PDA

View Full Version : rafique to retire???

al Furqaan
February 2, 2007, 07:08 PM
just saw an Rtv clip on youtube in which rafique said he told the BCB the world cup was his last hurrah. BCB told him to keep playing for the country, rafique said he would play WC, then come and discuss with BCB and give them his final decision.

surprised no one caught this news.

he also mentioned he would like to be a curator and make good wickets, and if BCB wanted him to coach our SLAs he would do that.

i personally don't mind if he retires from ODI, but he should continue playing tests only. i mean we finally have tests coming and rafiq bhai can get his 100 Test wickets. he needs 13 more.

he should play Tests only till he reaches 200 wickets. now that would be awesome.

Miraz
February 2, 2007, 07:22 PM
Bangladesh is not ready yet to say good bye to Rafiq especially in test cricket. He can retire from ODI to prolong his test career. That will be a good decision.

gatekeeper
February 2, 2007, 07:38 PM
I am not ready to see him leave at all. ODI or Tests. Only true superstar in the team. But if he has to go then I like both of your suggestion.

karimjay.
February 2, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah. Retire from ODIs for Test career. We already have enough talent in the ODI bowling department. However..I've got a nagging feeling he'll retire from both at the same time..

arafath79
February 2, 2007, 07:54 PM
A player can't keep himself 100% fit all the time and Rafique is still in good form but he can't keep it for long. It will be better decision by Rafique to retire after WC from both ODI and test. I don't want to see him kicked out of the team and call him old horse after the world cup. Form a thakte thaktei biday neoa bhalo.

SMHasan
February 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
It will be great to have Rafiq for another few test series. We need him since he is still performing well. Specially in test cricket he is still like a true tiger.

BD Tigers
February 2, 2007, 08:19 PM
Sad to hear the news but it will be good that he will still play tests after WC. He wants to be a ground curator and make good pitch for the games. But he says that he will coach SLAs when BCB asks him to.

Rubu
February 2, 2007, 09:05 PM
age is catching up, even though he does not have a replacement yet, he has served the country a lot already and if he decides to retire, i would honor that. he has already done his part.

cricket_king
February 2, 2007, 09:39 PM
NO! DON'T LEAVE US! :(
He's probably the most respected bangladeshi cricketer and i dont think bangladesh is ready to see him go. But if he must go, then so be it. It's his decision after all, but i do like the idea him of retiring from ODI's and prolonging his test career.

sunniath
February 2, 2007, 10:00 PM
i think it will be the perfect time for him to go.enamul has grown as a spinner for test matches.there are plenty of spinners who are waiting for their turns.rafiq should stay with the team as a bowling coach for the upcoming spinners.plus,he wants to be a curator.that is just wonderful.bubul is coaching a local side,moni is an umpire and now rafiq.this is a wonderful news.

ialbd
February 2, 2007, 10:09 PM
Rafiq has more to give to his team, but I also think its a good time to go. He'll go down as a legend (inshALLAH that'll still stand after the WC) and he can work as a coach/curator or anything he likes after his retirement.

Tokyobreeze
February 2, 2007, 10:48 PM
I think unlike many of the players who just want to keep their place in team, Rafiq wants to retire with his head high.He wants to go when he is still performing.A great fighter and real contributor for the team, he has been.

I agree that he should stay in tests.He is awesome and has lot more to give to the team.I hope he won't take any hasty decision.Even if he retires from ODI, we wanna see him in tests for one/two years or so.

al Furqaan
February 2, 2007, 11:06 PM
age is catching up, even though he does not have a replacement yet, he has served the country a lot already and if he decides to retire, i would honor that. he has already done his part.

he has done more that his part.

still he should stay on as a test cricketer...we still need him. plus if we play 3 pacers sometimes then he could rest those tests. but i say we don't need him in ODIs.

cricketboy
February 3, 2007, 03:15 AM
I think except Enamul we still dont have any proven test spinner. We need Rafique for at least another year of test cricket.

Carte Blanche
February 3, 2007, 03:17 AM
This is bad news. Like many already said, it's understandable if he chooses to retire from ODIs. We definitely need him for a couple of more years to at least groom our young spinners in the test arena.

I hope he pulls a chacha.

kfirooz
February 3, 2007, 04:43 AM
he has done more that his part.

still he should stay on as a test cricketer...we still need him. plus if we play 3 pacers sometimes then he could rest those tests. but i say we don't need him in ODIs.

I don't understand why some say that they don't need a proven performer specially when he is fit than many. Rafique can play on in both tests and ODI and I am sure he will until he remains fit and in form.
I don't see any player emerging to take on his position and as hard working as he is.

fwullah
February 3, 2007, 06:26 AM
I think Rafique should play a year or so after the world cup.

Rafique is still a vital player for us especially in test cricket because we're letting so many yongsters in our side with so little first class experience - I don't know what we'll do when we play our next test series, because I fear that there is a big possibility of getting whacked badly by the big test teams.

shamster
February 4, 2007, 12:07 PM
Bangladesh is not ready yet to say good bye to Rafiq especially in test cricket. He can retire from ODI to prolong his test career. That will be a good decision.
Spot on Miraz bhai, I think in ODI Abdur Razaaq has finally come of age, but we still require him for tests until Enamul does the trick.

Imteaz
February 6, 2007, 12:37 AM
I Think Rafique Should Retire from ODI Level After World Cup.
Still He is Necessary in Test Level for Us. But He can Retire at the End of This Year.

Sumon77
February 6, 2007, 01:35 AM
It will be good decision by Rafiq if he retires from ODI after WC07. Unlike most of the retired players, he will leave with his head high. For test, he should wait for his 100 wickets (currently 87) and 1000 test runs (currently 982). Then he will be the first Bangladeshi allrounder with 100 test and ODI wickets and 1000 test and ODI runs.

Tigers_eye
February 6, 2007, 03:10 PM
quiting in April vs quiting at the end of July. Only few months. That way he can have a shot at his 100 test wickets and 1000 runs for sure in 8 innings of play.

FaltuRidwanBhai
February 7, 2007, 12:10 AM
jaihok,
rafique notun kore kintu tar shommondhe ar kichui bolar nai. jedin theke cricket khela buzha shuru korechilam shaidin theke kintu rafique khelche. rafique tar nam kintu bangladesher cricket itihashi shonar okkhore lekha thakbe. ai rokom fighter ai rokom all rounder kintu komi dekheche bangladesher cricket. test ki one day du dhoroner cricket ai kintu tini shomoy parodorshi. bowl ki bat ki dhuto tai kintu tini parodorshi. akjon adorsho all rounder kintu tini. ami obosshoi chaibo tini aro kheluk. gotokalo tini proman korechen doler tini akjon oporiharjo shodossho. onekai bolchen one day te rajjak rafique ar theke agiye. ami kintu akhono shai kothai akmot hote parlam na. kalke kintu amaderke rafique bachiyechilo batting biporjoy theke, rajjak noi. ebong test a rafique kintu rafique. tar kintu akhono kono protiddondi nai. rafique was born to play cricket. rafique onnoder moton na. very hard working. if he was not a hard working player then he would have been thrown out of the team long time ago. the youngsters have a lot to learn from him. they should atleast try to learn from him how to stay in form for such a long time and how to work hard.