PDA

View Full Version : BC preparation thread for World Cup 2007

Tehsin
January 22, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hello everyone,

With the World Cup starting in a little over 6 weeks, let us get together here and plan our Carribean invasion.

We will continue to add more information in this thread - specifically, to this post - over time.

List Of BC members going:

Crazyisland: March 16-26
JamesBond: March 15-unknown
roi: March 16-26
Tehsin: March 16-22. Not hanging around for the Bermuda game. :)
Oracle: March 16-22
Beamer:
Zobair:
Gatekeeper: Not confirmed.

For those who are interested to go, check this resources (courtesy Oracle):

Accomodation: www.tnthotels.com (http://www.tnthotels.com) (You can call the hotels directly. They are an hour ahead of us. I will be at Alicias House as one of my murubbi will be there. ;) )

Tickets: Official tickets are the safest route. http://www.cricketworldcup.com/. Next round of ticket sales will commence on February 1.

VISA requirement: Those with a Bangladeshi passport will need a VISA. Here's the link: http://www.caricomimpacs.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=33
(I suggest you try to get this taken care of ASAP)

UPDATE 01302007 - I sent my application by UPS ground last week (Monday), I recieved my VISA today. That's PRETTTTY fast. :)

Flight: I am flying from Dulles (IAD). It's going to be between 500-600. I saw cheaper ticket from New York. American Airlines had some good rates.

Tehsin
January 22, 2007, 09:19 PM
Here's a quick list of people who are going to Trinidad (based on a prevous thread):

Crazyisland: March 16-26
JamesBond: March 15-unknown
roi: March 16-26
Tehsin: March 16-22. Not hanging around for the Bermuda game. :)
Oracle: March 16-22

There are many others who are going. Please join in and share your plans.

al Furqaan
January 22, 2007, 11:23 PM
whoever is going, please post here...would like to know how our BC presence will be...we need a strong showing to catalyze our tiger team.

planning on watching the game with 4-8 friends on a big screen projector at the local university...hope there is good free streams available.

Nasif
January 22, 2007, 11:39 PM
planning on watching the game with 4-8 friends on a big screen projector at the local university...hope there is good free streams available.

Watching on project from free streams! You sure will be enjoying some big square pixels ;)

Tigers_eye
January 23, 2007, 12:27 AM
Make sure you guys have bannar's bigger than mine. Saying, "Told you so, Go Tigers!!"
http://www.banglacricket.com/pictures/newpic658.jpg

BD vs Zim 5th ODI: Whitewash, a BC Banner from member Tigers_eye (from Prothom Alo)

gatekeeper
January 23, 2007, 01:34 AM
Tehsin, you can add me to your list, although I haven't planned ahead and don't know if I can arrange accomodation etc. Let me know if you have any info regarding tickets, hotels etc.

sadi
January 23, 2007, 09:12 AM
Nice Tigers_eye bhai. Share some more pics if you can. Which one is the real tiger??

oracle
January 23, 2007, 02:01 PM
Added the list right at top so that it can be edited as we go along.

sadi
January 23, 2007, 02:23 PM
Where are u guys planning to stay? Did you find a place to stay through an agent or online?

sar2005
January 26, 2007, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by sar2005
Will you please post all of the BC WC07 team-members pictures in this thread please? By this, we will all identify you on TV and can proudly tell friends and families that - see, these are my fellow friends from BanglaCricket!!!

al Furqaan
January 26, 2007, 05:05 PM
Make sure you guys have bannar's bigger than mine. Saying, "Told you so, Go Tigers!!"
http://www.banglacricket.com/pictures/newpic658.jpg

BD vs Zim 5th ODI: Whitewash, a BC Banner from member Tigers_eye (from Prothom Alo)

nice banner...so you were in BD this december? did u post on BC during that series?

al Furqaan
January 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
btw, does anyone know if the warm up matches have ODI status??? i assumed they did...

SMHasan
January 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
btw, does anyone know if the warm up matches have ODI status??? i assumed they did...

Warm up maches are for warming up. There's nothing official about it :)

al Furqaan
January 29, 2007, 10:24 AM
Warm up maches are for warming up. There's nothing official about it :)

but the CI schedule says "bangladesh vs new zealand"...ODI na jodi hoi tale "bangladeshis vs new zealanders" bolto na???

afrina
January 29, 2007, 01:48 PM
Guys some of u r so lucky u can enjoy the match live from stadium, but we have to watch it through TV. Can any one tell me the BD time when the game will start.

al Furqaan
January 29, 2007, 07:41 PM
Guys some of u r so lucky u can enjoy the match live from stadium, but we have to watch it through TV. Can any one tell me the BD time when the game will start.

prolly about 7 or 8 PM for regular matches and 12 or 1 AM for day night matches...all our group matches are regular day games i think

Tehsin
January 29, 2007, 11:44 PM
Afrina, I'll get to watch BD live after a LONG time. Your location shows Bangladesh. You should be the last one talking about lucky when all the matches shows on live tv and some you can just buy a ticket and watch. Now, that's lucky. ;(

afrina
January 31, 2007, 02:00 PM
come on Tehsin bro buy a ticket and fly to West Indies is not an easy job. who gonna pay for me...............hahahahah. Well i got BTV. I'll watch every match they will telecust.

safkat_19
February 1, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hi Bhaiara,
ami ar amar bhai ai matro ticket kinlam for the the 3BD games and the IND-SRL game. Kintu Port Of Spain e thakar accomodation shommondhe amar kono knowledge nai. Apnara keo jodi jan tahole hoito oneke mile thakar babostha korte parbo. Leave a message at this thread with ur contact info and we can all discuss and arrange something.

Safkat Kibria, Georgia Tech, 1st year, age 19, Chittagong

Farabi Rahman, Univ. of Maryland, 2nd Year, 20, Chittagong

:flag: Goru Tamim tor khela dekha, Sunshiner der manijjot rakh

Nasif
February 1, 2007, 02:07 AM
You can take a look at the first sticky post:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=18552

Many members from this forum will be there.

safkat_19
February 1, 2007, 02:59 AM
Ok Bhaiyara. I just got my tickets.

IND v BD Area 143 Row 5 Seat 5,6,7
SRL v BD Area 106 Row 17 Seat 1,2
IND v SRL Area 172 Row 6 Seat 9,10,11
BER v BD Area 177 Row 5 Seat 1,2

Me and my brother and a couple of Indian friends are flying from atlanta on the 14th and returning on 27th.

All the BC members- we definitely need a plan to meet once we are in Trinidad. Shobai mile ekshathe checha mechi korte hobe.

Hopefully onek moja hobe ar amader bosera amaderke surprise diye qualify korte parbe.

safkat_19
February 1, 2007, 03:03 AM
By the way, Which Hotel are most of u staying in? Shobai nearby hotele thakle shubidha hobe.

safkat_19
February 1, 2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks Bhaiya.

safkat_19
February 1, 2007, 04:58 AM
Also, is anyone watching the AUS v SA game in St. Kitts? How can we get there and Do we need an extra visa for that?

fuzzy
February 1, 2007, 05:42 AM
if not a student iwould hav gone. i know its goin 2 b a great world cup. bd will beat india and go through.

fuzzy
February 1, 2007, 06:17 AM
:flag: :flag: :flag: about bd, right now they hav a 35 % chance of wining this world cup. 2 make this any thing more then 50% ie, winin the icc wcup, they have 2 field and ball like they did against aus and india(matches they won). iam sure before those matches guys were pumped and practised a lot. they field was no catches were droped, there was run outs by aftab, dives by mashrfe and ash and an excelent catch by habibul 2 get rid of dhoni, we didn't care much about that wt bcose he was new player, look @ now he earned name amongst greatest hitter in the world.
obviouly batting is our main concern
and i say habibul is becomin another corcern
is it a suitable position switchin him from 3rd has coused some problem.
iam with every 1 ealse.
17th march my team or iwould like see this 11
s nafees
T iqbal (never seen him play but his performace telling me that he is right guy)
H bashar
sakib
aftab
ash
mushiq or khaled mashud
rafiq
razzaq
shahadath
mashrafee (a great player gives his in any circumstances my favin da team)

now who most likely 2 win this world cup
ban (100%) really 35%
aus 97%
WI 85%
NZ 82%
SA 80%
sri 79% (very less likely)
pak 78%
Ind 75%
:flag: :flag: :flag:

fuzzy
February 1, 2007, 06:21 AM
[বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা

about bd, right now they hav a 35 % chance of wining this world cup. 2 make this any thing more then 50% ie, winin the icc wcup, they have 2 field and ball like they did against aus and india(matches they won). iam sure before those matches guys were pumped and practised a lot. they field was no catches were droped, there was run outs by aftab, dives by mashrfe and ash and an excelent catch by habibul 2 get rid of dhoni, we didn't care much about that wt bcose he was new player, look @ now he earned name amongst greatest hitter in the world.
obviouly batting is our main concern
and i say habibul is becomin another corcern
is it a suitable position switchin him from 3rd has coused some problem.
iam with every 1 ealse.
17th march my team or iwould like see this 11
s nafees
T iqbal (never seen him play but his performace telling me that he is right guy)
H bashar
sakib
aftab
ash
mushiq or khaled mashud
rafiq
razzaq
shahadath
mashrafee (a great player gives his in any circumstances my favin da team)

now who most likely 2 win this world cup
ban (100%) really 35%
aus 97%
WI 85%
NZ 82%
SA 80%
sri 79% (very less likely)
pak 78%
Ind 75%
[বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা][/বাংলা]

rio
February 3, 2007, 03:25 PM

Pundit
February 4, 2007, 11:32 PM
I am envious of you all - especially Tehsin, my neighborhood bud!

I was drawing up my own plans as early as in 2005, but got financially side-tracked with my dad's treatment last year. So now, Tehsin dude, your eyes are my eyes, your joy is my joy. Make sure you sip a lot of rum for me. Is bhabi joining you as well? And who did you buy tickets from - Musa bhai (if you know him, that is?).

- P

Tehsin
February 5, 2007, 09:34 AM
Pundit bhai, I'll let you borrow my glasses after I return. Looks like your lucks kinda shot, you'll have to settle for coke instead of rum as well. Your bhabi will prolly skip all this hoopla but shez paying for my trip (woooooooohooooooooo). :)

Tehsin
February 15, 2007, 09:19 AM
With 25 days to go, Let's get ready for a BC get together at Trinidad.

Still waiting to hear from everyone that is going to go to the world cup and possibly the dates that you'll be there.

crazyisland
February 21, 2007, 09:54 AM
Got my game tickes couple of days back. See you all in Trinidad.

JamesBond
February 28, 2007, 12:30 AM
I have some changes in plan. I am flying down on 13th instead of 16th to Barbados from Ottawa in Air Canada. My return flight is on March 26th. And I dont need a VISA so I am worry free about that...

JamesBond: March 15-26* ( may extend if BD goes to next round and to finals)

The reason I am landing on Barbados first because my friend Anthony is from there and we will be cruising in his love boat ( *wink* *wink*) to the nearby islands and all. Hey guys wanna meet up for a pre drink party at St.Lucia or Barbados at the Heineken's???

Where are u guys planning to stay? Did you find a place to stay through an agent or online?

guys...please dont do this to yourself..because of WC the prices have gone to 235% more than usual rate. The best this is that, My friend from Barbados told me, lot of family's are renting rooms in their house and outhouse in Barbados which is like 35 bucks per day or 150~ 200 dollars per week/10 days. I am lucky that I have friends in Nevis, St. Lucia and they have family all over there so the only i need is the air fare and booze.I think you guys should look into these. Cuz you wanna save up money for booze too right?

Anyways, for the stadium, we can do some shopping to make a "bigger banner" ? what do you say? I think my friend Katherine can help us out on that, she is in arts and she is coming down with me to watch WC, though she has no idea about cricket...lol .. SHONGODOSH.. hahha

I will actually have around 10-17 WHITE SUPPORTERS supporting for BD in the staduim.. just trying to show the world in the camera that WHITE SKINNED ppl also waves for BD ..hehehhe

JamesBond
February 28, 2007, 12:36 AM
Where are you guys landing?

rafiq
March 2, 2007, 02:51 AM
after walking around for weeks pondering "shob josh gelo kothai", and despite the absence of a true wicketkeeper in the BD squad, I'm taking the plunge and headed down to Trini. The last minute decision is costing me 60,000 frequent flier miles but what the heck.

So I only have 2 *minor* problems - don't have a hotel room nor a ticket to the SL/India match which I just saw is sold out. Anyone out there with a spare room or ticket:( - alternatively if you want to sell/rent your hotel room I'll buy it!! If not hopefully some good soul will take me in or I will miraculously run into an old college buddy or two.

I'm going to buy the BD/SL ticket tomorrow - where are you guys sitting for the SL match (Tehsin, Oracle, pompous?)- what section? Anyone in the party stand other than 007 (who seems to have quite a potent mix in booze, Catherine and 10-17 white people :) ) - and what exactly goes on in the party stand ??

So my dates will be Tuesday night 20th - Sunday 25 morning. The only flights out of Trini seem to be in the morning so must miss the Bermuda match as I have to be elsewhere Sunday night. But that's OK...hope to see some of the BC gurus out there!

Orpheus
March 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
Isn't party stand the cheapest of all where all the noise comes in from and you are in the sun for 8 hours. .. LOL... Shada gula shob Bangali hoya jaabe after the game..... it also has a bad view. WHy would anyone buy that after spending thousand for flight and hotel.

I also think booze is free in party stand. James Bond tell your friends to bring lots of condoms, that will cost more than alcohol... trini has more than 2% aids.... They are not really coming to see BD play my friend :) more like cumming....

rafiq
March 2, 2007, 05:47 PM
Orpheus thanks for the useful stats my friend!

Orpheus
March 3, 2007, 12:17 AM
Orpheus thanks for the useful stats my friend!

you are welcome brother.. aro info lagle bolben... jemon ekta tips dei... Orasure niya jaan pocket e... eventhough reliability is 50% haha.... it often gives false positive... not so much false negative... so you are 200% safe with 50% reliability... how amazing is that...?

If you need further help.. I will provide you with some numbers.:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Tehsin
March 4, 2007, 01:57 PM
If you're loking to do some research before you hit T&T - try the wikipedia. Here's a link from them: http://www.visittnt.com/

pessimist
March 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
after walking around for weeks pondering "shob josh gelo kothai", and despite the absence of a true wicketkeeper in the BD squad, I'm taking the plunge and headed down to Trini. The last minute decision is costing me 60,000 frequent flier miles but what the heck.

So I only have 2 *minor* problems - don't have a hotel room nor a ticket to the SL/India match which I just saw is sold out. Anyone out there with a spare room or ticket:( - alternatively if you want to sell/rent your hotel room I'll buy it!! If not hopefully some good soul will take me in or I will miraculously run into an old college buddy or two.

I'm going to buy the BD/SL ticket tomorrow - where are you guys sitting for the SL match (Tehsin, Oracle, pompous?)- what section? Anyone in the party stand other than 007 (who seems to have quite a potent mix in booze, Catherine and 10-17 white people :) ) - and what exactly goes on in the party stand ??

So my dates will be Tuesday night 20th - Sunday 25 morning. The only flights out of Trini seem to be in the morning so must miss the Bermuda match as I have to be elsewhere Sunday night. But that's OK...hope to see some of the BC gurus out there!

My friend has a spare ticket for the IND-SL game. Why don't you PM me and I can hook you up with my friend.

BTW, a few of us (including Beamer) are going from the US. Our seating arrangements -

Match 25 India vs Bdesh
Block 206 Row 9

Match 33 S Lanka vs Bdesh
Block 206 Row 6

Match 37 India vs S Lanka
Block 108 Row 17

Match 41 Bermuda vs Bangladesh
Block 207 Row 11

JamesBond
March 6, 2007, 12:09 AM
Isn't party stand the cheapest of all where all the noise comes in from and you are in the sun for 8 hours. .. LOL... Shada gula shob Bangali hoya jaabe after the game..... it also has a bad view. WHy would anyone buy that after spending thousand for flight and hotel.

I also think booze is free in party stand. James Bond tell your friends to bring lots of condoms, that will cost more than alcohol... trini has more than 2% aids.... They are not really coming to see BD play my friend :) more like cumming....

Haha buddy... isnt that silent but obvious? I am trying to be modest in the forum.. but u know whats the truth and "what lies beneath"!!! *wink* *wink*:smug:

Tehsin
March 6, 2007, 12:41 AM
Here's where I'll be hanging around during the matches:

Match 25
india vs BD
Block 171, Row 8

Match 33
Sl vs BD
Block 206, Row 1, not too far from pessimist but with a lot of optimism. :)

Nasif
March 6, 2007, 01:04 AM
Here's where I'll be hanging around during the matches:

Match 25
india vs BD
Block 171, Row 8

Match 33
Sl vs BD
Block 206, Row 1, not too far from pessimist but with a lot of optimism. :)

Tehsin bhai don't forget to make a BC banner. We will be watching out for you!

Tehsin
March 6, 2007, 01:13 AM
The banner eh ? As long as I don't get kicked out from the stands..

Tehsin
March 6, 2007, 01:25 AM
http://trinidadshopping.com/local.html

Just FYI

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #336699">How to get to Trinidad</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2>The main entry into the country is via the new Piarco International airport (http://www.piarcoairport.com/). Opened in May 2001, this airport can compete with all international standards and is now the largest airport in the region. Crown Point International Airport (http://www.crownpointairport.com/) is the entry to Tobago. Trinidad's seaport and cruise ship complex is located in Port of Spain at the Gulf of Paria (walking distance to downtown Port of Spain). Yachties will arrive mainly in Chaguaramas, on Trinidad's north western peninsula.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="100%">http://trinidadshopping.com/images/greypix.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabtx2 width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #336699">How to get around in Trinidad</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2>Public transportation in Trinidad is based on a bus system, operated by PTSC and many taxis and 'MaxiTaxis' (Mini Van). A license plate for a taxi starts always with the 'H' for hired. A recent introduced 'call a cab' taxi service will provide further services. Search our database for a taxi service (http://trinidadshopping.com/search.html?qbn=taxi&strt=0). Trinidad's highway system connects the east-west and the north-south corridors (Speed limit 80 Km/h / 50mph). Calculate delays during rush-hours.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="100%">http://trinidadshopping.com/images/greypix.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabtx2 width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #336699">Food and Dining in Trinidad</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2>Trinidad & Tobago abounds with diverse culinary delights due to the cosmopolitan nature if its people. Some favourites include roti, doubles, shark and bake, pelau and a host of other mouth watering dishes. But fast food is for many people the way to go.
Search our online database for a restaurant in your area. (http://trinidadshopping.com/search.html?strt=0&bcy=TT&scat=76&ac=Search)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="100%">http://trinidadshopping.com/images/greypix.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabtx2 width=12 rowSpan=20>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #336699" colSpan=2>Good to know when in Trinidad & Tobago</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" width=12 rowSpan=20>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Emergency</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Police 999, Fire/Ambulance 990</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Timezone</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Standard Time is 4 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time - GMT - 4 (no daylight-saving time)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Language</TD><TD class=tabtx2>English, Creole English (http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=TRF)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Visa</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Visa and passport information (http://www.visittnt.com/General/things/visa.html)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Travel</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Passport and a valid return ticket required at entry </TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Currency</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Trinidad & Tobago Dollar 1 TT$ = 100 cents (exchange rate (http://www.xe.com/ucc/))</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Credit Cards</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Mastercard, VISA and American Express, ATMs available throughout the country</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>ATM</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Most credit cards, Cirrus and others are accepted</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Money Transfer</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Moneygram (http://trinidadshopping.com/search.html?qbn=moneygram&strt=0) and Western Union (http://trinidadshopping.com/search.html?qbn=western+union&strt=0)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Telephone</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Country Code 1 868, Outgoing calls: International 01, U.S. & Caribbean 1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Voltage: </TD><TD class=tabtx2>110V/60Hz U.S. 2 pin http://trinidadshopping.com/images/2pinplug.gif and 3 pin plugs http://trinidadshopping.com/images/3pinplug.gif
220V/60Hz U.S. 3 pin http://trinidadshopping.com/images/3pin220.gifplug mainly for appliances</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Tel/Modem:</TD><TD class=tabtx2>RJ11 http://trinidadshopping.com/images/RJ-11.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Cell Phones</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Digital cell network with TDMA (not sold anymore, to be phased out), GSM (1800MHz) since 2003, only one provider so far: TSTT with bmobile, Digicel (GSM) and Laqtel (CDMA) coming early 2006 (1/2006)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>TV</TD><TD class=tabtx2>NTSC-M (US Standard), 6 local TV stations (Gayelle, IBN, IETV, NCC, Synergy, TV-6), 60+ (US) cable channels, DirecTV (Satellite)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Radio</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Many FM stations and a few AM stations around the country</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Internet </TD><TD class=tabtx2>Several Internet Service Providers (17) with mainly dial-up modem access. High-speed access available via: ADSL, Satellite, Wireless, Cable-modem, ISDN. High-speed access is still costly e.g. ADSL (residential access) with the new reduced rate (June 2003) just under US$ 75 per month for 64/256kpbs. Faster Internet is not yet available everywhere within the country.
Pay-per-Call: 619-EASY, TT 75 cents per minute. Username: EASY, no password required. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Measurements</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Predominately Metric</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Crime Reports</TD><TD class=tabtx2>CrimeStoppers: 800-STOP, 800-TIPS or 800-4011 (local numbers)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabtx2 vAlign=top width=95>Opening Hours</TD><TD class=tabtx2>Banks are usually open from Monday to Friday. Banks in Malls are open from 10am till around 6pm. Some banks are closing very early in the afternoon.
Shopping Malls are usually open Monday to Saturday until 7pm or even longer.
Port of Spain shops usually close around 5-6pm
Bars are open until ...
Usual office hours are from around 8am until 4pm</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="100%">http://trinidadshopping.com/images/greypix.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE height=68 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tabtx2 width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: #336699">Tips for the Visitor</TD><TD class=tabtx2 style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" width=4 rowSpan=2>http://trinidadshopping.com/images/1pix.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tabitemsm>• We speak English in Trinidad & Tobago (even not everybody might understand it ...) (No hablo español)
• Major credit cards like VISA, Mastercard and American Express are widely accepted
• The US Dollar is mostly accepted, the Euro not yet
• Be aware of possible conmen at ABMs (ATMs)
• You have to pay TT$ 100.00 departure tax when leaving the country (cash or credit card)
• Do not enter private cars for taxi rides (PH-cars), a taxi license plate always start with the letter 'H'
• Leave your valuables in the hotel or at home
• Tab water is usually drinkable, bottled water is available everywhere
• When at Maracas Beach a 'Bake & Shark' is a must. Try a 'Roti' when in Trinidad, and watch the locals eating 'Doubles' for breakfast (or try it yourself).
• Best travel time is around December until the end of May when the rainy season starts
• Temperatures are pretty much the same during the year (24-33), with cooler evenings in November and hot and dry days in April
• Stay away from drugs! Hefty fines and possible imprisonment is certain
• Tobago is the more laid back holiday destination, while Trinidad is the business and industry hub of the Caribbean
• Work hard, party hard is for many people the motto in Trinidad. This is excellent party ground!
• Trinidad is not the typical Caribbean island, it is much more like South America as it was once part of it </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

arifin
March 6, 2007, 03:08 AM
any link for today's match BD vs NZ?

cricket_pagol
March 6, 2007, 03:25 AM
Looking forward to see some banglacricket banners in the stand... Make some noise for all of us.

safkat_19
March 6, 2007, 07:02 PM
To everyone who is going- Guys we have to meet up before the games so that we can form a noticable BD crowd. Any plans on how we can contact each other when we get to Trinidad? I am going to be there from the 15th to the 25th and I got the roaming option on my phone.

My number is (202)4034406. If you want to make there or watever, just call me up.

Oh, one of my cousins decided not to go and now I have an extra ticket for the BD-IND and IND-SL games. If anyone needs it, I can give it to when I see you in Trinidad.

oracle
March 6, 2007, 08:23 PM
we will pool our resources. watch out for posts from tehsin or me. I also have a mobile no that will operate there.:-*

akkel
March 6, 2007, 11:49 PM
Adding four more people ......
Akkel along with 3 other friends and will be staying at laparmaylas

Tehsin
March 7, 2007, 12:09 AM
I know that there are other folks coming in from Virginia (USA). I'll try to get in touch with them by this weekend.

Ideas for a Get together ?

- cricket Matches and football matches. :)
- cricket adda (hopefully no politics, whenever BD folks get together, it ends in fistfights - BOROI LOJJAJONOK - don't want to be part of that.
- music (bangla, preferably)

Also
- there'l be some folks on one corner getting drunk and passed out. everyone's welcome. :)

akkel
March 7, 2007, 12:44 AM
we can plan someting while we will be there.

JamesBond
March 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
I told u guys that it would be fun to have pre-party! In barbados there are bars, where the cover is US$ 20 and booze is free til midnight or some of them are totally free except heineken.. darn..and they dont even have Canadian or Labatt Blue

Ra'ad
March 8, 2007, 02:42 AM
Salam Dear Brothers and Sisters!!
me and 8 other freinds are going to Trinidad for the World Cup matches.7 of us are Bangladeshis and it would be really cool to hang out during the game, go in groups, sing and cheer for our Tigers!! Also we'll be holding placards and I would grately appreciate innovative ideas for writing the placards which will inspire our talented Tigers. Please email me any lines that you think could be vital or just post it here; I can even put BanglaCricket at a corner of the placard if you guys want.

We will be staying from 16-25th, attending Bangladesh Vs India, Bangladesh Vs Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka Vs Bangladesh . For getting together my phone should be working 1-514-570-8041

Hope to hear ideas...

Ra'ad
shahpur.mia@gmail.com
ps. Tehsin bhai you got the tickets! Great! So I can throw the insurance receipt ?

Tehsin
March 8, 2007, 09:18 AM
Ra'ad,

Got the tickets, thanks brother.
Are you guys going to be any closer to me or am I sitting to far to be part of the group ? If we get ten people, we can get ten t-shirts reading - B A N G L A D E S H. White preferably. Should be easy to get/make.

What are your plans in between the matches ?

What's the third match you're planning to go to ? You have bd vs Sl twice. :)

AsifTheManRahman
March 8, 2007, 12:04 PM
please use triple B's "We've all been there" image for one of the banners.

Ra'ad
March 8, 2007, 01:06 PM
I meant Sri Lanka Vs India as the third match. two of us will be in TObago and the rest in Trinidad. But on the 16th we'll all be in Trinidad. Tobago seems to be really nice and it's also much cheaper (very good hotel for $65 per night, for 2 person compared to trinidad's $180 crappy hotel) with all sorts of activities: snorkling, scuba diving and all that ; on the 18th all of us will be partying in Tobago, you and the gang are mostly welcome to join, we can have a huge celebration party as inshallah we'll win agianst India.

The problem was we were stupid in buying our tickets. we only have sittings together for 5 of us; Tehsin bhai, your seat will be very close to ours but I don't think the whole word BANGLADESH can be written wearing T shirts. but we can certainly scream together and make some noise !

any ideas on placards?

roi
March 8, 2007, 01:23 PM
Hi mates....Here is my schadule and atlast my hotel in Port-of-Spain have fixed. I will stay at Hotel Alicia's Palace and the address is
1 3/4 Mile Post
Lady Chancellor Road
St. Anns
Port Of Spain
Tel: + 1 868 624-8553
Fax: + 1 868 621-1016
You can SMS me to +491773290052 or mail me to zubair_rony@hotmail.com.
I will reach to POS on 16th march evening and depart for miami on 26th march morning.
Hope to see you all soon in POS.

oracle
March 8, 2007, 06:21 PM
Here are my details:

SL v BD
blk 170 row 4 seat 18

Ind v BD
blk 221 row 8 seat 4

I am also at Alicias from 16th to 17th . Going to Tobago on sunday 18th
Coming back to POS on 20th Tuesday and staying again at Alicias up to 22nd.
My cell is available upon request, but Tehsin is also at Alicias so we can plan something. Cheers.

ps- any idea on how to travel to Tobago from POS??

Ra'ad
March 8, 2007, 08:59 PM
You can take Tobago Express which has frequent flights from Trini to Tobago back and forth. the cost for round trip is US $50; I'll be staying in Tobago's 'Tobago Island Suites' Hotel from 16th-25th and fly to Trinidad for the mathes . You can also take ferry which takes 2.5 hours one way and cost for round trip is US $16. There are only 2 ferry's each day from tobago to Trini (one at 6:30 am) and 2 from Trini to Tobago (one at 4/5pm depending on the day) . Ferry Schedules can be found here :

http://www.patnt.com/ferry_schedule.shtml

http://www.patnt.com/documents/ss_mar07.htm

rio
March 9, 2007, 02:21 AM
I am going to be there along with 2 other friends from the 16th till the 22nd. We will be staying in a hotel in Maraval which is about 15 minutes drive from the Queens Park Oval. We will be off to Tobago on the 18th (T&T Express ferry @ 8:30 am) and will be coming back on the 20th afternoon (T&T Express ferry @ 5:00 pm). As for the matches, we will be going to the 'Bang vs Ind' and 'Bang vs Sri' matches and will be seating in sections 253 and 251 respectively ( Cyril Duprey Stand).

Wondering whether there would be any get together or a cricket match on the 16th or any time later. We are bringing bats, tennis balls and tapes, so it would be fun to play some cricket there.

*** Zobair bhai are you going?

JamesBond
March 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
You can take Tobago Express which has frequent flights from Trini to Tobago back and forth. the cost for round trip is US $50; I'll be staying in Tobago's 'Tobago Island Suites' Hotel from 16th-25th and fly to Trinidad for the mathes . You can also take ferry which takes 2.5 hours one way and cost for round trip is US $16. There are only 2 ferry's each day from tobago to Trini (one at 6:30 am) and 2 from Trini to Tobago (one at 4/5pm depending on the day) . Ferry Schedules can be found here :

http://www.patnt.com/ferry_schedule.shtml

http://www.patnt.com/documents/ss_mar07.htm

I will be commuting in my friend Anthony's love boat. *wink*:p I might have some room so contact me guys before the matches.

Tehsin
March 11, 2007, 01:10 PM
Some of you have already shared your contacts, here's mine: 7035077503 is my cell. Let's have a get together including a cricket match (tennis ball preferred, don't want to get injured on vacation), music and adda among other things.

So again, let's go ahead and share our individual contacts so we can arrange this.

akkel
March 11, 2007, 10:09 PM
Is it possible to meet somewhere after 1st game so that we can play some cricket on the 18th?

JamesBond
March 15, 2007, 01:09 PM
Safkat and Roi, I tried calling you guys... where are you?

Ra'ad
March 15, 2007, 07:26 PM
James Bond,
I didn't get your contact. My number is 1-514-570-8041. We should definitely party, play cricket and stuff ..

Ra'ad
I'll SMS the few contacts I have once I'm in Trini in a few hours

rafiq
March 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
I'll be in Trini night of the 20th thru SUnday morning the 25th, staying at Alicias Palace and/or with local friends. I'd be up for a meet up either the night before the BD-SL game or after the game on Wed. Some of you have my cell, I'll text you when I get there.

really horrible to hear about rana....

oracle
March 17, 2007, 05:38 AM
We( i.e me and my wife) have arrived. Met up with Tehsin and shall head off to stadium in couple of hours. So far weather is fine. Any guys here pls contact Tehsin as my cell is crap.

May Allah bless Rana's soul. I really feel awful and recollect memories of my last West Indies trip where I had the privelege to talk privately with such a fine BD player. Inshallah we will win.

JamesBond
March 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
TAKA WOOSOOL Match... Thanks God I came to WI to watch the matches. now I guess I have to change my flight plan to stay longer... anywas.. it was a good game.. I hate to say that India didnt show any sportsmanchip at all during the game.. specially Munaf Patel cursin Tamim after he hit 6 on his ball.. Thanks to umpite for askin Munaf *** Patel to back to bowling line.. BUT main thing is.. WE WON.. .we are having boat part here in Trini..yayayyyyy... BOOOZEEEE

JamesBond
March 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
James Bond,
I didn't get your contact. My number is 1-514-570-8041. We should definitely party, play cricket and stuff
Ra'ad
I'll SMS the few contacts I have once I'm in Trini in a few hours

Raad, I tried callin you as well, straight to voice mail.. where are you? I left a message as well.

JamesBond
March 18, 2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks God, I atleast could get a hold of Tehsin... I had a chat with him... Tehsin hopefully will talk to you around 9 pm local time.

Ra'ad i tried you twice.. no luck.. left voice mail with my crappy broken voice..

Safkat_19 still no luck getting a hold of you.. left u voice mail with my crappy broken voice as well

Roi.. no luck getting a hold of you either.. not even ur VM.

rafiq
March 20, 2007, 02:36 AM
If I can wake up in the morning, finish packing and make the flight out of Chicago I hope to be in Trini in the evening Tuesday! JamesBond, what's happening on your love boat - are you all just leaving messages for each other or is there some serious adda & partying happening down there? Guess I'll find out soon enough...

Kabir
March 20, 2007, 08:56 AM
Good luck Rafiq bhai. Take lots of pics and share with us :)

AsifTheManRahman
March 20, 2007, 11:14 AM
wonder if any of the bangladeshi fans i saw on the stream the other day were BC members, and if so, which ones.

roi
March 20, 2007, 11:38 AM
I'll be in Trini night of the 20th thru SUnday morning the 25th, staying at Alicias Palace and/or with local friends. I'd be up for a meet up either the night before the BD-SL game or after the game on Wed. Some of you have my cell, I'll text you when I get there.

really horrible to hear about rana....
Rafiq vhai...i am also in Alicia's palace and my room number is 13.Call me to 4601595...that is my local handy.

Tehsin
March 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
Let's ALL of us try to get to the 'Elizabeth stand' around 170-172. Close to the ground and almost next to the players. It will be the unofficial OFFICIAL Bangladesh Party stand. SOme folks will be trying to get some drums, there will be banners (and I'll sneak in banglacricket.com banner in there as well).

cricket_pagol
March 20, 2007, 11:58 AM
Let's ALL of us try to get to the 'Elizabeth stand' around 170-172. Close to the ground and almost next to the players. It will be the unofficial OFFICIAL Bangladesh Party stand. SOme folks will be trying to get some drums, there will be banners (and I'll sneak in banglacricket.com banner in there as well).

This was the only thing that was missing in the last game!!! Hope to see you guys making some noise for us :)

JamesBond
March 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
:-D If I can wake up in the morning, finish packing and make the flight out of Chicago I hope to be in Trini in the evening Tuesday! JamesBond, what's happening on your love boat - are you all just leaving messages for each other or is there some serious adda & partying happening down there? Guess I'll find out soon enough...

haha.. its going good.. but too much yelling took my voice away.. i am still recovering... I will be back to trini tomorrow morning for the game... you should ask Tehsin about my voice when I called him the other day.. Do you have any plans??

oracle
March 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
I am at Elizabeth stand tomorrow. Tehsin is there too. See you.

rafiq
March 20, 2007, 11:43 PM
Touched down in trini tonight where it's hot and sultry but there's a cool breeze blowing from the western shore. Port of Spain sparkles below and Alicia's Palace is the defacto camp for the Bangladeshi contingent of journalists...Utpol Shubhro from Prthom Alo and a host of guys from ATN, Channel 1, etc among others, I'll get the names right in another day. Word is Shahadat wasn't going to play anyway and has some kind of groin injury.

Ran into Oracle and the wife at the front desk, and had a quick chat with Tehsin. He reports the players have gone to bed, as opposed to going down to the 51 degrees lounge I passed on my way from the airport ("no prostitutes there, maan", my cabbie, Singh, assured me). Tehsin was parked at the Hilton where the players are, probably drinking orange juice with billah.

Hopefully will find some more folks at breakfast and although i am in 206, will head over to 170 if allowed to move freely about the stadium. The only thing bugging me is MMS is not working on my mobile, which puts a damper on my plans to run a trini cricket blog at a couple of sites for work. And my bluetooth won't turn on either...i guess that's what i get for always using prototype phones! Will figure it out tomorrow....

BD will beat Sri Lanka by 15 runs.

JamesBond
March 20, 2007, 11:54 PM
Tehsin was parked at the Hilton where the players are, probably drinking orange juice with billah.

Hopefully will find some more folks at breakfast and although i am in 206, will head over to 170 if allowed to move freely about the stadium. The only thing bugging me is MMS is not working on my mobile, which puts a damper on my plans to run a trini cricket blog at a couple of sites for work. And my bluetooth won't turn on either...i guess that's what i get for always using prototype phones! Will figure it out tomorrow....

BD will beat Sri Lanka by 15 runs.

lol.. Tehsin drinking Orange Juice..haha. Me straight Vodka on the rocks.. Actually i like this Barbados locak Rhum.. its pretty cool..

What kinda phone do you have? Which provider? Tehsin has cingular and I guess he has no problem.. neither do I.. What are things have you performed to troubleshoot this issue?:D

rafiq
March 22, 2007, 09:41 AM
Hey JB, i resolved it by switching networks on the phone- bmobile worked better than digicell - thanks to billah for confirming that as he has tmobile as well.

I don't think i have your number, I'll IM mine to you. Still here until Sun. Saw some of the players last night, pretty dejected not much to say as they lost the game in their heads before a ball was bowled it seems.

Tehsin
March 22, 2007, 10:27 AM
Off to the US. I'll let Rafiq cover our meet up at Trini, he seems to have the right kind of flair for that. Oringe Joos is Good Fo Ya Body Maan. Don't knock it.

I should be home by 12 tonigt and the idiot folks from Diretv should finally get to my place tomorrow morning for the setup. It only took them 2 and a half weeks to get this third attempt underway. USA holey, they'd have been in serious trouble. Oh, wait a second, the idiots ARE in the USA.

Not much to write about our performance yesterday. For one match, we went back to our 1990-2004 days. Oh well, it was only one match and we are allowed to suck from time to time. I'll program myself to erase that memory by watching the BD-ind match this weekend. Thanks to Directv, i need to beg my friends to get me a copy.

As for the rets of the world cup, The world is watching. Nothing short of a convincing victorywill do. However, a victory will prolly be useless unless Sri Lanka wins. A one run/one wicket or even a TIE would be enough for us to go through.

rafiq
March 23, 2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, quiet night here in POS, Tehsin you are missed. Off and on rain aborted my attempt to get to Maracas beach, so I settled for exploring some of this city's neighborhoods and backstreets by foot. I'm glad I did.

The air is thick with anticipation for tomorrow and anything can happen. It's all upto the Lankans now. The Indian fans are pouring in, I am noticing more of them, or is it because the wild and crazy Bangladeshis have gone home?

The BD team is keeping a low profile. They did "theory and warmups" today per a random phone call one of the journalists made at breakfast. The day also included visiting schools and doing some work for the fight against AIDS.

The BD journos actually took the day off, I can tell you more about them if that is exciting but i suspect it won't be. We are in this semi-hole called Alicia's Palace (my door seems to be missing it's handle in case I haven't mentioned it before...), and the kitchen is unable to produce anything worth eating for our news guys. I was amazed to learn they have taught the kitchen ladies how to make deshi style omelettes as well as 50% of what it takes to make alur bhorta. Shudu daal missing.

Trini is a place that actually has deshi-friendly cuisine, after all the place is full of people of Indian descent. Roti paratha and doubles are exquisite, and much much better than the fake stuff you get in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. My point is if you want food, it's not hard to find, you just have to be willing to go look for it. I took in a roti wraps at Patraj for lunch today, and all the boys/girls who are still here - definitely forgo the fried chicken crap at the Oval tomorrow and head to the back of the stadium to Patraj - on the corner of Tragarette and White streets. My cabbie Mr Singh says it's one of the best in Trini, you know he can't be wrong. Doubles is much like bhel puri in a chappati, with too much sauce so it drips all over. Had one not too long ago in a local joint in St James, they seemed to show up a dozen in a paper bag at 2TT apiece, it was all wholesome and good.

The locals are torn between watching the West Indies on TV or going to the India SL game. I have a feeling they will find a way to do both. The rum shops of St James are going to be crowded tomorrow. If Sri Lanka and West Indies both win, I am told we are partying until my plane leaves at 6:45 am Sunday. Somehow I don't think my body will take that, but it's a pleasant thought nevertheless.

As our car made the left turn at Brian Lara's house across from the Savanah and began the slow wind up Lady Chancellor Road to my "Palace", two pieces of news came in on the radio. First, Jamaican police are confirming Woolmer was strangled. What the heck! The guy who cut my hair today (Avena across the street from Patraj, clean, cool and at TT30 a good deal) said the word in Jamaica is that Woolmer was in with the bookies and things had gone horribly wrong. Hopefully that is just barbershop talk and not true!

The second piece of news had my Trini hosts erupting in joy: due to the incessant rain out in Guyana, their government has asked Trinidad to be on standby for the Super 8s. Can't help but think about Sanjay and Bansuri, friends from Chicago who flew in tonight to watch India tomorrow. Later this weekend they travel on to Guyana to "follow India into the Super 8s". They will find out soon enough that not only will India not get to Guyana, but if the rain keeps up, there may be no cricket in Guyana at all! Hate to wish such misery on friends, so I hope only one part of that is true and that the rain does stop in Guyana.

Nasif
March 23, 2007, 12:50 AM
Great read rafiq bhai. Keep it coming and keep us updated :)

Nasif
March 23, 2007, 12:51 AM
I should be home by 12 tonigt and the idiot folks from Diretv should finally get to my place tomorrow morning for the setup. It only took them 2 and a half weeks to get this third attempt underway. USA holey, they'd have been in serious trouble. Oh, wait a second, the idiots ARE in the USA.

DirecTV isn't a good idea. You should have gone with Dishnet. They are best in Cricket. :) (and anything deshi, including all the BD channels)

layperson
March 23, 2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks rafiq bhai. As nasif bhai said updates from WI are most wanted so keep posting.

JamesBond
March 23, 2007, 09:45 PM
I am going to the beach party soon..