January 23, 2007, 03:28 PM
Good Initiative. Now we definately need ----

*4-5 Day Games
*School/College/Uni/national League - In short more teams
*Age level leagues - U17/U19/U21
*Pacer/Batsmen/spinners hunt
*Games to be held all over the country for encouragement

BCB should know what we need to build up a good national team
Follow the same steps as you follow for men.
Only then, we may see some sparkle.

Women's meet starts on Jan 27
Sports Reporter

Dhaka will take on Ansar in the opening match of the first ever women's cricket championship to be held at the Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium on January 27.An opening ceremony is also slated to take place on the day.
Apart from the two teams mentioned above, eight other teams are also taking part in the tournament. Ten teams have been split into two groups, with the top two qualifying to the semifinals.
Six venues in all will host matches, with Gulshan Youth and Nobin Shangha grounds hosting the two semifinals.
The final and closing ceremony will also take place at the Mirpur's home of cricket.

Group A -- Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Ansar, Narayanganj.
Group B -- Bhola, Rajshahi, Jahangirnagar University, Bogra, Rangamati.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/01/24/d70124040540.htm

Farhad
January 23, 2007, 03:30 PM
Thats pretty cool......We're one of the few countries in the top tier that dont have a womens team.

allrounder
January 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
http://bdnews24.com/uploads/-Jan_.Tfour-18.jpg

sadi
January 24, 2007, 11:17 AM
Non-striker batsman (or should I say batswoman??) ki akram khan er related naki? ;)

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
Non-striker batsman (or should I say batswoman??) ki akram khan er related naki? ;)

MashaAllah. Abar jodi kew Boley Bangladesh-e Durbikho Hoi.... just show them the picture.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 03:50 PM
I must say our batswomen in Bangladesh have much better eyesight than their male counterparts since they can very easily locate the red ball eventhough bowlers can bowl with black trousers. :)

Rabz
January 25, 2007, 05:53 AM

Ahare, khalamma na khaite khaite hukaya gese....

Fazal
January 26, 2007, 05:00 PM
http://www.prothom-alo.org/issues/2007-01-27/1.jpg

"Thuikka Maroo...Fikka Maroo..." Another chucker in making?

al Furqaan
January 26, 2007, 05:08 PM
mohila pacer deye ke laab ase? apnee ke rasel ke replace korar cheshta kortesen, mav bhai

Tigers_eye
January 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
Mohila pacer hunt. Tar por Shahadat'er buo hariken diye khujtey hobey na. What nice ads can be made of.

akabir77
January 26, 2007, 05:46 PM

looks like she is bending her hand. that's called zerk bowler....

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 06:43 PM
jemon korai bowl koruk. fikka maruk ar chuira maruk. let them start. i am sure next year the quality will improve. this is just the beginning.

ialbd
January 26, 2007, 07:17 PM
as long as the ball reaches the other end. I dont think any authority will bother with the bowling action, this is the stepping stone and thats all that matters.

I was expecting sth like this a long time back so that we can compete internationally pretty soon. I think India is already dominating the women's cricket world, right?

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
as long as the ball reaches the other end. I dont think any authority will bother with the bowling action, this is the stepping stone and thats all that matters.

I was expecting sth like this a long time back so that we can compete internationally pretty soon. I think India is already dominating the women's cricket world, right?

yeah i think indian and english women are at the top. i think the male indian team got some inspiration from their female counterparts but unfortunately this trick is not working for the english male cricket team.

arafath79
January 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
:floor: We have got lady Akram Khan and some lady Sohaib Akhtar !!!!!:floor:

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 09:39 PM
:floor: We have got lady Akram Khan and some lady Sohaib Akhtar !!!!!:floor:

:floor::floor::floor:

arafath79
January 26, 2007, 09:41 PM

Ei mohila cricketerer bowlinger goti ghontay 100 mile. :-D

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 09:49 PM
tailai hoise......

BD-Shardul
January 27, 2007, 05:14 AM
About Women Cricket In Our country:

"Hati Ghora Gelo Tol
Pipre Ble Koto Jol"

Are Bhai, Polarai Pare Na, Abar Maiyara Lafalafi.....Ahammoki ar kake bole

Miraz
January 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
Women's cricket will be definitely more lively than men's cricket. Here's an example. Celebration of a wicketfall by Dhaka girls.

http://www.newagebd.com/2007/jan/28/front2-b.jpg

In the opening day Dhaka recorded a 34-run win over Ansar and VDP riding on a four-wicket haul by Towhida. Dhaka scored 121 for six in 30 overs. Tajkiar Akter was top scorer with 38 and Papia Haq remained unbeaten on 17.
In reply, Ansar and VDP were bowled out for 87 in 20.4 overs as Towhida and Sajia shared six wickets.

According to Newage, our girls struggled to send the balls to boundar due to lack of strength in wrists. Only two boundary was hit in the entire Dhaka innings.

In other matches Vola district (98/2) defeated JahangirNagar Univ (97) by eight wickets and Khulna (288/5, Irene 105 (70b, 13x4, 4x6) defeated Naryanganj (54) by 234 runs.

Khulna Vs Naryanganj match was plyed in Nabin sangha ground which according to Amar Desh is a small ground.

Sam
January 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
...According to Newage, our girls struggled to send the balls to boundar due to lack of strength in wrists. Only two boundary was hit in the entire Dhaka innings.

Is it? Then how Irene blasted a ton 105 off 70 balls?Irene blasts first tonSports ReporterIrene Sultana slammed an explosive hundred on the opening day of the first Women's Cricket Championship as Khulna thumped Narayanganj by 234 runs at the Nabin Sangha ground yesterday.In the 30-over-a-side match, Sultana took only 70 balls to rattle 105 as her side piled on 288 for five after winning the toss. In reply, Narayanganj skittled out for only 54 runs, with Alma taking three wickets.After the opening ceremony at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium, Dhaka promptly dispatched Ansar and VDP by 34 runs, thanks mainly to Towhida as she took four for 12.Away at the Jahangirnagar University ground, Bhola outplayed the hosts by eight wickets.

Miraz
January 27, 2007, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by DS
Irene blasts first tonSports ReporterIrene Sultana slammed an explosive hundred on the opening day of the first Women's Cricket Championship as Khulna thumped Narayanganj by 234 runs at the Nabin Sangha ground yesterday.
Is it? Then how Irene blasted a ton 105 off 70 balls?

Hmm... Dhaka vs Ansar VDP was played in Mirpur national Stadium.

I think the Nabin Sangha ground in which Irene blasted the century is quite small. May be the size of the outer 30 yard circle of BNS ;)

Sam
January 27, 2007, 02:48 PM
She hit 13 boundaries and 4 overboundaries. Reports Bangladesher Khela (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=23868&iCategoryID=1)

Kabir
January 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
Okay first of all, this is a move that's been delayed by 2 to 4 years. It should've happened a few years ago...but it's better late than never. So I appreciate the organizers' and specially the women's effort into it.

But I guess jokes apart, we all should understand that everything should grow gradually...it's not right to start big, coz in that case there's less competetiveness among the teams, as some of the teams may not be up to the standard. Even if Rita's bowling action is at fault, we need to live with it for the time being, until this inspires other girls at all level to take such an initiative. Until and unless that happens, women's cricket championship has no future...note my words.

Do any of you remember women's basketball championship in Abahoni Indoor stadium? I used to be around that area for coaching...there was a huge crowd (most of which was there for a different reason than watching the game). Although I never watched the matches myself, it sure was such a good feeling that sport was getting its right treatment in the male-dominated society.

So guys, regardless of whether we like their bowling style or not, lets be a little serious and encourage them for their effort. Who knows, a few of these girls may have faced a lot of barriers before participating in such an event (I would be surprised if a majority of them didn't face any barriers). And the worst we can do is laugh at them.

And for those who are talkig about the female version of Akram Khan...mind you, Akram Khan is by far the greatest legend for Bangladesh cricket (yes along with Nannu, and Atahar), and people from other cricketing nations mention Akram Khan whenever they get a chance to...coz they think he was a real hero, a great sportsman, and by far one of the best batsman Bangladesh had at that time. So, if the female Akram Khan really turns out to be one like the male version, I'ld be more happy than anyone else.

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 27, 2007, 08:00 PM
She hit 13 boundaries and 4 overboundaries. Reports Bangladesher Khela (http://www.bangladesherkhela.com/default.asp?strrefer=displayocr&straction=headline&iItemID=23868&iCategoryID=1)

she is our lady jaysuriya!!!!

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
jaihok,
shommanito kabir bhai,
jene khub bhalo laglo apnio amar moton akram khaner akjon boro fan. asholeo apni kintu thiki bolechen. bangladesher cricket a akram khan ar obodan kintu bhulbar noi. eta thik akhon tar theke onek bhalo batsman amader royeche. tobe tar shomoy tini chilen shera. tar innings ar upor bhor kore bangladesh oshongkhobar shommanjonok obosthay pouchute shokkhom hoyechilo. hoito tini akritigotobhabe onnoder tulonay aktu beshi chowra. kintu tate ki? tar kaj kintu tini shothikbhabai palon korechilen. ami mone kori bashar ar por akram bangladesher shera odhinayok. dhannabad.

BangladeshFan
January 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
akram was not the best batsman in his time, both nannu and bulbul were better than akram. sorry for going off topic.

if 2 boundaries were scored in the whole innings u can imagine how "unattractive" girls cricket can be. cant see cricket as a female sport, sorry

Kabir
January 28, 2007, 10:38 AM
if 2 boundaries were scored in the whole innings u can imagine how "unattractive" girls cricket can be. cant see cricket as a female sport, sorry

Easy solution - you're welcome not to watch or comment about it :)

HereWeGo
January 28, 2007, 10:55 AM
Irrespective of how the game is been played I guess just the fact that women are playing the sports in a stadium portrays a positive image of Bangladesh in terms of a Secular state. Considering that BNP formed an alliance with the extremist and Rajakar group of Jammat and now AL did the same with Another Extremist group(khleafat majlish), I guess really hurts our pride as a citizen of Bangladesh.Womens cricket helps to identify the fact that we are still capable of Showing our middle finger to these extremist groups and carry our nation forward.
Although i feel that this post violates the board rules but i had to make it.

Ahmed_B
January 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
These early matches of Women's cricket reminds me little bit about BD cricket team(men)'s early day matches during the ICC associate days. We fans used to be very pleased about the team if they could manage to score something near 200 runs against Test teams. In those days... there were not many boundary hitters in BD team. The Test team-players would hit BD bowling easily to the boundaries.. but the BD batsmen would find it quite hard to hit. That is why Akram Khan was quite a delight to watch... because he was the lone striker and the greatest entertainer. In those days... the fans used to believe that BD batsmen are physically/mentally weaker to hit frequent boundaries.

It's really pleasing to see how things have changed in time. Tiny players like Aftab now hit the greatest boundaries. It's an improvement in both physical fitness and mental confidence level. Everything needs time to get set to the right tempo. Women's cricket will also, in time, become competitive and upto the mark for sure. Give them some time... after all, they have started several decades later than Men's cricket in our country! :)

Miraz
January 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
As expected, muslim extermists are taking hard stance against the tournament. BCB and government should deal this strongly. Pakistan being a more conservative country has women test team and has doemstic tournaments for years.

From cricinfo

Bangladesh Islamic group protests against women's cricket
Cricinfo staff and agencies
January 28, 2007
A Muslim group has protested against the new women's league in Bangladesh, labelling it "anti-Islamic". They have called on the interim government to scrap the ten-team tournament in Dhaka, just hours after the organisers were celebrating a trouble-free launch.
The hardline Islamic Constitution Movement, which has no representation in parliament, said women's cricket, and other field sports such as football, represented "alien culture." They called the league "anti-Islamic."
In a statement they said: "Women's cricket and football in front of thousands of spectators is against the country's tradition and culture and also is anti-Muslim civilization."
The Bangladesh Cricket Board say the ten-team tournament will continue as planned, however - as will plans for the first Bangladesh women's side. The top thirty players from the competition will be chosen for further training following the final.
Bangladesh is a Muslim-majority country of 144 million that witnessed a spurt of militant attacks in late 2005 by a group that wanted courts to adhere to Islamic law. Six militants of the outlawed Jamayetul Mujahideen Bangladesh were sentenced to death in the attacks which claimed 28 lives.

Farhad
January 28, 2007, 11:25 AM
I knew it!

Kabir
January 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
These extremists have nothing better to do in life. Either they sit at home ordering their wife (or should I say wives) for everything...blaming their daughters for everything, and pointing their fingers at the women of the society, OR they have a plate of bullcrap and go for a protest against any positive leap by the women. At the same time, some of these idiots will go around abusing children, but call themselves Allah'r banda.

IMO, they should take a chillpill, and go eat all the crap in BD...for their long-time contribution in resisting any leap that women in BD made.

Kabir
January 28, 2007, 11:40 AM
Miraz bhai: The report missed something. Along with 6 men facing execution, there are a few that blew themselves up at their home with their whole family (in one case), and some that got blown while making the bombs. So on top of 28 lives that were claimed, there were a few worthless ones that tagged along.

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 28, 2007, 12:11 PM
To: Moderator: Ahmed_B

Thank you very much for making the point clear about Akram Khan. Akram Khan's batting was always entertaining. It was Akram and Rafique whose batting I enjoyed the most during that period of time. They were considered the hard hitters. "shimanar baire char run", biddut gotite bowl chole gelo shimanar baire" ai shob kintu shudhu akram ebong rafique bat korlai age shona jeto beshi.

Ahmed_B
January 28, 2007, 01:48 PM
Hei FRB... where hav u been all these months?

And yes.. I forgot to mention the other 'Superhero' Rafiq ... he sure was one of the Stars of BD batting in those days! :)

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 28, 2007, 11:10 PM
well i was always behind my laptop screen!!!! i didnt go anywhere. porashona niye aktu main ka chipay pore gesilam arki. bisshokap dekhe ar aikhnae na post kore parlam na. anyway asha kori apni bhalo achen ebong shustho achen.
khubi koshto lage akhon jokhon dekhi rafique niyomito bhabe kom run a out hoye jai. othocho age ai rafique bat hate namle 4 ar 6 ar zhor boito. 10 boll a 21 run airokom koto innings she khelche dhaka stadium a. ai kotha rafique bhulleo ami bhulbona!!!! ashole boyosh hoye gese. ar kotodin bolen!!!! but i still consider him to be an automatic choice for the team. who cares even murali cannot bat and never used to bat before that well!!! rafique is just old now and probably concentrating more on his bowling.

Imteaz
January 28, 2007, 11:41 PM
Good for Our Woman. Hope They will Improve.......................Well-Done BCB.

gatekeeper
January 29, 2007, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=Ahmed_B;366311] We fans used to be very pleased about the team if they could manage to score something near 200 runs against Test teams.QUOTE]

200? ........What are yo talking about? I still remember those days when we got out for 29 runs against Sri Lanka and they didn't even have status yet.

Kabir
January 29, 2007, 01:14 AM
200? ........What are yo talking about? I still remember those days when we got out for 29 runs against Sri Lanka and they didn't even have status yet.

So really, I guess cricket by men has come so far that many of us has lost track of it. May be a few are actually too young to remember the time when our cricket team used to be at its worst. I'm just finding it really exciting that this kind of tournament is taking place in Bangladesh.

BTW, did anyone make it to the woman's basketball matches? That was quite exciting about 7/8 years back :)

Sam
January 29, 2007, 04:12 AM
What do you mean getting all out by 29 runs, when and where? Can you, please, give us the link for that match scorecard?

Sam
January 29, 2007, 04:20 AM
Bangladesh had scored below hundred only once against Sri Lanka in 2002 in ODI #1858 (http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2002/BDESH_IN_SL/SCORECARDS/BDESH_SL_ODI2_05AUG2002.html) and that was 76 runs, which is the lowest score of Bangladesh in ODIs.

Kabir
January 29, 2007, 09:55 AM
I think the one he's talking about wasn't considered an ODI. Also, it may be a long time back, during the 80s or 90s when we were at our worst.

gatekeeper
January 29, 2007, 10:27 AM
What do you mean getting all out by 29 runs, when and where? Can you, please, give us the link for that match scorecard?

This was in the 70s or early 80s, right before Sri Lanka got full ICC memebership status. Led by Anura Tenikoon (sp?) they had player like Ille Peruma, Kallu Peruma etc. BD was represented by Yusuf Babu, Raqibul Hasan, Hira etc. Sri Lanka came to Bangladesh and played several one day matches and a three day match I think. And Kabir is right, they didn't have official ODI status.

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
wow.....
well so i think we should be proud of ourself thinking that we have come a long way. I am not saying that we are already there. There is still a long way to go but atleast we are not in that stage anymore.

Ahmed_B
January 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
Well... it atleast means that it took BD team around 25 years to come from there to the state they are today. The way BD cricket is patronized today.. women's cricket will hopefully progress faster than Men's... just because BD has Test status now and that comes with sponsorships and facilities also.

Kabir
January 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
The way BD cricket is patronized today.. women's cricket will hopefully progress faster than Men's... just because BD has Test status now and that comes with sponsorships and facilities also.

It also comes with the mentors from men's cricket, who can furthermore speak the same language. You see, our cricketers have had problems communicating with the coaches before. I hope this gap is much smaller now.

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
Well... it atleast means that it took BD team around 25 years to come from there to the state they are today. The way BD cricket is patronized today.. women's cricket will hopefully progress faster than Men's... just because BD has Test status now and that comes with sponsorships and facilities also.

yes very true. now they can host games all over the country year round. moreover, they have more exposure and publicity. i am sure they will take less time to progess. but BCB just have to keep this thing going on. if they stop this next year then there is not going to be any future.

Miraz
February 3, 2007, 12:24 PM
Khulna and Bhola reached the final of first ever Women Cricket Championship.

Khulna beat Jahangirnagar University by 113 runs at Dhaka University ground while Bhola outplayed Dhaka by three wickets at the Ansar and VDP ground.

The girls of Jahangirnagar were 66 for seven in the stipulated 28 overs in reply to Khulna 179 for six in 28 overs.

Salma Khatun of Khulna scored 67 to be named Woman of the Match.

Bhola raced to 88 for seven in 21.2 overs in reply to 87 for seven in the stipulated 25 overs.

scoilaheez
February 3, 2007, 05:27 PM
Fantastic decision, good for cricket in bangladesh as well down the track, as women may have a career path to.

Miraz
February 5, 2007, 05:57 AM
Bhola emerged as the champion of the first ever women cricket championship.

Congratulations to their girls.

Final score

Khulna Vs Bhola
Khulna 111/10 Over - 20 Salma 49* Shoheli 19/2
Bhola 113/5 Over - 27.3 Chameli 46* Jhanara 2/21
Bhola won by 5 wkts

pagol-chagol
February 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
Bhola emerged as the champion of the first ever women cricket championship.

Congratulations to their girls.

Final score

Khulna Vs Bhola
Khulna 111/10 Over - 20 Salma 49* Shoheli 19/2
Bhola 113/5 Over - 27.3 Chameli 46* Jhanara 2/21
Bhola won by 5 wkts

:hairpull: Damnit! Salma missed half century by one run. I forgot to vote. She's younger than Ashraful. Wait for her to grow up. Oh never mind. Congrats to the organizers who set up this tournament. Keep up the great work.