PDA

View Full Version : how fast are they???

al Furqaan
January 19, 2007, 10:41 PM
just wanted to know from the truly seasoned BD cricket fans: how fast are all of our pacers?

prince - ???
saiful islam - ???
shanto - ???
monju - ???
Md Sharif - ???
Tarek Aziz - ???

Chacha - 120 kph, 72 mph
Tapash - 125-135 k, 78-85 mph
Mash - 130-135 k, 80-85 mph
Rajib - 130-140 k, 80-87 mph
Rasel - 115-125 k, 70-75 mph

am i forgetting anyone? looks like rajib was the quickest ever (other than pre-injury mash).

al Furqaan
January 19, 2007, 10:52 PM
forgot talha...seems he was pretty quick by BD standards...135 k, 85 mph

AsifTheManRahman
January 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
monju, sharif, saiful, aziz - 120-130k
shanto - 125-135k

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 01:18 AM
Yup...I agree with Asif....
Shanto during his peak 95'-98' was pretty fast at times and quite erratic and wayward as well...But he was then the only BD bowler who at times could come up with a hostile spell which was completely new for us BD fans...Even in the '95 Asia Cup when I saw him for the first time in the International arena he did impress one and all straight away...Two outswingers and then an unplayable inswinger which found Roshan Mahanama speechless and more importantly wicketless!....Srilankans were 8-2 on a batting Paradise in Sharjah with young Shanto and experienced Saiful with his tail up...We had eventually gotten the World beating Lankans to be all out for 233 but our batsmen let us down that day....In the same tournament I remember Shanto giving away 13 runs against Pakistan in the first over and then producing an unplayable delivery in the same over to get rid off Aamir Sohail...I can still hear Tony Cozier say...'THATS A BEAUTY!'...sent shivers through my spine in a proud way...First time seeing a real Bangladeshi fast bowler getting ppl out with real raw pace and swing.. and mind you these were the days when Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar were the most feared opening pair in World Cricket...Those were some memories....So yeah getting back to the point...Shanto during his hay days - 130 - 135k
Talha - 130 - 135k (Just one SA tour where he impressed with his pace and then got lost somehow with injuries and other stuffs..)
Tapash - 128 - 135K ..pretty pacey at times... He is one bowler who I admire and really shud be in the squad...Anyone remembers the West Indies tour...This guy has been so consistent...where is he ?
Saiful Islam - 120 - 125K - more of a swing bowler and trust me ! He could swing the cricket ball!....Thats pretty much it...
Monju - 120 -126K - All swing and very little pace...
Sharif - 120 -130K -Career shortened by injury.
Aziz - 120-130K - He was an ok bowler. Hi highlight would be that Zimbabwe win...

Miraz
January 20, 2007, 08:01 AM
prince - 120-130 Kph
saiful islam - 115 - 130 Kph
shanto - 120-135 Kph
Monju - 115 - 130 Kph
Md Sharif - 125-135 Kph (now I guess 120-130 Kph)
Tarek Aziz - 120-130 Kph

Orion
January 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
BCB is earning a lot of money now. It should be utilized properly. We need a permanent pace academy in Bangladesh. And a permanent fast bowling coach like Troy Cooley of Australia.

kalpurush
January 20, 2007, 10:00 AM
How about Washim Akram as our fast bowling coach?

al Furqaan
January 20, 2007, 12:21 PM
a lotta ppl were sayin tarek could bowl up 140 k like rajib...hmmm

seems like we have a lot of 130 guys but have trouble gettin to the 140 mark and beyond. i suspect that will change at WC where mash and rajib will be bowling under juiced up radars :)

roaring tigerz
January 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
Shanto during his peak 95'-98' was pretty fast at times and quite erratic and wayward as well...But he was then the only BD bowler who at times could come up with a hostile spell which was completely new for us BD fans...Even in the '95 Asia Cup when I saw him for the first time in the International arena he did impress one and all straight away...Two outswingers and then an unplayable inswinger which found Roshan Mahanama speechless and more importantly wicketless!....Srilankans were 8-2 on a batting Paradise in Sharjah with young Shanto and experienced Saiful with his tail up...We had eventually gotten the World beating Lankans to be all out for 233 but our batsmen let us down that day....In the same tournament I remember Shanto giving away 13 runs against Pakistan in the first over and then producing an unplayable delivery in the same over to get rid off Aamir Sohail...I can still hear Tony Cozier say...'THATS A BEAUTY!'...sent shivers through my spine in a proud way...First time seeing a real Bangladeshi fast bowler getting ppl out with real raw pace and swing.. and mind you these were the days when Aamir Sohail and Saeed Anwar were the most feared opening pair in World Cricket...Those were some memories....So yeah getting back to the point...Shanto during his hay days - 130 - 135k
Talha - 130 - 135k (Just one SA tour where he impressed with his pace and then got lost somehow with injuries and other stuffs..)
Tapash - 128 - 135K ..pretty pacey at times... He is one bowler who I admire and really shud be in the squad...Anyone remembers the West Indies tour...This guy has been so consistent...where is he ?
Saiful Islam - 120 - 125K - more of a swing bowler and trust me ! He could swing the cricket ball!....Thats pretty much it...
Monju - 120 -126K - All swing and very little pace...
Sharif - 120 -130K -Career shortened by injury.
Aziz - 120-130K - He was an ok bowler. Hi highlight would be that Zimbabwe win...

LOL! Bhai apni ki shantor bhatija lagen? Shanto amader akhoner rasel, mashrafee, shahadat der hatur nicheo ashbe na. well maybe he was faster than chacha,saiful and co. but that doesn't say too much about his 'hostility' does it?

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 02:05 PM
I actually didnt say he was or is better than these new generation bowlers....I have a soft corner for all those old players which takes me back to those days....It almost like I have seen a child grow up...and thats when in Shanto's bowling just for a sec I thought this child will learn to walk after a while....U probably wont understand what Im saying....But someone who has been following Bangladesh cricket since '92 or before that will surely know what I meant....

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2007, 02:10 PM
I actually didnt say he was or is better than these new generation bowlers....I have a soft corner for all those old players which takes me back to those days....It almost like I have seen a child grow up...and thats when in Shanto's bowling just for a sec I thought this child will learn to walk after a while....U probably wont understand what Im saying....But someone who has been following Bangladesh cricket since '92 or before that will surely know what I meant....

yeap, know that feeling :)

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks Asif..

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
a lotta ppl were sayin tarek could bowl up 140 k like rajib...hmmm

seems like we have a lot of 130 guys but have trouble gettin to the 140 mark and beyond. i suspect that will change at WC where mash and rajib will be bowling under juiced up radars :)

juiced up radars, eh? :)

taposh is actually a lot faster than most people think. i wouldn't be surprised if he's THE fastest. i remember there was this one time in south africa when he was clocking above 135 k's every other delivery. i think he got pretty close to 140 at times too - 138/139 - or maybe even beyond. heck even masri used to struggle to keep up with him.

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 02:17 PM
Thats true....Tapash can be really pacey at times...Remember the last time England visited us?...He bowled with raw pace as well.....I agree...A fully fit Tapash can be as fast as Mashrafee if not more....

Miraz
January 20, 2007, 02:19 PM

taposh is actually a lot faster than most people think. i wouldn't be surprised if he's THE fastest. i remember there was this one time in south africa when he was clocking above 135 k's every other delivery. i think he got pretty close to 140 at times too - 138/139 - or maybe even beyond. heck even masri used to struggle to keep up with him.

Tapash can surprise with his pace. he usually bowls around 120-130 but suddenly he can produce a delivery well above 135 mark. Anyway, he bowls too many short balls and that's why get punished.

Shehwar, about Shanto, I know the feeling. During our college time (1990-92), we have seen the emergence of young Shanto as the fastest bowler of that time along with Anis. I hope few members can remember Anis.

I still remember watching him bowling in SAARC cricket tournament in the last few overs.

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 02:25 PM
Oh yeah Miraz...I remember Anis......How can I forget that 94 SAARC tournament? We beat India by 1 run and they had the likes of Prasad, Manjarekar and Kambli in their side....Anis had an awesome tournament.....Remember how Anis and Saiful blasted out Srilanka A for just 168...taking 5 wickets in in just two overs?...They were devastating!.....We shud have also beaten Pakistan A if it wasnt for that misfielding of our keeper...Who was the keeper..do u remember? Was it Jahangir or Debashish Borua?....I remember I cried after we lost that match to Pakistan A by 1 wicket......Yeah...anyways....I remember all that Miraz...That was some tournament for us..

Kabir
January 20, 2007, 02:27 PM
LOL! Bhai apni ki shantor bhatija lagen? Shanto amader akhoner rasel, mashrafee, shahadat der hatur nicheo ashbe na. well maybe he was faster than chacha,saiful and co. but that doesn't say too much about his 'hostility' does it?

Na...shanto'r bhatija is my friend. And he doesn't live in UK.

Miraz
January 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
Oh yeah Miraz...I remember Anis......How can I forget that 94 SAARC tournament? We beat India by 1 run and they had the likes of Prasad, Manjarekar and Kambli in their side....Anis had an awesome tournament.....Remember how Anis and Saiful blasted out Srilanka A for just 168...taking 5 wickets in in just two overs?...They were devastating!.....We shud have also beaten Pakistan A if it wasnt for that misfielding of our keeper...Who was the keeper..do u remember? Was it Jahangir or Debashish Borua?....I remember I cried after we lost that match to Pakistan A by 1 wicket......Yeah...anyways....I remember all that Miraz...That was some tournament for us..

It was Jahangir. Here's the scorecard of India A vs Bangladesh match. I feel lucky to watch that win live. :)

Bangladesh Vs India A, SAARC cricket Tournament 94 (http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1994-95/OD_TOURNEYS/SAARC/BDESH_IND-A_SAARC_26DEC1994.html)

And for younger generation, here's the tournament we are talking ..

SAARC cricket tournament 94 (http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1994-95/OD_TOURNEYS/SAARC/)

billah
January 20, 2007, 02:42 PM
How about Washim Akram as our fast bowling coach?

If you offer him, he will accept the position.

Ehsan
January 20, 2007, 03:14 PM
The last time I saw Tapash and Masri together, Tapash was bowling faster consistently. His problem lies in line and length. He can be smart and used to be, the current Tapash is only thriving for pace and hence messing up his line and length giving away runs. Once Tapash can fix that line and length problem, I will take him ahead of Russel any day.

BangladeshFan
January 20, 2007, 03:43 PM
of all the pacers so far played for Bangladesh, i think mashrafi is the best of the lot. he may not be really quick but he got the control and swing. his height is also good for a pacer. rarely u will see him bowling bad deliveries(except that taylor over ofcourse). shahadat is not bad but he still has lot to prove, lets see how he gets matured.bd produced some good pacers over the years but they never were that consistent. saiful was medium pace but often bowled bad deliveries with good ones and let the batsman get away. same problem with anis who thought he was really quick and tried to blow the batsman away when he should be just concentrating on line and length. shanto i think was better than the lot of his time but he too was guily of bowling too many loose deliveries.i ve seen prince bowl also, in 1994 he played against pakistan in dhaka. he wasnt that quick but was tall and strong. its not just about pace, its also about height and consistency which he had. playing for a team which was a complete "haru party" at that time, prince did quite well. consistent left arm pacer, he could have been an asset to the present Bd team.

al Furqaan
January 20, 2007, 05:30 PM

tapash is indeed faster than most ppl think...his fastest delivery ever was a 142 k snorter...don't where or when, but i do remember tapash talking about it (he said he was pleased/surprised to reach 142).

but the thing is tapash is like agarkar. small, very quick and erractic bowler. they cannot maintain that pace. so whereas, tapash will be right up there with mash, and very near rajib, and light years faster than rasel, after 4-5 overs, tapash will be reduced to rasel pace.

in test cricket thats a bad thing. mash and rajib can keep bowling fast, but tapash won't be able to sustain it. look at his averages, a test bowling average of 60 is as toothless as they come. rasel has that swing, and control, thus makes a better test 3rd bowler. of course an in form tapash is quite handy, and would match up well with an in form rasel in ODIs.

yea WC 2003 the radar was juiced up...all the indian pacers were consistantly clocking 140+ with ease. zaheer, agarkar, nehra hit 150 supposedly, srinath. and almost every shoaib lee ball was 150+. shoaib and lee are quick, but they don't bowl every ball over 150.

AsifTheManRahman
January 20, 2007, 05:43 PM

i remember that tournament too - i was overjoyed when we defeated india A. i think they had rajesh chouhan in the side too, if i'm not mistaken. we could have won against pakistan A too, but rafique was being a good sportsman and didn't run the non-striker out when he left his crease before he released the ball. otherwise, the batsmen were really having a hard time scoring. to add to that, we were only defending around 165 or so. see how our batsmen have ALWAYS let us down? :p

Shehwar
January 20, 2007, 06:51 PM
Yes Asif...Chouhan was there and so was V Prasad, Rahul Dravid and I remember Saurav Ganguli played in the final as well...They also had the then hard hitter Atul Bedade...Pravin Amre was probably the skipper....It was such a huge boost for us right after the disaster of ICC Trophy '94....

arafath79
January 20, 2007, 09:26 PM

Tapash is doing weel in Kai Altek premier cricket league. I would like to see him in the BD team as a third simmer instead of Reza or Syed !!

arafath79
January 20, 2007, 09:27 PM

Tapash is doing well in Kai Altek premier cricket league. He did well in the 20/20 cricket matches too. I would like to see him in the BD team as a third simmer instead of Reza or Syed !!

cricman
January 20, 2007, 09:28 PM
How is ChaCha Jr in the Same league as Rasel? I like Tapash but he has to be 100% fit to play because everytime he does horrible 2 days later we find out oh he was hurt!

AsifTheManRahman
January 21, 2007, 12:17 AM
It was such a huge boost for us right after the disaster of ICC Trophy '94....

the icc trophy in 1994 was probably the first one that i followed. i still remember listening to the radio when we were playing kenya in the match where we ended up scoring 280+ in reply to kenya's 290+ or so. my dad and uncle were really upset after the game. being a nine year old back then, i wasn't really sure why they were so down - i mean sure, bangladesh lost, but why would you have to be so silent for the rest of the day? back then, i didn't realize what it meant to lose an opportunity to make it to the world cup, especially when you were expected to.

i think i started following cricket in 1992, with the world cup. i remember the first australia vs new zealand game that david boon won for the aussies. i was in hawaii until 1990, or else i guess i would have started following the game earlier. 1992 was also the year that i started watching premier league games (abahani vs mohammedan) on tv.

shamster
January 25, 2007, 05:26 PM
Shafaq Al Jaber ? must be of decent pace ?

Tigers_eye
January 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
I have reservation for Taposh. Especially from the English tour. That 7 overs 87 runs haunts me every time I think of Taposh. Another incident reminds me of Taposh 3rd ODI against SL at Chittagong. What bowling Mash and Rasel did in first 10 overs. SL was 23/2 in ten overs I believe. Then came Taposh. 5 overs 43 runs. Enough as a 1st change bowler. No amount of pace would do any good if the line and length is bad. The Game slipped away from us right there.

As for Talha, he don't have the height but he use to have pace too. He clocked 90 in international matches. Andy Roberts was really high on this boy. But injury pushed him back. He got a 5 wicket haul against Brothers in the premier league.

gatekeeper
January 25, 2007, 07:50 PM

I too have a soft corner for Shanto. And I literally saw him grow up in front of me. I think his problem is that when he was good at age 17 to 20, there wasn't anyone like him in BD and he was an automatic for the National team. This got to him and lead to indisciplined lifestyle. And a blink later there were half dozen or so ready to take his place.

The present lot is a lot better than he ever was though.

AsifTheManRahman
January 25, 2007, 07:52 PM
did you really watch talha clocking 90 mph in an international match? the best that i ever saw of him was mid-130's (kph).

shovon13
January 25, 2007, 07:58 PM

shanto was pretty damn good in his day. too bad he wasn't born a few years later. shanto (like the others back in the days) barely got a fraction of the exposure this present lot gets.

Nasif
January 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Mash - 130-135 k, 80-85 mph

Mashrafe in his earlier days clocked at max. 92.5mph/148.9kph (during BD/NZ series in NZ)

al Furqaan
January 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
I have reservation for Taposh. Especially from the English tour. That 7 overs 87 runs haunts me every time I think of Taposh. Another incident reminds me of Taposh 3rd ODI against SL at Chittagong. What bowling Mash and Rasel did in first 10 overs. SL was 23/2 in ten overs I believe. Then came Taposh. 5 overs 43 runs. Enough as a 1st change bowler. No amount of pace would do any good if the line and length is bad. The Game slipped away from us right there.

As for Talha, he don't have the height but he use to have pace too. He clocked 90 in international matches. Andy Roberts was really high on this boy. But injury pushed him back. He got a 5 wicket haul against Brothers in the premier league.

tapash might have cost us the series, but he deserves a re-call...every player has that horrifying moment (mash last over 18 runs, uggg).

talha is quite tall, 5-10 or 5-11. i dunno if he ever reached 90 mph, but there is an cricinfo article listing the top speeds of all 14 teams in WC 2003 bowlers and talha got 138 k which is about 86 mph. so talha was def one of our fastest bowlers ever. i personally saw him get to 135 k easily against india in 2004.

al Furqaan
January 25, 2007, 08:46 PM
Mashrafe in his earlier days clocked at max. 92.5mph/148.9kph (during BD/NZ series in NZ)

that speed is mash's current speed (post knee reconstruction, lower back stress fractures, et al.). mash now is more concerned with line and length rather than out and out pace.

and i know he broke the 90 mph barrier, but did he really throw one down that was that quick i.e 92.5?

also, has any other BD bowler ever clocked 90 mph???

roaring tigerz
January 26, 2007, 12:42 AM

nostalgia and sentimentality is one thing, utter distortion of facts is completely another. According to statistics Shanto is only 29. At this age, fast bowlers are supposed to be in their pomp. But Shanto does not measure up to the bowlers who represent Bangladesh now. I saw every televised game he was involved in. An ODI average of 46 and a Test average of 95 is testament to his calibre. Enough said!

sadi
January 26, 2007, 09:19 AM
Well there is no point comparing Shanto to our current days pacers. Shanto was our number one pacer back in nineties and he was pretty good around that time. Unfortunately, we didn't have the kinda of pacers we have right now to measure Shanto against them. He is nowhere close to Mashrafee or Shahadat right now and noone is comparing him. I saw him bowling in mid 130kms very easily. He is way older than 29 I believe. If Cricinfo says he is 29, you can easily add two or three years to it and at age 32-33, most pacers are gone.

Kabir
January 26, 2007, 09:33 AM
He was one of my cousin's friend...and she's at least 7/8 years older than me. And if I remember correctly, he was a year or two older than my cousin. So there you go...I am pretty sure Sadi's estimate is kinda close.

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 12:24 PM
once again,
yes it is true that we have far better fasties than shanto in the team right now. god blessed us right there. but in the same time we have to remember that when shanto used to play, mashrafee or shahadat did not exist. he was the best at his time. he had a lot of contriubtions to the team. for a long time he was the main strike bowler. so we should never forget about his contributions to the team.
same about akram, bulbul and nannu. maybe our batsman now has far better techniques than these old fellows. but we have to remember that they are our foundations. for them we are now able to build our sky scraper.