canada for the tri series.

Now, its time to regularly check this thread and post the latest updates about these teams.

Mohiul
January 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
January 18, 2007
Bermuda v W Connection Wanderers, Gilbert Park Ground

Bermuda lost a practice match against a local club W Connection Wanderers by 47 runs at Port of Spain on Tuesday. Set at target of 244, they were dismissed for 196 at the Gilbert Park Ground. Bermuda, who are pitted against Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh in the group stage of the World Cup, are on a warm-up tour of the Caribbean.
After winning the toss, Wanderers reached 243 for 9 off 50 overs. Jason Samuel top-scored with 68 while Clifton Hall and Kenroy Williams, the Barbados youth captain, chipped in with 43 and 41. Dwayne Leverock was Bermuda's best bowler with 3 for 46.
Clay Smith, Bermuda's opening batsman, led the chase with 37 and he received support from David Hemp, who made 35. But after they were dismissed the innings fell apart with several batsmen failing to convert their starts. Janeiro Tucker scored 28 and OJ Pitcher and Lionel Cann contributed 30 each but Bermuda's last three batsmen were dismissed for ducks.

source: cricinfo

gatekeeper
January 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
Bangladesh They will also play in a tri series involving Bermuda and Canada.

Where does it take place? Bermuda?

Miraz
January 18, 2007, 01:15 PM

It will take place in the Caribbeans. Venue is yet to be confirmed.

FaridpurChicago
January 18, 2007, 02:02 PM
It will take place in the Caribbeans. Venue is yet to be confirmed.

What about the dates. Will they go direct from Zim to play the series or will it be played in their World cup tour before the warm-up matches. BD is not good for long tour. If the tri series is in the same tour with the WC then the warm-up will be thawing-down for BD. I don't like the idea.

Kabir
January 18, 2007, 02:08 PM
Miraz bhai: could you please update the fixture with month? I know it's March for the most part, but just to avoid any confusion...

Kabir
January 18, 2007, 02:10 PM
Also, just to repeat the old story...look at how much India is getting to play with the good teams...and how little we get. Mind you, the ZIm tour is also a last minute decision. Absolute nonsense.

BangladeshCricket
January 18, 2007, 02:14 PM
It's all our fault. India has money and power and overall good team, but We have nothing! So, who will play us?

Kabir
January 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
It's all our fault. India has money and power and overall good team, but We have nothing! So, who will play us?

Can't agree with that. Even if they have everything, who will play us or them isn't an option that teams have. ICC gets to decide that...and the teams follow the instructions. If ICC can't act well on this, they're just proving how spineless they are.

But anyway, lets concentrate on the WC now...sorry to bring up this highly debatable topic :)

Spitfire_x86
January 18, 2007, 02:34 PM
Don't worry guys. There's no "world cup" to humiliate us this time. ICC did a good thing by reducing the tournament to a single round quadrangular tournament for the losers.

We'll get 6 more matches if we qualify for the 2nd round. If our players' aren't motivated by this, then we don't have any hope at all.

FaridpurChicago
January 18, 2007, 03:51 PM
... If our players' aren't motivated by this ....

Brother, Only motivation not enough. You need match practice that will give you confidence, courage, c(q)uality.

Fazal
January 18, 2007, 05:43 PM
That reminds me, I need plan for a day off on 21th. Should I request for a day-off or call sick thats the big question.

Tigers_eye
January 18, 2007, 05:50 PM
Plan an off-site observation.
journal: Nothing happened all day.

kalpurush
January 18, 2007, 08:48 PM
That reminds me, I need plan for a day off on 21th. Should I request for a day-off or call sick thats the big question.

Fazal bhai: Pls. request for a day-off! Or, you might miss one of the greatest match ever played in WC!! Imazine after beating India and then SL...:-D
Good thing you are planning way ahead!!!:up:

kalpurush
January 18, 2007, 08:54 PM
We'll get 6 more matches if we qualify for the 2nd round. If our players' aren't motivated by this, then we don't have any hope at all.

Chomothker bolechen! Er cheye er ki boro uddipok thaktey parey!! They should play with their heart and soul with proper use of their brain. :flag:

BagherBacha
January 18, 2007, 09:28 PM
i will be sick on march 21, planned. first match, i will watch with my co-worker who is from India.And, I already bet bd is gonna win. GO BD

Miraz
January 21, 2007, 07:15 AM
India started their preparation campaign well. It seems with the return of Sourav Ganguly it has buried its One day woes.

In a high scoring match India defeeated WI by 14 runs in one of the flattest pitch of world cricket.

Final score- India 338 for 3 (Ganguly 98, Gambhir 69, Dhoni 62*, Dravid 54*) beat West Indies 324 for 8 (Chanderpaul 149*) by 14 runs

Ganguly continued remarkable comeback. This guy has mental tougness. I wish one day our young boys achieve that :)

AsifTheManRahman
January 21, 2007, 01:59 PM
jaak, 67% match e chutir dine porse...march 1st e office giye boss re bolum ami 21st e ashum na...kam asey... :)

TheWatcher
January 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
No, in Antigua, WI. The venue for the tourny will be newly built Sir Vivian Richards International Stadium in St Peter's, Antigua.

Dates:
25 Feb- Bangladesh Vs Bermuda
26 Feb- Canada Vs Bermuda
28 Feb- Canada Vs Bangladesh

Miraz
January 21, 2007, 04:37 PM
According to Amar Desh BCB sent clear instruction to selectors to keep Khaled Mashud in the WC squad. Selectors are facing some dilemma to select the Zim bound squad. According to Amar Desh selectors will take either Junaid or Tamim as the third opener as they are not happy with the domestic performance of Mehrab Jr. Farhad will certainly lose his place and Sharif/Tapash will take his position.

Full report (http://www.amardeshbd.com/detail_news_index.php?NewsID=89398&NewsType=bistarito&SectionID=home)

AsifTheManRahman
January 21, 2007, 04:50 PM
i guess farhad doesn't really qualify as a bowler because of his chacha-like qualities. if he has to make it to the team, it has to be through his batting. so he was going to be dropped sooner or later anyways.

as for his replacement, i would like to see someone who can bat a bit and bowl well, i.e. a fourth seamer/all-rounder. i think taposh is the right choice, as he bats straighter than most of our middle order batsmen. i'm not too sure about sharif - the last time i checked (back in 2001, was it?) he was no more than ordinary. he did get a lot of praise back then. but all that was only because we had noone better. haven't watched him play in the last two years or so, and stats tell only part of the story. so i can't really comment on how good he is atm.

the opener saga is also bothering me a bit; it seems to be too early for junaid, and tamim looks like he will be easy game for quality bowling. mehrab jnr, too, is pretty slow, and hasn't proved much in the 7 odi's that he's played so far. for the world cup, i think i would go with some experience for the #1/#2 batting spot. how's rajin saleh been doing lately? besides, if we do have to pick someone new, isn't nazmus sadat a better choice than the two that the selectors are planning on flying to zimbabwe?

hopefully, no change in the opening spot will be required, with mehrab jnr feeling the heat with a third opener in the team and performing in zimbabwe.

TheWatcher
January 21, 2007, 05:13 PM
for the world cup, i think i would go with some experience for the #1/#2 batting spot. how's rajin saleh been doing lately? besides, if we do have to pick someone new, isn't nazmus sadat a better choice than the two that the selectors are planning on flying to zimbabwe?
Rajin has scored consecutive ducks in his last two matches and Sadat is out of consideration with a troubled shoulder. So, yeah, Junaid and Tamim are now the front runners for the third opener spot.

As I said in the other thread, I would be more comfortable seeing Rokon given the chance instead of any of those inexperienced domestic league shakers.

Remind you guys, we are not having any prep camp before Zim tour where coaches can work on a rookie.

Miraz
January 21, 2007, 05:23 PM
I already mentioned in another thread that Rokon is out of consideration at least to the selectors. In that case, I don't mind taking either Junaid or Tamim to Zimbabwe. Tamim is probably one step ahead due to his U-19 experience and recent form (cricketing family might also play some role).

The question is, is he ready for such a challenge ?

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/67400/67486.jpg

Tamim Iqbal Khan - possible solution for Bangladesh's long standing opening problem?

I am pretty disappointed about keeping Pilot in the squad. It will not bring anything for BD cricket.

TheWatcher
January 21, 2007, 05:38 PM
I also found it surprising that Rasel's position in the team is being questioned. He did well for Bangladesh on most ocassions he was given a chance.

There is a good chance that we will see wet pitches in both Zimbabwe and Trinidad due to rain, Rasel's swing bowling will be very effective in that kind of situation.

cricket_king
January 22, 2007, 06:12 AM
Tamim Iqbal Khan - possible solution for Bangladesh's long standing opening problem?

I reckon he is :) :flag:

BD-Shardul
January 22, 2007, 06:25 AM
Rasel Must be there in the WC Squad. His swing is something that we badly need.

BangladeshCricket
January 22, 2007, 09:35 AM
I believe so too, but Russel gota bat a little bit, the way Tapash and Sharif are progressive. On top of it, look at the recent score of India 338 in 50 overs!! Do you think our slow medium pacers can do anything with them!!!
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvwi/engine/current/match/267706.html

sadi
January 22, 2007, 10:05 AM
I really don't think we have any option but to open with Shahriar Nafees and Mehrab jr. I don't think Tamim or Junaed is ready for the next level yet and it won't be wise to bring them up too quickly. Rajin's form is pathetic and Nazmus Sadat is injured. If we really need to replace Mehrab in the top order, it has to come from whoever we already have in the squad. I wouldn't sacrifice Bashar or Ash again in the top order. So who can we get? Maybe Tushar. He always bats at number 3 and is used to new ball. He is in good form. Maybe he can be our short term solution if Mehrab plan doesn't work out.

Miraz
January 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
Chaminda Vaas and Muralitharan is rested for India tour, the last preparation for Srilanka ahead of World Cup. I am a bit worried to see Zoysa back. He is a destructive bowler in fast wicket.

From CI,

Sri Lanka play India in four matches starting from February 8 at Poona and then at Rajkot (Feb 11), Margoa (Feb 14) and Visakhapatnam (Feb 17). This will be Sri Lanka's final engagement before the World Cup in the Caribbean.
Squad
Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Kumar Sangakkara (vice-capt & wk), Sanath Jayasuriya, Upul Tharanga, Marvan Atappattu, Russel Arnold, Chamara Silva, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Farveez Maharoof, Upul Chandana, Malinga Bandara, Dilhara Fernando, Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Zoysa, Nuwan Kulasekera

Hasib
January 23, 2007, 11:00 PM
Any these matches official ODIs?

sunniath
January 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
my take on the issues:
pilot:wc should be his last international outing.mushfiq is the obvious replacement,but for the world cup,mashud's experience will be handy in case our top order fails.
rasel:i dont see any difference between him,tapash,and sharif bowling wise.all three bowl around 70-75 mph with no real threat to quality batsmen.in wi,wickets will be flat and low.so all three will be smashed around the park.tapash and sharif have improved their batting significantly.but sharif's ability to swing old ball will add variation to the bowling attack.plus masri still seems uncomfortable bolwing in slog overs.sharif can be handy in this scenario.so,i will pick sharif.
opener:stay with mehrab jr.bd pinch hitters will get out in no time in front of quality fast bowling and create pressure on nafees.if mehrab can stay in the middle,it will provide stability in the top order.if on of the pinch hitters is chosen,then we will have three hard hitters in a row.tamim/junaed,aftab and ash.these three guys can get out in one over trying to hit six/four.in order to put some stability,i will choose mehrab as nafees' partner.

Miraz
January 25, 2007, 06:58 AM
India is showing true color of its batting. In a slow and low pitch India was bundled out for 189, thans to valuable 67 run by Dinesh karthik. Powell should be watched carefully as he is getting better and better. He took 4/27 runs.

In reply, WI was equally miserable with bat and despite the fifty by Shivnariane Chanderpaul, they managed to score only 169. India finally won the match by 20 runs.

Now, batting woe from both side is a good sign for Bangladesh. Wicket may be the prime reason for the poor show.

sunniath
January 25, 2007, 10:20 PM
wi wickets are low as well.this may give bd batsmen some comfort as they are used to play in low and slow wickets.

shovon13
January 25, 2007, 11:33 PM
my take on the issues:
pilot:wc should be his last international outing.mushfiq is the obvious replacement,but for the world cup,mashud's experience will be handy in case our top order fails.
rasel:i dont see any difference between him,tapash,and sharif bowling wise.all three bowl around 70-75 mph with no real threat to quality batsmen.in wi,wickets will be flat and low.so all three will be smashed around the park.tapash and sharif have improved their batting significantly.but sharif's ability to swing old ball will add variation to the bowling attack.plus masri still seems uncomfortable bolwing in slog overs.sharif can be handy in this scenario.so,i will pick sharif.
opener:stay with mehrab jr.bd pinch hitters will get out in no time in front of quality fast bowling and create pressure on nafees.if mehrab can stay in the middle,it will provide stability in the top order.if on of the pinch hitters is chosen,then we will have three hard hitters in a row.tamim/junaed,aftab and ash.these three guys can get out in one over trying to hit six/four.in order to put some stability,i will choose mehrab as nafees' partner.

sounds like an analysis done by a famous journalist who has 3 personal assistants going to the matches for him and providing him with reports. dont mean that as an insult man...but have you drawn your conclusions based on what you have watched, or heard?

tapash is much faster than both sharif and rasel, clocking over 80 pretty regularly. your speculation about sharif's ability with the old ball is correct. i agree that he may have the best chance to be included as the third pacer.

masri never was uncomfortable bowling the slog overs, none more so than any of our other bowlers. besides the taylor debacle, i dont remember him messing up too many times in the death. besides, if we want our strike bowler to grow, then we better let him bowl at the death. i'm glad some of you guys on this board aren't applying for coaching positions.

i felt the strongest about your decision to stick with mehrab jr. its okay if we let tamim have a couple of games (rest nafees during those games) in zimbabwe. but the selectors would be taking a backwards step by not sticking with mehrab in the world cup. maybe he'll have to give up his oneday job to tamim/junaed/sadat, or maybe not.....but not yet for sure.

mushfiq yes. pilot no. gilchrist can pull out a team from 68/6 to 300/9. mashud would best at 170/9. mushfiq isn't there yet, but he has the potential of atleast over 200.

sunniath
January 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
sounds like an analysis done by a famous journalist who has 3 personal assistants going to the matches for him and providing him with reports. dont mean that as an insult man...but have you drawn your conclusions based on what you have watched, or heard?

tapash is much faster than both sharif and rasel, clocking over 80 pretty regularly. your speculation about sharif's ability with the old ball is correct. i agree that he may have the best chance to be included as the third pacer.

masri never was uncomfortable bowling the slog overs, none more so than any of our other bowlers. besides the taylor debacle, i dont remember him messing up too many times in the death. besides, if we want our strike bowler to grow, then we better let him bowl at the death. i'm glad some of you guys on this board aren't applying for coaching positions.

i felt the strongest about your decision to stick with mehrab jr. its okay if we let tamim have a couple of games (rest nafees during those games) in zimbabwe. but the selectors would be taking a backwards step by not sticking with mehrab in the world cup. maybe he'll have to give up his oneday job to tamim/junaed/sadat, or maybe not.....but not yet for sure.

mushfiq yes. pilot no. gilchrist can pull out a team from 68/6 to 300/9. mashud would best at 170/9. mushfiq isn't there yet, but he has the potential of atleast over 200.
interesting comments.i have seen all of these players playing for the national team.i personally did not feel any difference between tapash,rasel and sharif.rasel is probably the slowest of the three,but none of them bowls fast enough to trouble quality batsmen on regular basis.you are probably correct on tapash's pace as he obviously puts the most effort while bowling.i really dont know how fast each of these fellows bowls.but they do not excite me as pacers.that is why i put them in the same bracket.

now comes the issue of masri.leaving the taylor nightmare,he is usually not economical in his last spell.i cant give you the economy rates of his different spells,but if you follow bd games carefully, you will notice this as well.if bowling in the slog overs is sharif's speciality,then he should be brought to the side.dont get me wrong.i am not writing like others to kick players out of the team for one bad performance.but wc is not the place to practice to bowl in the slog.bd team should work with masri to make him more effective toward the end.my point is, get the specialists for the optimal performance now.groom and train players for the rest of the season.we are getting too excited with our bowlers after playing with teams like zim and scot.i think any of our premiere division teams can defeat these sides.i dont want to comment on your statement on being the coach.it does not worth a response.

i am not going to compare pilot/mushfiq with gili.you mentioned that pilot can help the team rech 170.dont forget that this is the general case of our team.every now and then, we score 220-235 range.but most of the time, when we are 5/6 wickets down before the team reaches 100/120,pilot pulls the team up to a respectable total.i have no doubt in mushfiq's ability and to me,he is a better batsman than pilot.but does he have the temperment to take the pressure of wc?historically, our selectors have thrown out new players from the team whenever they were under fire.ehsanul was dropped from the team after wc and he never returned to the side.i want mushfiq to stay and that is why i want to give him as much time as possible to become mentally tougher.that is why i went for pilot.regardless what happens in wc,he is going to leave the team.then mishfiq will come to the side and will have four years of experience before playing the next wc.i hope you will now understand why i made my initial comments.

shovon13
January 26, 2007, 06:02 PM
i dont want to comment on your statement on being the coach.it does not worth a response.

lol of course not. that wasn't so much a comment but an intended baash.

well, pretty much all our bowlers tend to be expensive at the death besides razzak. i hope sharif can bring about a change to that. that'd be nice.

i prefer rushing mushfiq into this wc squad solely because of that number....170. that wont get us a win. if we're gonna lose, there is not much difference between 120 and 170. so lets test out mushfiq in the zimbabwe tour, and see if he's capable of playing big innings at a fluent pace (like the one he played against sussex). if not, i'd rather let tushar keep in the wc squad, given that his keeping is up to par. maybe i just lost my faith in pilot, but i dont even see him scoring a 35 off 45 anymore.

Miraz
January 28, 2007, 06:21 AM
India paid the price for becoming too confident. After losing so many matches, only two consecutive wins and they start experimenting!!! ridiculous.

Two masterful innings by Samuels and Lara ensured WI win the match by 3 wickets despite some late hiccups.

Final Score : India 268 (Uthappa 70, Sachin 60, Dravid 57). WI 270/7 (Samules 98, Lara 83).

Uthappa was explosive in his innings, he will be fighting for the opening slot in the world cup along with Ganguly and Gambhir.

Mohiul
January 28, 2007, 07:07 AM
I'm totally agreed with the statement of Faruk on Farhad's performance but not with the replacement issue. In my opinion, the performance of our bowling department is better than batting department. So, by replacing Sharif with Farhad, selectors made our batting more weak, didn't they?

I know that Sharif has improved his batting in the recent times but the question is will this improved batting from Sharif fulfill our demand of batting that we saw Farhad doing in the recent past series?

I think our selectors should justify this concern more closely.

Farhad
January 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
Im kinda surprised by all this Farhad and Mehrab Jr stuff. I never agreed with Farhads inclusion in the team, nor with Mehrab Jr's. Not too many ppl were against it. Now, with Tamims inclusion, hus done ALOT more to deserve it than either Mehrab or Farhad, theres alot of opposition. Why is that so? (And i mean that in a genuinely interested way)

Miraz
January 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
Bermuda as part of their world cup preparation is currently playing World Cricket League. Yesterday, they registered a 55 run win against Uganda in a practice match. Bermuda won the toss and batted, making 247 all out in 44.1 overs. In reply Uganda was bundled out for 192 despite a brilliant innings from Hamza Almuzahim (86*).

cricket_king
January 28, 2007, 06:04 PM
Im kinda surprised by all this Farhad and Mehrab Jr stuff. I never agreed with Farhads inclusion in the team, nor with Mehrab Jr's. Not too many ppl were against it. Now, with Tamims inclusion, hus done ALOT more to deserve it than either Mehrab or Farhad, theres alot of opposition. Why is that so? (And i mean that in a genuinely interested way)

Perhaps the selectors looked for the player with better technique. In that case, farhad and mehrab would be a more suitable choice over tamim. Or it could've been that either tamim might have been in bad form or mehrab and farhad were in good form along with tamim, but got a chance before him because they seemed to be a little more defensive with a better technique. Plus farhad and mehrab can both bowl unlike tamim.

But i also believe that tamim should have got a chance ahead of them and i didnt agree with the inclusion of mehrab let alone farhad. But this is a good time for tamim to come into the team..........he seems to be at his peak right now

Miraz
January 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
Bermuda is continuing its miserable run in their world cup preparation. After a poor caribbean tour they lost the opening match of the World Cricket League to Kenya by a huge margin of 10 wickets. They failed to put up any fight in the match.

Final Score

Bermuda 133 (39.3 ov) - DA Minors 52 (76)
Kenya 137/0 (18.1 ov) - MA Ouma 56* (51) and DO Obuya 75* (57)

al Furqaan
January 29, 2007, 10:26 AM
has bermuda won a single ODI or come close?

how did they qualify for the world cup...i woulda thought namibia were much stronger...and to think we actually lost once upon a time to these guys...oh how times change!

Miraz
January 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
Here's few words from Jayawardane, IMO, the best capatin of current cricket.

"Now we have a bowling attack that would suit any wicket anywhere in the world. We are in a better situation because our pace has improved. We have three guys who bowl more than 140 kph, some are going at 150 kph it is something new. We've got a world class left-armer (Chaminda Vaas) to open the bowling who hits the right areas more often than anybody. You back that up with Murali (Muttiah Muralitharan) and we have a lot of attacking options. It has actually improved our game a lot overall,"

Plain and simple, Sri Lanka has got the best bowling line up of this group. Our batsmen need to do something extraordinary to have any chance in the match against tem.

khalifa
January 29, 2007, 01:27 PM
[quote=Miraz;366475]Here's few words from Jayawardane, IMO, the best capatin of current cricket.

"Now we have a bowling attack that would suit any wicket anywhere in the world. We are in a better situation because our pace has improved. We have three guys who bowl more than 140 kph, some are going at 150 kph it is something new. We've got a world class left-armer (Chaminda Vaas) to open the bowling who hits the right areas more often than anybody. You back that up with Murali (Muttiah Muralitharan) and we have a lot of attacking options. It has actually improved our game a lot overall,"

Shanghatic.....BD batter-der khobor ase :(

kalpurush
January 29, 2007, 01:29 PM
Here's few words from Jayawardane, IMO, the best capatin of current cricket.
Plain and simple, Sri Lanka has got the best bowling line up of this group. Our batsmen need to do something extraordinary to have any chance in the match against tem.

Miraz bhai: Upon agreed with your above statement, I believe our chances of odds to hunt down India ia way higher than SL. If we can, then by beating Burmuda we have a good chance to qualify 2nd round. Now, time to play wait and see game!:-D

al Furqaan
January 29, 2007, 07:50 PM
[quote=Miraz;366475]Here's few words from Jayawardane, IMO, the best capatin of current cricket.

Shanghatic.....BD batter-der khobor ase :(

not impressed at all. are SL tough? of course, in fact, they are the team to beat in group B. but lets see how SL's bowlers do against indian batsman.

they have 3 guys that bowl 140 k, but maharoof is hot-cold, and fernando hasn't done anything lately. of course you can never count them out, but we aren't facing lee, mcgrath, pollock, or asif.

malinga is the only guy that scares me, but he could go for 60 runs in any given spell. vaas has lost much of his luster, and the last few times we've faced murali, he's been quite ordinary (2-40 is not exactly terrorism).

with all that being said, even if we beat india, i expect us to be soundly beaten by SL. but we are also capable of beating SL though they are a much better outfit than we are.

BD-Shardul
January 30, 2007, 01:39 AM
I think you are right Al Furqan Bhai. I have seen that our batters now can handle Vaas and Murali pretty well. So, they should be very careful in decoding Malinga and Zoysa.

Another thing that our Bowlers should remember:

1. Get rid of Jayasuriya or Tharanga as early as possible.
2. Remember that Lanka tail is very good. They have Vaas, Maharoof, and some other allrounders who can turn the match even after a top order batting collapse. So be cautious. Dont celebrate until you win.

3.Remember Lankas hitting ability in the slog overs. You guys need to take extra ordinary preparation to tackle that.

cricket_king
January 30, 2007, 02:10 AM
yeah sri lanka's probably the team to beat in group b. Their batting order is as good as their bowling order, but we must keep in mind that some of these players arent in their prime form. Jayawardene was absolutely shocking against new zealand. As some of their bowlers like fernando and maharoof.

i think that they have a fairly fragile batting order as long as we can knock out jayasuriya and that jerk tharanga. I HATE THAT GUY! :mad:

Anyways, we'll see how we go. :flag:

Mav
January 30, 2007, 02:14 AM
I have a feeling we r going to be miserable in the WC.
BCB is trying too many players for the selection- since some of them performed recently in domestic cricket.

Come on, Playing in WC is a dream come true, so some might gave their best for it - but that doesn't mean BCB should send him in WORLD CUP.

Send the players, who have been performer for a long time - not recently.
Send the team that has been winning for a while.
No new faces pls.

But hujuge bangali.........ke kar kotha shune....

sadi
January 30, 2007, 09:17 AM
I would be more worried when they are facing Fernando or Mahroof. For some unknown reasons, these are the bowlers that always get wickets against Bangladesh. After facing bowlers like Vaas, Malinga and Murali, Bangladeshi batters get complicent against these bowlers and throw away their wickets. These are all international bowlers and we need to bat well for whole 50 overs to have any chance against Srilanka.

Miraz
January 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
I think, Maharoof and Fernando varies the pace of the deliveries more often than Vaas and Malinga.

This might not work against Aussie batsmen or other top teams but our boys easily fall victim to these mixed up deliveries and get out.

BangladeshCricket
January 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think we are expecting too much from our mediocre batsmen, so time for us to lower our expectations in WC. We will have more time to nurture these batsmen for next WC.

Kabir
January 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
not impressed at all. are SL tough? of course, in fact, they are the team to beat in group B. but lets see how SL's bowlers do against indian batsman.

they have 3 guys that bowl 140 k, but maharoof is hot-cold, and fernando hasn't done anything lately. of course you can never count them out, but we aren't facing lee, mcgrath, pollock, or asif.

malinga is the only guy that scares me, but he could go for 60 runs in any given spell. vaas has lost much of his luster, and the last few times we've faced murali, he's been quite ordinary (2-40 is not exactly terrorism).

The underlying assumption in this argument is that our batsmen are specialist and consistent. Just because it worked once/twice doesn't mean it has to work all the time...in fact, we've got more proofs of our batsmen failing to score than our batsmen scoring impressively with consistency.

Regardless of who we are facing, our batsmen are only capable of scoring some big runs against Zimbabwe at the moment. The score against SL in CT was impressive, but that also came at the cost of our top-order failure.

Miraz
February 1, 2007, 07:53 AM
India back to its best with all old guns firing at the same time. Not at all a good sign for Bangladesh.

In form Sachin, Sourav and Dravid will be too much for Bangladesh. Anyway, India is always king at homesoil. :)

Bermuda's frustration is continuing. Despite some good batting performance they slipped in the last few overs and conceded the match against Ireland.

Bermuda's 275/8 against Irish bowling line up is really impressive.

kalpurush
February 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
India back to its best with all old guns firing at the same time. Not at all a good sign for Bangladesh.

In form Sachin, Sourav and Dravid will be too much for Bangladesh. Anyway, India is always king at homesoil. :)

Well, their batting performance is inconsistant too! If they show their consistancy against SL series, then BD might be in real danger!!:-D

PoorFan
February 2, 2007, 02:19 AM
India seems to be getting their form back! BD's chances looks even thin.:head: Can they make an upset in WC?!

istiak
February 2, 2007, 03:42 AM
Tendulkar just got another century in Ranji final in 113 balls. His getting back form is not a good info for us!

Carte Blanche
February 2, 2007, 04:28 AM
India seems to be getting their form back! BD's chances looks even thin.:head: Can they make an upset in WC?!

That's why the game isn't played on paper, my friend ;)

As for the Pilot issue, this will probably be the guy's last ever world cup. It's not all about youth and skills at the most important world stage tournament. He brings a wealth of experience, and I feel that he has a lot more to contribute to the team being an old stalwart than many of his jittery replacements can. Imagine a young kid being thrown to the sharks without ample international experience. He chokes and everyone will be calling for his head. I know it's a dicey situation, but we're better off with Pilot than without. I hail BCB's decision to press the selectors to cement Pilot's berth.

Miraz
February 2, 2007, 05:21 PM
Bangladesh landed at Harare, safe and sound but some luggages are missing according to media reports.

The weather of Harare is threatening the whole ODI series. That's really annoying. After sacrificing Premier League and such a hectic journey, passing time in Harare with matches abandoned due to rain is the last thing Bangladesh want.

If matches go on according to schedule, Bangladesh should establish their superiority right from the first match.

BangladeshFan
February 2, 2007, 06:42 PM
a young inzamam and moin khan were pivotal for pakistan winning the WC in 92. similar is true when 23 yr old kapil dev captained india to WC win in 1983 leading from the front. even though Bd has no chance of winning the WC, we can see those seasoned indian/pak selectors put faith on their young guns and got their return and they certainly know better than our Bd selectors.

i am all for mushfiq in the WC team and pilot excluded. pilot was a good fighter but he is past it now and the team comes first.

SMHasan
February 2, 2007, 08:33 PM
The weather forecast isn't that bad for the 1st one dayer. Hope it doesn't rain.

Farhad
February 2, 2007, 09:20 PM
The weather forecast isn't that bad for the 1st one dayer. Hope it doesn't rain.

Oh....I dont think those forecasts mean anything....Ive learned not to trust them. I say this only because im supposed to be in freezing snow storms according to the weather channel. ITS FREAKING 45 DEGREES!!Im actually sweating my #$$ off!!

P.S Yeah, i know, 45 degrees isnt exactly weather you sweat in, but im used to the cold!

SMHasan
February 2, 2007, 09:44 PM
Oh....I dont think those forecasts mean anything....Ive learned not to trust them. I say this only because im supposed to be in freezing snow storms according to the weather channel. ITS FREAKING 45 DEGREES!!Im actually sweating my #$$ off!!

P.S Yeah, i know, 45 degrees isnt exactly weather you sweat in, but im used to the cold!

If it's 45 degree farenheit then it's just over 7 degree celsius. If you sweat at 7 degree selsius then your body system isn't sound. Need to sort out :)

Miraz
February 7, 2007, 06:31 AM
Bermuda finished the WCL campaign on a high after defeating finalist Scotland by 5 wickets. Their next mission is a tri series involving Bangladesh and Canada.

India is also beginning their campaign against Sri Lanka tomorrow. This series will test India's batting line up more tha the series against WI.

On the other hand, after winning the first match of the four match ODI series, Bangladesh was hammered on the second match by Zimbabwe. When India and Bermuda are gaining their form back before world cup, Bangladesh is losing ground.

I sincerely hope, Bangladesh will treat the result as an upset and will come back strongly from the next ODI.

Navarene
February 7, 2007, 07:07 AM
[বাংলা]"বাংলাদেশ আর বারমুডা এলেবেলে থাকবে আর গ্রুপের প্রথম দুটো জায়গার লড়াই টিম চ্যাপেল আর শ্রীলন্কার মধ্যেই হওয়ার কথা "[/বাংলা]

A quote from today's Anandabazar's sports news. May be tigers are deserved to be quoted as "elebele" after their pathetic show with zimbo in second ODI :(

http://www.anandabazar.com/7khela4.htm

BangladeshCricket
February 7, 2007, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately it's true, that Bangladesh will loose both the matches against Ind and SL with huge margin. I feel bad for those who are going there.
And also recently read in a thread of our Rakibul's new 'strategy' of picking new players for worldcup. Already I feel like our stupid middle order are so dumb after playing so many ODIs' still don't know how to play sensibly in ODIs.

Fazal
February 7, 2007, 06:10 PM
[quote=Navarene;369282][বাংলা]"বাংলাদেশ আর বারমুডা এলেবেলে থাকবে ...."[/বাংলা]

I think they meant [বাংলা]"বাংলাদেশ আর বারমুডা এ-লেবেলে থাকবে ...."[/বাংলা] i.e A-Level.

Imteaz
February 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately it's true, that Bangladesh will loose both the matches against Ind and SL with huge margin. I feel bad for those who are going there.
And also recently read in a thread of our Rakibul's new 'strategy' of picking new players for worldcup. Already I feel like our stupid middle order are so dumb after playing so many ODIs' still don't know how to play sensibly in ODIs.

Absolutely. This is The FACT. But Cricket is a Glorious Game of Uncertainty. We should Wait for That and Prepare for That. We should be Positive.:)

Mav
February 8, 2007, 12:28 AM
If we want to win against India -

We must study the vdo of their batsmen, specially openers.

BCB must must study - what are Indian batsmen weaker points and advise Masrafee, shahadat to bowl in such spot/heights/variation etc.

If we can pick up some quick wickets, the match will be competetive and we might have a chance to win.

cricket_king
February 8, 2007, 04:52 AM
Absolutely. This is The FACT. But Cricket is a Glorious Game of Uncertainty. We should Wait for That and Prepare for That. We should be Positive.:)

hahahaha.......i like this guy.....he's REALLY optimistic :-D

Miraz
February 11, 2007, 07:04 AM
Teams are having mixed luck ahead of world cup matches.

Bangladesh sneaked a 3-1 series victory over Zimbabwe in the 4 match series where they wobbled in occasions. Nothing really convincing ahead of crucial world cup tie. Batting order reamins a question, batting consistency remains as the main conceern and lack of form of Shahadat is worrying. Hopefully Rafiq will be fit before the world cup.

Bermuda is having some preparation to meet Bangladesh and Canada in the tri nation series. They ended the WCL with head high after defeating Scots.

India and Srilanka are playing each other. The first ODI was washed out by rain and in the second ODI, Sri Lanka registered a hard fought 5 run victory. Sanggakkara is in fine form for Sri Lankan's while Ganguly and Tendulkar are enjoying good time with bat.

India is becoming un-predictable like Pakistan, they have thrown away the advantage and lost the 2nd ODI. As always, I feel we have greater chances against India than Sri Lanka. A series defeat by Sri Lanka will make that work a bit easier for our boys.

Farhad
February 11, 2007, 03:04 PM
Bermuda is having some preparation to meet Bangladesh and Canada in the tri nation series. They ended the WCL with head high after defeating Scots.

Whats the deal with the Tri-nation series anyway....Im finding it hard to find any info on the tournament. Anybody know anything?

JamesBond
February 11, 2007, 04:59 PM
what the point of arguing about who will be in the WC squad or not, because the selectors wont come to Banglacricket and see our discussion. It would have been good if they did take our discussion in consideration instead of using their own brain only. I guess its better to use 400 brains then just 40 brains. I have my fingers crossed, I want Indian or SL to loose at least one game with BD, I want an upset. I am already counting on the Bermuda's game. I guess BD learnt their lesson with Canada in the previous WC.

akabir77
February 11, 2007, 06:08 PM
what the point of arguing about who will be in the WC squad or not, because the selectors wont come to Banglacricket and see our discussion. It would have been good if they did take our discussion in consideration instead of using their own brain only. I guess its better to use 400 brains then just 40 brains. I have my fingers crossed, I want Indian or SL to loose at least one game with BD, I want an upset. I am already counting on the Bermuda's game. I guess BD learnt their lesson with Canada in the previous WC.
then why talk altall no one listening....

it because we wanna make a point among us...

TheWatcher
February 11, 2007, 06:09 PM
Whats the deal with the Tri-nation series anyway....Im finding it hard to find any info on the tournament.
I guess you did not try hard enough.

Antigua to host Cricket World Cup warm-ups (http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=281935077507132005&an=164607078402092007&ac=Sports)

Just do a google search if you want more info.

Farhad
February 11, 2007, 08:15 PM
I guess you did not try hard enough.

Antigua to host Cricket World Cup warm-ups (http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=281935077507132005&an=164607078402092007&ac=Sports)

Just do a google search if you want more info.

Thanks for that.
So, then this is how its gonna go:

1)Bermuda (25th/2)
2)Canada (28th/2)
3)Final? :info:
4)New Zealand (6th/3)
5)Scotland (8th/3)
End of Warm-up's
6)India (17th/3)
7)Sri Lanka (21st/3)
8)Bermuda (25th/3)
TBC:info:

Miraz
February 12, 2007, 07:48 AM
India is keeping trust in the old guns despite fears of form and injury. The most notable absentee in the WC squad is Mohammad Kaif and Ramseh Powar.

The world cup squad of India.

1 Rahul Dravid (capt), 2 Sourav Ganguly, 3 Robin Uthappa, 4 Sachin Tendulkar, 5 Virender Sehwag, 6 Yuvraj Singh, 7 Mahendra Singh Dhoni, 8 Dinesh Karthik, 9 Irfan Pathan, 10 Ajit Agarkar, 11 Harbhajan Singh, 12 Anil Kumble, 13 Zaheer Khan, 14 Sreesanth, 15 Munaf Patel.

Sri Lankan selectors have also opted for experience and recalled Russel Arnold for WC. Surprise omission are Upul Chandana and Kapugedera

World Cup Squad of Srilanka
Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Sanath Jayasuriya, Upul Tharanga, Marvan Atapattu, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Russel Arnold, Chamara Silva, Chaminda Vaas, Farveez Maharoof, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Nuwan Kulasekara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Malinga Bandara

Miraz
February 12, 2007, 08:46 AM
Schedule for the Trie Series (Bangladesh, Bermuda and Canada)

25/02/07 - Bangladesh Vs Bermuda
26/02/07 - Bermuda Vs Canada
28/02/07 - Bangladesh Vs Canada

There is no final in the tri-series.

Farhad
February 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
Im waiting for the thrashing VS canada. I still have nightmares about the last loss :) What about you guys over at Canada? What did you guys do when they won? Mixed feelings? If so...:mad:

Mohiul
February 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
After returing from Zimbabwe tour, BD cricketers directly headed towards BCB office instead their home for giving their urine samples.

news source (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=24231&iCategoryID=1)

Kabir
February 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
Im waiting for the thrashing VS canada. I still have nightmares about the last loss :) What about you guys over at Canada? What did you guys do when they won? Mixed feelings? If so...:mad:

I remember what I did that day. I excitedly asked a friend: "So, how did we thrash Canada?"
He replied "You got thrashed...loser!"
I pretended that I don't follow cricket anymore...never spoke about it until last summer :D

allrounder
February 12, 2007, 05:50 PM
How is our fielding performance this time?

cricman
February 13, 2007, 08:32 PM
I've been googling other forums and lots of people have BD Upseting IND/SL and Advancing to the super 8.

Farhad
February 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
I've been googling other forums and lots of people have BD Upseting IND/SL and Advancing to the super 8.

Are you serious?? Are you sure they werent just kidding? Either way....Interest in our team shown.....Thats good..

Miraz
February 17, 2007, 07:09 AM
India convincingly won the series against Sri Lanka. They completed a 2-1 win over Sri Lanka whish is one of the best ODI side of current cricket. Yuvraz is back with a bang!

He scored 95* from 83 balls and scored 22 runs from the 6th over of Mahroof to power India to a 7 wicket win with 6 overs remaining.

It seems, India is hitting the peak at the very right time. It's definitely a worry for Bangladesh who are dreaming to make a second round berth.

Despite the series loss, I think Sri Lanka will be back in business from the start of the world cup.

Kabir
February 17, 2007, 07:33 AM
Well, honestly, it's nothing to worry about. India's always better in their own backyard...and that in reality is pretty sick. I hope you remember CT.

Oh well, all I'm concerned about is the confidence they'll get out of this.

Kabir
February 17, 2007, 07:38 AM
After returing from Zimbabwe tour, BD cricketers directly headed towards BCB office instead their home for giving their urine samples.

news source (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=24231&iCategoryID=1)

Not to worry brother...the officials were only concerned about Zimbabwean kacha maal, not the players' involvement with it. Afterall, that's a good way of browsing profitable options without having to go abroad ;)

Farhad
February 19, 2007, 12:22 PM
Whatmore's words (Daily star)
"Personally I think if we do the things we have been doing for the last four years, perhaps we will not enjoy success. We need to think a little bit more out of the box, more laterally and trying come up with a particular plan that might catch somebody unawares," he said emphasising the need for change.

Interesting thing for Whatmore to say....How in the world are they planning a "change"? Probably the reason they picked people like TI & Mushi...

Lidcombe
February 22, 2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A20054440

here is a link of bbc, ppl's r having some positive attituede abt tigers

kalpurush
February 22, 2007, 01:22 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A20054440

here is a link of bbc, ppl's r having some positive attituede abt tigers

Thanks for the link friend!:-D

cleazer
February 22, 2007, 03:12 PM
Bermuda is playing a warm-up match for the Tri-Series against Antigua right now.

Antigua batted first, and Bermuda bowled them out for 139 in 44.3 overs. Janeiro Tucker, Saleem Mukuddem, and Dwayne Leverock were all quite economical.

Looks like it's a low-scoring pitch though, as Bermuda are 46-5 in reply so far.

cleazer
February 22, 2007, 03:18 PM
here's the stats from the first half of the match:

Bermuda's Bowlers

Kevin Hurdle.............5-2-23-0
Saleem Mukuddem.....7-3-16-1
Malachi Jones...........6-0-32-1
Janeiro Tucker.........10-1-16-2
Dwayne Leverock......10-0-23-2
Delyone Borden........5.3-1-19-3
Irving Romaine..........1-0-05-0

Miraz
February 22, 2007, 06:56 PM
Code of Conduct for Bermuda players during the world cup.

> A curfew of 11 p.m. the night before a game and midnight for all other days is set to be strictly enforced.

> Any player who breaks the curfew will automatically be banned for two One-Day Internationals and receive a hefty fine of $1,000.

> Any player who breaks the curfew for a second time will be sent home immediately.

> Any player not found in the hotel room to which they have been assigned by the team manager will be fined $1,000.

> Any player who misses a training session without the coach’s express permission will be fined $200, while a second missed session will result in a $500 fine and a one-match ban.

> Late attendance at any training session will be punished by a $50 fine for each offence

On previous tours, the players were subjected to a Code of Conduct, but it is understood that any disciplinary issues were usually only dealt with after the team had returned to the Island.
On-the-spot fines of up to $1,000 are certainly unprecedented, but Board president Reggie Pearman insisted yesterday that they had both a duty and a right to insist on the highest standards of behaviour.
IMO, pretty good ones. We need even tougher ones to avoid late night partying like previous WC.

Miraz
February 23, 2007, 08:01 AM
Bermuda lost their practice match against Antigua by 24 runs in a low scoring affair.

Bermuda's World Cup preparations suffered an early jolt, losing a practice match to Antigua and Barbuda by 24 runs in a low-scorer at the Antigua Recreation Ground (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/engine/match/281349.html) in St Johns. Bermuda did well to restrict the home side to a meagre 139 in conditions which assisted the seamers but failed to chase down the target, folding for just 115.
Austin Richards, the Antigua opener who scored 183 for the Leeward Islands in the Carib Beer cup recently, top-scored with 36 and the only other batsman to cross 20 was Kerry Skepple. Richards and opener Kerry Mentore got the home aide off to a cautious start, adding 54 in 15 overs before Richards was caught at mid-off off seamer Saleem Mukuddem.
The rest failed to put together any substantial partnerships as wickets fell at regular intervals, thanks to some penetrative bowling from seamer Janeiro Tucker and left-arm spinner Dwayne Leverock. Skepple accelerated towards the end, scoring 23 off 41 balls, carting Leverock for three sixes. However, Delyone Borden wrapped up the innings with three quick wickets to signal an early end to the innings.
The Bermuda batsmen on the other hand failed to complement the efforts of their bowlers as they stumbled in the face of an impressive display in the field by the home side. Bermuda lost half their side with 45 on board and a succession of run-outs gave Antigua the upper hand. Oliver Pitcher top-scored with 38 but, by the time he was dismissed, his side was on the brink of defeat at 106 for 8.
Antigua will play Canada in another practice match on Saturday at the same venue while Bermuda play their first game of the tri-series, against Bangladesh on Sunday.

From Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/content/story/281355.html)

BanglaCool
February 23, 2007, 02:50 PM
Perhaps the selectors looked for the player with better technique. In that case, farhad and mehrab would be a more suitable choice over tamim. Or it could've been that either tamim might have been in bad form or mehrab and farhad were in good form along with tamim, but got a chance before him because they seemed to be a little more defensive with a better technique. Plus farhad and mehrab can both bowl unlike tamim.

But i also believe that tamim should have got a chance ahead of them and i didnt agree with the inclusion of mehrab let alone farhad. But this is a good time for tamim to come into the team..........he seems to be at his peak right now
I believe Tamim is a tactical choice, one that Bashar and the team managment will thoughtfully use under the correct circumstances (batting first/ excellent batting wicket/ poor bowling / desperate run chase/ failing openers). To win games tough games against superior oppositions in the world cup we need batsmen like Tamim and Aftab and need them to score atleast a half century each for run a ball or less. Others can play strategically around them.

Miraz
February 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
BCB declared some performance bonus after todays EC meeting

To spur the Bangladesh Cricket Team on in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007, the Board announced incentive bonus for the players. Accordingly, each player will receive an additional US$ 2000 (on top of the usual win bonus) per match for winning a Group Stage game. If the team qualify for the Super Eight stage then each player will receive an additional US$ 3000 (on top of the usual win bonus) for winning a game.

sar2005
February 24, 2007, 12:13 PM
Code of Conduct for Bermuda players during the world cup.

IMO, pretty good ones. We need even tougher ones to avoid late night partying like previous WC.

Very strict indeed. I got a feeling that they are probably one of the most indisciplined side which is the reason for implementing such a code of conduct by team management.

sar2005
February 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
I post it another thread but thought this is the right place.
If you have 20 minutes, just go and hear the 'One on one' (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/talk/content/multimedia/281448.html?alt=2;template=audioplayer) where Manjrekar is talking to Sangakara. They are continiously talking about 'Asian' prospect in WC07. But they have not mentioned a single time anything about Bangladesh.

Looks like they don't think there is anything to talk about Bangladesh. Only a great show in the field by BD will help us to get rid of this burning of heart.........
[বাংলা]Moner jhal mitbo kivabey[/বাংলা]

Murad
February 24, 2007, 01:51 PM
I post it another thread but thought this is the right place.
If you have 20 minutes, just go and hear the 'One on one' (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/talk/content/multimedia/281448.html?alt=2;template=audioplayer) where Manjrekar is talking to Sangakara. They are continiously talking about 'Asian' prospect in WC07. But they have not mentioned a single time anything about Bangladesh.

Looks like they don't think there is anything to talk about Bangladesh. Only a great show in the field by BD will help us to get rid of this burning of heart.........
[বাংলা]Moner jhal mitbo kivabey[/বাংলা]

have patience bro.. moner jhala meete jaabe.. jokhon amara big team-er sathe jitte thakbo..tokhon shobai amader naam loibo.. and thats not so far away.. that will be very soon....:)

Miraz
March 2, 2007, 05:14 PM
As part of the final preparation, Sri Lanka and Bermuda are playing Scotland and England respectively on this monday.

Other group members, Bangladesh and India will take on the field on Tuesday and will play against New Zealand and Netherlands respectively.

It's gonna a tough test for Bangladesh and Bermuda against relatively stronger opponenets. For India and Sri Lanka, the situation is exactly opposite.

Miraz
March 2, 2007, 07:12 PM
Habibul Bashar is quite pleased with the preparation and the outcome of the tri-series.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="newsdetails" valign="top">Habibul Bashar had said before the match that he believed Canada would be a tough opponent but even the Bangladesh captain did not quite anticipate exactly how hard the North Americans would actually come at them.
"They really surprised us," said Bangladesh captain Bashar over phone on Thursday while reflecting on Wednesday's hard-fought 13-run victory against the team they had lost to inexplicably in their last meeting in the 2003 World Cup adding, "They were positive in their batting from the start and that impressed me. Remember they were chasing 279 and that is never easy against any opposition and especially a Test team. This Canadian side definitely looked stronger than the one we lost to in 2003."
Canada at one stage were 178-1 with 14 overs to go and New Zealanders Geoff Barnett and Ian Billcliff had shared 177 for the second wicket. "We were worried but silently confident at that point because we have pulled things around from such position recently. We knew how to win from such a difficult situation and the bowlers really showed their class during the closing stages of the match. I think the difference was our experience and our winning habit," said Bashar.

The Bangladesh bowling effort left the captain disappointed but he found real positives from the batting.

"We did not bowl and field as we can. This was good preparation as Canada put us under pressure. Normally (Shahriar) Nafees and Aftab (Ahmed) give us a flying start but both batsmen fell without scoring early on and then we were 30-3 when Tamim (Iqbal) got out. So the onus was on the rest of the batsmen and I was mighty pleased with the effort," said Bashar who put on 132 for the fourth wicket with man of the match Shakib Al Hasan who cracked 134 not out, his first ODI hundred and the top individual score for a Bangladeshi batsman in one-day cricket surpassing Nafees's 123.

"Shakib's was a brilliant knock. The way he paced the innings was remarkable. He never missed putting away the bad balls and towards the end slogged beautifully. Our ploy was not to get bogged down and maintain a good run-rate which we managed to achieve. It was great playing with him and we both felt very comfortable batting together."
There was praise for Mohammad Ashraful also from the captain. Ashraful blasted a 45-ball 60.

"It was good to see Ashraful playing like Ashraful," said Bashar.

Bashar made a fine 57 in his 100th ODI appearance and became the first Bangladeshi batsman to complete 2000 ODI runs when he crossed 37. He is the third Bangladesh player to play in 100 matches after Mohammad Rafique and Khaled Mashud.

"I was not aware of the 100-ODI mark. It was only when a photographer wanted to take some special photos at the toss did I realise that."
The Bangladesh squad left Antigua on Thursday afternoon after training in the morning and is in Barbados now where they will play two more practice games against New Zealand (on March 6) and Scotland (March 8) before flying off to Jamaica on the 9th for the World Cup's opening ceremony.

On arrival in Bridgetown Bashar told the Nation newspaper that after planning for several months he believed Bangladesh can topple their Group B opponents and make the second round of the tournament.

"Everything is in place and everything looks very good. We had a very good week in Antigua where things have started to fall into place and we are shaping up very well for the World Cup," he said.
</td> <td align="right" valign="top" width="180"> </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Miraz
March 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
Both India and Bangladesh made perfect preparation before the world cup. Almost everything went right for Bangladesh. India crushed WI in the final warm up.

On the other hand Sri Lanka suffered defeat in the final warm up against New Zealand after comfortably defeating Scotland.

Bermuda was clueless in its preparation matches.

Now, from the warm up results, Bangladesh should give good fight against both Sri Lanka and India