PDA

View Full Version : NTV leaks team to Zim-Taposh,Tamim,Sharif in

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 11:53 AM
NTV news said the 15 man team has been set and will be announced on the 25th. Sharif, Tamim, Mushfiq and Taposh are in and Pilot will sit out due to injury.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 12:04 PM
Faruq in the interview mentioned that he likes Zunaed Imrose and couple of others (I forgot). I guess Tamim jumped over him with his consistency. Zunaed's days are coming soon. Farooq is really worried about lack of form of BD batsman. He thinks performance in the domestic circuit is important for new players to penetrate into the national team. The newsmen have started to refer to Taposh as an all-rounder. Shareef is really excited about his own batting. Shahriar says all batsman have lean days, and thinks his lean patches will come to an end soon. Nothing wrong with his techniques. Bashar kebla said something, but I always block out whatever he says.

Farhad
January 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
Thats the end of Mashud......He shouldnt be brought into the WC, thats for sure. He hasnt played in the international stage for......i dunno, quite some time now. Mushfiq is gonna be brought in.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 12:18 PM
If Mushfiq can play one or two good innings, it will be very hard for the selectors to drop him for the world cup. I thought only one between Tapash and Sharif will get in but looks like both of them will get a chance to prove themselves and fight for the third seamer spot. So if I am not mistaken, these are the 15 selected for the Zim tour:

Shahriar Nafees
Tamim Iqbal
Aftab Ahmed
Sakib Al Hasan
Habibul Bashar
Mohammad Ashraful
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mashrafee Mortaza
Mohammad Sharif
Abdur Razzak
Shahadat Hussain
Tapash Baishya
Mehrab Hussain
Mohammad Rafique
Forhad Reza/ Nadif Chowdhury

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
If Mushfiq can play one or two good innings, it will be very hard for the selectors to drop him for the world cup. I thought only one between Tapash and Sharif will get in but looks like both of them will get a chance to prove themselves and fight for the third seamer spot. So if I am not mistaken, these are the 15 selected for the Zim tour:

Shahriar Nafees
Tamim Iqbal
Aftab Ahmed
Sakib Al Hasan
Habibul Bashar
Mohammad Ashraful
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mashrafee Mortaza
Mohammad Sharif
Abdur Razzak
Shahadat Hussain
Tapash Baishya
Mehrab Hussain
Mohammad Rafique
Forhad Reza/ Nadif Chowdhury

Russel out????

AsifTheManRahman
January 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
did they really drop rasel? i guess it would make sense, since it's pointless taking five seamers in the side. not that i support the idea of dropping rasel - i thought only one of taposh/sharif should've been in the team, but the selectors are obviously in a way better place to make any judgement. good to see sharif making it back to the team after such a long time - speaks of hard work and determination.

looks like it's an open field for mushfiq now; if he scores, he's in the WC team. if he doesn't, he'll have to wait.

cricket_dorshok
January 24, 2007, 12:30 PM
Pilot should be out of ODI team, no question about it. don't we have wicket keeper so that Mushfiq needs to compete with them like Tamim with Junaid .......? it seems that Mushfiq is kinda automatic choice as his predecessor.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
Russel out????

I wouldn't think they will pick Rasel when there are already four seamers in the team. Plus I am not sure whether Forhad Reza is in the team but if he is, you can add him to that list eventhough I don't count him as one.

kalpurush
January 24, 2007, 12:36 PM
Feel sad for Rasel:(
I think selectors played like Mehrab (no risk...play safe!):)
Well, now have to wait to see If Nadif could make it !!:-D

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
Ashraful said that Sharif is by far the best old ball bowler in Bangladesh. He can reverse swing the ball really well. Sharif and Ash started playing for BD at the same time 4 years ago. When Sharif got injured and couldn't ball for sometime, he became a good batsman.

tglover
January 24, 2007, 12:47 PM
Nice to see Tamim in and Sharif back. Too bad for Pilot ... bad timing of injury :( I still think he is #1 choice for the world cup because of his experience and talent ... lets hope he gets better soon and doesn't have a sad end to his international career :)

Orpheus
January 24, 2007, 01:05 PM
NOt playing Mashud in the world cup will be the biggest mistake you can make!!! There is NO TIME for EXPERIMENTATION NOW.

Mushfique will just be a back up wk... I don't see the logic in picking Sharif/taposh over Rasel though...

Miraz
January 24, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think 15 member squad will look like this -

Shahriar Nafees
Tamim Iqbal
Aftab Ahmed
Sakib Al Hasan
Habibul Bashar
Mohammad Ashraful
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mashrafee Mortaza
Mohammad Sharif
Abdur Razzak
Shahadat Hussain
Tapash Baishya
Mehrab Hussain
Mohammad Rafique
Syed Rasel/ Nadif Chowdhury

Farhad is defnitely out. I think Nadif do not have place in the current squad. Selectors might opt for him due to lack of runs from other players in the domestic league (to be fair nadif hasn't performed as well).

I am seriously against dropping Rasel. I will take Rasel over Sharif in any day.

BangladeshFan
January 24, 2007, 01:39 PM
tamim is leftie right? they chose 3 left handed openers in the team which is bad selection. why not zunaid in place of mehrab?? playing safe against zimbo babies ........ when will these bd selectors learn to be positive?

TheWatcher
January 24, 2007, 01:50 PM
tamim is leftie right? they chose 3 left handed openers in the team which is bad selection. why not zunaid in place of mehrab?? playing safe against zimbo babies ........ when will these bd selectors learn to be positive?
Junaid is a lefty too. Most of the big eight teams also open with two lefties nowadays, don't see anything wrong with that approach.

HereWeGo
January 24, 2007, 02:27 PM
NOt playing Mashud in the world cup will be the biggest mistake you can make!!! There is NO TIME for EXPERIMENTATION NOW.

Mushfique will just be a back up wk... I don't see the logic in picking Sharif/taposh over Rasel though...

If one more time someone uses the word experience to defend mashud than i will fall sick..

Get this fact right... he just cant bat... even against the most benign attack in the world. World cup 2007 will be played in future and not in past so please lets judge him by wat he is now than wat he was before.

His experience never came of ne use to the team. His captaincy (some thing that might judge hiss experience) is not only bad but is Rubbish. He stopped Shahadat from bowling right after he had gotten a hattrick in the AWAY zim series, the match that we lost on the last bowl. furthermore he did not bowl tapost the full quota of his overs in the last WC while playing against Kenya. taposh bowled really well that day and instead of him he bowled Sanwar hussain at the end, Not even a regular bowler. So please don use the word experience. he is a burden to the team neways

Farhad
January 24, 2007, 02:41 PM
If one more time someone uses the word experience to defend mashud than i will fall sick..

Get this fact right... he just cant bat... even against the most benign attack in the world. World cup 2007 will be played in future and not in past so please lets judge him by wat he is now than wat he was before.

His experience never came of ne use to the team. His captaincy (some thing that might judge hiss experience) is not only bad but is Rubbish. He stopped Shahadat from bowling right after he had gotten a hattrick in the AWAY zim series, the match that we lost on the last bowl. furthermore he did not bowl tapost the full quota of his overs in the last WC while playing against Kenya. taposh bowled really well that day and instead of him he bowled Sanwar hussain at the end, Not even a regular bowler. So please don use the word experience. he is a burden to the team neways

You would have a point if Mushfiq actually performed....Thats the thing, hes been given quite a few chances now, and i dont see Mushfiq performing any better than Pilot did. Mushfiq might be a good batsman, but since he didnt score yet, we shouldnt experiment this close to the WC. The only wicket keeper we have that has already shown the potential to score high in an international match should be kept

Mahmood
January 24, 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't see the logic in picking Sharif/taposh over Rasel though...

I remeber Whatmore mentioned he prefers allrounders over just bowler or batsman for ODI.

If Taposh/Sharif is close to Russell in Bowling yet bats much better, definitly a good choice for ODI.

HereWeGo
January 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
You would have a point if Mushfiq actually performed....Thats the thing, hes been given quite a few chances now, and i dont see Mushfiq performing any better than Pilot did. Mushfiq might be a good batsman, but since he didnt score yet, we shouldnt experiment this close to the WC

Please don tell me that u think in ODI format Pilot will come of better use. Mushfiq is a very safe keeper also and definately a better batsmen. might not be really good but better than pilot...

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 02:47 PM

Get this fact right... he just cant bat... even against the most benign attack in the world.

Forget about our national team and WC2007. Currently he is a liability even to his local team, Abahani. His batting was dragging the team down (before his injury).

The bad news is he will be back in Abahani for the next round (round 6) of local league.

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 02:51 PM
Feel sad for Rasel:(
I think selectors played like Mehrab (no risk...play safe!):)
Well, now have to wait to see If Nadif could make it !!:-D

I don't know .... I thought at-last they are playing a lit-bit aggresively by choosing Mushfiq (over Pilot), Sharif &Tapash (over Rasel may be?), Tamim (0ver Rajin and Gullu).

I just hope they also select Nadif (over Ash).... but I know that's not going to happen.:-D

sadi
January 24, 2007, 02:59 PM
The bad news is he will be back in Abahani for the next round (round 6) of local league.

Only as a batsman. So don't be surprised if you see him bat up the order and don't be surprised if Abahoni loses against Brothers.

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 03:03 PM
Only as a batsman. So don't be surprised if you see him bat up the order and don't be surprised if Abahoni loses against Brothers.
:hairpull:

‘It’s unfair to say at the moment who has been picked in the squad. The only thing I can tell you is that we have taken four seamers and both Tapash and Mohammad Sharif have been considered,’ said Faruque.

That pretty much spell out that Rasel is not in the team.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 03:17 PM
That pretty much spell out that Rasel is not in the team.

And Forhad?

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 03:23 PM
And Forhad?

Most likely out. If he comes, he need to come as a batsman allrounder. It will be between Nadif & Forhad, even though Nadif is now only batsman. Ideally it should be between Ash, Nadif and Forhad for two slots.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 03:24 PM
I don't see the logic in picking Sharif/taposh over Rasel though...

Have you been watching the games live lately? or attending the practices? Rasel isn't head and shoulder above the others, like Mashrafee is, to use "logic" as the only reason of selection.

roaring tigerz
January 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
If the news is correct, I have some major grievances about the selections.

Rasel's exclusion is yet another example of the selectors giving one of our most important cricketers the raw end of the deal. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Rasel is among the nations top 3 pacers. He adds variety to our one-dimensional bowling and swings the ball both ways, which i havent seen either taposh or sharif do. The merits of selecting a new ball bowler on the basis of their batting abilities at number 9-10 ,facing the likes of Malinga and Zaheer, is ludicrous.

What happened to Tushar? If domestic performance is the primary selection criteria, this guy has dominated the leagues in the past couple of seasons. He has never been given a fair run to prove his worth. Seems to me that the selectors have a clear preference for certain players.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 03:43 PM
Well we are talking about the third seamer position in the team and most of the teams prefer someone who can bat a little bit in that position. For example, Mahroof of Srilanka or Razzak in Pakistan. I am no way comparing Sharif or Tapash with them but trying to give you an idea. Sharif is one of the very few bowlers in Bangladesh who can reverse swing the ball and will be valuable in the middle overs and death overs. I actually like this selection.

Tushar is a hot debate for a while. In favor of Tamim I will only say this. The selectors were looking for a genuine third opener in the team and thats why he is here. Only other two options were Nazmus Sadat who is injured right now and Junaed Imrose who is still very unexperienced. Tushar is probably fighting for spots with Nadif and Forhad in the middle order and for the backup rule, I would choose someone young like Nadif who can gather experience staying with the team.

akabir77
January 24, 2007, 04:46 PM
Well acording to bdnew24.com

Probable squad: Shahriar Nafees, Mehrab Hossain Jr, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Ashraful, Saqib Al Hasan, Habibul Bashar, Mushfiqur Rahim, Abdur Razzak, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafee Bin Mortaza, Shahadat Hossain, Mohammad Sharif, Tapash Baisya and Nadif Chowdhy.

I like this team. My only wish is to change musfiq with Tusher Imran and make him keep the wkt . But BD bastting looks very strong now. and with sharif in the team we will get wkts with the old ball too. so mash can finish his quta before 44 overs.

akabir77
January 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
If the news is correct, I have some major grievances about the selections.

Rasel's exclusion is yet another example of the selectors giving one of our most important cricketers the raw end of the deal. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Rasel is among the nations top 3 pacers. He adds variety to our one-dimensional bowling and swings the ball both ways, which i havent seen either taposh or sharif do. The merits of selecting a new ball bowler on the basis of their batting abilities at number 9-10 ,facing the likes of Malinga and Zaheer, is ludicrous.

What happened to Tushar? If domestic performance is the primary selection criteria, this guy has dominated the leagues in the past couple of seasons. He has never been given a fair run to prove his worth. Seems to me that the selectors have a clear preference for certain players.

Bhai rusell er jey speed otey two way keno three way ball swing korleo labh nai. on top of that he is off form in NCL. if he can't take wkts against week NCL batsmen in KUsha what r his chances of getting wkts against IND and SL?

Miraz
January 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
I think going back to Sharif and Tapash is one step backward. There is a huge difference in domestic and international level. Farhad Reza was highest domestic wicket taker for two consecutive season but he hasn't produced anything with ball in the international matches even with the minnows.

Syed Rasel is a much better option than both Sharif and Tapash.

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 05:03 PM
Well acording to bdnew24.com

Probable squad: Shahriar Nafees, Mehrab Hossain Jr, Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Ashraful, Saqib Al Hasan, Habibul Bashar, Mushfiqur Rahim, Abdur Razzak, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafee Bin Mortaza, Shahadat Hossain, Mohammad Sharif, Tapash Baisya and Nadif Chowdhy.

I like this team. My only wish is to change musfiq with Tusher Imran and make him keep the wkt . But BD bastting looks very strong now. and with sharif in the team we will get wkts with the old ball too. so mash can finish his quta before 44 overs.

Ya pretty good team. I also hoped Tusher is included. But I was hoping he would be replacing Ash instead. Thereby we will have our 2nd standby wicketkeeper. Well I can live with ONE dead wood in the team...specially when that dead wood would be batting at #6 and therefore less chance to scew up the team.

akabir77
January 24, 2007, 05:05 PM
I think going back to Sharif and Tapash is one step backward. There is a huge difference in domestic and international level. Farhad Reza was highest domestic wicket taker for two consecutive season but he hasn't produced anything with ball in the international matches even with the minnows.

Sorry I don't agree with that statement cause sharif and tapash both have experience playing in the top level and shraif was top of the form when he got injured. remember i think he got 5 wkts in his last match. And I never like rusell for his meltary pace. I haven't seen him in a single match where he did better than the other pacers in the team. and taposh is a wkt taker. he is our agarker. bit expensive but takes wts all the time. I will take each wk against 20 less runs. and both of them r good with bat. so i think we will have a good outting in WC.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 05:07 PM

I understand what you are saying but there are few differences. Tapash and Sharif used to be our new ball bowlers before but thats not the case anymore. They will be used as the first change option. I don't think its a backward step rather a forward step because of the batting they will provide. We don't have much options left either, do we? Dollar is nothing spectecular and there is not much differnece between Rasel and Sharif or Tasash bowling wise. So why not pick someone with a better batting skill? Whats really worrying though is we don't have any good pacers coming up and if these experiments don't work out, I am not sure what our selectors will do next.

Miraz
January 24, 2007, 05:11 PM
Sorry I don't agree with that statement cause sharif and tapash both have experience playing in the top level and shraif was top of the form when he got injured. remember i think he got 5 wkts in his last match. And I never like rusell for his meltary pace. I haven't seen him in a single match where he did better than the other pacers in the team. and taposh is a wkt taker. he is our agarker. bit expensive but takes wts all the time. I will take each wk against 20 less runs. and both of them r good with bat. so i think we will have a good outting in WC.

akabir bhai, sharif never took 5 wickets in any form of international cricket. I don't know where from you got the info.

Sharif has a test bowling average of 65.07 and in ODI 41.22 which is way higher than Rasel (test 40.00 and ODI 25.15). Rasel with his gentle pace but effective swing proved his worth whenever he got opportunity against all oppositions.

About Tapash, he is not suited in ODI. The less said, the better.

sadi
January 24, 2007, 05:22 PM
You leave out the stats Rasel has against Kenya and suddenly, it doesn't look that good anymore. Rasel has odi bowling average of 36+ against all opponents except Kenya.

Statguru (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=45573;class=odiplayer;fil ter=advanced;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=KEN YA;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;g roundid=0;season=0;startdefault=2005-08-31;start=2005-08-31;enddefault=2006-12-09;end=2006-12-09;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;followon=0;resu lt=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;viewtype=aro_list;runslow=;runshigh=;batpositio n=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh= ;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wi cketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshi gh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow =;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewty pe)

Fazal
January 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
We are talking about 3rd seamer here. We know what Rasel can give us bowling wise. Now is the time to see what revamped Sharif or Tapash can give us bowling wise. Bowling wise the potential in Tapash and Sharif is much higher than Rasel. If one of them clicks it will be BIG plus for the team, because both of them are much better with the bat. By including Sharif/Tapash we will add another slogging bat at the end and reduce another tail. Now that Rafiq is kind of off-form with the bat, its more important that we add another slogger along with mashrafee.

Now if both fails with the ball, we can always bring back Rasel after the series.

akabir77
January 24, 2007, 05:38 PM
We are talking about 3rd seamer here. We know what Rasel can give us bowling wise. Now is the time to see what revamped Sharif or Tapash can give us bowling wise. Bowling wise the potential in Tapash and Sharif is much higher than Rasel. If one of them clicks it will be BIG plus for the team, because both of them are much better with the bat. By including Sharif/Tapash we will add another slogging bat at the end and reduce another tail. Now that Rafiq is kind of off-form with the bat, its more important that we add another slogger along with mashrafee.

Now if both fails with the ball, we can always bring back Rasel after the series.

exactly

FaridpurChicago
January 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
Playing in international level is totally different than our domestic level. We already saw Taposh and his effectiveness in the world cup. Do we want to see more or do we want the same result or Taposh got younger in four years?
The matter rests on our choice.

layperson
January 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
I am all for MD Sharif's inclusion. I saw him bowl earlier before he got injured and he used to bowl at a good pace and swing the ball too. He is a very good exponent of the reverse swing as well. We need that since we dont have many fast bowlers who can bowl at the death. Hopefully now they will use up mashrafee's quota before the death overs. I never liked Rasel much because he is too slow to make an impact. In the international level specialy in WI I think the batsmen will take him apart.KHaled mahmud was als one of the leading bowlers when he played in the 99 world cup and even got most wickets in the m\win against pakistan. However when bowlers like mahmud and rasel have bad days they will cost the team a lot of runs because of their speed. Rasel also does not have the bounce either to compensate for his speed. Morevoer Md SHarif is supposed to have become a good batter which would validate his selection more taking into account the fragility of our batting line up.

I am not sure about Tamim. I have only seen him play once and he did not look to have a good technique. He appeared to be someon who used brute force and the cross bat to good effect. I am stil nuetral about him. He has been consistent in the recetn past so if he can be consistent in the international level it wont reaqlly matter how he bats. I had similar reservations about SN but he is turning out to be more consistent than the others. So I will jsut wait and see how Tamim performs. I think it is a good thing to give him a chance for the ZIm tour though. Overall I must say I am happy with the selection specially because PIlot is not there even though because of injury.

akabir77
January 24, 2007, 05:45 PM
akabir bhai, sharif never took 5 wickets in any form of international cricket. I don't know where from you got the info.

Sharif has a test bowling average of 65.07 and in ODI 41.22 which is way higher than Rasel (test 40.00 and ODI 25.15). Rasel with his gentle pace but effective swing proved his worth whenever he got opportunity against all oppositions.

About Tapash, he is not suited in ODI. The less said, the better.

Like i said I wasn't sure but i think he got 3/4 in his last match if some one can pull his last ODI/test what ever he played before he got injured. I just remember that vagely that he got couple of wkts that's all.

BTW ruseel plaid 18 and sharif played 8 ODI
Sharif
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>8</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>440</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>371</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>9</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>3/40</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>3/40</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>41.22</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>5.05</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>48.88</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rusell
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>18</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>933</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>654</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>26</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>4/22</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>4/22</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>25.15</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>4.20</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>35.88</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They are pretty close. And sharif can do the reverse swing I will take him any day over rusell in ODI (with batting is a big big plus).

But if sharif gets a chance he has to show against zimbo that he can do that in that level else rusell is ok with me...

same goes for Tapash.

Oh he got 4 wkts against Paki in a test
------------------------O- M- R- W- Avg
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap>Mohammad Sharif (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55986.html)</TD><TD align=right>35.5</TD><TD align=right>-10 </TD><TD align=right>-98-</TD><TD align=right>4-</TD><TD align=right>2.73</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

nafees_mashrafee
January 24, 2007, 05:51 PM
<b>according to prothom alo,</b> sharif will replace farhad reza not russell. they are considering sharif as an allrounder not a third pacer, which is very alarming. taposh however may replace russell.

Miraz
January 24, 2007, 06:03 PM
You leave out the stats Rasel has against Kenya and suddenly, it doesn't look that good anymore. Rasel has odi bowling average of 36+ against all opponents except Kenya.

Statguru (http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=45573;class=odiplayer;fil ter=advanced;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=KEN YA;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;g roundid=0;season=0;startdefault=2005-08-31;start=2005-08-31;enddefault=2006-12-09;end=2006-12-09;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;followon=0;resu lt=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;viewtype=aro_list;runslow=;runshigh=;batpositio n=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh= ;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wi cketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshi gh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow =;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewty pe)

Sadi bhai, why we should leave out the stats against Kenya ?

Anyway, even in that case the average is better than Sharif (41.22).

Miraz
January 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Like i said I wasn't sure but i think he got 3/4 in his last match if some one can pull his last ODI/test what ever he played before he got injured. I just remember that vagely that he got couple of wkts that's all.

akabir bhai, Sharif remained wicketless in his last ODI 0/40 against Pakistan. Sharif only played against Zim and Pakistan.

I am not saying he is a bad bowler. What I mean, he is not a better choice than Rasel. Whenever Rasel played, he always took early wickets to put Bangladesh in command.

sunniath
January 24, 2007, 06:13 PM
i dont think rasel will be effective in flat wi wickets in the wc.tapash will be hammered there as well.sharif can do better with his reverse swing.bowling wise,all three are pretty much the same.but sharif is a better batsman i believe.right now we need a bowling all rounder.i think sharif is the right choice.he can also be used at the dept as masri is horrible in slog overs.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
I just remembered that Faruq mentioned Dollar and Tamim with Zunaed Improse as the up and coming talents of our cricket. Mashrafee will be very happy to have Sharif bowling the last overs, since it'll save him from getting beaten up. When Taposh has his game on, he has a killer slower delivery thats hard to pick out. He used to get that first wicket almost every game. If they were picked ahead of Russel, I must say that the selectors and Dav must have liked their current form more than Russel's. I would have been much more excited if Zunaed was picked. I think Zunaed and Nadif are version-2 of Bangladeshi batsmen who have the talent to take our cricket to the next level. Tamim plays on the air and lacks fundamentals. Not much different than the current version-1 players.

pagol-chagol
January 24, 2007, 06:15 PM
Isn't shahriar nafees a cousin of Tamim Iqbal?

TheWatcher
January 24, 2007, 06:51 PM
I Farhad Reza was highest domestic wicket taker for two consecutive season but he hasn't produced anything with ball in the international matches even with the minnows.
Errr, Miraz, as far I remember, Farhad Reza was the highest wicket taker only once, in the Dhaka Premier League 2004-05. On other ocassions his bowling stats are ordinary.

However, he got few good match figures for the A-team. Well, he is definately not an openning bowler material.

cricket_pagol
January 24, 2007, 07:24 PM
After rasel's champions trophy performance nobody likes him anymore!

sunniath
January 24, 2007, 08:00 PM
I would have been much more excited if Zunaed was picked. I think Zunaed and Nadif are version-2 of Bangladeshi batsmen who have the talent to take our cricket to the next level. Tamim plays on the air and lacks fundamentals. Not much different than the current version-1 players.
according to prothom-alo,tamim is more likely to be picked over zunaed because he is a better fielder than zunaed.i am still in favor of jr. becuase he will provide the much needed stability in the top order.

cricket_king
January 24, 2007, 08:06 PM
according to prothom-alo,tamim is more likely to be picked over zunaed because he is a better fielder than zunaed.i am still in favor of jr. becuase he will provide the much needed stability in the top order.

One question.........is Junaed a bad fielder? :confused:

cricket_king
January 24, 2007, 08:11 PM
I really dont want to see mehrab in that opening position. As much as i hate to admit it, i must say that i dont think we have a very big chance in this world cup. So if we already know that we wont get to the next round, then why not take a chance and play with an opener like tamim who can give us a start that mehrab cannot?

We can put mehrab soemwhere in the middle order incase of a collapse, but i think putting mehrab in dat #2 position is a waste.

roaring tigerz
January 24, 2007, 08:43 PM
Bhai rusell er jey speed otey two way keno three way ball swing korleo labh nai. on top of that he is off form in NCL. if he can't take wkts against week NCL batsmen in KUsha what r his chances of getting wkts against IND and SL?

M W Avg Econ
Rasel 18 26 25.15 4.2
Tapash 52 56 40.48 5.6
Sharif 8 9 41.22 5.1

Even in First Class matches, Rasel has a better record than both Tapash and Sharif. If he was dropped because of the last couple of league games, then the list of players dropped should also include nafees, bashar, ashraful, and rafiq.

Saying that i am all for trying out one between Tapash and Sharif or maybe both. But not at the expense of Rasel. Both of them played international cricket before. But they have never even remotely troubled top order international batsmen like Rasel has done during his brief stint at the top level.

SMHasan
January 24, 2007, 09:32 PM
I told you all earlier that Sharif will come back and he has!!! Well done my man!Technically he is very good, can do reverse swing and handy with the bat. He will improve with time. He is way better that Rasel and Taposh. All we need to do is have some patience.

Beamer
January 24, 2007, 10:57 PM
If this report is correct and I assume it is, then not much of a surprise to me. I thought they would retain the team that played last against Scotland and Zim before that. Rahim instead of Pilot. Shahadat in the starting XI instead of Rasel. That leaves four spots for the 15 to be complete. They are right to pick an extra opener not named JO. Sadat is injured. Tamim it is then. Since our preparation is for the WC in the carribean, one can safely assume, they will take two seamers with them. Right now Tapash is on a come back trail. He has been taking wkts regularly. I have no problem with his pick. I thought Rasel would be the other pacer in the squad. Instead it is Sharif. Let me say something about him. He was pretty impressive until the groin injury did him in. We feared for his career. He has fought back nicely. He always bowled well with the older ball and now added the batting dimension. Congrats to him ! Nadif is Dav's favorite and is considered one of the purest hitters of the ball in BD. It is one day game after all and if he plays, in all probability, he will bat lower in the order. Only if his off spinners were legal ! I am not complaining over this squad. I think they have picked a good team for the Zim tour with WC in mind.

sunniath
January 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
One question.........is Junaed a bad fielder? :confused:
yes.that is the reason why tamim is probably making the cut instead of zunaed.

cricket_king
January 25, 2007, 12:44 AM
thanks for that :)
even though it wasnt the answer i was hoping for :(

al Furqaan
January 25, 2007, 12:59 AM

disagree almost completely...mushy replacing mashud doesn't make much difference at all, and he may be a net positive.

keeping - advantage pilot, may be even
batting - even or adv mushy
leadership - even or slight adv mushy
overall - dead even or slight adv mushy

if tapash can move the ball at least a little i would consider him over rasel, or at least they would split time 50-50. i still rate rasel a slight bit over tapash, but i am glad to see tapash come back, i think he can really cement his spot at least as a backup pacer.

sharif, i never saw him play, so i won't comment. how fast is he? ppl said 120-30 k and if he can reverse swing then he might make our test 3rd or 4th pacer (tapash is worthless in test cricket). in ODIs not much chance to reverse if any at all...

yaseer
January 25, 2007, 01:01 AM
Pilot should be out of ODI team, no question about it. don't we have wicket keeper so that Mushfiq needs to compete with them like Tamim with Junaid .......? it seems that Mushfiq is kinda automatic choice as his predecessor.

What mushfiq has done to get him a place in the national side?? tell me a instance where he has played a big innings in last few months to earn a place in 11?? Nothing!!
Also to replace a legend like Pilot (13 years of international cricket) and be a automatic choice you need to show something special.

al Furqaan
January 25, 2007, 01:02 AM
Isn't shahriar nafees a cousin of Tamim Iqbal?

SN is a cousin of nafees iqbal, and thus is also tamim's cousin...don't know if they are apon cousins tho.

Dhakablues
January 25, 2007, 01:10 AM
Mushfiq: match......................................Highest ...............avg <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 5</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 24</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 18*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 24.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Mashud: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 126</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>110</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 27</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 1818</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>71*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap> 21.90</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap></TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That 71* was against Australia, and he is not a better batsmen than a player with 18*? My persona feel is as much as Faruq hates that Mushfiq or other wicketkeepers are not performing, he will have to pick Mashud for the world cup. There will be a media/fan riot if he is dropped from the final squad. Mushfiq has done nothing in the domestic league forget about matching even what Junaed, Tusher, Sharif et al are doing. I still think that we should groom a middle order batsmen to become a part time wicket keeper for ODIs. ILets face it, ts not that we have a Shoaib Akher or Shane Warne in the team that we have to have a specialist wicketkeeper. But before any of that happens,,,, like it or not Khaled Mashud is the guy you will see flirting with the Indies chix near the swimming pool next month

Imteaz
January 25, 2007, 01:23 AM
I Haven't found any Controvercy about This Team. It is a Balanced and Strong Team.

The Best Eleven is

1. Shahriar Nafees
2. Mehrab Hussain
3. Aftab Ahmed
4. Mohammad Ashraful
5. Habibul Bashar
6. Sakib Al Hasan
7. Mushfiqur Rahim
8. Mohammad Sharif
9. Mashrafee Mortaza
10. Abdur Razzak or Mohammad Rafique (Condition Allow to Play with One Spinner Only)
11. Shahadat Hussain

12. Tapash Baishya
13. Tamim Iqbal
14. Forhad Reza
15. Nadif Chowdhury

A Good Chance for Tamim Iqbal and Nadif Chowdhury. Hope They will be able to Utilize This Chance to be Selected in WC Team. In This Series Every Players Should be Allowed to Play At Least Two Matches out of Four. Mashrafee should be Handled Little Carefully. In Last WC He got Injured and Came Back to Home. No Comments about Mohammad Rafique. He is one of the Superstar of Our Cricket. Tapash and Sharif have got a Chance, They should Utilize. Zimbabwe Condition will Help Them. Other Need to be Judged Properly.

I Think, Khaled Mashud is out of the Team Because of Injury. I am Sorry to Say, I don't Think Still Mushfiqur Rahim is a Replacement of Khaled Mashud. He Needs some More Time. He is a Good Choice but He Needs to Play atleast 20-25 ODI and 5-7 Test. After that he can be Replacement of Khaled Mashud.

Career Record of Mushfiqur Rahim
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc height=17><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>mat</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>inns</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>no</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>runs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>hs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>ave</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>bf</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>sr</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>100</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>4s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>6s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>ct</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>st</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>Tests</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>4</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>24</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>19</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>6.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>85</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>28.23</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>5</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>24</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>18*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>24.00</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>35</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>68.57</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>2</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Career Record of Khaled Mashud
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=right bgColor=#cccccc height=17><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>class</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>mat</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>inns</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>no</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>runs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>hs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>ave</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>bf</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>sr</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>100</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>50</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>4s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>6s</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>ct</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>st</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>Tests</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>41</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>79</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>9</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1361</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>103*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>19.44</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>3970</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>34.28</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>3</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>145</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>75</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>8</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap align=left>ODIs</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>126</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>110</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>27</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>1818</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>71*</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>21.90</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>3315</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>54.84</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>0</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>7</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap></TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap></TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>91</TD><TD class=profiles-stats-data noWrap>35</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Management Should Provide Some More Time to Mushfiqur Rahim to be Prepared. Otherwise it will be Very Tough for Him to Handle the Presure of International Cricket.

Problem is Sometimes Our Management Takes Some Wrong Decission that Ultimately Puzzle Our Team. I Hope Management will not take any Suicidal Decission. This Series will Not be Easy like The Previous one Because of the Condition. Zimbabwe will Play in Their Home Soil. If Everything is Alright, Our This Team can Win the Series 4-0 or 3-1. But If They Fail to Win the Series or Even Draw 2-2 then I should Say, The win of 18 Matches out of 28 from Last Year (2006) was totally Useless. According to Their Strength Bangladesh must win the Series.

Have a Nice Time.

nmhimal
January 25, 2007, 07:16 AM
Khaled Mashud misses out
Cricinfo staff
January 25, 2007
The Bangladesh Cricket Board have announced a 15-man squad for the tour of Zimbabwe. The side, which leaves next week, will play four ODIs.
The side is without experienced wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud who has failed to shake off an injury. His omission gives another chance to the talented tennager Mushfiqur Rahim.

Bangladesh Habibul Bashar (capt), Shahriar Nafees, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe Mortaza, Tushar Imran, Mohammad Ashraful, Shakib Al Hasan, Mehrab Hossain, Shahadat Hossain, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mohammad Sharif, Tapash Baisya, Abdur Razzak, Tamim Iqbal Khan.

Miraz
January 25, 2007, 07:23 AM
So, Nadif Chowdhury misses out from the squad leaked by NTv. I am surprised to see Tushar Imran in the squad.

I think its a consolation for him before leaving him out from the World Cup squad without playing any match in the current series. :)

fwullah
January 25, 2007, 07:59 AM
I don't know why all our experienced players just lose their form right before a major tournament like the World Cup.

We should not have included Saquib, Forhad Reza and Mehrab Junior just a year before the World Cup. That has been done - we're still not sure if these 3 players are good enough for the International stage, although we're certain that they're good enough against Zimbabwe and Kenya (but that's not what we should aim for, is that?). Now we're on the verge of including yet another newbie in Tamim Iqbal.

Faruque Ahmed is right in one sense - he's worried that all our players have just lost their form right before the World Cup (or, shall we say, they were really never in form - not in terms of domestic cricket of Bangladesh with a few exceptions).

If we must aim at beating one of the giants - India or Sri Lanka again, then we must rely on our old guards - because it is they who will be taking us to victories, if any; not our talented yet shaky newbies. All these newbies can do is pull up a few surprises for half an hour or so, or in other words, they'll make a start.

pagol-chagol
January 25, 2007, 08:05 AM
So, Nadif Chowdhury misses out from the squad leaked by NTv. I am surprised to see Tushar Imran in the squad.

I think its a consolation for him before leaving him out from the World Cup squad without playing any match in the current series. :)

NTV didn't mention Nadif, Farahad or Tushar. Some BC members thought Nadif or Farhad is the 15th man. Tushar has been in great form in the league. He just played another match winning inning.

Rubu
January 25, 2007, 08:21 AM
Tushar has been in great form in the league. He just played another match winning inning.Had tushar ever been in a bad form while playing for any other team beside national team? he will always do good outside, but as soon as brought in into national team, he will chock.

sadi
January 25, 2007, 09:05 AM
Sooner or later, this Tushar drama has to stop. Either Tushar needs to start performing or selectors need to stop picking him. He is an excellent player and will be a great addition to our team once he starts performing but just cant seem to handle the pressure. I hope sooner rather than later he realizes, the way he deals with it is not helping and start playing his natural game. Believe it or not, I am quite happy with the decision to go with Tushar instead of Nadif.

BangladeshCricket
January 25, 2007, 09:45 AM
Still not sure why we having difficulty picking the right candidate for Zimb and then world cup. We can't change our ability overnight, so I guess whatever happens we have to accept it, but our players should give whatever they have.

Not sure how other countries pick their players but one shocking thing is if a players(especially a batsman) do good in leagues, for some reason they fail when they get chance in national team (e.g. Tushar,Sezan, Al Shahriar etc.). Is it our league that is not international level, or it's the batsmen's fault. On the other hand, our bowlers are just mediocore and even in international level their performance is also similar.

May be we need to change our National league, selection process and overall cricket development process to meet standard with international level cricket.

akabir77
January 25, 2007, 10:05 AM
Sooner or later, this Tushar drama has to stop. Either Tushar needs to start performing or selectors need to stop picking him. He is an excellent player and will be a great addition to our team once he starts performing but just cant seem to handle the pressure. I hope sooner rather than later he realizes, the way he deals with it is not helping and start playing his natural game. Believe it or not, I am quite happy with the decision to go with Tushar instead of Nadif.

Bhai which other player had performed aboard against strong team? All i remember he did started the fight against Australia with his 32 and gave the courage to others. he didn't had a long stint(back to back games) at all. yeah he should get some time(back to back again) in the middle and if he can't do better then drop him...

roaring tigerz
January 25, 2007, 10:05 AM
Nafees
Mehrab/Tameem
Aftab
Sakib
Bashar
Ashraful/Tushar
Mushfiq
Mashrafee
Rafiq
Razzak
Shahadat
Tapash/Sharif
So there are 3 positions up for grabs now. The opening slot, number 6 and the third seamer/all-rounder. I would go for Tameem, Ash and Sharif for the first game and then go from there

sadi
January 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
Nafees
Mehrab/Tameem
Aftab
Sakib
Bashar
Ashraful/Tushar
Mushfiq
Mashrafee
Rafiq
Razzak
Shahadat
Tapash/Sharif
So there are 3 positions up for grabs now. The opening slot, number 6 and the third seamer/all-rounder. I would go for Tameem, Ash and Sharif for the first game and then go from there

The problem is your lineup is 12 man lineup. We can only play three seamers with a spinner or two seamers plus two spinners.

rudro
January 25, 2007, 10:59 AM
These were the 15 players for the Scotland games (if I am right):Habibul Bashar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habibul_Bashar) c (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_%28cricket%29), Nadif Chowdhury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadif_Chowdhury), Abdur Razzak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdur_Razzak), Aftab Ahmed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftab_Ahmed),Sakib Al Hasan (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sakib_Al_Hasan&action=edit), Mehrab Hossain jnr (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mehrab_Hossain_jnr&action=edit), Mashrafe Mortaza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashrafe_Mortaza), Mohammad Ashraful (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Ashraful), Mohammad Rafique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Rafique), Farhad Reza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhad_Reza), Rajin Saleh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajin_Saleh), Shahadat Hossain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahadat_Hossain), Shahriar Nafees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahriar_Nafees), Syed Rasel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syed_Rasel), Mushfiqur Rahim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushfiqur_Rahim)

The 15-member squad annonced today has Tushar for Nadif, Sharif for Farhad, Tapash for Rasel and Tamim for Rajin. My take on this:
1. Tushar for Nadif: Not a bad replacement considering Nadif will still have his chances as long as he is consistent. On the other hand, we can not just dump Tushar without giving him enough chances. Selectors somehow forgets this for other players such as Rokon and Ehsanul.
2. Sharif for Farhad: I am skeptical. If Sharif gets some game, we will find out how fruitful this decision is. I consider Sharif a better bowler than Farhad. But I think Farhad is a better batsman than Sharif.
3. Tapash for Rasel: An absurd choice! The logic that Tapash can contribute some runs (which Rasel can't) is being cited in support of his inclusion. But everyone is forgetting how generous Tapash is to the batsmen on the oponent team. We need early breakthrough - the only player who consistently did that for us is Rasel.
4. Tamim for Rajin: Rajin is more Mehrab (JO!)-like. If we prefer to keep Mehrab in the team, then Rajin must go!(I would play him in longer version). I like the idea of introducing Tamim. But don't introduce him in the very first game! Give Mehrab two games and then if he does not perform, introduce Tamim. If we win first three games, let all other players without a game play in the 4th.

Rubu
January 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
According to CI, forhad reza missed out. Question is, wasn't it too early both way, bringing him in and leaving him out?

SMHasan
January 25, 2007, 11:22 AM
We should not have included Saquib, Forhad Reza and Mehrab Junior just a year before the World Cup. That has been done - we're still not sure if these 3 players are good enough for the International stage, although we're certain that they're good enough against Zimbabwe and Kenya (but that's not what we should aim for, is that?). Now we're on the verge of including yet another newbie in Tamim Iqbal.

It is true that it would be nice if we could have brought those young guns a year early into the team but you gotta consider some factors. Those young ones were not the same player as they are now. You just can't put them in them in the fire before testing them in the domestic and age level cricket. We all know that our domestic cricket is lacking in standard but without playing domestic level or in U-19 no one should be allowed in the national team. There are exceptions.

pagol-chagol
January 25, 2007, 11:22 AM
Tushar's back-up wicket keeping skills give him an edge.

roaring tigerz
January 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
The problem is your lineup is 12 man lineup. We can only play three seamers with a spinner or two seamers plus two spinners.

I know there are 12 players in the list! In all likelihood we would go to every match with 2 pacers and 2 spinners.
For the next game, a couple of the seniors could be rested. For one Rafiq. Sharif can have a game. Mash can also take a game off to play Tapash. Similarly resting Habibul to give Tushar a look in isn't a bad idea either. Any combination among the 15 chosen, should be good enough for Zimbabwe.

TheWatcher
January 25, 2007, 12:26 PM
Tushar's back-up wicket keeping skills give him an edge.
I thought it's his handy offspin that gave him the edge, did not know that he keeps wicket too. He is a very crappy fielder, and I thought that would be the main reason Nadif would be preferred over him for the ODI team.

shamster
January 25, 2007, 05:29 PM
BBC says Tamim will play no 3 in the series ?? is this true ?

SMHasan
January 25, 2007, 07:44 PM
BBC says Tamim will play no 3 in the series ?? is this true ? Really? In their website?

HereWeGo
January 25, 2007, 08:14 PM
Really? In their website?

Everyone thinks Tushar can also do a keepers job... Was he actually a WK for ne teams in the past?? Is anyone aware of how effective he is?

Even if he is Ok.. than we should include him as a keeper batsmen... this would give us real depth in batting. India was successful with draavid, altho dravid wsnt world class in any way so we might alos wanna try something like that.

HereWeGo
January 25, 2007, 08:15 PM
Sorry my previous post wasnt a reply.....it was a slip of Mouse

akabir77
January 26, 2007, 10:36 AM
M W Avg Econ
Rasel 18 26 25.15 4.2
Tapash 52 56 40.48 5.6
Sharif 8 9 41.22 5.1

Even in First Class matches, Rasel has a better record than both Tapash and Sharif. If he was dropped because of the last couple of league games, then the list of players dropped should also include nafees, bashar, ashraful, and rafiq.

Saying that i am all for trying out one between Tapash and Sharif or maybe both. But not at the expense of Rasel. Both of them played international cricket before. But they have never even remotely troubled top order international batsmen like Rasel has done during his brief stint at the top level.

Can u take out matches against zimbo and kenya from russell and see the stat? i mean when taposh and sharif was playing then both kenya and zimbo were stronger then us. You will see the stat is miss leading...

btw I never saw rusell giving trouble to the top class batsmen (nor does taposh). But when i watch them bowl rusell use to frustrate me more and I am willing to take chance in pitches @ WI with sharif and taposh then Rusell. And I am glad that the selectors thinks that way too.

Personally I think taposh will not get a chance in WI he is there as a backup just incase someone gets injured or something.. its sharif that going to get a chance when we will need three simmers.

Dhakablues
January 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
Tusher was backup wicket keeper in matches with Bangladesh A team ovesease. He can bowl, bat fluidly and keep parttime... So, the selectors had to keep him in the 15. But the real question is,,, when the hell is he going to wake up and start performing? He got few chances but never outshone or proved pivotal in winning a game. He was never the "hero" we liked to see. He is just becoming another Tareq Aziz,,, except Tareq Aziz was the one who bowled us to the start of wins against Zimbabwe first time few years back

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 12:43 PM
Tusher was backup wicket keeper in matches with Bangladesh A team ovesease. He can bowl, bat fluidly and keep parttime... So, the selectors had to keep him in the 15. But the real question is,,, when the hell is he going to wake up and start performing? He got few chances but never outshone or proved pivotal in winning a game. He was never the "hero" we liked to see. He is just becoming another Tareq Aziz,,, except Tareq Aziz was the one who bowled us to the start of wins against Zimbabwe first time few years back

exactly. this guy works his pacha off to get into the team. but once he gets in to the team, its all over for him. he goes back to sleep. and eventually gets kicked out and eventually he wakes up again and does all the hard work he needs to, to get back into the team again.
god i am really tired of this ridiculous cycle, rotation. we already saw the show by al shahriar. i dont think we want to see the same show once more by a different actor.
i guess this should be his last chance. cuz its hurting him, its hurting the team. cuz we have to put him in the 15 man squad, instead of putting him we could use that for some else, such as farhad reza or russell or maybe even young nadif chowdhury.

roaring tigerz
January 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
Can u take out matches against zimbo and kenya from russell and see the stat? i mean when taposh and sharif was playing then both kenya and zimbo were stronger then us. You will see the stat is miss leading...

btw I never saw rusell giving trouble to the top class batsmen (nor does taposh). But when i watch them bowl rusell use to frustrate me more and I am willing to take chance in pitches @ WI with sharif and taposh then Rusell. And I am glad that the selectors thinks that way too.

Personally I think taposh will not get a chance in WI he is there as a backup just incase someone gets injured or something.. its sharif that going to get a chance when we will need three simmers.

Well, even if you take out the games Rasel played against Zim and Kenya his economy rate is under 5. Tapash might be quicker than Rasel, but the 125-130 km/hr speed would not hardly unsettle any international batsmen, as Taposh himself has proved time and again.

Rasel may not be the finished product yet, but even at 22 he is a more skillful bowler than both Tapash and Sharif. His Test match spell in Srilanka is testament to that. He is more accurate. His left arm bowling also lends variety to our attack. And remember, the third pacer would only play if the pitch provides substantial assistance to the bowlers. This is exactly where Rasel would have been in his elements. And why was he left out of the team in the first place? For one bad game against the West Indies, when every other bowler was also torn to shreds by Gayle? I do not see any consistency in this selection. Once again the short sightedness of the selectors has prevailed.

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 26, 2007, 01:38 PM
well rassell got to do the ad. so the selectors thought they should let tapash and shariff in the team.

zahid
January 27, 2007, 06:54 PM
Thats the end of Mashud......He shouldnt be brought into the WC, thats for sure. He hasnt played in the international stage for......i dunno, quite some time now. Mushfiq is gonna be brought in.

Ahem!

Pilot is no. 1 wicketkeeper in Asia. ( if you don't consider his batting performance )

layperson
January 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
Ahem!

Pilot is no. 1 wicketkeeper in Asia. ( if you don't consider his batting performance )

HAhahahahahaha Joke of the month.
If you are serious then I would say :timeout: .

FaltuRidwanBhai
January 27, 2007, 07:44 PM
i dont think mushfiq should play in the WC unless he does something extraordinary in the zimbabwe series. cuz it will be overwhelming for this kid!!!!! he might just even have a heart attack!!!!